What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I Have A Question - Volume 175 - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 176 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 175. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18847

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Potterton boiler problem - maz64
A couple of times in the last few days we've found that the central heating pump has been pumping after the heating should have turned off in the evening. There are no lights lit on the heating/water control unit, so it thinks it's off, and the bolier isn't lit. But, looking at the boiler, the red light is flashing.

Bolier is a Potterton Suprima 60L.

Press the bolier's 'reset' button, it fires up for a bit, and goes off (as it should) with the red light on steady (as I think it should).

Any ideas what might be causing this? Bolier is out of warranty- about 4 years old I think, regularly serviced.

Cheers
John
Potterton boiler problem - daveyjp
www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and_radio/watchdog/repor...l
www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and_radio/watchdog/repor...l

Thanks for this. In fact I just rang Potterton to find out how much it would cost to have someone come round, and they said no charge- couldn't believe it, but perhaps it's because of this known problem. (Or perhaps it's just a safety thing.)

Anyway, a man's coming round next Thursday, so hopefully it won't stop working altogether before then.

John
Potterton boiler problem - L'escargot
A couple of times in the last few days we've found
that the central heating pump has been pumping after the heating
should have turned off in the evening. There are no lights
lit on the heating/water control unit, so it thinks it's off,
and the bolier isn't lit.

We had a boiler (not Potterton) which did this by design. The idea was that water continued to flow through the boiler after the heating had switched off (particularly if the boiler had been lit at the point of switch-off) to cool the boiler heat exchanger and prolong its life. The thing which controlled this feature was a "pump over-run thermostat". Once the boiler heat exchanger temperature had reduced to a safe preset level, then the pump stopped. Is this perhaps what yours has got but you never noticed before?
--
L\'escargot.
Potterton boiler problem - henry k
>>The idea was that water continued to flow through the boiler after the heating had switched off........

IIRC this is a common feature.
It addition my system has an extra 15mm pipe (the flow is restricted by an inline tap with the handle removed) so that there is always a circuit for the flow even if only hot water is being heated.
I also understand that it used to stated that one rad ( normally in a bathroom) should have its valve always open to allow such circulation.
With the popular suggestion that all rads should fitted with thermostatic valves there is a risk that all are closed and the circulation stopped hence the arrangement in my system.
Potterton boiler problem - L'escargot
It addition my system has an extra 15mm pipe (the
flow is restricted by an inline tap with the handle removed)
so that there is always a circuit for the flow even
if only hot water is being heated.

A bypass circuit has been a common feature for yonks.
--
L\'escargot.
Potterton boiler problem - Altea Ego
I also understand that it used to stated that one rad ( normally in a bathroom) should have its valve always open to allow such circulation.

Not requred unless you have two seperate zone valves, or ALL the radiators have thermostatic valves,
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
I know that when you turn off the heating, it's a minute or two before the bolier stops making noises. But the fact that the pump keeps running long after the heating has gone off (> 1 hour) plus the flashing red light I think means it's a fault.

I've now RTFM and the technical term is 'intermittent lockout'. There are a number of causes given, such as a problem with the cathode in the sparking equipment, or a spark gap problem, or other things which could just be down to age rather than the Watchdog issue.

Thanks for your help.

John
Potterton boiler problem - Fullchat
Another common problem is the motors in the zone valves playing up. The motor closes the valve and a microswitch then turns the pump off,
I've had several of these play up over the years. the motors can be replaced seperatly on some valves and the problem is cured.
--
Fullchat
Potterton boiler problem - Bill Payer
Another common problem is the motors in the zone valves playing
up. The motor closes the valve and a microswitch then turns
the pump off,

Not on the Suprima - the boiler itself controls the Pump.

It does do a neat anti-jam thing where it runs the pump for a couple of minutes every 24 hrs, regardless of whether the system is in use or not.
Buying online and the sale of goods act. - mal
Hi, I am currently shopping around for a laptop and have found a good price from a well known retailer who also has nationwide stores. The one thing that concerned me about buying online was if anything should go wrong with it what then. I have concentrated on retailers that have also land based stores and they have all said should anything go wrong just return it to my local store. That is exept the one that is £100 cheaper than the rest , they have informed me that if anything should go wrong I should take it up with the manufacturer and not to return it to them or my local store
Now correct me if I am wrong, I always understood that, if the goods are faulty the sale of goods act placed full responsibly on the seller not the manufacturer. Purchasing online should not absolve them of their liabilities under that act as I see it.

