What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I Have a Question - Volume 194 - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 195 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 194. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18847

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

TV on the web - does it need a licence ? - Pugugly {P}
People in work have started watching BBC News 24 on the web in work. Whilst I have no real problem in principle, I'm uncertain as to whether it can be done legally without a licence.

We have no other telly in the buildings - I have currently "moderated" their use !

Any views ?
TV on the web - does it need a licence ? - Stuartli
>>I'm uncertain as to whether it can be done legally without a licence.>>

I'm not sure about watching such programmes using the Internet, but anything that can receive TV programmes (apart from a TV) such as a VCR, Freeview DVD recorder and even a computer TV PCI card or USB stick means that a licence is required.

The licence also confers the right to receive TV transmissions.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
TV on the web - does it need a licence ? - Mapmaker
A licence is definitely required for receiving BBC TV transmissions over the 'net. (I am BTW one of the under 1% of the population with no TV licence and do not view it.)

Unless of course you might get away with the exemption for portable TVs not used at home, running off batteries. IIRC you can run a portable TV in a caravan if it runs off batteries and you have a licence at home.

So, if they are using laptops, and they unplug from the mains whilst they watch the TV, then they might be covered on their home licences.

I imagine that it is the watcher of the TV, not the owner of the 'set' (you and your partners) who would be breaking the law.

www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/secondhome.jsp

As (presumably!) you do not provide accommodation for your staff, you don't appear to need a 'hotel' licence.
TV on the web - does it need a licence ? - Dalglish
A licence is definitely required for receiving BBC TV transmissions over the 'net. ..

are you stataing categorically that you need a licence to watch on your pc via "flash-player" type device ( eg. youtube, or bbc-iplayer or itv-video-player or any other such device) ?

if so, where does it say so in legislation?

TV on the web - does it need a licence ? - Gromit {P}
Check the BBC website for details - it should specify who can, and cannot, view the content. Each episode of Top Gear used to be available in streaming format the week after it aired on BBC2, but it wouldn't allow me access it as my IP identified me as living outside the UK.

I presume this was because the BBC had no way of getting TV licence money from me, and risked losing earnings from syndication if I watched it on the web rather than subscribing to a cable/satellite TV package that included BBC. Grr...
TV on the web - does it need a licence ? - local yokel
www.theregister.co.uk/2000/10/10/tv_licence_needed.../ suggests that the method of receiving the signal is not an issue, live TV on any device requires a licence, regardless whether via analogue or digital and thence via an aerial, via cable or via an internet connection.

www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/businesses.jsp says that a business need a TV licence if TV is being received.
TV on the web - does it need a licence ? - deepwith
This was discussed on Radio 4 a short while ago and I believe they said that you needed a licence if you watch it live i.e. as transmitted, even if seconds behind the television, but not if you were watching it later via the/a website. I have checked with the 'Oracle' (husband) and he agrees that was what was said.
>>if so, where does it say so in legislation?>>

On the TV licence renewal form.

Also in the first major paragraph of this link:

www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/index.jsp
are you stataing categorically that you need a licence to watch on your pc via
"flash-player" type device ( eg. youtube or bbc-iplayer or itv-video-player or any other such device)

You need a TV Licence to use any television receiving equipment such as a TV set, set-top boxes, video or DVD recorders, computers or mobile phones to watch or record TV programmes as they are being shown on TV.

if so where does it say so in legislation?

No idea. In fact I should imagine the legislation was written prior to the invention of such things. But it is certainly TV licensing's view.

www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/index.jsp
TV on the web - does it need a licence ? - tyro
If Mapmaker is right, then . . .

Is there a warning given to people who watch live on the internet that they are doing something illegal?

Will TV detector vans become obsolete?

Will the TV Licensing authority be allowed to carry away the computers of those who do not have TV licenses in order to check to see if BBC programs have been watched live?
If Mapmaker is right then . . .

Mapmaker only quotes TV licensing. But Mapmaker is usually right (much as some may not like it).
Is there a warning given to people who watch live on the internet that they
are doing something illegal?

Ignorance is no excuse in the eyes of the law. There is no warning given to owners of TV sets that they need a licence to watch it.
Will TV detector vans become obsolete?

They are purely a 'marketing' ploy anyway. You probably cannot detect a CRT TV; you certainly cannot detect an LCD TV. And even if you could, the privacy issues are such that they would never want to litigate this point.
Will the TV Licensing authority be allowed to carry away the computers of those who watch TV

They probably are allowed to, if they have suitable permission from the courts. remember they are not allowed in your home without either your say so, or permission from the courts.
>>Mapmaker only quotes TV licensing.
i know that pc retailers used to ask for your name & address to notify tv-licensing if you purchased a tv-card for a pc (either built in or standalone). now that it is possible to view live tv direct via the broadband players, i.e. without a tv card, i was not sure how this development was covered in the legislation. i suppose it also must define "live" tv because there can be quite a definite noticeable delay between terretrial and other means of receiveing the signal. ( i watched the shuttle launch "live" on nasa-tv, i think there was at least 10-20 seconds delay).
But Mapmaker is usually right (much as some may not like it).

of course he is never wrong, except this time - "much as some may not like it" should read "much as none likes it".

