What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I have a Question - Volume 214 - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 215 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 214. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18847

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/12/2007 at 01:04

What's my job title? - Big Bad Dave
I'm starting a design partnership and I've just come to a mental block on the business cards. Do people put job titles on business cards now? What's good etiquette? For what it's worth, I'm cutting back on the amount of design I do and acting more as an agent to redistribute design work and take a percentage. So what's my job title? Is there anything I absolutely shouldn't do, anything off-putting or that would make me come across as a bigger pfd than I am? I'm thinking "project manager" but it puts me in mind of property developing. Help. We print tomorrow.

Cheers, Dave.
What's my job title? - spikeyhead {p}
If you're a director of the company that you're setting up, then just put "director"
--
I read often, only post occasionally
What's my job title? - Clk Sec
Design Consultant.

Clk Sec

What's my job title? - PoloGirl
Partner, if you have to put a job title at all. A lot of the ones I've seen recently don't, particularly those of creative type people.

And yes, less is more. Mine has way too much faff on it - email, website, direct dial, mobile, central switchboard, job title, department, logo, strapline... blah blah blah... I really want a nice crisp one in portrait instead of landscape, but I fear that is not to be.

What's my job title? - henry k
>>Is there anything I absolutely shouldn't do, anything off-putting or that would make me come across as a bigger pfd than I am?
>>
To state what is not obvious to some out there ( including £billion companies).
A white card, certainly no larger than a credit card and either blank or plenty of space to write on the back of it.
A logo or some colour on the front is nice.
Some like mug shots on their card! OK if you are a pretty person :-).
What's my job title? - adverse camber
I used to get batches of cards made up with a variety of titles. Then distribute them depending on who I was dealing with and why.

Some blanks as well.
What's my job title? - Alby Back
I've done that when necessary. e.g. " I'll have to get that approved by the boss" (me) or "I'll get our admin people to draw that up" (me) or "We'll get our rep to call" (me) or "I'll pass your enquiry to our accounts dept." (me) or "We'll get the warehouse on that straightaway" (me) !

No titles in my view, different folks, different strokes !
What's my job title? - bell boy
just dont put lots of mobile phone numbers on the card
KISS
anybody who gets one its up to them whether they want to keep it or file it under B
What's my job title? - adverse camber
That's it ;-)

The blanks are also useful if you have someone doing some stuff for you on the side. They can just say they've run out of 'proper'cards and write their name on one of the blanks.
What's my job title? - Bromptonaut
From the recipients perspective:-

Job title is useful if it says exactly what you do - particularly if I'm seeing you as part of a "delegation" and I'm going to need to talk about websites to one guy, publications to another and conferences/events to a third.

My own just has logo/strapline; name; role; address and telephone/email web. It already looks overcrowded
What's my job title? - rtj70
I've given up for now on company ones. We've goen through some renaming in recent years and my department has been moved across a few divisions. If I'd renewed business cards it would have been a waste.

Worst of all I have to order 500 as a minimum (cheap mind) but I can never get through that many between re-organisations!
What's my job title? - Martin Devon
Strapline?

VBR.............MD
What's my job title? - Bromptonaut
Strapline?

Goes with your logo and says what your business is about.

eg (Sainsbury's) "Try Something New Today"
What's my job title? - bell boy
surely you dont need a strapline if you are a household name?
hoover?
dyson?
rac?

always seems pointless advertising to me,it would be better if they said something like 25% off today on production of your telly showing this advert
What's my job title? - normd2
IMHO - no job title.

Company name
Your name
contact phone number(s)
email address
postal/visiting address
What's my job title? - Big Bad Dave
Blimey

15 good answers all different

Cheers all

Went for "director" but that covers all manner of tasks like cleaning toilets and making tea.
What's my job title? - Nsar
There's a small agency I know where one partner is the creative and the other is the FD. One has "Lord of Chaos", the has "Lord of Order" on their cards. a bit ham shank, but it gets them talked about.
What's my job title? - Lud
A bit late but: I've never run a company and I don't use cards, to my own inconvenience and others' irritation and surprise.

