What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I Have a Question - Volume 152 - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 153 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PC's. They now go in another Thread.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 152. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18847

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

TV Contrast Ratios - Dude - {P}
Sorry if this topic has been covered before, but I am thinking of purchasing a new LCD TV and was wondering what impact Contrast Ratios play in the overall performance.?

The reason I ask, that I was considering replacing my Panasonic with one of their latest LCD`s, which has a contrast ratio of 1200 : 1, whereas Samsung have now brought out a 40" LCD model with a CR of 5000 : 1

Has anyone read any reviews for this Samsung, if so how would it stack up against the latest Panasonic sets??

Any feedback would be much appreciated.
TV Contrast Ratios - Stuartli
It wouldn't matter if you bought a Panasoic or a Samsung, both are equally superb sets.

In fact Panasoic models consistently out perform most other models in tests conducted by a major consumer magazine.

My best mate owns an independent audio/visual/appliances outlet and Panasonic and Samsung models are not only his best sellers, but are way ahead of the competition.

By the way he only stocks products that he knows offer top quality with genuine reliability. Life's too short to be dealing with customers who are unhappy...:-)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
TV Contrast Ratios - Altea Ego
the only way is to go see them yourself. The luminescity (?) contrast ratio, brightness, angle of view all mean nothing unless you go look see.

The two most important measurements in LCds used for TV are response and angle of view.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
TV Contrast Ratios - Altea Ego
Oh and my opinion.

They aint quite there yet. none of them. The TVM TV whent phut this week when the flyback transformer spewed out lava like mount etna. (Thomson, 4 years old, damn french rubbish) so I had a quick trawl round the AV shops. Decided

Quality on LCDs stil not good enough unless HD digital, there is no HD output to justify the cost, so it was a trip to testco for a £199 pound 28" JVC. TUBED TV, OK its huge, but the picture quality is superb, and it will fill the gap till the market, media, and programming matches quality expectations, bout 5 years I reckon.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
TV Contrast Ratios - Adam {P}
That's the same reason we've held off RF. My mate's just bought an enormous 40" one and it looks amazing but picture quality is certainly no better (I think it's even worse really) than our enormous (structure wise not screen wise!) TV.
TV Contrast Ratios - lordy
Dude, I bought the Samsung 40" LCD that you mention above. Despite some of the grumblings above, in my opinion, the picture quality is far superior to the CRT which I had before (a Philips BTW).

As far as contrast ratio ands brightness of picture is concerned, the LCD is a big improvement of CRT. My lounge has a 20 foot wide picture window, and watching the old television in bright sunlight could be a pain as the sunlight sometimes made viewing impossible. The LCD is far superior, has very little reflection of light on the screen, and a much wider viewing angle.

I know some posters have mentioned the picture quality being inferior, but I just don't agree. Remember when you go into a shop and see the display, chances are there could well be over one hundred televisions all being fed from one crappy aerial. The other crucial thing, is that if you view the screen too close, the picture will not look as good; just as in the way as looking up close to a CRT picture will look poor. There is an optimum viewing distance, and , being a bigger screeen, will be further away than you used to. It's easy to stand right in front of the screen whilst in a shop, which is too close to appreciate the picture.

My advice would be to get down to your local retailer, ask them to but a DVD on to an LCD, not your standard tuner picture, and then make sure you are at least ten feet away, and then decide.

Despite being a cynic and proud of it. I'm throughly impressed by it.
--
let me be the last to let you down....
TV Contrast Ratios - Dude - {P}
Thanks for the replies, but I tend to agree with TVM that LCD technology is not quite there yet, so I am considering delaying my decision until the new S.E.D. sets from Toshiba/Canon are on the market. These sets are based on CRT technology, which are claimed to have the finest picture to date, with better reliability and lower energy consumption than both LCD & plasma. Its good to hear from Lordy however that he is impressed with his new 40" LCD Samsung.
TV Contrast Ratios - harry m
i have had a panasonic 32inc lcd for 2 years now put on a dvd and the difference is chalk and cheese if you set the lcd correctly and sit at the right distance there is no contest even straight watching from the tele even football which i rarely watch no blurring,i do think you need to buy the top manufactures lcds then you can't go wrong.
TV Contrast Ratios - andymc {P}
At the sort of money LCDs and plasmas command, I think I'd rather consider a screen and projector attached to my PC with the USB digibox. We've been trying this out for a while now and the rather old tech projector we've been using has excellent picture quality in comparison to the 28"CRT (apart from occasional dot crawl over the darkest bits). Only thing is the one we have on loan has a bit too much of a hum from the cooling fans, so I'm thinking of something like this:
www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php...4
or especially this:
www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/displayreview.php...3

I have yet to see a plasma or LCD in any TV shop that impressed me with its picture quality over what CRT offers - it seems that the bigger screen sizes simply haven't been able to achieve the level of clarity I would want - or else the staff in the shops are universally too lazy to tune them in properly (a not entirely implausible explanation ...).
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
TV Contrast Ratios - harry m
i think your comment in the last paragraph says it all there seem to be very few places that set them up properly.the ones i have seen always have the backlight on lcd's far to high.on av forums a lot of people suggest you take a dvd along with you and get them to play it but i doubt the comets and currys will.
TV Contrast Ratios - rtj70
This is a similar argument of LCD monitors and a good quality CRT monitor. At native resolution an LCD can be very good but colour reproduction behind CRT - many monitors cannot even do 16.7 million colours due to the CRT panel used. But use a resolution not native to the panel and quality will be poor.

