What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I Have a Question - Volume 227 - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 228 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 227. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found :-HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 24/03/2008 at 14:04

Disappearing Channel 5 - thanks to Vol 226 replies - Falkirk Bairn
Thank you to all the replies - the missin gchannels reappeared after re-scan by Panasonic box. The el cheapo Freeview box just needed plugging/unplugging - Sophisticated Panasonic box required re-scan on fairly well hidden menu.

For those who have more elderly relatives the rule is - Get them a cheap box.
Method of construction of gable ends - L'escargot
Continued from IHAQ 226.
Almost certainly bedded in mortar on top of the sloping courses with possibly a >>clout or large head nail driven into the brickwork joints. Then the weight of the tile >> and its bedding will/should hold it all in place. If it/they have moved significantly >>then surely the roof/tile edge has too!

Martin Devon, You've got me worried. The baffling thing is that the sheets of Asbestolux between the bricks and the mortar have moved inwards relative to the outer edge of the tiles/mortar and relative to the brickwork. The mortar is still firmly attached to the underside of the tiles. The distance from the edges of the tiles to the brickwork hasn't altered. It appears that the only movement has been to the sheets of Asbestolux. It's as if the nails you mentioned aren't there! And it's happened on all three gable ends to one degree or another. I still haven't had a chance to investigate at close quarters.

Method of construction of gable ends - Group B
As Martin said it is *possible* that a clout nail had beed used to secure the "undercloaking", but not guaranteed. AFAIK nail fixing of undercloaking is optional and not done in all circumstances.
If nails are not present (surely can't be or they must have all sheared off?!), the undercloaking is fixed only by mortar adhesion. Some of the manmade board materials have a smooth finish (compared with slate or clay tiles) so its entirely possible that the mortar bond has failed and allowed them to move.

Personally I would not be too worried about it. I suppose there is now a possibility of further movement (of the undercloaking) whenever we have high winds; and maybe a small chance that the deterioration of the mortar verge tile bedding will be accelerated (a long term thing).

I would rule out thermal movement of the roof because the tiles are presumably nailed to softwood battens, and thermal movement of timber is negligible parallel to the grain. Timber does shrink with change in moisture content, but the shrinkage is mostly perpendicular to the grain. I would not rule out roof vibration caused by the earthquake.
In the roof space, do you have steel straps tying the wall to the first couple of rafters?
Method of construction of gable ends - Martin Devon
I would not rule out roof vibration caused by the earthquake.
In the roof space do you have steel straps tying the wall to the first
couple of rafters?

It may be a good idea to post a pic' or two on here or to send them to me via the mods. They will give you my address, but what you describe seems very unusual for them all to move.

Best regards.....Martin D.
Method of construction of gable ends - Pugugly
Martin,

Do you want me to ping him your e-mail address ?

Rob
Method of construction of gable ends - Martin Devon
If you wish young man!

VBR.....MD
Method of construction of gable ends - L'escargot
I've had a look in the loft and the roof trusses are indeed solidly attached to the walls with steel bracing strips, so that aspect is OK. I've investigated from outside and found it's not possible to move the undercloaking in order to re-position it. A brickie acquaintance has recommended that I leave it alone as long as the mortar doesn't start to break up. To rectify the problem would require the removal of all the end tiles, the mortar, and the undercloaking and he reckons it wouldn't be worth it at this stage. He suspects that the undercloaking wasn't nailed to the walls, and accepts that the vibration of the earthquake could well have caused the movement. Apparently, in this country, the possible effects of earthquakes aren't thought about too much during house design/construction.

Thanks for your interest and comments. At least I've learned a thing or two about gable end construction.
Generation of CO2 by aircraft - Armitage Shanks {p}
Report in yesterday's DT says that British Airways operated 3 long-haul flights empty last week. I understand that this is something to do with a "Use them or Lose them" policy re slots at LHR. However, the figures quoted say that the burning of 140 tons of fuel, on a flight to Hong Kong, generated 329 tons of CO2. 2 other flights burned 200 tons of fuel and generated 486 tons of CO2.

Please can someone of a chemical background please explain to me how the burning of a weight of fuel can generate more than twice its weight of C02?
Generation of CO2 by aircraft - Number_Cruncher
Hint - only the C in CO2 comes from the fuel

Generation of CO2 by aircraft - RichardW
"Please can someone of a chemical background please explain to me how the burning of a weight of fuel can generate more than twice its weight of C02? "

Because the reaction is fuel + oxygen = CO2 + water. So for every molecule of carbon you add 2 molecules of oxygen.

