What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I Have a Question - Volume 134 - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 135 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PC's. They now go in another Thread.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 134. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18847

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

lcd wallmount - big bird - PhilDews
Big Bird,

try this lot - www.ricamstore.co.uk/erol.html

I bought my bracket for a 32" plasma for £18!, but they do the shelves tht you want
------------------------------------------------
Drive Your Way - If anything can, TerraCan
-----
lcd wallmount - big bird - Big Bird
Thanks for the link PD, but I couldn't find one with an LCD mount plus a small bracket for the digibox.

Might be time to be creative in the tool shed.

Dan
Dangerous electric shower - cont. - Dulwich Estate
In Volume 103 we were having apparent low pressure problems causing the water flow to stop and suddenly start again. Water pressure OK - valve in shower not OK.

The technical helpline of the New Team company was very, very helpful - they suggested I wanted one valve and maybe another bit too at a cost of around £40. The guy spent ages telling me how to fit it, but I chickened out of this d-i-y job - what with water and 10.4kW electricity!!

To get a technician to come out and fit the bits was going to cost £130 all in.

I bought a new one for £133.
Dangerous electric shower - cont. - JH
DE,
"technician"? Would that be a plumber?
JH
I presume they said technician because it's technical with "electricity" too. Thinking about it - if I fit it myself, I suppose I'm now breaking the new rules about electrics in bathrooms .....sshh!
Dangerous electric shower - cont. - Round The Bend
We had a replacement shower fitted recently. Needed a builder, a plumber and 2 electricians!
_______
IanS
2 electricians??

I eventually did it myself (simple replacement of like for like - no fancy stuff) in about 3 hours yesterday - works fine.

Now on to Project II - wireless broadband.
Nokia N70 - Dynamic Dave
Having just upgraded from a Nokia 6230, I find the new phone doesn't have a stopwatch or countdown timer on it. Unless of course I've overlooked something. I've RTFM, I've looked through every menu countless times on the phone, but can't find them anywhere.

First impressions of the N70 is that it's too complicated for it's own good. I'm no technophobe, but trying to replicate things like the calender entries to the new phone are impossible as when they get transfered across, half of them are wrong.

Anyway, back to the original question, does anyone know if it has a stopwatch and countdown timer, or is there some software (free preferably) that I can download for it?
Nokia N70 - Adam {P}
Does yours take a while to respond when navigating the menu?
Nokia N70 - Dynamic Dave
I wouldn't have said too long. Mind you, when you first switch it on it takes an age to boot up.
Nokia N70 - Adam {P}
I have two mates and an acquaintance with the same phone. On my mates' the menu takes forever (enough to dissuade me from getting one) to respond but on the other person's it's a lot quicker.

Is absolutely no use to you whatsoever but you never know when a useless fact may be....well...useful.
Nokia N70 - Altea Ego
Just midly curious, why is a stop watch or countdown function so important?
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Nokia N70 - Pugugly {P}
I was too polite to ask.
Nokia N70 - PhilDS
Hi Dave

The N70 does not have a stopwatch or countdown timer. For some reason Nokia never put all features on any one phone.
You have a Symbian OS Series 60 phone so you can download software onto it.
There are a variety of software providers out there but here's one that might do the job:

www.allaboutsymbian.com/software/item/StopWatch_Ad...p

You will find that although your 6230 and N70 should talk to each other as they have Bluetooth and are both Nokias, some things won't work e.g. birthdays loaded onto the 6230 that have auto annual reminders transfer across as a 24 hour meeting onto the new phone.

Accessing the menu is slower but you can do a number of things at once. E.g. when you press the menu key while writing a text you can access another program and go back to the text later. Beware if you have too many things open as it will get very slow. Press and hold the menu key down for a few seconds and it will show you a list of open programs. Close a few and you're back to normal.

At the end of the day you've got phone that's secondary purpose is as a phone. All the advertising talks about cameras, video, MP3's, 3G, Internet, etc. but not how good it is at being a phone!

Hope that helps.
Nokia N70 - Dynamic Dave
Hope that helps.

It certainly does Phil. Thanks for that.

Yes, I noticed the discrepences with the calender and birthday reminders. On the N70 you have to save them as anniversaries, and you aren't given the date of birth option to inform you how old the person is next time around.

Beginning to wish I'd upgraded to the 6230i now ;o(

I use the stopwatch and countdown timer mainly at work when running timed experiments in the lab.

I found a site via goolge earlier, www.getjar.com/software/Nokia/N70 , and found a free application called chronoTimer. Have downloaded it, but yet to install it on the phone to see if it's any good.
Nokia N70 - SpamCan61 {P}
I found a site via goolge earlier, www.getjar.com/software/Nokia/N70 , and found a free application called chronoTimer. Have downloaded it, but yet to install it on the phone to see if it's any good.

