What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I Have A Question - Volume 172 - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 173 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PCs. Please use the current "computer Related Questions" thread instead.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details
www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 172. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18847

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

TV. DVD. speaker connection - wemyss
I have a Sony LCD TV and a Sony DVD hard disk player connected together.
Both of them are virtually new and I was thinking of connecting the audio out into an existing Hi-Fi system speakers through the amplifier.
This is a Sharp and over 20 years old which has phono inputs for AUX which according to its book will take an audio signal in from an outside source.
My question is that as both the TV and DVD have audio out phono connections which one should I use or does it make no difference.
I would have to buy some long leads whichever and have seen 6 metre lengths with male phono connections which I presume would be what I need?.

wemyss
TV. DVD. speaker connection - BB
Try them both and use the one that sounds best :-)

www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showprodu...4 is the type of cable you need to go for. Best value for money.
TV. DVD. speaker connection - BazzaBear {P}
You should get the better quality sound by going straight for the DVD player, since it's not being routed through another appliance unnecessarily. Of course, the obvious drawback with that is you'll only be able to use the hi-fi when watching DVD's. So it's basically your choice:
DVD = quality (although of course it may not be noticeable)
TV = Usability - you should be able to put the sound from anything you're watching through the hi-fi.

Oh - another thought occurs too - if you use the TV outputs, chances are changing the volume on the TV will effect the output to the hi-fi. If you use the DVD ones, you'll have to adjust that volume separately.
TV. DVD. speaker connection - wemyss
Thanks for your replies and help.
wemyss
DIY Experts - advice needed - henry k
....can somebody please advise the best way of removing these screw stumps from the wall without damaging the tiled surface.

Some further thoughts.
Do the flanges significantly overlap the screw holes?
If the holes get enlarged a little they will still not be seen when the radiator is refitted?

If you are not aware, you do not have to use traditional rawlplug type devices the next time round.
You can use a product like Rawlplug "plug and repair" that you mix and stuff in any hole, especially any irregular or off line holes.
It comes on a reel in a polythene sleeve. You tear off a length, mould/mix it like putty in your fingers, shape it roughtly, ram it in the hole. Then just just push a nail and then pull it out to make a pilot hole for the screw.
It hardens quite quickly and then you just screw into it .
I have used it for many years as it is so so difficult to drill a hole where intended in my hard walls.

www.diytools.co.uk/product.aspx/8001/227/2362!TB_R...2

DIY Experts - advice needed - BazzaBear {P}
That sounds a fantastic product Henry, never come across that before.I'll be looking out for that on my next trip to the DIY store.
DIY Experts - advice needed - chukter

>>>>Do the flanges significantly overlap the screw holes?>>>>

Unfortunately there is very little overlap, hence my need to try and remove the old screw stumps.
DIY Experts - advice needed - L'escargot
You can get screw removal kits. Focus currently sell one for £3 or so. (I've got one but I haven't tried it yet so I don't know how good it is.)
--
L\'escargot.
DIY Experts - advice needed - artful dodger {P}
>>You can get screw removal kits.

You can only use these if you have a screw head that has been chewed. I use one that cost £15.00, but is a professional quality with hard steel, I doubt if a £3.00 set would last anytime.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
DIY Experts - advice needed - henry k
You can get screw removal kits. Focus currently sell one for £3 or so.
(I've got one but I haven't tried it yet so I don't know how good it is.)

The screws used for the radiator will probably be about # 8 so IMO the only way to remove them is by drilling out the steel stub or enlarging the original holes.
In effect drilling several times around the stub so that the rawl plug is fragmented.
Some enIarging of the hole is inevitable but provided this is away from the edge of the flange it should not show.
DIY Experts - advice needed - Mazda-Man
Irwin produce a socket set for removing studs - it was demonstrated on one of the TV shopping channels today - will see if I can find it.
DIY Experts - advice needed - Mazda-Man
www.qvcuk.com/ukqic/qvcapp.aspx/app.detail/params....9
Domestic water tap questions - L'escargot
I'm hoping to be able to renovate a pair of 1950s 3/4" bib (or globe) taps by fitting more modern headworks.

Before I start taking the old ones apart it would help if I knew the following.

(1) What is the thread likely to be in the body of the 1950s taps?
(2) What spanner size is likely to be needed to remove the 1950s headworks? (Don't say "adjustable" ~ I want to do the job properly.)
(3) What spanner size corresponds to a measured a/f hexagon of 22.6 mm (0.89") on the more modern headworks?