There's something wrong with their maths though, since the ratio is not the same for the two flights! I'm not sure what the Carbon / hydrogen ratio is for jet fuel - depends on the average length of the chains (about C13 I think).
Generation of CO2 by aircraft - jbif
how the burning of a weight of fuel can generate more than twice its weight of C02?

If you start from the simple case of burning carbon (atomic wt. 14) the product of full combustion is CO2 - i.e. you ar adding two atoms of oxygen (atomic wt. 16). Hence the CO2 product in that case weighs 14+16+16= 46 units when you started with 14 units of Carbon.
In the case of aviation fuel (kerosene) you have more complex byproducts - see
www.nap.edu/html/greener_skies/index.html
www.nap.edu/html/greener_skies/ch3.html
www.nap.edu/html/greener_skies/ch3_t2.html

correction: change carbon atomic wt. = 12 in above equations.

Chemistry of hydrocarbons and combustion :

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrocarbon

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combustion

Generation of CO2 by aircraft - adverse camber
correction: change carbon atomic wt. = 12 in above equations.

Boring!

Radioactive CO2 would really make people sit up and take notice.
Boring! Radioactive CO2

I have dealt with Carbon14 quite a lot in my career, which explains the Freudian slip.
Generation of CO2 by aircraft - FotheringtonThomas
yesterday's DT says that British Airways operated 3 long-haul flights empty last week.

Again, from the DT, American Airlines "flew 5 passengers in a Boeing 777 from Chicago to London, using 22,000 gallons". Assume 22,000 Imp. gallons, for the sake of argument. That's about 100,000 litres. So, stick a *very little* duty on it - AFAIK there's no tax on air fuel now - say 10p/litre - that's £10,000. If it carries 300 people, that's around 30 quid on a ticket. If only 5 people are carried, that sum goes up a bit! Hmmm..... Perhaps some sliding cost adjustment on the basis of efficiency (passengers carried)...
Generation of CO2 by aircraft - henry k
BA is a Scheduled Airline as are many airlines !!

It is therefore operating to a time table in BOTH directions.
Not all flights are full both ways. If there are two light loads in one direction on flights that depart quite close in time, then it makes commercial sense to fly one "empty" and merge the passengers on to the other aircraft.

I am sure you would be impressed if an airline says " Sorry there was no incoming aircraft to take you home" cos we did not have any passengers for it.

I have flown on Concorde with just FIVE other pasengers as it was a SCHEDULED flight.

On my last trip back fron AUS, the flight I was waiting for at Singapore ( from Sydney) went technical. When we boarded we were the only people in the whole cabin. The flight had to get back to LHR to get back on schedule.

The press need to fill pages so the truth is not always the prime consideration in this "GREEN" era.
The press need to fill pages so the truth is not always the prime consideration
in this "GREEN" era.

What! So here are no [almost] empty flights these days?
Generation of CO2 by aircraft - Chas{P}
Again from the DT American Airlines "flew 5 passengers in a Boeing 777 from >>Chicago to London using 22 000 gallons". Assume 22 000 Imp. gallons for the sake of
argument. That's about 100 000 litres. So stick a *very little* duty on it -
AFAIK there's no tax on air fuel now - say 10p/litre - that's £10 000.

Correction to your figures: Jet A1 fuel is actually around 50p a litre in the UK x 99,880litres = £49,940 fuel cost.

Correction to your figures: Jet A1 fuel is actually around 50p a litre in the
UK x 99 880litres = £49 940 fuel cost.

I was talking about a possible levy (of duty), not the base cost.
Electrical sockets, 3 plugs from 2 gang backbox? - Petel
Evening all.
I seem to remember ( but now cannot find ) a switch box, which replaced a normal two gang 13amp switch face and allowed three plugs to be used. This screwed on to the normal ( sunken ) double switch backbox in place of the double switch face and had three sockets. I cannot recall if the three sockets were switched or not.