>>i watched the shuttle launch "live" on nasa-tv,>>

I also watched it live, on Sky News, on my computer monitor, via my Freeview PCI TV card...:-)

I'd already provided the answers to the query you posed about the information about the legislation.

The fact is that virtually 100 per cent of the population owns a TV set, never mind other means of receiving programmes.

If an address is detailed as not having a TV licence then alarm bells ring at TV Licensing. The comparatively few people who don't need a licence often state how much they are pestered by TV Licensing, merely because their reason for not having a licence is not believed.

My best mate runs an independent audio/visual/appliances outlet - he wastes a lot of time every year having to fill in details on special forms of customers who have bought TVs and other equipment capable of receiving television programmes, before sending it off to TV Licensing.
I also watched it live, on Sky News, on my computer monitor, via my Freeview PCI TV card...:-)

what? really? on sky? was it on for five hours from 8pm to 1am?

No, I clearly meant the actual takeoff and stupendous surge towards orbit. Makes a McLaren seem somewhat pedestrian...:-)

The reference about the TV card was in relation to the queries about TV licences.
.. I'd already provided the answers to the query you posed about the information about the legislation. ..

how the tv licencing authority interprets legislation is not the same as the actual legislation.

how the tv licencing authority interprets legislation is not the same as the actual legislation.

My goodness, dalglish, you're in a cussed mood this week. You are of course correct, but you'd have to convince the court that TV licensing were wrong. And then the Secretary of State would change the law as he is permitted to do so that the law said what TV licensing thought that it was supposed to say. (Google 'Arctic Systems' for an example where a victory in the House of Lords against the Government gave rise to an immediate promise of new legislation.)
Just because you don't like the idea doesn't mean that I'm wrong. Have alook in the legislation, Dalglish.

s363 (1) Communcations Act 2003 which I understand is the legislation in question informs us:

"A television receiver must not be installed or used unless the installation and use of the receiver is authorised by a licence under this Part."

s368 defines "television receiver"

(1) In this Part "television receiver" means any apparatus of a description specified in regulations made by the Secretary of State setting out the descriptions of apparatus that are to be television receivers for the purposes of this Part.

(2) Regulations under this section defining a television receiver may provide for references to such a receiver to include references to software used in association with apparatus.

(3) References in this Part to using a television receiver are references to using it for receiving television programmes.

Finally, I suggest that PU and his partners are potentially guilty of an offence under s363 (3) (b)

(3) A person with a television receiver in his possession or under his control who- (b) knows, or has reasonable grounds for believing, that another person intends to install or use it in contravention of that subsection,
is guilty of an offence.

If I were a partner in PU LLP, I should be including a ban on all TV watching on work computers... unless portables running from a battery where the operator has a licence at home.
Part of the contents of this link:

tinyurl.com/2hm3j7

"A TV licence provides a legal permission to install or use a television receiver in order to receive television programme services. It?s a criminal offence to install or use a TV receiver without a valid licence, so it is important to ensure that you are appropriately licensed.

"A ?television receiver? includes a television set, a VCR, a set-top box, a TV-enabled personal computer or any other equipment designed or modified to enable it to receive television programmes."
TV on the web - does it need a licence ? - Pugugly {P}
Thanks for the response. At least I can blame you for the ban that comes into force next Monday :-)

In fairness its in one of the big offices they've taken to watching News 24 in their lunch breaks, I'll have to get them to go back to breaking rocks instead !
TV on the web - does it need a licence ? - hxj

You need a TV licence if:

1. You have a hardware tv receiver; or

2. You watch 'live TV' in another format - for example down a broadband link.

Otherwise you don't.
Travelling with only hand baggage - tyro
2 questions

1. Where is it possible to buy a cheap bag which is 55 x 35 x 20 cm (= 22 x 14 x 8) inches?

2. How fussy are airlines if you don't quite meet their size requirements for a cabin bag?

I'm thinking about trying to travel with just hand baggage to the USA this autumn - spurred on by a couple of articles on the subject in the Telegraph. Seems to make for less stressful travel.

The aim is to get the largest permitted bag and stuff it full. However - different airlines have different regulations.

BA says 56 x 45 x25 cm
Easyjet says 55 x 40 x 20 cm
In the US, it tends to be 55 x 35 x 22 cm

This leads me to think that a bag which was fine on Easyjet might be too high for a US carrier, and a bag that was fine on a US carrier might be too wide for Easyjet, and so on. So - if one is travelling on both, which size of bag should one go for, and where can one get a cheap one?
Travelling with only hand baggage - rtj70
It's not easy to find one that fits for some airlines. We had to replace case damaged last year and bought one smaller (just) but slightly longer. Jet2 has even smaller luggage guidelines so they said "put it in that" pointing at a cage... it didn't fit (just) and was checked in.

Next trip, Jet2 again, and got offered luggage from mother-in law. Looked okay but drove to airport to try it (only about 7-8 miles) and it did not fit! Got one at a local Stockport bag shop cheap that did fit.