You can get as technical as you like on the subjects of both threads and spanner sizes!
--
L\'escargot.
Domestic water tap questions - horatio
3) Spanner sizes are across the flats so a 19mm spanner has a 19mm gap, assuming you measured the tap across the flats to be 22.6mm you will need a 23mm (uncommon but you can buy them) or 24mm spanner (which you might already have) - and if the gap is too big with a 24mm you can put in a strip of metal like a hacksaw blade or 2 - forgotten what you call it when you pack it out like that.

2) Do you mean the bits inside, i.e. the bits you can't see and measure yet? - dunno but when you do see them you can measure them.

1) Dunno

But I reckon a stilson wrench with some cloth wrapped on the tap will work better than a spanner, because I can see the spanner not fitting snugly due to the rounded shape of the tap and it scratching or slipping off.
www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?Referrer=IndexSite&P...0
>But I reckon a stilson wrench with some cloth wrapped on the tap will work better than a spanner

Or 2 pads of rubber
or a leather belt
Domestic water tap questions - John R @ Work {P}
Horatio,

I think you are referring to...

shim (shĭm) Pronunciation Key
n. A thin, often tapered piece of material, such as wood, stone, or metal, used to fill gaps, make something level, or adjust something to fit properly.

tr.v. shimmed, shim·ming, shims
To fill in, level, or adjust by using shims or a shim.
Regards,
John R @ Work :¬)
A shim, yes that's the word I was looking for thanks.
Domestic water tap questions - wemyss
The internal thread on the body is a very fine thread and unless it has changed recently is the same now as in the 50s. I have changed many old taps with replacement heads and they all fit.
The spanner sizes we would have used in those days were Whitworth.
With some taps the gap between the bonnet and the body after being unscrewed will not lift far enough even with the spindle open to get more than a thin spanner into unscrew the body.
As I think I mentioned before it is easier to take the tiny screw holding the handle and tap it off which will enable you to remove it.
You may well need to do this anyway as often a spanner is insufficient and you need a big King Dick adjustable and a few taps on it with a lump hammer to break the joint.
Shock is far better than leverage on these things.
Same for anyone trying to remove a tight immersion heater from a copper cylinder. A couple of firm whacks on a tight spanner is far kinder than levering.
3) Just realised you were thinking which old size would be 22.6mm
www.baconsdozen.co.uk/tools/spanners.htm#whitworth
Gives some conversion charts

The nearest AF is 7/8 which is 22.22mm which you may find to be too small next size up is AF 15/16 23.81mm which is bigger than a 23mm metric spanner.

BSF nearest is 9/16 OR a Whitworth 1/2 which are both 23.37mm across the flats, and so both are bigger than a 23mm metric.

Conclusion, buy and use a 23mm because atleast you will be able to use it again (maybe) one day.
Only £3.13 on this page + post £4.95 = £8.08 inc VAT might be cheaper from your local shop.
www.abbeypowertools.co.uk/subprod/metric-combinati...x

cheaper here but beware postage about £5 - £6
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B0002BUYMQ/ref=d...9
Orange broadband TV advert - keo-the-dog
As heading have you seen the ad . I want to know what is the song and who sings it. I call it the white monkey song...Cheers...Keo.
Orange broadband TV advert - horatio
Do you mean this one?
www.visit4info.com/static/advert_pages/34013.cfm?b...m

To play the ad "click here for short preview"
Orange broadband TV advert - horatio
Or one of these?
www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Orange+broadb...d
Orange broadband TV advert - keo-the-dog
Got it , it's little yellow spider by Devendra Banhart. Thanks for the help...Keo.
One of the best videos I have ever seen - uk_in_usa
Apologies if this is off-topic or inappropriate but I just enjoyed this so much I wanted to share it with people

www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfGMOvPzrvE
Homebuyer surveys - good value? - edisdead {P}
I am thinking of purchasing a property which was constructed five years ago. It is covered by the balance of a standard 10 year NHBC warranty. The house is visibly in an excellent state of repair and decoration inside and out. I would like to save money where possible in the house buying process, for example, by renting a van and moving myself instead of using a removal firm.

My question: should I have an independent homebuyer's survey conducted, and how much should I expect this to cost? Is this invaluable information and money well spent for the sake of peace of mind, or is it a waste of time and money that gives me no more information than I could reasonably work out myself by thoroughly inspecting the property. For and against arguments please?

