Delivery van stolen - keys left in - nicky cruz
I own a company, and a driver left the keys in the ignition whilst he made a quick (1-2mins delivery) 10 yards from the van. As his back was turned, someone stole the vehicle. It appeared a few weeks later - a complete write off. Our insurance company have just rejected our claim referring to a clause in the policy which invalidates the insurance if the keys are left in an unattended vehicle.
This incident has meant that the hire company (whose vehicle it was) have issued us with a £12,000 invoice in settlement of the loss, and continue to charge us £330.00 a month (hire fee on a van we don't have) until this is paid.
This can't be the first time this sort of thing has happened, and I am interested to know if there is a recommended course of action that I could take before I threaten my now ex-employee with court action unless he pays the bill.
I am also aware that court action can be expensive and long winded with a great possibility that the person will be 'unable to pay' despite me winning the case.
Any information/advice on this would be much appreciated
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - Mapmaker
I am unhappy about providing any suggestions as theis strikes me as complete incompetence on the part of your driver. However...

www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/ombuds...m

As for going after your ex employee - was there a clause in his contract about this?
Thanks for the link.

No, there was nothing specific in his contract other than 'misuse of company's property' being cited as an example of gross misconduct.

The legal advice I have received indicates that I would still have a strong case based on his negligence and him breaching an implied term of employment whereby he would excercise reasonable care and skill as he performed his duties.

But thats all very well and good, if I take him to court and he can't pay I am left with a £12,000 bill a few £330 invoices and a legal bill of say £4000.

Legal president must have been set which would give us both a pretty good idea of where liability lies without unnessecery legal fees
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - FotheringtonThomas
The legal advice I have received indicates

Isn't that good enough? If it's informal in any way, well - stump up the small amount of money to discuss the matter with a suitable legal practitioner.
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - Statistical outlier
Legal president must have been set which would give us both a pretty good idea
of where liability lies without unnessecery legal fees

I'm unclear, are you wanting to get out of paying for the van, or to find a way to make the insurance pay up?

I can't really see how you could manage either - the leaving of keys in the van was gross negligence, and I can't see how you can get around that.

Could the only possible way might be through your 3rd party liability insurance, who might pay the 3rd parties' damages (loss of van) caused through your employees negligence? No idea, I'm sure someone will have though.

If not, I think you might be stuffed.
I'm unclear are you wanting to get out of paying for the van or to
find a way to make the insurance pay up?

My next step (at the request of the ex employee) is to appeal to the insurance company against their decision. They may consider the circumstances unfortunate and make a contribution, unlikely but possible.

If this fails then unless the matter can be resolved mutually between all parties (myself, driver and hire company) the next option for me is to decide whether the legal pursuit of £12,000 is worthwhile. I suppose it is then up to the hire company to make the same call on whether they think it is worthwhile taking me to court for the money.

£5,000 is the limit in small claims and this could be a preferred option.

Delivery van stolen - keys left in - OldSkoOL
Seek legal advice

Edit-
I see you have - replied before i submitted this post

Edited by OldSkoOL on 14/07/2008 at 14:58

Delivery van stolen - keys left in - Tron
Mapmaker - that is frightening but very enlighteneing stuff to read.

I never leave any keys, anything of value (even loose change will get a window popped) or even personal data (letters etc) in my car and I always deadlock it and put the alarm on when I go to pay for fuel too.

Same as my Satnav - never leave it in the vehicle, wipe the windscreen and NEVER have you own postcode and house number programmed in to it.

This was in the press and this year but I cannot find the article on the internet.

There have been cases that because house keys have been obtained upon theft of a vehicle...

...the thieves simply looked in the Satnav memory once they realised they too had house keys.

By the time the victim got home, additional cars they own(ed) had been also stolen (keys obtained from with the premises) and their house had been all but emptied.

None of the victims insurance companies paid out on a single one of the claims they submitted.

Edited by Tron on 14/07/2008 at 15:08

Delivery van stolen - keys left in - Falkirk Bairn
Just a crumb of comfort - value of the van?

If it is a LARGE fleet you have rented from ask to see the invoice for the exact van.

If they are a really big player then they can get 40% off RRP in many cases.
\then there is the wear and tear to deduct from that! ( your £330/mth pays some of that!)
If it is a LARGE fleet you have rented from ask to see the invoice
for the exact van.
If they are a really big player then they can get 40% off RRP in
many cases.
\then there is the wear and tear to deduct from that! ( your £330/mth pays
some of that!)

Thanks - at the time it was stolen the hire co. stated that only £9,500 was left to be paid to their finance company to pay it off (by the way it was a SWB transit 07 15,000 miles). This has now turned into £12,000.

I will ask them to provide the purchase invoice as I am sure they would not have paid the market value as you suggest.

They have been reasonable, and both myself and the hire co. understand that we have to take a 'hit' on this situation and I feel they would be willing to negotiate.

My problem is bringing the ex-employee to the table and extracting x thousands of pounds that he will predictably do all he can to avoid.

While I feel very sorry for each and every one of the people highlighted by the ombudsman, I can't help thinking that the insurance companies were absolutely right not to pay out.

Saying that, if I ever lose a car key, now I know to immediately tell my insurers so I don't get stung by this sort of thing. Scary.
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - oldnotbold
My guess is that suing the ex-employee will be good money after bad. I doubt it need cost £4,000 to bring the action, but the amount you spend will not change his likely inability to pay you.

The best you can get will be an attachment of earnings order, and that'll be £5.00 a week for a very long time.
Saying that if I ever lose a car key now I know to immediately tell my insurers so I don't get stung by this sort of thing. Scary.

Question.

When I purchased my car it came with only the one key.

I have had a second cut but it does not have all the electronic key fobby bits on it.

If my car was ever stolen without the keys and the insurance company asked to see them, would producing just the one key & fob as well as the spare key (without a fob) suffice or should I get (today) the second key & fob made?

Should I tell my insurer of this fact?

>>Thanks - at the time it was stolen the hire co. stated that only £9,500 was left to be
>>paid to their finance company to pay it off (by the way it was a SWB transit 07
>>15,000 miles). This has now turned into £12,000.

As I am sure you are aware - for you run your own business - these two sums are not related. The actual loss incurred by the company is the value of the van at the point it was stolen.

Not the balance due to finance co.

Not the cost of a new one.

I am going to hazard a guess that in terms of loss of earnings this will not be quite so high as 330pm.

Delivery van stolen - keys left in - Ravenger
I can understand the insurance companies' point of view, but the real culprit is the thief who took the van.

We're constantly told never to leave keys in cars, valuables on display, etc. just in case; but we shouldn't have to do that, and we wouldn't need to do that if the people who did these crimes were caught and punished appropriately.
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - retgwte
yep its the thief at fault not your driver

sadly in this day and age you really need to factor risks like this into your cost model

trying to hammer your driver isnt really going to win you friends amongst potential employees

Wouldn't it be lovely if the world worked like that. Sadly, the toerag count is universally high.

