What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I Have a Question - Volume 235 [Read only] - Pugugly

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 236 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 235. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found:- HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/06/2008 at 11:28

Using a mobile phone abroad. - maltrap
Recently saw a mobile phone on sale in tescos. (MotorolaF30) £14.95. including £10. of air time. I was thinking of buying it to use in Tenerife whilst on hols. I understand the phone is dual band. (pay as you go). Do i just switch it on when i get there, will it work? Sorry if i sound naive in these matters, but i am! Thanks in anticipation of any help. PS do i need a special sim card or will the tesco one work. Tried asking a sales assistant but was unable to help.

Edited by Pugugly on 01/06/2008 at 20:12

Using a mobile phone abroad. - Stuartli
You can use a Tesco PAYG phone abroad (but not, say, the States as the phone you mention is not tri-band). See:

www.tesco.com/mobilenetwork/help/?page=faq

for the most commonly asked questions.

Re phoning from abroad:

www.tesco.com/mobilenetwork/help/?page=howphoninga...d

Edited by Stuartli on 01/06/2008 at 21:08

Thanks stuartli you've been more helpful than the shop assistant.
Using a mobile phone abroad. - adverse camber
but the calls wont be cheap.

If you are likelt to use it a lot then look into international sims
Using a mobile phone abroad. - Armitage Shanks {p}
A new mobile phone should, or may, tune to the local network whenever you get to your destination and turn it on. If it doesn't you may have to to go into a Menu for Network Selection, which can either be Automatic or Manual. If you are on Vodafone it tends to go to the local Voda network by default. Otherwise you will have to choose from a list of networks, all of which will allow you to make calls, but some will be more expensive than others and you will be short of information as to which is the best network for you.

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 01/06/2008 at 22:39

Using a mobile phone abroad. - Pugugly
Tesco Mobile is an 02 product - you may have to ask for international roaming from the Service Provider.
Using a mobile phone abroad. - bathtub tom
Don't they have have public 'phone booths over there?
They do and lots of them, virtually on every corner. It's the convenience of it really, the charges would be similair, also being able to recieve calls.
Using a mobile phone abroad. - daveyjp
"but the calls wont be cheap"

The EU intervened with call charges for roaming last year and it is now much cheaper.

You should be on a Eurotariff:

Max they can charge is 49 cents to call and 24 cents to receive.

tinyurl.com/25yxo6

Gives an (out of date!) table of the cheapest providers in each Country so you can manually select the cheapest network.
Using a mobile phone abroad. - rtj70
"also being able to recieve calls."

When you received a call on a mobile when overseas you pay for the incoming international call. The caller pays for the call to the mobile number, so for most of us it's a UK call. Receiving calls when overseas can get very expensive.
Using a mobile phone abroad. - jbif
Receiving calls when overseas can get very expensive.

Dos that not contradict what "davey" says? "davey" quotes some prices. How about giving some supporting evidence to back your statement rather than "I am right, You are wrong"?

Using a mobile phone abroad. - rtj70
All I was saying was that to receive calls it cost you as the receiver. Not looked into how the EU capped the rates as my phone is on a corporate tariff so quite cheap anyway.
In-ear headphones - Leif
I've just bought a set of Sennheiser CX500 headphones to use while running, and I find they are totally useless. When I run, the sound of my feet hitting the ground is amplified, such that it drowns out the music. And when the cable bumps against by body it makes a sound like thunder. So, totally useless.

Is this a feature of in-ear headphones? In other words, are they useless for non couch potatoes?

I presume the fact that there is a close contact between the earphone pad and the inner ear means that low frequency vibrations from the cable travel direct to the ear.
In-ear headphones - BazzaBear {P}
I don't find this problem at all with my mx500's.

Did you get them off eBay? And are you certain they're not counterfeit? I hear that there is quite a market in fake Sennheiser gear.

