What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I Have a Question - Volume 195 - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 196 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 195. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18847

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Lidl and digital satellite receiver - Stuartli
normd2

The full kit at Lidl will include a Satellite Finder which can also be purchased separately for just £3.99.

Other Freesat offers:

tinyurl.com/2lobtv

Freesat viewing card for £20:

tinyurl.com/2thy7u

BBC and ITV Freesat information:

www.ukfree.tv/fullstory.php?storyid=1107051231
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Lidl and digital satellite receiver - normd2
thank-you Stuartli but I suspect I'll follow drbe's route and have it installed for £75 - especially as I've now got the details thanks to his instructions as to where to find it. The Dixon's stores up here shut down a while ago so they're off my radar....
Lidl and digital satellite receiver - Welliesorter
The Dixon's stores up here shut down a while ago so they're
off my radar....

Dixons only exists as a web site and in the name of the parent company (DSG). All the high street shops have been renamed to Currys.digital.
Cost of building an extension. - Martin Devon
Cost of Building an Extension - Mapmaker
Martin

As we're on the subject, can you explain to me why, when the cost of building is reputedly 100-150 psf (central London, highish spec), the cost of refurbishment of a Georgian townhouse house seems to come in closer to £200 psf.

Mapmaker. There are always situations where people think that the customer can afford more. I abandoned Greater London, (very west) in 1987 for reasons that will be obvious to anyone who now lives in or near a city and I haven't worked in London itself since a young man, but certain areas attract higher rates of pay and perceived values. A Georgian townhouse may be on three or more floors would it not, with perhaps diabolical parking! Costs certainly rise as the building does. My base price of £75.00. psf is just that for something, as I said, quite simple. Those that suggest £100.00. psf will be nearer the mark if one leaves the square and simple theme and it takes very little in the way of high quality materials and their application and change of mind/s/s/s to raise this figure to nearer your £200.00.

Best regards......MD
Cost of building an extension. - Altea Ego
"when the cost of building is reputedly 100-150 psf (central London, highish spec), the cost of refurbishment of a Georgian townhouse house seems to come in closer to £200 psf."

Yes lots of very good reasons. New build is relatively easy with standard off the shelf fittings and sizes (door openings, window openings, architrave and skirting boards etc)

Renovation is a whole new ball games. There is stripping, clearing, making good, obtaining old reclaimed materials, custom made things (doors, windows - you cant just slap in new standard plastic windows, local planning regulation wont allow) could be removal of hazardous substances. All manner of stuff that makes a renovation dearer and harder than a new build.

------------------------------
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Cost of building an extension - DSLRed
Just a note to say thanks to those that replied to my question in thread no 194 - I've ben working away for a couple of days so didn't have the time to respond before the thread was closed.

Things have moved on since - we have now seen an even better bungalow - still needs an extension ;-), but this time a lot smaller, and the whole house is much better laid out. And,
based on what you told me, I now know that it is well within budget.

Just have the frustration and uncertainty of waiting for our current house to sell now :(

New radio for my workshop - Aprilia
I like listening to the radio when I'm in my workshop, so when my trusty old workshop radio (a 30 year old Philips item) recently got broken I decided to treat myself to a replacement.
Browsing around Currys electrical store I came across a "Logik IR100 Internet Radio" for £50 and decided to buy it. It works wirelessly from a wireless broadband router.
After one week with this technological marvel I can only say that its probably the best £50 I've spent this year. Its well made and works superbly - I can listen to up to 5000 radio stations from around the world. It also receives 'Car Talk Radio' {Obligatory car-related theme} from the US NPR radio network - you might have heard it on holiday in the US. Personally I find they get on my nerves after 10 minutes (too much forced laughter).

Corrected Aprilia's typo (which he pointed out himself)in the subject line - PU

And shifted to IHAQ - PG

New radio for my workshop - L'escargot
It works wirelessly

If you'd said it was a "wireless" instead of the new-fangled term "radio" I would have known what you were talking about! ;-)
--
L'escargot.
New radio for my workshop - buzbee
I would not call a term (radio) first used in 1920, new fangled!

See www.answers.com/topic/radio?cat=health
New radio for my workshop - GregSwain
I would not call a term (radio) first used in 1920 new fangled!