You may need two cards BBD. One for receptionists, understrappers and messengers, carrying a lot of information and perhaps having a bit of 'design' on it. The other for serious people, simple and minimalist, with your name, company name and phone number or address. This card should be on fine pasteboard and be embossed. You still see people running their thumbs over cards. Makes a difference.

You simply don't need a job title. Indeed why typecast yourself?

Edited by Lud on 21/12/2007 at 14:08

Parkinson Last Show - Repeated? - OldGolfer
Please does anyone know if the last "Parkinson Show" is due to be repeated on TV in the near future?

Not me - SWMBO !!

Thanks in anticipation ;-)

Regards
Paul
Parkinson Last Show - Repeated? - John R @ home {P}
CHAT SHOW: Parkinson
On: ITV1 Granada (08)
Date: Saturday 22nd December 2007 (starting this evening)
Time: 22:15 to 23:20 (1 hour and 5 minutes long)

The Final Show.
Michael Parkinson ends this, his last-ever series, with a look back over his 30-year career as a chat show host, reflecting on some of his favourite and most treasured moments.
(Stereo, Last In Series, Widescreen, Subtitles)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=19777
Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Or did you mean last weeks 2 hour extravaganza? I have that recorded on V+ HDD

Regards,

John R @ Home
OldGolfer,

for a small (price of a packet of cigs?) donation to... www.rafa.org.uk/fundraising-donations.asp
I could burn it to DVD and post it to you.
If you want me to, pass your address to the Mods who can pass it to me.

P.S.
I can't check if you donate or not...

Regards,

John R @ Home
Parkinson Last Show - Repeated? - Pugugly {P}
We will help.
Thanks Pugugly,

I'll keep a watch out for further info by e-mail.

Regards,

John R @ Home
Thank you PU and John R @ Home

PU - I'm about to send you a PM with my home address - please forward to John R.
John R - I will make a donation as requested.

I look forward to receiving the DVD in due course - SWMBO will be impressed ;-)

Thanks and regards to all in the BackRoom

Regards
Paul
John R @ Home

Thank you for your offer.

Donation made. Address details sent via email / PU.

I had to smile at the RAFA address - 117 and 1/2 TeeHee

Thanks again for your time in doing this - very much appreciated.
Regards
Paul
Parkinson Last Show - Repeated? - Pugugly {P}
Details e-mailed followed by a nice warm feeling about decent people !
Oldgolfer & Pugugly,

DVD burnt (burned?) whatever!
It will be in the post Monday.
(Got to keep SWMBOs happy!)

Happy Christmas and a Very Merry New Year to all.

Regards,

John R @ Home
Does you mobile do this and do you recommend it? - BobbyG
Now that I am returning my Nokia 6500 slider due to its software issue of resetting all the tones itself, I am looking to pick another phone.

Does your phone match all of the criteria below, and if so do you recommend it?

Bluetooth
FM radio
MP3 music player
Camera 2MP or above
Flash
Auto focus
Ability to assign text and call tones to each contact
Memory Card compatible (preferably MicroSD as I now have a spare one :( )
Easy texter - ie not tiny phone buttons where my thumb will cover 6 buttons simultaneously!
Large screen

Up till last week, I had used a Nokia 6230 for last 3 to 4 years. A great phone, size and ideal for texting but sadly lacks the camera ability or the facility for assigning tones to contacts.

Any input much appreciated. Oh, and its always a bonus if you can speak to someone with it as well ! :)

--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
Does you mobile do this and do you recommend it? - Pugugly {P}
I have a Nokia N75 for personal use and fufills all of the above. My work Blackberry 8800 is brilliant and by far the best of the three different models I've had, the Curve I believe has a camera.
Does you mobile do this and do you recommend it? - Dynamic Dave
My Nokia N70 can do everything in your list, with the exception of assigning a dedicated ring tone when a text message arrives from a contact.

The LED flash isn't all it's cracked up to be. Unless you're close to the subject you are photographing, it doesn't make much difference to be honest.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/12/2007 at 13:33

Thanks guys, the N70 and N73 are not available to me but the N81 and N95 are!

