What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I Have a Question - Volume 229 - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 230 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 229. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found :-HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 03/04/2008 at 22:11

Mobile phone reception - oldgit
I don't know what it is but often when I'm out and about, I turn on my mobile (being of the generation that doesn't have it on all the time) and invariably find that, unlike other souls around me, they have a signal and I don't.

Today, just to cite one example, we went to a local pub for lunch and I looked at my mobile (it was on, on this occasion) only to find practically zilch reception. Again, other people in the pub seemed to be OK in this respect, most being able to speak on theirs.

I have always been with Orange and have had PAYG phones and last year bought a new Nokia 2630 but this seems no better than my Siemens phone. In fact my partner, sitting next to me, switched on her Siemens phone and managed quite a respectable signal strength!

Mobile phone reception - Alby Back
Without naming names some mobile service providers have better/worse coverage than others. I find O2 very good.
Mobile phone reception - rtj70
Reception will depend on your network provider, phone and also if the phone has a problem with the aerial.

I have a Nokia N70 so can install extra applications (it's a Symbian smartphone). I find that without moving I can have a good signal at home and then a little later a very poor one. Checking which cell I am connected to I find the phone is switching from cell to cell (about 3 or 4 different ones) at times without me moving!

I have found switching the phone to use only GSM cells makes it more reliable at home.

But for you it depends where you are, where the cell you are connecting to is, and what's between you and the cell mast.

And the downside of having weak signals is the phone boosts it's power for the antenna and runs your battery down faster.
Mobile phone reception - JH
shoespy is oh so right. My company phone is now Orange and reception is awful. It was previously Vodafone & O2 before that and they were far better. I understand that T Mobile (which Virgin Mobile uses) has poor coverage too.
JH
What phone is it?
Sorry r, are you asking me? It's a horrible Orange thing, an SPV something. The phone is so bad I've tried the SIM in a Nokia (sorry I'm clueless at models) and it makes no difference, so I think it's down to the signal not the phone.
JH
Mobile phone reception - Stuartli
I have a friend who runs a hugely successful business - the Vodaphone network is the network his company uses.
Yes I was asking you what phone it was. if you've tried it in another phone then it sounds like the signal. I assume it's showing as weak or non-existent on the phone.

You could try to look up where your nearest mast is.

One reason I would think Orange 2G (and all 3G phones) can have weak signals in some areas is they user higher frequencies than Vodafone and O2 2G so the signals do not carry so far. They basically need more cells. You seem to live somewhere with a weak signal.
r
spot on. The signal strength on the phone shows as poor to non existent depending upon where I am in the house, whereas O2 and Vodafone were much stronger. Indeed with Vodafone I had a choice of at least 4 cells by wandering round the house, judging by the feature which shows the local dialling code!

Before moving over to Orange I tried to check the signal strength by looking on the Orange web site. This was down for a week ( :-( ) and then showed my home as being in one of the best signal areas. Ha ha. I do get an "E" on the phone rather than a "G" from time to time but coupled with one chocolate block on the signal strength indicator. And as you say, this results in the battery going flat in no time.

Orange seem to be having a bit of a push in the business market, I know of two other companies I work with going over to them. I'd advise giving them a miss from personal experience.

JH
Mobile phone reception - Pugugly
We've just moved over to Orange from Vodafone corporately, there was a little difficulty in my number switching over - I have to say that the Orange helpline (for business) was first class.
P
how do you feel about voicemail , voicemail greeting, voicemail temporary greeting? I think the way it's set up is very poor, very slow. At least you can "jump ahead" and press the option buttons before that awful woman finishes speaking now. Yes I know it's rude but she's only a machine (and how long before that's pc!?) That's an improvement that was added a few months ago. Until then you had to wait for her to finish. Yes dearie I KNOW what a voicemail temporary greeting is and I know what my old one was now can I just get on with it please? Not you P. Wouldn't dream of calling you "dearie"!

