What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Sump rusting ~ may only last another year - L'escargot
My 5-year-old Focus has just been serviced and I was surprised to be advised that the sump was rusting and might only last another year before it started leaking. Was I being naive in expecting it to last for the car's lifetime? Is sump corrosion common?

I've knelt down and had a look under the front of the car and the sump looks as I would expect ~ dirty black but no sign of oil leaks. I think it's time I made use of my inspection pit (well, there's always a first time for everything!) and get a closer look at it.

Edited by L'escargot on 20/06/2008 at 17:49

Sump rusting ~ may only last another year - krs one
Not heard of it before.

Is the sump painted, if so maybe it got scratched and that could have caused the rusting.
Sump rusting ~ may only last another year - pendulum
I wouldn't expect a sump to rust through in 5 years. Then again, maybe it isn't and the Ford dealer is inventing work or overexaggerating the problem. I have experience of one dealer doing just that.

Check it properly yourself and, if it is not rusting, pull them up on it.
Sump rusting ~ may only last another year - steveo3002
ive heard of plenty of sumps rusted through...chances are it should last a while yet, theyre prob trying for extra work

have a look...a wire brush and paint or brush on some engine oil should get you a a few more years
Sump rusting ~ may only last another year - Waino
I don't think that sump rusting is all that rare. It happened on our old 1.1 '95 Fiesta in 2002 at 75,000 miles. I believe, at the time, we discussed the problem in the Backroom and others were well aware of the issue.

IIRC, the discussion centred on the fact that engines tend to leak less oil these days and so thin iron sumps will rust from the outside. Ours never actually dumped a load of oil - it just became more porous and was a disaster waiting to happen!

I think I'd keep an eye on it, L'es.
Sump rusting ~ may only last another year - Alby Back
Is it possible that it has at some time been clouted on a speed hump or similar? ( not of course during your tenure ) I would probably just rub it down, and paint it.
Just re-read my post and, to clarify, we did replace the sump at 75k miles.

It could be that the garage that serviced the Focus observed the 'dirty black' - and inferred, possibly quite correctly - that the sump was becoming porous.

If this is the case, then I can't see that 'painting' will do any good at all; in fact, the weeping oil will probably slow down the rate of corrosion (?). Hence, I sadly suspect that the advice from the garage is correct. So, again, just keep an eye on things and watch out for an oil spot on the drive.

Bit of a devil, though, that the sump has gone after only 5 years! I wonder if you could get one from a scrappie?
Then again maybe it
isn't and the Ford dealer is inventing work or overexaggerating the problem. I have experience
of one dealer doing just that.

Not in this case. There was no suggestion that I did anything about it (other than keeping an eye on it) until it actually leaked.
Sump rusting ~ may only last another year - Clk Sec
I?ve had a lot of rust on a lot of cars, including a Maxi I owned for over 13 years. Never had a rusting sump, though.

My condolences, L?escargot.

Clk Sec
Sump rusting ~ may only last another year - Screwloose

Very common problem - a lot of makes do it; easy and cheap to replace.

It's a manufacturing fault; they aren't using the proper seals and gaskets. If they used the type that British Leyland used to favour, then this problem would be unheard of.

Without that carefully-controlled auto-protection system; then salt and road-chips on a oil-dry surface will inevitably cause a lightweight, pressed-steel, sump to corrode.

Now; when you've seen one corrode from the inside out....
Sump rusting ~ may only last another year - oilrag
L,escargot, I would get a tub of Castrol HMP grease and slather it with that.
That`s what I have always done and currently with the van from new.
Sump rusting ~ may only last another year - henry k
>>It's a manufacturing fault; they aren't using the proper seals and gaskets.
If they used the type that British Leyland used to favour, then this problem would be unheard of.

>>
>>Without that carefully-controlled auto-protection system.....
>>
>>
I assumed "proper seals and gaskets" and "auto-protection system" implied a permanent leak thus protecting the sump. ;-)
Sump rusting ~ may only last another year - Screwloose
implied a permanent leak

Being very thorough; they didn't rely on just the one..... The oil was "evenly distributed" from just about everywhere - to just about everywhere.
Sump rusting ~ may only last another year - ifithelps
Am I alone in finding the response of this Ford garage a bit limp?