I can recommend a set of in-ears that are very good for exercise (although I realise it's not strictly the question you asked):

tinyurl.com/3q9st5

These are the sennheiser mx75's. They stay very securely in the ear, and sound excellent. The only downside is they're only available in lime green for some reason.
In-ear headphones - Leif
I don't find this problem at all with my mx500's.

Thanks for the answer. I presume you meant cx500? I have used ones like the MX500 without problems. They are not in the ear canal, which seems to be the difference.

Mmm. Yes I did get them from ebay, a UK supplied, and I did check them and they 'seem' kosher. I am aware that counterfeits are rife. The packaging is well made, the sound is good, and they look well made. I will try other pads supplied.
In-ear headphones - BazzaBear {P}
Thanks for the answer. I presume you meant cx500?

Actually, no. I misread your post sorry. I have no experience of the cx500. I have a set of cx300 though. Have never noticed similar issues with them, but then I have never exercised with them in.
house and contents insurance - normd2
mine is up for renewal and have had a wide range of quotes all claiming similar cover. Any recommendations? The cheapest quote so far is from Home Quote Direct who I've never heard of before.
house and contents insurance - Bill Payer
Do you qualify to use Frizzell www.frizzell.co.uk ? Or failing that, their "parent" company, Liverpool Victoria www.lv.com .

They may not be the very cheapest, but it's 5 star rated, UK call centre etc etc.
house and contents insurance - bathtub tom
I'm currently removing all my insurance with this company. Perhaps they're not out to make my life as difficult as possible, and I'm just being paranoid, but:

I made a household claim (£90), and their inefficiency made it so difficult. They even instigated their own complaints procedure without prompting from me!

They now quote an 0870 number for dealing with claims.

I tried to renew my Britannia rescue breakdown cover (they're LV). They sent me a different product commencing before my existing cover ended - that's when I found out they're LV. Thanks to this forum I'm going to Auto Aid.
house and contents insurance - Bill Payer
Fair enough. At least they recognised they messed up!

I've never made a household claim with them (this is my first year) but one of the reasons I went with them was because they handled a motor claim against a 3rd party effortlessly, and even waived my excess (which I expected to have to pay and recover).

I did get something from them a while ago to say they were doing away with their 0870 numbers (certainly a pet hate of mine). I found when I made the motor claim that I could just ring the switchboard geographic number at Bournemouth and they'd put me through.
house and contents insurance - Stuartli
I've mentioned this before, so apologies if you've read it previously.

We'd been with the Pru for house and contents insurance for more than 40 years and the service, on the rare occasions it was needed, was first class.

However, the premiums kept going up and up quite sharply on an annual basis. Two or three years ago the Pru took on Churchill as its underwriters and, although I renewed on the first occasion, I decided to check out Churchill on-line after the 12 months was up.

It turned out that Churchill's own house and contents insurance cover was approximately half the price of the Pru....:-)

You can guess which company has had the business ever since although, to be fair, I've not had to call on its services to date.
house and contents insurance - normd2
thanks to all who took the time to reply, I think I've made up my mind now - Oh Yes! :)
Dry Cleaning - 007
We have a rug (not a hairy one) which needs cleaning. The label says 'Professionally Dry Clean Only'. However, the cost would be £53 !!! for a rug measuring just 1200 x 1800mm.

The material is 98% cotton & 2% rayon. Dare we risk cleaning it at a Launderette (it is too big to go into our own washing machine)?

TIA
Dry Cleaning - Stuartli
Unless it's a rug that's really needed, what have you to lose?

One other possibility is a professional carpet cleaner, but his/her cost might also be quite high unless it's combined with other work.
Dry Cleaning - normd2
if you google 98% cotton and 2% rayon you'll see clothes ads with this mix that say 'machine wash' - go for it!
Dry Cleaning - ifithelps
A rug of mine had similar instructions, which I interpreted as: lay flat in the back yard, use hosepipe and soft broom.

