I Have a Question - Volume 211 - Pugugly {P}

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 212 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details -
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 211. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18847

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 05/12/2007 at 18:46

Possible risk of my fridge catching fire. A recall - henry k
In case you missed the warning in the press earlier this week

From Danfoss ...there is a potential risk of fire in refrigerators and freezers produced in or before 1994.
This applies to ANY make of fridge that used their compressors.

See details
www.danfoss.com/United_Kingdom/Info/Compressor

Our old larder fridge (a Hotpoint) is affected and spares are in the post so an unexpected little task for you know who.
From what I read it if fairly unlikely in my case there will be a problem.

Anyone had a similar problem with their fridge? It is not something that I readily associate with house fires.

Possible risk of my fridge catching fire. A recall - mjm
I have dealt with Danfoss in a professional capacity and always found them to be a good, responsible company. We used to use their compressors but not the model with the apparant problem.

The parts which appear to be a possible cause of the problem are either the thermal overload, the starting relay or the plastic cover over them.
The former two items are current carrying items, and at a guess the plastic may be going brittle and increasing the chances of a short circuit.

It is therefore possible that overheating and a fire can result.

I have been working on refrigeration systems similar to this for about 15 years and have never seen it happen even during high stress testing.

I think Danfoss are being cautious and responsible.

Ironically, in my opinion, most other compressor manufacturers couldn't make one to last long enough to give this sort of ageing problem!
Pension Query - Dude - {P}

As I`m now due to retire shortly, please could someone advise me on the following query?

I currently have pension funds accrued with three separate companies and would like to know if I could remain with one company (Scottish Widows) where I have the benefit of a guaranteed annuity rate and then take the open market option with the other two companies (Equitable Life & Friends Provident)?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.
Pension Query - L'escargot
I can't answer your specific question(s), but there's a wealth of information available from HMRC. tinyurl.com/expz9 If you can find your way round their website there are lots of leaflets/booklets that they publish.

Whatever you do, make sure that you don't lose out because of it.
--
L\'escargot.
Pension Query - L'escargot
Lots of information by googling for "open market option". For example tinyurl.com/36mj7s
--
L\'escargot.
Early Mortgage Repayments - Penalties - Number_Cruncher
We are in the happy position of being able to make a payment that's a significant slice of our mortgage. However, we are in a fixed rate deal for another 18 months or so, and there are penalty charges. By making the payment we would save more in interest charges than the penalty, so, purely from a sums point of view, it makes sense to pay off the mortgage.

However, the gain isn't significant. Are there any longer term downsides to making the payment - will this affect our credit rating for example?

I can't trust any answer from the mortgage provider, because it's obviously in their best interests to keep the mortgage running for as long as possible, to make the most out of our interest payments.

Number_Cruncher
Early Mortgage Repayments - Penalties - jbif
so, purely from a sums point of view, it makes sense to pay off the mortgage.

What is the opportunity cost? Have you considered alternative investments which may yield far more than the interest cost of a fixed rate which probably was set at a time whne cheap mortgages weere easy to find but high rate returns were difficult to find?
If you can stomach the gamble of stock markets, go for high yielding stocks, or even possibly spread the net to UK quoted exposure to Indian and Chinese stocks for growth potential.
>>What is the opportunity cost?

Not something I've given a great amount of thought to. But, I know my own weaknesses, and I couldn't be sure that I would not squander the money rather than use it wisely in the meantime.

I think that it might be possible to find a suitable investment to make the repayment option actually make us worse off in total. However, this also relies upon us not using the money for something else - perhaps we might be able to lock it away in a bond though. In this case, I'm quite risk averse, we really couldn't afford to lose the money.

Number_Cruncher
Early Mortgage Repayments - Penalties - Manatee
Questions to ask yourself -

Is there an amount you can pay off without penalty?

Is the penalty worth worrying about anyway?

If you decide you don't want to pay the penalty, and want to invest, have you both used your ISA allowances? (and you'll get new allowances from 5 April)?

If you are very risk averse, look at National Savings - with an eye on RPI, they do an index linked 3 year certificate at 1.35% over RPI, tax free - quite attractive if you are higher rate taxpayers, with RPI at 4.2% (October).

Just ideas - I am not a real financial adviser!
Early Mortgage Repayments - Penalties - Armitage Shanks {p}
Could you not let the mortgage run for the remaining 18 months, therefore no penalties, but reduce the sum owed to a nominal,say £100 and keeo up the payments on that? In one place you say you can pay off a significant slice and in another you metion paying off the mortgage. Let it run to avoid penalty but reduce the amount on which you are paying interest I suggest. Perhaps any increase in payments triggers a penalty? I haven't had one for 15 years so I am out of touch on the devious ways of the moneymen!

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 02/12/2007 at 13:18

Early Mortgage Repayments - Penalties - cheddar
>>By making the payment we would save more in interest charges than the penalty,>>

Are you sure? What is your fixed deal, not more that 5- 6% surely, shop around and you can get nearly 6% on savings currently so better to put the lump sum on deposit, perhaps in a ISA and avoid the redemption penalty.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 02/12/2007 at 16:42

Early Mortgage Repayments - Penalties - Pugugly {P}
I was going to suggest an ISA
Early Mortgage Repayments - Penalties - cheddar

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 02/12/2007 at 16:42

Early Mortgage Repayments - Penalties - rtj70
Unless invested in a product that is exempt from tax, putting it in high rate savings might not yield the full 6%. I'm not expert.