Can anyone remember these and if so, can anyone point me in the direction of such an item?
Thank you.
Electrical sockets, 3 plugs from 2 gang backbox? - FotheringtonThomas
It's a converter. Quite popular. Available switched, and I think in quadruples, too. Any DIY outlet, or the 'net. .
Electrical sockets, 3 plugs from 2 gang backbox? - Mapmaker
Screwfix do a selection.

tinyurl.com/27yujk

Edited by Mapmaker on 18/03/2008 at 16:47

Electrical sockets, 3 plugs from 2 gang backbox? - Petel
Grateful thanks to Fothering Thomas and Mapmaker. I did a search and it did not bring these up, perhaps I was using the wrong parameters. Now that my memory has been jogged, I even recall the makers name.
Many thanks again.
Regards.
Panasonic DVD Recorder Time Shift/Pause Live TV - drbe
Does anyone know if Panasonic make a DVD recorder or PVR with time shift and/or Pause live TV?

I have searched the Panasonic web site without success.
Panasonic DVD Recorder Time Shift/Pause Live TV - Stuartli
See:

www.panasonic.co.uk/technology/dvd-explained.html

However, although I'm a great admirer of Panasonic video products, the Humax PVR 9200T will do all that you require and more, as well as being a superb piece of kit (the T is for twin tuner); it's also not as costly.

Like its Freeview set top box, the F2 FOX-T, which is still one of the best around four years after its launch, the 9200T is regarded as one of the benchmarks.

See:

www.humaxdigital.co.uk/global/products/pvr-9200t.a...p

Review:

tinyurl.com/3cwqw6

Edited by Stuartli on 19/03/2008 at 13:36

Panasonic DVD Recorder Time Shift/Pause Live TV - JH
I've just dumped a Panasonic hard disk recorder (why would anyone want a DVD recorder?) in favour of a Humax. I got fed up of the Panny being temperamental, not responding to the remote and not recording on (frequent) occasions. The Humax is better in every respect. £165 at Hughes Direct.

JH
Panasonic DVD Recorder Time Shift/Pause Live TV - FotheringtonThomas
why would anyone want a DVD recorder?

Backups.
Backups.
Backups.
Playing DVDs on.
Archiving.
Sending things to people.
Backups.

I've a PVR & a VCR, too. Good set-up for most eventualities.

Edited by FotheringtonThomas on 19/03/2008 at 19:59

Panasonic DVD Recorder Time Shift/Pause Live TV - Stuartli
Just had the regular Maplins e-mail newsletter with this offer at £99.99, down from £149.99 for a period (similar to Humax):

tinyurl.com/2ppqej
Will an USA bought iTouch work in the UK ? - Pugugly
Friend going to the US asked me if I wanted anything. Seeing as iTouch is near enough half the UK price I'm going to take the plunge.

Will it be totally compatible with UK standards ?
Will an USA bought iTouch work in the UK ? - BazzaBear {P}
There's no reason why it wouldn't. You don't even have to worry about the charger cord having the wrong plug on the end of it, as I'm pretty sure they only supply a USB one.
You don't fancy getting him to pick up two Creative Zens for me while he's at it, do you? ;)

(Actually, I know you didn't ask for this advice, but you might want to consider the Creative Zen - cheaper, smaller, lighter, longer life on a single charge, better sound quality)
Thanks - the only problem I have is I've downloaded stacks from iTunes...
Will an USA bought iTouch work in the UK ? - Baskerville
The Touch is an entirely different beast from the Creative range anyway. The 'Touch' part alone is worth the price of admission, to say nothing of the proper web browser and the excellent email client. The Touch (alongside the iPhone) is game changing. They are proper computers in your hand and will keep improving. I've had one a month and it is superb. What has surprised me is how much I use it for web browsing and reading news feeds even when I have a choice of full-size computers in the same room.
Can I copy my existing (itunes downloaded) playlist across to it ??

I just plugged mine in and that was that. I haven't plugged the old one in since, but I don't see why it would be a problem. Anyway, this is encouraging and helpful:

docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300432
Thanks - I'll have to wait a month (until my colleague comes back) can't wait.
Baskerville,