FWIW I've just downloaded & installed chronoTimer on an N series, seems to work fine, haven't managed to crash the phone;-)
Nokia N70 - Dynamic Dave
FWIW I've just downloaded & installed chronoTimer on an N series,

I installed it shortly after posting. Also works fine. Only thing I noticed is that it doesn't give an alarm when it's finished counting down, which is what I was really after ;o(
Nokia N70 - Dynamic Dave
For those who are interested, I have found the application I needed. It's called BmdReminderV3. Works in pretty much the same way the countdown timer does on my 6230.

www.getjar.com/products/5050/BmdReminderV3

Off now to find myself a free stopwatch.
>>I installed it shortly after posting. Also works fine. Only thing I noticed is that it doesn't give an alarm when it's finished counting down, which is what I was really after ;o(

Sorry! I too noticed that after I posted, so I won't be using an N series as a very expensive egg timer after all....
Nokia N70 - Dynamic Dave
Sorry! I too noticed that after I posted, so I won't be using an N series as a very expensive egg timer after all....

Did you see my other posting where I found a better application that does give an alarm?

www.getjar.com/products/5050/BmdReminderV3
Cheers DD, I'll give that a go, if all else fails I'll use SWMBO's old 5100 as a slightly less expensive egg timer.
Nokia N70 - Dynamic Dave
You will find that although your 6230 and N70 should talk to each other as they have Bluetooth and are both Nokias, some things won't work e.g. birthdays loaded onto the 6230 that have auto annual reminders transfer across as a 24 hour meeting onto the new phone. >>

PhilDS, (and anyone else)

I have now found an application that improves the calendar functions on the N70 that includes birthday options (rather than having to save them as anniversarys, which doesn't include the persons age). It runs in conjunction with the calendar, but to make entries you have to use the application rather than using the calendar itself, but then incorperates the data within the calendar once you've saved it.

I can't remember the name of the application and I don't have the phone to hand to remind me of the name, but if anyone wants a copy, then drop me an email. (I'll edit this later to include the name when I get home tonight) - EDIT - The application is called handydates.sis

dave_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk

Nokia N70 - drbe
First impressions of the N70 is that it's too complicated for
it's own good. I'm no technophobe, but trying to replicate >>

Do you find that it makes a humming noise when making phone calls? A friend's does.
Nokia N70 - Dynamic Dave
Do you find that it makes a humming noise when making phone calls? A friend's does.

Can't say that I've noticed. Mind you saying that, I've only used it a couple of times for calls so far. Still haven't set it up fully for emails, bookmarked websites, calender entries, etc. and therefore still using my good old 6230 at the moment until I can get a spare 5 mins day or two to configure it to my preferences.
Nokia N70 - VR6
Mine humms sometimes even when im not making a call and its in 'standby'.

I use something called Egg Clock for my countdown application. Dowloaded it for free off the net.
Removing diesel fuel from drive - L'escargot
What's the best way for me to remove a small diesel fuel (bleugh!) spill from our block-paved drive without resorting to buying an expensive proprietary cleaner? Will petrol dissolve it? I've tried domestic detergents (washing up liquid and biological washing powder) but they were only partially successful.
--
L\'escargot.
Removing diesel fuel from drive - Altea Ego
Yoghurt.

The yoghurt soaks into the brick with the diesel, the mixture gets eaten by microbes and lichens.

Takes a year or two tho
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Garage conversion to office/study - Round The Bend
We're house viewing at the moment and it seems that nothing will suit our needs. We will need a study/office and best solution seems to be to convert a garage if we find a suitable house. Would probably keep the initial up and over door area for storage, then block in. I'm assuming plasterboard would do the trick and we would need to make some provision for floor improvement and electrics.

Has anyone any experience of this? What is involved and what broad estimate of cost should we allow?
_______
IanS
Garage conversion to office/study - Peter D
If it is an up and over door then the wall with have to be at least 4 or 5 feet into the garage to allow the door to still be opened. You will need planning permisssion/building warrant, the electrics and ligths will have to be 'P' Compliant under the new regulations and the change of use may invoke the deeds and the insurance company. All that for a 14ft by 8 ft office and where are you going to put the chest freezer, the bikes and all the garden tools. Regards Peter
Garage conversion to office/study - Group B
Depending on whether the garage has cavity walls or a single skin of brickwork, if not already insulated you would be best fixing timber battens to the walls with insulation between, with plasterboard over the top. If insulating you will also need a vapour control membrane otherwise condensation could cause damp problems. You can do the same for the floor with 18mm T+G chipboard on joists.
All quite straightforward but to do it 'by the book' you will need to get Building Regulations approval; if you do not it could be queried when you come to sell the house and you will have to get approval retrospectively, which can be awkward.
Do a UK-specific web search for "converting garage", there is plenty of info on it.
Garage conversion to office/study - mare
Depending on whether the garage has cavity walls or a single
skin of brickwork, if not already insulated you would be best
fixing timber battens to the walls with insulation between, with plasterboard over the top. If insulating you will also need a vapour control membrane otherwise condensation could cause damp problems. You can
do the same for the floor with 18mm T+G chipboard on
joists.
All quite straightforward but to do it 'by the book' you
will need to get Building Regulations approval; if you do not
it could be queried when you come to sell the house
and you will have to get approval retrospectively, which can be awkward.