I've he's risk averse then for an ISA does that not only leave mini cash ISA as others have some risks and therefore limit to how much can be paid in.

One thought which is a bit of a gamble but you get all your money back is premium bonds. There's an upper limit on what you can put in but with OP and partner they might be able to max out on bonds and "risk" winning upto £1m tax free ;-)
Early Mortgage Repayments - Penalties - hxj

First check your terms and conditions. Most mortgages allow you to make some repayments without a penalty, often 10% a year, given that you have 18 months to go you may have two such repayment opportunities.

Assuming that the 'we' are both taxpayers you are unlikely to make a significant enough return above that required to meet the mortgage interest, particularly given that the repayment option is zero risk. The Cash ISA option is limited to £3,000(?) capital a year.

It won't alter your credit rating.
Early Mortgage Repayments - Penalties - Martin Devon
I used to change my mortgage annually or indeed research the options. Inertia is now a disease that I have contracted, but in fairness the deal that I currently have is difficult to beat. What I would do, if you have a trustworthy broker, and one who has a bit of guts about him, (not just a run-of-the-mill wage/commission jockey) is to firstly explore the options from other lenders then using this info, if indeed it is any good, go back to your current lender and (politely) bend their ear about getting on a better, (flexible scheme) where overpayment does not attract penalties. If you can wangle this, and believe me it is possible then pay off your chosen surplus a.s.a.p. Investments are OK...if they work, but a crystal ball I know you don't have. Property, bought right has always come good if you stay in the game.

If you are like many people who maybe have a few bob suddenly the temptation is often to upgrade the car etc etc etc. DON'T DON'T DON'T. Chuck it at the mortgage and remove temptation and THEN sit back and plan, but DO NOT spend it for the sake of it....trust me..I know.

My broker seems to know people in all the mainstream banks etc. and sometimes it is only a phone call away. He has to date never cost me a penny in fees and I have never been ripped off. Clearly he gets his commission from them. I know I am paying somewhere, but you sometimes hear such horror stories re: fees.

Best of luck...........................Regards.....MD
Thanks all for your views and input - there's lots of food for thought there.

As you might imagine, I've put together a devilishly complex spreadsheet which allows me to test different repayment scenarios. As mentioned above, the vital point is the difference between the mortgage rate and the post-tax interest rate we could get.

Despite the obvious temptation of a Monaro, I do think the money will go into the mortgage - we can pay off 10% each year even during the fixed rate period, so I think that will definitely happen.

As the rates have been going up of late, I would be really surprised if we could negotiate a better deal at the moment.

Number_Cruncher

Early Mortgage Repayments - Penalties - wemyss
In my opinion forget the number crunching !! and pay off your mortgage.
You can make the figures work any way you want them to be but its nothing compared to the satisfaction of getting rid of a mortgage.
I did the same some 20 odd years ago when I came into a lump sum and paid every penny of it into my existing mortgage which finished it off.
Myself and co-workers did all those sums mentioned previously and not surprisingly found there was no definitive advantage either way as there was many future variables which couldn?t be calculated.
However it was simply a break time game. I had no intention other than paying off the mortgage purely for the feel good factor.

wemyss
Early Mortgage Repayments - Penalties - oilrag
It feels better in bed at night having put it into the mortgage and paid it off. My view was to use it like that before something else occurred to take it.

Never regretted that.

Regards

Early Mortgage Repayments - Penalties - Pugugly {P}
SWMBO would say always pay off your liabilities before considering investing elsewhere unless you can get a better and safe rate for your capital. (unlikely but possible) that's why we're mortgage free now.
Radio 4 Question - Pugugly {P}
Sad I know but |I need the answer !

Half listening to a radio programme in the car I heard mention of R4 programme this week about how books got their titles - DId anybody hear it and know the title d=so I can dig it out of Listen Again.
Radio 4 Question - Nsar
No idea but Front Row with Mark Lawson might be a start. \There are worse ways to waste your time.
Radio 4 Question - Round The Bend
PU let us know when you track it down. Sounds interesting.
Radio 4 Question - Round The Bend
Try this: "Art of Marketing Books"
www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/openbook/openbook.shtml

Radio 4 Question - RobertyBob
The book was called "Why not catch 21?".

But I can't remember the name of the programme.
Radio 4 Question - Baskerville
Strange though, Catch-22 was originally going to be Catch-18. Late in life Joseph Heller was asked why he had never repeated the brilliance of his first novel and he replied: "Who has?"
I'll have to fish that off the shelves to read....I'm sure there's a copy here somewhere. Just thinking though what a brilliant companion the web is to the radio......
Radio 4 Question - Martin Devon
Sad I know but |I need the answer !

Far from sad PU. R4 is a gem, an absolute gem.