Why not do something? We've rubbed it down and painted it, sir, or at the very least, we've smeared a bit of grease on it.

No, couldn't possibly do that, no part number, no factory job time.

Just wait for it to fail and order a replacement.
Sump rusting ~ may only last another year - bazza
Happened on a 2 year old Astra I had just bought a few years ago. Rusted right through and started leaking. Vauxhall didn't want to know, said it was stone and salt chip damage -they were probably right. Disappointing though. But then mild steel, high temp, salt and wet - the perfect rusting environment!
Just wait for it to fail and order a replacement.

They said that failure was never sudden and catastrophic. The first signs would be spots of oil on the ground. I was pleased to have been given advance warning. Forewarned is forearmed. I don't see it as any big deal. I was just curious as to whether sump rusting was common nowadays, and it appears from some of the replies that it is.

Edited by L'escargot on 20/06/2008 at 19:59

Sump rusting ~ may only last another year - DP
The sump on my sister's 1998 Ka has rusted to the point where it's gone porous in a couple of places and is going to need replacing imminently. Mind you, this is the same engine whose cylinder head is also flaking off in big lumps.

Cheers
DP
Sump rusting ~ may only last another year - Big John
My wife's 1999 Punto also had a badly rusting sump (about four years ago). I wire-brushed it and painted it with Hammerite. My neighbour now owns the car and the sump has not rusted since.
Sump rusting ~ may only last another year - FotheringtonThomas
Wire brush. Waxoyl if oily, anti-rust paint if not (it doesn't need to be pretty!).
Sump rusting ~ may only last another year - b308
Just a thought, but won't the sump get warm when in use? Perhaps a metal paint resistant to heat rather than waxoil?!

I have to say its the first I've heard of the issue - I had plenty of the BL self-oiling sumps, but also had a collection of Vauxhauls and Skodas without this problem - I remember from my racing days that the sumps on the Ford Pintos were a hefty pice of metal - perhaps its weight reduction (thinner metal) thats causing the problem?

Edited by b308 on 21/06/2008 at 11:26

Just a thought but won't the sump get warm when in use?

Erm, yes. Makes Waxoyl even better (don't paint it on your 'zorst pipes, though!).
I know the car in question is five years old, but I?d be contacting Ford if it was mine.

Nothing ventured?..

Clk Sec
High Melting point Grease is seemingly better than waxoil on a hot sump. It will still be there a year later. Empirically speaking that is.

Edited by oilrag on 21/06/2008 at 12:15

Sump rusting ~ may only last another year - Roly93
Our 53 plate 1.6 Focus has an alloy sump...
Sump rusting ~ may only last another year - Aretas
As I took my car in for servicing a few months ago a guy was paying a lot of money for the new engine in his car. (A Ford I think, but don't know the model). It seems the young owner had ignored the oil leaks from a rusty sump. His dad was paying the bill.
Our 53 plate 1.6 Focus has an alloy sump...

Are you sure it's alloy, or is it zinc plated steel? Perhaps Ford realised there was a problem of rust on painted sumps and changed over to zinc plating. Mine is 03/03.

I'd be interested to know what the material and surface treatment of the sump is on other Backroomers' Foci.

Edited by L'escargot on 26/06/2008 at 11:00

I think it's time I made use of my inspection pit (well there's always a
first time for everything!) and get a closer look at it.

I've now been under the car and the sump is indeed in a sorry state. It's so bad ( serious rust visible where the paint has come off, and several places where the paint is bubbling up because of the rust underneath) that I daren't touch it for fear of making it leak. I'll keep an eye on it and have it replaced the minute there are any drips on the garage floor. In 40-odd years of motoring this is a new one on me.
>>> I?d be contacting Ford if it was mine.

I?m sure Ford will s(t)ump up a goodly contribution if you write to them. After all you are a loyal customer.