So for a computer LCD you set it to say 1280x1024 and that's okay but PAL TV is 720x576. An LCD panel struggles to display this due to the need to rescale. Same applies to LCD TVs.

I've seen a John Lewis HD-TV demo and the picture was stunning. And so was the price. I'm holding off for now.
What do you call... - borasport20
The thing that sits over the drainhole in the shower to stop the pipes getting bunged up with hair.

And more importantly, what do you call it ?

--
Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
What do you call... - Stuartli
Several variations (we have a plastic one that slots into the plug hole which has vanes all round to trap unwanted particles, hair etc).

This might be suitable:

www.forensic-rescue.co.uk/ers.htm
What do you call... - borasport20
strangely unavailable in the local retail parks

--
Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
What do you call... - Adam {P}
Even Wickes?
What do you call... - PhilDS
You mean a shower trap with a removable hair collector or you can buy a simple waste strainer. It sits over the plughole and you just pick it up and empty the contents into the bin. You can use them in kitchen sinks too.
www.wickes.co.uk/invt/431943

TV Question - wotspur
why on police dramas are prostitutes often referred to as TOM's??
is it because like Tom cats they don't care who they go with
TV Question - Altea Ego
There is no real defined single source of "tom" it was around in the 17th century - Tom Rig was a slang term for a prostitute or loose woman (Rig meant a wanton, from French se rigoler = to make merry). Modern use of the word tom is either due to "tom cat" or goes with "any old tom dick and arry" Cockney slang always had a prostitute as a "brass" brass heart = tart.

Tom in cockney is jewlery (tom foolery)

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Mobiles off eBay - Adam {P}
I must be the unluckiest person when it comes to mobile telephony. As you may or not know, I recently purchased a new mobile with Orange (contract) after the debacle with T-Mobile. All was well and good until about an hour ago, I knocked a large mug of steaming hot coffee over it. After frantic drying of the phone, it's well and truly knackered. 9's come up as 2s, 5's now delete everything and it's complete gobbledygook.

I've tried every possible avenue with Orange and whilst they've been very nice and friendly about it (more than that be said about others), they can't really help me unless I pay 300 quid. (I'm not doing that).

Sooooo - I now need to buy an Orange PAYG phone and put my contract SIM in that and all will be well. I'm sure you've realised my next problem. They cost a fortune - a small reminder of why I went to contract. The phone I had is 200 quid PAYG so I'm not paying that either. I've had a brief look on eBay and there are loads of them used, brand new, used and boxed, brand new with no box (?!?) and so on. However, I'm almost certain that a good portion of those are stolen. Am I being too untrusting? Would feedback of over 100 be ok? (I'm not a member of eBay and have never bought anything off there).

I don't want a stolen phone but I realise eBay is about selling stuff and so people take that risk all the time.

Any help guys?

Thanks,

Adam
Mobiles off eBay - adverse camber
Personally I would try and recover the old one. If you dont fancy that then you could post it to me ;)

Open it up and remove the internal battery (thats the little one that holds the settings etc.

dismantle as far as possible, and give it a really good clean. Some people would use pure water, others alcohol, others circuit board cleaner.

then get it dry - hairdryer or something. Watch out for pockets that might hold moisture. my oh put mine through the washing machine. I had to remove the volume decrease switch from the cuircuit board but other than that it was fine.

When I first opened it up it was soggy. full of fluff etc.

has to be worth a try. If its intermittent afterwards - slap it on ebay ;)
Mobiles off eBay - psi
eBay don't offer any comeback afaik, PayPal can cover you up to £500 if the item is "grossly mis-discribed" (I suppose stolen is open to interpretation unless the listing specifically says the seller is the legal owner!).

or you could step outside the box and try a service like www.recipero.com/recipero/products/checkmend/

hth.
Thanks Mark and psi for your help.

I think I'll try Mark's idea of a bodge repair (i.e. me!) and if that fails (it will - trust me!) using that CheckMEND.

It's an Orange SPV C600 so it's fiddly at the best of times without this weird stuff going on. I only got it in August so I'm pretty unhappy.

Mark - if I can't get it working, then it's yours! ;-)
Mobiles off eBay - defender
if you buy a phone on ebay make sure it has an original box pictured with the phone and check if the seller has sold other phones and the feed back comments ,lots of them are sold because the seller gets a new upgrade contract phone every year
Mobiles off eBay - Jono_99
Adam,

I have a Nokia 6230i sitting by my front door, Orange locked, contract expired and doing nothing. You are welcome to it, if you'd like it

mail me at: jon dot nic72 at googlemail dot com

Jon
Unsurprisinly Jon, you have mail!
Mobiles off eBay - Stuartli
That is a very kind and noble gesture.
Mobiles off eBay - Hugo {P}
Adam

I was just about to suggest you get an earier Nokia then go to www.Moneysavingexpert.com to get advice about unlocking it for free.