Regards Mal.
Buying online and the sale of goods act. - Dalglish
... they have informed me that if ..

1. who is "they"? their m.d.; store manager, lawyers, web-site terms & conditions, ???
2. and in what form "have informed me " ? verbally or in writing (email, letter, web-site) ? ?

then you can take action by contacting trading standards.

Buying online and the sale of goods act. - mal
I rang customer services to have the following extract from the item page clarified.

Please note, this product is not covered by our 30-day return policy. In the event of goods being faulty the manufacturers warranty procedure must be adhered to. Special conditions apply in the event of returns. Please call....

It was then I was informed verbaly they would not accept a return if the goods were faulty, they said they would only accept a return if it was damaged during transit..
A t £594 against £699 it is a good saving but not worth the hassle if they will not accept a return to my local store in the event of it beng faulty although I do appreciate they do not in law have to accept returns to their local store. The point I am making is that they, not the suppliers are responsible.
BUT, I do take exeption to retailers not complyoing to the sale of goods act.

Regards Mal
Buying online and the sale of goods act. - Altea Ego
They are conforming with the sale of goods act. The warranty is offered by the manufacturer not the shop. It is common place in the computer industry.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
.. They are conforming with the sale of goods act. The warranty is offered by the manufacturer not the shop.

>>

i don't know until i read their t&c. no shop can take away your statutory rights. seller is always rsponsible. manufacturer may be if they are offering a manufacturers warranty in addition to the soga protection, that is fine. for a summary, see

www.dti.gov.uk/consumers/fact-sheets/page24700.html

(unless he was acting as the manufacturer's agent).

IN the computer business, shops are appointed as agents. Wonder why you never see Lenovo laptops in PC world? they are not authorised agents.

in this case the shop does not have to reaplace or repair the equipment, the manufacturer does or again uses the shop as its repair agent.

IN the PC game you are buying from the manufacturer, it just happens to be in someone elses shop.

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
.. (unless he was acting as the manufacturer's agent). ..

true (and a point which is covered in my dti link above) which in effect means that you are buying from the manufacturer.
and this "agency" fact should be there in the t&c.

Buying online and the sale of goods act. - David Horn
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >

Sorry, don't believe you. If the shop's name comes up on the credit card statement, as far as I'm aware it's their responsibility under the sale of goods act. You can't pick and choose various bits to apply. I'm entering into a contract with the shop, not the manufacturer - regardless of what the shop might think. It is immaterial whether a manufacturer designates "agents" or "retailers".
Buying online and the sale of goods act. - Stuartli
You would also be covered by the Distance Selling Act.

As TVM rightly points out, it's the retailer's responsibility to deal with any problems (although as I said it is sometimes quicker to go direct to the manufacturer such as in the case of monitors or other large items).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Buying online and the sale of goods act. - Bill Payer
Sorry, don't believe you. If the shop's name comes up
on the credit card statement, as far as I'm aware it's
their responsibility under the sale of goods act.

Absolutely.
It is immaterial whether a manufacturer designates "agents" or "retailers".

Unless you're advised of that fact. In my business, I act as an agent. 'My' customers orders are made out to the manufacturer and they pay the manufacturer direct. I then get a commission payment from the manufacturer.
I dont care if you believe me or not. Its a fact, sorry if you dont like it.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Buying online and the sale of goods act. - Bill Payer
It doesn't matter if it's true or not, it still doesn't affect the statutory legal obligations of the retailer, unless he took the payment on behalf of the manufacturer (ie, in the manufacturers name).

Cars are supplied by appointed dealers, but you have no legal recourse to the manufacturer in the event of a dispute.
reading small print - tyro
Modern life seems to be full of small print. Today I received my credit card bill, and with it, a leaflet entitled "Notice of Variation" which consists of 10 pages of small print.

It begins "We are making some changes to the agreement that applies to your -- Bank Credit Card. Please read this leaflet carefully and keep it for future reference." I wonder to myself whether anyone at all actually does that.

When should one read the small print, and when, if ever, should one ignore it?
reading small print - artful dodger {P}
Why not complain, if the small print is too small to read ask for a copy with larger text. You could explain that you cannot accept the new terms as they are illegible. At the very least it means they will have to supply you with them under the Disabilities Act (IIRC).

