What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Is this too good to be true (i.e. a scam?) - GT
Chap selling a 2006 AUDI A4 AVANT S LINE QUATTRO 3.0TDI AUTOMATIC for less than £13k. I answered ("email the seller") his AutoTrader ad and he has replied that he's in Austria (business went bust) and can't get any price for a r-h drive car from local dealers. He suggests we use eBay's purchase protection - don't know how eBay has come into it since I saw the ad on Auto Trader (thoough it has now disappeared). He assures me I'm fully protected and if I don't like the car after he's shipped it to me, then he will ship it back and I just get my money back from eBay. He wants my complete name, eBay user ID and email address registered with eBay so he can set up the transaction.

Is this a scam? Parker's Guide suggests the car is worth £24k privately. I can't see the car listed in eBay - I would have assumed the buyer only gets eBay's protection (up to £13k??) if you buy an item listed in eBay, otherwise how would eBay get its cut from the seller?

Is this a well-worn scam?
Is this too good to be true (i.e. a scam?) - Shaz {p}
Dodgier than the dodgiest thing you can think of.
Is this too good to be true (i.e. a scam?) - adverse camber
Can I interest you in a bridge I have for sale?
Is this too good to be true (i.e. a scam?) - Chris S
Ask him why he put the car on Auto-Trader and not ebay.
Is this too good to be true (i.e. a scam?) - Chris S
And I can't see ebay making a refund on goods that aren't purchased through their site - they wouldn't be liable for the loss.

Is the seller also trying to move money out of Nigeria? (giving you a percentage of it of course)
Is this too good to be true (i.e. a scam?) - normd2
if he's prepared to pay for the car to be returned to him if you don't like it why not ask him for a return flight to Austria instead so you can view it at no risk to yourself? If it's kosher drive it home if not fly home.
Is this too good to be true (i.e. a scam?) - rtj70
Well just in case you're at risk of losing £13k (presumably you will pay via PayPal before he ships) then send me only £5k and I'll not send you the A4 either. But I'm saving you £8k for not sending it. Bargain?

If you've seen this then it's a scam looking for someone gullible and greedy enough to fall for it. Someone probably will :-(
"can't get any price for a r-h drive car from local dealers"

If I needed the money and a RH drive car like this goes for £24k in the UK and he cannot sell in Austria (I know it's a scam) then you drive said car to the UK and get it sold. Selling for £13k and shipping it would be stupid. Even the cost of driving it here and selling for only £15k is more money.

As I say below I will take £5k not to send you the car ;-) And I'll throw in not sending a new iPod Touch for that five grand.
Is this too good to be true (i.e. a scam?) - madf
If you use Paypal to pay him and he has certain ebay status you will be protected for £500 of loss IF it is for sale on ebay. As of course it's not advertised on ebay, you are not covered..

I can't really believe your post is serious cos it's an obvious scam .. and you must know that. So I assume this is a windup.
madf
Is this too good to be true (i.e. a scam?) - DP
My wise old grandfather once told me "if it looks too good to be true, then it will be!". I have never managed to prove him wrong.

Run away. Quickly.
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
Is this too good to be true (i.e. a scam?) - local yokel
I had a guy offer me £3,400 for a Fiat Uni worth £300. He even sent me a draft for the amount, which was posted in the UK. But he was called Mr Charles and lived in Nigeria. The draft was a good fake drawn on an Irish bank.

I gave him the run around for about a week, and even got his assistant to call at Leytonstone police station to get the £3,100 change from the deal. I quite enjoyed it. Mr Charles was cross though, and I expect Mrs Charles was too. No foreign cruise for her that month.
Actually, I DIDN'T post this as a windup. There's no way I would have bought this without all the usual checks like - um - seeing it and driving it for a start. Oh yes, and checking the reg, VIN, HPI, etc... What I was really wondering was if RH-drive cars were really discounted 50% abroad - but I think I get the gist now that this is a well-worn scam routine.
"What I was really wondering was if RH-drive cars were really discounted 50% abroad"

Why would anyone accept 10 grand less for a car even if RH drive? LH drives do not go for such a discount in the UK. You sure this isn't a wind-up ;-) If you couldn't sell a RHD in Europe you'd bring it back to UK/Ireland for a sale. You obviously do not buy a RHD in Austria for use in Austria.