You may even be able to do this with Jono's phone if you want to try another sim card in it.

Do be aware of the endless parade of people who will want to charge you for an unlocking code that is sometimes freely available off the internet.

H
Mobiles off eBay - Dynamic Dave
Do be aware of the endless parade of people who will want to charge you for an unlocking code that is sometimes freely available off the internet.

This one has previously worked for me on several occasions

www.trycktill.com/eng/unlock_swe.asp

(scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the Union Jack symbol)
Mobiles off eBay - Altea Ego
Oi - you lot are doing RF junior out of a job.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Mobiles off eBay - barchettaman
What, you mean he´s not on chimney-sweeping duty this winter?
Apparently all the mobile phones using the BB5 system are unlockable at present.

Yet means to unlock them are apparently available on e-Bay..:-)

tinyurl.com/ec3bn
Just found this:

nokiafree.org/forums/t79815/s.html
Mobiles off eBay - Chicken Vindaloo
"This one has previously worked for me on several occasions"

Many thanks DD - I've just unlocked my Nokia using their instructions.
Mobiles off eBay - JH
How's the phone doing Adam? The wife fell into our pond (well, you have to do something for a laugh) with her phone in her pocket. Needless to say it was dead but 24 hours or so of gentle drying and it was fine. Along the way it gave hopeful signs but switched itself off after 10 minutes or the display was b&w only, but a bit of patience and some gentle heat and it was fine. I did the same with a tv remote control. No I didn't fall in a pond with it but I did drop it in a cup of coffee. Remove the batteries, dismantle as far as possible, rinse, dry and then be patient.

Good luck.

JH
Mobiles off eBay - rtj70
Adam, for a new phone it depends on what you need as far as costs... check www.expansys.com if you haven't already. You could get say a 6230i brand new and completely network independent for not too much.

Also what about household insurance. Got a Nokia 6230 (not i) stolen from my gym locker last Sept. Claimed on home insurance, paid excess, and got the 6230i instead. Depends on what cover you have outside home.

On that last point.... from my car accident holiday insurance for personal loss was slow to respond (still no money overall) and limited payout. Claimed on the home insurance and within an hour a response for the smashed camcorder and a new one in 3 days. Prescription glasses within a week (initial call next day) and all other items claimed within the month. So home insurance can be quick to respond.

I'll name the excellent service (not cheapest) if allowed.... Barclays. Delete if necessary moderators. But they have been fast to respond, settle, etc. and I have £2500 of cover from home. Holiday insurance was only £300 total for personnel items. Note I claimed with Barclays 5 weeks after I did with holiday insurance. Still no money from holiday insurance for medical costs etc. even with a 5 week headstart on the claim. Barclays settles and sorted camcorder and prescription glasses within about 2-3 weeks.

So Adam either check the likes of eXpansys or try insurance?
Mobiles off eBay - Altea Ego
you may have a problem with home insurance and mobile phones.At leats one nameless insurance company who will be loosing my business this year, will cliam that

"as the phone was free as part of your contract, in the event of a claim we will pay out - nothing"
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Mobiles off eBay - M.M
For what its worth my advice on EBay phone buying that has always worked. Search for what you want and only shortlist those with 100% ratings and phones complete with box, charger and instruction book. Look at what else these folks buy/sell and avoid anyone that sells lots of phones/laptops/dvds/pc games etc. Buy from a family seller who's other items are a coffee table/kids bike/kylie cd etc. I've bought some mint and genuine phones this way.

Always ask the seller if it is in 100% working order, free from scratches on the case & screen and check the unlocked status. If the response does not come in under 24hrs with a nicely worded reply then avoid.

Friends who just buy from anyone often end up with a phone sent loose in a jiffy bag... usually just the phone and no accs. Worn cases and scratched screens are common too from the iffy sellers.

David
A Chap's question - Pugugly {P}

After something like 30 years I've adapted to usng an old-fashioned Shaving brush and bowl - which I must say gives a certain satisfaction to the a man's most mundane activity. I currently use a Mach 3 razor, which leaves the whole experience a bit "not right". Can anyone recommend an alternative razor to complete the ensemble (blades must be easily available).
A Chap's question - pmh
Whilst not answering your question (some may say par for the course!), have you ever tried King of Shaves gel? I could not believe how it transformed the mundane procedure into something almost pleasurable! At one time you could get a free sample from their web site.

--

pmh (was peter)

A Chap's question - daveyjp
Gillette 2 blade disposable for me, tried many, but this is as good as others. Without doubt the best shaves I've had have been when I've been in India or the Far East. First job when arriving in India is to find the nearest barber who will carry out a full shave for 50 rupees, about 60p. It takes at least 20 minutes, but at the end you cannot feel any stubble. It's the only time I can go two days without shaving. Indians use a variation of the cut throat razor, but with half a traditional blade inserted in to it - very effective in the right hands.
Yes dave, I had a proper Chap's shave in Cyprus last year. I let it grow for a couple of days and the net result was incredible ! - hence my yearning to return to traditional shaving methods, (avoiding a cut throat for health and safety reasons)
A Chap's question - Baskerville
Try Olive Oil instead of soap. Fantastic.
A Chap's question - Altea Ego
Mix olive oil in the soap, even better.