Thanks in advance

Ed.
Homebuyer surveys - good value? - artful dodger {P}
Have you tried moving all the contents of a house, even a small one? It is incredibly hard work and difficult to pack to ensure no damage. You might also find your insurance will not cover any damage in transit or loss. I would recommend getting a number of quotes, some you will find are double others.

House surveys can be described as follows.
Valuation - agent drives by the house
Homebuyers - agent gets out of car and walks around inside and outside house
Full - agent check property thoroughly to see if correctly build and obvious faults, but will not check, electrics, plumbing, heating, appliances, etc.

My advice would be to go and look closely at the house. Take your time and make notes. Do not worry about offending the vendor, he may be trying to cover something up that you will only discover once you move in. Check for cracks in walls (inside and out), see if floors are level (a bottle is useful), do all the lights and sockets work, do all the windows and doors fit well, are there any damp patches on the walls or ceilings (especially under a bathroom), check all taps and flush any toilets, have any of the rooms been decorated recently - if so ask why, are kitchen cupboards fitted securely, check the loft, etc., etc. All of these checks are what a full survey will cover. You might find it useful to take a pair of binoculars to check the roof.

If you do not feel you have sufficient knowledge to do these checks then take someone you know and trust with you, but do not get distracted from the job in hand. As the house is only 5 years old you should have few problems, but a chat with a few of the neighbours might prove useful to see if the house has had any problems.

Alternatively you can pay a surveyor.

--
Roger
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Homebuyer surveys - good value? - nick
If you use common sense you can spot any major problems yourself, especially in a property of that age. If your're not comfortable with that either take a knowlegeable friend or give a decent builder a few drinks to do a viewing with you.
Homebuyer surveys - good value? - daveyjp
If the house is 5 years old my first question is what was on the land 10 years ago. Homebuyers can be excellent or pretty poor, as ever it depends on the surveyor. A local surveyor may have knowledge about the area or the development you may be unaware of. My sister bought a new house and wasn't going to have a survey. I advised her to and a number of problems were found. Look at is as insurance, a Homebuyers should cost you no more than a few hundred pounds probably less than your car insurance, but it could find something which may cost thousands to fix. If you don't have the survey it's your problem, if you do then at least you can blame someone else.

>>If you don't have the survey it's your problem, if you do then at least you can blame someone else

You jest, of course. Surveys are full of 'it appears that', 'we are led to understand that', 'may', 'possibly' etc etc followed by advice to get in an 'expert'.
If you look at what surveyors actually say you'll find their backsides are covered by all manner of get-out clauses and waffle phrases.

>>My sister bought a new house and wasn't going to have a survey. I advised her to and a number of problems were found.

Do you mean brand new? If so, these sound like the sort of 'snags' which are pretty common and the builder will fix. If it's an old house, how much would the faults have cost to fix against the cost of a survey? Were they so bad that an aware person couldn't spot them? If your sister doesn't know a soffit from a lintel then yes, she needs some guidance, but that could be provided in better ways than a survey.
"Do you mean brand new? If so, these sound like the sort of 'snags' which are pretty common and the builder will fix. "

Yes brand new. Snags are minor errors made during construction. Failures such as roof edgings being placed the wrong way so drip tips don't do their job causing water to cascade down the walls causing damp, air bricks below soil level (my sister didn't even know they were there) etc aren't snags, they are major problems with potentially expensive repairs. My sister would never have noticed these. I did and so did her surveyor so they were put right before she completed.
Homebuyer surveys - good value? - henry k
A previous boss had no survey done on a 7 year old house "because it is covered by some wonderful guarantee"
After dry rot was sorted, gas main, internal walls,half a staircase and a lot of block flooring was replaced etc. etc. he was left with a £550 plumbing bill that was not covered by anything. After gathering data re bad workmanship from adjacent properties and with a threat of going to court, the builder payed the balance.

A good friend of mine bought a new house and after several years the CH was performing badly.
To cut a long story short, eventually a split pipe in the concrete floor of the hall was found.
This had been leaking from day one and had been the root cause of the boiler being totally clogged up with scale.

Always get someone with experience to check over things as much as possible.
Homebuyer surveys - good value? - artful dodger {P}
15 years ago my parents bought a house at the plans stage with just the foundations started. During the build a surveyor kept a check on how it was being constructed, even making the builder replace a floor joist as it had a shake and twist in the timber. Before completion the surveyor checked the house over fully and found 3 pages of A4 paper of things wrong. The biggest being the kitchen had been wrongly plumbed in and no hot water came out of the hot tap and meant floorboards had to be lifted (luckily before any carpets had been fitted). It took the builder 3 days with up to 10 men to correct all the faults. So even new homes need to be checked thoroughly, more so than one that has been lived in for a few years.