I think there was an element of irony there. I must admit I was amused when Aprilia commented that this new radio, which works wirelessly, is a technological marvel! ;-)
Yes, its funny how we talk about 'wireless networks' and a 'wireless broadband' connection rather than 'radio broadband'. Its also strange that the 'radio signal' can come half way around the world via a cable, and the only 'radio' bit of it is the last few metres from my router to the 'radio' in my workshop!
New radio for my workshop - GregSwain
Incidentally, how do you overcome the security requirements of a wireless broadband router in order to access the network using a radio? It's not so much a radio as a glorified MP3 player than can decode streamed audio in real-time. And as aprilia says, the only "wireless" part is across the workshop!
New radio for my workshop - L'escargot
Just a joke, buzbee. And barely just apparently!
--
L\'escargot.
New radio for my workshop - Dalglish
.. Corrected Aprilia's typo (which he pointed out himself)in the subject line - PU

pu - has armitage been getting to you? flush him down the pan. you just carry on as before, moderators are there to upset people like shanks.

New radio for my workshop - Dalglish
.. Browsing around Currys electrical store I came across a "Logik IR100 Internet Radio" for £50 ...

aldi had a super-duper version of this last week for a similar price but with more features, i believe .

aldi had a super-duper version of this last week for a similar price but with
more features i believe .

LOL! After he saw mine, my son wanted one for his bedroom (to listen to US 'Rock stations') so we went to Aldi on Thursday to buy one of theirs at £65. The Aldi one also has an FM radio built in, but the sound quality and ergonomics are not a patch on the Logik one I got from Currys for £50. So the Aldi one went back this morning!
New radio for my workshop - Altea Ego
Damn the radio, what about the latest pirelli calendar?
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
New radio for my workshop - Welliesorter
Can these radios be used with the 'Listen Again' feature on the BBC web site or are they confined to streaming live programmes? I'd be very tempted if they can.

Incidentally, anyone considering buying one needs to be aware that by using them, you're constantly downloading data from the internet. This may matter if your ISP limits the amount that you're allowed to download, or charges extra if you go over a certain limit.
Can these radios be used with the 'Listen Again' feature on the BBC web site...

I believe I've answered my own question, so here's the answer for anyone else who wants to know (or correct me).

These radios get their station data from reciva.com. You can use the same web site for browsing internet radio on your PC. 'Listen again' programmes are available, but the choice is limited to a list of regular items (eg You and Yours, Today, Wake Up to Wogan) but not one-offs. The list is only a small subset of what's available on the BBC web site.

There is a My Streams feature that allows you to customise what's available to you. As I haven't registered with the site, I don't know exactly what this provides.
New radio for my workshop - SpamCan61 {P}
I had my eye on the IR100 when the price dropped to 70 quid, so snapped one up when they dropped further to 50. I've had it a couple of months now, and it's seen a lot of use - mine does have a slight case of the 'hum' problem, but most of my listening is via stereo headphones, so it doesn't bother me at all.

It's also rather useful to have access to the 45 GB / 12,000 MP3/WMAs on the upstairs PC via the Logik.

The 'my streams' feature allows you to listen to a station which is not in the Reciva database of 'radio' stations, provided you know the URL of the stream.

There's a site here with discussions of most of the 'features' of the Logik, along with photos of the thing in bits etc.

logikir100.tripod.com/Logik.htm
The 'my streams' feature allows you to listen to a station which is not in
the Reciva database of 'radio' stations provided you know the URL of the stream.

That's useful to know because it means you can have pretty much any programme from the BBC site, provided that you're willing to spend a few minutes faffing on the net first.

I'm more tempted to get one now.
I took the plunge and bought one in Currys today.

I haven't had much time to play with it yet, but it seems to work very well for the feature that I wanted.

I'd urge anyone who has one of these radios to register with Reciva.com. Copying and pasting the URLs of the individual programmes on the Radio 4 and BBC7 web sites into the 'My Streams' section of the Reciva web site causes them to appear, as if by magic, on the corresponding section of the radio's menu.

Not quite as adventurous as listening to the news from Uruguay, but very handy nonetheless.
Snorkel masks and Rain-X - Kevin
Washed the masks and snorkels today ready for upcoming hols.

I normally clean the inside of the masks each morning with a dab of toothpaste but I wondered if Rain-X would be an good.

Anyone tried it?

Kevin...
Snorkel masks and Rain-X - Stuartli
Isn't a tiny amount of washing up liquid often suggested for this purpose?
Snorkel masks and Rain-X - J Bonington Jagworth
I wouldn't use Rain-X on the inside, as its hydrophobic qualities make it more prone to misting (as I discovered some time ago with my motorbike helmet). It might help keep the outside cleaner, though...
Planning permission ~ extending a garage - L'escargot
It's become apparent that the major stumbling block to us moving house is finding one with a large enough garage. To increase our options we're considering the possibility of extending an existing garage. So .............. is it possible to apply for planning permission in advance of buying a property, and how long would it normally take to get a decision? Would basic details of the additional size be sufficient for an initial application/enquiry or would a full architects plan be required? Also, what would be the likely cost (per sq.ft of internal area) of extending the length of a tiled-roof single-width garage (including fitting a new 8' (2.4 m) wide up-and-over door) in, say, rural Lincolnshire?
--
L\'escargot.
Planning permission ~ extending a garage - daveyjp
First check if your development benefits from 'Permitted Development Rights' if it is no permission is required.