JH
Mobile phone reception - Pugugly
I haven't bothered with it ! It was horrible compared to Vodafone and 02. I now divert any unanswered calls to my deskphone. Voicemails are then sent to me by e-mail to the (Blackberry) phone. Isn't technology wonderful.
Legal advice needed please - audiA6tdi
Hi wonder if anyone could help.
A work colleague who is a good friend has stupidly stolen a computer from work. The incident was caught on cctv. The police have been called and looked around the area.
He was shown the cctv footage which showed him walking out the building with a cardboard box (which he said was just an empty box that he wanted for ebay.)
He is now worried about the consequences. During the investigation interview at work he said that he took an empty box to his car but did not steal a pc. Ive told him how stupid he was to do it but he is now in the situation where he doesn?t know what to do for the best and feels he is digging himself into a hole.
Can anyone offer any advice or what kind of sentence the courts dish out for this?
He handed his notice in on the day he got suspended in the morning (before suspension was given) as he has another job.
thanks

Edited by Pugugly on 29/03/2008 at 14:55

Legal advice needed please - Pugugly
Impossible to say - Too many variables. For instance, Criminal Record (Y/N), whether he admits it, whether the property is recovered, whether he pleads guilty, depends on any mitigation, other factors to be taken into consideration are "breach of trust". Could be Community Service (or whatever politically correct nonsense the've come up with to call it now), Probabtion or even porridge suspended or actual.

Edited by Pugugly on 29/03/2008 at 15:10

he has a meeting next week with work which they will present the evidence. ive told him to just admit it and offer to hand the pc back which i think will look better in his favour. he is of good character and has no past history.
Has it got any data on it or is it a new one ?
no he said the pc was about 3 years old and not being used on a daily basis. no sensistive data on there apparently. who would press charges if they wanted to - the company or the police?
thanks
The company would report it to the Police (which is optional) the Police would investigate only when the company choose to make a statement, they would then arrest, interview and search (if the computer wasn;t forthcoming), depending on passing a "threshold test" the Officer dealing would go to the CPS who would then decide whether your friend was charged or not.

I'd persuade your friend to fall on his sword and get it sorted before the Police are officially involved.
i advised him to swallow his pride and get it sorted now. he was advised by his manager that the cctv footage has been requested by the police. how true this is im unsure - perhaps they are trying to scare him into owning up. He is of good character, exactly why he did this is beyond me. he highly regrets the incident and is sick with worry.
Legal advice needed please - Alby Back
A previously highly regarded and respected very senior manager with a large company I used to work for was caught on the day before he was due to retire after some 30 years service removing company property into the boot of his car. He not only ended up in prison but lost his pension rights as well. Subsequent investigation also revealed that he had been up to all sorts of no good for some time. Ruined his life. Stupid stupid man.
Legal advice needed please - 007
Audi...Best advice is the old one...honesty is the best policy. Tell your friend to go cap-in-hand. Do let us know the outcome.
battery tester - wotspur
On a previous IHAQ I was advised that a voltmeter from Maplin at 5.99 BOGOF would sort out the problem -well I eventually ordered one and got a freebie, all well and good so thanks for the advice.
However, the instructions were at best pathetic, but then I suppose, people who buy them should know how to use them -well I Haven't got a SCOOBIE, so more advice please.
I've put the BLACK lead in the bottom hole "COM" and the RED in V ohm A -but Ive no idea where to put the dial to decide on whether the batteries work.
I want to test numerous AA and AAA batteries -how do I do the readings and what is a worth while reading for me to retain said battery-THANKS AGAIN
battery tester - mjm
Wotspur, you have email.

Checking batteries you need the meter on DC voltage, 1 1/2 volts for the small ones.

MJM

Edited by mjm on 29/03/2008 at 18:41

battery tester - David Horn
wotspur - a voltmeter isn't really a reliable way of testing a battery, since they really need to be put under load in order to get a correct reading. Having said that, in my experience a normal AA battery can be considered knackered if the meter shows less than about 1.4 volts across it.
battery tester - pmh
Sorry to say this, but based on how you have asked the question, I think that you are likely to need your freebie before long!

Looking at your (lack of ) understanding of what is involved dont ever switch to the ohm, mA or A ranges and stick to testing low voltage batteries only.

BA Heathrow Terminal 5 Shambles - nick62
How on Earth can BA have made such a total disaster of this?

Apparently on the opening day (Thursday?), there wasn't even enough car parking spaces for the staff.

I never use Heathrow as I'm from the grim norrf, but it reinforces my decision to use Lufthansa (or KLM if pushed) rather than BA when I fly to Germany (and other European destinations via Frankfurt/Munich) from Manchester.

I've also noticed Manchester Airport's standards are slipping recently too. Staff would rather have an argument than help you out sometimes. I'm sure some of them hide behind this "we will not tolerate abuse of our staff" line, (not that I have abused anyone!)