--
Roger

Homebuyer surveys - good value? - Stuartli
So even new homes need to be checked thoroughly, more so than one that has been lived in for a few years.>>

There's a lot to be said for owning an 1880s Victorian three-bedroomed semi-detached....:-)

They just don't build 'em like that today, as many other owners in my town will testify.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Homebuyer surveys - good value? - henry k
They just don't build 'em like that today, as many other owners in my town will testify.

>>
My neighbours say that about their 1930s houses which were the same build as mine .
Well I think mine was built by a load of cowboys with very little idea of how to do a reasonable job.
There are both design errors and build errors plus quality control issues.
The list of bad workmanship is large but that does not stop them being in huge demand.
I bought it knowing some of the poor workmanship but I live with it and have corrected some shortcomings.
I am just a DIY type not an expert.
They just don't build 'em like that today, as many other
owners in my town will testify.

I agree, any poor construction in an old house will have been fixed by now, or if not, it's not so bad as to make the house uninhabitable.
Homebuyer surveys - good value? - Altea Ego
a lot of 1880s homes were badly built. In fact the term "jerry built" comes from that period. Poor foundations, substandard mortar, badly made bricks, poor joinery you name it all the sins were comitted in that period.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Homebuyer surveys - good value? - Baskerville
Unfortunately for Stuartli, who lives near Liverpool, the term "jerry built" originated there in the mid-late nineteenth century.
>>My sister would never have noticed these. I did and so did her surveyor so they were put right before she completed.

My point exactly. You spotted it.
I'm a surveyor.
You should have done it for free then! ;-)
And you should know it ain't rocket science then.
Homebuyer surveys - good value? - Dulwich Estate
"a lot of 1880s homes were badly built. In fact the term "jerry built" comes from that period. Poor foundations, substandard mortar, badly made bricks, poor joinery you name it all the sins were comitted in that period."

Yes TVM, but 130 years or so later they're still around doing a reasonable job of keeping the rain out unlike some 1960s and 1970s stuff.
Homebuyer surveys - good value? - L'escargot
The things which worry me are those which require a detailed inspection to find. I looked at a 1960s bungalow which had had had a kitchen range removed. I queried what had had been done about the chimney and so I looked in the roof space. The chimney was corbelled to one side by about 30 cm (a feature which I'd never seen before) and (for several reasons) I ended up having a structural engineer look at the property. Even he couldn't see what supported the chimney! Needless to say I didn't buy the property.
--
L\'escargot.
had had had a kitchen range removed. I queried what
had had been done about the chimney

Doh ~ delete a "had" in both places!
--
L\'escargot.
Homebuyer surveys - good value? - Happy Blue!
Responding to the OP - I woudn't bother with a homebuyers survey. We refuse to do them. Spend more money on a building survey and there will be less caveats and more detail and more chance of sueing if it goes wrong later.
Homebuyer surveys - good value? - edisdead {P}
Many thanks for all the replies - most useful.

Ed.
Homebuyer surveys - good value? - Mapmaker
>>I ended up having a structural engineer look at the property. Even he couldn't see what supported the chimney! Needless to say I didn't buy the property.

So your engineer agreed with you, and you didn't buy the property - at a total cost of £800. A builder would have removed the chimney for less.

If you have a pair of eyes in your head and a bit of common sense, a surveyor is generally a waste of money.
So your engineer agreed with you, and you didn't buy the
property - at a total cost of £800.