Or allow for ripping it out and skipping when you sell!
Garage conversion to office/study - Pugugly {P}
Or allow for ripping it out and skipping when you sell!

A way to avoid all this is to have a (full wall) additional door/window unit installed. I know someone who has done this, it looks smart and can easily be reversed should you decide to move on.
Garage conversion to office/study - Big Bad Dave
"We will need a study/office and best solution seems to be to convert a garage"

Sounds daft but I watched a programme recently about people who were setting up offices in their sheds. Clearly not some pokey potting shed but purpose-built, proper office-like wooden constructions with power. It?s lurking in the back of my brain and I can?t fish it out but I?m sure they were a couple of grand and they really did look the business. It was probly on a sky channel, something like "shedheads" or something with Sarah Beany in it.
Yes you're right it was Property Ladder - it was suggested solution, it seems feasable and cheap, I would have some security concerns about using it as an office.
Garage conversion to office/study - Baskerville
I work from an office in a garden "shed." Security is a slight worry, but it's really no worse than an office in a building with multiple occupants. Mine is double skinned, insulated, with a proper door, shutters and alarm (on the house circuit, so all hell breaks loose). The garden is also surrounded by hedging with spiky plants in it and is covered by a security light. I don't leave anything too valuable/important down there, but I don't think the risk is all that high--it's a great solution. I built it myself for £2.5K, which gives an idea of how solid it is. An estate agent friend reckons it is worth 10% to the house price, which makes it the best six weeks' work I'm ever likely to do.
Nice one Baskerville. I assume you had permission to build an office or a rather nice shed then apply for 'change of use' Your house insurance companu cover the value of the contecnts, or does it need to be a mower that looks like a PC or whatever, Is it P compliant and does it have a fire alarm mains pwered and liked to the house alarm. Nothing's simple is it. Regards Peter
>Nothing's simple is it.

Sometimes.

Insurance company does cover the contents; they are perfectly happy with the arrangement. It's listed on the policy as a "non-habitable room," because it doesn't have foundations, but sits on posts in the American style. I'm not running a company out of it and it's "shared use," so change of use isn't an issue. Is using and storing a computer in your garden shed not allowed now? Do sheds have to be rubbish by law? Don't be ridiculous. I checked with planning and I'm glad I did. But no, they don't care.
I'd be worried about data security of a computer in a shed. But I'm a paranoid old brief !
I'm more worried about the much more valuable bicycles in the much less secure shed next door. Encryption makes me feel OK about the data--not impossible to crack, but very hard. To compensate I worry about forgetting the passkeys.
As long as you checked these things out with the LA including the volume of the Office/shed then that's fine I am just pointing out the pitfalls. Many insurance campanies only insure 'Detached Rooms' for a max of £1000 so check that if it is a problem. Regards Peter
The insurance is fine, really. The rules for businesses are also really quite liberal. Sure you have to check and you have to be reasonable, but I was pleasantly surprised at how relaxed they were. I suspect the economy would grind to a halt if they weren't.
In response to PeterD, The OP (Round the Bend) states "study/office" which suggests it will still be domestic use, so application for change of use not required. If he does not change external appearance of house then planning not required. If running a business from home, Planning permission may still not be required:
www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/genpub/en/101188...l
These are the Planning requirements for other buildings built on your land: www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/genpub/en/110665...l
Its best to ring the local authority and ask, as they may have specific requirements for particular areas.

If Baskerville built his office before Part 'P' regs came into force, then it does not have to comply with Part 'P' regs. He could not be expected to comply with regulations that did not exist at the time of construction...
Rich, you're correct. Idea would be to use it as a home study for part time homeworking so essentially domestic use. I would n't be running a business from it so there would n't be visitors with all the associated issues.

