What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I Have A Question Volume 118 - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 119 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PC's. They now go in another Thread.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 118. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18847

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.
modifying the kitchen stereo.. - Editor
Hiya. OK, full pass to get off-topic so I'll take advantage!

I want to modify my kitchen boom box so it can accept an additional input i.e. one from the headphone output of a cetain well known mp3 player. Where do I go to find such detailed info? I'm handy with an iron & can mostly read a circuit diagram etc.

The boom box is a digital radio cd combi; a Goodmans 1104 Microsystem.

Thanks all.
--
www.bayingbasset.com

modifying the kitchen stereo.. - Stuartli
If your Goodmans has a standard 3.5mm stereo jackplug socket why not just use a 3.5mm to 3.5mm jackplug lead (or similar size depending on the input sockets) such as these from:

tinyurl.com/qn2xd ?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
PS

I mean these: tinyurl.com/ly4zk not the 24k gold plated examples...:-)
Hello There!

Wish it did-no extra inputs at all, which is why I want to take it apart to see if I can introduce a 3.5mm socket somewhere in the signal path. Thank you.
--
www.bayingbasset.com

Ah well, I suppose you can't expect much more for £99.99...:-(
modifying the kitchen stereo.. - Martin Wall
Why not try one of the following instead:

shop.ipodworld.co.uk/iPodWorldSite/category/all_iP.../

I'm assuming you are based outside the UK in which case these will be legal :-)
nice try-but the kitchen box has a digital radio only. Thnak you
--
www.bayingbasset.com

Removing petrol from suede - romeo156
I spilt some petrol drops on my suede boots. There are approx 3 drops right in a visible place, but not removed by boot sudede cleaner. Any ideas?

Thanks
Simon
Removing petrol from suede - cheddar
I recently stopped to help a motorcyclist who had dropped his bike, I got engine oil on the nubuck leather of my shoes while trying to get the bike into neutral. It was quite a big patch of oil, following advice on here I stuffed the shoe with newspaper and soaked the area with white spirit, two applications of white spirit and there was no sign of the oil, I then gave both shoes a wash with soapy water which removed the white spirit smell and brought their respective colours in to line.
Removing petrol from suede - Editor
Good call re oil issue. For petrol I'd be a bit more gentle to start with. thing about petrol is that it has either cleaned the suede rather well, or has perhaps leached a bit of colour out of it. I'd suggest you make a lukewarm mild detergent solution in the washing up bowl ( I use a product called Snowflakes on my Timberlands-I think) brush it over all the suede with a firm brush, make clean lukewarm water solution & repeat the brushing action to rinse. Allow to dry naturally-NOT in the airing cupboard or on a radiator.

If it doesn't have any effect, try again but this time use Arial Colour washing powder. Weapon of last resort is the white spirit! Be very careful if you're boots are red or orange-these dyes are the least stable.

Good Luck!
--
www.bayingbasset.com

Exchanging new Harddrive. - mss1tw
I bought a hard drive from Scan.co.uk which needs to be returned. It is Western Digital drive.

I would like to swap it for a Maxtor drive as I have never had any problems with these.

However they are stating they will only offer replacement. I do not want another WD drive, as I also believe there is a slight incompatibility with the drive and the motherboard (Asus K8V-X SE)

I have had the drive under a year. Where do I stand legally? Can I insist on another make? Bearing in mind I do not want a refund and they still have my money, I do not understand why it's a problem...

{Question moved to correct part of thread, and retitled subject header as per the "PLEASE NOTE:" message at the top of this thread - DD}

Exchanging new Harddrive. - Altea Ego
Its a problem becuase the drive you bought was a western digital drive (and you knew it at the time of sale), was sourced from western digital, so you need your money back or another drive from the same maker.

Its like buying a VW and saying I dont want this swap it for a new Ford.

Actually WD are good drives, on par or better than maxtor.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Exchanging new Harddrive. - mss1tw
Would I be able to get my money back then? Or are they under no legal obligation to do so? I don't actually want to do that, but if that's the only way it can be done...

As for WD - I'll believe it when I see it! ;o) This one was kept in a cooled enclosure, run 24/7 (No strenous spinning up and down) and has been a PITA.

Compared to various Maxtors I have owned that ranged from normal/hard useage to plain old bad treatment, that never once failed.
Exchanging new Harddrive. - Stuartli
I have never had anything other than a WD HDD for at least five years - I always get the OEM version with the three year warranty (normally the model number ends with JB).

You may only get, for instance, a 60GB drive as against an 80GB with a year's warranty for the same price, but it's worth it for the peace of mind.