Worked a treat.
Dry Cleaning - 007
Thank-you for those suggestions....I will try them out.
Condensing Boiler question please. - Petel
Can anyone please advise if they know of a condensing boiler, that is built to provide water for a central heating system only ( not domestic hot water ) and would hopefully be physically smaller than a standard unit?
Thank you.
Condensing Boiler question please. - Onetap
You want a system boiler, most/all manufacturers do them. Very few are not condensing boilers nowadays. The package is usually the same size as the equivalent combination boiler I believe.
Condensing Boiler question please. - Petel
Thanks AFM, will look into this " system boiler "
Regards
Water heater question please? - Petel
Can anyone recommend ( from personal experience ) an electric water heater, which could be used to suppy hot water on demand, to three taps, one of which is the bath?

My bathroom is above the kitchen. What I seek to achieve is a centrally mounted heater ( high on the kitchen wall ) to provide hot water down to the kitchen sink tap and up to the bath and hand basin in the bathroom, thus keeping the pipe runs as short as possible. Noise produced by the heater whilst operating is also a consideration.

Any information or " do's and dont's " would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

Edited by Petel on 03/06/2008 at 11:04

Water heater question please? - adverse camber
Could I ask why you want to go with two separate systems?

Have you looked at secondary loop systems?
Thanks for your reply. Have not looked at anything yet, trying to put information together before calling in a plumber. Two separate sytems is just one of several options to try to keep the boilers as central as possible for each application.
Regards.
Water heater question please? - jbif
I admit I too would prefer to have the hot & cold water supplies for bath/showers to be on a completely separate loop to the central-heating, sink/basin, toilet cisterns supplies. I did look at the alternative provided by
www.heatweb.com/products/cylinders/heatbank/heatba...m
- which was mentioned by someone on here some time ago but it looks to be too expensive a solution unless/until I am renovating the whole house.

Edited by jbif on 03/06/2008 at 11:46

Water heater question please? - Mapmaker

Blimmin eck! I don't believe it's possible on a domestic power supply. You want to fill a bath with on-demand electric heating. Do you have any idea how much power that will take? Your house electric supply is probably 60amp cable - even if it has a 100amp fuse on the consumer unit.

Assuming all your electric use is directed to the bath, that gives you 14.5 KW as maximum supply (and no good if you want to run the cooker as well - it completely beggars up your diversity calculations). A look at www.e-tankless.com/products.php suggests that a 14.5kW heater will generate 27 degree Celcius rise at the rate of 1.5 gallons per minute. In the winter you're going to have very cold baths that fill very slowly.

It's going to take you half an hour to fill a bath will water that was too cold for a bath when it first went in: www.whirlpooljacuzzitubs.com/jacuzzi-whirlpool-bat...m

jbif's link is to something completely different.

As a sense check, have you ever used an electric shower? They draw up to 40 or 50 amps at the top of the range. Try putting the plug in and seeing how quickly the bath doesn't fill with water that isn't warm by the time it gets there.
Thank you for the input Mapmaker. This is the very type of information I seek to establish the practicalities for the proposal.
Much appreciated.
Water heater question please? - 007
The following boilers are for heating only and details can probably be found on the respective manufacturers web sites.

Worcester-Bosch 24Ri

Baxi Solo 24HE

Glow-Worm Flexicom 24hx

HTH
Much appreciated 007.
Regards.
Redundancy Q ... - arnold2
Well, just been made redundant from my job... anyone any experience here, with regards getting a decent renumeration - issue here is that my company has been doing its best to replace me with new staff (lower paid!), and they know that I know! So although I don't want to go to unfair dismissal route, I think I can get a good package - what would be good, in terms of month(s) of compensation?
Redundancy Q ... - Mapmaker
Statutory redundancy pay is 1 week per year's service - capped at something closeish to £100 per week - so that's stuff all.

You need to find yourself a good solicitor - budget £500 for a straightforward case, 2/3 letters, few phone calls etc. If you email me through the mods I can give you the name of somebody based in Reading who is firstly very experienced and professional, and secondly hard-nosed. I know of a couple of good results he's had; he's well worth travelling to see.