How easy is it to link up to wireless websites ? I have a home network that was a piece of cake to set up and my Vista laptop is effortless in this respect ? Is it as easy to link it to Wi-Fi hotspots and the such like ?? I intend to travel a lot next year and was thinking of one of these
to access e-mails on the fly. I use a corporate Blackberry now which is absolutely superb in this respect. If the iTouch handles e-mails as well (albeit having to find hotspots) it could be useful.
You simply select the network you want from the list of available networks and enter the password if it needs one. It remembers the passwords so you don't have to do it again and allows automatic connection if you accept the risks in that. It really couldn't be easier allowing for the need to find a hotspot--it's amazing how many there are--and the range is surprisingly good, given the size of the antenna. I find the email client is very good, as is the calendaring. I use IMAP email servers so that all my various email clients are synchronised.
sone ericsson w810 question - borasport20
(How) Can I copy a text from my phone to my PC ? - I have Sony ericcson pc suite, but it doesn't semm to have that functionality
sone ericsson w810 question - SpamCan61 {P}
I've just had a poke round the SE knowledge base on their site and it states that you can't do that with W800 series phones. Sounds a bit odd for a high end phone, I'll see what else is out there. May be worth trying third party phone management software, a quick Google found this thread which looks relevant:-

www.esato.com/board/viewtopic.php?topic=105374
sone ericsson w810 question - PoloGirl
Could you forward the text as an MMS to your email address?

Day trips to Morocco from Spain - Soupytwist
My family is going to the Costa de la Luz in southern Spain for 10 days commencing 3rd April. We're thinking about taking a day trip over to Tangier from Tarifa. Has anyone done this before - any tips or information please?
There's 4 of us, me, my wife, 5 year old son and 3 year old daughter.

Thanks
Day trips to Morocco from Spain - helicopter
I have not actually done the trip by ferry but I have sailed that coastline from Gibraltar many times.

Tarifa to Tangier by the Jetfoil is only about 35 minutes and the fare is around Euros 30.
You will need to check whether you need a visa.

Its a VERY windy coast - I do not know whether its a trip thats really suitable for young kids.Seasickness is a strong possibility

Costa de la Luz is notably quieter than the Costa del Sol . I would say you would be better off taking the drive from Tarifa to Gib and go up the Rock, show the kids the Apes .Its spectacular up the top with great viewpoints over the African coast.

Tarifa is noted for strong winds as it the Atlantic coast and is the HQ of windsurfers . If you go on the beach take a windbreak - you will be sandblasted so hard it hurts - I do not jest.

Also if you hire a car and head up the coast to places like Barbati and Zahara de los Atunas and investigate the little beach and harbourside seafood restaurants - I specially recommend the Tuna steaks and Calamari or if you like spicy food try the prawns pil pil with plenty of bread to dip in the garlicky chili olive oil sauce .

Try and get up to Jerez and visit the bodegas - sherry is a very underrated drink. Also worth a visit is the Spanish riding school.

Day trips to Morocco from Spain - deepwith
Don't know about the trip across to Morocco, but do have time in Tarifa. It really is a lovely place with lots of little shops and little parks with strong Moorish influence. We saw lots of surfers in the town but none on the beach. We must have caught a calm time, as we had sunsoaked time wandering into the sea for a gentle swim and lying on the nearly deserted beach.
We were staying up in the hills and can recommend a trip or two up there - spectacular views.
Day trips to Morocco from Spain - Falkirk Bairn
Make sure your JABS are up to date and watch out for hygiene issues - especially the kids.

It may be 12-15 miles but it is going from South Europe to North Africa & 3rd world type conditions - Polio/typhoid/cholera + many more are possible.
Differences between Fridge and Freezer ? - Petel
Good Evening All.
Could anyone please advise as to the following?

In a shop today, side by side, two externally identical units by the same manufacturer, one a fridge with a small ice box at the top right hand corner, the other a three and a half draw freezer.

Leaving aside the small ice box, would these units have a near identical cooling system or are the differences between fridge and freezer operatiing systems radically different?
Thank you.
Differences between Fridge and Freezer ? - crunch_time
Almost certainly, the difference will be between the respective thermostats fitted.

Differences between Fridge and Freezer ? - L'escargot
Almost certainly the difference will be between the respective thermostats fitted.

My guess is that apart from the different thermostat the freezer will have a more powerful refrigerating unit. It may also have better insulation.
What now for Toshiba Ltd? - Billy Whizz
Greetings and Happy Easter.
A good friend, who is a hopelessly non-technical, marketing bod, has been tasked with writing 220 words about how Toshiba can rescue its brand. This is what he sent me:

"Would you know anyone who can contribute a 220 word comment on how Toshiba can rescue its brand following the DVD war loss against Sony and the subsequent closure of its HD-DVD unit.
Toshiba has suffered some massive losses (US$666 million) from discontinuing its HD-DVD line, the question now is:
Where did it go wrong?
How can it survive this?
How can it improve now?
What should the brand be doing to woo back consumer confidence?
What should Toshiba be concentrating on in the coming months?"