Sure this will fit most as its their allowance is only 46x30x23cm!

Bottom line is they are fussy at this end but might not care in Europe at least. But did take in interest to the SLR in Pisa Airport.
Travelling with only hand baggage - daveyjp
I can recommend Eagle Creek pac-it cubes and a rucksack. Designed to hold plenty of luggage, without taking up much room.
www.eagle-creek.co.uk
Travelling with only hand baggage - rtj70
Don't forget one item of hand luggage - so small case or a rucksack.
Travelling with only hand baggage - legacylad
I don't personally see how it makes it less stressful if travelling to the USA. I fly Manchester/Chicago twice a year then on to either SF or Sacramento, and by the time I have cleared immigration in Chicago, normally only 30 mins, my baggage is on the carousel. A very short trolley push to the transfer desk then my baggage is on its way to destination airport.
The $/£ exchange rate is so favourable at the moment that I need to check in baggage for the return journey...currently Bmi allow 64kg for 2 bags in econopmy (max 32kg per bag) and the savings on my US purchases go a long way to offsetting the flight costs.
I don't personally see how it makes it less stressful if travelling to the USA.

Legacylad, there are two main reasons.

One is the fact that waits for hold luggage can be up to 9 hours - see tinyurl.com/2u5tdn

The other is that a lot of hold luggage gets lost - see tinyurl.com/25loa8 - estimates are that about 1 in 30 items carried by BA. I am on about 8 flights a year - which means that I can expect to have a bag lost once every four years!

That said, I may still decide to carry hold luggage.

Daveyjp - thanks, but I've never been enthusiastic about travelling with rucksack. I'll give it some consideration though.

Travelling with only hand baggage - Vin {P}
On a point of maths: if 1 in 30 bags are lost, then you have a 29/30 chance of a bag arriving. If you take 32 flights, then the odds of your bags arriving on all of those flights is (29/30) raised to the power of 32. Thus, you have .33 probability (so one in three chance) that you'll never lose a bag. Better than you expected, but still pretty poor, I suspect.

V
Travelling with only hand baggage - legacylad
tyro
I never realised that so much baggage gets lost! Or that it takes so long to unload, so I certainly see your point! These days I always fly long haul out of Manchester...years ago I would work late in Leeds then drive down to Gatwick/Heathrow arriving in the early hours. Those days are gone...the thought of negotiating the M25 prior to a drive up to North Yorks after an overnight flight does not appeal.
Guess I have been lucky with all my US transit stops, but there is always a first time. Hope it is not next week!
Travelling with only hand baggage - drbe
To answer no. 2 of Tyro's questions, I find (and watching passengers around me) that as long as you haven't failed the attitude test, then both the airline(s) and the security people are not too fussed about the size of your bag.
Travelling with only hand baggage - Nsar
I think the attitude test counts for a lot.

I picked up a couple of airtight bags from the traval accessories stand in my local Asda (about £4 the pair I think). You put your clothes in, squeeze out the air and seal them, so you can take more clothes in a smaller space.

It leaves more room for the collapsible ironing board and iron you'll need as a result of using them
Thanks gentlemen.

Drbe - I'm sure that you are right. But if I was travelling with hand luggage only, I wouldn't want to risk someone saying "Sorry sir, but your bag is an inch over the regulation size, it has to be checked in." There isn't really much the polite person can do but say "I do apologise. No problem at all."

Nsar - great idea. Why didn't I think of that myself? And the great thing is that you don't need to pack the ironing board and iron, because you buy them for $5 each at Walmart when you get to the USA, and the ironing board will fit in the boot of your hire car even if it isn't the collapsible variety!

All I have to do is find the travel accessories stand - my nearest ASDA is 131 miles away!
Travelling with only hand baggage - deepwith
Save the trip to Asda and ironing board. Lay your biggest item (usually towel or trousers) out. Carefully lay everything else on top apart from shoes/wash kit/underwear. Roll up like a very tight swiss roll - will be surprisingly small - place in flightbag. Pack underwear and shoes round roll. Zip up, turn on one end and shake down. Open end to find space and fill with wash kit and whatever else you are taking. On arrival, hang up clothes, in bathroom to refresh by steam if necessary. Voila.
Having taught daughter well, she had a week partying in Wales followed by two weeks in France all in one flight bag - including a dressy evening dress!
International Space Station - cheddar
Some may not be aware that the ISS can often be seen with the naked eye, last Thursday night was intersting because the ISS passed over and three minutes later the newly launched Shuttle followed it. Last night the ISS was visible on consecutive orbits, at 21:18 and 22:53.

The following relates to Wells:

spaceflight1.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/vi...s

When will you be able to see it?

spaceflight1.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/cities/re...d

International Space Station - Dalglish
Some may not be aware that the ISS can often be seen with the naked eye

and that you can also follow the progress via
spaceflight1.nasa.gov/realdata/index.html
eg.
spaceflight1.nasa.gov/realdata/tracking/index.html
www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

International Space Station - TonyJ
And if interested in the ISS and other things in the sky (& beyond) try
www.heavens-above.com/
where you can get a map of the sky tailored to your position as well as info on comets, positions of Pioneer & Voyager spacecraft etc etc
International Space Station - David Horn
Hmm - I thought I saw it the other night. A very bright star travelling rapidly towards the horizon.
International Space Station - Vin {P}
I was at an outdoor concert last night and saw what I thought must be the ISS. I liked the fact that as it neared the Eastern horizon it suddenly glowed red then faded out.