As for the other question about PayPal and the £500 guarantee... for anything expensive you should wait for the money to clear before you release the goods. So probably will use something outside of PayPal, e.g. go to the bank and get the cash paid in.
If eBay only covers £500 of loss, why would anyone want to buy a car on eBay then? Or anything else >£500 for that matter?
Is this too good to be true (i.e. a scam?) - bell boy
good point GT the last item i bought on ebay was a rear light lens and rather than pay the £10 poatage fee i drove to darkest wales to collect it personally from a breakers,it was £145 from the dealers though and i paid £15 for it plus £30 petrol ish and had a nice day out (apart from the rain obviously and truthfully)
Is this too good to be true (i.e. a scam?) - zm
1000% Certain that it is a scam!
Is this too good to be true (i.e. a scam?) - Peter D
Yep a Scam saw this a couple of years ago when a Lass had returned to Italy in her RHD Golf 130PD TDI and could not sell it there so was offering it for £7,500 and would ship it to the UK for a docks pick. Same story about refunds and returns. Shortly after this a guy I used to work with followed one of these deals through for Merc and without seeking advice and he never saw his money again or the car. Regards Peter
There goes my reduced scam offer of only robbing the poster of £5k ;-) You could have kept quiet.

Still think it's either a wind-up post or the average intelligence has gone down... how can you not see this as not a scam? Greed?
Is this too good to be true (i.e. a scam?) - Lou_O
1000% Certain that it is a scam!

The internet is full of them, for example:

southampton.gumtree.com/southampton/95/12425195.ht...l

Cheers,

L
Is this too good to be true (i.e. a scam?) - Nsar
I have several Armani suits that I cannot take back to Italy because of customs so I am driving round this motorway service station car park in a 10 year old Fiesta trying to sell them. I give you nice price.

whether its a wind up post or not you will always find gullible gready people out there if its your forte to find and rip them
how many overpriced cars are sold every single day because people spend up to their budget
Is this too good to be true (i.e. a scam?) - Lud
That was you was it Nsar? Driving what looked like a hired Golf that time.

It was only 50 quid so I didn't mind it not being Armani, and it sort of fitted.

But the trousers came to pieces the first time they were cleaned and you can't get the smell of sweat out of a coat made of recycled plastic bags.

And blow me down if I didn't meet you again a few months ago! You came on with the same hustle too. 'Can you tell me the way to Heathrow' indeed! And when I said: 'You're going to try and sell me a suit. Look, you sold me this coat,' you had the cheek to cast doubt on my word!

Stay out of Notting Hill if you know what's good for you.... :o}
he sold me a watch and the hands go backwards :-(
signed.
.............very upset of yorkshire
Is this too good to be true (i.e. a scam?) - Mapmaker
But what if it's not a scam. It just might not be a scam. He'd be silly to pass up on the chance to get a car for half price just because he didn't want to send £13,000 to smoebody he didn't know and had never met, in exchange for a car that might or might not arrive...

Is this too good to be true (i.e. a scam?) - madf
"He'd be silly to pass up on the chance to ..."

yes right.

I'll save him the time and bother of checking it out. I'll even guarantee to get it cheaper. Just send me only £10,000 and give me the remaining £2,000 when I give you the car.
My address is:
Theresamugborn everyminit
Stealit Road
Roundthe bend
Liverpool.

