What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I Have a Question Volume 122 - Hugo {P}

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 123 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PC's. They now go in another Thread.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 122. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18847

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

'Snipped Dogs' continued - Armitage Shanks {p}
Adam, to be serious, I don't know if dogs are snipped (like humans) or there is a total removal which is probably cheaper. I do recall reading about dogs that had had their parts removed, as opposed to disconnected, suffering a loss of self-esteem when they were out for a walk and meeting other dogs who were "all there". This was apparently more of aproblem in USA where dogs take these matters very seriously. This link will take to a wealth of information on how you can re-equip your dog with silicone round objects and nice bag to carry them in!
tinyurl.com/gdmna
'Snipped Dogs' continued - deepwith
Adam, The vet will probably tell you to cut Homer's food once he has been 'done' as pocket picked dogs can put on weight - but only if you let them. Mind you, this is difficult if they are fed together.
'Snipped Dogs' continued - Altea Ego
Its the bitches that put on weight a lot if you spey them. The blokes are normally not bad.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
'Snipped Dogs' continued - The Lawman
Well, when I had my cat (Dave) done he started piling it on. He is almost spherical now.
'Snipped Dogs' continued - Gromit {P}
Going back to Adam's original question in IHAQ 121:

For Homer, the dog whose testicles haven't descended, the vet will operate to remove the testicle completley. This avoids the risk of cancer.

In an ordinary neutering, an incision is made in the testicle, then the tubes are withdrawn and cut. I learned the difference when the family adopted a stray tomcat who we promptly sent for neutering - having started the operation in the normal way, the vet found that his second testicle had retracted as far as his diaphragm. The cat was right as rain afterwards - the whole affair didn't knock a shake out of him.

Incidentally, 'the snip' will make very little difference to the behaviour of an adult dog as, by then, their muscle is able to produce enough testosterone to compensate for the loss of hormone produced by the testes. The big advantage is that, becuause the dog no longer has the mating instinct, he won't tend to wander or fight.

- Gromit
'Snipped Dogs' continued - Adam {P}
Again, thanks very very much for the continued help.

I think we're going to schedule the op for sometime in the summer holidays so that there's at least one of us here to look after him. Apparently he'll be a bit tender for 10 days and putting him in the same room as Charlie all day probably isn't a good idea.

Of course, I'll keep you all informed of what happens.

Thanks again,

Adam
'Snipped Dogs' continued - Adam {P}
Just to add, the vet is on about completely removing them.
Electricty use meter - Robin
Last night on Newsnight they had an item about cuting electricity use in the home. The reporter had a nifty little handheld gadget that told him how much power was being used in each room in his house. This gadget was not connected to anything. I would like to get hold of one of these things but don't know what they are called or who makes them. It looked like a large digital thermometer. Any ideas?
Electricty use meter - Dynamic Dave
Clip on ammeter perchance?

www.electricalhowto.com/How_to/images/clip-o27.jpg
Electricty use meter - SpamCan61 {P}
Not as accurate as a proper clip on ammeter, but I bought a plug in power meter very similar to the one linked to below. A fiver from Lidl.

www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=38343&criter...3
Electricty use meter - Cardew
Not as accurate as a proper clip on ammeter, but I
bought a plug in power meter very similar to the one
linked to below. A fiver from Lidl.
www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=38343&criter...3

That one measures volts and amps only; so obviously you can calculate the instantaneous wattage.

I thought there were similar cheap devices that had a time function as well. So you could plug in, say, a PC and see the kWh it had consumed over a set period.
Electricty use meter - SpamCan61 {P}
>>I thought there were similar cheap devices that had a time function as well. So you could plug in, say, a PC and see the kWh it had consumed over a set period.

Yep, my five quid Lidl one has a built in clock, so can do kwh or indeed, you can enter the pence per Kwh and it will monitor 'cost'. Makes the Maplin one look waaayyy overpriced, just happend to be the first one I could find on the web.
It was not a clip on ammeter. It did not clip onto anything (so I did wonder how might work) but was just held in the hand. the report clearly showed the display on this thing and that it had no wires coming out of it.
Electricty use meter - g3zdm
Was it a standard house ?
The only way I can think it would work is if they had an energy meter coupled to the circuits in each room ; this could transmit the readings from each meter to the handheld device.
Otherwise I am mystified - and I work for a company that makes (amongst other things) electrical metering chips.

Chris Muriel, Manchester
Electricty use meter - Stargazer {P}
I had a web address (and can I find it!) of a NZ or Oz company selling a monitoring kit.. a RF sender unit that clips around the meter tails and a small handheld lcd screen to read the results. They sell in this country as well. My wife found it after mentioning that it would be really useful to be able to monitor elec and gas use in real time from within the house. Now if someone can point the way to a combined gas and electrical monitor then that would be useful!