Your payoff is likely to be tax free for the first 30k, but you will want to be certain about that.

As for package... six months might be an opening starting point, again your solicitor can advise as he will handle a large number of similar cases (make sure he does) and so will have a feel for the market rate.
Redundancy Q ... - wotspur
Unlucky for you. I'd been there 4 times by 26,and several times since, longest job upto then was 4 years, shortest 3 months -all with various amounts from 3k-jack, but fortunately, I then had no ties etc.

How old are you, how big is the company, and how long have you been there- and what benefits, Private pension , medical, car etc will all need to be taken into consideration.

1st point of call should be Citizen Advice Bureau - Free

you could go to a solicitor - You ask how much it costs to ask 3 questions??,
they reply £500,
that's quite a lot, isn't it??
yes replied the solicitor, what's your 3rd question
Redundancy Q ... - Falkirk Bairn
Are you in a Union? They can provide advice and if needs be a solicitor for free. They can legally only make you redundant if the position is no longer there - they cannot sack you and then bring in a 20 year old @ 1/3rd wages.

I was made redundant a good few years back and got 1 mth salary for each year inc commission earnings so it was a very sizeable amount. Pension was final salary paid on-time 15 years later.

I was again made redundant after 7 years and the particular company paid out the legal minimum - capped at <£300 / week - something like £2,000 when I was earning about £1000-1500 per week - so in reality it was very poor.

The 2nd Co Pension was money purchase so payment from that was again mince - it took them nigh on 6 months to make the 1st payment (backdated) - what does the company do? Pensions administration for other companies!! amongst other things.
Redundancy Q ... - normd2
arnold2 - been there and got the T-shirt - my every sympathy, start here:

www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Employees/Redundan...6

whilst you're under 'consultation' you are eligible to apply for every and any vacancy within your company and they have to keep paying your current salary until you've been interviewed and (possibly) rejected - the clock counting down to your redundancy date is reset during this process so you can make a big-time nuisance of yourself doing this - this may encourage them to up the offer to make you go quietly. The problem with them trying to replace you with cheaper in-comers comes down to job description; if it's substantially different then it's not 'your' job but if it's similar or substantially the same it 'should' be offered to you first. Go see a 1-hour first free lawyer quickly.
Redundancy Q ... - bathtub tom
>>Falkirk Bairn said:
I was made redundant a good few years back and got 1 mth salary for each year inc commission earnings so it was a very sizeable amount. Pension was final salary paid on-time 15 years later.

One of God's Poor Orphans? ;>)

account overdue- should I be concerned - wotspur
In the last 6 weeks I have received 3 letters, chasing monies for an account at a well known clothing chain, from a well known finance house.

I live at no 1, and the gentleman concerned, well his mother lives at no 9, and he used to also, about 5 years ago.

Each time I have either returned the letter to say, no one of that name lives here,try no 9, and /or rung them up - today after the 3rd letter, I rang both the store and the finance company -but due to the "data protection" -they couldn't discuss anything with me- but as previos they have stated we wouldn't receive any more -but probably will !!

What more could we do and would it affect our credit worthiness. thanks
account overdue- should I be concerned - Stuartli
I would write to both the store and the finance company's headquarters, using at least recorded delivery, and clearly outline the circumstances.

In addition I would insist on being given full assurance in writing that your credit rating has not been compromised in any way.

A Google search for the headquarters of each should/may well reveal details of exactly who to contact when writing.
account overdue- should I be concerned - Falkirk Bairn
Foolproof way

Write to them, recorded delivery, telling them the error of their ways.

Then tell them you will be happy to handle any further letters and telephone calls from them. However, in sending you further mailings/telephone calls on the following conditions

1)you will log these letters and reply to them at £35 / letter
and
2) You will log the calls & charge them @ £25 / call.
plus
3)Debt Collectors will be £50 / call/letter due to stress & harrassment factor

If they then fail to pay, within 30 days, you will institute recovery via the Small Claims court.