The one I have now was bought from Scan in 2003 and cost £66 - ironically a fortnight later the price remained the same but the capacity went up to 80GB...:-(

Strangely enough a price of about £60 to £65 has always proved the price point, whether over the years I was buying a 6.4, 20 or 60GB drive.

At one time you used to reckon on paying about £10 per GB - today you can get 160 to 200 GB drives for around the same price and it's pennies per GB...:-)
Exchanging new Harddrive. - David Horn
I've used Maxtors but found that they got increasingly noisy as they got older. Have an 80GB WD drive in my webserver that has clocked up 33000 hours continuous runtime to date, and it's still going fine. Can't comment on the noise situation as it's in Texas.

Scan are pretty good, remember that although your drive has gone kerput they need to get a replacement from WD. If you live near Bolton you could try pleading your case in person, they're pretty busy so may agree solely to get rid of you.
Advice on Cordless Drill - BobbyG
My current cordless drill, ahem, decided to jump off my workbench and land on the garage floor and has smashed the casing. It was pretty cheap , 18V and did most jobs ie screwdriver, wood drilling etc.

Saw a possible replacement in Woolworths today, half price down from £60 to £30. Its 24V, comes with a spare battery, has 2 bands of variable speed settings, and various bits etc. I am sure this will do what I am looking for it to do as mentioned above, but wondered if anyone had any similar suggestions for under £50? Cant remember the make of the one in Woolies but certainly wasn't a well known brand name.
Advice on Cordless Drill - Altea Ego
I bought a cheapish "unknown" brand cordless drill.

It barely had enough torque to pull the skin off a rice pudding!

Stick with a brand you know and its a one off purchase
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Advice on Cordless Drill - Hugo {P}
I can recommend these people...

www.screwfix.com

They do a reasonable 24v with 2 batteries for around £50, sometimes discounted to £40, as well as a number of other brands.

www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=19323&ts=7...7

I use a Ryobi twin pack 18v. In that you get a small drill driver, a larger twin variable speed drill that's more useful for drilling, tow batteries and a charger. You can get them for around £99. I've been very pleased wih mine.

H
RF, my current one was an unknown make and it has done the job for me, apart from not being shatterproof!
Advice on Cordless Drill - Simon (Anne\'s Other Half)
The Makro offer catalogue has just hit the mat.

Starting Wednesday 1st March, they have a NuTool 24V cordless drill with 2 batteries, keyless chuck, twin speed, hammer action and 12 drill bits for £20+vat. The best thing is a 3year guarantee.
If it burns out, you can get your money back!
They are running this in a dual offer with a corded 1100watt hammer drill for £15+vat. Get them both for £30+vat.

Ath this price they're practically disposable....
Advice on Cordless Drill - Civic8
>>The Makro offer catalogue has just hit the mat.

Dont you need a traders card to buy from Makro,I may be thinking of another firm but sounds the same?

--
Steve
Advice on Cordless Drill - Simon (Anne\'s Other Half)
Dont you need a traders card to buy from Makro,I may
be thinking of another firm but sounds the same?

No, you're thinking of the same place. You need to be a registered business or charity or community group to have a card.

If you can borrow a card, or ask someone to go for you, the deals are sometimes good.
Advice on Cordless Drill - David Horn
Don't forget all their prices are shown without VAT though.
Thanks for that Simon, I know someone who has a card, I will try and check it out - unfortunately website requires the card details to be entered before you can access the details.
Advice on Cordless Drill - Stuartli
As a Makro card holder I've found that it isn't always the cheapest place to buy goods...:-)
Advice on Cordless Drill - L'escargot
Above all else get a variable speed drill. B&Q have a good selection. I bought a "Performance" 14.4.volt jobbie. Hammer action, 12 torque torque settings, 2-speed gearbox, and forward/reverse. Drilling capacity is 5mm into wood, 4 mm into steel and brick. The only thing I don't like about it is the keyless chuck. It turns hexagonal bits OK but normal round drills tend to slip ~ in fact based on my experience of this one I would never buy a keyless chuck drill again.
--
L\'escargot.
Advice on Cordless Drill - artful dodger {P}
Hello BobbyG

I used to use a cheap cordless drills that cost about £40.00. The big downside for me was that they only had one battery and usually took 5 hours to recharge. Eventually when the battery failed, a replacement was as expensive as buying a new drill.

After chatting to some other prolific users of cordless drills, they all recommended DeWalt. So for £100 I obtained a much better tool. It was more powerful, had more torque settings, quick stop brake, has 2 batteries that recharged in only an hour with separate charger, and a tough carry case. Also any spare parts are readily available. By doubling your budget you will get better value.