When i wet shave (and i do it about once week for the sheer sensuous feeling of it) I use my grandfathers old badger brush and bowl, and a disposable razor that goes in the bin after one use.

Rest of the time I use the phillips three head electric sander.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
A Chap's question - Altea Ego
In my youth when i was working in London, I used to visit an old barber in holborn once a week for a shave with the cuthroat, followed by the red hot boilng towel wrapped round the chops.....

that opened some pores I can tell you.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
A Chap's question - bell boy
In my youth when i was working in London, I used
to visit an old barber in holborn once a week for
a shave with the cuthroat, followed by the red hot boilng
towel wrapped round the chops.....
that opened some pores I can tell you.

>>>>>>>
.........>>>>>>>>>>>
i think sweeney todds licence to shave was revoked
A Chap's question - Martin Devon
Rest of the time I use the phillips three head electric
sander.

Made me chuckle.....................perfect humour!

MD.
A Chap's question - Number_Cruncher
I use something like this;

ebay.co.uk: 230035615400

It's worth tracking down good blades - Wilkinson sword blades for thesecan be had from Boots, but this type of razor is definitely no longer fashionable or common, and you might not be able to find the blades in your supermarket.

Number_Cruncher

Thanks Number Cruncher,,,,,,,I thik I may go for one if these,,,,,,,blades shouldn't be a problem. When you see me in the next meet, I'll be the one with the bog roll on my boat-race.
A Chap's question - Number_Cruncher
>>I'll be the one with the bog roll on my boat-race.

Ha-ha. Oh yes, it's a problem for a week or two, until you get the hang of them!

One thing that almost caught me out recently - you can't take these razors, or more precisely, their blades on-board a plane, so, it's worth keeping a few disposables handy if you need to fly off at short notice.

Number_Cruncher

A Chap's question - Stuartli
When I was younger I once dropped a Wilkinson's Sword Edge blade attempting to put it in the razor with wet hands - it made a deep cut in a finger than took ages to stop bleeding.

But you always got a good shave with them/

I still wet shave but use Tesco or Morrison's supermarket's own brand names - cheap but effective and last for several shaves and both exactly the same product - or the Wilkinson's SuperMax disposables if and when they are on offer (BOGOF means eight disposables for £1.99).

But avoid the cheap disposable swivel types as you are almost guaranteed to bring some nasty cuts. Fixed head I've found are best.
A Chap's question - rtj70
I'm impress with the new Gillette .. Fusion is it??? Four blades plus the other one on the other side for the more "tricky bits".

I used to use Mach 3 but this is way better. Other half prefers me with a bit of stubble (not good for work) so often have to work from home ;-)
A Chap's question - Vin {P}
This thread made me think of this. Developments in shavig covered as only "The Onion" can manage. This was written tongue-in-cheek in 2004 - sadly, the world has overtaken the satire.

I've made it non clickable, as the language is rather ripe, to say the least. You have been warned.

www.theonion.com/content/node/33930?issue=4228&spe...4

V
A Chap's question - Stuartli
Got one of the free samples of the new Wilkinson Quattro through the post Saturday morning (amazing what you can find on the Internet or the moneysaving expert.com website!); youngest offspring pointed out that he's found these type of razors very difficult to clean properly due to closeness of blades and the fact that rear of the blades' housing is solid.

Now if it had been a free sample of an Audi Quattro.....

Would like to endorse earlier posting about the King of Shaves product - amazing results and very smooth shave despite the fact that only a tiny amount is required.
A Chap's question - BazzaBear {P}
I'm impress with the new Gillette .. Fusion is it???

It should be good at £15 for a pack of blades. They're more than double the price of the next one down.
A Chap's question - The Lawman
best tip for wet shaving is to shave in the shower.

I have a shaving mirror stuck on thr wall. I use king of Shaves gel, and apply it with a badger hair brush.
Hell's Teeth, I'm going to buy an electric shaver !
Thanks for the replies. Trip to Boots today to look for a safety razor.
A Chap's question - Gromit {P}
Safety razor or Gillette Sensor for me. The only function of the third blade in the Mach 3 is to cut the fold of skin caught between the outer blades...

Shave gel tends to lubricate the blade better than foam, too, if you're not using fancier or more traditional products.
Result of today's experiment. A facial wash with hot water (I don;t like shaving in the shower) followed by a very liberal dose of shaving soap, new Mach 3 razor, throughly rinsed in hot water. Did the business, the closest shave in years, after shave didn't sting. Thanks for th advice...
Yet Another Central Heating Question... - Duchess
My regular plumber (ie Dad) is on holiday. Having come to turn on the heating finally, I spotted that the pressure was far too high - about 3 bar(?) before turning the boiler on. Normally it's just under 1 and goes up to 1.5 when running. Now I know how to increase the pressure (loosen the inlet valve underneath the boiler) but I don't know how to decrease it. Is there a simple method or do I have to shiver until I have my plumber back?

If it's relevant, its a combi boiler without hot water tank.