VBR..........MD
Answer right on the nose. Thanks - doing a lot of Listening Again at the moment :=(
Word of Mouth 26.11.07 - just caught it on "Listen Again" before this week's episode overwrote it. Only found it thanks to IHAQ !
New digital camera ? - cheddar
Hello All,

I have worked in and around photography and am quite knowledgeable on this subject though would be interested in any experiences.

I am after a new compact digital camera, the main objective is something that is a little more compact than my nearly 4 years old Canon G5 though I want the same sort of control, I fully subscribe to the view that quality is not down to megapixels, rather it is down to the lens and the image processing. The 5MP G5 is superb, I have been sent larger files from recent DSLRs for business reasons and they are not significantly better. That being said and everything else being equal I would ideally go for a higher resolution camera, perhaps 10 to 12MP.

I er towards a Canon due to having had a good experience with the G5 though am open to suggestions, the newer G7 or G9 are a little smaller though (as the press are quite right to say) miss some of the features that made the early G series so good, multi-angle LCD, top panel display and most of all a fast lens, the G5 lens is F2.0, also the G7 does not handle RAW files as the G5 and G9 do. A couple of cons re the G5, the shutter delay can frustrate and occasionally the AF is slow.

These are on the list:
The 12.1MP A650IS, this has the multi-angle display as per the G5 though does not have dioptre viewfinder correction and it has had mixed reviews re noise.

The 7.1MP A570IS, this is nicely pocketable and in general offers the control though is not much of a step along from the G5. It is though great VFM and is well reviewed.

The 10MP Ixus900Ti or 12MP Ixus960IS, both works of art, pocketable well reviewed though lacking control and costing twice as much as the 570, also an Ixus70 might do the job, I don't like the 75, it does not have a viewfinder.

The Nikon P5100, it is lighter than the A650IS, though also has had mixed reviews.

Any experiences, thoughts and ideas?

Thanks.
New digital camera ? - FotheringtonThomas
I have just viewed an advertisement for a 10.1MP camera. The instruction manual, which gives details, is at:

tinyurl.com/2yhlln

It seems to be an update on my current camers, which is excellent!

I'd certainly review the specs, compare the price, and run down to the store to get one for a look (even if only to return it after testing!). Looks as though, based on my actual experience, that it'd be a better choice than the Ixus900Ti (SD900?) in terms of functionality.
New digital camera ? - Manatee
I suspect you have looked already, but I recommend www.dpreview.com for data and comparisons. The full reviews, where available give pretty objective information especially the sample shots. Unfortunately, given the frequency of new model introductions, you are lucky to find anyone with a particular camera you are considering. The A570is gets a great review and I can scarcely believe how good it looks for the price - shows how long it is since I bought a camera (all of 2 years).

Other things being equal, I find a bit extra zoom useful (crop in composition where possible and keep more pixels in the picture), and you obviously know the value of a bigger maximum aperture - less need of the higher sensitivities that tend to highlight noise from the small CCDs in compacts.

The 'Traveller' that Fotherington T highlights (Aldi, this week, £110) is I think similar to a Vivitar X60 which might lead you to a review somewhere. I wouldn't personally take it on trust that the spec tells the story though.

When you've cracked it let us know - I want a new pocketable camera up to c. £150 and I haven't time to do the research!
I recommend [...] for data and comparisons.

Cameras.co.uk may be worth a squint, too - however, all these sites seem to me rather po-faced, and no substitute for a "hands on" experience.

Other things being equal I find a bit extra zoom useful (crop in composition where
possible and keep more pixels in the picture)

It seems to me, from my fairly limited experience, that "digital zoom" is a waste of time compared to optical.
and you obviously know the value of
a bigger maximum aperture - less need of the higher sensitivities that tend to highlight
noise from the small CCDs in compacts.

See www.dpreview.com/news/0210/02100402sensorsizes.asp for some sensor sizes. 1/2.5" (A570) is rather small compared to many these days - look at the figures from that site, and you can see.

The 'Traveller' that Fotherington T highlights (Aldi this week £110) is I think similar to
a Vivitar X60 which might lead you to a review somewhere.

I think it's exactly the same camera, with a different name! It's quite new. My one is a Vivitar 8600 badged "Traveler", and is *old* - maybe a year! ;) I wish I had the later one, for no very good reason, though! The 3-year guarantee, and extras, are really worth having. It's a very good price - prices seem to've dropped by 1/3 in a year. Incredible. They say it's because people want mobile 'phones (ack, ptui!) to take their pictres on.

I wouldn't personally take it on trust that the spec tells the story though.

Neither would I - however, when buying a camera, specs. for any model are the first port of call, I think.

Other observations:

It's probably nice to have a camera that takes ordinary "domestic" "AA" or similar batteries - however, the square thing in my camera seems OK (it takes 1 hour to charge, & I've got two batteries, with a separate charger (mains or car), or charge in the camera. I haven't run out of charge yet, even taking 2GB of 30FPS video and a rake of stills. I have wondered about paying 15 squiddicks for a third battery - just in case - but have not, so far.

I don't rate a viewfinder on this sort of camera, with an LCD as well. The viewfinder is tiny, not easy to use, and detracts from the bigness of the LCD, and the layout of the controls. A friends Sony (something) has a viewfinder and an LCD screen - both very sub-optimal, IMO. It's a new camera, too. I'm quite shocked at what it is, for the price. I'd rather have my 2.8" LCD screen - you can adjust the brightness of it from "dim" (-5) to blazing (+5), which is useful and can (presumably) save the battery.