I am a bit out of the loop at the moment on technical non-car stuff so I thought maybe the backroom collective with their astonishing scope might have a few thoughts to get him started. Any ideas?
What now for Toshiba Ltd? - Baskerville
This is a bit of a cheek, isn't it?

I know a heart surgeon who's having a bit of trouble with a left aorta. Anyone on here know how to fix it?

Tell him to do his own research and figure it out. If he can't be bothered I'll do it for my usual copywriting fee.
Baskerville, sorry to have ruffled your feathers. I should have given some more background. The challenge is being done in a light-hearted manner. He is doing his own work but I bet him I could get a better piece using my secret weapon - the Backroom!
What now for Toshiba Ltd? - Martin Devon
The challenge is being done in a light-hearted manner. He is doing his own work but
I bet him I could get a better piece using my secret weapon - the
Backroom!

Or is it Dads Army.....................DON'T PANIC!
What now for Toshiba Ltd? - Baskerville
Ah, that's different.

My 2c: In the medium term Blue-Ray is doomed as well and the whole market is on a wing and a prayer. I for one will not be buying another disk player for the living room. We'll be downloading/streaming movies as a matter of course inside of five years. Toshiba have done the right thing to pull out now before the losses took down the business.
What now for Toshiba Ltd? - Stuartli
Tell yur friend that Toshiba is too big a brand to fall by the wayside through what will most likely prove to have been a modest blip in its fortunes.
What now for Toshiba Ltd? - jbif
Toshiba has suffered some massive losses (US$666 million) from discontinuing its HD-DVD line

For a start, it looks like some artificial currency conversion from some misleading headline somewhere.

The report I saw said "Toshiba confirms $1bn lost ditching HD DVD - Toshiba has knocked Yen100bn ($1bn/£498m/Euro639m) off its full-year pre-tax earnings ... "

What now for Toshiba Ltd? - henry k
>>The report I saw said ..
>>
matches what I see..
"A report from the Nikkei business daily suggesting bleak losses to be posted has seen the consumer electronics giant's share drop 2.3%.
The report states that Toshiba is likely to book a 100 billion yen ($986/£485 million) loss in its high-definition player business and post a full-year operating profit of around 250 billion yen, falling short of its outlook.
Toshiba has predicted a 50 billion yen loss on HD DVD for the financial year, but its decision to stop manufacture of HD DVD means production line changes that will double the cost.

"We did not announce this, and therefore we cannot comment", a Toshiba spokesperson said."
What now for Toshiba Ltd? - Pugugly
Seems like they have a habit of backing losers - My first home computer was a Toshiba MSX machine, excellent bit of quality built kit though....
Seems like they have a habit of backing losers >>

That's stretching it a bit, to put it mildly...:-)

The MSX models were produced by a number of Japanese and European manufacturers, including Philips, working to a standard laid down by Microsoft and launched in 1983.

Around five million of the MSX systems were sold - not bad considering how long ago since they were around and the fact that they were mainly ignored in the States.

By the way, the two 21in Nicam Toshiba UK manufactured televisions I bought, in 1990 and 1996, are still in regular use and have been ultra reliable.

Edited by Stuartli on 21/03/2008 at 18:23

"MSX" I know the background without resorting to Wikipedia ! It was a cracking bit of kit, the Toshiba version was better built than a lot of the crap around these days. It was the computer world's Betamax. It was still a commercial faliure though. Not through Toshiba's fault, there were other factors at play.

I have a two Toshiba TVs (one is an elderly CRT) they are both quality items.
Tosh laptop superb. MD
Yep - I had an early Satellite - nice bit of kit that as well.
What now for Toshiba Ltd? - Alby Back
Had a Satellite "pro" oneself actually ( sniffs haughtily ) ;-)
Oh er ! Not sure whether mine was a Pro though
Mine is so there.
Actually the Toshiba Satellite (ahem... Pro ) was the first ever computer I had at home without the benefit of a younger, smarter, work colleague to troubleshoot my ineptitudes. I came by it courtesy of a German supplier of mine who decided to gift it to me as my then almost total technophobia seemed to offend him and I think he felt some duty to drag me screaming into the late 20th century. It was a bit like giving a 911 to someone who has just passed their driving test. Clueless doesn't really cover it. It took me two years to get it to operate in English. Until then the spell check often produced hilarious results. Fortunately I speak German so it wasn't too bad. It finally died when I assumed, wrongly, that it would survive the rigours of being in my suitcase as hold baggage. Until then it was sehr gut indeed.
What now for Toshiba Ltd? - Lud
My wife just got a discounted big last-year's-model Toshiba laptop from, er, a well-known seller of such things in Manchester and New Oxford Street among other places.