Are they "improved" versions on the N70 series or totally different?
--
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
Are they "improved" versions on the N70 series or totally different?

Bobby, if you goto www.nokia.co.uk/A4221001 , click on the 'compare' button under each of the phones you're interested in, and then click on the other 'compare' button on the RH side of the page towards the top. This will then give you a breakdown of details of each phone you've selected and the spec of each one compared with the other(s)
Cheers Dave, will give that a go.
--
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
Oh and the N75 has a very irritating flashing blue LED which I can't turn off.
Does you mobile do this and do you recommend it? - rtj70
"Oh and the N75 has a very irritating flashing blue LED which I can't turn off."

Didn't disabling sleep mode not turn off the annoying flashing blue LED? I did reply to a previous post of yours.

It's under Tools>Settings>Phone>Display>Sleep Mode
No it crashed the phone when I did that :-(
Maybe you need to update the firmware? You can do it yourself at home these days. Worth checking out.

When I got my N70 upgraded in a shop they killed it though and it had to be sent to Nokia. Since then I have upgraded it once more myself at home without problems.
Maybe you need to update the firmware?
I have upgraded it once more myself at home without problems.

rtj70, I also have an N70. Does this wipe any of the existing settings, saved txt messages, phone book, pictures, etc when upgrading the firmware? Any benefits in doing it?
I'll answer my own question. From the Nokia website:

"Personal data such as contacts, photos and messages stored in the phone memory will be deleted during phone software update. It is strongly recommended that you backup this data to your memory card before updating your phone software."
It's a total wipe as you've found out. Was not a problem for me as I sync with my PC so contacts etc. all put back afterwards.

The only reason I needed to upgrade is the Bluetooth software was flakey for my GPS receiver and newer firmware has fixed that.

Going back to the original question of which phone to recommend. I have always preferred the interface on Nokia's to other phones. Have you got the option of was of the E models? They are smart phones too. There's an E51 now which looks good.

I suppose it depends if you need a proper holder/charger for a car kit and which network you're on...

A cheap way of getting some phones is a pay as you go deal at Carphone Warehouse (but not 3G phones). All phones apart from 3G at Carphone Warehouse are not SIM/network locked for stock reasons - they won't keep a particular model in for all the networks. But 3G I think are locked.
Exchange of contracts (House) - Brill {P}
I understand that if a buyer were to pull out after exchange of contracts they would lose their deposit if they wanted to walk away.

What if the seller has changed their mind, what would happen then? Would the buyer sue them for breech of contract? What's the likely course of events?
Exchange of contracts (House) - Nsar
Plenty here more qualified than me to answer but it's a contract to buy/sell at the agreed price so the other side would be entitled to claim for their consequential loss - surveyor's reports etc..
Exchange of contracts (House) - hxj
It depends upn the contract.

It might be possible to sue for consequential losses. It might also be possible to issue a 'notice to complete', sue for completion of the contract, register a charge on the property and ask for the title to be transferred into the buyers name.

It is a complex area, or at least this is what the leading edge (or 'expensive') lawyers who acted for a client said.

Edited by hxj on 22/12/2007 at 10:33

Eurostar out of St Pancras - Armitage Shanks {p}
Huge fanfare about the new service and rebuild of St Pancras station. When a train leaves St P, heading north and turning right to get thru the Channel Tunnel, where and how does it cross the Thames? Is there a new bridge or tunnel crossing and if so where it is, please? Not on Google Earth yet!
Eurostar out of St Pancras - Pugugly {P}
Try

earth.google.com/intl/en/userguide/v4/flightsim/in...l

Far better than going by train and zero emissions.
Eurostar out of St Pancras - daveyjp
It uses a new tunnel emerging at Ebbsfleet:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/629/629/6969116.stm
Thanks for that PU. I think I'll stick with control column and throttles! That is waaaaaaaay too complicated for an old bod!