Leaving a car or van with the keys in it while you look (or walk) away is like leaving the equivalent value in cash lying around. Your driver is entirely culpable for a foreseeable, predictable and entirely avoidable loss.

Leave your keys in it and you can expect to lose it. Simple. Depressing, but simple.

I actually took the keys out of a new neighbours car and handed them to her when she eventually emerged about 2 mins later, introducing myself and pointing out in what I hoped was a friendly way that I could easily have driven off in less than a year old Audi. I thought I was doing her a favour, she looked at me like I was dirt. I won't bother next time.
sadly in this day and age you really need to factor risks like this into
your cost model
trying to hammer your driver isnt really going to win you friends amongst potential employees

There may be some mileage in an appeal - what does fully comprehensive mean if there are exclusions?

This clause was only pointed out to me when the claim was rejected which ia a fact I believe may help if the decision goes to the financial ombudsman.

(OK I realise they do need to defend themselves from stupidity or everyones premium goes up) however when you buy an insurance policy that is 'fully comprehensive' its a bit galling.
There may be some mileage in an appeal - what does fully comprehensive mean if
there are exclusions?

It means they will reimburse you if you take due care.

For example, if I decided that I didn't want my car any more but couldn't be bothered to sell it, so I left the keys in it then claimed when it was nicked, would you think I should get my money back? Same deliberate decision to leave the keys in a running vehicle, just the motivation that's different.

I still wonder if there's any mileage in the 3rd party liability insurance route? It seems to me that your employees negligence has caused a 3rd party (the lease co.) a loss. Seems very unfair that you would have to shoulder the loss on his behalf...

Edited by Gordon M on 14/07/2008 at 19:09

I can understand the insurance companies' point of view but the real culprit is the
thief who took the van.

Your comment has got me thinking.

If, on appeal, the insurance company still resist any sort of settlement (and I have realised we have put almost £17,000 their way since we started in 1994) then perhaps I should investigate a victims of crime fund.

Its a long shot, but there may be some compensation there
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - b308
Just a thought but the driver's defence might be that he was under so much pressure from you to do the rounds asap that he felt it quicker to leave the keys in this sort of situation and you never told him not too... just worth thinking about a defence to that if you do take him on...
Just a thought but the driver's defence might be that he was under so much
pressure from you to do the rounds asap that he felt it quicker to leave
the keys in this sort of situation and you never told him not too... just
worth thinking about a defence to that if you do take him on...

Yes a valid point if he was under the kosh of time pressure, however in this case he wasn't - he just had it in his own head to do his deliveries as quickly as he could.

In reality this meant that on the delivery before he chose to put the next box on the front passenger seat so he could save a few seconds when he arrived at his next call. This probably meant that as he reached over and got the package both hands were 'in use' so the keys were left in the ignition. He was probably taking a calculated risk...what are the chances...., but when you leave the keys in an unmarked white ford transit 07 plate with only 15,000 miles on the clock in not a brilliant area, the chances were probably higher than he thought, and the potential consequences never entered his head
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - craneboy
To which you could counter, that leaving an unattended vehicle with the engine running is an offence under the road traffic act, for which the driver could be prosecuted.

Edited by craneboy on 14/07/2008 at 19:07

"with the engine running" - not sure that's been alleged. Keys in the ignition, yes, but not running.
To which you could counter that leaving an unattended vehicle with the engine running is
an offence under the road traffic act for which the driver could be prosecuted.

I don't think the engine was actually running - just the keys left in.

What gets me is the accountability - because of the circumstances of the theft our insurance is invalidated. The driver - if I take him to court for the money will very probably plead poverty (whilst his sky plus subscription stays intact) so I will end up with a derisory figure which he may then fail to pay and I call in my solicitors yet again.

Why should I risk a potential £4000 legal fees just to hear the judge say that he can't pay?

My one ace is that the hire company (whose van it was) don't want to take me to court for the same reasons I don't want to take him to court - we are small and it may be an expensive waste of time
NC - what is the legal status of your company - Ltd. I guess?
NC - what is the legal status of your company - Ltd. I guess?

Yes it is limited - only recently become so (2006) so I don't really know anything about the implication of this in relation to this situation.

I will give my accountant a call tomorrow and find out
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - stuartl
Have you or are you now in the process of changing your employees contracts to state that if this type of thing happens then they will be liable for any losses that may occur?

It might be difficult to extract the money from them after the event as your name will be on the lease/hire paperwork but might make them think before they do this kind of thing.

Maybe someone could design a device that wont let you open the driver's door unless the keys have been removed from the ignition.

Goodness! , what am I saying, I might have let slip an idea that could make me a millionaire!

If I see this on Dragon's Den I will be gutted :)

By the way £330 pcm sounds a lot of money for a one year old SWB Transit, is that the going rate these days?

Edited by Webmaster on 15/07/2008 at 02:00

Have you or are you now in the process of changing your employees contracts to
state that if this type of thing happens then they will be liable for any
losses that may occur?

Yes the contracts of all the employees are being rewritten, however the sad fact is that if this did happen again in exactly the same circumstances I may will again face the 'take him to court/spend on solicitors/no guarantee of payment quandry that I am in today.

As you say it may well make them think twice so it could avaid it happpening in the first place.

Maybe someone could design a device that wont let you open the driver's door unless
the keys have been removed from the ignition.

Our other transit- an old BT one has just this device on the locks - you can't leave the loading doors unlocked so you have to have the key in your hand to get the goods.
By the way £330 pcm sounds a lot of money for a one year old
SWB Transit is that the going rate these days?

We are VAT registered so its a bit less, but it was only supposed to be a tempory cash flow measure until we could buy a reasonable second hand one!!!
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - movilogo
If you are comprehensive and hit by uninsured driver, you can claim your losses from your insurer. The insurer will then drag the other party to recover their money.

Why the same can't happen here? The OP could claim from his insurer and then insurer will pursue either the driver or the thief to recover their loss.

Why the same can't happen here? The OP could claim from his insurer and then
insurer will pursue either the driver or the thief to recover their loss.

I will put this very scenario to my insurance broker and report back
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - ifithelps
nc,

Do you not want it both ways with this guy?

You expect him to be responsible for losses he caused the company - the van.

Yet presumably you were happy to take responsibility for the profits - less his fixed wage - he made for you before he stupidly lost the van.

Although I don't blame you for trying.

Do you not want it both ways with this guy?
Yet presumably you were happy to take responsibility for the profits - less his fixed
wage - he made for you before he stupidly lost the van.

Sounds like you have never run a company.