Thanks in advance
Yet Another Central Heating Question... - Brian(p)
If you have a bleed valve key or sometimes a screwdriver will do it you can bleed water from a convenient radiator. Obviously you will need a cloth/towel etc so as to avoid water damage.
The bleed valve is at the top side of the radiator can be either side.
Good Luck
Yet Another Central Heating Question... - sine
3Bar is the pressure at which the pressure release valve will normally open to release the pressure (the pressure should not normally go much above 3Bar and you may be able to run the boiler at this pressure without any problems, although perhaps that option is best left until your really desperate)

Being a combi this valve is usually within the boiler and can normally be manually operated in a way similar to a tap to release the excess pressure and is quite simple to do provided you can find it.

Have a look under the boiler (look up inside the boiler from below), the valve will most likely be attached to a pipe which goes through the wall and outside soon after leaving the boiler (but the gas main may also do that). Or perhaps a better suggestion would be to look at the instruction manual or search on the web for one as that should have a nice diagram of it.

Otherwise Brians method will suffice but maybe rather messy depending on the design of your bleed screw

One has to ask how the pressure has got so high and whether there is an internal fault with the boiler (water-to-water heat exchanger leak perhaps) or if the filling loop is not fully shut off.
Yet Another Central Heating Question... - Baskerville
Get a plumber.

You can drain the pressure either from the drain-off tap, which will be on the pipework at the lowest point in the system, or at a radiator. But how did you get 3 bar in there while the system wasn't even being used? Will it happen again? And if so, what happens when the cold water at 3 bar gets heated up? Get a plumber.
Yet Another Central Heating Question... - Vin {P}
Don't panic. Let some pressure out by bleeding a radiator. Make sure the filling loop is switched off (the most likely cause of an increase in pressure when cold). Keep an eye on it.

V
Yet Another Central Heating Question... - cheddar
But how did you get 3
bar in there while the system wasn't even being used? >>

Presumably it is being used, to heat tap water as opposed to the radiators.
Yet Another Central Heating Question... - Baskerville
Yes, but the heating part, which hadn't been used for a while, is sealed off from the hot water part--supposedly anyway--and you only "open" the heating part when you fill it, or top it up. So what I meant was that the heating system wasn't being used.
Ferco Door Handles / Locks - BobbyG
I have a upvc door with Ferco locks and handles. The internal and external handle appear to be joined together with a solid metal bar (as you would expect). However there is movement in this ie. if one handle is flush to the door, the other is protruding by about 15mm. To me it looks like maybe the kids have slammed the door whilst holding the handle and have yanked it through a bit.

On the inside handle, at the RHS there is a hole that I am sure this is what is used to tighten the handle onto the bar. But the hole is not allen key shaped, and from what I can see inside it, it does not appear to be torx shaped either, though it may well be.

Can anyone help me as to how I loosen this to push the metal bar back into the handle to tighten it again? I have been on to the nice guys at Ferco who have been very helpful but at the end of the day they are not sure what will loosen this handle off!

Any ideas?
Ferco Door Handles / Locks - Altea Ego
It could be a hole in the square joining bar, with a roll pin pressed through, the roll pin could be broken.

It could be a bristow screw (multi splined key) a torx screw (less splines than a bristow) or a regular hex screw, or the roll pin as mentioned above. Roll pins in door furniture are very common.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Building Control--Small Claims - Baskerville
In August I received planning permission for an extension, which is now in the final stages of completion. The building control chap came over today to look at the insulation, wall preparation, and roof. He told us that the roof isn't to spec and needs to be stripped off and rebuilt. This is a shallow pitch, quite close to the limits, so a bit tricky. He showed us his plan which does indeed show a completely different spec to what's been done. The problem is the plan I was sent, which has a big "Approved" stamp on it, doesn't say any of this. My contractor, who has done a great job so far, has followed this plan exactly.

We're both happy to go with the new plan by the way, if that's the right one, but are somewhat annoyed (actually blazing mad) about having been sent the wrong one. I suspect I've been sent the original, unamended plan instead of the final approved one.

So my question is, since my contractor and I will now have to suck up expenses taking off and replacing a perfectly good roof, can we claim in the small claims court? Anybody have any experience of this?
Building Control--Small Claims - Altea Ego
He showed us his plan which does indeed show a completely different spec

where did his plan come from?

The problem is the plan I was sent, which has a big "Approved" stamp on it, doesn't say any of this.

So Where did this plan come from then?

Who was responsible for submitting plans? Planning permission and buildings regulations are not the same approvals, and plans need to go before both. Its sounds like someone submitted two sets of different plans. Who was responsible for that? did you have an architect?

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
The plans were prepared by an architect, who submitted them to the planning department. It seems the planning people wanted minor amendments (not so minor now), which were made and submitted. The guy from building control brought his plan with him. My plan was sent to me when the planning permission was granted. Both are stamped "Approved" and both have the same date and reference number on them.

Incidentally I knew nothing of this amendment until now, so my architect is guilty of not keeping me informed. On the other hand it makes no difference to the appearance or amenity of the building and would not have cost more.
Building Control--Small Claims - Hugo {P}
If your beef is with your architect then you could suggest that his proffesional indemnity insurance meets the cost of the extra work you have had to have done.