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 23/12/2007 at 08:16

Eurostar out of St Pancras - henry k
It is a 2.5km tunnel west of Ebbsfleet so Google Earth will not show this bit ;-).

tinyurl.com/2c85r7
Thanks for the info; I am staggered at what has been achieved, over and above the 10 miles of new tunnels in North-East London and a new Thames tunnel.
Eurostar out of St Pancras - henry k
Thanks for the info; I am staggered at what has been achieved over and above
the 10 miles of new tunnels in North-East London and a new Thames tunnel.

>>
from New Civil Engineer magazine
"..an incredible story of remarkable engineering and outstanding human ingenuity.
..over 100km of new high speed railway, a quarter of it buried underground: the magnificent Medway bridge, major viaducts and over 150 other bridges: new international stations spanning the high speed line at Ebbsfleet and Stratford; a new state of the art maintenace depot at Temple Mills: 13 listed buildings moved ...& St Pancras Station."

The article mentions routing the track across a boggy areas, having to keep pumping water away to stop the Stratford "box" station floating, " sqeezing the viaduct between approaches to the Dartford Crossing and the QEII bridge was like threading a needle".

I guess joe public is not that interested in such a vast project and therefore only gets limited info.
Eurostar out of St Pancras - mfarrow
I guess joe public is not that interested in such a vast project and therefore
only gets limited info.

You're right, usually it just passes them and the media by, even when it brings great benefits. The people that get all the praise and coverage seem to be the train operating companies: Eurostar, Virgin, etc.
Brief boar update - barchettaman
As the previous volume got closed before I got a chance to post thanks, here they are now - ta for the recipe.
The marinated boar was served with a spud gratin, carrots fried in onion, red cabbage and gravy, and washed down with copious amounts of top-notch Corbieres red. It was absolutely sensational.
And a Happy Christmas everyone from a slightly sleep-deprived Castello Barchetta.
Brief boar update - PhilW
Now that sounds absolutely fantastic - suddenly I am very hungry!
--
Phil
Brief boar update - barchettaman
Well, at the risk of sending you into appetite overdrive Phil, it´s roast goose, roast pots and snips, sprouts, red cabbage, roast onions peas etc on the menu for tomorrow. Grandma Barchetta is here and is in hospitality mode. I´ll tell you about the wines later....
Happy Crimble!
Round Robins - drbe
It's that time of year when certain people include a 'round robin' with their Christmas card. I normally find these very annoying.

What do other BRers do?

Ignore them?

Send their own (truthful) one?

Send their own (untruthful) one?

Do you send a round robin - for pity's sake why?

Edited by Webmaster on 23/12/2007 at 12:24

Round Robins - Clk Sec
Probably better to receive a round robin than nothing at all, but I don?t like them and wouldn?t send one myself.

I tend to reply by letter.

Clk Sec
Round Robins - PoloGirl
My mum and dad get some stunning ones - eight pages of all the ailments the writer has sufferred over the year and how fantastically brilliant their children are.

Personally I hate the ones where they've just typed one letter and changed the names at the top. It doesn't take ten minutes to write a proper letter that's personal to the person you're sending it to really.

Round Robins - L'escargot
I've always understood that a "round robin" was a bunch of signatures written radially at the end of a letter so that the reader couldn't tell which had been written first. It looks as if there are other meanings to the phrase of which I know not.
--
L\'escargot.
Round Robins - Round The Bend
Mrs RTB sent one out this year. Can't say that I like the things especially but seems to keep her happy. Probably a girly thing.
Round Robins - jbif
understood that a "round robin" was a bunch of signatures written radially

Confusion arises from the fact that a circular does not have signatures written radially.
A round robin is a petition which has signatures in a circle and it is signed by many but sent to one recipient, a circular is colloquially wrongly called a round robin but it is the opposite of a true round robin as it is a document sent to many recipients. Confused, you will be.

Round Robins - L'escargot
A round robin is a petition which has signatures in a circle and it is
signed by many but sent to one recipient .........

Wilkipedia agrees. tinyurl.com/33t5mv
Round Robins - barchettaman
tinyurl.com/2buzu2

Great selection of Christmas circular letters
Round Robins - Pugugly {P}
We haven't seen half our Christmas cards :-(
Round Robins - Altea Ego
Hmm.