What was I going to say here? Oh yes - about MP. The "You only need 5MP" brigade, are, IMO, missing something. Often, when processing pictures, it's desirable to cut out a bit of it, and blow it up. MP count, then.

Going on the specs. is a good start. If you start to think "I'll only buy one of XXX makes", then - like car buying - it seems to me that possibilities may be missed.
FT wrote:
It seems to me from my fairly limited experience that "digital zoom" is a waste
of time compared to optical.

Quite. No use at all - you can chop pixels off when you get home. I meant optical zoom.
What was I going to say here? Oh yes - about MP. The "You only
need 5MP" brigade are IMO missing something. Often when processing pictures it's >>desirable to cut out a bit of it and blow it up. MP count then.

Exactly - but the extra optical zoom from say 4x to 6x will give you lots more pixels to start with. My 'pick up and go' camera is a Panasonic FZ20 with an image stabilised f2.8 (all focal lengths) 12x zoom - only 5Mp but I usually have most off those pixels left after the final crop. The main problems with this camera are intolerable noise at anything more than ISO200, and the fact that it won't go in a jacket pocket. So when Cheddar has cracked this I'd like to know!

Edited by Manatee on 04/12/2007 at 07:37

New digital camera ? - rtj70
"main problems with this camera are intolerable noise at anything more than ISO200"

Which is the argument against high MP and super zoom lenses on a compact. The only way they can pack the huge zoom in is with a tiny sensor resulting in noise. Some cameras can have some noise at ISO100! Or the camera removes noise and reduces image quality.

The reason digital SLR is good is the big sensor and corresponding big lenses. Even a cheap lens on a dSLR is better than most compacts. Trouble is for good zoom the lenses then get big and heavy.
Agreed rtj70. There's always a trade-off. For the FZ20 it's keeping to ISO200, occasionally ISO400 in good light for moving targets, and the fact that it's really not very compact. Plus points are carry one camera, no extra lenses, just a few batteries and a spare SD card.

But what price a 432mm f2.8 image stabilised lens for a full frame dslr, or even a 300mm f2.8 for the 24mm x 16mm frame dslr that I actually have?
>> The reason digital SLR is good is the big sensor and corresponding big lenses.

However, you won't get one for the price the OP mentioned, will you. I cannot see how you can legitimately compare the price and functionality of a £150 compact camera with a DSLR costing a lot more.

If you're going to compare Canon's G9, mentioned - a 12MP camera - has 1/1.7" CCD sensor. This is barely different from the sensor size on many other compact cameras, including the one from Vivitar. The G7 has the same sized CCD as the Vivitar one. The FZ20 actually has a *smaller* ccd than the G7!
The FZ20 actually has a *smaller* ccd than the G7!

Correct - about 1/2.5 inch IIRC. But that's why it can have a 12x f2.8 zoom 1.5" long! I'm not offering this camera as a solution, only to illustrate a point - it's not compact, it's obsolete, and it's only 5Mp - but the phenomenal lens (only possible because of the small CCD) means I get some great photographs, subject to its limitations. The successor FZ8 at £160 (a lot less than half what I paid for the FZ20) is a bargain that I would snap up tomorrow if I was in the market for that type of camera, but the Achilles heel of both is low light.
New digital camera ? - rtj70
I was not for a minute suggesting the OP gets a digital SLR ;-)

What's surprising about how things have moved on though... my first digital camera was a 2MP Canon S10 and it cost £350! You can get a digital SLR today for less than that sort of money now, e.g. a Nikon D40 with 18-55mm lens is about £290!
New digital camera ? - J Bonington Jagworth
"I don't rate a viewfinder on this sort of camera"

What do you do in bright sunlight, or when tracking a moving subject? It might not be often, but I wouldn't want to be without one.
What do you do in bright sunlight or when tracking a moving subject? It might
not be often but I wouldn't want to be without one.

Agree 100%
>> (viewfinders on compact cameras good)
Agree 100%

If I were you, I should not buy a compact digital camera, which is what you were talking about in your OP. Buy a bigger one, instead, and double (at least) your budget!
If I were you I should not buy a compact digital camera which is what
you were talking about in your OP. Buy a bigger one instead and double (at
least) your budget!

Why, you can have a camera with or without a viewfinder, take the Ixus 70 and 75, both IRO £140, very similar, the latter has a slightly bigger LCD, the former has a viewfinder and LCD, it is only the former that I would entertain.

Otherwise any camera with creative pretentions, an element of control, such as the also £140 ish A570IS should have a viewfinder by default, if it doesnt it is not really worth having IMO.
I disagree with a viewfinder on a cheap camera like this. You disagree and want one! No problem.

A quick look at reviews of this indicates that at least one reviewer says "the viewfinder on the IXUS 70 is so small and fiddly that it?s pretty much useless" (source: tinyurl.com/2e3vjt). I found the same to be true using a friend's Sony somethingorothersimilar with viewfinder.