You can apply for permission on any property, you need to inform the owners in writing that you have done so. Decision will take at least 8 weeks. Information required depends on planning authority. Most will want a good idea of what is proposed which includes plans and elevations.
Planning permission ~ extending a garage - nick
Go here www.communities.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1144635 to get the planning guidance you need. You can download the booklet free. If not google for householder's planning guidance and you'll find websites from various councils.
I think you only need pp if the garage is attached to your house, or if more than 50%(?) of your plot will be covered, or if it's within so many metres of a road, or if it impinges on a neighbour's enjoyment of their property. If your plot doesn't infringe any of the above you can build as many garages or swimming pools you like, though there may be other restrictions I've not recalled. I've built a triple and a large single detatched in the past few years. They needed building control because of their size but not planning permission. But I do have a lot of land in a rural location with no near neighbours (in Lincolnshire too, where are you? I'm on the coast 'twixt Cleethorpes and Mablethorpe.)
Planning permission ~ extending a garage - Mapmaker
Give the local planning department a call - or better still, a visit. Take photographs and plans if possible. They will give you an indication if permission would be (a) likely, (b) in the balance, or (c) unlikely.

Planning permission ~ extending a garage - Group B
If a detached garage, the planning requirement depends on the criteria in Section B of the booklet Nick has posted a link to. However if it is within 5m of the house and exceeds 10m3 volume, it is classed as an extension to the house so comes under the Section A criteria.

Building Regs is not required if it is further than 1m from the boundary, or is under 30m2 floor area. But will still need to comply with Part P if it has an electricity supply.

Part of the planning application is an ownership certificate. If you are not the owner you have to notify the owner with a "Notice Number 1" at least 21 days before you submit the application to the local authority.

Definitely speak to the local planning department. They may be able to advise of any specific conditions on the original planning permission for the house in question, which could override the criteria in the booklet linked above. They may be able to give an indication of whether a planning application would be sucessful, but they can be very non-comittal and sometimes state "this is an informal response".

Do a rough plan yourself, they can be quite sketchy for an initial chat with the planners, but best if they are to scale. You do not need a fully qualified architect.

;o)
Sorry the 2nd paragraph should read:
Building Regs is not required if it is further than 1m from the boundary AND is under 30m2 floor area.

Think it needs it if its within 1m of the house also.
Planning permission ~ extending a garage - L'escargot
Thanks everyone, that's most helpful and I've sent off for the booklet.
--
L\'escargot.
Planning permission ~ extending a garage - wemyss
Rich..I seem to remember that if you are building over drains building regs also apply in whatever situation.
wemyss
Good point wemyss. Yes you supposed to apply for Building Regs approval for any new drainage.

If it is a public sewer, serving other properties on the street, I think you would need to get Building Regs approval to build over, and would also be required to apply for a "Building Over Agreement" with the water authority serving the particular area.

In terms of extending a detached garage which qualifies as exempt, over an existing *private* drain serving your own property only, I'm not sure if its required?
I'm sure some people would not bother making an application in this particular circumstance. It should still be carried out in accordance with good building practice and a responsible builder would check the condition before building over and take steps to ensure the drain was constructed/ protected from surcharge, as if it were going to be inspected by Building Control.
Digital SLR - johnny
When I moved from traditional SLR to digital compact, I found the half second delay between pressing the button and taking a picture rather irksome, as you lose the spontenaiety. Do digital SLRs do this as well?
Also has anyone tried a Pentax K110D or similar, they seem remarkably good value and you can use your old pentax k-mount lenses with them (up to a point).

Digital SLR - Stuartli
It can prove frustrating, but it seems DSLRs generally have a delay of a third of a second or less and also have a quicker startup and shot-to-shot capability as well - in fact some can take up to three frames or so a second.