Thanks all for helpful advice and comments.
_______
IanS
We had a client who rang up informally asking if he needed planning permission for a garden shed. We said no, you should not need it for a standard timber garden shed. A few months later he rang up again complaining that the planners had been on to him saying the shed he had erected contravened planning.
"Thats strange, why how big is it?", asked my colleague. "Its 85 feet long", came the reply! He had had it built so his son had an indoor cricket practice wicket...
Thanks Guys.

Pugugly, I don't understand fully what you mean by "(full wall) additional door/window unit installed". Does this replace the upandover?

We have considered having one of those garden/office things. I believe you don't need planning permission so long as they don't exceed 10 Sq Metres - not enough for a practice wicket to use during tea breaks.
_______
IanS
Yes, I thought it was confusing. Neighbours have removed Up and Over leaving a door sized hole, they have installed an entire unit to fil the gap comprising large wooden frame with two floor to ceiling glazed units and a french (single swinging leaf) doorway. It looks as if it was always meant to be like that and not something that was cobbled together. What this does is leave the option for the replacement of the Up and Over door and removal of doors/windows at minimum cost and hassle, should they or future occupants want to reinstate the garage.
Garage conversion to office/study - wotspur
I work for Anglian home improvements,and whilst they are reknowned for windows and conservatories, I only deal with a fairly newish product,Garage conversions,completed with all planning and building regs, price like everything will depend on what you require, the length, height, width etc, but there was an article in the Times last Feb 2005, which said 10-20k for a single/double, but these were avarage prices, and I have done everything from a 6-29k conversion.
A builder Will do it cheaper but to lower specification, and I've known at least 3 people who we've had to rip out and start again, and a couple of others who as one contributor mentioned , the £5k they spent, had to be ripped out when they moved,which cost a further £4k.
sorry but I only deal in Surrey and home counties, but enquire and it will be sorted out.
Standard Life floatation - rory
Our son aged 7 has about 60p in a savings account with Standard Life bank, and they have written to him 'Master Rory' .. indicating that he will be eligible for shares at a discounted rate, come the flotation.

Is this pukka ? can a youngster hold shares ?
Standard Life floatation - Dalglish
?? what have sheds to do with standard life? {Someone posted a reply in the wrong place. I've now sorted the cockup, and *hopefully* not lost any of the posts in the process of tidying up this thread. The PLEASE NOTE:- message at the top of this thread is not there for show!! DD}

rory - you are right, minors cannot own property in their own right in england. don't know about scottish or other law.

Standard Life floatation - Dalglish
Someone posted a reply in the wrong place.

dd: thanks for tidying it up. i looked at the threaded view afterwards, and i think it was peter d who replied to rory's q in error.
PLEASE NOTE:- message at the top of this thread is not there
for show!! DD}

to be fair and/or clear, in this case, i think rory had posted a new q following the proper procedure.

Standard Life floatation - Dynamic Dave
to be fair and/or clear, in this case, i think rory had posted a new q following the proper procedure.

I don't wish to dwell on this, but just to clarify. There was nothing wrong with where Rory had posted.

It was a reply to Baskerville's question in the "Garage conversion to office/study" segment of this thread that ended up being incorrectly in reply to Rory's question which had nothing to do with the question Rory had asked.

DD.
Nice Campsite near Snowdon please - Nsar
Family friendly, chav unfriendly would be ideal. Under an hour from Snowdon.

Thanks in advance.

Nice Campsite near Snowdon please - Statistical outlier
There are several campsites in that area. Depends on what you want, a lot of them a driven by climbers and other outdoor types, not particularly family unfriendly as doesn't tend to be a chav crowd, but don't know about family.

Making huge assumptions about what you want, I would recommend the Forestry Commission campsite near Beddgelert. It's 1 mile north of Beddgelert village on the A4085, grid reference: SH 578 490. It's a big site, lots of families, nice area, and very good toilet blocks with hot showers and kept clean. This is all reflected in the price. It's about a 10-20 min drive from Snowdon depending on which path you want - Llanberis is right on the other side, so would take longer if you wanted to go up on the train. tinyurl.com/25ad5

There's a campsite behind te Bryn Turk in Capel Curig that's good. Much smaller, and the showers are 50p and can be a bit ropey, but the Bryn Turk pub itself is fabulous, very good real ales, and famed for it's excellent (if a little steep) food, particularly good veggie. SH 725 579

Slightly further towards Betws Y Coed there is another site past the Tin Y Coes pub on the right. Good site, larger than the Bryn Turk site, still a bit more basic. The Tin Y Coed does very good, more affordable food and comes recommended.

I know other sites as well - if you need to know more, either ask here, or drop me an email, the address is in my profile.

Does it show that I go to that area a lot??

