What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I Have a Question - Volume 221 - Pugugly {P}

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 222 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 221. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found :-HERE

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/02/2008 at 00:22

Smilight tubes confusion - maz64
One of the small under-cupboard tubes in our kitchen has blown. The fitting is marked as 266/K23. However, there is another fitting which looks the same, and it and its tube is marked 266/K12. But the K12 tube fits into and works fine in the K23 fitting.

A picture on a website selling these shows a tube marked 266/K30. Will that work in our 266/K23 fitting? (The length and wattage are ok.)
Digital camera advice - BobbyG
I am looking for advice on buying a digital camera for work. I previously asked shortly before xmas but needs have slightly changed.

Camera will predominantly be used for taking photos for ebay and so macro is important. For posting on ebay I usually have to reduce the size, either on camera or through the computer so not sure if this influences choice?

Will also be using it occasionally for taking normal pictures in shops etc but will certainly be taking more pictures for ebay than anything else.

Some of the stuff I sell on ebay needs close up pics of hallmarks, engravings etc.

Any ideas or what criteria I should look for? ideally would like to bring it in at under £100?

Thanks,
Digital camera advice - Stuartli
Canon makes some of the best digital cameras around - here's a website that shows macro shots using some of its latest models:

www.cameras.co.uk/html/sample-images-4.cfm

Reducing photo file sizes is straightforward if you use Windows; just right click on a photo file(s) you wish to send to e-Bay and you can choose the level of reduction.

I would suggest the A570 IS for all round usefulness; the IS represents Image Stabilisation, which will make it easier to shoot close-ups, or you can buy a small tripod for under a tenner at, for example, www.7dayshop.com

In fact I got an 7DayShop branded tripod from this outlet for just £2.50 - its quality and finish is quite outstanding.

The A570IS also features a proper viewfinder as well as the viewing screen.

Googling for an A570IS will bring up the lowest prices available, although there are not many around now because of the remarkable value for money.

Edited by Stuartli on 03/02/2008 at 23:31

Digital camera advice - rtj70
If you need a camera for good close-ups and use for ebay (so reduced resolution) forget mega pixels (as we all should). You need good macro facilities and a good lense.

I said this before but checkout www.dpreview.com.* You can enter your criteria and it can suggest a model/make.

* Amazon was so impressed they bought the company ;-) And still they plug other websites like Calumet ;-)

Edited by rtj70 on 03/02/2008 at 23:34

Digital camera advice - henry k
I have just bought a replacement Fuji F450 via ebay from USA for $100
I had to smile as it came with a free " lead lined " camera bag to protect film from airport scanners. :-))))

It was a replacement for my previous one ( Just the flash failed and £100 repair bill was not acceptable).
I was and am very pleased with it's macro performance. It had a good write up but I guess it is now no longer "cool". It is quite small but does have a a viewfinder.
I like it else I would not have two of them.
Here's a photo of the Canon A570IS:

tinyurl.com/2vk5vz

Not all that long ago it was £180+..:-)

Many of the Canon models share the same solid body - the differences are in the features, megapixels and optical zoom coverage provided.
BobbyG not sure where you are in the country but have an "old" Canon compact (A95) and a DSLR. If you were on the way to/from somewhere on business you could compare. Okay a DSLR is big and images are high mega pixels but the benefits of SLR come into play - e.g. good lenses.

I do get down to Slough or thereabouts every now and then. And therefore places on route.
Cheers for advice so far. I must admit I am a fan of Canon myself. My own camera is a Canon SD600 which I believe is the exact same as an IXUS model, I think the IXUS 60. Very easy to use etc but cost me about £175 if memory serves me right.

I have been using this for taking the photos but want to get a work camera specifically for this use rather than trailing mine in all the time. I have been happy with the macro on the Canon although I wasn't sure if I should expect better performance? I find it very easy to use, press one button and you have macro, press another to switch flash on/off without having to go through screeds of menus.

My camera prior to this was also a Canon, a Powershot something or other from a few years ago!

I will have a look at the recommendations so far, maybe even compare the specs to my current Canon, maybe I would be as well trying to get another the same as mine if I know it already!

rtj, thanks for your kind offer but I am in Glasgow, slightly more Northern than Slough :)
Digital camera advice - cheddar
I concur re the A570IS quality and features though they have had problems with the battery level indicator system, afflicted cameras are being replaced. That being said it is brill for the money.

If budget is an issue the similar A550 and A560 are under £100 in some places.

Digital camera advice - FotheringtonThomas
Still some of these available at £109.99:

tinyurl.com/2yhlln

An bargain, good optics, macro down to 20mm (2 cm, 0.02m), can take small pictures (640x480) if you want, feature rich, very good guarantee which is honoured if you need it.
FT, which model Traveller is that as I saw one still available in my local Aldi at the weekend, think it was the 10mp one but not sure?