Basically air travel, (much like road travel), has become such a drag it is a wonder so many people can be bothered.
BA Heathrow Terminal 5 Shambles - Pugugly
Oh dear just about to book my US Fly/Drive hols. Perhaps I should go to the attic instead !
BA Heathrow Terminal 5 Shambles - Armitage Shanks {p}
PU - are you some sort of sadist? Flying out thru LHR T5 (maybe) and then 'welcomed' to the Land of the Free by long queues, draconian interviews, fingerprints, your life story and maybe an intimate examination? No thanks! I can stay at home and be harrassed by Jobsworths!

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 29/03/2008 at 18:55

BA Heathrow Terminal 5 Shambles - Alby Back
Agree with you nick. I use the tunnel and my car whenever possible despite living oop in ferret land myself. It's not that I dislike flying, it's the dehumanising processes at the airports I despise. Much prefer to retain my independence by travelling by car. A trip I do from time to time is to and from Dusseldorf. The time difference door to door can be less than two hours using car versus air.
BA Heathrow Terminal 5 Shambles - daveyjp
There was a piece in a Sunday paper a few weeks ago with top 10 tips for a stress free holiday - high up the list was choose a regional airport. The reporter even saying he preferred to use Coventry than more local airports and he lived in Kent!

What I can't believe with T5 is baggage is still loaded off the aircraft onto trolleys, moved, unloaded then placed on the conveyors in to the baggage area - modern airports have one conveyor system connecting aircraft to baggage carousel. The fact you have to get buses to go to some of the aircraft stands (over 50% I believe) also beggars belief - that is a massive step backwards.

We went to Dubai 8 years ago and the luggage was waiting for us by the time we walked from the aircraft to the baggage hall - a journey of only 10 minutes - it wasn't going round on the carousel either - it had been lifted off and left for all the passengers. Last time I used Manchester it took over an hour for our bags to appear.

The whole of Hong Kong Airport moved overnight and there were very few problems.

BA could also be in deep trouble for short changing passengers by not offering EU levels of compensation - they offered £100 for a hotel room, they have to offer accommodation whatever the cost, plus compensation for the delay.
BA Heathrow Terminal 5 Shambles - nick
Humberside is wonderful. A short hop to Schipol then on to anywhere.
BA Heathrow Terminal 5 Shambles - crunch_time
It has been suggested that BA would find it cheaper to 'lose' all the 15,000+ baggage and pay minimum compensation instead of sorting it and returning to its' owners.

BA Heathrow Terminal 5 Shambles - henry k
>>What I can't believe with T5 is baggage is still loaded off the aircraft onto trolleys, moved, unloaded then placed on the conveyors in to the baggage area
>>
Some of the narrow bodied aircraft have loose bags in the hold
The wide body aircraft have "cans" - big specially shaped boxes that fit nice n snug in the hold.

>>- modern airports have one conveyor system connecting aircraft to baggage carousel.
Er NO.
>>
The fact you have to get buses to go to some of the aircraft stands (over 50% I believe) also beggars belief - that is a massive step backwards.
>>
I think you may not be aware of some of the situations at airports.
The press is not very accurate on reporting many aspects of aviation.
For example. IIRC Very early BA long haul arrivals at Heathrow are NOT permitted to use Terminal 4 but taxi to the cargo centre and passengers are bussed to T4.
This is purely for noise abatement reasons so as to keep to a minimum the noise away from the local residents.

>>The whole of Hong Kong Airport moved overnight and there were very few problems.
Not true.
Removing eye liner from carpet. - legacylad
Friend of mine's daughter has trodden eyeliner into a cream woollen stair carpet....in three places!
She has no spare carpet on which to experiment with white spirit (or whatever).
Any removal suggestions please before she has to go down the route of an insurance claim?
Removing eye liner from carpet. - Stuartli
Some suggestions at:

tinyurl.com/2mdgpm

tinyurl.com/3cc2mc

tinyurl.com/2mmfq8

Seems baby wipes also work (for most stains).
Commercial Airliner UK routes - Happy Blue!
There are various flightpaths over our house, one of which is clearly related to aircraft coming into land at Manchester. Today however, I saw another plane which was also quite low, but flying a different course, although also looked to be aiming for the airport.

Is there is a map of the fixed routes that aircraft follow in the UK, so I can see what is going on above my roof?
Commercial Airliner UK routes - Stuartli
>>but flying a different course, although also looked to be aiming for the airport.>>

I used to regularly visit a friend who lived in Stockport for many years before moving.

He used to complain on a reasonably frequent basis to the management at Manchester airport that some aircraft were not following the correct flight path and coming in over the Stockport area.