It works very well and is obviously well made. The keyboard has a good everlasting feel to it. But the loudspeakers won't utter a sound, although according to the graphic equaliser readout thingy the built-in mikes can hear one muttering curses. My wife doesn't care about that, but she often wants to speak to our daughter in the Antipodes on Skype, which she has to do in my truly horrendous tip of an office.

It searches hungrily for wireless networks when you turn it on. But we thought the best thing here was to wire it up to the cable modem through an ethernet connection. That meant I had to change my computer to ethernet instead of USB, and get a cable router, and in front of all the neighbours and bus passengers, blush, oo you lookin at squire, hang a wire out of the sitting room window where she works and in through the office window where I sit cursing and having crazed fantasies.

Ever since, although the connection works most of the time, my computer and hers keep telling us that a network cable is unplugged, and mine sometimes has to be tickled, renew IP address and all that malarkey. Frightfully good at maths but damn stupid things, computers.
What now for Toshiba Ltd? - doug_r1
I run all my pcs through an old Technics AA class amplifier and through some Tannoy speakers, it's fabulous for Doom/Duke Nukem/Serious Sam, and quite good for music. Try some headphones or external speakers if this sounds overkill, there should be a output socket on the laptop.
Re Skype sound setup - it's somewhat different to what seems the logical route. See:

www.skype.com/help/guides/soundsetup.html

Your wireless problem could be due to the fact that the switch on the laptop to turn wireless on and off is still set at Off - the manual will provide a clue, although it's usually on the front edge of the Toshibas I've come across.
Gift eh! Hope you declared it?

OK OK I am running>>>>>>>>>sorry!
I'm sure I must have done. Can't remember exactly ;-)
Thanks for all the comments guys! :-) particularly the ones in the afternoon!

Re: TVs - did something happen to Toshiba European TV manufacturing in late 90s? My 2000 big 4:3 has broken down several times and there's a floating, shoe-sized blue tinted patch on my Dad's 2004 widescreen. Annoying when watching the rugger. Not a patch on the Sony I had. Dad still has his 1987 Trinitron in the spare room.

Frightening to hear of a laptop busted in hold luggage - on the other hand I have seen luggage dropped from cargo door to tarmac so not surprising really :-(
What now for Toshiba Ltd? - Another John H
there's a floating shoe-sized blue tinted
patch on my Dad's 2004 widescreen. Annoying when watching the rugger.

Probably a magnetised "shadow mask/grille". Can be fixed with a suitable hand held "de-gaussing" coil - the field from a solder gun (Weller style) is nearly as good: wave it about gently very close to the affected area and gradually increase the distance from the screen to several feet before switching the coil off.
Frightening to hear of a laptop busted in hold luggage - on the other hand
I have seen luggage dropped from cargo door to tarmac so not surprising really :-(

Laptops are relatively flimsy these days, but it's amazing how robust TFT screens are when in a substantial casting: we had a 21" one knocked off a wall mounting and it fell about 7 feet onto a hard floor. The case is in pieces, but it still works...
>>"MSX" I know the background without resorting to Wikipedia !>>

I always check facts first - that was the first link I came across...:-)

Actually I remember the MSX models very well - I was going to buy the Mitsubishi version when they first came out, until the youngest offspring firmly put me off the idea.

Turned out he was right.
Sorry that sounded a bit offish, wasn't meant to :)
What now for Toshiba Ltd? - David Horn
He could argue that they didn't pay a big enough (*cough* $500,000,000 *cough*) bribe to Warner Brothers, and, like Betamax, the better format lost. Yes, I have an HD-DVD player. Yes, it's built into a Toshiba laptop. Yes, I'm bitter.
Algarve In May - wotspur
As part of a work reward, I have won a 3 day trip to the Algarve in mid May, staying at Dona Filipa Hotel in Vale Do Lobo -now Ive never been to the Algarve before but Im sure many of you BR'S have.
Whilst others are playing golf -what would you recommend I do/see -will it be warm ?? Thanks in advance
Algarve In May - Martin Devon
Whilst others are playing golf -what would you recommend I do/see -will it be warm
?? Thanks in advance

I maybe not the best judge as I tend to go on hols to keep the peace, but the Algarve strikes me as a very windy non-descript place. I am unsure of the exact location of your stay. We did though have a wonderful boat trip up the Guadiana?? river, apologies if that is wrong. The river is on the border of Portugal and Spain and this was a very very enjoyable day. I am led to believe by people far more versed than me that inland is genuinely a sight to behold.