I had bought a Traveller before xmas but found that when I took photos then they had lines all the way through them, esp under office lighting. I took it back to aldi and got a refund.
Maybe that was just that particular camera and not a feature of them all?
BobbyG

A good quality optical lens is equal or more important than sheer number of MPs.

My six-year-old 2MP Minolta E203 takes stunningly detailed shots that comfortably enlarge to A4 (or more) if required - a shot of my other half's front door hanging basket last year, for example, is quite remarkable as an A4 print.

Re the Canons. My youngest offspring has the 6x zoom A710IS, now replaced by the A720IS; the image stabilisation feature is especially useful at full zoom.

The best mate bought the A570IS two or three months ago (just missing out on the Canon cash back offer). He paid £104 plus delivery. Equal to the A710 in most respects except it's a 4x zoom.

Both cameras deliver first class images and accurate colour.

Edited by Stuartli on 04/02/2008 at 14:16

A good quality optical lens is equal or more important than sheer number of MPs.

That could be true. Fortunately with my "unbranded" camera, both the optics and the MP are fine! I seem to remember posting a picture or two taken with the thing in the pre-Christmas thread. Do you remember seeing it/them?
"Fortunately with my "unbranded" camera, both the optics and the MP are fine!"

Until you need to take pictures at higher ISO levels and get lots of noise. Cannot comment on your camera but even branded cameras with high MP the sensor is tiny. And then the noise reduction algorithms make a mess of images in low(er) light conditions. Most will be fine in good lighting.
Cannot comment on your camera

Quite.

(edit)

Sorry, that was perhaps terse. If you've something that could be done, so as to enable an impartial comparison of a no-name camera with another, then I'm all ears.

Edited by FotheringtonThomas on 04/02/2008 at 23:35

so FT your Aldi camera can take images with no noise artifacts in very low light needing maybe ISO 800+ without bluring hand held? And likewise at the edge of pictures in bright light has no purple fringing?

Interested to know. Your camera is okay for you and probably for op but not for me. But I do have a dslr now :-)
so FT your Aldi camera can take images with no noise artifacts in very low
light needing maybe ISO 800+ without bluring hand held? And likewise at the edge of
pictures in bright light has no purple fringing?

I have no idea. Give me a scenario, and I will try to take a picture, and post the result. You can then come to a reasonable conclusion. Regard my camera as "a camera", rather than "an Aldi camera", which it is not (unless "badge engineering" is valid), and be impartial.

Your camera is okay for you and probably for op but not
for me. But I do have a dslr now :-)

That is not, of course, a valid comparison (DSLR v. P&S, various), especially considering the OP's requirements.
try going to say a church with low light. Take a picture of a fresco without flash handheld without a tripod.

With a good camera (not dslr) with high ISO it's possible. Image stabilization helps but with high mp you can get lots of noise. Or lower ISO means blur.

With my older Canon in St Peter's the Piata was blurred. Camcorder was okay as a camera. Same position and excellent photos with fine detail with a dslr.

try going to say a church with low light. Take a picture of a fresco
without flash handheld without a tripod.

Can you give me a precise spec.? I will have a go - this is of interest. Perhaps others with different cameras will join in, if there's something reasonably standard (even an artificial standard) that we can all photograph!
With a good camera (not dslr) with high ISO it's possible. Image stabilization helps but
with high mp you can get lots of noise. Or lower ISO means blur.

I don't know. My current camera has an anti-shake setting that reduces the effective pixels to 5M, which is supposed to help in low-light conditions. I need to get to grips with exposure/backlight compensation for conditions where the lighting is sub-optinal, I suppose.
FT which model Traveller

That link points to the 10.1MP one. There's a 7.1 (I think) one too in my local. No idea what that's like, or what it does, but it's physically small, 3x optical zoom, £79.99.

I had bought a Traveller before xmas but found that when I took photos then
they had lines all the way through them esp under office lighting.

That seems to be a problem with digital cameras in general, AFAIK. Mine does it if you've a subject standing in front of the sun, bright indoor lights, etc), a friend's Sony & Canon do, and my old Panasonic NV-M7 camera does it too!

Perhaps someone else with a digital camera would comment on this behaviour?
Digital camera advice - PoloGirl
There is absolutely no way you need a 7+ MP camera for taking pictures to go on ebay. My old Nikon Coolpix would have done the job superbly and that was only 3MP. I've never seen the lines referred to above, so I'm not sure what to do about that - perhaps adjust the white balance to indoor/tungsten lighting might sort it?

I've got a Canon Ixus 75 and I love it. The macro mode is fine, and it has image stabilisation (important for macro unless you're getting a little tripod/gorilla pod) and a massive screen on the back that can be read in all lights. The Ixus 70 is basically the same camera but it has a viewfinder and no image stabilisation, and the screen on the back isn't so big.

Both fab cameras and both less than £120 on Amazon when I bought mine (price seems to have crept up again recently though.)