Gord.
Nice Campsite near Snowdon please - Nsar
Gordon, that's perfect thanks. The FC one at Bedgelert sounds ideal - I prefer more basic stuff but wife and daughter go for a bit of luxury and the extra few quid is worth it.

Cheers
Nice Campsite near Snowdon please - Pugugly {P}
Does it show that I go to that area a lot??

Yes but - it's the Ty'n y Coed (known to the climbers as the "tinny") and Bryn Turk is Bryn Twrch. (sorry SWMBO has leaarnt Welsh)
Nice Campsite near Snowdon please - Statistical outlier
Yes, noticed that after I'd posted it. :-( Ah well.
Nice Campsite near Snowdon please - Pugugly {P}
Sorry it was SWMBO shoulder surfing.
DVD recorder/players - budu
The family VCR having packed up, I want to get a DVD recorder/ player. It must have hard disk as well as removal disk recording, have a digital tuner for when the service reaches our area, and be High Definition ready for when we get a new TV. Can anyone recommend a make/model that has given them good service please? Also a good online supplier?
DVD recorder/players - Altea Ego
Well prolemo number uno is that HD digital tuners (terrestial) are not available yet. HD terrerstial transmissions wont be here before 2012.

So your terrestial HD tuner/Hard drive/DVD burner does not actualy exist. You want HD you need to go sky.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
DVD recorder/players - Dalglish
You want HD you need to go sky

>>
read all about it here:
www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/05/30/hd_buyers_guide_u.../

DVD recorder/players - Welliesorter
I think to be 'High Definition ready' it would have to be Blu-ray or HD DVD. Machines that support these formats (a latter day VHS v Betamax, not sure which is which) are rare to the point of non-existent. Sky and Telewest have high definition hard-drive machines but they're expensive and need a subscription to use.

Probably the best you could hope for now would be a machine with an HDMI (digital) output that 'upscales' to HD. This isn't true HD and I've only seen players, not recorders, that do it.

Given the rapid changes in technology, my approach with TV stuff these days is to go for relatively cheap and cheerful. With this in mind, have a look at svp.co.uk/products-list.php?bid=0&cid=84 .

I can recommend the company as a supplier of hardware and blank discs but have no experience of the actual products on that page.
DVD recorder/players - budu
Many thanks Welliesorter
'Fine Dining' - Martin Devon
Get this. SWMBO has bought, from a bloke who appeared at the gate, some lamb steaks, (frozen), with a promise of the earth and the very best quality blah blah blah. She tried to tell me that she had bought this stuff from our local Butcher cos she knew I would go loco regarding the van chappy. Well, we had this lamb tonight and it was excellent. However she didn't get (or ask) for a receipt. She didn't clock his Reg No.. No business card and no promise of a follow up and for a woman who is usually playing the detective I struggled with this one. Why did they ?target? a very rural hamlet, max? 6 properties in number and if so good why no possibility of a follow up?? The driver was apparently very open. The van was sign written. Just reminds me of the old carpet scam where ?they? pitch up saying that they?ve just done a commercial job and they have a bit left over.

Anybody heard of ?Fine Dining???? apart from the obvious replies chaps!

VBR????????????.MD.
'Fine Dining' - Pugugly {P}
Did you run a geiger counter over it ?
'Fine Dining' - adverse camber
Man stops and sells meat at the door ?

Have you read 'Be my enemy' Christopher Brookmyre ?
'Fine Dining' - Altea Ego
Road Kill? was it hairy and stripey?
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
'Fine Dining' - Nsar
Re-post in the morning. If you can you've had a decent meal for a decent price. If you're struggling to remain at the keyboard for more than 30 seconds, er, you haven't. Stop worrying!
'Fine Dining' - L'escargot
Fine Dining, 9A Ty Draw, Little Mill, Usk, NP4 0HR ?
--
L\'escargot.
'Fine Dining' - Martin Devon
Fine Dining, 9A Ty Draw, Little Mill, Usk, NP4 0HR ?
--
L\'escargot.

Bang on Sir. Their site says they cover areas of Wales. What was he doing in N. Devon I wonder. Perhaps I'll find out today...Cheers.

VBR................MD.
Cold Water Tank/Overflow Pipe - Wally Zebon
The overflow pipe from our cold water tank in the loft is constantly running.

On inspection I find that the level of water in the tank is very near the top with the ballcock/float device totally submerged.

When I lift the float up more water comes into the tank and when I push down it stops, so I think it must be OK.

But how would so much water get into the tank in the first place?
Cold Water Tank/Overflow Pipe - Altea Ego
Your ball valve is screwed.
When you pull up the ball it should stop, and when you push down it should start. Yours is the wrong way round

Needs a new ball valve - pronto if you are on a water meter.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Cold Water Tank/Overflow Pipe - Wally Zebon
I might have made a mistake in my description of the problem.