As I recall the fee was less than half that amount and the survey covered items other than the chimney. This was in Lincolnshire where prices for professional services are reasonable.
--
L\'escargot.
Homebuyer surveys - good value? - bedfordrl
Years ago i worked on a farm which was part of an estate near Sutton Scotney.
Up to the year before we arrived there they had a gang of estate workers who went around maintaining the estates buildings etc.
Well the beancounters got there and out went the estate workmen and in came the cowboys.
We were put into a very small house (tythed) on the promise that next door was going to be extended.
Well all quotes in and the cheapest got the job.
They were team that at the onset really defined what cowboy builders looked like ie big fat boss man, elderly shovel holder upper with fag permantly hanging in the corner of his gob and a clueless nipper.
They took so long that we actually left for another job ages before they finished but i had the exquisite delight of looking around their workmanship during and after they had finished, exquisite because we did not have live there so we could laugh.
They had extended the roofline buy joining the roof timbers with one nine inch nail per timber, this caused the roof to flex in winds and the tiles to pop off.
The walls of the rooms upstairs did not actually reach the cealings.
The good chaps had put the immersion tank in, pity no pipes in or out.
I got my wifes uncle ,who was an ex builder to have a look and he was deeply shocked.
I think the funniest bit was the fact that they had taken it upon themselves to connect the phone up and this was neatly done by bashing a hole through next door and connecting to their phone.
Employing a plumber - L'escargot
Is it normal/acceptable to buy plumbing items yourself and then get a plumber to do the .......er....... plumbing?

(We need a new mixer tap in the kitchen. I'll have a go at most domestic things but I don't fancy ending up with a big leak which I can't stop.)
--
L\'escargot.
Employing a plumber - BazzaBear {P}
I'm sure it would be for a tap - after all, you want the exact style you've bought. Can't imagine the plumber taking it as a slight.
Employing a plumber - Doc
Any mark-up he would have made on the parts will simply be added to his labour charge.

Employing a plumber - Martin Devon
Any mark-up he would have made on the parts will simply
be added to his labour charge.

Just make sure all of the bits are there or he will be laughing gleefully as he trolls around the merchants trying to pick up the right part etc. (I run a small building business.)

MD
Employing a plumber - L'escargot
The main thing is that I want to specify the make and model of the tap. I'm just not confident that your average plumber would be able to obtain the tap I want.
--
L\'escargot.
Employing a plumber - Brill {P}
With the last bathroom we renovated, the plumber was happy for us to chose and order all fittins from bath, toilet to taps. He then quoted for labour only (fitting/tiling etc).
Enduring Power of Attorney. - pmh
My ageing parents have suggested that prior to April 2007 they should get an EPL prepared, (more complex and expensive thereafter) with me as the signatory in ppreparation for the day when they can no longer do their own thing. Has anybody else done this recently? What are the charges and the logistics? Do I have to be around to accept and sign? Since they are a 4 hour drive away.

I am already executor of their wills does this give any problems or advantages.

--

pmh (was peter)

Enduring Power of Attorney. - Dalglish
pmh -

presume that you have read

www.guardianship.gov.uk/theservice/enduringpower.h...m
www.guardianship.gov.uk/downloads/Make_An_EPA.Web....f

Enduring Power of Attorney. - defender
Dalglish that is the very link that I was going to enquire about as we are very close to a similar situation ,I dont suppose you know if that would be the same in Scotland do you ? Father-in-law now lives in Scotland but still has some accounts in
England although property has now been sold ,He can still handle his affairs with help but very soon it will be easier for him to have it taken care of for him , thanks for the links
Enduring Power of Attorney. - Dalglish
... suppose you know if that would be the same in Scotland do you ..

defender - it is different there. see
www.publicguardian-scotland.gov.uk/
www.publicguardian-scotland.gov.uk/forms/power_of_...p
www.scotland.gov.uk/Topics/Justice/Civil/16360/4932

Enduring Power of Attorney. - defender
thank you Dalglish the links are just what I need
Enduring Power of Attorney. - pmh
D
Thanky ou for those links. I had them stored back in the UK, it was a wet afternoon here in the S of France and I thought I better do some homework before I get hassled by my parents. Nothing changes 50 years on!

I was also looking for any practical experience from anyone who has been thro the process.

--

pmh (was peter)

Enduring Power of Attorney. - BigDai
I had this done on behalf of my mum about 18 months ago. It was very straightforward & just involved the solicitor speaking to mum to ensure she understood what she was signing then getting my signature witnessed by another solicitor. IIRC it cost about £40.
IMO it would be worthwhile doing it now as you never know what is around the corner.
Enduring Power of Attorney. - Mapmaker
Enduriong powers of attorney are not complicated.

You can buy the forms off the 'net for a tenner or so. Alternatively, go to Staples/WHSmith and buy one of their big books of legal forms for a tenner or so. Many firms of solicitors will give you the blank forms for free.

And fill in the name, and address of your parent, and of you, and then sign it and have your milkman witness it.

Enduring Power of Attorney. - terryb
SWMBO and I did this when we updated our wills, just after we moved house in 05. Dead easy and sensible, since if you don't have EPA and the worst does happen, the legal hassle is out of all proportion - a friend of ours had to go to the court of protection every time she needed to buy anything for her father from his funds.