StarGazer
Great. I have found it! Armed with Stargazer's tip about Australia I found the company that make this thing. Its called Centameter They are indeed in Australia. Website is at
www.centameter.com.au/

and you can buy at in the UK where it is called the Electrisave from

www.electrisave.co.uk/pages/about_us/why

It works by having a transmitter connected to the electricity meter so presumably it transmits the increase in consumption when something is switched on.
Mobile Phone Cos - Pezzer
Does anybody know if they work to calendar quarter sales targets as I notice that there seem to be some fairly decent deals around at the moment ?

Trouble is my contract isnt up for renewal until April and I remember similarly attractive deals last year which then suddenly seemed to disappear when it was time for me to change. If so I might jump a bit early.

Thanks
P
Mobile Phone Cos - Altea Ego
Its the end of a lot of companies financial year.....
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Mobile Phone Cos - Happy Blue!
I've had a business account for eight phones with T-Mobile for several years. Whenever I get itchy about cheaper tariffs on other networks, I ring up my customer service manager and we change tariffs, even within a contract period. I have just done this even with six of the phones within contract, and saved over £125 per month.

Why don't you ring up your provider and see what better tariffs are available if you remain with them?
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Mobile Phone Cos - Pezzer
Yup just done the same with 02 thanks v much. Found a better tarrif elsewhere which they immediately matched and chucked in a new phone which is released next week.

Thanks Espada/TVM
Solicitor charges - property - Leif
I was talking this evening with a friend who is acting as an executor for his late uncle. Apparently he owned a few houses and a butcher's shop. Anyway, he said that the solicitor has thus far charged almost 100 hours at a total cost of £18K. There is more work to do, and there will be a further flat charge of 0.5-1.5% of the total value of the estate. This struck me as incredibly high as the cost to deal with my late mother's estate (1 house) was less than £2K in total. I know that the business accounts have already been dealt with by an accountant and winding up a business is no big deal. Does anyone have any feel for whether or not such a figure is possible? I believe she is doing the paper work, and not spending lots of time travelling around. The total value of the estate is about £1.3 million and my suspicious mind wonders if the solicitor has smelt a good source of income.

Sorry to be a bit vague, but I have encouraged my friend to obtain from the solicitor an itemised breakdown of the work she has charged for. I have also suggested that he have a short chat with another solicitor to get his feedback.

Thanks. Leif
Solicitor charges - property - Armitage Shanks {p}
Hi Leif I can't comment on the number of hours booked for the work but I can say that the hourly rate being charged seems to right. I just had a small problem handled by a local (East Midlands) solicitor and he was £150/ hour + VAT and his junior, who was a trainee doing pupillage, was £90/hour.
Solicitor charges - property - Duchess
It is possible to use the Law Society to ask for a "remuneration certificate" whereby the Society checks and validates the hours charged by the complainant's solicitor. It's not a service I've use personally but I've heard it recommended. Have a look at this link for full details:

www.lawsociety.org.uk/choosingandusing/payingforse...w

Solicitor charges - property - Mapmaker
18k. It sounds reasonable enough. By which I mean that it sounds typical enough. Winding up an estate with anything more than just a house is a right faff and a real paper chase. 100 hours doesn't sound too bad. Remember the houses will still have tenants who require servicing, and presumably the solicitor is dealing with their blocked drains and blown lightbulbs; rents need collecting; tenants need informing etc. etc. etc.

Never, ever, let a solicitor deal with a deceased person's estate. Mostly it's a paper chase that anybody can do. Go to a solicitor on a per-hour basis for the difficult bits, but never let them charge a flat rate on the value of the estate - that's a licence to print money for them.
Solicitor charges - property - The Lawman
Your uncle, as executor, hired the solicitors. If he did not agree to the flat charge, he doesn't have to pay it. If he did agree to it, why is he now complaining about it?

Solicitors can overcharge when dealing with substantial estates, but they do far more for their money than estate agents do...

Well I would say that wouldn't I?

I endorse the suggestion to go for a remuneration certificate.
Solicitor charges - property - buzbee
18k. It sounds reasonable enough. . . . 100 hours doesn't sound too bad.

18,000 divided by 100 equals £180 per hour. That's not my idea of reasonable.
Solicitor charges - property - The Lawman
You may not think so, but for a senior solicitor (probably a partner) it is about the going rate. You will pay double that in London.
Solicitor charges - property - Mapmaker
180 per hour. Assume that you manage to charge 4.5 hours per day, for 46 weeks of the year. That's 186k. Out of that you have to pay your secretary, office rent, secretary's car, insurance, VAT man... that's not outrageous.