In Hacienda Altea, the computer spits out sticky address labels from the database, it also spits out lables with a stock greeting for the inside of the card.

Personal greeting? BAH You should be damn thankfull you are on the database.
------
< Ulla>
Round Robins - Big Bad Dave
I only got one Christmas card this year. Is this a record?
Round Robins - Pugugly {P}
Who was it addressed to ?
Round Robins - drbe
Ho! Ho!
Round Robins - Big Bad Dave
It was to me! From my mate in Manchester. Even my mother couldn't be bothered.
Round Robins - Altea Ego
I tried to send you one but you corrupted my database.
------
< Ulla>
tracking santa - wotspur
hi folks, where is the best and easiest site to track santa around the world- thanking you in advance -merry Christmas to all BR'S I've learnt a lot throughtout the year and enjoyed your posts here's to a safe 2008
tracking santa - Dwight Van Driver
www.noradsanta.org

may be of help.

Just done a check and looks like at the moment RAF Fylindales have no trace at the moment.

dvd
tracking santa - PhilW
Thanks for that dvd - I haven't believed in Santa for about the last 50 years - but there he is, heading our way - over Russia at the moment! Can't wait!
--
Phil
tracking santa - Altea Ego
norad thinks everything is coming from russia......
------
< Ulla>
This Jazz has no wheels but will run and run ... - El Hacko
so sad to read of the death of Oscar Peterson, but (as with all musical geniuses) the sound of his magic fingers at the piano and his off-the-cuff compositions will live on and, of course, continue to be enjoyed.
My question (plea!) is: in case I miss it, would any fans who spot a "tribute to ..." or "the sounds of ..." broadcast planned, terrestrial or otherwise, pse post the details?
Thanks
EH

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 26/12/2007 at 15:59

This Jazz has no wheels but will run and run ... - Pugugly {P}
Have a look at this - not exactly a tribute but informative.

www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/jazz/profiles/oscar_peterson....l
This Jazz has no wheels but will run and run ... - El Hacko
thanks PU - have read all the newspaper tributes, but need to 'get high' on the sight of the great man at work ... then I'll be ok!
This Jazz has no wheels but will run and run ... - Mapmaker
Obit in the Telegraph today.
This Jazz has no wheels but will run and run ... - Pugugly {P}
Loads of sounds/vids on Youtube.
Sloe Gin Recipie. - Anglesey Ian
Sloe Gin
Can anybody please point me in the direction of a good recipe for a hearty sloe gin.

With thanks

Ian

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 26/12/2007 at 16:32

Sloe Gin - ammended subject title - Anglesey Ian
Sorry for the above error

What the post or the subject line - Sailor's Return in Beaumaris then ?

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 26/12/2007 at 16:33

Sloe Gin - ammended subject title - Anglesey Ian
PU

Sorry - the subject line.

Ahh the Sailor's. My Local ! Their chef's chicken curry is unbeatable.

They've just published a new 2008 hotel brochure the front page of which replicates the orignal photo taken circa 1910: ie same poses by the current owner as the originals. Very clever.

By the way PU, do I recall from previous postings that Mrs PU is a Welsh speaker ?

Ian
Sloe Gin - ammended subject title - Pugugly {P}
She's learnt it - distance learning....I have been there and enjoyed their Japanese Torpedo Prawns - never seen or heard of them elsewhere but as implied a very straight prawn....!
Cracking beer and puds as well.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 26/12/2007 at 16:48

Sloe Gin - ammended subject title - spikeyhead {p}
I used to live just a few doors up from the Sailors about 20 years ago.

I think I was last in there in 1986!
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Sloe Gin Recipie. - adverse camber
loads onthe net.

basically 1lbsloes,1 litre gin 8oz sugar (although thats too sweet for me it goes down well with the aged rels)

either pickafter the frost or bung the sloes in the freezer for a while.

prick the sloes with a fork, mix ingredients in an airtight container and leave until you like the taste. (couple of months) stirring/shaking from time to time.

filter into bottles and give away.

the left over used sloes can be used in other receipies (ice cream)

"Unsolicited?" Delivery - Hugo {P}
I've posted this on another forum, but on reflection would like to seek any advice that our learned friends here could give me. This situation is getting silly as the company concerned simply won't respond.