Doen't have an effect one way or the other with being executor as EPA doesn't endure after death!

HTH
--
Terry
vinyl flooring - defender
we are looking to lay some vinyl flooring in the kitchen and hall ,there is about 50sq metres and it gets fairly heavy traffic so needs to be reasonable quality ,how do you tell as some of it at £15/ m is thin back with a firm surface ,some thin with soft surface ,some at £22.50/ m is thick back with soft surface ,more at £22 /m medium thickness and hardish surface ,question is what will wear well
don't want to put down tiles or laminate flooring so any thoughts on vinyl ?
vinyl flooring - Vansboy
Have a look at this stuf, Kardeene (or similar name)
forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=357...l flooring

We've just laminated all through or flat, with expensive special order B&Q Limed Oak effect. Was expensive, but looks smart & no joins!!

VB
vinyl flooring - Martin Devon
Try the commercial stuff. ALTRO is great and you won't wear it out.

MD
vinyl flooring - defender
thanks for the replys ,I will look at the makes suggested
Buying a stake in a vineyard - barchettaman
Anybody done this? Investing in a part of a vineyard, with the promise of free/discounted wine every year? There seem to be various ´products ´available, all a bit complex to me.
Ideas gratefully received,
Barchettaman
Buying a stake in a vineyard - Happy Blue!
I think the mistake is to call it investing. Consider it as money lost in return for the occasional free case of wine and the chance to say that '.... I own a vineyard you know...' .

If there are any real returns, consider them a bonus.
Buying a stake in a vineyard - Mapmaker
Bleuch! Once you've bought the vineyard, there's no market to sell it again. So that's no investment.

And what if you don't like the wine they produce? You're stuck with getting ten cases of it each year (with a personalised label). How much cooking wine do you use annually?

Would you like to buy a stake in a market garden? Because I'm selling off parts of my vegetable patch. For a one-off payment of £1,000 I will send you three lettuces a year in perpetuity. Interested?
Buying a stake in a vineyard - Altea Ego
>>How much cooking wine do you use annually

Gallons!!!!! I must get through two litres a week at least. you should taste my spag boll
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Buying a stake in a vineyard - BazzaBear {P}
>>How much cooking wine do you use annually
Gallons!!!!! I must get through two litres a week at least.
you should taste my spag boll

That explains the posting style ;)
Buying a stake in a vineyard - barchettaman
Well, I have a cunning plan, which I tell you all about at some point in the future ;-))
Annuity query ?? - chukter
Over my working life whilst working for different employers, I have ended up with 3 different pension providers, and would like to know if on retirement (within the next 12 months), do I have to pool the 3 funds to buy 1 annuity, or can I have 3 separate annuities ???

Any help would be most appreciated, as my main pension is with Equitable Life, so having already taken a heavy loss, and need to get the best terms possible..

My decision is also further complicated by the fact that another fund is with Scottish Widows, which is linked to a guaranteed annuity.
Annuity query ?? - Dulwich Estate
What little I know suggests that you stick to any guaranteed terms you have - you'll almost certainly get a better deal from SW that way.

Kindly permit me to hijack this thread and enlarge it a bit. SWMBO and I have maybe 6 separate personal pension funds and two employers ones between us and are too wondering what happens at retirement time. Do we cash in and take 6 separate annuities at times that suit us or do we consolidate the lot. Do we have 6 separate ones - each with a different emphasis - inflation linked, equity linked, with or without widows/widowers pension at two thirds of the amount etc.etc.etc. Do the costs of having a consolidated lump outweigh the advantages of separate annuities ?

Having 8 of them sounds very grand, but they're all very small !

I have little faith in money grabbing advisers. Plenty of questions - anybody know any answers please.
Annuity query ?? - Dalglish
I have little faith in money grabbing advisers. Plenty of questions -

in which case, give these people a trial and see if they help you:

www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/about_tpas/info.../

www.pensionsadvisoryservice.org.uk/personal_and_st.../

Annuity query ?? - Dulwich Estate
Thanks Dalglish. It looks a useful site and it's now stored as a favourite. It doesn't appear to answer the number of funds question though. If I find out I'll post the answer.
Annuity query ?? - L'escargot
If, at retirement, you have an employer's final salary scheme then it is unlikely you will get better benefits by transferring the funds from this scheme elsewhere.
--
L\'escargot.
If, at retirement, you have an employer's final salary scheme .........