The amount you threaten to charge has to "be reasonable" approx £25 for telephone and £35 for a reply letter from you are deemed reasonable.

The problem you have will go away in most cases.
Any Bus Drivers out there? - normd2
Whilst casting around for a new career I've seen ads for local authority bus drivers (and being paid whilst training) - anyone any experience of this? And here's today's silly question: do the drivers have to simply memorise the route or are there aids ie sat-nav or... I've not lived in the city in question for many years and the road system has changed beyond recognition.
Any Bus Drivers out there? - ifithelps
Norm,

I think the training offers are genuine enough, but certainly in this part of the world, you would be working for the private co that runs the bus contract, not directly for the local authority.

Another point, I think you will be trained to drive autos only, which is OK for service buses.

But it will limit your choice if you want to work elsewhere, say on tour coaches or smaller buses, many of which are still manual.

Schoolkids, old ladies, pushchairs, drunken yobbos - any or all of these may add to the frustration of your working day.

The job needs that certain type of person who can rise above, not a quality that is easy to judge, even in oneself - bus driving might suit you, it might not.

Any Bus Drivers out there? - Lud
Won't take long to learn a bus route normd, half a dozen trips at most surely... I'm too old to try it now but I have sometimes wondered what driving a bus would be like. The old open-platform double deckers sometimes went improbably fast even round bends but they weren't usually driven very violently. My wife tells me that single deckers these days are flung rudely about by their drivers though.

I think in London anyway you would have to be some kind of Buddhist mystic to do it for long without going fairly ape.
Lud - I've got the Buddha body shape so half way there :)))))
Any Bus Drivers out there? - Mapmaker
I always fancied applying for a job driving buses. :) I don't know why driving a bus appeals, it just does. I suppose it's the train-driver small-boy mentality, but modern trains are so boring, driving a Routemaster would be heavenly.

That said, I think the drivers have a pretty ghastly time of it - if you judge by the type of staff who do it, it's generally a bottom-of-the-heap type job.
Mapmaker, I reckon £60.50 a week is further down the heap... :)
no offence intended to anyone else in my boat.
Any Bus Drivers out there? - Mapmaker
Mapmaker I reckon £60.50 a week is further down the heap... :)
no offence intended to anyone else in my boat.

Oops, sorry I didn't even remotely mean to be offensive. (Sometimes I do mean to but fail to be; sometimes I do mean to and succeed. ;) )

Is £60.50 a week what they pay in jail? It's well below the minimum wage... [Bemused, and thus likely to have offended somebody else by mistake. Again, sorry.]

Normal complaints about bus driving jobs apparently include abuse from punters, antisocial hours and drunks. Still reckon I'd enjoy it.

Edited by Mapmaker on 03/06/2008 at 20:47

Any Bus Drivers out there? - Lud
Provided, as Boris Johnson says he would like to do, they bring back the clippie. Of course he or she wouldn't have to bother with money or tickets in these electronic days, but could train in martial arts and criminal psychology and carry a battery of non-lethal short-range weapons.

The clippie over the ear modern style.
Mappers, old bean - £60.50 is what the government decrees is an adequate amount of money to live on - the Jobseeker's Allowance, formerly known as the dole.
Do have a reality check sometime :)
and as for abuse from strangers and drunks that's fairly standard fare ('scuse the pun) for anyone walking through any of our towns and cities these days so I wouldn't mind being paid for taking it.
Why don't cruise ships fall over? - Dulwich Estate
I've been a bit jittery on open deck boats since the Townsend Thoresen RoRo ferry capsized at Zebrugge and have since taken an interest in just how much proportion of a boat is below the water line.

These mega cruise ships just seem to get taller and taller and tonight's 5 programme about the building of the huge Freedom of the Seas has got me thinking. There really wasn't a lot of it below the water line but something close to a 20+ storey block of flats on top. It doesn't look particularly wide in proportion to its height and length.