I suppose you would also drum up some argument about the lack of employee stability if I were to pay on a 'comission only' basis
Yet presumably you were happy to take responsibility for the profits - less his fixed
wage - he made for you before he stupidly lost the van.

That leaves me speechless. If a driver 'causes' losses by getting stuck in traffic, or getting lost, or dropping a parcel and damaging it, well that's tough for the company; all these things happen, and it would be quite unreasonable for the company to expect them to pay up.

He left keys in a nearly new van while he walked off. That's criminally stupid, and the van getting nicked was entirely foreseeable. I cannot comprehend how you could think it unreasonable for him to be blamed. Saying that, I can't see how the OP could get anywhere chasing it.

The British attitude of never taking responsibility for their own actions has me despairing sometimes.
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - R75
As far as the driver goes, you have done about as much as is possible. Very little chance of recovering any money from him. His word against yours, was it normal practice to leave keys in van in the yard? Did the keys ever get left behind the front wheel ready for an early start etc? If you answer yes to any of the questions or any similar ones then you are on a hiding to nothing.

From my experience as a transport manager the company always comes off worse in situations like this. I would try the insurance company again telling them the driver went against company policy/procedure and therefore it was not foreseeable (this would have better effect if you have a training manual etc).
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - Paul I
Just to echo the above from "R 75" you are in a NO win situation firstly even if you had written in to the guy's contract that he was responsible for the van then a court would find this unreasonable. All contracts have to reflect the role of the employee and your dealing with a delivery driver not a trained surgeon a court would take this into account the fairness of a contract.

I work in the transport industry and we use to pay a quarterly no damage bonus worth about 3k this was deemed to be ?unfair? and had to be reduced to 1 month?s loss of bonus if a driver had a fault accident/claim.

As for the bills yes they will keep coming at least it?s only a 12k van think if it had been an artic. Sorry to be harsh but there isn?t a nice way to say that a hire company will be charitable. !! (NOT)
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - Hamsafar
Also be aware, that the ex-employee may claim unfair dismissal, citing that he had not been properly trained for this situation. A very similar thing happened where I work, and the unions' legal team love something like that to show other members that it is worth the £10 a month subs. I suspect there is no union membership here, but if someone took up his case they may be onto you. This is why it is best to not go into detail in the employment contract itself, but to refer to a continuous professional development programme (manuals and policies)which can then be regularly updated as appropriate.

Back to any claims against YOU, everyone has the duty to mitigate their losses. If the insurers knew right away that the keys were in the vehicle, they should have told you that they would not be paying straightaway so that you wouldn't hire the van.

Edited by Hamsafar on 14/07/2008 at 21:30

Delivery van stolen - keys left in - daveyjp
Its a real 'it won't happen to me scenario', but I see it all the time.

I've decided that when the day comes I can't afford a car if I need transport I'll go and hide near the supermarket cashpoint before the store opens. I can guarantee that within 5 minutes I'll have a motor for the day - driver out, engine left running - like taking candy from a baby.
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - meandering
I have googled briefly for a case I remember but can't find it.

A driver left his car parked with the keys in it while he went into a shop. The car was stolen and the insurance company refused to pay out.

The driver sued the insurance company and won on the basis that no-one could expect a car to be stolen in such circumstances - in Surrey!
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - Niallster
If you sue the ex-employee and win his ability to pay will be assessed.

I once successfully sued an uninsured driver for damages to my car. I got £2,000 awarded at 50p a week (I am not kidding, single mother) plus I of course had to collect.

Also you can be successfully sued for unfair dismissal if you did not get every dot and comma on the forms right and you performed all necessary actions in the correct order at the correct times I'll bet you didn't.

Swallow hard and let this aspect of the matter go.

Delivery van stolen - keys left in - Dulwich Estate
Sorry to hear about your problem nicky cruz.

I used to run a business once. In the end, despite the good income I gave it all up.

Hassle with employees, trouble with non-payers, tax man, VAT, government legislation esp. H & S.........

Anyone here surprised ?
I used to run a business once. In the end despite the good income I
gave it all up.

I agree - at some point there will need to be a greater recognition paid to people who are wealth & job creators.

Small business face alsorts of obstacles who (in some cases - backed up by the law) can leach a business of a great deal of their profits without giving that much back.

I would include the insurance industry in this. When I consider just how much I have paid out in public/private liability over the years I despair. That money could have been invested, and guess what, we may have grown, employed a few more people and had a more positive impact on the economy.

We should have some form of basic government insurance - where it is priced simply to cover claims not let companies profiteer on an expensive gamble business are forced to take.

Chances are taking a vehicle from outside a cashpoint there will be CCTV there - wait for the first frosts and watch for the lazy or the financially 'tight' at home that cannot be bothered to scrape or purchase de icer for their vehicles windscreens :) and instead start the engine up & walk away...

...then again petrol forecourts are a dead cert too.

There are some real muppets out there that think it will never happen to them.

Edited by Tron on 14/07/2008 at 22:53

Also be aware that the ex-employee may claim unfair dismissal citing that he had not
been properly trained for this situation.

I believe that there is an implied level of behaviour from an employee even if it is not written directly into their contract.

In the contract there is an example of gross misconduct being the 'misuse or inappropriate use of company property' - I think this covers this incident.

As for being properly trained - I find this argument perplexing - presumably at some point the employee will then be able to claim against his employer for 'gross patronisation' or 'treating a grown man like a 10 year old'.
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - Westpig
As for being properly trained - I find this argument perplexing - presumably at some
point the employee will then be able to claim against his employer for 'gross patronisation' or 'treating a grown man like a 10 year old'.

>>
I don't see it like that. Training can also include the consequences of failing to abide by company rules and ensuring employees do know the glaringly obvious so that they cannot then wriggle off the hook afterwards claiming they didn't know.

Take the smoking ban in the workplace, which includes vehicles. We all know it exists and there are consequences for failing to comply, but do your staff, through training or written memos know what will happen to them if they flout them and cause problems for your company?

Most junior employees I know couldn't give two hoots about their employer's equipment or liabilities, real head in the sand mentality. But a training day highlighting the consequences for contravening a few things might heighten the senses.
highlighting the consequences for contravening
a few things might heighten the senses.

This incident will inform alot of how we now pitch our training and the level of detail we will now put in the contracts.

However, say we had stated clearly in the contract that leaving the keys in the van is wholly unacceptable. Say too we did a whole days training on driving etiquette and spent an hour of this on use of keys when delivering. Say we provided refresher training every 6 months and reminded all about the consequences of vehicles being stolen with the keys in.

If then the same incident were repeated and another van was stolen, tell me how any of my consienciosness would have helped in allowing me to extract any more money from the guilty (suddenly poverty stricken) driver?

