Facelift Sept 2003 - MW
I need to change the car over the summer and a 2 litre automatic petrol Mondeo is in pole position.
How critical was the facelift in Sept 2003?
I know that these facelifts are often a chance to correct many early faults (rear suspension bushes?) but was this facelift of that type or just a bit more chrome and tart?
Any experiences before and after the facelift?
Facelift Sept 2003 - rtj70
The interior was improved in my opinion. I did not like the MkIII centre console at all but it was acceptable on the facelift. It was facelifted again a few years later.
Facelift Sept 2003 - Blue {P}
Sorry I can't answer much about the design changes (the guys at fordmonde.org will though), bt I can tell you that the September 03 facelift was the best one they did to the Mondeo, they deleted very little (although did get rid of rear electrics in the LX) and added lots of extra kit, almost the whole range barring the LX got digitial climate control, cruise control, better dash layout, and, in the Ghia X models very noticeable increases in standard equipment. They also made it a lot more attractive.

The later facelift deleted the bump strips on the side which I think cheapens the car, don't know what other changes they made though apart from the rear light clusters.

Facelift Sept 2003 - timbo0409
Hi

I am in the market for a mondeo at the moment around the 2003 year - can anybody tell me what the main differences are post 2003 facelift (how do you tell them apart visually?)

cheers

tim
Facelift Sept 2003 - Red Baron
Early 2003 versions had round front fogs, later, i.e., 2004 models had square front fogs. The 2004 model also had clear glass at the top of the rear light cluster.

Beware 2003 model. About this time the problem of the notorious rusting doors due to incorrect sealant was sown.

How do I know. I have one.
Facelift Sept 2003 - Red Baron
And the 2004 model had larger door mirrors and a more prominent oval clock in the centre console and, yes, cruise control and a trip computer.
The centre console is totally different when they revised it.... I too had rusting rear doors on a October 2003 Mondeo.
Facelift Sept 2003 - Marc
The rusting doors were there from the start of the Mk111. Mine was an 01 Y plate.
Facelift Sept 2003 - Saltrampen
2003 - major revision - mechanicals and styling - supposedly improved Door and subrame bush situation as well as seat comfort.
2005 - Superficial facelift.
I believe side bump strips were standard on most models (not sure about Titanium) until new 2007 Mk 4 arrived.
Re 2 litre Automatic - I guess you've read HJ's comments on the Mondeo autobox in car by car breakdown? ie. be wary of 60k+ autoboxes.
Vaguely remember there were a claimed "1500" changes in the 2003 makeover. But then you can get several 100 changes just by changing the nut, bolt and washer supplier!
My impression is that the facelifted post 2003 model has improved reliability slightly.

Facelift Sept 2003 - MW
That is very interesting. The autobox does worry me, but I hear about lots of Ford boxes that go on for ages. I plan to flush the gearbox out each year to make it last. Anyone had real good or bad experiences with this autobox?
My 2004 model year Mondeo (a Euro IV 2.0 TDCi Ghia) had the rusting rear doors and had bushes replaced (twice).

The rust would have been spotted on the (optional) annual bodywork inspection but being a lease car they refused to pay this to save a few pounds because most cars disposed of before 3 years... mine was on a 4 year lease. So beware ex lease cars.