The basics are that it seems to work OK with the exception of that there is far too much water in the tank. Could the valve be slightly stuck open?

Is it an easy DIY job, or am I looking for a £90 per hour plumber?
Cold Water Tank/Overflow Pipe - Xileno {P}
The operation should be as TVM says. Are you sure you have not got confused?

It is unlikely that there is anything wrong with it apart from the washer needs replacing. 20p from local hardware shop, maybe less.
Cold Water Tank/Overflow Pipe - henry k
It is unlikely that there is anything wrong with it apart from the washer needs replacing. 20p from local hardware shop, maybe less.

>>
Can you give us a description of the valve.
I suspect it is a traditional brass one with a ball on the end

Is the body brass/metal?
Has it got a ball on the end about 4 inches diameter?
If it is the above, does it have a cap on the end of the valve or can you from the tank end see a plunger sliding in the body when you move the arm?

Or is the body plastic?
Does it have a very small translucent float?

If it is the traditional valve then it is not difficult to change the washer but you will need some instructions in how to do it. There are several different sizes of the small disk of rubber that needs changing.

In the meanwhile identify where you turn off the water supply to the valve and make sure it works. It maybe you have to turn off the main supply within the house to achieve this.
Dont ponce about with washers, or stripping valves or any of that rubbish. If its a hard water area the old one is always furred up.

A new one is 10 quid max in any DIY store. Change it. Its a 10 minute job for any competant diyer with two adjustable wrenches who knows where his main stopcock is.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Dont ponce about....
Change it. Its a 10 minute job for any competant diyer

>>

Either way fix it or change it if you are competant.

The thought of extracting the old valve may seem a bit daunting compared with "changing the washer"

I totally agree with it probably being furred up but hey it is a challenge.
Cold Water Tank/Overflow Pipe - Nsar
The ballcock arm sounds like it's stuck in a position just before shut-off. Pull it up so the water shuts off, jam it there, run some water off so the whole thing is above water, clean it up, grease it and release, hopefully it will move back up to the correct position when the tank fills and the water will shut off.
If that doesn't work try any of the above.
Cold Water Tank/Overflow Pipe - L'escargot
If the existing valve is OK all you might need is either a new ball/float (if it is punctured and has filled with water) or the existing ball might need to be lowered relative to the valve body in order to lower the water level at which the valve closes. On newer valves the arm bends through a right angle downwards and you can adjust the position of the ball on the vertical part of the arm. On older valves you have to bend the arm downwards. It takes quite an effort to do this and it would probably be easier to change the valve.

If you do need to change the valve (including a new ball), I've found that the easiest way is to remove the body and innards etc, but leave the inlet pipe which goes through the side of the tank in situ. Remove the inlet pipe off the new valve by undoing the pipe nut and attach the rest of the valve to the old inlet pipe. Carefully clean the sealing end of the inlet pipe beforehand, and don't lose the nylon valve seat or the fibre washer. Obviously you can only use this method if the parts are compatible, but a visual inspection before you start should confirm this. The design in the region of the inlet pipe has been standard for many a long year. The advantage of this method is that you do not risk creating a leak outside of the tank. There should be no leak where the new valve mates with the old inlet section because the seal is created by a face-sealing fibre washer. But if it does leak, it's inside the tank so it's not disastrous.

You'll need an open ended spanner (approx 31 mm A/F or whatever that is in real money) to fit the tube nut, a pair of water pump pliers to hold the body of the valve, and some Vaseline to put on the tube nut before final assembly to make it easier to undo in future. Adjust the position of the ball to suit; it's better to have it too low than too high. It's a doddle.

--
L\'escargot.
Cold Water Tank/Overflow Pipe - pmh
While you are at it inspect the contents at the bottom of the tank. Particularly if the tank lid is not secured. You may be horrified, bird carcasses are not unknown, just think about it next time you clean your teeth!

I would advocate changing the whole valve body and float/float arm and leave the inlet in place on the tank if possible for minimum potential problems. Take the old one out and get a matching replacement at a proper plumbers merchant.
--

pmh (was peter)

Cold Water Tank/Overflow Pipe - defender
I would agree with changing the valve and using the old inlet pipe fitted to the tank ,just make sure the insert in the new valve is the same ,the different pressure ratings are usually a different colour but not always so check the hole size.
Cold Water Tank/Overflow Pipe - Dulwich Estate
This not strictly relevant to the problem which seems to have been most adequately covered by those who know. But, if it's a black plastic tank you might just want to check if you've got any woodworm in the loft. Sounds daft, but true - woodworms (beetle larvae) seem to love to make holes in them.