Seems that if the wind was in the other direction and planes took off the opposite way there was no problem as they followed the normal flight path.
Commercial Airliner UK routes - Chas{P}
In very simple terms, aircraft cannot follow rigid routes into airports as they?re not running on rails or roads. The wind direction dictates which end of the runway they land on. There are guidelines on how they make their approaches to join the circuit above the perimeter of the airport and this sometimes has to comply with noise abatement over built up areas. If an approaching aircraft is told of other traffic in the area to be aware of by air traffic control then they may deviate from the usual heading and altitude.

HTH
How to reodorise a microwave? - Armitage Shanks {p}
This should really be an April 1st question! I managed to try to dry a plastic electronic item by warming up my microwave in convection mode and putting it into the warm air to dry. I than managed to press some button(s) wrongly and the whole shebang caught fire, acrid smoke and house smoke alarm going off! Whole thing is full of nasty black greasy smoke residue. Is there anything I can reasonably to clean it up or is it a trip to the tip and on to Currys? Please laugh and then help!
How to reodorise a microwave? - Pugugly
Bin it and buy a new one. Think flurocarbons.
How to reodorise a microwave? - billy25
A good scrub with a mild oven cleaner liquid and a non-metallic scrubber (so you dont damage the inner coating of the micro-wave) and see what happens! You might not get rid of the smell for a while though! - personally, i think i would buy new, they are cheap enough at the moment.

p.s
I like the way you say you "managed" to press some buttons! ;-)

Billy
How to deodorise a microwave? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Daewoo Helpline said clean out with Mr Muscle or similar and then put in a bowl of water with 2 half lemons in it and microwave until it boils and makes a nice fragrant steamy sauna! Thanks for the heads up on Fuorcarbons PU! As a man who has lived on crisp bacon and well cooked BBQ I am either immune or at death's door! We shall see!
How to deodorise a microwave? - Group B
I did the lemons treatment a week ago: chopped lemons in already boiling water, in a big bowl so it doesn't boil over; five minutes on full power.
The steam makes it easier to clean the inside, and quite effectively removes old food smells from the "exhaust". Dont know how effective it will be on burnt plastic smell though!

Reminds me of the time me and a friend got home somewhat the worse for drink and he put the full bag of take-away curry in the microwave to reheat, paper bag, aluminium cartons, the lot. I walked back into the kitchen to see him opening the microwave door and flames shooting out over a foot.
The machine was a bit scorched but we continued to use it for the rest of the year.

;o)

Edited by Rich 9-3 on 31/03/2008 at 18:05

How to deodorise a microwave? - L'escargot
Bicarbonate of soda is good for getting rid of smells, but I'm not sure how you would use it in a microwave. For fridges and freezers you wipe the interior with a solution of bicarbonate of soda in water.

Edited by Pugugly on 31/03/2008 at 18:17

How to deodorise a microwave? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Thank you all! I think I have a result! I cleaned up the inside and dried it out. I then boiled a pint of water and put it in the machine with some lemon juice (no lemon available) and microed it for about 10 minutes. All seems well but the inside of house is still a bit whiffy! I tried some joss sticks and now it smells like a house of ill repute!

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 31/03/2008 at 21:43

How to deodorise a microwave? - hxj

I wouldn't have bothered, I bought a new one from Tesco's last month under £30 and clean!
How to deodorise a microwave? - Stuartli
>>.. I bought a new one from Tesco's last month under £30 and clean!>>

We bought a stainless steel microwave from Argos just before Christmas (a De Longhi) which was on offer at half price for £35 as it was being discontinued.

Tesco has exactly the same model re-badged under its own name at £79 (£10 more than Argos's original price) still on sale - occasionally it's sold at a reduced price of £59 on its website...:-)

The same microwave is also sold under the Cookworks brand name.

Someone, somewhere, is making a handsome profit on such products.
How to deodorise a microwave? - Stuartli
>>..and now it smells like a house of ill repute!>>

And, dear sir, how are you aware of that fact...:-)

Edited by Stuartli on 01/04/2008 at 01:15

How to deodorise a microwave? - bathtub tom
Has no-one else ever tried microwaving a bar of soap?
How to deodorise a microwave? - normd2
not personally - it's what youtube's for...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yzfbl4EZOE&NR=1
Recycling/Disposal of Coat Hangers - rtj70
We've been having a clearout of all sorts recently. We have found loads of unwanted coat hangers (all sort but mainly plastic) and want to get rid of them.