There is the 'blind spot'.
If then the same incident were repeated and another van was stolen tell me how
any of my consienciosness would have helped in allowing me to extract any more money from the guilty (suddenly poverty stricken) driver?
There is the 'blind spot'.

very true, but presumably you don't want this chap back... if he goes down the Employment Tribunal route there are numerous eyebrow raising results from them that seemingly defy belief

plus...you might have employees that are 'waverers' i.e. mostly good staff, but prone to the odd bit of unthinking behaviour. Labouring the point with them, might well have prevention advantages.

I think, ultimately, you're going to have to wear it unless you sue the ex-employee. Because that's where the liability lies.

beleive me, that galls having had to wear over 5 grand's worth of damage to my car in the past (and being over £1,000 out of pocket) not having the testicles to sue the other driver who refused liability and the insurance company's faffed, still bugs me now over 4 years later
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - deepwith
>> been properly trained for this situation.
This is a scary possibility. A man in Romsey was working as a school caretaker who had to use a step-ladder. His supervisor asked him if he had had ladder training - he replied that he had. He subsequently claimed against the school when he fell off the ladder 'for not having training". He claimed he had not been on the top rung despite the emergency services personnel first on the scene reporting, in court, that he had said he was on the top rung.
He won and was awarded damages.
Blind spot illustrated perfectly.

At some point all these claims filter down and premiums rise and rise.

I have heard alot of opinion which shows 'court justice' in a negative way where accountablity somehow gets lost, and the company/school/organisation is seen as the easy target to make the finacial settlement.

It may be that people only highlight the negatives cases however, speaking with an ex-magistrate his advice to me was to avoid the court route at all costs! And that's an opinion I find difficult to ignore.

I would try the insurance company again telling them the driver went against
company policy/procedure and therefore it was not foreseeable (this would have better effect if you
have a training manual etc).

I will put this very point in my appeal to the insurance co.
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - Avant
Just to cover the company law point raised above:

The van was 07-reg so this obviously happened after you'd turned your business into a company. It doesn't make any difference how long the co. has been in existence, unless any contracts relevant here were made before you incorporated the co.

But the company (as a separate legal entity) is liable for debts in the same way that an individual is; the difference is that if the company goes bust the shareholder(s) is/are liable personally only to the amount paid up on their shares. If, as I imagine, you are the only shareholder (or maybe you and a partner) you would lose the amount you put in but no more than that unless you gave a creditor a personal guarantee.

Anyway I mean this only as a theoretical example and let's hope it doesn't come to that.
Just to back up Avant's point - what he effectively says is that unless you want the company to go "bust" over this £12,000*, then the existence of a limited company makes no difference.

* And being Director of a bust company goes on your credit record too
Just to back up Avant's point - what he effectively says is that unless you
want the company to go "bust" over this £12 000* then the existence of a
limited company makes no difference.

Yes - Ltd only of use if we go bust.

Presumably if the amount to be paid put our business in the mire, then I would be granted the same 'understanding' in court as they may show to the employee, and my payment of the debt would be based on a realistic figure of what we can afford.

It would be unfair if it were otherwise...wouldn't it?

But the company (as a separate legal entity) is liable for debts in the same
way that an individual is; the difference is that if the company goes bust the
shareholder(s) is/are liable personally only to the amount paid up on their shares.

As I suspected, but thanks for the confirmation.

I am also aware that to go 'bust' with debtors has many other implications I do not wish to experience
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - james86
I also own a business. In the same situation I would be be trying to pursue a claim through the 3rd party liability insurance.

Have you looked at this yet?

So do I James. Our point seems to be being completely ignored by all though.
Its not being ignored...point taken and being pursued - Thanks G
I also own a business. In the same situation I would be be trying to
pursue a claim through the 3rd party liability insurance.

I will put this to my broker today and report back - thanks
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - jbif
Think about having your own loss adjuster. Discuss your chances of success with professionals dealing in insurance disputes and then you will know whether you want to pay their fees to take on your case.

It seems to me that at the end of all this the best solution may turn out to be where you, your employee, the hire company and your insurance company all share the costs.

However, I fear you will probably end up in the worst situation with lawyers and advisors making a bit of money and you paying for everything in the end. I say that because even if you sue your employee, unless he is very well off, he will leave and not pay you. He could declare himself bankrupt and you will get nothing from him.

I also own a business. In the same situation I would be be trying to
pursue a claim through the 3rd party liability insurance.

Just spoken with my broker who assures me that this scenario is not the same as being hit by an unirsured driver.

He also made it clear that there was no route through the 3rd party liability part of our insurance.
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - Simon
I wonder what the position of the insurance company would be if a vehicle was to get stolen whilst the keys were in the ignition, when it was a necessary part of the vehicles operation - for example a delivery lorry with a hiab type crance mounted upon it. Ie you have to leave the engine running in order for the hydraulics to operate the crane, but it is physically impossible not to leave the cab unattended whilst doing this.
Look, you have incurred a loss for which you are not insured. Your insurance policy makes it quite clear that you are not insured for this loss. You would almost certainly not be insured if your employee had stolen the van either.

I don't see how this has reached 60 posts already...

You can buy insurance to cover you for negligence on the part of your employees; may I suggest it for the future.
I don't see how this has reached 60 posts already...

Didn't realise there was a limit to the discussion

Perhaps you can go elsewhere
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - FP
I'm sure MM was just giving a blunt, off-the-cuff reaction.

There's a large number of posts because people enjoying picking over the bones of a subject like this - it's a just a little different from the usual post and probably most people (unless they have a legal background) don't see the issues in black and white.

I must admit to having followed the thread quite closely.
Didn't realise there was a limit to the discussion. Perhaps you can go elsewhere

When you post in an open forum, be prepared for all kinds of welcome and unwelcome replies. ;-)
I'm sure MM was just giving a blunt,

... reaction, true to form. ;-)
There's a large number of posts

Your reply makes it 63 posts. :-)
because people enjoying picking over the bones of a subject like this

If I am ever in the dock and facing a jury, I dread to think that the jurors would have thinking processes such as those of most members of most forums! ;-)

Delivery van stolen - keys left in - oilrag
A view from another side.

If i was an `ex employee` coming under the possible threat of legal action, for a moments inattention, I would be looking at any way possible to strike back by the same means, an employment tribunal for example.
If that threat to me subsequently receded, I may just go for it anyway on a point of principle having been `forced` to get legal advice anyway.

I would not let my family suffer the effects of unemployment without taking down a small business by any legal means possible if I considered my situation to be unjust.

Leaving your keys in a vehicle while you walk off is not a moments inattention. I'm very surprised that anyone is defending this idiot!!!
well, what would you do if you were him? just lie down and take it ;)

My point is, people can do anything if trapped in a corner with no way out.
In that situation, yes, I would own up to my stupidity and take the hit. But I also freely admit it's easy for me to say that, I'm pretty sure I earn a lot more than he does, and I've never had my morals tested on such a large amount of my own cash; I've made it into 4 figures, but only once.

I happen to agree that there is no point pursuing a van driver for a £12k debt caused by his stupidity. The situation is a disaster all round, it's a lose lose situation, but certainly I would be wanting him to make a contribution.

It's a risk of having employees I guess.

Edited by Gordon M on 15/07/2008 at 15:14

I fail to understand one issue. If it was my car I left the keys in car (and it gets stolen) then insurer can refuse paying me as I was negligent.
OP insured the car against misfortune. The driver (whom OP had no direct control) made the mistake, which was not OP's fault. So, why his insurer will refuse?

It means tomorrow, if one of his drivers pushes another van over a cliff, then insurer will again refuse the claim citing same negligent clause?

Does that signify that all businesses which operates in this model, can suffer same damage if any of their vehicles is written of because of driver's negligence??
I fail to understand one issue.

Indeed you do
OP insured the car against misfortune.

Indeed he did not. OP insured the vehicle against a whole list of possible eventualities as listed on his insurance policy schedule. One such excluded risk was the risk of his employee being daft. He could have insured against employing daft employees; he didn't. And there, m'lord, I rest my case.

In terms of answering OP's query, this is the summary. Clearly there is plenty of righteous indignation for a further 75 or so posts... His only recourse as I posted a link in the first response on this thread is that the Insurance Company is wrong, on the particular facts of this case, to refuse to pay out.
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - Lud
He isn't necessarily an idiot. It could easily have been a calculated risk that went wrong. But that doesn't mean that he hasn't screwed up and cost his boss money. And it isn't reasonable under the circumstances either to resent being fired or to become vengeful when attempts are made to recover the money.

Events of this sort tend to reveal people in their true colours. The money isn't really the only important element here, but it's up to those directly concerned to reach an accommodation (or not) on the whole situation, which is difficult to put it mildly. One has to sympathise with both parties really.
Lud, well put.
What if the driver is on his uppers though, struggling to keep his mortgage paid and a roof over his families head?

Maybe he should be more careful with other people's property then!!

Seriously, what on earth happened to the concept of personal responsibility?????

EDIT: I'm not completely without sympathy, the above mentioned factors are why I wouldn't be in favour of chasing him into bankruptcy to get the money, but still!

Edited by Gordon M on 15/07/2008 at 15:30

The point is, he is still personally responsible for the situation oilrag. Getting vindictive by resorting to industrial tribunals (unless of course contractual rights have been violated) won't help much probably and will make life harder for all concerned. Better to concentrate on finding another job, or staying on and helping the firm recoup. Of course, which one would depend on nicky cruz's attitude.

Anyone can make a mistake, and most reasonable employers know that.
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - Jonathan {p}
A very similar story in the (awful) paper

tinyurl.com/5rzbe7
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - hillman1 {p}
I saw that one- I am amazed that they come to a value of £19k on an H reg Golf!!
It was in better comics than that Jonathan!

Of course one has to feel sorry for Jason thing too, but in his case one can't help feeling that what he did really was idiotic: a young car freak like him leaving the keys in such a toerag-attracting motor, his own pride and joy. He will have to put it down to experience. A bit mean of plod, but that's the system...

I would not let my family suffer the effects of unemployment without taking down a
small business by any legal means possible if I considered my situation to be unjust.

A bit more background...

The employee (now ex) was, whilst working for me, doing plenty of cash in hand work -approx 15-20 hrs /week work for at least 7 months prior to the theft for a neighbour of mine. It got to the point to that I considered it potentially at odds with the work that he was doing for me but I was not prepared to shop them - so I let it ride.

When he became my ex-employee he started work, full time with the neighbouring firm and didn't lose a days pay.

I would be surprised if he considered his situation unjust!

"The point is, he is still personally responsible for the situation oilrag"

That would need proving in court Lud surely?
I thought he had admitted leaving the keys in the van for a couple of minutes. Why would it have to be proved in court?
True Lud, he gave a police statement, a statement to me and to the insurance investigator whereby he admitted leaving the keys in the unattended vehicle. This is not in dispute.
if he's now gainfully employed again, then a hint at court action (and the subsequent potential of an Attachement to Earnings Order) etc, might well have him agree to pay you a weekly/monthly amount out of his new salary...no harm asking formally in a letter after some decent research
Lud, the thief is responsible for the situation not the driver.

I really do dislike (speaking generally now) the principle that the `common working man` is expected to pay personally for errors (not wilful destruction) he makes in the servitude of his employers.

I really do dislike (speaking generally now) the principle that the `common working man` is
expected to pay personally for errors (not wilful destruction) he makes in the servitude of
his employers.

Totally agree. If he'd stuffed it into a tree, or dropped an expensive parcel, or made 100 other silly errors then he should be in no way held to account. I even pay parking tickets if any of our staff happen to pick one up on our business.

He didn't make a silly error. He effectively left £12k of his employers cash lying around unattended, and he deserves everything he gets.

Edited by Gordon M on 15/07/2008 at 18:07

Delivery van stolen - keys left in - rtj70
"My problem is bringing the ex-employee to the table and extracting x thousands of pounds that he will predictably do all he can to avoid."

Best of luck this time. He is very much to blame but will you ever see a worthwhile return persuing him for the money. But you need to sort out contracts in case of the future. It must be possible. As a company car driver my employer would hold me responsible for damage (and possible replacement) for say a diesel engine damaged by using petrol. And if we have too many accidents in a year there's a charge too. And my company employs tens of thousands in the UK alone.

"There may be some mileage in an appeal - what does fully comprehensive mean if there are exclusions?"

They can exclude things like this otherwise think of the consequences and the false claims.

There were some comments about neighbours leaving keys in cars. Ours had a car stolen a few Christmases ago and did get a pay out. There was no clause in their insurance but the new one certainly did - they were just in and out loading up whilst the car warmed. They were lucky.
I forgot to add my main point... doh.

You need to figure out where you stand with the insurer and hire company and resolve that ASAP. If you did need to pay £12k then sort it. There is no point also paying £330pm on top of this while it's all argued. Remember they might only owe a smaller amount but with the finance settled they are still without the van that was bringing in money.

This is not dissimilar to what happened many years ago with our company and a colleague. He crashed a hire car (fair enough) and assumed it would all be sorted and was eventually given another. What took a while for people to realise was nobody knew where the crashed/written off one was taken. So as well as owing the amount for the right off but the company were still paying for the hire!

For the original poster.... instead of self-insuring the hire vans might it not make more financial sense to use the insurance of the hire company and only pay the excess where needed? You're facing a single claim of £12k. For our company we always self insure (own fleet and hire cars) for own risk and have only third party insurance because we also have one of the largest fleets of cars/vans in the UK (or at least used to).
Lud the thief is responsible for the situation not the driver.

Of course he is. But no one is going to get any money out of him probably. And the driver was of course guilty of contributory negligence. As I said, this is a difficult situation. I agree with you too that an honest worker who makes a booboo shouldn't be tortured to make good financially. From the op's posts it looks as if the firm in question was in the throes of change in some way - a lot of firms often are - and the insurance arrangements weren't as watertight as they looked. A lesson for all concerned no doubt.

The driver it appears has fallen on his feet. The sad thing about cases of this sort is that they must often destroy what are perfectly good working relationships, often unnecessarily.
would people still feel the same way to the driver if the scenario was thus:

you lend your car to a friend, put him on your insurance and whilst he has the car in his care, he leaves the keys in the ignition when he bought a paper in the morning, car gets stolen.

surely a friend or employee has some duty of care to your property.

If either one of them blew the car up, then the friend may or may not offer to contribute to the repair (i think they should), whereas the employee wouldn't....but leaving the thing for an easy steal is fairly negligent and shows sod all respect for the owner
shows sod all respect for the owner

Sums up the attitude of majority of employees where "company property" is concerned.

To quote the original post,

"10 yards from the van. As his back was turned, someone stole the vehicle"

Who, hand on heart can say they never left their keys in the ignition, 10 yards from the vehicle, inadvertently or otherwise?

This could be a long list, Oilrag, but I believe I can. (And invariably make my frustration known if anybody else gets out of the driver's seat of my car leaving the keys in - even when changing drivers.)
tinyurl.com/3xwyrk

;)

Actually, while taking a lad back to a unit following a court appearance a Social Work colleague got out of the car to say something to a staff member right outside their front door.
The lad slipped into the drivers seat and was away.
Last seen leaping into the air (the car that is) over the quite severe road humps in their private road, engine screaming in first.
Think he had 5 years to go on the LA car loan too as it was a new car.

(i`ve given up on this now by the way, i`m going back to thinking about 10w30 oil and sludge.

;)

Edited by oilrag on 15/07/2008 at 20:13

Delivery van stolen - keys left in - Alby Back
Might be a function of where you live and what you are used to. Urban dwellers have long been aware of the dangers of not securing their cars. As recently as ten years ago I lived in a rural community where cars were often left overnight with keys in the ignition and houses left unlocked while the occupants were out or slept.
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - ifithelps
Let's keep this in proportion - the guy has lost a van, not murdered someone.

He deserves the sack, but that's it.

No doubt all the people on here who are having a go at him would be quite happy to indemnify all their ex-employers for any losses occurred while they were working there.

Leaving the keys in a van is not a criminal act or criminally negligent, it's just plain stupid.

Like it or not, the employee has his own 'limited liability' in the same way the company director has.

He has taken responsibility for his own actions, or it's been taken for him - he's lost his job.

Now, if he had nicked £12K from the firm, I would pursue the thieving swine to the ends of the earth.
Add me to that list as well. Even when loading the car I lock it every time I head indoors. Every time. It's a right pain.
One thing that may be worth looking into is ADR (Alternative Dispute Resolution). HMCS seems to be really pushing this these days for non-family civil disputes. www.dca.gov.uk/civil/adr/index.htm#4
Thanks H

Very interesting and worth knowing about should the situation develop to that point.

It has to be in everybody's interest to keep the solicitors at bay, get round a table and act reasonably (unless the driver refuses to negotiate and choses to take no responsibility).

This is my first backroom experience and I am v.grateful to all who have given this time and viewpoints.

I have just sent off the appeal to the insurance company and I will post an update as and when the information is suitably relevant.

I will also enquire into the extra level of cover needed to protect my business from future mishaps, because I am sure that other scenario's involving driver behaviour could invalidate my current insurance.

Delivery van stolen - keys left in - 1066
It has to be in everybody's interest to keep the solicitors at bay, get round a table and act reasonably (unless the driver refuses to negotiate and choses to take no responsibility).

do you really think that a normal working man who drives a van for a living is going to have 12k to just give you back.

looking at it from his point of view there is no point in him sitting down and finding a resolution as there is no way at all he could get hold of 12k without putting his quality of life at serious risk.
i really do empathise with you but if i was the ex employee i would have nothing to gain by speaking to you at all.

the ball's in your court so the only way you are going to get the money back is by taking him to court but id be very surprised if when you win you get more than £30 a month u
>>get round
a table and act reasonably

I believe in this case 'reasonable' means - the £12k being split between myself, the driver, the hire company, and hopefully the insurance company.

If the thief had got caught and subsequently tried at court, he might had to pay damage of worth £12k. Since the thief is no where to be found, we are now talking of squeezing £12k from the driver!

True, the drive made a stupid mistake but to err is human and he should not be made the sole scapegoat. Absorbing the cost of van is easiest for insurance company.

The OP didn't do his duty [van was not insured properly for employee's negligence]
The police didn't do their duty [could not catch the thief]
The hire company didn't do their task [why can't they claim the loss from their own insurance?]
The driver didn't do his part either [left the key on on van]

Ideally, everyone should contribute to recover the cost. The thief can then claim the money as benefits.
If the thief had got caught and subsequently tried at court, he might had to pay damage of worth £12k.

Eh? Can you find any examples of where a criminal has been ordered to pay such damages? Forget as large a sum as £12k - Find me an example of even as little as £100 loss being paid back in damages £ for £?

I've read this thread with great interest and I have come to my conclusion on the situation.

It strikes me that the driver is being used as the easy target in order to try to recoup some of the losses of this incident. Instead of chasing the real culprit - the thief for the losses he has caused the company, it is a lot simpler to try to pin the blame on the next man in the chain - the driver.

Yes the driver was a little negligent in leaving the keys in the ignition whilst his back was turned but that doesn't make him liable for the total of the £12k loss that occurred in my opinion.

I can understand the insurance companies position regarding the fact that the van was stolen whilst the keys were in it, but is it reasonable to expect the driver to have known that there was this clause in the contract, indeed did the OP even know about this clause and if the OP did, why did he not insure against this clause or make his staff aware of this and put procedures in place to deal with this kind of incident?

The initial loss snowballed from the drivers actions, but he can't be held responsible for any of the events/circumstances there after, as far as I can see. And as he was only an employee I can't see how he can be held responsible for the total cost of the loss, as he is merely an agent acting on behalf on his employer. If the poor guy was self-employed then it would be his problem, but he wasn't, he was merely just a worker.

Sometimes in business I think you just have to absorb the loss whether you feel agrieved about it or not, chasing the employee is just trying to pass the buck and make someone else take responsibility. I do think that if you insist on persuing the driver for the loss you will be on a hiding to nothing.
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - pendulum
If the driver had recklessly misjudged a corner, taken it at twice the acceptable speed, and wrapped the front of the van around a tree, we would not be having this discussion because the insurers would pay, even though the driver was negligent.

Leaving the keys in the van for a minute whilst you deliver a few yards away is, in my opinion, far less negligent than silly driving which results in an accident which can so easily mean injury or death.

It is not the drivers act which is upsetting you so much, ultimately it is the lack of insurance payout. Insurers like to wriggle out of paying. Is the business' lack of appropriate insurance really the drivers fault?
i think leaving the keys in a vehicle and walking away from it IS seriously negligent

some mornings i'm up at the local newsagents getting my paper at 0500. The amount of people who leave their car engines running defies belief.

Mine is locked and the keys in my pocket EVERY SINGLE TIME.

it would seem that some people are totally head in sand at the potential consequences of their own actions. Ignorance is no defence.
I perceive criminals as the problem, not the motorist and if the Criminal Justice system were more punitive it would be less of an issue.

I have a Lawyer friend who occasionally visits from a certain country in the Far East, where there are many problems, but taking other peoples cars is not one of them.

Visiting here, he was amazed at the car crime and the actions we had to take to protect them.

Out there, I am amazed, open topped 4 wheel drives stand on the roadside at night, older ones with no immobilizer and with steering column wiring in view. Cars are not stolen if you leave the keys in the ignition. I have personally walked past an old open topped Jeep, early morning, keys in the ignition in the street all night..

The reason is that `Car-napping`(first offence) carries an extreme, long term, custodial sentence, in a jail system that would make your eyes water.

It seems obvious to me that we are at the extreme opposite end of the tariff, with the criminal little affected by his actions and the criticism focussing instead on the motorist, keys left in ignition, the easy `target`.

Edited by oilrag on 17/07/2008 at 10:07

Two wrongs don't make a right, though... I agree that the major problem is the criminal and the (lack of) deterent, but the fact remains that it is well known that there is a problem with car theft so anyone who leaves a car open, or even worse, with the keys in the ignition, is showing gross neglegence and I don't see why my insurance premiums should be increased because of claims from them for their stupidity and a theft that is totally avoidable...
In Britain, one is highly unlikely to be jailed for stealing a car nowadays.

Even if he gets a jail sentence, he would get, free internet + free gym + free library + free food + free housing + free TV + no income tax + no council tax + free training (so that he can find work after coming out of jail) + some allowance etc.

If burglar breaks in your house and you try to encounter him, police will bring charge against YOU before showing any interest to catch the burglar first!!

:0)

...I don't see why my insurance premiums should be increased because of claims
from them for their stupidity and a theft that is totally avoidable...

Is that not in a similar vein to the people who have the 'stupidity' to drive through deep floodwater, wreck their engine and then claim the cost on their insurance?
Not entirely, no. One is totally avoidable, the other there could be mitigating circumstances...
How can you have mitigating circumstances from choosing to drive through deep floodwater with the distinct risk of seizing the engine up?
...>> How can you have mitigating circumstances from choosing to drive through deep floodwater with the
distinct risk of seizing the engine up?

One scenario for you - you come to a ford/flood which you test and find is ok for you to go through - as you go forwards someone coming the other way drives in quickly causing a bow wave and flooding your engine...

That was seems to be the standard approach these days, though I was taught to drive through slowly, perhaps they think the momentom will carry them across when the engine cuts out

Edited by b308 on 17/07/2008 at 11:34

Delivery van stolen - keys left in - Rumble
Must respond to this comment even if off topic.

?????..If burglar breaks in your house and you try to encounter him, police will bring charge against YOU before showing any interest to catch the burglar first!!

Like most things in life it?s all about degrees - I cannot agree where reasonable force moves to sadism. Hit them with a baseball bat by all means but once subdued no excuse for the continued beating of a disabled person.

?Reasonable force? has always been at the centre of this issue so difficult to understand why more law needed on the subject. However, if helps the victim all for it.

?The new law makes it clear that householders should not be prosecuted so long as they used "reasonable force" to protect themselves or others and acted in response to the scale of the threat.?

www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2008/jul/15/justice.ja...w

If burglar breaks in your house and you try to encounter him police will bring charge against YOU before showing any interest to catch the burglar first!!

total tosh.... what you're mistaking is if you bash hell out of the burglar and the force is unreasonable, then you're liable for assault. Furthermore there are limits to when you can use force.

e.g. if you're in fear for your or your family's life or it is reasonable to protect your property, then you can use force and ultimately in some circs that force can be lethal force

if you get angry and bash hell out of the burglar as he's trying to run away then you're just being violent...(you are allowed reasonable force to detain him)

that is the law as laid down by our elected parliament and what the police and CPS comply with, as they should do in a democratic country

personally i'd like to see a free for all for any householder against any burglar, but that is not what our current laws state.....please don't blame those that are only complying with what parliament has stated they should

I have a Lawyer friend who occasionally visits from a certain country in the Far
East where there are many problems but taking other peoples cars is not one of
them.

different places different problems. Some parts of the Far East have the most appalling record on child abuse......some parts of the Middle East have the most appalling record on Human Rights

neither of those problems are prolific in this country
But there is a problem in the UK of blaming the victim. Its almost as though the criminal is not worth mentioning in the rush to heap blame on the one who `neglects` to take anti-criminal counter measures.

How often do we hear of sympathy for someone who leaves their key in the ignition and is a victim of theft?

There is an uproar (in society) of condemnation of the `miscreant` AKA, the victim, for not taking precautions.
The car thieves must really be laughing their socks off.

You can imagine how out of touch things are by considering the Governments recent idea of `punishment` for knife criminals. Visiting the victim in Hospital no doubt intended to transfix them by conscience and remorse.

We know though,that certain personality types do not feel remorse to others and that only fear of punishment (to self) holds psychopathic behaviour in check.

Edited by oilrag on 17/07/2008 at 14:37

Delivery van stolen - keys left in - Niallster
We are starting to wax philosophical but Pendulum makes a key point above.

If I am distracted by a bit of totty in a short skirt and wrap my car around a lamppost there is no debate the insurance will pay. Leaving keys in they will not.

So we are clearly judging one sort of negligence to be acceptable and another not.

But I agree on the overarching point that it is the THIEF who is responsibility not the driver do matter how dopey his action might have been.
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - bathtub tom
Slightly off topic, but while the OP is looking into covering his back against future negligence by his employees. Is he aware of corporate manslaughter liability?

I've just heard of a company that's having to have the driving ability of all it's staff that drive company vehicles assessed. They've been warned that if they don't, and one of their drivers kills another road user through negligence, while on company business, then the company could be liable.

Is this kosher, or just another scare-mongering story?
Naturally one does feel sorry for someone who leaves keys in and loses the car, oilrag. But a lot of the sympathy is for what an idiot they must feel. We've all been there of course (please chaps, no chorus of 'I can swear hand on heart that I have never done a single careless, idiotic, dangerous, stupid or illegal thing in my entire life.' It just isn't true).

Some time ago car manufacturers equipped cars with different keys for some purpose or other. Can anyone help me remember what it was? I've forgotten.
Saloon cars with a boot might have had keys that wouldn't open the boot, but would drive the car. Our Montego did.
"Some time ago car manufacturers equipped cars with different keys for some purpose or other. Can anyone help me remember what it was? I've forgotten"

It is common in USA to have have valet keys. They will open the car and start it but not open the boot or glovebox. There are still many valet parking arrangements in cities like San Fransisco - but I've not visited my brother since 1999 so things might have changed a bit. Not his car though since he still has the diesel VW Beetle.
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - henry k
>>It is common in USA to have have valet keys.
They will open the car and start it but not open the boot or glovebox.

That is what I experienced. The buttons for the boot and filler cap release were in the glove compartment. Not the most convenient location .;-(
It is common in USA to have have valet keys.

My car here in the UK has 3 keys, two full remotes plus a valet key.

Delivery van stolen - keys left in - Pezzer
My Triumph Herald, had one for the door, one for the ignition an possibly even one for the glove box.
In conversation with someone today, he told me that manufacturers are now designing a system whereby, to defrost the windows, the car engine can be left running whilst the doors are locked and the owner can be back in his house sipping his morning tea!

First I've heard, anyone else come across this (he mentioned Fords)?
My VW 411's original equipment included, in addition to the exhaust heater box which didn't work too well in town, a petrol-burner heater which fortunately didn't work (never knew one that did).

On top models you could set a timer to ignite this device ten minutes before you came out of your house in Hamburg in the dead of winter, and warm it up for you.

Oh, and it had computerised semi-mechanical fuel injection. Some cars already had computers, but not many also had petrol stoves.
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - wemyss
Son in Law recently bought an ex AA VW diesel transporter.
Only yesterday he was showing me a red button near the ignition key. An AA man had told him that it enabled them to press the button and remove the keys. This left the engine running while they dealt with whatever but couldnt be driven away.
Apparently the engine will cut out if an attempt is made.
wemyss
I had a problem the other week whereby I called the AA. When he took it for a spin he asked me to look after his van - it was still running with the keys! Okay he had my car but I bet the transit with tools etc. worth more!
I had a problem the other week whereby I called the AA. When he took
it for a spin he asked me to look after his van - it was
still running with the keys! Okay he had my car but I bet the transit
with tools etc. worth more!

But his van wouldn't hae gone anywhere. The drivers have an immobiliser in their pocket. Unless they are sitting in the van, it goes nowhere.
You can buy these devices for ~£100. They are used on emergency vehicles, recovery vehicles and roadworks vehicles, also, some boy races fit them as Turbo Savers. I think they are called ignition-hold or run-lock. You can wire it to things like interior light, brake lights, handbrake light in such a way that using any of these will cut the ignition.

found a link...

www.emergencyequipmentshop.co.uk/lock-relay-unit-p...l

Edited by Hamsafar on 18/07/2008 at 11:39

>>You can buy these devices for ~£100. They are used on...

I assume that these devices can cope with the likes of modern keys that have transponders in them to disarm the immobiliser etc.

It sounds to me like quite a low-tech piece of electrical equipment that could easily conflict with with todays modern high-tech vehicle electronics.
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - Fullchat
We fit this kit as standard to our Traffic cars. Push a button, engine can be left running, keys withdrawn and doors locked. Release the handbrake without the keys in the ignition turned on and the engine dies.
This is so the car can be vacated and warning lights left on for extended periods without the battery giving up the ghost.
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - R40
BMW's, Rover 75 etc. A not unusual feature nowadays.

hth
doh! this in answer to nicky cruz above

Edited by R40 on 18/07/2008 at 06:13

"It sounds to me like quite a low-tech piece of electrical equipment that could easily conflict with with todays modern high-tech vehicle electronics. "

CANBUS - what joys....
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - Robert J.
Wasn't there a post recently about someone who got done for leaving his engine running to defrost the windscreen while he was indoors keeping warm?
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - normd2
leaving a car unattended with the engine running attracts a fine up here in Scotland.
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - henry k
Six 'de-iced' cars taken in a day

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/7816537.stm
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - BobbyG
I know this may put me on dodgy ground but if ever I was in a similar situation I think I would be telling the police that the crook pulled me out the car or something similar. Probably no chance of catching him anyway but might be the difference between getting insurance payout and not!
I know this may put me on dodgy ground but if ever I was in
a similar situation I think I would be telling the police that the crook pulled
me out the car or something similar. Probably no chance of catching him anyway but
might be the difference between getting insurance payout and not!

that wouldn't necessarily be an overly wise move. What you'd be reporting would be probably a 'robbery' (i.e. a crime of violence to the person to facilitate a theft), which is a priority crime and one which would be investigated most thoroughly. There is CCTV everywhere nowadays.. and i don't just mean municipal type ones, but local shops, private houses, etc.. and there would be door to door enquiries...they'd all be looked at. You could easily .. and i do mean easily... end up being investigated for Attempting to Pervert the Course of Justice, which with a conviction means some serious time inside. Not worth it for any insurance pay out in my book.
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - Mr X
I bet she gets her car back.

' PRINCESS Beatrice?s prized BMW was stolen yesterday after she nipped into a shop leaving the keys in the unlocked car?s ignition.
Bea?s police protection officer went into the store with her.

But when the pair emerged the £15,000 Beamer had vanished, with passers-by saying it had been driven off at high speed.

Bea, 20, was said to be upset and ?extremely embarrassed? over the theft, which took place in broad daylight. ''
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - ijws15
Bet she wasn't as embarassed as the police protection officer - he should definitely know better.
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - captain chaos
Remote start. Yanks have had 'em for years. Great fun if you use it just as someone is walking past :-D
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - bananastand
sat nav with home address - a useful tip I saw was, set your home address to your nearest police station. So if your car is stolen the thieves can't get in your house to nick your stuff.

and if there was any hint at all of force or intimidation when the van was nicked then there might be a case for an insurance payout. too late now of course.
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - Pugugly
I've set mine to someone I hate.
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - Alby Back
That's a good idea. Trouble is I'd be constantly visiting them instead of going home.......
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - Pugugly
I was wondering why that kept happening.
Another stolen car (keys left in ign)... - FotheringtonThomas
tinyurl.com/8l94cq
Delivery van stolen - keys left in - Altea Ego
I've set mine to someone I hate.

you utter pig PU, someone has dumped a hideously ugly roomster outside my house and the neigbours are complaining.