PS Make sure there's no loft insulation under the tank too. Helps to keep it from freezing in winter.
I would agree with changing the valve and using the old
inlet pipe fitted to the tank ,just make sure the insert
in the new valve is the same ,the different pressure ratings
are usually a different colour but not always so check the
hole size.

Yep, I forgot to mention that. For normal mains pressure you need a "high pressure" version which has a valve seat with a hole of about 2.5 mm through it. In low pressure versions (presumably those fed from a header tank) the hole is usually about 9 mm; that's the only difference. But if you buy the wrong rating valve you can always get a valve seat of the correct size. I found out the hard way that if you fit a low pressure valve to a normal mains system you'll be lucky if the valve seals properly. I'm not sure what happens the other way round.
--
L\'escargot.
While you are at it inspect the contents at the bottom
of the tank. Particularly if the tank lid is not secured.
You may be horrified, bird carcasses are not unknown,
just think about it next time you clean your teeth!

Isn't it usually only bath cold taps which are fed from the tank?
--
L\'escargot.
Cold Water Tank/Overflow Pipe - Happy Blue!
All our cold taps are mains fed. I think this is standard now.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Cold Water Tank/Overflow Pipe - Dulwich Estate
AFAIK up until around 199? the entire bathroom supply: basin, bath & WC was fed from the cold tank. The modern thinking of saving space and money brought us into the age of combi boilers (no cold tank, no expansion tank, and no standby immersion heater either).

This may be well and good in a modern country, but for "third- world" Britain give me the old fashioned way. When the mains supply goes off you've still got a tankful for a few days.
Cold Water Tank/Overflow Pipe - Group B
Depends where you live. Direct cold water system, ie. mains water direct to all the cold taps in the house, has been around for donkeys years, but works best in areas with good mains water pressure and soft water. In areas with hard water and/or low mains water pressure it was more common to have an indirect system with an extra cold water tank in the loft.
I didnt used to understand the "dead pigeons in the water" story, I thought that would only be a problem if you drank water from the hot tap. Wasnt until later in life I discovered you shouldnt drink water from some cold taps!
Err guys, it dont matter what type of system you have, if you have a cold water tank in your loft it will ALWAYS have high pressure mains feed. There is no header tank as it is the header tank!
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Err guys, it dont matter what type of system you have,
if you have a cold water tank in your loft it
will ALWAYS have high pressure mains feed. There is no header
tank as it is the header tank!

What about in tall buildings where the mains pressure is insufficient to take the water up to the header tank?

I think the main point is that at some shops high pressure and low pressure valves will be on the same shelf side by side. Both versions are externally identical and the only identification will be either on the wrapper or on the shelf label.
--
L\'escargot.
A new one is 10 quid max in any DIY store.

>>
Or even cheaper in Wickes today.
Traditional brass valve with straight or bent arm £4.79 and a new ball a big 59p
Or splash out on a clever little Torbeck at £7.49

Plenty of change from £10 for a reel of PTFE tape.

Even if you buy two specific spanners from a plumbers merchants there will still lots of change from just a call out charge.
Cold Water Tank/Overflow Pipe - defender
hendry you could buy a tank as well as the valve and tools for the call out charge
Freeview boxes - Happy Blue!
SWMBO bought a whole system last year. All Philips LCD TV, Freeview box and combined Video/DVD. The set top box is awful. You can have a great picture on analogue but switch to Freeview and over half the channels cannot be received. Its totally intermittent. Usually very bad weather affects the signal, but yesterday in superb evening sunshine, I managed to get just the shopping channels and BBC4.

Is the box useless? We've had the aerial checked and it all seems to be OK. Are other brands any better?
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Freeview boxes - Altea Ego
Does your device have some kind of signal strenth/quality display/page. Whats your postcode?

I have a sagem

I would have said that was excelent, it pulled in every available channel on every availble mux. It suffers very few drop outs and quality is fab

However

It now sudeenly freezes up when you use BBC news interactive multi screen. I assume it has had an on air software update that screwed it!
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Freeview boxes - No FM2R
Espada,

First go here and see what it tells you that you should receive.

www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/coverage.html

M.
Freeview boxes - daveyjp
Espada - too strong a signal can also be a problem. If you are near two transmitters it is possible the freeview box picks up the weaker signal. My parents are in South Yorkshire and Emley Moor is the nearest mast, but Freeview was picking up signals from Belmont which serves Lincolnshire, as a result the picture was awful. They needed an adapter fitting to the aerial input which reduced the signal strength.
Freeview boxes - daveyjp
Just found this which explains the problem.

www.bbc.co.uk/reception/digital_tv/freeview_troubl...l

Freeview boxes - Altea Ego
And you will also see that fitting an attenuator into the aerial lead is the wrong fix. Its a bodge if you like.