Go for a City firm and you'll pay three or four or five times that.
Solicitor charges - property - Altea Ego
180 an hour? with some dealers now charging 70 an hour for servicing rates?

Seems about right to me.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Solicitor charges - property - Pugugly {P}
Just remember that 180 quid an hour does not go straight into a partner's pocket. Staff wages, infrastructure costs (Buildings, IT, other costs) all take a bite. Personally in exactly 3 years months I will care very little and do these jobs to pay for holidays and cars !
Solicitor charges - property - cheddar
Paid 90 quid to have a consultant look at my knee, I was with him all of 15 minutes.
Solicitor charges - property - Cardew
I have had 2 unbelievable experiences with the costs charged by solicitors for winding up very simple estates. Both were challenged, which cost extra, and the Law Society said both "were just within the permitted scale maximum." My solicitor was horrified but advised that the cost in fighting it would swallow even more funds. He passed the papers to a colleague(without telling him the background) who at a quick glance estimated charges at 20% of those deducted.

One elderly relative was persuaded by the solicitor to appoint herself as the executor, - he thought I was! One asset took up 2 paragraphs in the detailed bill, writing to dispose of the asset(full details of the asset serial no etc), bringing the monies onto account and placing on deposit at x% interest etc.

The asset? a £5 Premium Bond.
Solicitor charges - property - RichardW
Trouble is, if the solicitor is appointed executor he is working for someone who is dead, so there is no incentive for him to get the done more quickly. This sounds to me like a) a conflict of interest and b) a licence to print money. Ensure your will names someone else as executor - they do not have to do anything beyond engage a solicitor if they want, but the solicitor is working for them, and they can tell him how to behave (eg not sending 6 letters at a time, at £25 each....) - and if performance is not up to the mark, employ someone else.

My sister and I wound up my Grandad's estate - that was pretty small, but still involved 1/2 day trailing round the banks, lots of form filling, a visit to the probate office, doing some conveyancing (I rang solicitor about this - at least £500, so I got a book from the library and did it myself) etc etc.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Solicitor charges - property - Cardew
Trouble is, if the solicitor is appointed executor he is working
for someone who is dead, so there is no incentive for
him to get the done more quickly. This sounds to
me like a) a conflict of interest and b) a licence
to print money. Ensure your will names someone else as
executor - they do not have to do anything beyond engage
a solicitor if they want, but the solicitor is working for
them, and they can tell him how to behave (eg not
sending 6 letters at a time, at £25 each....) -

Exactly,

My relative went to have a new will drawn up and did not even know he had appointed the solicitor as his executor. He was under the impression that I was still the executor(as I had been in his previous will). Of course I didn't see the new will until after he died, although he had discussed it with me.

It cost the beneficiaries many £Thousands for largely clerical effort that I could have done easily - closing Bank accounts, paying utility bills, cancelling pensions etc.
Solicitor charges - property - Stuartli
>>..and did not even know he had appointed the solicitor as his executor. >>

There's a very old saying that where there's money there's always a fiddle.

A pal was telling me yesterday that his elderly mother had been talked over the phone by a double-glazing company into having a new conservatory.

The work was done and it looked good. A few days later the manager of the company turned up on the doorstep to check out the work and see if she was satisfied.

She was and he asked if there was anything else that might interest her, such as a new tiled floor for the conservatory?

Eventually she agreed. He pointed out that it was expensive but he knew someone who could get the tiles at low cost and added that, if she gave him a deposit, he would make sure she would get the tiles required.

A sum of £50 was agreed and handed over. Nothing happened, so my pal got in touch with the double-glazing company, only to learn that they had no manager of the name given.

Turns out that someone had been watching the conservatory being built and had then deliberately screwed the lady concerned for a few quid.

Only relief was that she did have more money in the house but, fortunately, only agreed the sum of £50.

Just how do such toe rags sleep at night?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Solicitor charges - property - Leif
Thanks for the replies, especially those from people with legal knowledge.

~£200 per hour is normal for a qualified solicitor, but still excessive IMO. But that's another story.

Leif
What do you think he did... - Mapmaker
eBay item 6047685465 - well it made me laugh, anyway.
What do you think he did... - Armitage Shanks {p}
It is slightly amusing but where does this e bay find fit into a discussion about solictor's fees, or am I missing something?
What do you think he did... - lordy
Err, it's a new thread Armitage ;)
--
let me be the last to let you down....
What do you think he did... - Dynamic Dave
Err, it's a new thread Armitage ;)

I'm glad someone noticed! I've already had to move and re-title the subject header of 2 replies to this question that should have been posted in reply to the "Solicitor charges - property" question.