Now I know open load deck RoRo ferries are a special case with all that open expanse just waiting for the sea to rush in with no watertight compartments to speak of, but I still reckon it wouldn't take lot to get a cruise ship to fall over.

Any naval architects out there?
Why don't cruise ships fall over? - gordonbennet
DE

I couldn't tell you whether one of those monstrosities would fall over or not.

But my lovely lady SWMBO took me on Orient express to Venice for my importantish birthday (she's too good for me yes i know) and whilst in Venice, one of these dreadful cruise ships turned up, and completely dwarfed the place, and then proceeded to spill out thousands of.....Americans.

Words fail me in trying describe our feelings towards this 'thing' and its ugliness, and to think SWetc almost took me on a cruise instead.

There really is something...obscene about those mammoth cruise ships.
Why don't cruise ships fall over? - gordonbennet
Sorry forgot to say, in our pictures we took of Venice, this blasted ship looks like some giant superimpose as you might find on a monty python cartoon sketch.
Why don't cruise ships fall over? - L'escargot
This explains why cruise ships are inherently stable. tinyurl.com/3lyl3j
Why don't cruise ships fall over? - L'escargot
Google for "cruise ship stability" to get more websites on the subject.
Why don't cruise ships fall over? - Round The Bend
Some of the heaviest weights ever lifted (massive North Sea platforms) are lifted by what are essentially flat bottomed decks. These don't tip over.
Why don't cruise ships fall over? - Mapmaker
Some of the heaviest weights ever lifted (massive North Sea platforms) are lifted by what
are essentially flat bottomed decks. These don't tip over.

But they tend not to undertake such activities when the seas are running high.
Thanks for the link kind snail.

Interesting and it brought back memories of A Level Applied Maths.

It's all no doubt true, but I still won't go on one. They make a big thing nowadays in the adverts of cruises without having to fly. Just give me the plane and they can keep the boat!
Why don't cruise ships fall over? - Stuartli
I can't recall any cruise liners overturning.
Nor can I, but if you imagine a double decker bus up to its axles in water crawling along a flooded road and then picture it not as a double decker bus but as a boat, it just doesn't look right.

In my day (prehistoric, I know) and in my old trade (not maritime) if you designed something and it didn't look right - it probably wasn't.

Why don't cruise ships fall over? - BazzaBear {P}
The Poseidon? :D
Somewhere for dinner in Oxford(shire...) - PoloGirl
Meeting an old friend from back in the west midlands for a meal on Sunday. I was going to go and stay up there but I can't now so we need to find somewhere halfway between there and Hampshire, which I think is roughly Oxford or Oxfordshire.

Problem is, I accidentally found myself in central Oxford a while back, and vowed never to repeat the experience in a car ever again. (I know there is park and ride, but it will be late at night after dinner, and to be honest, I can't be bothered with park and ride).

So, I need somewhere for a meal in the Oxford area, but not IN Oxford. Country pub type place preferred over chain restaurant but I'm not that fussy. Parking would be excellent!

Any recommendations?
Somewhere for dinner in Oxford(shire...) - Paul Robinson
Just over over the boundry into Gloucestershire, but not far from Oxford:

www.foxinn.net/location.html

You'd need to book though!
Somewhere for dinner in Oxford(shire...) - Mapmaker
Two places near Faringdon I went to 3 years ago when a friend was living nearby: www.trout-inn.co.uk/
www.eagletavern.co.uk (which has apparently changed hands since I was last there)

Somewhere for dinner in Oxford(shire...) - henry k
The Swan at Minster Lovell.
It is now associated with a conference centre but it is straight out of the "Images of olde England"

"De Vere Venues The Mill and Old Swan - Minster Lovell - Hotel Description
The Mill & Old Swan offers a satisfying blend of Cotswold stone and half timbering dating back 600 years. .
The Mill and Old swan stands in a 60 acre estate along the banks of the River Windrush in the picturesque village of Minster Lovell. This charming split centre, offers a wealth of oak beams and roaring log fires to welcome you. In the summer, enjoy drinks on the terrace overlooking the river.
www.deverevenues.co.uk/find-venue/the-mill-and-old...l
www.headington.org.uk/oxon/postcards/minster_lovel...m