PG, neither the Ixus 70 or 75 have IS though I agree both are superb, I have thought about buying a 70 (I would want a viewfinder) as a pocketable camera though there is an 8MP Ixus 80 due in March, more like the 70 with a viewfinder and it does have IS, also it is available in a range of cool colours, perhaps a non-viewfinder/larger LCD Ixus 85 will follow.
Digital camera advice - PhilW
If size is not important, can I recommend the Fuji S5600 (it looks like a smallish SLR)- now available for just over £100 if you Google it.
www.fujifilm.co.uk/consumer/digital/digital-camera...5
Has a macro function and the lens seems pretty good to me even at full 10x zoom. Also has an "anti-shake" function - not same as IS I think but pretty effective. I was a bit dubious about such a cheap (for the functions) camera having been a Pentax and Canon fan in the past - but was very pleasantly surprised by the quality of photos from the Fuji.
Couple of examples here - flower/beetle on macro and the woodpecker on full zoom, hand held through a window.
s33.photobucket.com/albums/d73/PhilRW/Examples/

Thanks for advice so far. Re one of my criteria for being able to take macro detail shots eg of hallmarks, engravings, markings etc, am I right to be looking in the specs of these cameras for the minimum focus distance under the macro specification? Looking at these, the cameras suggested so far are

Canon A570 IS - 5cm
IXUS 70 & 75 - 3cm

Finepix S5600 - 10cm
Traveller - 7cm
Fuji F450 - 3.6 inches

Does this then suggest that the IXUS is better for macro settings or am I being totally stupid? I suppose you could hold camera further away and zoom in (not under macro setting) but would that give better detail? I am sure there would be more risk of camera shake etc? I do have one of those miniature flexy tripod thingies which is quite good, I suppose that and a timer would eleiminate movement?

Digital camera advice - PhilW
"Does this then suggest that the IXUS is better for macro settings or am I being totally stupid?"
Would I be being even more stupid in suggesting that it might depend on the focal length of the lens of each camera? What I mean is that a wide angle lens might get closer but give less of a close up than a longer focal length lens - but that might just show that I know nothing about it! I suppose you could go to a camera shop and try a few cameras. You might also want to see how you get on with the viewfinder/screens for real closeups - SLRs might have a real advantage here - or am I just confusing the issue??
Regards

>>SLRs might have a real advantage here>>

In the days of film, yes that would be correct.

However, digital cameras have viewing screens...:-)

A zoom lens has the advantage, in macro mode, of being able to use the camera further away from the subject than if using a fixed lens, which makes even lighting much easier.
am I right to be looking
in the specs of these cameras for the minimum focus distance under the macro specification?
Looking at these the cameras suggested so far are
Canon A570 IS - 5cm
IXUS 70 & 75 - 3cm
Finepix S5600 - 10cm
Traveller - 7cm
Fuji F450 - 3.6 inches

Perhaps you've missed a macro setting. The Traveler in the link (at £109.99) has a macro setting from 20mm to 400mm, as well as one from 70mm to 400mm (tele enabled). I myself have taken a few snaps of ladybirds, etc., that nearly fill the screen. I am not suggesting that this camera is superior to "brand name" ones; merely that it does the job - and well.
Does this then suggest that the IXUS is better for macro settings >>

I would say the the A570 is because it is a longer focal length at that setting thus is magnifying more.
FT i have had a number of digital cameras and none of them (and three mobiles with cameras for that matter) do not suffer with bright light ever. Indoor or outdoor. Worst case is over exposure like with film. Dynamic range processing can help keep highlights and shadows.

You get whst you pay for but major brands have affordable cameras that do not do what your camera does. But it must be acceptable for you. So happy with that. You shuld borrow a dslr to see the difference for any photo regardless of
MP
FT i have had a number of digital cameras and none of them (and three
mobiles with cameras for that matter) do not suffer with bright light ever.

What?
You get whst you pay for but major brands have affordable cameras that do not
do what your camera does. But it must be acceptable for you. So happy with
that. You shuld borrow a dslr to see the difference for any photo regardless of

OK - you state that DSLR cameras do not exhibit this effect, but are happy that Sony & Canon do cameras do, as my old Panasonic NV-M7 VHS camera, which was flippin' expensive at the time, does. Is that right? Are not Sony, Canon, and Panasonic "major brands", by the way?

I still think that photographing an object, with a digital camera, against a bright light, will lead to a problem. Perhaps you will disabuse me of this notion by uploading an image, to an appropriate site, of a mug, lemon, or other still life composition, at about 3 metres range, just in front of an unshaded 60W incandescent bulb.
ft none of my digital cameras have had this problem. All Canon. As auto mode the brightness might overwhelm the image but not the issue you or op say.

Now to get a good pic you might then need some manual intervention such as changing spot metering, point of focus, etc. Dslr is no different but images are better due to lens and sensor size being much bigger.
ft none of my digital cameras have had this problem. All Canon.