DD.
What do you think he did... - Armitage Shanks {p}
Yes, right! I did miss something! Dozy old fool! Sorreeeeeee!
15 inch LCD TVs - Round The Bend
We're looking for one of these for our bedroom. Seems that Amazon have a good range for under £200 but would appreciate any views/receommendations as to best buys and best makes.
_______
IanS
15 inch LCD TVs - Dulwich Estate
Take a look at morgancomputers.co.uk. It's mainly computer stuff, but at the moment they've got a Sony Wega 15inch LCD TV at just under £200. I've always been happy with Morgan and their good buys don't hang around for long.
15 inch LCD TVs - buzbee
If you get a chance to view the screen before you buy, check the screen as follows. If it is at eye level in the shop, stoop down and see what happens to the quality/colour/brightness of the picture. Early LCD's/TVs, and even some recent cheap offers, have a very narrow viewing angle in the vertical direction and so you usually see them on display in the shop at eye level.
15 inch LCD TVs - BobbyG
I quite fancied an LCD television until our shop started selling them!
We have a bank of 15 TV's of all shapes andsizes, from a TV/VCR combi to a state of the art LCD. They all show the same thing which is a promotional DVD, played from the one player and fed to all the TVs. The difference in quality and actual physical picture is unbelievable. The best picture is definitely coing from the "conventional" TVs in this set up. The difference between the quality of all the LCDs is quite unbelievable.
15 inch LCD TVs - deepwith
If you just want it for the bedroom and have a laptop, then consider a Elgato eyetv, which plugs into laptop and gives digital ordinary + freeview channels, video recording etc - box about 2" x 1.5" - brilliant. Look at Elgato.com for details. I paid £58 on ebay but they are under £100 new.
15 inch LCD TVs - Welliesorter
Asda sell a Relisys 17" widescreen model for (I think) £229.99. As well as the usual TV inputs, it has an analogue VGA input, enabling it to be used as a PC monitor.
15 inch LCD TVs - Armitage Shanks {p}
Always have a look at Richer Sounds website to get some price comparisons. They have lots of good stuff and their warranties are excellent; under £50 for 3 years on an LVD TV and if you don't claim you get the money back! Compare that with the other deals on the High Street! You can pay £15 for warranty on a toaster!
Thanks Guys.

Morgan's Sony looks good but am a little concerned that it's a factory refurb and only has 6 months warranty.

I am a committed Richer Sounds customer and they have some good "one offs" from £150 mark. Anyone know if makes such as BEKO, Goodmans and Relisys are any good?
_______
IanS
15 inch LCD TVs - Altea Ego
In *my* opinion I personaly would not touch anyhting with a beko or goodmans label on it.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
That's what I thought. I've always thought of them as a bit "Alba"
_______
IanS
15 inch LCD TVs - sierraman
Goodmans were a quality speaker manufacturer,I have a pair bought ten years ago that are fine.Their electrical goods are generally rebadged.Also had a Beko fridge,gave no problems and is still working in a friends flat.
15 inch LCD TVs - Stuartli
Goodmans were a quality speaker manufacturer>>

"Were" or, rather "was", is perfectly correct in relation to the time it was a UK based manufacturer.

Brand names such as Alba, Bush, Decca etc were snapped up by Far Eastern companies and, in many cases, the general public hasn't cottoned on to the fact.

My best mate (of independent audio/visual/appliance retail outlet fame), does sell the odd Beko model and certainly wouldn't do so if they were not reasonably reliable and/or offered at the price too many customers want to pay these days.

That's due, of course, to competition from in particular non-specialist outlets selling these type of products (think Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury, Morrisons etc) at low cost, usually from marques which have rarely been heard of previously. If they go wrong, just try and get them repaired.

There's an old saying that you get what you pay for and it still applies.
15 inch LCD TVs - Stuartli
>>but am a little concerned that it's a factory refurb and only has 6 months warranty.>>

Apparently many Morgan Computers' "refurbished" products, including digital cameras, are not refurbished at all but are in fact brand new.

It's the means by which manufacturers dispose of outgoing models without upsetting too many earlier buyers of such products.

Not really much point in "refurbishing" products in view of the cost involved.