Came home, looked on the links in here and, sure enough, I was the ISS. It's hard to believe that that graceful drift across the sky turns out to be a speed of 4 miles a second.

V
International Space Station - johnny
tinyurl.com/2dunvj

You can see it from earth with a biggish reflector telescope, 350km isn't that high compared to the radius of the earth I suppose.
30 day contact lenses - David Horn
There is a small chance that I might need to get corrective lenses in the next few weeks. I was told at the end of July by the CAA that I need glasses for my class 1 medical. I'd assumed it was an off-day because 2 weeks beforehand I'd tested at 6/5 in both eyes without correction at my local opticians, so I'm booked back in to repeat the eye test on Tuesday.

I'm hoping that this time I'll sail through, but if I do need correction then I imagine I'll look at contact lenses, as I dislike glasses and don't want to buy three sets of prescription specs! Does anyone have any experience with the new 30 day continuous contact lenses? I can't seem to find anyone that wears them since most people seem to be on disposable ones.

Cheers,

David.
Oh yes - I should add that the prescription is tiny. It's about 0.25D in both eyes.
30 day contact lenses - drbe
Does anyone have any experience with the new 30
day continuous contact lenses? I can't seem to find anyone that wears them since most
people seem to be on disposable ones.

Having used both types, why do you particularly want 30 day lenses? Yes, I have used them and they are ok, but I think the daily lenses are the best.

The prices work out about the same and with the daily ones, if anything goes wrong with a lens - throw it away and use another! The cost - about 30p a time.
30 day contact lenses - BazzaBear {P}
Not sure why you're referring to them as new? I've been wearing them now for several years. Keep them in overnight, only change them once a month. I find them fine, every now and again my eyes will feel a bit tired and I'll leave them out overnight, aside from that no problem.
Oh, one side effect is that you wake up with quite a lot of sleep in your eyes, but that's about it.

Their advantage is that you can forget about them for the month, and you wake up in the morning able to see. The advantage of daily disposables is, as said above, if you rip one, you've got replacements available.
The choice is yours!
Thanks to everyone for their advice - I went back to the CAA yesterday to repeat the eye test in case it was day to day variation in my eyes, and just scraped the 6/6 so the limitation on my certificate has been removed. They test in dusk conditions to get the maximum refractive error, and while I have 6/5 in both eyes in bright light, my right eye isn't brilliant in the dark (only 6/7.5). I don't have stereopsis, so find it harder to compensate.

I was advised that I might want to consider glasses or contact lenses to make myself more comfortable, so will take your advice to heart.
30 day contact lenses - artful dodger {P}
David

Pleased to hear your eyes are acceptable.

Just a short word on wearing contact lenses for over 25 years. Intially I started with high water content lenses that I wore daily, cleaned and separately neutralised at night with new lenses every 6 months. Later I transfered to a different brand of lenses and solutions became easier with only a complete variety. Then I transferred to weekly disposable, meaning I wore them for 6 days continuous and one day with glasses, this was to prevent the eye developing a ridge at the edge of the lense.

However after my first eye infection after nearly 20 years of wearing lenses I was advised to change to day wear and disposal after 14 days. For the past few years I have been wearing bi-focal lenses as my short sight had deteriotated with age (it will come to you!).

At my last 6 monthly eye check up my optician advise I should start restricting my lense wearing period. I have been wearing them from about 7.30 in the morning until nearly midnight. He suggests I should remove them in the early evening, definitely by 9pm to allow the eye to breath properly. He had detected slight expansion of the blood vessels on the surface of the eye to compansate for the lack beathing caused by the long wear.

My advice would be to steer clear of wearing lenses for 30 days continuously as it will almost certainly cause you problems earlier than with daily wear. Remember eyes are very important to our daily lives and I will not do anything to jepodise my sight and would certainly never consider laser eye surgery as I believe the 1% risk is to high.

--
Roger
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Back from France, thanks to all - Brill {P}
Thanks to those who offered advice re. the road trip to France with my 11 yr old son. We took the SpeedFerry to Caen and were treated to the most wonderful roads upon our arrival. What a treat to glide along clean, and almost empty Autoroutes. We did a couple of thousand miles heading south on a round trip to Confolens, and in that time we saw two speed cameras, yes two. Tom Tom worked pretty well, but did get confused a few times, nothing serious, just not as confident as the UK info. Autoroute service stations were frankly amazing, clean, and with relatively fabulous food. We saw very little (marked) Police, apart from at one toll station. I have to say it was rather depressing to arrive back, the roads immediately looked grubby, the services filthy and cameras cones everywhere, with the volume of traffic it felt very oppressive. I can imagine the shock a French motorist would have arriving here and stopping to use our services...and don't even mention the house prices down there...very tempting. We are relocating to Dorset next month as I'm fed up with the madness in the South East of UK, but I can see France beckoning soon. Anyway thanks again for the advice, we had a wonderful time thanks partly due to the fact that we had you lot virtually with us.
Back from France, thanks to all - Mapmaker
>>we had a wonderful time thanks partly due to the fact that we had you lot virtually with us.