I have been sacked from my job at tumsom 'olidays due to being frank!

VBR...................MD
Algarve In May - bathtub tom
Wonderful, cheap food. Very friendly people. Stunning beaches. I got bored and hired a car, but found nothing much to see.
Take some good books!
Sealing a crack in a fibreglass bath - L'escargot
Our fibreglass bath has developed a 40 mm long crack in the bottom, and it leaks ~ it's obviously not a very thick bath. Is there any way of sealing it on the upper surface? I've done tests with Permabond epoxy resin on various plastic surfaces but it can be peeled off quite easily. Will an epoxy resin stick to a fibreglass bath? Alternatively, any other ideas?
Sealing a crack in a fibreglass bath - Stuartli
Have you thought of trying the silicone sealant used in showers and similar areas, either on top of or/and underneath the crack?

It's an idea that worked for plastic guttering damaged by the window cleaner with his ladder a while back.

Edited by Stuartli on 23/03/2008 at 13:41

Sealing a crack in a fibreglass bath - eProf
Crack in your bath? Gaffer tape it!

It does work as the adhesive is tough and the tape is flexible. Even works on the inside if you can't get underneath! Just make sure the bath is dry before you get taping!
Sealing a crack in a fibreglass bath - Phil I

Method 1.

Araldite pressed into the crack - scraped out and re-apply under presssure - leave to cure.

Method 2. (recommended)
Tear old plastic bath out replace with Steel.

Have you actually moved from your old house Mr. Snail?

Happy Motoring Phil I

Sealing a crack in a fibreglass bath - Clk Sec
I doubt that you will find a lasting remedy. Replacing the bath is likely to be your best option.

Clk Sec
Sealing a crack in a fibreglass bath - nick
The bath will flex quite a bit with the weight of the water and the occupant so I doubt any sealant will give a permanent fix. I'd replace it, preferably with a steel one. They're cheap enough just a hassle to do.
Sealing a crack in a fibreglass bath - ifithelps
TI'd replace it preferably
with a steel one. They're cheap enough just a hassle to do.

>>

Wouldn't a steel bath be cold - apart from the bit with hot water in it, obviously.
Sealing a crack in a fibreglass bath - Clk Sec
Perhaps bathtub tom could advise...

Clk Sec
We've never regretted replacing our original 6ft Victorian cast iron bath with one in the same material - it had to be changed due to damage to the surface of the bath and the estimated cost was put towards its near four-figure replacement.

Even so we got a good price for the old bath.

I've never found it seemed cold to the touch, but then I much prefer to use the shower.

Sealing a crack in a fibreglass bath - FotheringtonThomas
We've never regretted replacing our original 6ft Victorian cast iron bath with one in the
same material

Apparently it is possible to re-surface these things, but it costs quite a lot - ISTR it's done in Poland!
>>Apparently it is possible to re-surface these things, but it costs quite a lot - ISTR it's done in Poland!>>

That's why, as I pointed out, we put the estimated cost towards a new cast iron bath, along with the money received for the outgoing one.

The then new bathroom was created in the late 1980s, when there wasn't quite as much demand for such Victorian items as today.

Edited by Stuartli on 23/03/2008 at 19:29

Sealing a crack in a fibreglass bath - FotheringtonThomas
Lay up underneath with resin/matting. Rake out from the top and fill with clear polyester resin.

Probably only worthwhile if it's decorated, or you're skinned out - else buy a new bath!
Deep cleaning a CD Player. - Pugugly
The unit is a 15 year Sony CD/Radio/tape player. Still a cracking bit of kit with a superb radio on it (who needs DAB !). The CD player has taken to missing a beat (sound drops out altogether). I've tried to clean it with a lens cleaning disc and its better but still not quite right. Any suggestions.....?

Edited by Pugugly on 23/03/2008 at 16:45

Deep cleaning a CD Player. - bintang
I believe you can buy a cleaning disk
Deep cleaning a CD Player. - Stuartli
Pugugly did state he'd tried one...:-)

Deep cleaning a CD Player. - Billy Whizz
Is it for a car or is it a domestic item?