This particular camera has rather a small CCD, compared with many, and low zoom capability (although better than none!) - also, it's only a P&S, with, for instance, no control over aperture or shutter speed at all.

I should have a squint down the thing before you buy. BestPricedBrands.co.uk have one at £113, free P&P.
I should have a squint down the thing before you buy. BestPricedBrands.co.uk have one at £113 free P&P.

Good prices! (though I have seen the 570IS cheaper) no confirmation that they are UK supplied stock though?
I wouldn'tve thought that any were made here - probably Chinese supplied.

BTW, the Sony with viewfinder was a Cybershot w35. The viewfinder is not very useful at all.

Edited by FotheringtonThomas on 05/12/2007 at 17:10

Absolutely. You get a smaller LCD, the control layout is not so good, and the viewfinder is tiny and ineffectual.

What do you do in bright sunlight or when tracking a moving subject?

Turn the brightness up on the LCD, of course!

It might not be often but I wouldn't want to be without one.

Reverse that. For the vast majority of photos., using a big LCD screen is far better than having a camera with a less than optimal control setup, and a tiny viewfinder that is hardly ever used anyway.

P.S. try tracking a moving subject through a tiny viewfinder, whilst groping for buttons!

Edited by FotheringtonThomas on 05/12/2007 at 15:36

and a tiny
viewfinder that is hardly ever used anyway.

I use the viewfinder 75% of the time, the dioptre correction helps, though I would miss the multiangle LCD, it is great on occasions.
New digital camera ? - billy25
>>What do you do in bright sunlight,<<

My old but fully functional Sony floppy disc digital camera has no view finder and is almost impossible to use in sunshine, i got around this in best Heath-Robinson fashion by cutting off a piece of square plastic cable conduit and gluing it to the camera to act as a viewfinder - ok, its got no lenses or glass in, but at least you can see and capture your subject accurately enough to get a decently framed photograph!

Billy

Edited by billy25 on 05/12/2007 at 15:38

"at least you can see and capture your subject accurately enough to get a decently framed photograph!"

I quite agree. All you really need is something to confirm that you are pointing the camera in the right direction. There are times, especially with close-ups, when the exact framing and focus matters more, but any viewfinder is better than none, IMHO.
Thanks all, I dont think i would entertains the Vivitar? produced Aldi camera.

The general view seems to be that the advantages of, say, a 12MP camera are out weighed by the cons, mainly that of noise, and what is demanded today is a lower pixel count compact with all of the contrability of a G9 or P5100 and even more features.

Well perhaps that is what the G5 I have already is, 5MP, really great quality at 100ISO and fine at ISO400, swivel LCD, dioptre corrected viewfinder, RAW handling, top panel display, very fast 4x optical zoom f2.0 -f3.0, and the battery lasts forever.

Perhaps things have not moved on so much due to the marketing driven pixel count chase.

Thinking about an A570IS or perhaps an Ixus75 to put in the pocket to supplement the G5 though not replace it.

EDIT: Ixus 70, not 75, the latter does not have an optical viewfinder.

Edited by cheddar on 04/12/2007 at 07:17

"A650IS"

That would be top of my short list - the 10Mp A640 is better in some ways, but the IS should more than compensate for any extra noise, and more zoom is always good. The swivel display is, as you already know, well worth having, but you will have to dispense with it if you want something more compact.

The 570 and 710/20 IS's are also good, and usefully smaller. I use a 710 at work, and it's a brilliant package, although left to my own devices, I tend to revert to my own A620, as I like the extra 'heft' and the swivel LCD.

I would also consider the Fuji F-series for their low-light ability, although the lack of a viewfinder has put me off so far. I also prefer cameras that use AA's, as I've always got some charged up somewhere!

At the back of my mind is the thought that, even now, few compact cameras are as good as what you already have. How about a G6? :-)

Edited by J Bonington Jagworth on 04/12/2007 at 22:49

How about a G6? :-)

Fair point!

G5s and G6s go for a lot second hand, the G6 is shorter though just as chunky, similar spec though 7.1MP, same lens, main difference being that the battery needs to be removed to be charged where as the G5 can just be plugged in, that being said I have a charger for the BP 511 type battery. Also the G6 is silver and I prefer the black of the G5, 7 and 9.
"I prefer the black"

I know what you mean. I take some pictures of shiny equipment with glass and stainless steel, and have to be very careful not to photograph a reflection of the camera. Unfortunately, even the black ones usually sport some chrome...
Further thoughts. If you're keeping the G5, something pocketable seems sensible (what you said, more or less) and the A720IS should fit the bill. The 570 is quite a bargain*, but has less zoom and, it would appear, slightly more noise. If size *really* matters, then consider a Casio - I think they still do one with a viewfinder, and their response speeds are astonishing.

*Although the A720IS is available for under $200 in the US - grrr!
DVD Recorders -- again - helicopter
Following on from my request for DVD recorder recommendations in the previous IHAQ and the kind assistance of Stuartli and others , SWMBO and I had look at the HUMAX recorder which was recommended in our local branch of Currys at the weekend.

SWMBO has now decided that she wants a bit more than the Humax can offer.