Here's a Pentax User link:

www.pentaxuser.co.uk/pages/news/pentax_istd_spec.h...m
What's for you won't pass you by
Digital SLR - eProf
I've got a Nikon D70s which has no shutter delay and gives wonderful pictures! I chose ir because of its superb translation from the RGB of the sensor to Jpeg. I also have a high regard for Nikon lenses gained from a lifetime spent in televison, ending up as a Lighting Cameraman. (if anyone wants to know what eProf did in his yoof!)
--
e Prôf - Another Recycled Teenager
Digital SLR - GregSwain
I must admit Nikon make the best DSLRs, but someone like myself who's used Canon EOS cameras for a while would only consider buying a DSLR with the same lens mount as my current EOSs, which limits me to the 400D unless I want to part with serious money. Anyway, my Canon Powershot compact digicam has a very short delay which isn't noticeable enough so as to be annoying - I find using red-eye reduction vastly increases the delay - maybe OP currently uses camera with RER on?
Digital SLR - FotheringtonThomas
When I moved from traditional SLR to digital compact I found the half second delay
between pressing the button and taking a picture rather irksome

What on earth did you get? I have a compact camera (a "traveler dc-86008.1 P" from Aldi, of all things) and there's no discernable shutter lag time, let alone half a second! It takes very good pictures, too, and has lots and lots of features.
Digital SLR - Stuartli
Now I think about it, the impression of a long delay just might arise from the camera writing to the memory card after taking a shot.
Digital SLR - johnny
hmm - it's probably a lot less than half a second really, probably the autofocus , unless it's just accumulating enough charge for the flash it may or may not use.
Reading to the memory card is most likely why I can't take a lot of pictures in close succession, I used to always want a motor-wind for those "Taggart" type stake outs.

Sturatli - thanks for the Pentax users link.
Digital SLR - Vin {P}
Some cameras really do have a significant delay. In response to the "What on earth.." question, this is with some premium brands. E.g. I bought a Nikon Coolpix and under some circumstances, lowish light, prefocussed but ever such a tiny change required in focus, the delay can be a couple of seconds (I kid you not!). Normally it's about 0.5 sec. That sort of delay is a well-reported "feature" of many digital compacts and makes them all but unusable for catching moments. I use it as a pocket camera for when I can't take the SLR.

I've moved onto an EOS400D and it's instant, exactly the same as my old film SLR.

It takes 3 frames per second. It officially will take 25 of these in a row at high resolution, but with a fast card in mine I did 31 before it overtook the cache. Though that was just a feature I was testing, of course. How many times do you want to take 30 or so photos over 10 seconds? I do use the feature when taking photos of kids - take half a dozen over a couple of second and generally one of them will catch a better look than all the others.

V
Digital SLR - cheddar
I have used a D70 and not only was there no perceptable shutter delay it was also ready to shoot within half a second of switching on from cold. The newer and cheaper D40 is supposed to be as good in this regard, I have also read good thinks about the Pentax in respect of shutter delay.
Digital SLR - steveincornwall
I used Yashica and Contax film SLRs for many years before going digital and I found the shutter delay of the early digitals a real pain. I changed to the Nikon D70 and recently to the D80 which are both superb. I would expect the newer digital compacts will have improved in all respects including shutter lag. Be wary of getting sucked into the megapixel race - more aren't always better. You may find this link to a good test site useful.
www.dpreview.com/
Steve

Digital SLR - FotheringtonThomas
the impression of a long delay just might arise from
the camera writing to the memory card after taking a shot.

I've been thinking, too - the OP said "When I moved from traditional SLR to digital compact, I found the half second delay between pressing the button and taking a picture rather irksome" - well, the thing's got to auto-focus as well as take the picture, probably. If the thing is already focussed, then the delay in taking the picture ought to be very small. I have an old (2001!) Olympus film camera, which also needs time to focus. Perhaps that's the issue? WRT red-eye reduction, well - there must be a time lag, to allow the "reduction" to happen!

Digital SLR - Altea Ego
Its perception,

While all the autofocus and light avergin stuff is goin on , on most digital cameras you loose the picture of the image you are taking on the screen. Add to that the RE reduction feature sending flashes of light to mess up your eyeball, the delay can seem to be very long indeed.

IF you have a good digital camera that you set automanually (ie preset the focus and exposure say for example by half pressing the shutter button) the actual picture take can be just as fast as a 35mm. If it wasnt sports photographers wouldnt be using them.
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Digital SLR - Vin {P}
FT: "If the thing is already focussed, then the delay in taking the picture ought to be very small."

Yes, but it isn't on some cameras, Nikon Coolpix 3200 included. Half a second is an age if you have the right picture in the viewfinder. I threw hundreds of shots out that showed people blurred, who had moved thinking the photo had been taken. As for taking pictures of moving objects, you needed to plan where it might be when the shutter finally reacted. Well-known problem, now resolved (at least in SLRs).

V
Digital SLR - Stuartli
I've used TLR and SLR cameras over a period of about 50 years - there's a delay in any case with SLR cameras after releasing the shutter to allow the instant return mirror to move upwards first.

The comment about not being too worried about megapixels is also sound; a lower MP camera with a top class lens will produce superior shots to one with plenty of MPs but an average lens.