Please post a shot somewhere, then - as I say, I am interested, technically. A friends recent shot "on the piste" with a new-ish (<1yr) Sony camera exhibits this effect. I cannot believe that one brand is immune to this - most makes employ the same technology, do they not?
I'll try to sort something. All my posts via my ipod tonight. But in bright light they would just show white. Might try setting up your lemon and lamp test :-)

If you've not discovered the dpreview site take a look. I've learned lots reading about technology and reviews
>>against a bright light, will lead to a problem.>>

I used to do a lot of weddings and portraits professionally - the trick was to use "fill-in" flash to gently reveal more detail as well as reduce the contrast levels, especially for wedding shots.

It applies equally to my digital camera; in fact quite a few models feature fill-in flash.
>>against a bright light will lead to a problem.>>
quite a few models feature fill-in flash.

I thought mine had that, but it could be the Sony - I are have been looking in the manual. Mine has, however: "Pre-Flash "The ?Pre-flash? mode allows you to brighten the subject prior to taken the final picture and firing the flash." Not sure what that does. It's also got "flash offset", which seems to mean that you can vary the flash "power" ("The flash power becomes strong when selecting ?+? values. The flash power becomes soft when selecting ?-? values"). When should I use these, I wonder?
>>The ?Pre-flash? mode allows you to brighten the subject prior to taken the final picture and firing the flash>>

More likely to be to prevent "red eye". You can't "brighten the subject" prior to taking the final picture as the flash is just that - a fractions of a second output of light.

Fill-in flash is generally used for taking subjects against the light and is normally set at a level below the normal flash output.

Another trick (with a flash gun) is to point it at the ceiling or similar reflective surface to soften the subject i.e. not use direct flash; some flash guns came with a translucent cover, again to soften the harsh effects of flash.

Edited by Stuartli on 05/02/2008 at 13:44

>>The ?Pre-flash? mode allows you to brighten the subject prior to taken the final picture
and firing the flash>>
More likely to be to prevent "red eye". You can't "brighten the subject" prior to
taking the final picture as the flash is just that - a fractions of a
second output of light.

I don't think so. There is an entirely separate red-eye reduction mode (modes are auto, red-eye reduction, pre-flash, flash off, forced flash). I had the thought that perhaps the "brightening" effect was to do with one exposure and two flashes, but... I don't know.
But to do fill-in flash well you need a good flash, possibly not even on the camera itself don't you. Flash on cameras, including dSLR are not great.

One clever bit on mine is it can wirelessly control other flash units using the inbuilt flash - not that I have tried. You could set a few compatible flashes up in the room and then they listen and it flashes quickly to communicate. Quite cool.
Digital camera advice - Altea Ego
I use an old SLR flash on a tripod, that has an optical trigger

The camera flash triggers the off camera flash. I use the flash on the camera to fill in on sunlit from behind.

FotheringtonThomas

You said: "That seems to be a problem with digital cameras in general.... Mine does it if you've a subject standing in front of the sun, bright indoor lights, etc" and "Perhaps someone else with a digital camera would comment on this behaviour?"

Well dug out my old Canon A95 (only 5MP) and took a photo of the energy saver bulb in my office ceiling light. It's a 100Watt equivalent and it's rarely on because it is so bright - you cannot look at it directly for too long.

So set to Macro mode put camera very close and... I get a picture of the bulb without any fine lines etc. Take pictures of things close to lamps with bright light behind and still no lines.
You said: "That seems to be a problem with digital cameras in general.... Mine does
it if you've a subject standing in front of the sun bright indoor lights etc"
and "Perhaps someone else with a digital camera would comment on this behaviour?"
Well dug out my old Canon A95 (only 5MP) and (it doesn't do it)

Hmm! Curiouser and curiouser. I tested mine again with an Anglepoise lamp, silver inside, 60W. Results:

Still photos: Vertical line seen on LCD monitor, this line runs from top to bottom of camera screen, as the camera is rotated, the line keeps the top-bottom orientation on the screen, which is quite odd! The vertical bar does NOT appear on the digital image at all, though!

Video: Vertical line as before. This line does however appear on the video clip, and when the camera is rotated, the line rotates with it (i.e. is always up/down on the video).

So, I was wrong about that. I'd just assumed that the display accurately depicts what will be on the image.

This is interesting, as my friend's new Sony camera *does* show vertical bars when it takes video (no idea about stills, I will try & get a test).

A phone camera I just borrowed does not show vertical lines on the display, and vertical lines don't come out on stills or video.

My old Panasonic VHS does show vertical bars when (for instance) filming someone with the sun behind them.

Does your A95 show a bar when it takes a video?