To summarise as follows.

1) Over 1 month ago my 14 year old answered the door to a courier who asked her to sign for a package. This is something that we have not ordered, but is worth a lot of money.
2) We know which company sent the item but we don't know which part of this company sent it.
3) We don't appear to have been charged for it - we have no credit arrangement or account with the company in question.
4) We have sent 2 recorded delivery letters to the company in question FAO their CEO informing them that this item is in our possession. Neither appear to have been signed for. However it is unlikely that neither of them have been received. They have certainly not been returned to me. The last was sent 2 weeks ago. The first was sent over 4 weeks ago.

We understand that the goods may not legally fall into the scope of unsolicited but we have had no reply from the company in question. We have had dealings with this company recently.

We have researched the Unsolicited Goods and Services act 1971, and we suspect that this may not cover our situation as the company in question may have made a mistake.

We have phoned Consumer Direct but have been getting conflicting advice, so I'm no better off here.

1)How long should I allow the company to respond before disposing of the goods
2)What storage charge could I levy - even if it were simply to offset against the value of the goods if they made a claim in the future?
3) At what point must I draw the conclusion that the goods are infact unsolicited, as despite my 2 RD letters and 1 e mail to a senior manager, they have not even contacted me regarding their return?

Thanks
"Unsolicited?" Delivery - Pugugly {P}
Try Special Delivery - RD not worth the envelope its written on these days.
"Unsolicited?" Delivery - deepwith
Have a look at tinyurl.com/ypql3h and tinyurl.com/2ex7lh

It is their problem to retrieve their goods, they cannot bill you for them or pursue you for payment and you have done more than you are required to by law. You are, however, required to take care of their goods for up to 6 months (maximum), before you can treat them as your own.
Deepwith - thanks for the links.

The problem is (and this is why I put the first word of the title in quotations) that I have been advised that the goods may not be deemed as unsolicited.

The reason for this is that the company may be under the misaprehension that they were solicited by way of an order. They are not paid for and I don't have a credit account with the company. I have no invoice for the goods.

I think the reason why I was given this advice is because the company concerned most likely do not intentionally send out goods that have not been ordered, and IIAR the Unsolicited Goods act was brought in to stop sellers bullying random people into buying goods that they don't want.

I don't want to mention the company by name here as this would in effect be naming and shaming. I was originally advised by Consumer Direct to send a letter Recorded Delivery to the head office, which I have done. A second letter was posted two weeks later. Now some 2 weeks later there is still no response, and I doubt that neither letter has been received as I have double checked the address.

The first letter advised them that the item had been received, as I thought this would spur them into action. the second letter gave them a timescale of 2 weeks to respond. All it would have taken is a letter from them acknowledging receipt of my letter. They have not even done this.

Setting aside the merits of Recorded Delivery, have I made a reasonable effort to inform them of the situation? I don't want to go to the rediculous expense of Special Delivery when it seems that they don't feel like responding. I have also sent an e mail to a senior manager in that company.

Sorry for the rant - but your thoughts are welcome
Hugo,

Have they invoiced you for the stuff ?
Hugo
Have they invoiced you for the stuff ?

No they haven't PU
Not knowing who the company nis (or more importantly their size) have you phoned them yet ?

What's the value of the goods ? (don;t answer that unless you want to !)
"Unsolicited?" Delivery - rtj70
Might sound like a silly question (but don't think you cover this) but... was the parcel addressed to you? I've signed for neighbours parcels from couriers before now. You did check the name/address before opening ;-)

Not wanting to sound patronising but otherwise you're saying a company has sent you a parcel you did not order and have not paid for.... very odd.

... but on a similar vain my wife has a credit card on my account and has used it a couple of times. Approaching last Christmas a charge appeared on the bill which I could not understand and reported it as suspicious straight away as she would never shop online. Well she had and when I asked she said I was snooping... as if I'd not check credit card bills. And it was my Christmas present that I paid for!
PU - the value of the goods was around the £500 mark.