What she wants is a hard drive recorder with a separate player so that we can burn from the recorder onto disc without having to download to the computer and then burn a disc.

Our existing disc player can then be used with our other TV .

It must have the capability of recording Freeview and she wants to be able to watch one Freeview channel whilst recording another.

We did have a look at others in Currys and in the local Sony Centre and Panasonic shops but were getting a bit confused and we were looking at £5-600 recorder / players to meet her requirements.

I then had to drag her away from the 50 inch HD Sony and the Home Cinema TV and recorder packages at £5 k + ....

Whilst price is not so much a problem, I still like to get other opinions and advice before I buy so I thought I'd ask again.

Any recommendations ?

DVD Recorders -- again - SpamCan61 {P}
I'm not aware of any combined PVR/DVD recorder units other than in the 500-600 quid bracket, whcih are presumably the ones you saw in the Sony & Panansonic shops, for some reason this isn't a popular combination.

Edited by SpamCan61 {P} on 03/12/2007 at 13:08

DVD Recorders -- again - adverse camber
I think most people only record in order to watch later in which case a hard drive unit is great and you get loads on a hd.

Of course if swmbo is thinking of HD then you'll need to replace all of this next year anyway...

I would go with the pvr for the moment. Once HD gets established look at this stuff again.
DVD Recorders -- again - geoff1248
I dismissed the Humax because of many reports of a noisy cooling fan and went for the Daewoo 9503 twin tuner. OK maybe it doesn't have the facility to record onto a DVD but the TV has a computer connection which allows us to use this connection to burn from the tuner to DVD via the laptop.
DVD Recorders -- again - nick
Just bought a Sony RDRHXD970 from Amazon for £269.50 delivered. 250GB, does everything you want.
DVD Recorders -- again - nick
Only one digital tuner but if you have a digital telly or set-top box you can still watch one and record another. Can watch one and record another at the same time too (on the hard drive). Also record from video direct to dvd.

Edited by nick on 03/12/2007 at 16:21

DVD Recorders -- again - rtj70
I know what I am about to say does not answer the question exactly...

... looked at PVRs for ages and even got one but the signal was poor for us. All other TVs fine so got a refund.

Earlier this year got a Virgin Media V+ box (free install and no payment each month for me but it's changed) and by having V+ I get a discount on the other two VM boxes so save £10 per month!

But ...

- It can record two programmes and let you watch a third
- Can archive recorded shows to DVD whilst doing all of the above (two decoders) via the video SCART socket
- Does HD output via upscaling (max 1080i) and has limited HD content via e.g BBC HD

We're pleased with it.

The drawback with using a PVR with something like Sky/Virgin is the need to change channels on the set top box.
DVD Recorders -- again - adverse camber
I thought that the disadvantage to V+ or Sky+ was the subscription?
"I thought that the disadvantage to V+ or Sky+ was the subscription?"

It is... I pay too much. Broadband has always been very reliable since the good old 512Kb/s days and now it's eight times faster for basically the same price.

We have Sky Movies and Sport and all the channels (wish we could get rid) but the V+ box is very good if someone in the position to "upgrade".
DVD Recorders -- again - daveyjp
V+ is subscription free to anyone with full TV package (XL IIRC). Box and installation is currently half price - £75 until 12 December.
V+ used to be free to install, free for the box and the monthly fee was (and is for me) £10 but for that I get a discount of £10 per extra normal box. So I'm better off by £10 per month and I get V+.

Installation on the new deal is still £25 I think.
DVD Recorders -- again - smokie
Had V+ installed last week. I didn't want to pay £150 for installation but they wouldn't budge on it. So I called retentions and asked them what they could do for me., They reduced my monthly bill by £19, saving far in excess of the £150 over year 1. I now pay under £50 pm for XL TV (with HD), 20mb broadband and phone line which I don't think is too shabby.

This all happened before the half price installation was announced, but I called them after installaiton and they refunded half the cost.
DVD Recorders -- again - John R @ Work {P}
They may have sold out...
www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_4121.htm

Regards,
John R @ Work :¬)
Any Czech speakers? - bathtub tom
I've got to deliver a short speech to an audience, amongst who will be a a small group from the Czech republic. I was hoping to use the word "welcome" in Czech, but research has led to a baffling number of words:
vítán, vítaný
privítání, prijetí, uvítaní (the r should have a small v above)
privítat, vítat, uvítat.

Can anyone put me straight please on the correct word, and how to pronounce it?

Edited by bathtub tom on 03/12/2007 at 20:15

Any Czech speakers? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Have you looked at Babelfish? I am at work so can't/ am not allowed to download it. It might do the trick. Go to directory enquiries and ring the embassy or your local consul!
Any Czech speakers? - Pugugly {P}
www.mzv.cz/wwwo/default.asp?idj=1&amb=153
Any Czech speakers? - Big Bad Dave
I think it's the same as Polish - vitamy - pronounced veetamy

They might appreciate a more informal "ahoj" pronounced ahoy

Or just go for a simple Good Day - Dobry den, pronounced as read.
Any Czech speakers? - Cardew
Why don't you contact Tony Henry - the guy who sang the Croatia national anthem at Wembley - for an appropriate phrase.
Any Czech speakers? - Nsar
I'll try to rememeber to ask our au pair tonight
Any Czech speakers? - normd2
Just asked my Czech mate:

If it?s to say e.g. ?Welcome!? (in sense ?welcome to uk?), you?d say ?Vitejte!?, pronounced vee-tay-teh.