The bit you must read is what happens with any transaction in relation to interest if you do not pay within the required time. It is also useful to check any other obscure charges (e.g. using the card abroad can cost an extra 2.5%) that will be buried in the terms. Also check what happens if your card is used fraudulently or gets cloned (I have had this) as you might be looking at a bill on your account in 4 or 5 figures (mine was £2400 and took 3 months before they finally removed it).

Most terms and conditions are biased toward the issuing company and if you want to use the card you have no option but accept them. This does not mean they will always win, just 99.9999% of the time! Do keep the leaflet with your old statements, you never know when you might need to read it.

The best advice is to use a credit card as a billing account. This means you only buy what you need and settle the account fully every month. Never withdraw cash on a credit card, interest starts as soon as it is withdrawn as there is no interest free period.

--
Roger
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

reading small print - tyro
Thanks, Roger.

Just to clarify, my concern is not with the size of the print, but with the quantity of it, and the length of time it would take to read.

Nor is my problem simply with this particular leaflet from my credit card company (I mentioned it simply by way of illustration) - but with the fact that there seem to a huge number of things that corporations ask customers to read, and sometimes to agree with (e.g. 'terms and conditions') but know full well that only a tiny number will.
reading small print - defender
installing software on a computer is a prime example .how many people just tick the box without reading any of the terms?
reading small print - borasport20
I've just had a statement from a credit card that has a zero balance and has done for at least the past six months, but the statement runs to three pages, at least 1 1/2 of which are (very) small print relating to changes in conditions

including
APR 'could' be 26.75 % OR MORE
there will be a 3% handling fee for those credit card cheques that you put straight into the shredder
'you cannot use our credit card cheques to pay off any amounts you owe us'........

the very thought that there may be people out there using CC cheques to pay off the credit card company is almost enough to make me weep

--
Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
Telephone Home and Away card - Xileno {P}
I used to have a 'Home and Away' card from One-Tel which was great because when I was abroad by entering an account number & PIN I could make phone calls and redirect the cost to my UK bill.

Unfortunately One-Tel have terminated this.

Does anyone know of an equivalent sort of card? Where I visit has very poor mobile coverage.
Telephone Home and Away card - AlastairW
BT used to do something similar - perhaps they still do?
Telephone Home and Away card - Stuartli
Some possibilities:

tinyurl.com/27q9by

www.planetphonecards.com/store.asp/cat=1

www.ecallingcards.co.uk/default.asp/phonecard=7

www.pcouk.co.uk/direct/pcodirect/abroad.asp
Returning items to computer sellers - mfarrow
Hi

I would like some clarification on computer item returns policies following the other thread on here, as I had a similar problem some years ago.

I purchased an Epson scanner from a well known large online retailer. Almost out of the box, the scans were displaying red streaks down the middle, which got worse the more items I scanned.

I tried to send it back to the retailer under the 28 day policy for a refund, but was told through their online RMA process that I would have to ring Epson and get an RMA off them in order to return the item to the retailer. I thought it was a bit odd, and funnily enough so did Epson. What was going on there, and who was right?

--------------
Mike Farrow
Returning items to computer sellers - sine
dabs.com?

I don't know but getting an RMA from a manufacturer and sending the product to the retailer seems rather awkward.
Also some companies e.g. Western Digital offer their own RMA service and you don't need to contact the retailer to return a faulty product. You just return it to WD.

How did you return it in the end?
Returning items to computer sellers - Stuartli
The responsibility lies with the retailer.

However, some advise that you contact the manufacturer direct as it proves quicker than returning it to them who, in turn, then send the item back to the manufacturer.

It does, of course, depend on the type of product purchased.
Buying stuff in Florida, sales tax - smokie
I'm off to Florida on Thursday. I'm thinking about buying a digital SLR camera while I'm there. Can I claim back the state sales tax in the same way that (I think) foreigners here can claim back VAT, if so is it done in the shop or somehow else? (Looks like it's different in different counties, somewhere between 6.5 and 7.5%.)

(I'm aware that I need to - ahem - declare it to customs on my return...)
Buying stuff in Florida, sales tax - artful dodger {P}
Not to my knowledge is it possible to reclaim Florida sales tax. Several years ago when I visited Florida IIRC the sales tax was only 4.5%.