What's for you won't pass you by
Plumbing - lead waste pipe - deepwith
Have been plumbing in a new basin today and hit a snag. It is a bungalow extension built in '59 and has a lead waste pipe going into a concrete floor so we cannot replace the whole pipe. The present u-bend is wobbling around and cannot seem to secure it onto the lead pipe or untwist it. There is a 6" gap between the basin and the present u-bend so were intending to put a new u-bend (plastic s-bend) in place. Could we cut the lead pipe below the wonky u-bend and then how would we secure the new one? or should we just tape up the wonky joint (which does not appear to leak) and attach an extension pipe from the basin to the present u-bend? Or is there a third way?
Sorry this is rather convoluted - a girl thing.
Or perhaps we should admit defeat and (ouch) call a plumber?
Plumbing - lead waste pipe - L'escargot
Sorry this is rather convoluted ......

Was that an intentional pun? Convoluted pipe is flexible!
--
L\'escargot.
L'escargot ..... ;-)

Plumbing - lead waste pipe - Altea Ego
Is this a wash basin?

If it is I would bodge it. Cut the lead pipe off further down. Get a plastic waste pipe joint and fit it to the lead pipe. Its easy to shrink or flare lead pipe a wee bit to fit outher diameters. Silicon sealant to finish the joint and then make the rest up to the sink u bend with plastic pipe the standard way.

If you dont feel that confident or inventive then call a plumber - I am sure he has done something similar. There may even be a lead waste/plastic pipe fitting he knows about.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Plumbing - lead waste pipe - sierraman
There is,my washbasin had a plastic trap,length of black plastic pipe them a joint onto the lead.It was all replaced a couple of weeks ago so I cannot check the detail.Try asking at a builders merchants or plumbers suppliers.
Thank you, thank you all! Found a fitment for the lead pipe at the plumbers suppliers- still bodging a bit to get it to fit but my, the blow torch does a fine creme brulee! Anyway, back to plumbing- will finish it off tomorrow while smaller members of the family are out of harms way at the Saints match. Then it is just the new fitting in the loo ...
Recorded Message Calls - Duchess
Last night, my phone rang and when I picked it up, there was a recorded message saying "This is an important message for Duchess from Major Credit Company. If you are Duchess, please press 1, if you are not Duchess, please press 2."

I know the company named, they provide a couple of my store cards, but I don't know what it might be about. I hung up on the basis that I don't like the idea of pressing buttons on a call I'm not in control of. I can't remember if it's an urban myth but there have been stories about this resulting in the person being called getting a premium rate charge?

Does anyone here know if this call is legitimate and safe to respond to? My feelings about a company that can't even be bothered to call me personally are a separate matter!

Recorded Message Calls - daveyjp
This is how Egg now contact customers - it annoyed me so much (especially when they started contacting me at work) I cut up the card and (eventually - but that's another story!) cancelled the agreement.
Recorded Message Calls - Armitage Shanks {p}
If you are prepared to have ALL 'number witheld' calls blocked your telephone provider will do it for you, for a fee. I organised it at my home but then had to to stop it as people calling me via a switchboard could not get thru. If you have 'Caller Display' you can always look and not answer the call if the number is withheld or if it is a number you don't recognise. There is the Telephone Preference Service where you can register as not wishing to receive unsolicited calls and people who do call you, in breach of your request, can be fined thousands of pounds; I don't if any of them ever have been but the courts or the telecom regulator have power to order this.
Recorded Message Calls - Armitage Shanks {p}
Link to telephone preference service website

www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/
Recorded Message Calls - Xileno {P}
TPS - brilliant. We've had this for about a year now and I can't remember the last sales call we had. Thoroughly recommend it.

Caller display - be aware that genuine overseas calls are not displayed so if my family call me from France or New Zealand then the screen is blank.
Recorded Message Calls - Nsar
I wish I could say the same of TPS, had it for perhaps 2 years and get daily calls.
Recorded Message Calls - Welliesorter
In my experience, being listed by the TPS works.

The trouble in this case is that it's not a sales call but a company with which you already have a business relationship. This certainly wouldn't be covered by the TPS.

The commonest reason for a credit card company to contact you is that there's an unusual transaction on your account. It's probably legitimate but they check with you as a precaution. I've sometimes had this when paying for such items as hotel bills and mobile top-ups by credit card. The sting in the tail is that they may have suspended the use of the card until the transaction is confirmed as genuine.

If you want to screen your calls before answering, BT do caller display free now, subject to certain conditions. See www.bt.com/btprivacy .
Recorded Message Calls - Welliesorter
I can't remember if it's an urban myth
but there have been stories about this resulting in the person
being called getting a premium rate charge?

It is an urban myth. See snopes.com and breakthechain.org for more on this.

I agree with your thoughts on companies that can't be bothered to talk to you personally.
Domestic water tap headworks torque - L'escargot
I've just replaced the 15mm headworks in a washbasin tap. In the absence of any instructions I tightened it into the tap body to 30 Nm (20 lb.ft). Is that OK? It felt about right. (And I greased the thread so it won't be as difficult as the original to get out the next time!)
--
L\'escargot.
Domestic water tap headworks torque - Altea Ego
There are only two types of Torque setting in plumbing.