My own digital camera is around six years old now (a 2MP Minolta E203), but it happily produces quality that's more than good enough for 10x8 prints. I still prefer my Pentax Spotmatic or Nikon F401 with a Tamron 28-200mm zoom though for important occasions...:-)

One day I'll hopefully be able to afford a top notch DSLR but, up to now, I've always found digital cameras far too small to be used comfortably, despite their photographic ability.
Digital SLR - rtj70
One difference between a DSLR and a point and shoot digital camera is how fast it takes to focus. DSLR typically a lot quicker.

Someone above said about pressing the shutter half way to lock focus, exposure and shutter speed. This will then let you take the shot with no delay but only useful if taking a picture of a shot already composed.

A DSLR will also take time to focus, the Sony Alpha for example has the option of continually focusing and starts doing so as soon as you put the camera to your eye. A sensor detects the proximity of your face - or anything else.

My DSLR will take about 3 frames per second with JPEGs on their highest quality setting and keep taking pictures until the memory card is full still at 3fps, providing it's a fast card. Not much use most of the time to me though.
Digital SLR - J Bonington Jagworth
I was brought up with SLR's (and TLR's) but I find the portability of a compact digicam the overriding best feature. The camera you've got with you takes the best pictures!

WRT delay, as has already been mentioned, a half-press of the shutter when composing the shot will remove most of it, and the remaining delay when you press the button home should be of the order of 0.1s (my Casio Z750, a delightfully small camera, manages 0.01s, shaming SLR's that have to get their mirrors out of the way). There is a lot of variation between makes and models, though, so worth looking for reviews before buying.

Where DSLR's do score heavily is WRT noise, thanks to their much larger sensors. The only compacts that do well in low light seem to be made by Fuji - the F30 is supposed to be very good, although I still prefer cameras that have a viewfinder!
Digital SLR - Stuartli
>>I still prefer cameras that have a viewfinder!>>

Absolutely agree..:-)

I use the Minolta mentioned earlier in the way you describe i.e. pre-focussing using the shutter button and then grabbing a quick shot at the right moment.
Digital SLR - cheddar
only compacts that do well in low light seem to be made by Fuji -

>>

To the contrary in my experience, Canon and Nikon to name but two general produce less noise at higher ISOs.
Digital SLR - J Bonington Jagworth
Canon (I have one) and Nikon are both improving their low light performance, but Fuji have their own sensor that really does seem to work better. See here:
www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf30/page12.asp
Digital SLR - Round The Bend
I have a Canon SLR (400D) and am delighted with it. You can set it to multi frame shooting which answers the OP's question. For low light conditions - you can very easily adjust the ISO setting which I've found to be very effective.
Tape measure question - J Bonington Jagworth
I have a feeling that I must be asking something obvious, but I haven't worked it out yet. I just bought an ordinary (I think!) retractable steel tape measure that has the usual inch and centimetre markings on opposite sides, but it also has a diamond-shaped mark every 19-and-a-bit inches. This is about 488mm, but doesn't seem to be exactly anything. Does anyone know what it signifies? AFAIK, cubits went out some time ago...
Tape measure question - Vin {P}
If you're building a stud wall/ceiling, you should be putting a support every 16 inches (you'll note a marker on your tape measure every 16 inches if you look). The 19.2 inch markers are a slightly greater spacing that mean you use 5 joists every 8 ft rather than 6.

V
And the reason why it's 8 ft when they come together, by the way, is that that's the size of many sheet materials. 2440mm in new money.

V
Ah, so it is 488mm (or possibly 487.68). Thanks for clearing that up, Vin.

WRT "2440mm in new money", don't you just love metricated wood measurements? 3.6m of 2x4, please...
Tape measure question - eProf
I had a tape that had markings every 16 inches and they turned out to be the centre-to-centre spacing for rafters; very useful if you wanted to drill holes in the cieling. Maybe yours are metric cubits?
--
e Prôf - Another Recycled Teenager
Tape measure question - Martin Devon
Plasterboard is 2400 x 1200. Far eastern hardwood ply is usually 2440 x 1220 Stick to 400mm centres for a plasterboard stud wall doubling up at board joints is advisable. Use regularised timber where possible and screw the plasterboard as opposed to nailing. Good luck.

MD
Tape measure question - local yokel
>screw the plasterboard as opposed to nailing

Seconded - I have rows of ugly blisters on an 18 mth old ceiling caused by lazy, cheapskate plasterers who nailed when they should have screwed.
Tape measure question - billy25
Hmm! "thread hijack warning!"
I'm about to start plasterboarding my loft out, was planning to use "plasterboard" nails, but if nails cause blisters, and Screws dont, Why? I thought the "proper" nails were Galvanised to prevent this problem, or do you mean "use Brass screws?"