We didn't, thanks to the fact that we really were not with you! :(

Glad you had a good time.
What's this? - horatio
Hello all,

What is this?

I won't tell you where it was found exactly but they have been found in UK, South and North America and Italy. Possibly used in the food or water industries.

Those are millimetres on a ruler at the top so it's about 1mm X 2mm X 0.5mm
Has 4 slightly raised riges on the one side (creating 3 grooves) and is smooth on the other side.

Is metal, is not magnetic, appears clean at first but tarnishes to a dull colour.
Is possibly made of Arsenical 70/30 Brass

Could be an RFID but positive identification with the ridges would be fantastic.

img514.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chipnq7.jpg

Thank you
What's this? - billy25
Yoicks!! this link crashes my 'puter!!

Billy
What's this? - horatio
If the link doesn't work, it's probably something to do with HJ redirect service.

paste the following
img514.imageshack.us/my.php?image=chipnq7.jpg

after the
h t t p : // bit in your addressbar.
What's this? - Stuartli
Worked fine for me.
What's this? - Nsar
Vodafone blocks that site as being a bit too saucy for me.
What's this? - Stuartli
It's just a photo of the objects in question.
What's this? - horatio
Thanks to all who tried, it has been solved they are staples from a toothbrush, they hold the bristles in the holes.
"Sending failed" message when texting - L'escargot
When I try to text one particular friend's phone I get the message "Sending failed" regardless of where the two phones are. What could be the cause? I don't get any problems texting anyone else, so I can't see that it's my phone/network/signal strength at fault. I assume I've been given the correct number for my friend's phone.
--
L\'escargot.
"Sending failed" message when texting - Deep Inhaler
"Assume" may be the answer here!

What happens if you do the old fashion thing and try to talk to him on that number?
"Sending failed" message when texting - Altea Ego
Its failing becuase

1/ the recipients number is wrong
2/ the recipient does not have the messge centre number set or registered.

you have tried ringing them have you not?

------------------------------
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
"Sending failed" message when texting - L'escargot
you have tried ringing them have you not?

I have now (from my landline) and get a recorded message that I've dialled an incorrect number. I've emailed the recipient to let me know the correct number. Thanks.
--
L\'escargot.
Solar Powered Battery Charger - Deep Inhaler
Does anybody use one of these?

I keep a few chickens inside a 12V battery powered electric fence. The battery lasts at least 6 weeks before it needs re-charging but I wondered if one of these solar chargers would keep it topped up longer. A charger I have seen claims an output of 1.5 amps @ 17V but I've no idea if that is good enough or a waste of time.

I appreciate I will still need to top-up the battery from the mains charger from time to time.

Thanks in anticipation
Solar Powered Battery Charger - Altea Ego
solar chargers would keep it topped up longer. A charger I have seen claims an
output of 1.5 amps @ 17V but I've no idea if that is good enough
or a waste of time.

1.5 amps at 17 volts would be perfect.

Except

No solar charger is going to generate anything like 1.5 amps, unless it the size of your house roof.
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Solar Powered Battery Charger - Vin {P}
I reply as a power ignoramus, but:

SM100S

1.5A

540 x 457 x 35mm

£209.13

From tinyurl.com/2jx6wr

Appreciate that's "peak", so it might be as accurate as "Combined MPG" is.

V
Solar Powered Battery Charger - Altea Ego
Yes that one is 1/2 sq metre, solid glass, and on average delivers 50% of the peak. Three would deliver your 1.5 amps continous and you would have 1.5 square metres of solid glass. The flexible ones are less efficient.
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Solar Powered Battery Charger - David Horn
Can you not supply it with mains power? (the energiser, that is, not the fence...). We gave up on battery operated fences on our farm a long time ago due to the hassle. Now we have one immense energiser that sits inside the barn and does the whole place.

In the meantime, if you do get a solar charger it might be worth it even if it extends the time you have to swap the battery over to say, every month.
Solar Powered Battery Charger - Deep Inhaler
Thanks all for your replies.

The energiser is battery powered only (I assume(!)). We bought that one because I did not want to run the mains down the garden and the land we use is rented so permanent fixtures are difficult.

From your other comments I guess that something that claims the output I quoted for less than £10 one Ebay is unlikely to be the bargain it sounds then.
Setanta TV picture size - BobbyG
I have had Setanta TV for a couple of years through Telewest and now Virgin. I watch it through a 28inch widescreen JVC tv (not the flat screen / LCD / Plasma types)

I have never had to do anything to the picture but with this new season I am finding that I have the big thick black lines down the screen either side of the picture so I am having to adjust the size of my viewing screen.