I have been there many times over many years. The last time was on a business course and I thought the food was good.
probably need to book.
You might be interested to look in The Mill and have a look at what has been created there.
Somewhere for dinner in Oxford(shire...) - FotheringtonThomas
White Hart, Fyfield.
Somewhere for dinner in Oxford(shire...) - PoloGirl
I knew the BR wouldn't let me down. Thanks!
Oh dear - help please - wotspur

About 6 months ago I borrowed space in a neighbours garage and stored some stuff there- then 2 months ago she unfortunately died.
I told the neighbour, who had dealt with her affairs, I still had stuff in it- and to let me know when it needs to be cleared, as the lady's kids lived abroad.

Today I went to get some work equipment out, and it had gone -its costly stuff can I make a claim, and potentially against whom ?
Oh dear - help please - Mapmaker
I doubt your household insurance will cover you against loss of work equipment.

I should be surprised if your work insurance will cover you against loss of items from a garage when there is no evidence of forced entry.

Do you have a contract with the lady - which would pass on to her executors - indicating the terms under which she would store your rubbish, and how much you would be paying her? If so, you may be able to sue her executors under the terms of the contract.

Did you alert the executors to this state of affairs?

{ 8< SNIP last paragraph removed following several complaints}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/06/2008 at 13:38

No there was no contract -she did me a favour - in repayment for doingther garden, hospital trips- loking after her etc.

I asked a civil question- if you can't respond like wise don't bother
Oh dear - help please - Dipstick
{comment to which the below relates has now been removed}

It's completely bonkers responses like this from some that make me much less inclined to post or visit this forum.

Just so as you know.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/06/2008 at 13:42

Oh dear - help please - maltrap
Hear Hear, there's no need for offensive replies. I think you should approach the executors/dependants and explain what's happened and the freindly arrangement you had to see if you could claim off any household insurance she may have had. Don't hold your breath with the insurance company though.
Oh dear - help please - BazzaBear {P}
Just to be clear -

When you say it has gone, do you mean it's been stolen, or that the executor has disposed of it?
The garage had a padlock on, that only I and the deceased lady had a key to - this has been taken off, not sure if key was used, as padlock gone, and both her items and my items been removed-

I assume the executors arranged this as apparantly there was a lorry doing a clearance a week back, but I hadn't been informed and didn't know about it till I asked around the neighbours , as I only found the items missing late on thursday, and I ve been away since then.

I'm going to do some investigations, becuase whilst the items in her house were old, as was the stuff in her garage that was hers.
The items belonging to me and my firm were, new, boxed and obviously expensive, and would be difficult to accept that they were unwanted -prehaps they'll turn up on ebay for sale -I'll keep a look out.

Yes in hindsight I could/should have removed them for storage elsewhere or put a note there stating that they were my items, but as I had told people, I thought were dealing with everything, on behalf of the family, to give me notice of anything happening, which never happened.
Overnighting in Ashford - any ideas? - Mike H
I've booked a cheap 2-for-1 deal on a Eurostar trip to Paris from Ashford for our wedding anniversary. Unfortunately, I discovered after making my "non-amendable non-refundable" booking that I can't get to Ashford by train by 7:25am, and would prefer not to drive, so I'll need an overnight stay in Ashford the night before (had I known this, I'd have gone to Paris the evening before and spent a romantic night there instead). Can anyone recommend somewhere that is within walking distance (10-15 minutes) of Ashford International? Doesn't need to be posh, a simple B&B will do as long as we have an en suite.

TIA
Meant to say that my target price is less than £65. Don't need breakfast.
Overnighting in Ashford - any ideas? - maz64
Travelodge? They're doing some cheap deals at the moment ('from £19 per room'), and you should be able to get a breakfast before you go. Problem is it's 2.8 miles (by road) from station, although there might be a bus.