Billy
Tape measure question - andymc {P}
Probably simply because the skim coat grips/binds to the crosshead of the screw more readily than to the comparitively smooth surface of the nail (even plasterboard nails).
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Tape measure question - Altea Ego
The nails get loose with thermal cycling and scab off the plaster. Screws dont they stay tight, plus the plasters sticks in the screw slots.
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
AFAIK it's ungalvanised nails that cause the trouble, by rusting (especially when painted with emulsion). Most screws are galvanised these days, although by thin plating rather than 'hot-dipping' which is the usual method for nails.

I leave others to assess the relative merits, as I'm not a builder.. :-)
AFAIK it's ungalvanised nails that cause the trouble by rusting (especially when painted with emulsion).

Makes no odds I am afraid. I can show you a property where the plaster has scabbed off the galvanised nails and they are utterly corrosion free.
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Tape measure question - billy25
Cheers Chaps!
Screws it is then! better charge up the cordless! - would there be any advantage in using Brass? or would that just be unecassary expense?

Billy
Brass screws would cost a fortune! anything or an alloy will do.
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Tape measure question - Group B
Screws are a much neater, quieter job, and no chance of whacking your fingers with a hammer!

Proper plasterboard screws have a "bugle" head, which gives less chance of the head damaging the paper outer surface of the boards than with regular screws. They often come with a black anti-corrosion coating (Wickes ones do).

Turbo Ultra screws from Screwfix are stainless steel and very easy to drive.

tinyurl.com/2hnmca

V
"..very easy to drive"

Motoring link!

Reminds me that we had a local banger racing team from Parkhurst who called themselves the Screwdrivers...
Tape measure question - Martin Devon
Some people 'push' the screw or nail too far in. You need to get the screw head JUST beneath the surface of the board. If you break the paper outer the grip is much diminished. As with all things there is a right and a wrong way, it's just that in the building business lots of chaps just don't give a 'dice'.

Regards......MD.
ID Cards compulsory? - deepwith
Last night my son (20 in two weeks) went to a local beach to meet friends. He has just had his first proper pay cheque for a full time job (wonderful, isn't it!!) so had a bag with a few beers/bottle of wine for his plus g/f to share. Wanting to drink, he had driven there and parked where the car could be left, but had arranged to stay with a local friend for the night.
As they walked down to the beach they were stopped by a community officer and asked for ID. Neither had a wallet with them (going to beach with no 'facilities' - this is just a beach under some cliffs far from normal 'yoof' haunts) and the officer was insistent they had to show ID. Pointing out that it was not yet a legal requirement to have an ID card and informed giving his d.o.b. or ringing us was unacceptable. He suggested they radio'd the police, who would be able to check his age from the car registration/insurance details. Police actually turned up and checked - agreed he was who he was and that he was certainly old enough to have alcohol. As far as they were concerned all was in order and they were leaving. The Community Officer then asked him to hand over his alcohol as they believed he was going to supply under-aged people with alcohol which he then did as he was threatened with a night in the cells if he did not co-operate. They had no evidence that he might supply youngsters with drink as he was not with any - as he had not actually got to the beach he is unaware whether there were hoards of children there and if they were there - would he have known them?
What surprised us is that son is a polite, articulate and well spoken young man, no piercings, tattoos or outlandish dress (jeans and shirt last night) oh yes, and he drives an uncool new shape micra - in fact, despite normal teenage rows in the past, he is one of the goodies. Duke of Edinburgh Gold at 17, helps with Mencap children club, was senior NCO in area cadet force and has a full time administration job. (Don't you just hate proud Mothers)
If this is how he is treated how on earth do these community officers treat less articulate youngsters?
Were their actions actually legal?
Do they think this is the way to instill respect for authority in our youngsters?
What they have done is convince one young couple that ID cards are a bad idea.
ID Cards compulsory? - Pugugly {P}
(I've edited both posts together for you)

PCSOs have got the power to ask for names and addresses in certain circumstances they also have to power (I think in all areas although it does vary) to confiscate booze in the circumstances you describe. As regards powers of arrest - they have none beyond what a Citizen has but do have a power to detain for 20 or 30 mins. The only power of arrest for carrying drink (apart from a general Police power of conditional arrest for anything) is if there is a No Drink Zone and a person refuses to hamd drink over when asked, but PCSOs don't have this power. Obviously the Regular Police made a judgement that the individual PCSO didn't like.