On tonight's broadcast of the Celtic game, no matter what picture size I picked, I could just not get a decent big picture without black lines. (But at half and full time, when it reverted to the studio, my picture was fine, full size!)

What has happened thats different? Is it something to do with digital / HD or whatever?

I have emailed Setanta but don't hold my breath for an answer......
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
Setanta TV picture size - Stuartli
It's nothing to do with the set, digital, HD etc - just that the narrower width picture ratio has perhaps been used to serve the needs of the country where Celtic's opponents come from, along with other countries taking the transmission.

Many football transmissions from other countries are still in 4:3 ratio as their pace of technology has not been maintained at our level, probably due to the cost of conversion.

If you expand the display on your TV you will tend to distort the images being shown.

Mind you, quite a few people who watched the Setanta transmission of one of the Premier games over the weekend complained about the disappointing picture quality (pixellating) and loss of sound on occasions, especially in the second half.
Setanta TV picture size - daveyjp
Bobby G - scary post. I came on here to ask the same question! Same TV model and size and Virgin Media cable service. I can only think Setanta don't convert pictures to widescreen the same way as other broadcasters - I saw Liverpool were on, but it was unwatchable - it was widescreen, but more like 24 inch across rather than filling 28 inch screen.

I've noticed C4 on cable has black bars top and bottom, but terrestrial is fine. I have my TV widescreen mode set to 'Panoramic'. I set it to 'Auto' on Setanta and it goes to 16:9 ratio, this stretches it widthways leaving gaps top and bottom, but the picture is poor.
Setanta TV picture size - daveyjp
Stuartli - Liverpool were playing in Toulouse and I never have a problem watching French rugby broadcasts on Sky Sports or the BBC, despite them both carrying French TV coverage.
Setanta TV picture size - Stuartli
Just been hearing the soccer results - Celtic were playing in Moscow.

That explains the reason as Russia still has, to the best of my knowledge, 4:3 TV transmissions.

Stretching such a picture always spoils it; I leave my TV on Auto for picture ratio which provides the best compromise depending on the type of transmission.
Setanta TV picture size - Dalglish
.... I have never had to do anything to the picture .... so I am having to adjust the size of my viewing screen..

remember that there are two ways of seetting the viewing/screen size.

1. in the set-top box settings of the cable/satellite/freeview receiver, this tells the signal to adjsut to the type of tv you have (4:3, widescreen, whatever the dimensions).
2. in the television picture settings - to expand/contract the picture to your taste.

Setanta TV picture size - BobbyG
Dalglish, tried adjusting the cable box settings but this made no difference!
If Setanta reply to me I will let you know the outcome!
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
Cost of Building an Extension - DSLRed
This sounds like a really 'how long is a piece of string question', and I'm not sure how much anyone can help.

However, we are looking to move into a bungalow, and seen 'almost' the perfect one - however, to make it perfect it needs a decent size extension down the side of the house (plenty of room available) to extend the fairly small kitchen, which would, if we went the full length that is still not extended, would also add a bit to the bathroom and dining room.

Looking at published dimensions of the house, I'm estimating that the extension would be about 25' x 8'.

Trouble is, not being anywhere remotely connected to the building trade, I have no angle whatsoever on what such an extension might cost. I know only too well that nobody could give me a precise quote, or anything like, but I'm just looking for a pretty rough figure, to know whether it is worth investigating further, or whether it is out of our reach.

The project would obviously involve a re-fit of the kitchen and bathroom - not sure if it might need a re-working of the shape of the roof.

So, anybody in the trade, or anybody had similar built recently, who could estimate to the nearest 5k?

Thanks
Cost of Building an Extension - Dalglish
... but I'm just looking for a pretty rough figure ..

probably not what you want, but no harm in looking at
www.architect-yourhome.com/_cost/cost2.htm

Cost of Building an Extension - Martin Devon
This sounds like a really 'how long is a piece of string question' and I'm
not sure how much anyone can help.

If you allow £75.00. per square foot, measured by outside dimensions x number of floors then you will not be too far out. Straight lines are easy. Fancy angles, fancy roofs, dormer windows, unusual materials etc. etc. will bump up costs considerably. Awkward access, limited storage, sloping sites, trees near foundations WILL also raise costs, sometimes seemingly out of all proportion to the finished item.

If you need any further help then shout.

Very best regards.........Martin.
Cost of Building an Extension - Vin {P}
Ours was almost exactly £100 per square foot (when RIBA was quoting about £80 build cost), complete with new fitted out kitchen, shower room , carpets, decorating, etc. That was 3 years ago, in Hampshire. On that basis, it looks like you could be looking at about £20K.

The prices included new roof, resiting some windows upstairs to accommodate the roofline, some hefty RSJs, and taking the outer skin off the house wall to make internal room dimensions a bit bigger. Finishing was to a nice, not luxury, standard.

A few points that made ours a success:

1. One of us was around all the time. Not to keep an eye on the builders, but to make decisions when required. Otherwise, the builder makes the choices for you. So, instead of a step in the ceiling in the kitchen, it's level. It's amazing how many decisions there are.