The company concerned is a large plc that own a number of store chains

rjt70

The item was definitely addressed to me by my business name.

Also there have been no deductions from my credit card etc.

Edited by Hugo {P} on 26/12/2007 at 22:24

So if it's a business name then you may find the invoice follows? Not knowing the company, item, value etc. maybe they are hoping you will keep it and pay for it?
Do you think you've been "cloned" ?
No, I don't think I've been cloned, anyway why would a fraudster place an expensive order to arrive at my home address. I thought they would start with a cheap item to arrive at my place, which would not ring alarm bells then get the expensive stuff delivered elsewhere.

As for the invoice being received - at this point I suppose I tell them that the goods are unsolicited and were never ordered?
Have you got a company credit card ?
No I haven't. I use my own cc to order stuff for the business. It is a small partnership between the two of us. The item has not appeared on my own credit card.

The thing is that I have recently dealt with the company in person. This is why I think it is a genuine error on the part of the company. One of the main contacts I dealt with is the senior manager who I e mailed upon receipt of the goods.

This e mail is in addition to the letters I sent.
Have you tried to phone him if you know him ?

They may take a dim view if they rumble it later. I had to seriously lean on a debt collecting agency who tried it on with us over disputed delivery of £200.00 worth of stuff (which we never had). When I say lean I mean turn the nasties on them, it was a stressful at the time.
Have you tried to phone him if you know him ?

I don't have his phone number.

TBH this is going to sound odd but I guessed his e mail address as his name and position appeared at the bottom of a letter I recieved and I needed a quick response from someone in a position of authority, as the company concerned were giving me the runaround with another issue - now resolved.

The way I guessed it was by putting a . between his first and sirname, then adding @companyname.co.uk to the end. It worked and although I've spoken to him on the phone, he had called me. I can recommend this as a means to contact someone senior in an organisation if you only have a name to go by, as the customer service advisors usually don't know who they are, so won't know who to put you through to.

Every time I have tried to contact individual people via the switchboard at head office or another office the single mined receptionist has always put me through to a customer services advisor. It seems, like a lot of companies these days, they are very good at directing you to the people they want you to speak to, rather than putting you though to the person who you need to speak to.
I did exactly that when I needed the local Chief Constable's attention - works a treat. I'm sure it was one of his staff that picked it up but it woke his local troops up !
This person could be on leave. Using up before losing it at year end? They might have an out of office but good policy is not to send these messages externally to avoid letting spammers know the email was valid.

How long ago did you email?
"Unsolicited?" Delivery - AlastairW
You havn't accidentally won a competition have you Hugo? A colleague won a high spec computer scanner from a website we use for information at work. The first he knew of it was when the scanner was delivered to the office.
have you ever ordered from them. A simple mistake could have been made and lack of response due to busy xmas period and staff leave.

Recorded delivery is not guaranteed to get a signature as I found and complained. The letter got there fine but no record.

Bet you get response after sales quiet down.
rjt70 - I answered your question.

I suspect I may get a response from them, my question is how long is a reasonable wait?

The way I see it is if the goods were genuinely unsolicited then I would inform them and after 30 days I can dispose of them, or not inform them and after 6 months I can dispose of them.

However, if they are not unsolicited, but delivered as a result of an error, what are my rights?

Also, if they are delivered in error but do not respond to my letters or e mails, at what point to they relinquish ownership of the goods (ie at what point can I stop tripping over them as I am having to store them safely)?

I have heard that there is no legal time period defined for this situation, but a court may look upon a week as being unreasonable to be able to dispose of the item but months may seem reasonable.

Is there any case law that would apply here?
I'm going home tomorrow (to check whether my house is still as it should be - like there) I'll be in the office Friday, unless you've had a response by then I'll research and ping you.
Thanks to both of you

PU you are a star - thank you!

rjt70 you too ;)
phone them and write with special delivery and say you are now charging storage (as your business name) and want reimbursing for time and postage and calls. Might get a response then.
Gonna lock this now but will copy over to here any responses Hugo.