What on earth could be causing this? Oh, and is photographing bright lights likely to damage cameras!
The display showed a wide purple line briefly until it had started focusing and setting aperture. Just tried rotation the camera and it did the same as yours with the line not rotation - but within a fraction of a second you can hear it adjusting and it goes. It did not stay on screen for long and did not appear on the photo - maybe your camera does not adjust aperture until you fully press the shutter button?

Also tried video this time and once focused and aperture set correctly no band and I could rotate the camera and no line. Nothing like lines appeared on the taken video either. Maybe yours simply was taking video with the wrong aperture setting?

With the price of cameras low now I still would say the OP cannot go wrong with a Canon and no more than 5MP is really needed. May dSLR happens to be 10MP but that is not why I chose it.
maybe your camera does not adjust aperture until you fully
press the shutter button?
(video with) wrong aperture setting?

I have just tested a Casio Exilim 7.MP camera.

Still: Vertical line on display - not recorded onto image.
Video: Vertical line on both screen and recorded onto video.
Digital camera advice - Statistical outlier
AFAIK, the line is a result of the preview shot on the screen being taken with the aperture wide open. This is to give the most light in to the sensor to give you a nice useable image to line the shot up with. When you take the shot then it adjusts to something appropriate to get a high quality image, and hence no line.

My optical engineer explained it properly to me a while ago, but I can't recall more detail now I'm afraid!
Mine adjusts the aperture before any button is pressed. But agree it's aperture - odd it does not rotate with the screen/camera though.

Any thoughts on what you will get for a works camera. I've never bought from these but stumbled across the site when looking for my dSLR. It appealed because it's not that far away to go there for me.

www.buyacamera.co.uk/xsearch.asp?RecId=SONCA910&pt...k

They have the Canon 570is for £94.99 but reminds me when I got the Canon (and any camera!) you need to get a camera case.

EDIT: And Amazon have it with a memory card and case for £117. And I assume your company will get the VAT back.

Edited by rtj70 on 05/02/2008 at 16:04

Found this (it's written a while back but still appears completely relevant):

www.acecam.com/photography/2907.html

Seems the pre-flash feature, if available, is to set the white balance; it may prevent the intended use of a slave flash unit.
The comment: "Any thoughts on what you will get for a works camera..." was obviously for the OP - two replies in one.

Thinking about it I like the Canon UI on a camera and if you already have that on your own then I'd go Canon for the works one too. Selfish but there is not much in it cost wise to go for a non-branded one. Most cameras ought to be fine and will do what you want.
Worktop corner protectors - bathtub tom
I've a fitted bedroom. The top of the dresser is 22mm thick funiture board, with a semi-circular front edge, the side is flat, however the corner is getting chipped.
I've seen metal corner protectors , but for the life of me can't remember where.
The company that fitted them has disappeared, I've tried the local DIY sheds to no avail, and had no luck surfing the interweb thingy. Can anyone suggest a source?
Worktop corner protectors - normd2
as a starter for 10 how about:

www.screwfix.com/cats/A332927/Ironmongery/Chest-Fi...s

Worktop corner protectors - bathtub tom
That's the sort of thing, unfortunately they don't give its dimensions. I'll have to do some digging.
Thanks.
Worktop corner protectors - Pugugly {P}
If you can find one try an old fashioned ironmonger. Usually cheaper than your DIY shed as well.
Worktop corner protectors - Dulwich Estate
I use plastic corner protectors which we first bought to protect out toddlers from gouging out their eyes. That would have been from Mothercare in about ...mmm...1990 !

We don't waste much in this house.
Pension query - JH
The company I work for is ending my final salary pension scheme and I'm having to try to work out the benefits of the various options open to me.

I need to pay into the company stakeholder scheme so that I get the contribution which my employer is offering but should I pay any further amount into that scheme where I will get tax relief, or into a SIPP? On the former I will get tax relief and as I pay more and more in I could find myself coming out of the 40% bracket so the tax benefit will reduce at that point(?). On the latter I understand that all tax relief is at my highest rate(40%).

I know I ought to take independent financial advice but I wonder how independent it is when you ask "should I give my money to you?".

Thanks,
JH
Pension query - Altea Ego
as part of ending your final salary scheme, they should be offering you trully impartial advice by a financial advisor who is paid to advise and not to sell you into acme savings
Pension query - Armitage Shanks {p}
This is an idea NOT advice! Consider AVCs.
Pension query - Mapmaker
There are two sorts of IFAs.

Those who are truly independent.

Those who work for a small range of financial services providers.

And the third sort...

who are employed by, e.g. Scottish Widows so are not independent at all.

IIRC there was a really good supplement on pensions in the Telegraph a couple of weekends ago. Worth a trip to the library. Best tip was that if you do start a SIPP there are companies you can go through on an execution only basis who will give you the commission they would have earned had they been advising you. (They obviously take a small cut too.) Worth a percent or two on your pension.

The third option for you is ISAs. No tax relief on the way in, but with tax relief on the way out instead you get similar benefits to with a pension - and can pass the remainder on when you die.
Pension query - cheddar
Again NOT advice, though you might be better to put you money in property.
Pension query - Falkirk Bairn
I was in a Final salary scheme and was made redundant. Paid into various Personal and company Money Purchase schemes - Money from this buys an annuity (your pension)

The Final salary scheme paid out well considering it has been frozen for 16 years. The last £100K I paid i in 10 years into Money Purchase schemes was in my mind "poor value" - I paid in most at the "top of the market" (I had 5 very good commission/bonus years) and suffered accordingly.

Thank goodness I also squirrelled away cash at the same time - (prior to this I had spent my £50K redundancy money on 3 x sons at University)

The cash in ISAs pays virtually what an annuity pays - the capital in the annuity is gone whilst the capital in the ISAs is intact.

Take advice and do not put all your eggs in the one basket, Pensions, Cash in Bank, ISAs, shares, bonds...........Property has been good but you could buy at the top of the market (say now in Scotland) and it could dip when you want to sell - Property is not that liquid and at the best of times can take months to sell and at the worst times sit for years or sold at a substantial loss.
Pension query - Dulwich Estate
I've just about had it with pensions and the crooks that peddle them and run them. You may get 40% off with tax relief to start with, but what never ceases to amaze me are all the devious ways to nick a bit off you here and there.

A big %-age set up cost, a %-age cost to buy units, a 1%-3% annual figure to run it, a %-age hit to take it out again. Then when you finally have your lump sum and convert it to an annuity you're doing well to beat the going savings rate anyway - then to cap it al, when you die they get to keep your money.

When SWMBO qualified for a company scheme where they would match her own contribution up to something like 9% of her salary, I worked out it would take 5 years just to break even.

No. No. No.

Here's an idea - Buy toys that you think might increase in value and never open the boxes.

My, now departed, BIL had around 30 unused dinky toys still in their boxes. They dated back to 1950's/1960's - worth a lot now.
Here's an idea - Buy toys that you think might increase in value and never
open the boxes.
My now departed BIL had around 30 unused dinky toys still in their boxes. They
dated back to 1950's/1960's - worth a lot now.

Thats a carp pension. He is dead and he never cashed them in. What use is that!
Pension query - jbif
I.M.O. the best independent pensions advice you can get is from
www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/
"The Pensions Advisory Service, is an independent non-profit organisation that provides free information, advice and guidance on the whole spectrum of pensions covering State, company, personal and stakeholder schemes. "

One of their experts, Malcolm McLean, regularly appears on BBC's "workinglunch" TV program and Malcolm is probably the most trustworthy person I have ever heard or seen on the media.
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/working_lunch/65756...m
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/working_lunch/69193...m
"Answers to your pensions problems - Malcolm tackles your pensions problems
Answered by Malcolm McLean of the Pensions Advisory Service. "

Edited by jbif on 06/02/2008 at 11:56

Pension query - cheddar
Thats a carp pension. He is dead and he never cashed them in. What use
is that!

Its what you call transferable benefits !
Pension query - Falkirk Bairn
My final salary Pension was frozen 15 years ago.

On claiming the Pension it was a lot less than I'd hoped for but very good compared with the "Money Purchase Schemes".

Although I got 40% off in tax much of the money went in
"setting up fees", monthly fees, annual managrement fees, fees to advisers on finishing ( I never contacted them in my life" and finally they all had similar annuity rates.

When I took the Personal Pension out it paid around 10% of the final amount per year - estimated at £130K = £13 K per year. In the end it was £80Kish and paid out £5K per year - again less than expected by about 60%

The Final Salary scheme is run by the company itself - reserves can be 33% less than Insurance Co based schemes as they do not have these charges. So a Pension pot of £200K in the Company Scheme would be as good as £300K in and Insur-scam scheme!!

Be warned - the advisers and Ins Cos make more out of your pension than you do!!
Why would he have wanted to cash in when he was working and didn't need the money. I think you're being downright rude - what with that Ego of yours.

It was darned obvious I was suggesting that investing in things other than money could be a useful alternative.

Strop really not welcome. He died a couple of weeks back and was probably younger than you.
Pension query - JH
Thanks everyone, yes I'm covering all of the bases though maybe not the toy one but then there's no way I'd be able to resist taking them out of the boxes. Some useful web sites there. I have a massive aversion to giving up income, building a "pot" and then handing it over to an insurance company in what looks very much like legalised theft. Still, that's only my opinion you realise!
Thanks all,
JH
Pension query - PhilW
"investing in things other than money could be a useful alternative"

And you may well be able to pass them on to your loved ones. My pension will be reasonable, but it largely dies with me - widows benefits are laughable (but not for the widow). Something else to bear in mind?
Pension query - rtj70
Dulwich Estate, sorry to hear this. Must be hard for your wife.

I know of another example where you cannot get all back but like your example MAY be better than some pensions.... personal pension fund which buys property amongst other things.

Knew someone who was doing this knowing he could never get all his investment back... well it was a pension fund so who knows when members of it no longer need it. But he started buying property etc. through his pension fund back in the 90s! Even with the imminent fall in shares/property bet he could retire soon.... he was also an IT Contractor earning loads and had about 6 Lotus Elan's!
Why would he have wanted to cash in when he was working and didn't need
the money. I think you're being downright rude - what with that Ego of yours.
It was darned obvious I was suggesting that investing in things other than money could
be a useful alternative.
Strop really not welcome. He died a couple of weeks back and was probably younger
than you.

>>

It was humour, A joke, heard of them?

My father died consdierably younger than yours, in fact I am now the same age as him when he died, but I dont go round snapping at people do I.

Jezz people are so touchy on here these days.
Big Ego - Kindly read the original post.

What's my father got to do with it.

I really couldn't see the humour and doubt if many others could either.

You had the opportunity to withdraw the so-called humour and maybe even apologise but you chose not to, simply implying I'm touchy. Maybe it's that Ego of yours again.

Shame. I won't forget.
It was darned obvious I was suggesting that investing in things other than money could
be a useful alternative.

Very well, I shall be serious for once in my life then,

Investing in antiques and collectibles with the assumption that they will increase in value sufficiently to provide funds for a pension is very risky and very dangerous. These items are at the whim of market forces that have no relation to finance. In effect fashion dictates the value of such investments.

Pension query - Mapmaker
On the latter [SIPP] I understand that all tax relief is at my highest rate(40%).

Nobody has addressed this, but I doubt it very much. I think you will find that you will only get higher rate tax relief to the extent that you have paid higher rate tax.

Munich - 6th Feb 1958 - cheddar
Interesting and moving programmes on last night about the Munich Air Disaster including Manchester United Goalkeeper Harry Gregg, a true hero, he dragged others out of the wreckage, going back to Munich and meeting others involved for the first time in 50 years.

What is the point of this post? Well I am not a united supporter (though like to see them do well in Europe) however I have to commend them for the way they have featured the events of 1958 on their website.

www.manutd.com
Munich - 6th Feb 1958 - Big Bad Dave
I'm a life-long Man City fan but I always get mushy about Munich. Not very cool to admit to liking The Spinners but my dad was a fan back in the 70s and they sing about The Munich Air disaster which is how I first became aware of it.
Actually I have followed Leeds since 1970 though unlike 99% of Leeds fans I have a soft spot for Man U, I think because they always represented English football in Europe so well.

One of my sons follows Leeds and the other Man U which has worked out well.
Munich - 6th Feb 1958 - Round The Bend
Not for the son who follows Leeds!

:)
Munich - 6th Feb 1958 - helicopter
I switched over to BBC1 and I came in to the middle of that programme and was riveted and moved by the emotions it still generated.

What a hero Harry Gregg was on that day and what an all round fine man.

He deserves a knighthood in my opinion.

What a hero Harry Gregg was on that day and what an all round fine
man.
He deserves a knighthood in my opinion.

I agree!
Munich - 6th Feb 1958 - Bromptonaut
BBD

Like you I "got" the Spinners via my Dad. Uncool maybe - but they still sound great 40 yrs on. Their performance of The Minstrel boy segued with The Leaving of Liverpool is along with Johnny Todd (Z Cars) a real spine tingler.

But what was the title of the song about Munich?
Munich - 6th Feb 1958 - Big Bad Dave
It was Flowers of Manchester, dunno who wrote it.

I saw them at the Free Trade Hall in Manchester when I was about 8. We broke down in traffic and did the last mile or so on foot in the pouring rain. Happy days.

Must ask the old man to put all that vinyl into MP3 format for me, it's not on itunes... The other one I love is Shoals of Herring which was written by Kirsty McColls dad as I recall.
Munich - 6th Feb 1958/Spinners - Bromptonaut
Ta BBD

There's at least one album on Napster but their work is mixed in with the Motown band of the same name (who sold as the Detroit Spinners over here).

They were an early "touch point" for Mrs B and I and we saw them in 84ish at Wembley Conference Centre.

(Edit) a quick google found this:

www.munich58.co.uk/flowers/index.asp

Edited by Bromptonaut on 07/02/2008 at 23:16

Munich - 6th Feb 1958/Spinners - Big Bad Dave
"There's at least one album on Napster"

Cheers I'll check that out when nobody's looking.
Cleaning a concrete mixer - oldnotbold
I've been given a small electric mixer, but it's not been very well-cleaned after previous use. I know about running it with a couple of half-bricks to clean off loose mortar etc, but is there a more powerful solvent/cleaner I can use safely that will clean off hardened mix? I don't have a pressure washer.
Cleaning a concrete mixer - rtj70
Dynamite ;-) Did anyone ever see the Mythbusters episode when they tried this on concrete mixer trucks? Didn't work. Then the explosive expert blew the thing into small pieces using lots of industrial grade explosives - and I mean the whole truck apart from the engine block.