Perhaps I should have said "If, at retirement, you are in an employer's final salary scheme .....
--
L\'escargot.
There's some useful information here on pensions ............... tinyurl.com/26hrwk
--
L\'escargot.
Mobile email - Paul Robinson
At the end of the month I will be spending 5 weeks staying in a very rural cotswold location. There is no internet access onsite. I will be able to get online via my wireless enabled laptop at an hotel 4 miles away and the offices of a business contact 8 miles away, but I'm looking for the best solution to collect my emails (POP3 not web based) and ideally some basic browsing. I normally use my mobile very little and have had the same PAYG one for 4 years! So, I'm thinking I should get a new phone to solve the problem.

The area has good standard data coverage but no 3G, what do people recommend?
Mobile email - Altea Ego
A blackberry. Does exactly what you want, does not need 3G to do it.

Friend of mine bought a blackberry pearl, claims its the finest bit of technology ever been invented.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Mobile email - local yokel
A data card that slots into your laptop that is both 3G and GPRS (data over GSM) will be fine. eg:

shop.3g.co.uk/3g-data-card-best-deals.html - also available for O2, T-Mobile and Voda

Can be contract or PAYG. Expensive if you have lots of large attachments in your mails.

GPRS is the data over mobile standard for GSM, ie what came before 3G.
Mobile email - No FM2R
The blackberry is "push mail". Hence it is far superior in an area where coverage is patchy. Any time/place that there is coverage the Blackberry will take advantage whereas with a laptop you may end up trying repeated times in different locations.

It is possible to set up pushmail on a variety of other devices, but the Blackberry is better. The Blackberry's integration of contacts, calender, e-mail and phone is a fantastic advantage (if you need it). The pearl is an excellent phone into the bargain. I believe I have every type of device or method of obtaining e-mail known to man, and only ever carry the Blackberry.

The Blackberry is limited for web-browsing - the screen size is too small and often it is not supported by some websites.

Also, if you don;t generally have a use for such a Blackberry facility then you may well be better with a 3G data card for your PC. Or use your mobile phone as a modem and bluetooth to it from your laptop.
Mobile email - Pugugly {P}
Blackberry any day of the week. Absolute liberation from the Office. I've just had 8700 with the proper colour screen. Wife hates and hid it in the fridge one day when we were on oliday. Brilliant bit of kit, the Blackberry though. Apparantly the 8700 can be used as a tethered modem onto a laptiop, never tried it though !
Mobile email - SjB {P}
I echo the Blackberry Pearl.

My employer gave me a choice, and after a trial roadtest I don't have a single regret that I chose this option back in November. Running a proper operating system it's light years faster than the Nokia I tried and the whole feel and ergonomics (hardware and software) are superb. Small and slim, it fits in pockets without bulging yet everything falls where it should for one handed use.

The predictive text shades T9, and allows the QWERTY keyboard to work well despite most keys having three functions.
The voice dialing is the best I've ever tried, both in terms of accuracy and the fact that you don't have to "train" it like so many other handhelds; it reads your address book phonetically and thus has no "number of contacts enabled for voice dialling" limit, either. Works a treat from my Plantronics hands free earpiece, with the Pearl squirrelled away out of sight usually in jacket pocket or laptop bag in the boot.

The piece de resistance is it actually has a proper USB port too, no crummy device-specific port like so many other hand held devices. Although a little slower than with the mains charger, this also means I can travel without a charger since I simply leave it connected to my laptop whenever it needs a top up.

Downsides? Like PU, my wife hates it with a passion as mail and web browsing go on holiday with us.
Mobile email - cheddar
I have recently considered a Blackberry Pearl, Vodafone (the only decent coverage here but for about a mile on the Wells road) have some good deals currently, you can get the phone free on an 18 month, 150 mins a month +50% extra free and half price line rental for the first 6 months so 225 mins for £12.50 for 6 months, £25 a month thereafter however to use the e-mail funtionality is an extra £15 a month, also many e-mails I get have attachments, anything from pdfs and ppts to jpgs, tiffs and psds so mobile e-mail has limited value.