Edited by Billy Whizz on 23/03/2008 at 19:48

Its a much loved domestic one
what are the symptoms exactly? Does a cd track properly? i.e. does it skip or hang? What I am getting at is: is it a mechanical or electrical fault? Is it cd player part or amplifier part? Is the radio/ cassette bit without probs?
Total silence for a second or so and then carries on, so you don't actually hear the bit that's missed.The song carries on as missing perhaps three or four words.
so it is not skipping just silent as the cd plays. If you were singing along (e.g. Jailhouse Rock) the cd would go quiet, leaving you on your own and then come on again to join you correctly. How many times per hour playing does this happen? Does it happen on all cds? Does it happen randomly or just towards the end of the cd?
Exactly ! irregular, less now than after the cleaning disc was put in.
Deep cleaning a CD Player. - Stuartli
It just might be that the drive belt has stretched or is on its last legs in view of its history.

CD players revolve at up to quite high speeds depending on just where the laser is reading the disk (works from the inside out).
Thanks :-( A credit to Sony though. Guess it'll be relegated to Garage duties.
Deep cleaning a CD Player. - bintang
Pugugly did state he'd tried one...:-)

My apologies
Set Top Boxes - bintang
Digital TV is not officially available in my area yet but some people seem to get Freeview. I am inclined to risk a cheap box from eBay but will a digital box work with my analogue TV?
Set Top Boxes - henry k
.....get Freeview.
I am inclined to risk a cheap box from eBay

>>
Last year I paid £10 in Tesco for a box.
They have boxes @ £17 and £20 online and maybe you can get one locally.
As you are in a "fringe area" you may need to ensure you have a good ariel.
There is an obvious risk that a cheap box will not deal well with a weak signal.
Your local Tesco will refund but will Ebay?
Argos sell them for £17
>>
but will a digital box work with my analogue TV?

>>
Does your TV have a Scart socket?

My little Sony is 20+ years old but I paid extra for a Scart socket model and it works well in our high signal strenth area.
Set Top Boxes - Happy Blue!
We bought a Logik(?) as recommended by Which?. It replaced a Philips unit that was rubbish. The Logk is very good and works with any analogue TV and comes with a variety of leads for all types of sockets at the back of the TV. It was more expensive that others but is worth the money.
Set Top Boxes - bintang
but will a digital box work with my analogue TV?
Does your TV have a Scart socket?

Yes, currently occupied but I have a 3-way adapter.
Set Top Boxes - Stuartli
>> but will a digital box work with my analogue TV?>>]

A set top box converts the digital transmissions to analogue - otherwise you wouldn't be able to watch them on an analogue TV.

It's also the reason why, if you watch the same programme using an analogue channel and a Freeview channel and switch between them, the latter is slightly behind the analogue version.
Set Top Boxes - Hairy Hat Man
Pick one up from the High Street - explain the situation and if you can't get a signal, they'll likely take it back.

I recently got freeview working in a non freeview area. Initially the signal was poor and kept loosing the picture. I got a local aerial company round to quote for a digi ariel, but they said it'd not make any difference (thought they'd have to be right or they've just done themselves out of a nice little earner). In my frustration I thought I'd try one of those signal boosters and it now works a treat!

Edited by Pugugly on 23/03/2008 at 19:02

Set Top Boxes - FotheringtonThomas
Borrow a box from someone, and plug it in - see what happens!

You may well need a new aerial - available from "electronic component suppliers" at about £40. This might even work in your loft, saving the necessity for having a dirty great death-ray looking thing waggling about on your chimney stack (the wind tends to do nasty things to them). DIY fitting is easy - point it towards "your" transmitter, and up a bit (5-10 deg).

If it does work, get a twin-tuner PVR (these are available at about £100 new) instead of a "set-top box".
Set Top Boxes - Stuartli
There are set top boxes - and then there are set top boxes (plus a decent signal).

If you know anyone with a Humax F2 FOX-T and who will allow you to temporarily borrow it, then a realistic guidance as to whether you can pick up Freeview transmissions will be to hand.

I run two main televisions (one of which has an ITVDigital set top box) plus my computer's PCI Freeview TV card from one chimney mounted wideband TV aerial - I use two aerial amplifiers to deliver the signals to the sets and TV card.