I asked at two local charity shops but they don't want them. I certainly don't want to bin them or take to the local tip... so any suggestions? I'd thought maybe schools, hospitals but not sure if I'd sound a little mad approaching them.

Cheers
Recycling/Disposal of Coat Hangers - billy25
A local Ladies Fashion shop here just puts them outside in a large cardboard box labelled "Free! - Help yourself" and they dont hang around long!

Billy
I'll come around where you live then ;-) Near the Manchester area by any chance or on route from here to Windsor?
Recycling/Disposal of Coat Hangers - Pugugly
E-bay as a job lot ?
I don't use ebay and have no intention to ;-)

But there must be somewhere that needs these?? I still think charity shop but the local ones said no :-(
Recycling/Disposal of Coat Hangers - deepwith
They seem to go on Freecycle.
I'll look at Freecycle, whatever that is.
Google Freecycle then sign in to your local group. You offer anything you no longer want/need which is too good for landfill and then can ask for things you need. Anything from a Haynes Manual to a car have been offered on our local one!
Recycling/Disposal of Coat Hangers - Pugugly
Don't use your primary e-mail address, talking to my BiL he's been bombarded with emails offering him all sorts !
Thanks PU. I get enough SPAM already! Most dealt with my rules but easily 50+ per day
You can opt to be sent emails about all the offers/taken/wanted - which means dozens a day if a large group - or just to check the listings yourself on the site. If you opt for checking rather than emails, you are less likely to be first in the queue for goodies - your choice.
Sounding like I find schools/charity or landfill. :-(
Recycling/Disposal of Coat Hangers - 007
Try your local dry cleaners. Some of them may have come from there in the first place and some donate a few pence to charity for each plastic one returned.
Recycling/Disposal of Coat Hangers - BobbyG
Charity shops either have their own branded ones or have plenty of hangers already and no space for more!

The large supermarket I used to work for binned their hangers, hundreds a day I am afraid!

Seem to remember there was a comedy film where the guy had made all his money making and selling coat hangers as he reckoned demand would never cease, too cheap to warrant any sort of recycling scheme, but enough volume to make him lots of money!
Removing tree sap from car roof - legacylad
A friend of mine rang today and mentioned that she has tree sap on the roof of her car, and washing it had not removed this sticky mess. It has the appearance of 'black splodges' on the bronze metallic paintwork.
Aside from obviously using her garage in future, does anyone have any recommendations?

I am still awaiting feedback from my friend whose daughter trod eyeliner into a cream woollen carpet....thanks for the prompt response to that particular problem.
Removing tree sap from car roof - FotheringtonThomas
White spirit? It'll probably de-wax, though, and I'd test an inconspicuous area first!
Removing tree sap from car roof - Mapmaker
Are you sure it's sap? Probably "honey dew" - insect excreta.
Probably "honey dew" - insect excreta.

Honeydew is not "insect excreta", it's a honey resulting from the collection by bees of tree exudations (etc.) rather than nectar from flowers. The stuff to which you refer should come off quite easily with detergent and warm water.

Hello clouds, hello sky, hello seagull. Oh, I say, how frightful!

Edited by FotheringtonThomas on 02/04/2008 at 18:20

Removing tree sap from car roof - nick
FT, you're utterly wet and a weed, as any fule kno :-)

Edited by nick on 02/04/2008 at 18:23

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound brusque - there are different interpretations of "honeydew", including that such as aphids produce when "tickled" by ants; but what I was thinking of, patticularly, is such as produced by lime trees, under which the parking of cars is occasionally inadvisable, but within the canopy of which, on long gentle windless sunny days, multitudes of melliferous bees are to be seen, industriously collecting the exudate to a gently melodious humming. Happy days!

Oh, bother. So I really am a wet and a weed.
Removing tree sap from car roof - Mapmaker
Not brusque, FT, just wrong... ;) SFAIK it is not produced by lime trees, but by aphids that feed on lime trees.

www.gla.ac.uk/services/estates/Sustainability/Biod...l

The lime tree possesses an unfortunate reputation for the production of honeydew by aphids that infest the tree in summer. The lime aphid (Eucallipterus tiliae), with its yellow-green body and distinctive dark markings on its wings, is not unattractive to look at but it often infests leaves in spring and summer, in sufficient numbers to cause extensive fouling of the foliage with honey dew and sooty moulds. Falling honeydew makes a sticky mess on garden plants, furniture and cars. Because of this, the silver-leaved lime, (T. petiolaris), is being planted in gardens, for it is resistant to aphid attack.