Picking up the wrong transmitter is resolved at source by fitting an aerial of the correct group(s) with a with high gain, and a very narrow reception angle - Highly directional.

Point it the right way and away you go.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Freeview boxes - No FM2R
>>Point it the right way and away you go.

Exactly. And the link I gave you above will also tell you what bearing to point it at.
Freeview boxes - SpamCan61 {P}
Picking up the wrong transmitter is resolved at source by fitting
an aerial of the correct group(s) with a with high gain,
and a very narrow reception angle - Highly directional.

Whilst I certainly wouldn't disagree with that in principle there is the issue of whether the frequency plan for a particular transmitter will change after analogue switch off, there are certainly plans to allocate some existing channels for other uses. So I'd regard a wideband antenna as being more 'future proof' where it is usable.

Most detailed location checker or DVB-T reception I know of is here :-

www.wolfbane.com/cgi-bin/tvd.exe?

According to other sites my DTT reception should be either non-existant or very patchy, but this one correctly predicts my good reception via an 8 quid Screwfix wideband :-)
Video camera - which one? - Xileno {P}
I want to buy a video camera but don't have any idea what to get. I am thinking one that records onto DVD may be best although they seem a bit more money. Can anyone suggest a good one? I am prepared to spend up to £500.
Video camera - which one? - Altea Ego
Friend has the Sony DCR-DVD105E I taped some dog training exercises on it for inclusion on a commercial DVD

Picture quality is stunning for a cheap camera. Microphone is brilliant (no noise or wind but sensetive enough) The DVD format is really handy, play straight onto your PC or DVD player at home.

However

The Mini DVD rw's are expensive, limited recording time, and the battery life was very low ( need a spare and a car charger)

Really good quality for less than 500 quid tho. You can get the camera, two batteries and a car charger in your budget.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Video camera - which one? - henry k
Microphone is brilliant (no noise or wind but sensetive enough)

>>
>>
I found that the mic on my Sony is too sensitive.
I tried a Sony add on mike and that did not solve it.
The result is that quite a few recordings have the sound of my beathing on them.
This is something that is not covered when trying it in a noisy shop
>>
battery life was very low ( need a spare and a car charger)
Really good quality for less than 500 quid tho. You can get the camera, two batteries and a car charger in your budget.

>>
Well Batteries for mine were about £70 £100 and £150 each
I also bought a clone and it was very poor.
So do check prices e.g. Jessops online.
I have no idea what to get. Sony seem a good make so I might get this one. Can I record onto DVD though and put it in my DVD player? I don't want to spend time loading it onto my computer first. I am not looking for professional quality, just amateur wildlife such as filming the bats that have invited themselves into our loft.
Video camera - which one? - borasport20
filming the bats that have invited themselves into our loft.

Bats ... fascinating animals, I'm taking posession of a bat detector this weekend.
But be aware that they are legally protected - see www.rspb.org.uk/countryside/legalissues/bats_law.a...p for a summary

--
Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
Indeed, however we are getting a lot of enjoyment watching them. Each evening we go out and sit in the garden with our drinks and watch them evacuating the roof. Last night I counted 92. It would be interesting to know what type they are. I am hoping to video them with my new camcorder.
Video camera - which one? - borasport20
We don't have any in the house, nor in the bat box I put up last year, but we do get them flying round the garden regularly. I'm hoping the bat detector may allow me to identify them from their sugnals, but I don't know for certain that it will

--
Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
Video camera - which one? - Altea Ego
X

yep you can drop them into your TV DVD straight fromt he dvd camera, or plug your camera into the tele and play them from there.

The sony is really good at lowish light levels so is perfect for bats. BUT if you are serious about filming bats in poor light you need to pay more for machines with better lenses and CCD's
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Video camera - which one? - SpamCan61 {P}
>>
Well Batteries for mine were about £70 £100 and £150 each
I also bought a clone and it was very poor.
So do check prices e.g. Jessops online.

Ah yes; I remember paying 60 quid plus at Jessops for a JVC equivalent camcorder battery :-((. There are all sorts of batteries at all sorts of prices on eBay and suchlike; I found that Uniross offer a good compromise between price and performance for my canon camcorder and Panasonic digicam batteries:-

www.uniross.com/UK/info/Camcorder/0504

This looks like a reasonable summary of types of camcorder available, although an Amercian site so model numbers may be different:-

www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,120086,00.asp
Thanks for all the replies. I am going shopping tomorrow in Bath so will have a look around all on my own - a treat.

{Although this thread is now closed, please continue with any questions in the next volume - DD}