Leaking and "just a nip past leaking"
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Domestic water tap headworks torque - L'escargot
There are only two types of Torque setting in plumbing.
Leaking and "just a nip past leaking"

What other reply could I expect from a 52 year-old who "fiddles with computer stuff for a living"? ;-)
--
L\'escargot.
Domestic water tap headworks torque - Altea Ego
And as it happens a damn fine plumber.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Domestic water tap headworks torque - Adam {P}
Did you ever manage to repair that U-bend you knackered RF?
Domestic water tap headworks torque - mjm
Steady, Adam, he might do the same to one of your dogs ---
Can O2 do this? - Another John H
We have three ancient pre-pay mobile phones which were originally bought from Cellnet, they continue to give good service.
They are not used terribly often, but sufficient to keep them active: I can't remember when I last put a 10UKP top-up in one.

O2 have decided that these phones (on their fixed tarrif) will "not be supported" from the end of this May.

I understand the phones will cease to work because O2 will disable, or bar them.

I suspect the reason is due to the top-ups not tallying with current pre-pay useage (25p minute for the first three minutes each day), as the calls between these phones when in the UK are always 5p a minute, billed by the penny, and O2 can't change the rates.

Can they just decide to disable the phones without recompense, because the rates which Cellnet set up don't suit them?

(I did try talking to customer service, but got nowhere.)
Can O2 do this? - Altea Ego
Indeed they can with sufficient notice - It will be in the small print on your original pre pay agreement (which you agreed to by default when you ripped open the simm envelope)
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
I suppose there are weasel words in there somewhere...

Thanks for the reply.
Can O2 do this? - Stuartli
I bought a Philips Savvy phone from Virgin on a PAYG basis in August 2000 purely for emergency purposes and if people wanted to contact me for any reason.

I've still around £2.40 left on the second £10 top up I acquired about three years ago; the credit is available on a Nokia 3310 that my duaghter gave me a couple of years ago.

To its credit, Virgin has always provided maximum help if I have had to contact it for support reasons, despite my miserly use of its mobile phone service.

However, SWMBO has a Samsung mobile which is connected to 02, again courtesy of my daughter (goes through mobiles like a dose of salt).

Although she has only used the mobile once or twice for calls, it eats top ups and seems to require them even for checking for any messages that have been left by those who haven't realised my offspirng has changed serrvice provider.

She is now on her third £10 top up in little more than 12 months.

Well, I have found the original "U" T&Cs which were in the sealed box with the phone and its already fitted SIMM, Copyright Telecom Securicor Cellular Radio Limited 9th November 1998.

What they are proposing to do isn't in there, but if O2 actually knew what they were doing there's a clause which would make the things uneconomic to run, so it's no good me waving the T&Cs at them.

Looks like I'm going to call it quits.
Central Heating - possibly airlock? - BobbyG
Apologies if this has been covered before but I have searched and not found anything.

I have an intermittant clunking noise coming from my central heating which is a Vokera Combi boiler linked to 7 radiators. How easy is it to rule out an air lock? I have tried the key in each radiator but water comes out straight away and to be honest, they all heat up without any cold patches.

I know I have a drain pipe for the heating adjacent to my back door so easily accessible. Should I try draining whole system and if so how do I do it? And do I run the risk of introducing more airlocks by doing this?
Central Heating - possibly airlock? - Altea Ego
Where is the clunking coming from? Boiler? radiator?
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Not sure RF, it appears to be coming from the pipe leaving the boiler but the noise is definitely coming from the upstairs of the house. I can sit downstairs and hear it coming from the ceiling area. When we were changing carpets I had lifted flooorboards to see if I could feel anything on the pipes that would indicate that they were hitting against anything but couldn't find anything. Its just like a pulse if that makes sense?
Central Heating - possibly airlock? - Altea Ego
Its heat expansion rubbing on something.

A pipe is rubbing on a floorboard, or a Radiator is rubbing on its hangers.
Try wd40 where the radiators hang on the wall fittings.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Will give that a try RF though I am certain that it is not a radiator as I have held and listened at each one and haven't been able to detect it.
Central Heating - possibly airlock? - adverse camber
You can get 'hammer' noises for lots of reasons. I have it this morning and have traced it to a failing valve in one of the toilets. It is spluttering rather than closing properly and the result is a thumping noise which echos through the pipes. At first I thought it was something outside, it was only when it stopped when I turned the kitchen tap on that I realised it was our house.