Which is quite different to:

The flowers of the lime are particularly attractive to bees and lime honey is well known.

Removing tree sap from car roof - legacylad
Well, I'll go t'foot of our stairs.So many big and funny sounding words, so little time.
Removing tree sap from car roof - Stuartli
Well, I'll go t'foot of our stairs>>

You're a Lancashire lad then?
Any personal experience of kidney stones? - Big Bad Dave
I think I have one.

Since Easter I've had this sensation that I was constantly desperate for a wee, even after having just been, I thought it was just an infection - at least up until yesterday.

Yesterday evening I had a sudden crippling, agonising pain in my lower stomach, so bad that it had me collapsed on the floor for about 15 minutes. It gradually faded and the sensation of needing a wee was miraculously gone - like something that was pressing on my bladder had moved.

I had three more attacks like this during the night, my wife was on the point of calling an ambulance. I'm ok this morning but I get twangs from time to time. I'm wondering if a stone has started his journey from kidney to bladder, I know I'm susceptible because I get gout.

I have reservations about posting such a personal problem on here but where I am unlikely to get an English-speaking doctor this week. I'd be grateful for wise words about what mght happen in the next few days, I'm a little bit worried to say the least about how this little guy is going to finish his journey.

I've seen what's on the net, I'm really after personal (reassuring) experiences.
Any personal experience of kidney stones? - L'escargot
I've not had kidney stones but a few weeks ago I had a batch of 3 bladder stones which passed out in about 4 days. The pain was one of an intense need to constantly wee. I managed to apprehend the largest (approx 3 mm dia) stone which enabled my doctor to get it analysed to help determine the cause. Fortunately there was no underlying problem, and I may never get bladder stones again. See a doctor. Amongst other things, your doctor ought to arrange an ultrasound scan of your abdomen to see what's what. I had routine blood tests at the same time and one of these revealed an unrelated problem. If, and I do emphasise "if", you are unlucky enough to get to the point where you can't wee then you will need emergency treatment. With any luck what you've got will eventually pass out when you wee. It's a relief when it does, I can tell you!
Cheers L'escargot, I've never heard of bladder stones, perhaps that's what it is. Certainly sounds similar.

I am actually off to the doctor shortly, albeit a Polish one.

4 days...
Any personal experience of kidney stones? - adverse camber
A guy I worked with went down with this (dont remember if it was kidney or bladder) in the middle of a sales presentation. I remember him being in severe pain - we got out and he collapsed. I drove him to hospital and he was in for 3 or 4 days.

I think they can do something with ultrasonics to try and break them up before they pass. Pepys suffered from bladder stones and had an operation for it. He then celebrated the anniversary of the op every year - so I guess its a significant release from pain.

Edited by adverse camber on 03/04/2008 at 11:59

Any personal experience of kidney stones? - Nsar
Can you call NHS Direct from abroad?

"Can you call NHS Direct from abroad?"

Never thought of that. I've seen a doctor now and she is sure it's kidney stones so I've booked into a private clinic tomorrow for a blood test and an ultrasound scan and depending how big they are they will either try and dissolve them or blast them with sound. Well I've hit 40 and as expected it's all going down hill. First time I've ever had a doctor that was younger than me.

Good news is she said I should drink plenty of water and beer - it has properties that help dissolve them. How often do you get breaks like that?
Any personal experience of kidney stones? - L'escargot
............. she said I should drink plenty of water and beer - it
has properties that help dissolve them.

It doesn't dissolve them. As I understand it drinking plenty of fluids helps to dilute and flush out the stagnant pockets where the stones develop. The stones start off as a microscopic nucleus in stagnant concentrated fluid and gradually get bigger. Drinking plenty of fluids helps to prevent the pockets becoming concentrated and flushes out the nucleii as quickly as they form. For an ultrasound test you have to drink about 1.5 pints of water 90 minutes before the test and hold it in until the test (which might take 30 minutes, and during which your abdomen is gently pummelled with the probe) is over. That will test your bladder control! Have a practice tonight without the pummelling!
Any personal experience of kidney stones? - rtj70
You'd think you could call it but it's a strange/short 0845 number, namely 0845 4647 so would +44 845 4647 work I wonder?

I tried it on Skype and that says invalid number.
Any personal experience of kidney stones? - henry k
You'd think you could call it but it's a strange/short 0845 number namely 0845 4647
so would +44 845 4647 work I wonder?
I tried it on Skype and that says invalid number.