Any Czech speakers? - Nsar
Czech mate....boom boom!
Any Czech speakers? - bathtub tom
Many thanks everyone - Prozim???
House Selling "Blackmail" - geoff1248
All being well in the next few weeks I hope to be exchanging contracts on a new house. However I am trying to pre-empt a possible problem with our buyers. I understand that on his last house purchase on the day of contract exchange he refused to exchange contracts unless the sellers of the house he was buying reduced their price by £5k. The vendors agreed rather than loose their sale.
Now just in case he trys that trick again (perfectly legal) how do the BRs suggest I handle this. Call his bluff, agree to his demands or just walk away? Any advice most appreciated.
House Selling "Blackmail" - FotheringtonThomas
Now just in case (...) how do the BRs suggest I handle this.

Your solicitor will be able to advise on conditions of acceptance, etc.

If you have another buyer, I'd be inclined to sell to them instead.

Do you really know that the prospective buyer did this? How?
House Selling "Blackmail" - geoff1248
I don't have another buyer.
I know the buyer did this as we recently met the previous owners of the house he bought. Their solicitors told them that it was perfectly legal although reprehensible a sale is not completed until contracts are exchanged.
House Selling "Blackmail" - Manatee
Tell him in that case you're not prepared to sign a contract unless he pays £5,000 more and see how reasonable he thinks that is ;-)

Seriously, it depends how desperate you are (and you won't tell anybody else if you are) and how good you are at brinkmanship - even if you need to sell, you probably haven't much to lose by turning him down - it's a reasonable assumption he's trying it on, on the basis that he's already spent money getting to that stage, so presumably he's prepared to pay the STC price if it you don't budge.

If you feel more comfortable keeping a dialogue open than just saying no, you could always offer to leave the curtains (that you don't want anyway) or knock £500 off and take the curtains (which you really wanted to keep). For curtains substitute carpets/blinds/plants or whatever.

Personally I think I'd ask him if he thought I'd come up in the last bucket.
House Selling "Blackmail" - cheddar
The buyer may have thought he was in a very strong position last time around hence he bluffed £5k out of the sellers.

Make sure he does not think that he is in such a strong position this time, make him think he wants your house more than you want to sell it, perhaps make noises about others being interested, perhaps say to the estate agent something like - it is not the ideal time of year to proceed with a sale so therefore due to seasonal family commitments unless it goes through smoothly at the agreed price you are not interested in exchanging contracts and will risk loosing the sale. Make the agent work for you.
There is nothing to stop you writing various strictures into your acceptance of his offer. This is the first thing you should do if there's a possibility of "gazundering". You are forwarned, and therefore forarmed. **Discuss this with your solicitor**.
You can certainly convey that there'll be no tolerating any gazundering, which might pre-empt his game, but there's no contract until there's a contract - and that's the point at which it becomes a problem. Your solicitor will explain the legal position but he can't tell you what to do - they act on 'instructions' IIRC. ;-)
You can certainly convey that there'll be no tolerating any gazundering

You can do more than that. The OP should see his solicitor about it.
You can do more than that.

Do tell. I assume we are in England or Wales here?

>>The OP should see his solicitor about it.

Agreed - do not rely on legal advice from internet forums ;-)
House Selling "Blackmail" - cheddar
>>The OP should see his solicitor about it.
Agreed - do not rely on legal advice from internet forums ;-)

As the OP says "Their solicitors told them that it was perfectly legal although reprehensible a sale is not completed until contracts are exchanged. "

This is more a matter of bluff and counter bluff, who perceives they are in the strongest position, than a legal matter.
>> You can do more than that.
Do tell. I assume we are in England or Wales here?

Yes, England & Wales. The payment of a deposit at acceptance, or certainly before exchange, refundable either on completion, or in other stipulated circumstances. The appropriate details are for the solicitors to decide. There is of course no obligation for the buyer, or the seller, to go along with this - of course, a refusal would be telling.
House Selling "Blackmail" - ForumNeedsModerating
Presumably there is nothing wrong in you (or your solicitor) contacting the solicitor of the buyer of his house also & putting to them a hypothetical scenario: We are committed to selling our house & will not gazump or gazunder either party. However, if it did happen that any party altered the terms of their offer so as to endanger the chain, would you be prepared to make a similarly revised offer to your buyer - say, the initial gazunderer - and any sum rebated was passed to you. So, a zero sum game in other words.

I'm not sure about legal terms or niceties here, but your solicitor may be aware of (legal) mechanisms or attached conditions to contracts that allow a rebate of this kind.
House Selling "Blackmail" - jbif
The vendors agreed rather than loose[sic] their sale.

This kind of situation will become more common in the coming months as the housing market is now undergoing a rapid price correction downwards. Today, there are warnings in the newspapers about negative equity making a reappearance.