My advice to you is to research what model of camera and accessories you wish to buy and how much you can buy them for in the UK using the Internet, BEFORE you leave for Florida. Without this information you will have nothing to use for comparison and remember the camera dealers mainly display their goods without price tags. It is very much buyer be aware of what it should cost or get fleeced. You should also check you have a world wide warranty, a US based one will be useless to you if it goes wrong.

With regard to customs you will certainly have VAT to pay, but not sure about duty. Remember if Customs stop you and you fail to declare the camera, claiming you bought it in the UK, they will check the serial number against those issued to the UK. If they find you lied you will have a tough time and a rigorous search.

--
Roger
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Buying stuff in Florida, sales tax - Altea Ego
Nope - state sales tax is not reclaimable on export.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Buying stuff in Florida, sales tax - David Horn
Buy it, post the documentation home, and then fill it with photos of your holiday and carry *just* the camera back with you.
Investing £350,000 - M.M
Talking to a relative we are helping at the moment and a bit out of my depth in discussing investing £350,000. They had heard returns of up to 12% were possible but I could only see 6% net of tax when looking round the internet.

Obviously a financial adviser will be consulted soon but just so I have a basic understanding anyone here have experience of investing such sums?

BTW has to be a cast iron safe investment where around £35,000 a year can be drawn off.

Thanks,

DW
Investing £350,000 - local yokel
Anyone offering a guaranteed rate of return much higher than the BoE base rate is probably peddling a dodgy scheme.

As you suggest, your relative really needs to see a truly independent financial advisor, who will take account not just of the £350k capital, but their other assets etc, and also advise on the income and capital gains tax issues.

There may well be people who have achieved 12% historically, in a rising market, perhaps using higher-risk strategies, but no-one can guarantee such a return going forward.
Investing £350,000 - Dalglish
....BTW has to be a cast iron safe investment where around £35,000 a year can be drawn off ..

the only cast iron method that i know of is to buy an annuity. the return will depend on the age/health/lifestyle of the person and in most cases the sum invested will die with the person.

Investing £350,000 - M.M
Thanks guys... particularly for the annuity idea. Heard of them but never looked into them so will do now.

DW
Investing £350,000 - buzbee
You may think I have too jaundiced a view of IFA's but my advice on using them is not to sign anything when they visit you. However nice and friendly a chat you have had. Go away and think about it. You rarely lose anything significant by keeping the money in the bank a bit longer while you consider it.

Remember the 4.5% (or whatever it is now) of your money that they will pocket for signing you up is great incentive to do something for you.
Investing £350,000 - local yokel
Drawing off 10% of the lump sum will very quickly run down the entire capital amount, of course.

Using 5% rate of return, and drawing the £35k off at the end of the year, it will last 14.25 years very roughly. At 6% it lasts for 15.75 years.
Investing £350,000 - Dalglish
.. particularly for the annuity idea. Heard of them but never looked into them so will do now..

m.m :
you should find out in particular about "purchased life annuity". see if these are any help -
www.sharingpensions.co.uk/pension_annuity9.htm#tex...2
"...has a large lump sum and want a guaranteed income for the rest of their life can benefit from purchased life annuities ...
Capital protection
This feature is unique to a purchased life annuity. Capital protection can be selected rather than a guaranteed period. A guaranteed period would continue to make payments up to 5 or 10 years after the annuity was purchased even it the annuitant dies. "

www.williamburrows.com/ann/annuity.aspx
www.williamburrows.com/retire/pla.aspx
"....The advantages of Purchased Life Annuities
Higher income that form cash or deposits account*
Reduced tax - tax only paid on part of each income payment
Especially suited to older investors
Guaranteed income payments
Can be single or joint life
Minimum purchase £ 5,000 no maximum
Enhanced rates for those with below average life expectancy ..."

Investing £350,000 - M.M
Thanks again... will follow those extra links a bit later.

We are very cautious of the IFA situation having been verbally assulted by one in the past when I pointed out the flaws in his advice!

And Local Yokel you are right about the diminishing sum due to the yearly draw. It's even worse because the actual first year draw is nearer £40,000 and this requirement itself could rise by 5-10% each year.

Yep it's the nursing home dilemma!

DW
Investing £350,000 - nick
Try looking at the Motley Fool website if you haven't already. They don't give investment advice directly but do explain the different investment vehicles available.