2. We chose a builder solely on the references he gave us. The price was pretty much irrelevant. You're going to live with the builder for several months and you're going to live with his handiwork for a long, long time.

3. Get them to reuse bricks taken from your walls during knock throughs to build the faces that will be seen. It makes your extension blend in from day one.

4. Treat the guys onside as friends. My wife made 65 cups of tea one day. She also gave out premium biscuits. That's because we treat people like that, but it had a pay-off, namely that there is generally a "right" and an "OK" way to do work. From conversations with the guys, we ended up with the "right" ways. They were good builders, so probably would have done it anyway, but being treated like human beings may have helped. Someone I know treated their builders like scum and got the job they deserved. Someone in one of the papers (Jeff Howell Sun Telegraph??) said that he worked for someone who didn't put insulation into extensions when he was treated badly and laughed that people would be paying for their rudeness for years to come.

Hope this helps,

V
Cost of Building an Extension - Mapmaker
I don't know where in the country Martin is, and I hate to dispute his professional opinion, but the current view when I've asked this question seems to be about £100 psf as a minimum, possibly as much as £150 psf. And then (much, much) more if it's going to be a Poggenpohl kitchen.
Cost of Building an Extension - Martin Devon
I don't know where in the country Martin is and I hate to dispute his
professional opinion but the current view when I've asked this question seems to be about
£100 psf as a minimum possibly as much as £150 psf.

Rural North Devon. Tight as a Sharks backside at 60 fathoms some of them!...But you can do it for £75.00. psf, but as I think I pointed out it has to be squareish, normal concrete tiles or slates, no prob's with deeper foundations or too much awkward drainage. For example:- Ceiling lines that follow the roof pitch require ridiculous amounts of dense insulation at blasphemy removed know's what cost and so it goes on, but it can be done, but £75.00. psf will be the minimum.

To the O.P. make sure that you keep nothing from your Builder and in addition make sure that the answers that he provides are actually answers to the question/s that you ask and not a series of maybe's, could be's etc. I am sure that you know what I mean.

You can quite easily double the above figure if your heart rules your head as it did for me before I got a brain. Similarly you can get brilliant Kitchens and Bathrooms for little money if you keep swmbo away from the little squirts in their ill fitting suits in showrooms and the 'sheds'

Pay the Builder a SMALL deposit as a commitment and make agreed stage payments, and make them on time. Don't be unreasonable which it is easy to do if you are inexperienced and don't take any 'bull' from him. It can be a very difficult time this building lark for both parties so make sure that you have everything in place BEFORE SIGNING.

If you are going out to tender, so to speak, ensure that you give everyone ALL of the SAME details and not a loose spec' based upon fresh air!

I have just received a set of three drawings for a large barn conversion with a likely value of 250K. There are NO, yes I repeat, NO dimensions whatsoever!!

Best of luck matey. Still come back if you need more help.

Very best regards...................................Martin.
Cost of Building an Extension - daveyjp
I'd agree on £80-100 sq ft, but as other have said fixtures and fittings can blow your budget. Go for handmade units and posh stone worksurfaces and a kitchen can quickly become £50,000.

An extra 10% spent on an architect for project management can be worth much more than this ito you n the long run. At the very minimum you should have a written contract with the builder giving start date, end date, payment terms etc.
Cost of Building an Extension - Mapmaker
Martin

As we're on the subject, can you explain to me why, when the cost of building is reputedly 100-150 psf (central London, highish spec), the cost of refurbishment of a Georgian townhouse house seems to come in closer to £200 psf.

Cost of Building an Extension - local yokel
We gutted and refitted a shell with a new kitchen. The cost from the screed up was: floor - £2,000, hand-made cabinets - £9,000, appliances - £2,000, granite worktops - £4,000, lighting/sparks - £1,000 and an Aga - £5,000 total £23,000. Plasterer was £2,400 inc the screeded floor. I project managed the whole job, and the cabinet maker was local, but very high quality.

Same cabinets from a specialist kitchen-maker would have cost about £15,000, who would marked up the rest by a good 25%.

SWMBO is happy at last....
Lidl and digital satellite receiver - Stuartli
I seem to recall a discussion recently about Lidl and its occasional offers of satellite receivers, dishes, LNBs etc.

From August 23rd it is again offering these items, including a Silvercrest digital satellite receiver (Silvercrest is a German distributor on similar lines to Aldi's Medion), a 57cm dish and various accessories in a £60 package.

The items can also be bought individually, including the receiver at £40.
Lidl and digital satellite receiver - normd2
I asked if they were any good and don't recall any reply - is this a reasonable substitute for Freeview (which I can't receive) and is anything else required other than the bits out of Lidl?
Lidl and digital satellite receiver - drbe
I recently switched to Sky's 'Pay once and watch forever' (or words similar) for a once off payment of £75 + p&p from Dixons (or Currys).

This includes mini-dish, box, card and remote. For the first 6 months you can opt for 2 channels from 'Variety, Knowledge, Kids, Style, Music and News' free of charge.

No subscription - unless, of course, you decide to opt in - much as I resent giving money to Murdoch, it seems to be a good deal.