Sorry- just seen you don't need breakfast.

Edited by Focus {P} on 06/06/2008 at 14:56

I have already booked a Travelodge room as a backstop (cancellable), but if I can get nearer the centre it avoids taxis - would rather not rely on buses at 6:30am!

I have found a couple of places near the station, but I'd like to hear some personal recommendations before I follow them up.
Overnighting in Ashford - any ideas? - Mapmaker
By the time you've paid for a travelodge, are you better off dumping the outward trip and buying a new train ticket so having the romantic night in Paris. Annoying, but...
Overnighting in Ashford - any ideas? - Lud
the romantic night in Paris. Annoying
but...

Never mind romantic. More interesting place. Better food. Better hotels. Needn't cost the earth.
By the time you've paid for a travelodge are you better off dumping the outward
trip and buying a new train ticket so having the romantic night in Paris. Annoying
but...

Interesting thought. The Eurostar was around £58. But then I still have to buy a new ticket, AND pay for the Paris hotel. It's not as though I'm trying to impress her, it's our 32nd anniversary so not exactly the first flush!!
Overnighting in Ashford - any ideas? - Mapmaker
It's only ever too late to impress her when you're dead, isn't it?
Overnighting in Ashford - any ideas? - mfarrow
I don't know where you're travelling from or on what day, but are there any interim stations on your route which you could stop at and rest before going forward to Ashford the next day?

It would mean slightly increased domestic ticket costs (an open return to station X and then an open return from station X to Ashford the next day) but I would think this would easily be offset by the price of taxis.

Edited by mfarrow on 06/06/2008 at 18:57

Overnighting in Ashford - any ideas? - bathtub tom
Have you tried the "visit Britain" site? :
www.visitbritain.com/

It's the old tourist information offices. You know the accomodation will meet certain standards, and although you can probably find cheaper, there's an awful lot more expensive.
Thanks for the tip - in fact, both of the small places I had thought of turned out to be on here. I have now booked for the night, and despite the place being only 10 mins walk from the station, the owners kindly offered to pick us up from the station when we arrived. Had to forego the en suite but i guess we can cope with that for one night.
Money for holiday - maz64
Off to Cala n Bosch, Menorca, next week and wondering what the best way to take money is. Plan is mostly travellers cheques (euros), some cash, along with the usual Nationwide Visa debit card. Is that reasonable?
Cheers
John
Money for holiday - daveyjp
Was in Menorca this time last year. We took a couple of hundred pounds in euros then used the cashpoint once for a withdrawal whilst we were there. Never even considered travellers cheques - I would take sterling ones as unused ones can be paid back into your account. Prepaid plastic cards are now available as an alternative, Post Office do them.

Menorca is the not the cheapest of the Balearics and due to currency exchange situation it will be about 17% more expensive than last year.
Money for holiday - oldnotbold
Travellers cheques are almost dead. Don't bother with them, in my experience.

Take some euros in cash for when you arrive, use the NW card for meals etc., and have a back up debit/credit card in another wallet/purse so you are not left stranded.
Money for holiday - maz64
Ok, thanks for the info. I saw the 'cash passport' prepaid currency card on the Travelex site- usable at most places then?

Edited by Focus {P} on 10/06/2008 at 10:41

Money for holiday - oldnotbold
Shop around for the pre-paid euro cards - charges vary considerably.
Money for holiday - rtj70
I'd forget travellers cheques - you can use a cashpoint when you're there. So take some money but maybe not too much.

At the start of May we went to Lefkas and took about ?200 which worked out at the time as ?1.19 to the £ and was "commission free". Took money out twice when over there which will have had a fee. Even taking into the fee I got ?1.22 to the £.

I would not pay for anything overseas in a restaurant with a debit card. I'd use cash or credit card. In fact I do the same over here in case someone has tampered with the credit card machine.

Edited by rtj70 on 10/06/2008 at 11:10