>>

That is a relief:-)
It saves the rest of the world further availing themselves of the "free" NHS.
Any personal experience of kidney stones? - Stuartli
I would imagine that, despite being an 0845 prefix, you will be connected to an NHS Direct centre somewhere in your area.

You can also find NHS Direct pages on Freeview (from the Sky Text service for example).
Any personal experience of kidney stones? - bathtub tom
>>Good news is she said I should drink plenty of water and beer

Sounds like my local, unfortunately it's in the same glass.
Investment/savings question - PhilW
Dear All,
I'm a bit (!) ignorant of financial matters and have never had much money to spare (not sure which is cause and which is effect there!)
However, I'm due to retire in the non too distant future and have had some advice that I should stick £50,000 into a Prudential Fund Investment Plan (Prufund Growth Fund?) which has the usual riders that "figures are not guaranteed , you could get back more or less" etc etc. It also a charge of 1.99% per year for the first 5 years
Figures show that assuming 4% growth, after 5 years it would be worth £55,000, after 10 years £62,800 etc.
However, if I stick it in the bank/building society at 4% (and currently rates are higher) after 5 years it would be worth £58,500, and after 10 years £68,500. If rates stay at 5.5% AER as my bank is currently offering it (with instant access) it would be worth £62,000 in 5 years and £76,900 after 10 years.
- and that's not to mention a Northern Rock Silver Saver at 6.25% guaranteed for 2 years -

Now, can someone explain to me why the Pru thing is being sold to me as an attractive proposition??
Or have I missed lots of things?
PhilW
Investment/savings question - bathtub tom
Ask the seller what's their commission.
Investment/savings question - FotheringtonThomas
Now can someone explain to me why the Pru thing is being sold to me
as an attractive proposition??

Many such schemes are very, very, very attractive to those who receive a "cut". Other schemes, such as F&C's "Private Investor Plan" are not at all attractive to those who receive commission (although very attractive to me, as a current investor). Annual fee, 0. Dealing charge, 0.2%. Stamp duty (on purchase, unavoidable in any share dealing) 0.5%. I like it.
Investment/savings question - Falkirk Bairn
If you are approaching retirement the most important factor is safety as you will not earn pennies to replace the pounds if any are lost.

Longterm - 10- 25yrs the stockmarket has outperformed cash in the bank / building Society.

That said you can always get your money out of the bank (assuming not Noth Rock in the past) you cannot say the same for investments tied up for years.

I know of someone who has bought a new house and cannot sell their existing house (worth lots more than they paid). They cannot sell it just now because everyone is tightening up their money and not buying until they have sold their own house/flat.
Investment/savings question - legacylad
My unbiased advice (I am not, nor never have been, involved in financial services) would be to clear all your debts...pretty obvious really...then put the money safe.I sold all my equities some 18 months ago, apart from those which nosedived when I took my eye off the ball! Use your tax free allowance (£3600 this year in a mini cash Isa) and as FB says, the stockmarket is for the longterm, unless you enjoy dealing on a regular basis direct with a broker.
Currently the Manchester BS and Coventry BS are giving 6.41% and 6.45% gross, so slightly better than inflation. Try your luck with Premium Bonds. Most importantly, don't save it all for a rainy day.For several friends and family members, the rainy day turned out to be a lot worse than anticipated.

Investment/savings question - jbif
However, I'm due to retire in the non too distant future and have had some advice
Now, can someone explain to me why the Pru thing is being sold to me as an attractive proposition??
Or have I missed lots of things?

Yes, you have missed lots of things. Who has given you this advice? Is he/she a regulated authorised Financial Advisor?
To give a true and full answer to your question would take pages of questions and answers back and forth. At your stage in life (nearing retirement) it is particularly important to get your strategy right. So all I can suggest is
1. get some latest books (e.g. published by Which?) from the library to cure your "I'm a bit (!) ignorant of financial matters"; and
2. then you look at advice sites such as
www.moneysavingexpert.com/protect/best-financial-a...s and
forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=324...9 and the "motleyfool" crowd. www.fool.co.uk/

Edited by jbif on 03/04/2008 at 15:50

Investment/savings question - crunch_time
Never forget that the quoted figures are always GROSS and, unless you are a non-taxpayer, you will receive NET.

Investment/savings question - rtj70
As for not saving for a rainy day how do we know we will get to it? You need to also start enjoying some of this money unless you intend leaving most/all to the children.