So I am getting a Sony Ericsson K800i - today as it happens - which has a truly good digital camera, push e-mail with a built in e-mail client (not up to Blackberry though) and also full USB support. Free phone, 200mins + 50% extra free plus 10% off line rental so 300mins p/m, £13.50 for 6 months £27 thereafter. You can also have a free bluetooth earpiece with a brown K800i though I have a couple of Nokia bluetooth earpieces to use and I prefer the K800i in black. There is a K810i coming along, slightly slimmer though not as well speced.
Mobile email - Paul Robinson
Thanks for the information everyone - very helpful.
Mobile email - Nsar
A Blackberry is effectively useless for browsing the web. Something like an XDAII will give you instant email + Blackberry if you want it but it also enables you to read attachments in the format they were sent ie full screen Exel and Powerpoint with real formatting but where it leaves a Blackberry standing is to give you proper browsing with a stylus mouse.

For basic emails Blackberry is unsurpassed but that's all it does well, the rest is massive compromise..

Removal of tight crankset - johnny
Trying to remove tight alloy bicycle crankset from steel spindle without damaging it. I have a removal tool but it's not shifting. Would applying heat (e.g blowtorch) help or would it damage the alloy or weaken the internal thread? Does the different expansion properties of the two metals help or hinder here?
thanks
Removal of tight crankset - cheddar
Hold the bike by the crank, perhaps over grass so it does not get damaged when/if it falls and tap the shaft through the hole in the crank.
Removal of tight crankset - RichardW
Make sure the removal tool is well seated in the pedal thread. Wind in the extractor bolt, the give it a couple of sharp taps on the end. Now see if it will wind in a bit more, then hit it some more. If no go, then some gentle ish heat from a blowlamp or similar should get it shifted. The most important thing though is to hit it - a shock is much more likely to shift it than just tension alone.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Cutting long grass - horatio
Scenario - A field of long grass 2 - 3 feet high with big thick clumps at the ground level - currently paying £60 for an annual cut which doesn't do a lot. Hiring tools for the job is not an option.

I tried to cut after the annual cut with a standard domestic mower and managed to break the handle and it was slow hard work - so this is not an option.
www.exercise-online.co.uk/images/DemoPics/Lawnmowe...g

I considered this
www.kbcontract.cz/images/BM875.gif

and this (ebay link)
www.tiny.cc/18sFq

Both are serious contenders, but I have to deal with a grumpy old sod who doesn't like big/noisy machines, and I don't think either would go down very well with him. And finding a working Allen close to home is not easy.

What else would do the job and help pave the way to eventually tame the grass into a lawn?

How about one of these would this work? - Flymo XL500 - expensive, though I like the weight only 15Kg and it would hang on a wall for easier storage. Would it cut easily through the big clumps? And what about the grass folding over as you push it (with the scythes the grass just gets cut).
www.flymo.co.uk/node512.aspx?pid=5383
I thought there was a smaller 350 petrol model in 2004?
Cutting long grass - Baskerville
How about this?

www.freefoto.com/browse.jsp?id=01-16-0

Followed by this:

www.deliaonline.com/recipes/oven-baked-lamb-chops-...l

Cutting long grass - artful dodger {P}
If you are talking of a field, i.e. an acre or larger, then domestic grass cutters are not man enough for the job, especially with tough clumps of grass. You really need a ride on tractor, not a ride on mower. From experience of cutting about 2 acres of rough grass with a ride on mower, we eventually broke the chassis. Never had any problems with a ride on tractor as it was more substantially constructed. This is not a cheap option but your other suggestions will require regular replacements due to damage.

If the area is about half an acre, you will probably get away with a petrol flymo of industrial quality. Again from experience, these can tackle some fairly rough grass provided you do not try cutting too much in one pass.

Either way the best thing you can do is decide as soon as possible on the type of machine and get it cut down before the grass starts growing rapidly. Then keep it under control.

--
Roger

Cutting long grass - David Horn
We used to mow what was essentially a small field on a ride-on mower. Was a twin cylinder Murray machine with a 42 inch cutting deck and hydrostatic gearbox. I remember the blades used to take the tops of rocks and tree stumps. :)
Cutting long grass - Xileno {P}
I have an orchard to keep cut and your best option (although not the cheapest) is a flail mower:
tinyurl.com/ys72hh

Any kind of rotary mower will not be tough enough for the job, you will end up breaking it on hitting one of the thick clumps. I also don't recommend motor scythes, the reciprocating blades are finely set up, hit a stone and you will put one or more of the cutters out of alignment.

Flail mower everytime. I've got the second one down in the picture.
Cutting long grass - Altea Ego
About 10 marinos should do it, you will have to wait till next year for lamb chops tho;
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >