00 1.8 petrol, rev problems - Jakes
Hi,
My Focus over-rev when the car is out of gear. When you change gears the revs don't go down and they seem to just climb higher and higher (3000+). It seems to go back to normal when the car comes to a complete standstill. The revs also seem to go down a bit when you depress the clutch. IOC and idle speed control valve changed without success. Any ideas?

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 21/01/2008 at 22:35

00 1.8 petrol, rev problems - Screwloose
Jakes

The ECU isn't seeing the throttle has shut. Maybe get the throttle position readings looked at in live data - the problem is in that circuit.
Hi,
Thanks for the advice. It has now been on the Ford computer twice, not showing any problems. Any other ideas?
Jakes

Then the person using the computer wasn't doing his job right.

These have a near-unique way of re-setting the idle voltage every time that you drive it; they won't flag codes and a superficial look at the throttle sensor reading will tell you nothing.

The problem is geting the ECU to recognize that the throttle is closed and to initiate idle procedure. That is what's not happening - finding the cause and fixing it is one of the most technical jobs around.

Most dealers can't get their heads round these - it's not just yours.
Again, thanks for the reply, but what do you suggest I do now?
Jakes

Ask your dealers if they have someone who understands these idle systems and, if not, where do they send them. [My local dealer sends them to me; yours must have a similar arrangement.]
00 1.8 petrol, rev problems - Graham gggg
Hi

I have a Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec which experienced similar issues.

I found the TPS and drilled the holes slightly larger to allow for extra turning.

The Amount it needs to turn is surprisingly little.

Mines all fixed now... ( fingers crossed)
00 1.8 petrol, rev problems - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Try this, it works 19 times out of 20.. Disconnect the battery for 10 minutes, then start the engine and allow it to warm up fully without touching the throttle. Then take the car for a run of about 5 miles. The ecu will then have relearnt the throttle closed position.
Andrew