A good friend who has had cancer return after 10 years in remission has now been told he has up to 12 months to live... He's 46.
Investment/savings question - buzbee
The biggest incentive for using an IFA is his commission!

Many years ago I was told not to look at the short term monetary gain in placing my money with the adviser, as such investments were always aimed at 5 year periods or more, not the short term. That looks a good story for explaining why I would be getting less than by leaving it in a building society.

So I placed some money, immediately losing the deducted commission of course, and then watched the rest make less money than it would in a building society. Clearly, I was going to be worse off.

After 12 months I wised up. Wrote the comission loss off to experience, cashed the rest in and put is elsewhere.

So don't be taken in by cover stories. If you can place it where it gets a reasonable return in a safe haven, without paying commission, do so. Dabble in shares if you must, but then only with a small fraction of what you have. Sure, shares can do better than in a building society. But they can also do worse.

Edited by buzbee on 03/04/2008 at 18:06

Investment/savings question - rtj70
", shares can do better than in a building society. But they can also do worse."

That American bank did well the other week when bought out ;-) Would have only lost 90+% of your investment.
Investment/savings question - jbif
That American bank did well the other week when bought out ;-) Would have only lost 90+% of your investment.

It is all about timing, my dear. If you bought on March 18 and sold on March 24, then you would have made 100% gain.

uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=BSC&t=3m

Investment/savings question - nick
IMHO, you don't have enough money to dabble in shares directly, only do that if you can afford to lose it. If it's effectively for your dotage, safety first.
Thank you all for your advice - I didn't quite expect such a good response, but yet again you have come up trumps! I hope your commission is not more than a virtual pint or two!
Without going into too much detail - yes he is "a regulated authorised Financial Advisor" In fact a representative of a firm recommended by the pensions agency of the profession from which I am retiring.
I have already consulted on a regular basis the websites mentioned above, so I am a little less ignorant than I used to be!
What struck my wife and I was that he had not only suggested long term investments for the money I mentioned but also for some of our savings currently held in BS accounts so that about 85% of our money was tied up long term (min 5 years, 10 or 20 years before it showed a reasonable return - unless the value went down!). ("If you can place it where it gets a reasonable return in a safe haven, without paying commission, do so. Dabble in shares if you must, but then only with a small fraction of what you have. Sure, shares can do better than in a building society. But they can also do worse." - buzbee)
What we wanted was to retain a fair bit as accessible money so that we could enjoy the early years of retirement (a few stays in some nice Logis in France with some decent food and wine! maybe even a "new" C5 car for her in a couple of years) which would also be earning interest. I'm not against the long term investments but at nearly 60 I'm not too interested since in the long term I will be dead. Also not too bothered about the kids - (You need to also start enjoying some of this money unless you intend leaving most/all to the children. - rtj) because they are pretty well set up with houses and good jobs. As for rainy days - if one occurred in the next year my "investment" of £50,000 would be worth £47,000 ish after commission and costs but if in BS might have earned £3,000 gross in accounts such as mentioned by Legacylad above.
Sorry for long post but thought that your considered and valuable responses deserved a good reply - if I have not quoted/responded directly please rest assured that wife and I have read carefully and considered carefully each point made - thanks very much again for your input
PhilW

Investment/savings question - FotheringtonThomas
>> That American bank ... Would have only lost 90+% of your investment.
It is all about timing my dear.

It's also about spreading the risk, for most people - which is why a generalist investment (e.g. in an Investment Trust) is a good thing.
Investment/savings question - JH
Phil,
don't forget National Savings, not sexy but tax free and RPI plus. Limit is pretty high, £20k per issue I think. So if there's a Mrs Phil that's £40k accounted for. 2 * £3,600 into cash ISAs as someone suggested and that's pretty much £50k invested with rock solid safety. If that's what you're looking for.
JH
Investment/savings question - Pugugly
To be honest I'd split it between two totally separate Financial Institutions, two ISAs (one for you and one for Mrs P) the balance in deposits. One of the institutions to be considered is Northern Rock probably one of the safest Banks at the moment.
Thanks JH and PU - points also noted - daft thing is that the policies recommended by the IFA seem to go against what SWMBO and I and all you lot seem to think - but then I guess he sees us as a way of earning his living - but then how do you get totally independent advice? Go to HJ website I guess! At this rate it won't be virtual pints - it will be real ones in the conveniently central East Midlands!
Thanks again
Phil