What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Bank charge prob - Pugugly {P}
www.moneysavingexpert.com/?gclid=CP6u1_T3jo8CFRRmE...Q

Have a look in here they have a forum, obviously not as well moderated as this one :-), but very informative.
Bank charge prob - billy25
Cheers PU,
will give it a fine toothcombing later, seem to think it was on this site or one similar that i read about the S.S.A 1992 loophole, that effectively by-passes the "stall" of the test case.

I can mention the above act in any letters of course, but i would really like to point them directly to the relavent section, to (try to) limit thier arguing powers.

Thanks
Billy
Is it a real Bank or one of these virtual ones ?

If its a real one might be worth a visit to the Branch first to explain the problem, depending what Bank you're talking to they are quite likely to be sympathetic given the circumstances. There are plenty of "advocate" groups in this situation who will be willing to help, a number have a lot of expertise and have professionals working for them (on a voluntary basis). Its a bit of a Postcode Lottery but you never know your luck.

Not sure of the specifics of the Act you mention but if I get time I'll have a trawl tomorrow in work.

just found this:-

www.uk-legislation.hmso.gov.uk/acts/acts1992/ukpga...1
not read it yet though.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 14/10/2007 at 20:10

Just had a thought:

Similar situation dealt with by a family I know, they ended up clubbing together to pay £500 into an account so that the person in question had a safety net in his account to avoid going overdrawn - needs discipline by the account holder but can be done.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 14/10/2007 at 21:24

Bank charge prob - PoloGirl
At the back of my mind is something that I've heard of where, even if your account is overdrawn, people in the situation you describe can specify how they want a deposit into the account to be used (to pay rent for example). I can't think what it's called though - appropriate something....

I'll come back :)

ETA:

boards.thisismoney.co.uk/tim/threadnonInd.jsp?foru...2

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=269...s (Page 5 has the best info on)

First right of appropriation is what I'm thinking of. It may or may not work in this case. Good luck!

Edited by PoloGirl on 14/10/2007 at 21:43

Bank charge prob - billy25
Hi Folks,
Thanks for your replies and links, plenty there for us to look at!
After reading a few of them, we are going to try and set him up with a very basic account, with a bank that is not incestuously related to the NW, or RBS, and arrange for the DWP to pay into it.
This should allow him full access to his pennies, (providing he leaves at least £5 in each fortnight) and his overdraft with N.W should then become ?just another debt? which he can arrange to pay off at £xx p/mnth for now.
At least then if he isn?t incurring charges on his ?new? account, he should be able to withdraw all his benefits, and start to pay some bills.
The letter P.G refers to is called ? first right of Appropriation? in which you have to send a letter to the bank at least 7 days before each expected DWP payment, in this we must specify the day and date of expected payment, and a detailed breakdown of each of the ?causes? we have ?Appropriated? the money for. We must do this every week, in an attempt to safeguard each benefit payment; hopefully we should only need to do this until the bank account transfer arrangements are effected.
We will in the meantime try to persue reclamation of unlawful charges from N.W in a civilised manner.
Please keep your ideas coming, as all help will be gratefully received, this is going to be a long road (motoring link!) and we will need it.

Sincere thanks

Billy + Brother

Edited by billy25 on 15/10/2007 at 02:44