Just found this link - I can't be certain how accurate it is I have spotted one flaw in it.

national-pcsos.co.uk/ListofPowersofCommunitySuppor...f
ID Cards compulsory? - GregSwain
Deepwith, unfortunately this is indicative of the authorities' inability to show anyone any respect, and subsequent surprise when the public shows a similar low level of respect to the authorities. PCSO's are half-trained "Police" who, rather than actually doing something, are there purely to be seen to be doing something. As such, common sense is over-ridden by "one size fits all" justice, straight from the classroom. A police officer with years of experience would've taken one look at your son and come to the correct conclusion before even feeling the need to approach him. Just shows that curbing investment in public services results in poorly trained staff, who have absolutely no idea what they're doing.
ID Cards compulsory? - Stuartli
I came across one of the local Community Officers a few days ago whilst waiting for a bus. She was chatting to an individual who was behaving himself quite properly, but clearly not the sharpest knife in the box.

The CO listened patiently to his ramblings and treated him with full courtesy, but was still aware enough to grab the registration number of a sports car driver who exhibited a level of speed and dangerous driving quite unnecessary in a built-up area, before catching the bus with us.

She alighted at the same stop and I noticed her, over the next hour or so, doing a patrol of the area, noticing if the smoking laws were being obeyed at local pubs, checking out vehicles and keeping an eye on teenagers gathering in the local churchyard.

I must confess I was quite impressed with her approach to her work and she clearly enjoyed it.
ID Cards compulsory? - Lud
Sounds as if deepwith's son came across a couple of carp ones. Like the teaching profession, police work does attract a measurable percentage of power-crazed morons.

There are a lot of community plod around here. They tend to hang out in pairs outside the tube station. They make more eye contact with the population than plod proper and seem good-natured. I've never seen any behaving officiously. Mind you they would get short shrift from some of the locals if they did.
ID Cards compulsory? - daveyjp
"What surprised us is that son is a polite, articulate and well spoken young man,"

He is until he has a belly full of booze which is a great leveller of perceived social standing. I suggest a visit to Rock near Padstow one summer and see how those 'polite, articulate, well spoken' young men behave after a few Stellas!
ID Cards compulsory? - Martin Devon
Stella, a mix of various chemicals is widly known as 'Wife beater' believe it or believe it not!!

Nothing but Best Bitter. Makes you snore but not obnoxious!

happy banks hols......MD
Wheelchair hire - overseas ??? - autumnboy
I know this may not be the right place for this, but with the wealth of experience on this site.

Shortly shall be going to Vancouver and to make things easier for Mobility with my daughter we want to hire a wheelchair for a couple of weeks over there.

Any tips or links of where to get one.

Thanks

Going to move this into IHAQ shortly - PU
Wheelchair hire - overseas ??? - Rebecca {P}
In this country - and in France, you can hire wheelchairs from some chemists (pharmacists). We did this for my Grandmother on a trip to France. It took 24 hours for the chair to be delivered to the shop.

So that would be my suggestion of where to try for your trip. If you're staying in a hotel you could ask the concierge.
Wheelchair hire - overseas ??? - henry k
Try a google search?
then a few calls I feel sure will find hirers.

www.newdisability.com/wheelchairrental.htm
www.rentawheelchair.com/rentawheelchair/index.htm
Wheelchair hire - overseas ??? - Altea Ego
For services like this anywhere in the western world, get in touch with the local Red Cross.

www.redcross.ca/article.asp?id=015828&tid=001
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Hair Oil - bintang
Whatever happed to hair oil? It has suddenly disappeared from the market. None of the shops in my area, including a large branch of Boots, stock it or can explain. All they have is styling gell, wax, hair putty (putty?) and similar fancy (and expensive) products. Brlycreem would do at a pinch but even there, cream variety has gone. There is nothing in female hairdressers either. Can anyone suggest a source of supply for just one botle every four or five months?
Hair Oil - Stuartli
I used to use Vitalis (see: www.medshopexpress.com/682762.html), but it doesn't seem to be around as much these days.

Try SuperDrug, Save or similar discount outlets.

In any case I switched to Wella gel a while back (Brylcreem changed its packaging, but not the products, and upped prices by at least £1 per item so was discarded); again the discount stores sell such products at prices well below the supermarkets, Boots etc.
Cigar Ettiquette - Big Bad Dave
What's the proper way to enjoy a cigar.

I found myself amongst a group of men (and women) this weekend puffing away on big cigars but had to decline the offer because I never really know what to do with one. I'm an ex-smoker, now just a social smoker.
Cigar Ettiquette - drbe
What's the proper way to enjoy a cigar.

A friend of mine used to enjoy the ocassional cigar - normally after a good meal or when out on a special event - you know the sort of thing.

He died 3 years ago of cancer of the throat.

There is no safe level of tobacco smoking.
Cigar Ettiquette - Big Bad Dave
"There is no safe level of tobacco smoking"

Come on Drbe, don't you think if tobacco smoke were dangerous, someone would have noticed by now and tried to warn us?

What about inhaling, do you smoke the whole thing like a cigarette?
I go blue, then green, then pass out.
Cigar Ettiquette - bintang
The key to enjoyment is correct prepration and lighting. Blow to remove surface dust then roll the uncut end in the mouth briefly to consolidate the leaves. Light a match, let it burn brieflly, then scrape it along the edge of an ashtray so as to sharpen it to a point. Insert this in the round, uncut end to make a hole. Withdraw it, then blow down the cut end to drive out internal dust. Put the round end in the mouth. Light another match and, holding it about half an inch away, suck to draw in the flame while rotating the cigar slightly to get even lighting.

It is uncool to use a cigar cutter or petrol lighter. Don't waste a good cigar in a large gathering. Enjoy it alone or with one or two friends when you can devote at least half an hour to it.
Cigar Ettiquette - Stuartli
A good cigar dehumidifier will play an important part in keeping them stored properly.

I have a pal who buys (and shares) some of the world's finest cigars and wines - it's always a pleasure to spend a night at his home enjoying a fine cigar and a bottle or two. None of Tesco's finest in this instance..:-)
Cigar Ettiquette - Armitage Shanks {p}
It is suprising how many supermarket and M&S wines do very well in 'blind' tastings though! I don't often spend more than £10 on any wine that I plan to drink at home and there is some very drinkable stuff in this range. I do agree that Tesco's finest isn't the World's best but it can be good value and pleasant enough.
do agree that Tesco's finest isn't the World's best but it can be good value and pleasant enough.>>

It was tongue in cheek.

The supermarkets have played a major role in bringing a huge range of extremely drinkable wines from all over the world for customers at remarkable prices.

In fact I have friends who can afford most wines, yet buy and enjoy quite a few from the local Aldi...:-)
Cigar Ettiquette - Mapmaker
Strangely, wine is about the only thing I don't buy from Aldi/Lidl. Whilst the labels look cheap for what they are, the wine in the bottle never quite lives up to what I hope to get.
Your two sentences appear to contradict each other...:-)
Cigar Ettiquette - Mapmaker
au contraire, Stuartli. Looks at bottle which looks like Rolls Royce, but for Mini price. Bargain. Take it home, wine inside bottle tastes like Mini, so no bargain. IYSWIM.
Cigar Ettiquette - deepwith
Mapmaker, Try Lidl Gran Reserva Tarragona preferably the 98 but the later one is also quite drinkable. Drunk at right temp and you will find it well worth the money - the did one dessert wine that we had for Christmas that was good. Haven't yet found one in Aldi that tempts us back for more.
Mind you, we can be picky with 6 cases of Crozes-Hermitage and St Joseph as yet unbreached and many gone now....
Cigar Ettiquette - Baskerville
I once interviewed a well-known (in France) wine expert and she told me that the way to get good value in supermarkets is to buy the 5-7 year-old wines that have just been heavily discounted because they can't be guaranteed to keep another year. For most mass-market wine 5 years is the turning point but often these are £15 wines reduced to £7. The supermarket buyers get excellent deals on this kind of wine because the producers no longer want to pay for cellaring.
Miele frost-free freezer - nick
I'm in the market for a free-standing under-worktop freezer. Although they don't need defrosting very often I have a pathological dislike of doing this job (and I'm lazy) so I'm looking at frost-free ones. I'm leaning towards Miele as I've only heard good things about them having had Bosch appliances in the past and had the occasional niggle though admittedly not with fridges or freezers.
So my question is... has anyone any experience with frost-free freezers and Miele in particular? I expect they'll use a bit more power and I can live a B rated freezer but are they any less reliable? I assume the cooling coils must be warmed periodically to melt the ice, does this let the freezer warm up a little and affect the lifespan of the food?
Thanks in advance,
Nick
Miele frost-free freezer - Stuartli
Miele produces probably the best appliances available - certainly a well known consumer magazine consistently places them as its Best Buys (www.miele.co.uk/media/headlines.aspx?nid=29)

All but two (which are B rated) of its freezers, including frost free, have an A or A++ rating:

www.miele.co.uk/products/ProductList.aspx?range=Fr...s

My best mate has sold dozens of Miele appliances, as well as Bosch etc - guess what make both of us use at home...:-)
Miele frost-free freezer - Vin {P}
nick: "I assume the cooling coils must be warmed periodically to melt the ice"

On one type, yes:

home.howstuffworks.com/question144.htm

On the other type, air is actively blown around the freezer and is dehumidified outside the freezer. This means there is no moisture there in the first place to freeze into ice. The downside is that anything left unwrapped for long enough (e.g. the home-made burgers I barbecued on Sunday) will dry out and be pretty much inedible through dessication.

V