So anyway - I think RF/TVM has the most likely answer, but after that you might look at the various valves in the system - are they not closing properly? And also check that the pump doesnt have air in it - usually loosen the screw.
I would guess that a failed expansion vessel could give the same result (I dont have a clue what sort of boiler that is - combi/condensor/normal - which would obviously make a difference.)
Central Heating - possibly airlock? - adverse camber
Duh ! Sorry you say its a combi - In which case it could be a valve because you are presumably getting high pressure straight into the boiler ?
Mobile Phone mail order/internet co. - Hugo {P}
OK, there's one major internet based/mail order retailer that do cashbacks. You claim these by sending back the first page of your provider's bill. The money is supposed to reach your bank account within a few days of them receiving the claim.

Apparently they lauch these deals on the basis that most people will forget or not bother to claim on time. Obviously I have a sad life as I am now nearing the end of my second 2 contracts with them, and have so far met every deadline and received every cashback that I was due, not without a few recent problems concerning the current 2 contracts.

1 - one special delivery letter received by them but lost
2 - two claims (one per contract) in one envelope, only one was processed
3 - a claim incorrectly returned on the basis it was not valid, they say that it was confused with an earlier now discontinued contract.

1 and 3 were resolved with a phonecall, 2 had to be resoved by sending a copy of the following bill.

My question is, am I being overly paranoid that they know I'm diligent in this way, and have started to create extra barriers for me to overcome?

Or am I just on the receiving end of overworked admin staff and their resulting shortcomings?

Hugo
Mobile Phone mail order/internet co. - Altea Ego
I have seen similar comments on certain mobile phone providers who do money back deals at the end of contract.

As you say they are all based on the notion that people forget/cant be bothered/lost the bill scenarios when the time comes.

Those that are methodical and do take up the cash back offer are the minority.

The cynic in me tells me that *everyone* gets the admin problems and they probably have a set number of "problems" to invoke and make the process as fraught as possible.

These companies have forgotten one thing. Those customers that are carefull and methodical enought to be able to claim the cash back are the same customers who are dogged enough to pursue the claim to the bitter end when they start.

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Mobile Phone mail order/internet co. - BobbyG
In a similar vein, I bought SWMBO a new PAYG mobile for Xmas, and simply took the SIM card out and put her existing one in (both O2).

However, on reading the small print, I discovered that the new SIM had £2.50 credit on it and if this was not used up within 3 months, a further payment would be taken from my credit card!

So I had to put new SIM back in and phone another mobile until the credit ran out!
Mobile Phone mail order/internet co. - Welliesorter
However, on reading the small print, I discovered that the new
SIM had £2.50 credit on it and if this was not
used up within 3 months, a further payment would be taken
from my credit card!

This will be because the seller doesn't get their commission from the network for an (apparently) unused phone. For the same reason, Argos only allow one phone per customer: if someone buys a load of phones they're likely to be selling them on, possibly for use abroad.

Loads of discussion of the cashback deals in the forums at forums.moneysavingexpert.com/ .
Laisser Faire? - Alijazz
Hi,

We have a private driveway blah blah blah I know you can see what is coming.

There is a big hall next door with massive grounds and a large driveway. A newish person there has taken to cutting through a cut through that he shouldn't have, and walking his dogs to toilet them on our land. Ironically our own covenants prevent our doing this, but we don't have a dog anyway! We are going to plant a bush where the gap is - the gap is specifically protected in the covenants - ie it should always be kept filled in by us.

WE have been here a long time and most people in the village know it is private. Most people in the Hall know it is private too and would never dream of coming here. We have always approached anyone we find on it and point out that it is private. Normally we don't have to tell someone twice. But one man who lives in the hall next door is being very abusive and now has written a letter accusing us of aggression, threats and verbal abuse and is threatening legal action if we don;t let him walk there. This because we have asked him three times not to use the drive (we are constantly almost running him over in our cars) and not to let his dog expel excreta where our children need to walk. He is terrifying our little boy.

WE have done everything anyone could to resist adverse possession/prescriptive easements short of standing there all day long with a loud hailer. There are giant gates to our land with the names of the four properties here on them. Other residents in the hall occasionally sneak through - we see them waiting to see if the coast is clear and then run down the drive so fast that no one could catch them. It doesn't happen often. I would have thought this hardly the behaviour of someone openly trying to force an easement, but I may be wrong.

Sometimes, if we challenge someone, they actually run away. Most people just apologise, shrug, and turn back and we don't see them again.

We sound like ogres, but land is land, and if you could see our little drive compared to their own grounds, you would cry. It is pitifully unfair. Their own drive is only twenty yards from ours. It is laziness not need.