If your beef is with the Building Control Dept then forget it. They have Crown Immunity.
Building Control--Small Claims - Martin Devon
With due respect to Hugo I would like to know what the problems are that need addressing. It is not unknown to have a perfectly sound scheme in place and for an annoying little nerk to attempt to stamp his ground when indeed he is wrong. Now I am not suggesting that here this is the case, but I have been building and renovating for a full time living since 1978 and may just have some idea.

Over...............................MD.
The roof has a shallow pitch--not sure how shallow exactly, but it looks shallow. However according to a roofer I know it "should be ok with Marley Modern" which is what the architect said, and what we've put on it. We've extended out sideways from an original roof, leaving one side of the roof in place and increasing the span of one side to make a new room. The original plan says something like replace as original with heavy duty felt, batten, and tiles. The building control plan, which I saw for the first time today, says plywood, plus felt, plus tiles--effectively a low-spec flat roof on a pitch with tiles on top. Can't see how it would make a difference frankly. It's either too shallow for the tiles or it isn't.

Hugo's answer about Crown Immunity is the one I didn't want to hear, but what I expected.
Building Control--Small Claims - cockle {P}
Having just gone through, a couple of months back, what you're going through now you have my sympathies.
From what you say I think TVM has deduced your problem.
You do need both planning approval, where required, and building regs approval. The planners will only be concerned with dimensions, appearances, meeting local planning guidelines, etc, when they are happy then building regs come into play and they will look at things like the stress loadings on your roof and such like, that is when they may require changes to meet the regs. As they take several weeks after the planners you can go ahead by giving them 48 hours notice that you intend to start work and they will then visit site as you go and discuss any points they have, that's the way we went and we virtually re-designed the roof with the building control guy, my contractor, the roofer and myself standing on the scaffolding! And a cracking job we made of it if I may say so, ended up witha vaulted ceiling that makes the room.
I would hazard a guess that the architect has sent you a copy marked approved by the planners but didn't forward you the copy after approval by building control, if that is the case then your architect has let you down badly. The approval stamp and date on the building control copy of the plans may well be the planners stamp and not theirs. If this is the case i would suggest that your architect could well be liable for the extra costs involved as he could be construed to have been negligent in not informing you of the changes made by building control. I'm certainly not qualified to advise you legally but I would imagine that the architect has some sort of indemnity cover for such eventualities so I would certainly be bending his ear if he was my architect!
Alternatively, if you went the quicker building notice route then I would suggest that your contractor is negligent as he would have been prudent to have run the roofing plans by the building control officer before starting the roof trusses, especially as he would be aware that you are pushing the limits, if he's not aware he's on the limit then he's possibly not quite as good as you think!
Then again Martin has a very valid point, if you ask three building inspectors and three roofers their take on it you'll as likely get six different opinions/answers.
Having been through the process a few times now, not as much as Martin, thank God, I think builders must have the patience of a saint to put up with some of the inspectors I've come across, and if you've come across an awkward one then I'll say a few prayers for you tonight. From what you're saying it seems like you may have.
Good luck!
Thanks for that long post. Lots of things in there and the posts of others to think about.

I now have the paperwork in front of me. I've received from the council one letter granting planning permission and including the approved plan. Nothing else. A written note on the letter says: "Important: work to approved plan." I'm guessing then that this is the plan the contractor is expected to work from, and he has. Yet it is different from the building control plan for some reason. I think it's an error myself. Unfortunately I'm going to be away tomorrow so won't be able to meet with the building inspector.

I'll let you all know what happens. I agree with you about the patience of builders.

Building Control--Small Claims - mare
I now have the paperwork in front of me. I've received
from the council one letter granting planning permission and including the
approved plan. Nothing else. A written note on the letter says:
"Important: work to approved plan." I'm guessing then that this is
the plan the contractor is expected to work from, and he
has. Yet it is different from the building control plan for
some reason. I think it's an error myself. Unfortunately I'm going
to be away tomorrow so won't be able to meet with
the building inspector.

At the risk of sounding patronising, and as several people have said already, planning and building regs are completely separate. The approved planning drawing is what your extension should look like. The approved Building Regs drawing is how it should be assembled to comply with building regulations. Trust me, i've had jobs where the planning drawings are unbuildable.

Your architect in the ideal world should have issued a construction drawing picking up the approvals of both planning and building regs.

It's not an error on the building inspector's part that your builder has used the planning drawing, which appears to be what's happened. Somebody else is responible for the building being built to the wrong drawing. The Building inspector won't have drawn anything, so where did that drawing come from?

Before you start ripping the roof off and starting again, you need to talk to your architect / designer and understand how this mistake came about. He may need to notify his PI insurer.

HTH
And in that coincidental way, i found out about this today:

www.rics.org/NR/rdonlyres/6164AC45-4485-4F0A-B751-...f

Property Makeover Guide published by the RICS. Some of the costs, especially the heating ones look high to me. Also it indicates a section on "how to employ a contractor" but seems to have missed it out. Unless the coffee hasn't taken affect yet and i just can't see it.

Nonetheless, if anyone is planning to do some works, worth a read. Better than nothing. Just amazed it's taken 10 years after Changing Rooms started but things move slowly in the RICS. Ho Hum.