Investing £350,000 - PhilW
"Yep it's the nursing home dilemma!"
The real answer is probably to move to Scotland!

Just been through the same process with an elderly uncle in law. Luckily, brother in law took care of the details so I am not too aware of what was done - except that UiL had a lot less money than £350k - less than half that even when house was sold-and he has ended up in a wonderful place with a superb room overlooking the sea and excellent care (despite the fact that he doesn't really know where he is!) - I've put my name down for the future already!
I do know that social services were VERY helpful with regard to ways preserving his capital, various grants/tax relief etc so that he would be able to survive for many years without his capital being eroded too much. The reasoning being, I suppose, that they don't want to be landed with the cost of his keep in a few years.
May be worth you having a word with them - they must have lots of experience - not much help with investment I realise but they might be a great help with " nursing home dilemma!"
Good luck

--
Phil
Investing £350,000 - Pugugly {P}
Buy a couple of terraced houses.
Investing £350,000 - M.M
Had a cruise round Motley Fool thanks Nick.

Phil I hadn't thought of social services because we'd gone straight to the private nursing home when things went *wrong*... we'll speak to them. Scotland... I'd move there myself like a shot if the opportunity arose for so may other reasons before we even got to the nursing home benefits.

Two terraced houses would be great PU but for the fact that the months combined rent after maintenance outgoings would only pay one weeks care fees so we would need to immediately draw on the capital which was tied up in the houses. We had considered it because ourselves we have made more from property over the last 30yrs than any other investment type and would chose land/property every time we had some spare cash.

DW
Investing £350,000 - No FM2R
Have you toyed with the idea of a terrace in Scotland with live-in (and paid) help ? Clearly the first 5 years or so are going to be the worst for the capital before house price growth takes hold, but if you can weather that it should start to work out ok.

What about if you buy two houses with a deposit and a buy-to-rent mortgage (typically interest only) and invest the remaining capital. Perhaps you would be able to fund the nursing home that way and later draw down more equity to keep it going.

Finally, and I'm sure I can think of at least 50 reasons that it wouldn't work - but they have investment property, nursing homes and nurses in inland Spain - and its a whole lot cheaper than here, not to mention better weather for old folk.

I suspect your answer is going to be some kind of combination effect - either two or more things at the same time, or phase one now and phase two later;, but I'm afraid that its not my field and so I can only vaguely suggest. There are others here better placed to know.
Investing £350,000 - M.M
Well your thoughts are closer to our wishes than you may have expected... but it is shifting the mindset of a difficult 83yr old that is the problem.

Our plan was to move them into a more modest house with low running costs in a cheaper area (but still very close to relatives) and buy in the daily nursing help... this would save £25k/yr over full retirement home costs. It would also release 40% of the original house sale costs to be invested to offset these initial nursing costs... and still retain ownership of a property that will escalate in price giving something to fund stage two.

DW
Sharpening knives - update - barchettaman
We followed SjB´s example and got a Füritec diamond fingers sharpening thingy from the US via Amazon, branded as Ozitech. And a very impressive, easy-to-use piece of kit it is too, it really does the job superbly. Thanks all for the advice. as always.
Sharpening knives - update - SjB {P}
No probs; thanks for the feedback, and glad to know you're sorted.
Repairing mortar in flagged paving - BazzaBear {P}
Imagine for a moment that I don't know the first thing about this. I mean really, I'm absolutely clueless, so much so, that I don't even know what questions I should be asking. See if you can imagine this far-fetched supposition, and bearing it in mind, read the following:
What do I do?
I have a patio of quite nice, decorative stone flags, and a pathway of just standard flags. In both cases there's not much in the way of mortar (or whatever should be there) left between flags, and in the case of the pathway, this is allowing some grass/weed growth.
What should I put there to get rid of the unsightly gaps, and discourage the unsightly weeds? The easier / cheaper (but appearance is important particularly for the patio) the better.
Thanks in advance.
Repairing mortar in flagged paving - pmh
If you are looking for a very quick easy (but expensive) solution go down the polymer/resin based sand route for patio flagstones.
www.pavingexpert.com/point_romex01.htm

If you go to that site index, it provides plenty of good practical advice on alternative methods.

--

pmh (was peter)

Thanks, I will have a look at that.
I love the first point on the page:
Must be capable of being brushed-in by the site numpty without messing it up
That is so about me :)
The Rompox Easy sounds absolutely ideal, but can't seem to find any suppliers. Don't reckon someone in Germany would be too happy to ship me one tub!
Repairing mortar in flagged paving - pmh
You can buy similar branded products from major building suppliers. Wickes used to supply but whether still do I am not sure.

Remember once you open the sealed bag it must all be used very quickly.
--

pmh (was peter)

Revolving doors - Big Bad Dave
In different countries, do they rotate in relation to which side of the road they drive on?

For example, they're all anti-clockwise in Poland.
Revolving doors - L'escargot
For example, they're all anti-clockwise in Poland.

Every single one? That's some serious research you've done! ;-)
--
L\'escargot.
Revolving doors - Big Bad Dave
"That's some serious research you've done! "

It's really how people behave in them that fascinates me. Those huge ones in shopping precincts or Ikea. I get very irritated by people who enter them, then walk round the glass in a circular motion and exit. It's better to enter and walk ahead in a straight line.
Revolving doors - BazzaBear {P}
The ones in my office building are also anti-clockwise. Looks like Napoleon got his way even in the UK where doors are concerned.
Revolving doors - Pugugly {P}
Revolving doors became a metaphor for poor old Napoleon's life. Anti clockwise at our local NHS Customer Service centre..
mobile tracking service - BazzaBear {P}
Anyone come across this site before:
www.sat-gps-locate.com/ {link made non clickable. Disclaimer - open at your own discretion, and preferably not whilst you are using your employers computer - DD}

Sounds interesting, and I was about to put in my own number, but then the thought occurred that it could be a way of farming numbers. Should I be cautious?
mobile tracking service - Altea Ego
dont panic, its just BBD and his sister.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
mobile tracking service - Big Bad Dave
The pretty one or the ugly one?
mobile tracking service - local yokel
I didn't think BBD was into incest?

Bazza - good joke though.....
I didn't think BBD was into incest?
Bazza - good joke though.....

Have I told a joke? I don't understand...
Ah. Now I do.
Mods might want to decide to remove that link. I honestly didn't realise :o

{I've made it non clickable, and added a disclaimer comment - DD}
put your numbe rin and see
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
dont panic, its just BBD and his sister.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >

This now makes a lot more sense.
mobile tracking service - Pugugly {P}
Followus.co.uk offer the same service, reliable and works within national codes of practice.
Followus.co.uk offer the same service,

having now looked at it, I bet they don't!
looks like practise not required either
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Elderly person gifting to relative - tax - M.M
Anyone know how much an elderly person can gift in any one year to a relative so there is no tax liability on either side... and no problem if the elderly person dies within X years afterwards?

Any links to good sites that explain it in easy to understand terms would be a great help.

Thanks,

DW
Elderly person gifting to relative - tax - local yokel
You can give away £3,000 in each tax year without paying Inheritance Tax. You can carry forward all or any part of the £3,000 exemption you don't use to the next year but no further. This means you could give away up to £6,000 in any one year if you hadn't used any of your exemption from the year before.

You can't use your 'annual exemption' and your 'small gifts exemption' together to give someone £3,250. But you can use your ' annual exemption' with any other exemption, such as the ' wedding/civil partnership ceremony gift exemption'. So, if one of your children marries or forms a civil partnership you can give them £5,000 under the wedding/civil partnership gift exemption and £3,000 under the annual exemption - a total of £8,000.

Gifts over the amount above are counted in the estate of the donor for seven years, and so attract IHT if the probate value of the estate exceeds the IHT threshold at the time. Threshold ~ £250,000.

tinyurl.com/2hgy4g
Elderly person gifting to relative - tax - Dalglish
Any links to good sites that explain it in easy to understand terms would be a great help.

m.m :
to add to lokal-yokel's reply. the hmrc (good old "inland revenue") guides are pretty good. this link may help
www.hmrc.gov.uk/cto/customerguide/page6.htm#7
note:
1. if any iht is due, it has to to be paid by the estate, not the person receiving the gift.
2. most, if not all, gifts are tax free for the recipient.
3. the threshold for iht curretnly is £285,000 and will rise in future years as per the table published at the 2006 budget.
4. potentially exempt gifts are those within the 7 year rule. there is no limit to how much you can give away and, for example, if you were as rich as bill-gates and gave away £5 billion and lived for 7 years after that date, there would be no iht to pay on that gift. if you die within the 7 year period, there is a reduction available,
www.hmrc.gov.uk/cto/glossary.htm#Taperrelief
" If the total chargeable value of all the gifts made between three and seven years before a death is more than the threshold at death, then taper relief is due. The relief reduces the amount of tax payable on a gift, not the value of the gift itself. The Customer Guide to Inheritance tax explains how to calculate taper relief. "
www.hmrc.gov.uk/cto/customerguide/page13-1.htm

Elderly person gifting to relative - tax - Bill Payer
I've always wondered how on earth HMRC could monitor these thing - and once the giver dies, who's going to tell them?
Thank you for that info and link. Doesn't £3000/yr seem mean in the scheme of things. I suppose that is per tax year?

So if arranged quickly there could be a £3000 gift up to 31st March 2007, plus £3000 because the person has never gifted before in a previous year and then another £3000 after 1st Apil 2007 for that year then a max of £3000/yr ongoing??

What I am trying to do is find a legal and fair way for an elderly relative to pay another relative to care for them a few hours a day ( which will be far more cost effective than the elderly person going into a home at £40,000/yr. This payment being essential as the caring relative who had previously worked will now only be able to do so part time.

DW
If the payment is for care received then it's not a gift, it's pay. So long as the carer has a simple employment agreement, declares the income, and the person receiving the care pays any employers' NI, then it's all above board. The NI threshold will be £87/week in 2007/8.
Most local firms of accountants/book-keepers will be happy to administer a payroll in such circumstances for a very realistic amount if done on a monthly basis. The benefit is a) simplicity and b) a superb audit trail should HMRC wish to investigate (highly unlikely)
Elderly person gifting to relative - tax - Dalglish
m.m - david:
you could take the route hinted at by bill-payer, but i can see you wnat to keep it all above board and legal. the hmrc are very understanding and straightforward about these matters if my own recent experience is anything to go by. when dealing with the estate, they expect you to fill in the forms truthfully to the best of your knowledge, and in my case even though there were very complex and potentially large tax bills to pay, the inspector offered to deal with the matter in a simple informal way by suggesting a figure of iht to pay to "finally close the books". this was a generous offer as it saved iht and also saved both parties from having to do long winded complex calculations and negotiations with nothing other than very poor records kept by the deceased.

anyway, in your case, the carer could be given the gifts as stated by you plus more and if the relative dies withing 7 years of the "excess" gifts, the tax payable will be from the estate. as i said "relief reduces the amount of tax payable on a gift, not the value of the gift itself".
the relative and carer should also see what if any state help is available to "carers". and even if the relative was, in additon to the gift, to pay a "wage" to the carer, the tax and ni implications may not be so great - it all depends on the income and tax postion of the carer.

i know you prefer to avoid financial advisors, so perhaps you could try and find a clued-up citizens advice place instead.

Top quality thoughts and advice thanks.

I am inclined towards splitting the payment into the max gift of £3000 then a properly set up monthly payment for the rest. It would be appropriate as the carer will have a great deal of non-specific costs and a 24hr stand-by responsibility over and above the actual hours spent caring.

In fact it may well be appropriate to raise that lump sum element of the payment above the tax threshold so on the death of the elderly person the group of relatives in the will share that liability (if any)... least they could do when one of their number will be taking on all the actual work and they will just be visiting now and again for a sherry!!

David
Elderly person gifting to relative - tax - nick
Get the elderly relative to get all the money they want to give away in cash and put it under the bed. A person unknown (you with a stocking over your head and with agreement from said relative) breaks in one day when they are out and steals the lot.
Everyone is happy ;-)
Elderly person gifting to relative - tax - PhilW
David,
As I said in a previous post, I am not too sure about these things, but I think that there is a grant available from Social Services (not much but worth considering) of £40(?) a week for "carers". It might help you- worth an enquiry? Don't forget that NHS/Social Sevices are all to anxious to avoid full cost of caring for elderly/disabled and they might give you good advice? Just a thought.

--
Phil
Elderly person gifting to relative - tax - PhilW
A couple of links which might (or might not) be useful
www.welfarebenefits.org.uk/carers_allowance.html
www.carersuk.org/Information/Financialhelp/CarersA...e
www.dwp.gov.uk/localoffice/disability/offices/du_c...p
www.durham.gov.uk/durhamcc/usp.nsf/pws/Advice+Bene...e

Every little helps!
--
Phil
SjB and IHAQ 124 - Rebecca {P}
SjB - in IHAQ 124 on 6th April last year your annual visiting ducks had recently arrived.

Have they arrived yet this year? 'Mine' appeared about 10 days ago (Hampshire)

I know. I really am trying to get out more.

Rebecca
SjB and IHAQ 124 - SjB {P}
Hi Rebecca,

We have since moved house, so unfortunately I can't give you the answer.
Funnily enough though, because the ducks always appeared when I was performing the annual service on my wife's car, I thought of our conversation only yesterday; the connection was buying the oil for this year's service!

SjB
SjB and IHAQ 124 - signs of spring - Brian Tryzers
My most startling early spring observation this year was seeing the first queen wasp before the end of February. I reckon that's at least three weeks too early.
SjB and IHAQ 124 - Big Bad Dave
I had no idea that peacocks could fly until I saw one in my garden this week.
SjB and IHAQ 124 - Altea Ego
Well my tweedle Tweedle birds (they are small black and white and go tweedle tweedle tweedle) are back in the nest box this year, similar time scale to last year, The robin is back in his nest box, on a similar timescale. The woodpecker over on the canal bank across the feild is hammering away making holes - again similar timescale to last year.

The grapevine is sprouting early, the pear tree has blossom on it early AND HONEY BEES! now that is really early,
and the grass needed to be mown though the "winter" and the rose bush has been blooming for nigh on 12 months solid.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
SjB and IHAQ 124 - Pugugly {P}
Big snow on the way Monday, so much for global warming eh, I'm off to rev the Beemer for a bit hoping it'll improve the weather.
House not registered at Land Registry - L'escargot
We've just viewed a house built in 1986 which is not registered at the Land Registry office. It was built by the vendor, who is now retired but who was formerly registered with NHRBC and so presumably is/was reputable. He also built others on the same site, and elsewhere. Does the non-registration of the property have any legal (or other) significance? Are there any risks attached to buying a non-registered property? The Land Registry manual search document says "No registered estate, caution against first registration or application for first registration or application for a caution against first registration is shown on the index map in relation to the Property." How does someone prove ownership if there are no title deeds/documents?
--
L\'escargot.
House not registered at Land Registry - Pugugly {P}
If you ask him nicely he might do it before the sale ! Normally this will get picked up on the searches and you will have to register before completion - I am now dealing with a long standing client (of a religious establishment) as a rival organisation has attempted to register their property (or God's depending how you look at it !). Is this guy the owner/occupier ?
House not registered at Land Registry - geoff1248
I recall talking to my solicitor about stamp duty some time ago. He told me that stamp duty wasn't a legal requirement but you couldn't have the property registered without having paid this duty. So I assume that the duty will become payable if you try to register the land.
House not registered at Land Registry - mare
I recall talking to my solicitor about stamp duty some time
ago. He told me that stamp duty wasn't a legal requirement
but you couldn't have the property registered without having paid this
duty. So I assume that the duty will become payable if
you try to register the land.

>>

Er, no:

From HMRC website - www.hmrc.gov.uk/so/sdlt-basics.htm

"When SDLT applies
SDLT is a tax on transactions, not documents. When you buy a property or land, you must fill in a land transaction return (SDLT1) and send it to HMRC. Your conveyancer/solicitor will normally complete the return for you as part of handling the transaction. But legally, you are responsible for the information submitted."

Please try telling HMRC that stamp duty is not a legal requirement........
If you ask him nicely he might do it before the
sale !

I can charm the birds out of a tree when I want to! Am I right in thinking that the advantages of him registering it beforehand is that he would foot the bill* and that the purchase would be simpler?

*What would be the approximate cost?
Is this
guy the owner/occupier ?

Hes ~ he built the property for his own use in 1986 and has lived there ever since.
--
L\'escargot.
Hes ~...............

Should have said "Yes ~ ............"!
--
L\'escargot.
House not registered at Land Registry - local yokel
www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2006/20061332.htm details current fees.

Value, standard charge, reduced rate for voluntary registration

0?50,000 40 30
50,001?80,000 60 45
80,001?100,000 100 75
100,001?200,000 150 110
200,001?500,000 220 165
500,001?1,000,000 420 315