See : I'm saving you £1,000 of the £13,000 and I'm trusting you to give me the final £2,000 when I give you the car. Totally fair and honest.

madf
Is this too good to be true (i.e. a scam?) - Mapmaker
But it's too good to be true, so it must be worth risking £13,000? He'd be stupid not to risk it.
madf I have already offered to save him £8000 for not providing the car by asking only £5000. You're simply trying to rip him off :-)
Is this too good to be true (i.e. a scam?) - Lou_O
madf I have already offered to save him £8000 for not providing the car by
asking only £5000. You're simply trying to rip him off :-)

In the spirit of competitive capitalism I'll guarantee not to supply the car for the rock bottom price of £1, a saving of well over £23k, I'll even not throw in a tank of fuel and 12m tax.

Unbeatable.

L
I'll do it for 75p and still not give the iPod. I will also not (due to the competition) give fuel for life. No need to say who's life as it's not actually included.
Is this too good to be true (i.e. a scam?) - David K
Hi..........it most certainly is. I've recently been scouring the Autotrader for a 'bargain' and thought I'd spotted four crackers.
I replied to the e-mails, and below are the responses I got for four different vehicles.
I'll let you be the judge if something smells 'fishy'!..........................

1) Thank you for email and the car is still available. I'm in Prague, Czech Republic and the car is here too. The price for 2005 Mercedes-Benz E320 CDI Avantgarde Automatic is £10,200, delivery taxes to the UK included. The shipping will take 5 days and the car will be delivered to your home.
It's a UK car with full UK specs (right-hand drive), 15,450 miles, very clean car in and out, no damage, no scratches or dents on paintwork, no rips or burns on interior. There is no outstanding finance and the car has never been involved in any accident.
The payment will be sent using ebay's vehicle purchase protection and refund programme. You will have 7 days to inspect the car and the documents before ebay will release your payment to me.
Please reply asap if you have the intention of purchasing this car.

Regards

2)It's still for sale. I must apologise for the delay in response, but I'm literally overwhelmed by the amount of interest. I have recently relocated to Austria for business. The Audi is here as well. I can and will arrange transportation to UK.

As you probably noticed, the price is rather low. But since it's a right hand drive car, not even a dealer will offer me a better price here. The fact that it's still UK registered did not help either. Genuine reason for sale: my business didn't work out the way I planned. Due to amount involved, I only accept bank transfers or third party transaction mediator.

I am the registered keeper and there is no outstanding finance on the vehicle. The car is in excellent condition, the bodywork is immaculate, no scratches, dents or hidden defects as well as the interior in excellent non-smoking condition. I am willing to let the 2006 AUDI A4 S LINE QUATTRO go for £ 12,720 GBP.

Please get back to me and let me know if you wish to proceed on this basis.
Cheers!
Nicholas.

3) The Mercedes E320 CDi is still for sale. A great car, never implied in any accident, in excellent condition with full service history. My job put me on the way to England and I purchased this car there. Now I have to sell it as I've got back home in Czech Republic. The car is here as well. The final price is £ 8,650 + shipping to your door. For an accurate shipping cost please include your shipping address in your next email.

As you probably noticed, the price is rather low. But since it's a right hand drive car, not even a dealer will offer me a better price here. The fact that it's still UK registered did not help either.

I am the registered keeper and there is no outstanding finance on the vehicle. The car is in excellent condition, the bodywork is immaculate, no scratches, dents or hidden defects as well as the interior in excellent non-smoking condition.

Due to amount involved and due the fact I am not located in United Kingdom, I only accept third party transaction mediator. All documents, including V5 log book on your name will be provided along with the car.

Please email me soon if you want to move forward and let me know if you need anything else.

All the best!