Interest - I am a Chartered Surveyor, so i guess i'm promoting something my institution is providing but it's free and for the greater good.
Building Control--Small Claims - Dalglish
...Property Makeover Guide published by the RICS ..

mare : thanks for that pdf link. it seems to be an extract from the full 209 or 212 page book which may have been published in september or maybe october or maybe not yet published -

www.ricsbooks.com/default.asp states
"BCIS ISBN: 1904829465 Item Code: 11582 212 Pages Oct 2006 Price: £17.99 Availability: Not yet published."

www.bcis.co.uk/ConstructionCosts/ProductsAndServic...m states
" £17.99 ISBN: 1 904829 46 5 209 pages Paperback Published September 2006 "

is that and indication of attention to detail you can expect to find in their members work?

is that and indication of attention to detail you can expect
to find in their members work?

Members are much better than that, of course ;-) I've raised the issue of missing content on the RICS forum.

Wondering if it's a draft actaully. Hope the full thing's not 200 odd pages, you'd fall asleep reading it!
It's ok. I don't feel patronised, though I do know the difference. Further investigation required. I'm unable to do anything about this today, but I'll be talking to the architect, have no fear.

Thanks for your help (everyone).
Building Control--Small Claims - Martin Devon
The roof has a shallow pitch--not sure how shallow exactly, but
it looks shallow.

Get the Marley Modern spec' and look at the minimum pitch requirement. This will not account for exposed positions/locations. Then measure your pitch for a start. Minimum pitches will have an allowance built in, but that won't excuse you if you fail to meet it, but I have NEVER had a building control officer get involved here, but of course you need it to work for you. Without being there it is quite difficult to advise. I fully support Building control when applied correctly and sensibly and most officers are OK, but there are rogues who can be challenged. IMHO their powers are not wide ranging enough and concentration on additional areas of work should be addressed, including correct mortar mixes, not some itinerant labourer's guesswork.

Crown Immunity.....................Is that a fact? New one on me..something else learnt today.

vbr..........................MD.
There's two lots of plans here: a planning set and a building regs set.

Sounds like the building inspector has you bang to rights unless i'm reading this very wrong

He showed us his plan which does indeed show a completely different
spec to what's been done. The problem is the plan I
was sent, which has a big "Approved" stamp on it, doesn't
say any of this.

Sounds like there's two lots of plans here: a planning set and a building regs set. Or drawing rev A (planning) and a rev B (building regs)

I suspect
I've been sent the original, unamended plan instead of the final
approved one.

Or you've used the planning drawing rather than the building regs drawing. If the building inspector has got a drawing from your architect spelling out what's to be done, and the builder's done something different then there's several possibilities:

Architect didn't / forgot to issue approved Building Regs drawings
Builder ignored / didn't receive Building Regs drawings

You need to speak to your architect. Good luck
OK, just got back and have been brought up to date.

Firstly a bit of background. The planning/building control people in this mostly rural district operate out of a single small office. There are about four of them. They field each other's calls and cover for one another. I know this from working with them (and I mean with them, not against them) on an unrelated issue.

The letter we received from this office (I hesitate to say which desk) informing us of planning permission has a written note on it telling us to work to the enclosed plan. This was definitely supposed to be the construction plan, but it's not.

My conclusions are these:

1. The architect has been remiss in not sending us a copy of the construction plan, though I can see he might think it wasn't necessary since it doesn't change the appearance of the building inside or out. Naughty perhaps. I didn't pester him for it because we received the plan from the council with no changes, so assumed it was just ok. It's a fairly simple and small extension on the whole. My bad perhaps.

2. The planning/BC office was probably understaffed in the summer (the permission took much longer to come through than anyone expected) and someone must have put the wrong plan--an earlier version--in the envelope. Apparently on the phone this morning the building control officer was very edgy, so maybe it was him. Who knows?

3. Contractor doesn't want to rock the boat so will go ahead and do as instructed. I think he knew how close to the limit it was, but just worked to the plan supplied. And why wouldn't he? Anyway BC wants the full works: strip off, ply, hot felted and then tiled on top. I'm inclined to agree if it makes the roof better, but am very annoyed by the amount of wasted time and work. Contractor is resigned to it.

So thanks for all your help. It goes down to experience I think, but what a mess.
You've got a very helpful contractor. You're lucky there. If he's picking up the cost then there's little point in procrastonating over the issue.

However, as Martin has asked above, are the BCO requirements realistic and reasonable?

Also the BCO are plublic servents. If they have dropped off then they have done you a disservice. A letter to the head of building services asking for a full explanation of how the confusion may have occurred from there end could be a good idea.

Once this is received pass a copy to your architect and ask him/her for a response.

This would serve to ensure that each party will work harder to serve your needs more professionally in the future.
The contractor is a good man, with a very good reputation locally. We'll make sure he knows we appreciate it. There's no doubt had we received the correct plan that it would have been implemented, so nobody is arguing with what's required. I do think a bit of leaway was possible given the circumstances at this stage, but this is such a close thing with the pitch the best thing is to drop it I think and get the job finished wsithout further drama. Your idea of contacting the head of building services and the architect is a good one. But after this is all done and dusted of course.
Building Control--Small Claims - The Lawman
Brace yourself, your contractor will want to be paid for his extra work. whoever has cocked up here, it wasn't him.
Brace yourself, your contractor will want to be paid for his
extra work. whoever has cocked up here, it wasn't him.