Mine has now been up and running for 4 or 5 days, no problems at all. Currys and Dixons frequently run out of stock, but keep trying.

Did I mention that you get about 200 TV channels (mostly junk, but some are watchable) and about 100 radio stations?
I should have said that the price includes installation and set-up.
Lidl and digital satellite receiver - JH
d
you mean you get the kit AND someone comes out, shins up a ladder and bolts it to the wall for you?! Amazing.
JH
Yes and sets it up and shows you how to work the thing. Good value, considering we all HAVE to go digital soon(ish).
You are talking about Freesat.

Anyone who already has a Sky box can, IIRC, get the service for life for as little as a £20 payment.
PS

A lot of the channels are not of much interest:

www.freesatfromsky.co.uk/?pID=3
Lidl and digital satellite receiver - Welliesorter
There's a difference between Freesat from Sky and the DIY approach using the Lidl kits. Certain channels are free-to-view but not free-to-air. In other words, you don't pay for them but you still won't get them on a free-to-air satellite box that you can buy in a shop. An obvious example is Channel 4 and some of its offshoots.

This may change in the next year or so when the a BBC-sponsored Freesat service is launched.

See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freesat and en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freesat_from_Sky .
Lidl and digital satellite receiver - billy25
Has anybody heard of "Arab - Sat" ?? apparently for a one-off payment of £60 you get 80 cm dish (plus mounting brackets) - set top reciever and a signal strength meter + compass to assist in the "setting -up" and away you go" - allegedly most of the broadcasts are in English, and the dish can be "motorised". Cant wait for friend to set it up, looking forward to swapping from Sky"..

Billy

Arabsat - pmh
If the broadcasters listings are to be believed, there is not much in english, although some channels may have alternative sound transmissions.

link.arabsat.com/pr/TVlistchannelsAlph15-8-2007.pdf

However the £60 deal is reasonable deal for an 80cm dish package by uk standards. (heaper probably available in France). Just use it for another satellite!
--

pmh (was peter)

Arabsat - adverse camber
lyngsat is the definative guide to whats on what satellite.

www.lyngsat.com

A sky box will only receive certain channels - they are limited as to signal rates.

I have a couple of technomates a 9100 and a 1500 with a motorised dish. I get French, German, Spanish and UK stuff.

Plenty of films shown across europe are done with multiple soundtracks, so if your spanish isnt up to it you can listen in english.

realistically in the uk you are going to get sats between 40E and 40W. Most things of interest are on 13E(french, italian), 19E(german, spanish) and 28E (which is the one that sky use). 30W is popular with some (interesting late at night apparently)
5W has the french equiv of freeview for the moment
Arabsat - adverse camber
Just to say that its a good idea to get a receiver that has updateable software.
Not something I've taken much interest in, but the Lidl SilverCrest digital satellite receiver is stated to be pre-programmed for satellites Astra 19.2E, 28.2E, Eutel W2 16E, Hotbird 13 E, Sirius 2.4,8E, Amos/Atlantic 4.5W, HellasSat 39E, Turksat 42E and HispaSat 30W.

No doubt someone will be aware of what programmes can be picked up from these satellites.

Other features are auto search of 4,500 programmable channels, radio reception, 800 pages of videotext, plug and play etc.

My local Lidl still has some of the larger satellite dishes available from another recent offer.
PS

The information is now on Lidl's website, but it must be remembered that its offers are done on a regional basis and may be available earlier or later than in my area.
Lidl and digital satellite receiver - normd2
I can't find any info on the £75-for-life-deal-at-Curry's so was wondering about this kit from lidl - could the £20 Sky viewing card then be used in this receiver? Is this too simplistic? And is it simply a case of aiming the dish in the same direction as the neighbours?
Try Googling Dixons

Then TV & DVD

Then Sky receivers
Lidl and digital satellite receiver - adverse camber
I dont know what lidl are offering but it would need to have a card slot (not all do) and support the sky encryption system - this is unlikely on a cheap system.

freesatfromsky is £150 I thought. maybe comet have it on offer if you buy a tv or something?
>>
freesatfromsky is £150 I thought. maybe comet have it on offer if you buy a
tv or something?

>>

Currys and Dixons are offering 'Pay once and watch forever' (or a similar phrase) for £75 + P&P, which includes dish, card, remote, installation and setup. They are frequently sold out, but keep trying.

If I plug this offer once more, I shall be accused of working for them (I don't!)
Flash and new babies - bintang
Is it a good idea to take flash photos of new babies? I am worried there might be a danger to eyesight.
Flash and new babies - Stuartli
These links might prove of interest:

tinyurl.com/ysxzpe

www.forparentsbyparents.com/info_photos_tips.html

Most modern small digital cameras have relatively lower power flash outputs; even better could be fill-in flash.

I used to use a SLR or TLR with flash on occasions to photograph my own offspring (a long time ago now!), but covered the flash with a handkerchief; this was partially to reduce any possible effects of the flash and to avoid over-exposure at close range.

Flash and new babies - bintang
Many thanks for leads. It looks as if there is no problem.