Does the mixer need to be totally clean?

Cleaning a concrete mixer - oldnotbold
"Does the mixer need to be totally clean?"

Yes, because that's the way I like my tools. It annoys me to see something left like that, and it means if I lend it out, the borrower might think it's OK to abuse it it/leave it dirty.
Cleaning a concrete mixer - CQ
After lending someone my concrete mixer and finding they had left about six shovelfulls of hardened concrete in it, I bought some masonry cleaner from builders merchant.
Poured in four gallons on the stuff, let it soak in, revolved the drum with the motor and gently hammered the drum with a lump hammer. All crud came out,wear gloves and goggles this cleaner is dilute hydrochloric acid.
Cleaning a concrete mixer - Group B
Was going to say the method I've seen used on most sites is hitting the mixer drum with a lump hammer or sledge hammer, but not always gently.. ;o)

Cleaning a concrete mixer - FotheringtonThomas
I know about running it with a couple of half-bricks to clean off loose mortar

Don't do that, it'll dent the drum and make it harder to clean in future.

Loosely crumple a few bits of newspaper, and put them in. Light them (perhaps with a drop of parrafin, or diesel, on them) and have a brief fire. This will dislodge the muck without the need for too much mechanical persuasion. You don't need to get the thing very very hot - indeed, of you do, you may damage belts or bearings.
Bose Wave Music System - ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond
Hi. Week 5 and I still havent had a fag after 25 years of smoking. I've been putting the £40 away each week and want to get something out of it. Another month and I'll be near the target of getting one of these Bose systems.

Has anyone got, or heard the Bose Wave music Shelf System?

If so, are they good or can you recommend something better for the money? I didnt want a whole hi-fi seperate system. I had one of them in my single days. Yes it was an amazing sound but now I want the sound but in a compact unit.

Thanks for any help.
Bose Wave Music System - daveyjp
Well done on you achievement to date!

I have a Bose Wave system which replaced seperates.

I think it's a great system in terms of the sound it produces for the size of the unit, but we also bought it because it is very unobtrusive. Our sits on top of the TV and looks like a clock radio. The MP3 player can be plugegd into it and they now do a DAB receiver for the system.

We have a Sony portable system in the kitchen which gives decent sound, but it's almost twice the size would look very out of place sat on top of the TV.

Buying a Bose is akin to buying a car from a premium manufacturer - the name can play a big part in the total cost.
Bose Wave Music System - Round The Bend
Out of interest, how much do these things cost? The ads are usually pretty coy.
Bose Wave Music System - nick
I think they're around the £800 mark.
Bose Wave Music System - dereckr
I was shopping at the Ashford (Kent) outlet centre a couple of years ago. I was standing outside an electrical store, when some music started playing. I was immediately struck by how good it sounded, even from outside the shop?vastly superior to the ?boom and tizz? compact systems that are on sale everywhere else.
I discovered the source was a Bose wave system CD player. It was so good I?ve wanted one ever since. I?ve not been that impressed by a piece of audio gear since last visiting the Olympia audio fairs in the mid 70?s?Linn Sondek and Meridian amps etc (if anyone else remembers those!)
Bose Wave Music System - daveyjp
The Bose Wave is £400, with DAB receiver £500. There are a few Bose centres at out of town discount shopping outlets and you can sometimes get small discounts on new ones.
Bose Wave Music System - ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond
Thats the price of the bose websit. £400 plus £15 p&p. I'm sure if I shop around I could save a few bob.
Bose Wave Music System - henry k
>>I'm sure if I shop around I could save a few bob.

I suspect you will only get a discount at an outlet shooping centre like Gunwarf Quays, Portsmouth or Bicester Village - both have a Bose shop.
Bose Wave Music System - PhilW
"outlet shopping centre have a Bose shop."
As do Cheshire Village(?) near Birkenhead and Ashford
Bose Wave Music System - Bromptonaut
As do Cheshire Village(?) near Birkenhead and Ashford

Cheshire Oaks?
Bose Wave Music System - PhilW
"Cheshire Oaks?"
That's the one - where I buy my M&S longjohns after visting the outlaws! (while kids buy out GAP - or somewhere!)

Bose Wave Music System - Falkirk Bairn
I?ve not been that impressed by a piece of audio
gear since last visiting the Olympia audio fairs in the mid 70?s?Linn Sondek and Meridian
amps etc (if anyone else remembers those!)

Linn are still about but their kit was really expensive in the 70's and 80's - it still is and it is still available - at a price - my ears are not good enough and my pockets not full enough to buy some "Glasgow Sound"
Bose Wave Music System - Stuartli
The Mail on Sunday's Live magazine did a review about three months ago of some of the world's most expensive turntables that made a Linn, even today, seem cheap.

Top price was well into five figures...:-)