We don't know that for sure. Unless Baskerville has had reassurances to the contrary, he would be wise to seek them in the way he sees fit (subtle or direct questioning).

It may be that the rest of the job has gone well and there is room for goodwill on the contractor's part, especially if Baskerville is a regular client. Large jobs are sometimes plagued with little disasters like this. How the contractor handles them depend to a large extent on his relationship with the client. It's obvious that Baskerville values him highly and hence the working relationship is strong.

In the meantime I'm sure that Baskerville will demonstrate his appreciation in allowing flexability and more tea and biscuits etc. It makes the world of difference when you work for a reasonable client. Not only does it make the job easier but the right contractors really do go the extra mile to help out, because they actually enjoy working for them.

Recently I removed an Aga from a house undergoing a total refit in Exeter and had to enlist the help of the builders on the job. I had never met them before but the client was eager to get rid of it and hence the 4 guys on the job were only too willing to do what they had to do to help out.

In addition I had to back my trailer over a flowerbed to get it to the front door. The client was quite understanding about this but asked us to do what we could to avoid damaging the victorian edging stones fininshing with the words "If a couple get broken then we have to live with that". We made sure that all the edging stones were either removed or completely protected with timber. The plants were dug up where practical and only a large bush was damaged, which will recover quickly I'm sure.

Sorry Lawman, my response was to your first sentance, not your second. It seems clear that the contractor is unlikely to be at fault here.

That's the problem with not being a moderator anymore, I can't correct my own mistakes :(
And for exactly that reason I have just discussed and settled this with him.
Oil CH Boilers - any experts here? - Nsar
It won't fire up. It's not completely dead, in that the fan blows OK but ignition doesn't happen
Oil getting to filer OK, but not getting to the jet it seems.

Help.
Oil CH Boilers - any experts here? - Gromit {P}
Could be an airlock in the fuel feed to the ignition chamber. There should be a bleed valve you can crack open - expect a hiss of escaping air, then foaming oil/air mix, then a trickle of oil. As soon as you get oil trickling out, close the bleed again. And have plenty absorbent stuff (kitchen towel is good, easy to clean up) to hand before you start.

Switch off the power to the ignition before you start - just in case the time-switch decides to click on while you're working on it!

(Used to be a regular job on the Firebird kerosene boiler in my former rented house when the housemates ran the tank dry. Yet again.)
Oil CH Boilers - any experts here? - RichardW
Make sure the tank is not empty (by looking in it). Friends of mine were without heating for 3 days, 2 visits from the fitter, and still no go. Eventually someone looked in the tank, and it was empty - although the gauge on the outside was reading 1/2 full. D'oh!!!!
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Tank is groaning with oil and new filter I fitted to tank has transformed the performance of the AGA.

It's just being a sod, because it knows it's going to be needed in a few weeks' time.
Oil CH Boilers - any experts here? - Rebecca {P}
What kind of boiler is it?

Will ask exH for you. He's an OFTEC engineer so should be able to help.
Oil CH Boilers - any experts here? - defender
with the power switched off unscrew the bolt holding the burner in and pull the burner out to check the electrodes are not gunged up from soot etc caused by it sitting idle over the summer ,wipe them clean or scrape them as needed and replace and try again ,you sometimes can see or hear the spark arcing between the points or as has been suggested bleed it
Rebecca and defender - thanks for that it's a Potterton something or other - I'll post the model number later.

Pianos...again! - Adam {P}
Hello all,

You may remember a while ago that I was going on about pianos. Well by sheer coincidence, there's a very good chance I can get a digital piano very soon. I've noticed one in Costco as part of a special offer which means it's under 500 quid.

Obviously this raises a few questions such as "How good is a 500 quid digital piano going to be?" I'm going to go down tonight and see if I can get a good look at it but I'd appreciate any advice.

It's a Casio AP/80 and in the pictures looks very nice and Mum doesn't seem to mind as it matches some of the furniture! So that part of it's alright.

Any advice would be great - Would a Casio digital piano be alright? It's a full size one and is everything I want. The only thing holding me back is how it's going to sound - aside from having proper keys and full length keyboard, that's the most important factor. It's got USB and a Smart card reader but I'm not really fussed about that because I just want the piano - besides, I do all the sequencing stuff on my keyboard.

Do your worst.

Pianos...again! - bell boy
let your fingers do the walking and try it out

go to a proper music emporium and get their advice theres a cracking one in leeds off the headrow
Well - they had one out and I tried it.

Definitely getting it - Monday hopefully. I'll keep you advised. Thanks again.

Pianos...again! - BazzaBear {P}
Well - they had one out and I tried it.

Did you get a round of applause? Or at least some people throwing money at you?
I have this image of you going to the shop in a tuxedo with tails, don't spoil it please!
Pianos...again! - Altea Ego
Adams playing sounds similar to the noise when he put his finger in the PC fan,
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
I went and people did through money at me but not for an encore - quite the opposite in fact.

Some bloke walked past and pulled a funny face - not unlike the one I pulled when a PC fan crashed into it.

And yes - my finger still hurts.
Didn't go in a tux though. Could only manage a three piecer and a top hat.