Clk Sec

I?m sure Ford will s(t)ump up a goodly contribution if you write to them.

Perhaps so, but probably not until the sump is actually leaking and needs replacing.
Sump rusting ~ may only last another year - Snakey
Ford garage told me my wifes Fiesta's sump needing replacing.I brushed it down and checked it thoroughly and then repainted it - never leaked for another 4 years and then we sold the car.

I'm sure they were hoping I wouldn't look beyond the surface rust/dirt!
L'es, I've been following this thread with great interest as a) we had a Fiesta which needed replacement of a rusty sump and b) SWMBO now has a 52 Focus.

I've just put on my overalls, got under the car and checked - and I'm sure SWMBO's Focus has an alloy sump - the casting ridges and sound when tapped with a hammer make me think cast alloy rather than pressed steel. This Focus is a 1.6 petrol ..... did you say what your engine type was - I couldn't find a reference?

I think your garage gave you the correct advice.

BTW, IMHO, this topic is sensible enough to have gone on the 'Technical' board.
This Focus is
a 1.6 petrol ..... did you say what your engine type was - I couldn't
find a reference?

Mine's a 2 litre Focus Ghia, first registered 2nd July 2003. Ill be visiting the dealer tomorrow and I'll see if I can find out which variants and year of manufacture had alloy sumps and which had painted steel sumps. You're the second person in this thread to say they have a 1.6 with an alloy sump.
Just to expand on using high melting point grease to arrest current rust and as a preventative from new and with already rusting sumps.

My van has a steel sump and when new I wiped it all over with HMP grease. A year later when doing an oil change I cleaned the sump up with kitchen roll and applied more.
The sump actually still looks like new when you clean it up and there is no sign of corrosion. Sumps treated like this stay rust free indefinitely.

I have done this this with steel sumps since 1967 and at that time initially just wiped them with the old oil coming out of the sump at change time.

Most of these sumps, including the current one on the van are exposed below the vehicle and not protected by an undertray.
I did try waxoil once, but at the next oil change the sump was bare and dry with no trace remaining, likely due to the heat.

HMP grease will not melt off, will last for a very long time and if applied to a dry rusty sump seems to halt the corrosion at that point, as the stuff saturates into the corroded surface.

Anything`s better than nothing really, but it has to take the heat. Old engine oil will last a few months if no HMP grease is to hand.

A badly rusted sump can therefore be `frozen in time` at the point the grease is applied , from a further corrosion perspective.

A handful of grease takes less than 15 seconds to rub in, so no excuses for sumps rusting through
;)

Edited by oilrag on 26/06/2008 at 19:01

I've just looked in my Haynes Mk I Focus manual and although it doesn't categorically state the material from which the sump is made, the photos indicate that the 1.4 and 1.6 sumps are alloy and the 1.8 and 2.0 sumps are steel.

My apologies to Roly93 for questioning his statement that his 53 plate 1.6 Focus has an alloy sump.
Did you see the dealer yesterday, L'es? Was he able to shed any more light on the alloy/steel mystery?
Sump rusting ~ may only last another year - Armitage Shanks {p}
This stuff is still in production and was great for a leaking petrol tank. Might do for a sump if the problem is a leak from a point or small area.

www.granville-oilchem.co.uk/pdfs/data/01-01.pdf
Did you see the dealer yesterday L'es? Was he able to shed any more light
on the alloy/steel mystery?

Their reply agreed with my post on Thursday ........... "I've just looked in my Haynes Mk I Focus manual and although it doesn't categorically state the material from which the sump is made, the photos indicate that the 1.4 and 1.6 sumps are alloy and the 1.8 and 2.0 sumps are steel."
P.S. I'd rather have a 2.0 with a decaying steel sump than either a 1.4 or 1.6 with a pristine alloy sump. When you get to my age the ability to indulge in some spirited driving is one of the few day-to-day pleasures left!

Edited by L'escargot on 28/06/2008 at 10:37

Thanks.

I don't know which is best ..... an alloy sump that would crack if you hit e.g. an old exhaust lying in the road, or a rust-susceptible steel one that would more probably only dent if it hit an object on the road?
Sump rusting ~ may only last another year - Hocus Pocus by Focus
I have a 2.0 Focus Ghia (03/03 50,000 miles) and was told by my local Ford dealer that the sump was very badly rusted at the time of the last service in May. They wanted about £250 to replace it at the time but as my bill was already £600 at that stage (service plus new brakes and discs all round!) I declined. Now I am noticing I am leaving oil stains where I park so I suppose they must have been telling me the truth. How long is it likely to last before it dumps everything do you think ?

I've been checking second-hand parts sites on the web and most seem to be out of stock. One is advertising a new sump for £70 so perhaps I'd better get it sooner rather than later.

HPbF
Sump rusting ~ may only last another year - madf
Younegst son has 1.1 peugeot 106 .. bought 2 years ago with rusty sump. No leakage but rust very bad and we expected it to fail sometime. Changed crankshaft oil seal behind clutch and had to jack up - wood under sump job. Three weeks later oil started to seep through and two weeks after that flood through. Unrusty one from scrapyard £10 and a new tube of sealant - no gaskets fitted ) and all ok.

Investigating rusted one, - 2 imperceptible holes in sump when viewed from inside but warm oil gushed out - 0.5 litres a day when in use!

So To Hocus Pocus.. once it starts it is time to replace or one day on motorway, you will end up with no oil and a BIG bill for new engine.

SMBO's 106 - owned from new - is a different animal. Odd bumps of speed humps etc.. added waxoil.. the solvent evaporates leaving the wax behind. No problems over 15 years...

Edited by madf on 08/08/2008 at 13:39

I (...) was told by my local Ford dealer that the sump was very badly rusted (...) How
long is it likely to last before it dumps everything do you think ?

First check where the oil is actually coming from. It might be something else dripping.

If a sudden big leak happens, it could render your engine u/s, if you don't notice PDQ. Don't forget that the crank case is under slight positive pressure.
How long is
it likely to last before it dumps everything do you think ?

I was told that there wouldn't be a sudden catastrophic failure.
Sump rusting ~ may only last another year - cheddar
My dad had this earlier this year, '02 2.0 Ghia estate, it was slightly seeping oil due to corrosion, he replaced it himself, about £80 for the part, some sealer and a couple of hours work.
Sump rusting ~ may only last another year - Dog
I ws reading the "summer servicing" thread ~ tinyurl.com/5al92n
And noticed that Dave N uses Dinitrol ~ www.rust.co.uk/dinitrol-products.cfm
Surely this is "The Right Stuff" for those sumps ?

And noticed that Dave N uses Dinitrol ~ www.rust.co.uk/dinitrol-products.cfm
Surely this is "The Right Stuff" for those sumps ?

Which Dinitrol product would you think is appropriate for steel sumps?

Edited by L'escargot on 11/08/2008 at 08:46

Sump rusting ~ may only last another year - Dog
I honestly don't know L'e ... The Dinitrol name is well known (by me) for Donkeys years
... maybe a "belt n' braces" job of their rust converter, followed by say their heat resistant wax or maybe their paintable stonechip ... I have no connection with Dinitrol btw, (but any offers will be gratefully receieved : )
Another coating that I can highly (can't spell thoughroughly) recommend to withstand an air-burst thermo-nuclear explosion, is Sikkens opaque - tough as ole boots.
Sump rusting ~ may only last another year - John F
Just changed oil on wife's 2000 Focus 1.6 Zetec - definitely alloy. However, the flat sump plate next to it on the autobox is steel - but no rust. Indeed, I am amazed that the only rust was a superficial layer under the door seals at the bottom edges - easily restored. Old engine oil painted liberally over the superficially corroded subframe bits - now looks as good as new.
Fords are much better than they used to be - at one time I swore I'd never have another!
Just changed oil on wife's 2000 Focus 1.6 Zetec - definitely alloy.

Yep. Photos in Haynes show 1.4 and 1.6 engines as having alloy sumps; 1.8 and 2.0 have steel.