At times we have given licence to exceptional individuals to go down the drive for specific reasons - notably a little girl with cerebral palsy, but these were withdraw when people moved. No one needs any special consideration at the moment so we just want to seal up, put gates on the front and have done with it.

Do I go straight to a solicitor to resist him or is it worth speaking to the violent man first? I went to talk to his wife and she was defensive but ok. She seemed surprised to hear the history of the drive, and knew apparently nothing about the present easements and covenants that bind both properties. Is she mistaking the right to mend drains for the right to be a drain on us? Who knows.

In the letter something surprised me. It is very woolly and just generally says he thinks he has a right. The reason his wife gave was "laissez faire". I thought this was some antiquated right. Is it back in fashion? Does it take precedence over deeds? Over mututally binding covenants? Over mututally binding easements?

I am not sure whether we are registered or unregistered. My hubby and I bought the property from me and my former hubby as part of a divorce settlement. Lost yet? You will be. When it was all going through our solicitor gave us back ALL the original deeds to the house saying they weren't needed any more. They are beautiful documents going back centuries but the division of the land and the conversion of our stable block is clearly delineated from the Hall.

Does being given back our deeds mean we are registered? A transfer document was signed which no doubt is with the mortgage company. We aren't showing up on a normal search tonight.

Any similarly beleaguered land owners who can give me tips, please do. It would be much appreciated. Recently I read somewhere that things might have improved for landowners following some Act, and it is harder to adversely possess or establish an easement. What Act, and could that help?

Finally (sorry this is so long) does it make any difference if they are now trying to force an easement through aggression and vandalism. They are ruining some trees and being a nuisance basically (especially the dog poo!)? I was kidding - one more. Is there still a rule that full occupation and use by the landlord at the same time will defeat the claim?

What is the relevant time to run now? He has only lived there for two years and the lady before we gave licence to, which I would think might defeat his times. I can see why he is confused, but it doesn't excuse his behaviour. He is not interested in hearing why we believe we are right.

Who knows. Believe me I have suffered much injustice in the past, even when I have been completely in the right about things. I was once falsely accused of stealing molehills! Don't ask. At the moment I am thinking how dead I will be if he kills me on the drive one day and no one will really care then if I have great covenants or not. But surely that is the point. Does NOTHING operate to protect us from him short of calling the police? I don't want to let the neighbours get a right to wander around our drive just because they like it. That way chaos lies. Hey, I would prefer their grounds, but I wouldn't start having picnics there to force an easement. I don't want to go on their land. Not to put too fine a point on it - they're mean and nasty!

Please remember, he is being abusive to us and then claiming we are being abusive to him. This is very worrying. I am afraid to get proof of his outbursts in case he hits me. ANy suggestions?

Is this really a smart village in England? I never had any trouble as a young girl living in a crumby flat in a big city and I never felt in danger for a second!

Laisser faire anyone? Easements anyone? How to avoid being murderered anyone?

Thanks very much.

Alijazz
Laisser Faire? - adverse camber
A good site to ask on is www.gardenlaw.co.uk go into the forums and there is a Right of Way forum.

You can check your details (and theirs) as they are registered at the land registry www.landregisteronline.gov.uk/ for a minimal fee of £2. Which may be worth doing.

Other than that I would get your solicitor to review things and write to them. If he is bringing dogs onto your land and fouling then that sounds like trespass ? Im sure one of the legal bods will give you a better answer but have a look at gardenlaw in the meantime

Laisser Faire? - Stuartli
It sounds as though the use of the term Laisser faire is being misused if you read this definition - or a case of trying to blind with science:

www.answers.com/topic/laissez-faire
Laisser Faire? - Pezzer
Alijazz, cant comment on the legalities here but surely laisser faire is not a legal term but just the Anglicised French expression for Live and Let Live , and hence a Laisser Faire attitude.

Apologies if I'm teching Grandma to suck eggs.

PS this probably needs shifting to the bottom of the thread.

Laisser Faire? - Stuartli
>>Live and Let Live>>

Apparently it's French for Leave Alone.
Laisser Faire? - Dalglish
PS this probably needs shifting to the bottom of the thread.

>>

alijazz: request the mods to place your question in the correct position on the threaded view. as it is, it is likely to get missed by the legal eagles on here such as pugugly who might be able to give some pointers.

Dear Mods - Alijazz
Dear Mods,

Please could you move my thread to somewhere where Pugugly might see it. I have gone and done the wrong thread thing again. {Done - DD}

I need L plates.

PS adverse possession thingie... I just bought a copy of his deeds from the land registry and find that he is supposed to have planted two cypress hedges across two gaps and they should be always kept at 4 feet.

:)