4) The Mercedes E320 is in perfect working condition. It's in showroom condition, no scratches, no dents, accident-free ,full service history, HPI clear ,no outstanding finance.
I have recently relocated in Budapest, Hungary for business. The car is here as well. I can and will arrange transportation to UK .
It still has UK registration, because I didn't paid for Hungary import. The car meets United Kingdom DOT and EPA guidelines so there will be no problems regarding UK Customs policy on receiving the car .You will receive the original invoice, logbook, keys and all the documents to register it into your name .
Genuine reason for sale: my business didn't work out the way I planned.
The sale will be through eBay, meaning that they will hold and insure your money until receipt of the vehicle in good condition. You will be given a 7 days inspection period before releasing the payment. The inspection period is starting from the day you will receive the vehicle.
Final price is 7,600.00 GBP (this price includes the shipping and insurance).
If you wish to purchase it please provide me your full name and ebay ID so I can initiate the deal through ebay. I hope we can do business together.
Best Regards,Alain Godefroy
how many people are going to screw grandmars inheritance on those crackers eh?
Is this too good to be true (i.e. a scam?) - bathtub tom
Is this like the watch Jasper Carrot bought on a Spanish beach at midday?
He later found it only had one hand.
think that was jimmy jewel and hilda baker in the pickle factory ;-)
DavidK - your reply is just about the only useful one (the others were largely a waste of time). Your 2nd example is the same one I had - word for word, from "Nicholas". I wrote asking him to send me scanned images of the registration document, maintenance book showing dealer stamps, his passport, the tax disc, original purchase invoice, service receipts etc... I also said I would fly over to Austria to see the car. To all of which he replied I must be joking! Interestingly, the registration number (he sent me photos) checks out as far as correct model of car is concerned so does the scam simply involve photographing someone else's car?
Is this too good to be true (i.e. a scam?) - local yokel
The pictures will have been lifted from another website such as AT, Pistonheads, Ebay etc.
Is this too good to be true (i.e. a scam?) - David K
Hi GT,

I have to say that you went one step further than me with your enquiry, I never contacted the advertiser. With the first reply I got I couldn't be 'bothered' with importing a vehicle so didn't proceed....I'd missed the possibility it was a scam.
By the second and third the penny had well and truly dropped.

Two of these were from Autotrader and two from E-bay. When I look back at the adverts the common thread is that each one invites you to 'contact the seller by e-mail before bidding or offering to purchase' indicating his focus is on operating outside of any protection schemes.
On e-bay, the car allows bids to be placed, then suddenly is withdrawn before its closing date.

Perhaps some poor sole has fallen for this, it must be worth doing it for the criminal. Would be nice to have £15k to follow this trail and see where it gets me, ideally with police suport!

In the mean time, I'll have to keep trawling the autotrader for that mythical bargain...low mileage, prestige car being sold by a couple having an acrimonious divorce and spitefully selling off their assets.

One day, it'll be out there...

David K
Is this too good to be true (i.e. a scam?) - GregSwain
Perhaps some poor sole has fallen for this

All sounds a bit fishy to me ;-)
Is this too good to be true (i.e. a scam?) - Baskerville
Stay out of Notting Hill if you know what's good for you.... :o}

I've been staying away from London ever since I read this:

"London, that great cesspool into which all the loungers and idlers of the Empire are irresistibly drained."

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle certainly knew a thing or two.
Is this too good to be true (i.e. a scam?) - Tornadorot
"London that great cesspool into which all the loungers and idlers of the Empire are
irresistibly drained."

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle certainly knew a thing or two.

He didn't think much of Dundee either :-)
(was on Radio 4's Book of the Week this morning).
Is this too good to be true (i.e. a scam?) - Leif
He didn't think much of Dundee either :-)
(was on Radio 4's Book of the Week this morning).

Not bad for a corpse.
Is this too good to be true (i.e. a scam?) - Lud
Like many novelists Conan Doyle was prone to exaggeration. Surely the British Empire could boast of more than eight million or so loungers and idlers? And what did the man have against these agreeable categories anyway?

I think you would be safe enough Baskerville now that the Empire has passed across the Atlantic and all that's left here is a Commonwealth. But London doesn't take kindly to pompous provinciality.