House Selling "Blackmail" - Martin Devon
Do as I do. Get a Mate to offer on the property and don't tell anyone including his and your Missus if there's a chance they can't keep their gobs shut. Competition, however spurious nearly always works, but you will have to tailor it to suit yourself. If the chap is going to pull this legitimate stunt and I don't blame him, the get your retaliation in place first. It ain't Rocket science, but can't be done half baked if you want to convince.

For the record. Although I don't blame him for trying, if indeed he does, I always go the other way, if you'll pardon the expression. I make my offer and there it stands come hell or high water. We got Gazumped in '93 on a cottage that I had fallen in love with...AAAAAAAAAAAAH! I twitched a bit and her behind the doors told them to flock.... Feisty Cow when it counts.

Good luck.........MD
House Selling "Blackmail" - Martin Devon
I meant THEN get your retaliation in first.

MD
House Selling "Blackmail" - Pugugly {P}
That sounds like Llap-Goch the ancient art of Welsh Self Defence as described by Monty Python many years ago.
Llap-Goch

Crikey. The "Brand New Papperbok", or something?

www.llapgoch.org.uk
House Selling "Blackmail" - nick
>> Llap-Goch
Crikey. The "Brand New Papperbok" or something?
www.llapgoch.org.uk

Wasn't it in the 'Big Red Book', which was white?
House Selling "Blackmail" - helicopter
Difficult situation. Solicitor or estate agent ( spits ) may be able to help with concrete suggestions. They must have come across this type before.

Personally I'd tell anyone who tried that on me to go swivel..... and let it fall through. Its despicable in my opinion.

But its up to you and your circumstances . You have probably spent a fair bit to get this far which you do not want to lose.

Do you know if your buyer is selling another house to buy yours.

As no contract exists at the moment so again, depending on your circumstances why not put the pressure on . As Martin Devons suggestion ,you contact your buyer and say that you have another offer and have decided decided not to sell to him unless he pays you another 10 K and see what happens.

If this fails , I would also tend to try going up and down the chain and find all the other buyers and sellers and tell them of this buyers past record , being careful of slander and giving only facts that can be proved .

Notify them that if he tries to amend the price you will not proceed with the sale so they will know name and contact details of the person who is responsible for the collapse...
Format of estate agent's sales brochure - L'escargot
Our estate agent is going to change the format of the sales brochure for our house. The descriptions of the rooms are going to be removed and all that will remain will be room sizes, photographs, and floor plans.

They said they have done a survey and this is what house-hunters want to see in a brochure, and that they don't want descriptions of rooms. I disagree on the basis that before I ask for a viewing (particularly if the property is miles away) I want to know everything I can find out about the features of the property. If a property doesn't have the features we require we won't bother to view it and I feel most potential viewers will think similarly.

What are your opinions on this?

--
L\'escargot.
Format of estate agent's sales brochure - ForumNeedsModerating
It looks like the EA is creating a false dilemna. Why not have both? Every bit of information is interesting. It's only fairly recently it seems, that EA's have put plan (and or elevation) info in house detail packs - it seems like sheer laziness then to then omit the less 'scientific' descriptive side. Why on earth remove information already compiled - to save paper?

Consider an alternative EA.

Format of estate agent's sales brochure - L'escargot
Why on earth remove information already
compiled - to save paper?

They said their survey revealed that househunters didn't want to read descriptions. How can anyone not want a description, for example, of what is in a fitted kitchen?
Consider an alternative EA.

We're certainly considering changing agents.

--
L\'escargot.
Format of estate agent's sales brochure - billy25
There is an Estate agent hereabouts that film the property room by room on a hand-held camcorder and focus on "any features", then burn it to DVD and this is then given out in accompniment to a basic paper brochure, almost like a virtual viewing of the property without having to leave home.

Billy
Format of estate agent's sales brochure - SpamCan61 {P}
Sounds very useful for potential burglars...
Format of estate agent's sales brochure - billy25
No worse imo than a sales feature on a property in the local paper, "Professional scrotes" can tell alot about what a house may contain by a simple "living-room" photo.

Billy
Format of estate agent's sales brochure - Mapmaker
I'm with the EA. A good floorplan is instantly absorbed by the mind; waffly estate agent blurb with room sizes requires you to sit down and generate a floorplan yourself!

And do you really buy a house on the basis of whether there is a radiator in the hall.
Format of estate agent's sales brochure - Altea Ego
basis that before I ask for a viewing (particularly if the property is miles away)
I want to know everything

You are unusual. Most people when buying, choose an area first on the basis of desirability, convenience or price. The they look at house in that area.

Nothing therefore is "miles away" becuase you will alway be hunting in that area.

Most EA now do descriptions, photos (of rooms as well) and floor plans
------
< Ulla>
Format of estate agent's sales brochure - daveyjp
No lengthy descriptions for me - most of it is BS anyway., A photo says much more. If I see a white kitchen I look for something else!
Format of estate agent's sales brochure - adverse camber
I think that given house prices these days are silly in proportion to the build/fittings cost then the 'features' are fairly irrelevant and may even put people off. What are 'features' anyway?

If I'm buying a house for £400K I dont care about the number of sockets or fitted carpets etc. I am interested in where the houe is, what the construction is and what the room sizes and layouts are.