Personally I would recommend you think about increasing your budget as you will not regret it.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
Thanks for all your replies and inputs guys. However, the decision was made for me when SWMBO came in with a Woolies bag and said proudly " I was in Woolies and they still had that drill you were looking at so I decided to treat you"

Isn't it annoying when they do that whilst you are still in research mode!

Anyway, its reduced from £60 to £30, 24V, 2 variable speeds (0-350 and 0-1000), 16 position torque control, accessories and case and spare battery.

I had already been to B&Q, the B&D retail shop etc and was busily looking through the Screwfix site!

But never mind, I am sure this will do the job, and its got a 5 year guarantee.

Thanks again for your suggestions.
Advice on Cordless Drill - d_j_burton
Definitely back up the RYOBI brand, just in case people re read this post. They are spot on, good prioce and that screwfix double pack (and argos) deal is superb. Best buy is the 18v hammer action one for about a ton.
Hotel near Salzburg - arnold2
Any ideas anyone ? Could be in Salzburg, but with all the celebrations for Mozart perhaps very booked !
Hotel near Salzburg - barchettaman
For when? The Mozart festival?
Christmas postage stamps - L'escargot
We have quite a few 1st class Christmas stamps left. How long are they valid for? Will they be OK next Christmas? They're marked "1st" so they don't have the price on them.
--
L\'escargot.
Christmas postage stamps - Duchess
They will be valid for as long as Royal Mail issue stamps marked "1st". Every year I find stamps bought the previous Christmas and left in the box with the unused cards. However be aware that when Royal Mail change to size based pricing (later this year?) you may have a problem.

Christmas postage stamps - Stuartli
As Duchess correctly points out the stamps will be valid as long as there are first and second class services (it also applies to stamps labelled just 2nd Class).

In fact SWMBO always buys in a largish stock of 1st and 2nd class stamps just before any price rises to save what adds up to a tidy sum overall.
Solar Water / Heating ? - adverse camber
So, Gas prices set to rise by another 25% or so. I'm giving serious consideration to solar panels or ground heat pumps, which I think will reduce my bills by £250/year (based on a couple of guestimates).

Electric solar is not cost effective, but water might be. Has anyone any experience of putting solar or ground heat in ? Esp in conjunction with one of these new heat store systems ?

I have found sonnenkraft, solartwin, navitron and viessmann. The evac tubes seem a much better bet than flat collectors.

Comments / suggestions / etc welcome.
Solar Water / Heating ? - Vin {P}
Be VERY careful. I suggest you take a look at the last article from the Sunday Telegraph at : www.telegraph.co.uk/jeff for a view on payback.

A friend of mine saved a fortune using home-made kit. No pumps, no alteration to his plumbing, just an old matt-black radiator in a double glazed (reused double glazing, not new) box. A pipe ran up to his hot water tank, spiralled round it and back down to the radiator. Convection circulated the water. Total cost nil (he "borrowed" the pipe). In summer, he gets near boiling water. In winter, hot water if it's sunny, warm water otherwise.

I'd do the same, but I don't have a hot water tank.

V
Solar Water / Heating ? - Cardew
There is no economic argument in favour of solar heating!

It is also a field in which many 'cowboys' operate. If you spend several thousands on a system you may produce hot water worth a couple of hundred or so pounds - at best. You need maintenance, special anti-freeze etc etc.

I would be wary of DIY systems. Don't forget if your water in the system is hotter than the water in the solar radiator you get a cooling effect ie, your hot water is cooled by the solar radiator.
Solar Water / Heating ? - mare
My long ago picked up limited knowledge of this tells me that you can use the solar panel to preheat the water before it hits the tank. Because the water is warmer, it takes less energy to heat it up.
Solar Water / Heating ? - Vin {P}
"Don't forget if your water in the system is hotter than the water in the solar radiator you get a cooling effect ie, your hot water is cooled by the solar radiator."

Not if the tank is being heated by convection-fed solar heated water, as described above. The coil around the tank is at the highest point in the circuit. If the water in there is warmer than the water in the radiator (lower down) then it simply won't circulate. That is one of the real beauties of the system. It only works if the tank water is cooler than the solar heated water.

No solar heating company could ever sell this system because it's too cheap, simple and lacking in sexy technology for most customers.

V
Solar Water / Heating ? - Simon (Anne\'s Other Half)
How does this work when most modern cylinders are covered in an inch thick of polystyrene insulation?
Solar Water / Heating ? - Mapmaker
Vin

How does your friend rig up the coil around his tank?
North West Crete - helicopter
I have booked a couple of weeks holiday near Chania - I have been to a number of Greek Islands but never Crete.

Any of you backroomers been there ? I will probably hire a car for one of the weeks so any recommendations on car hire companies and must see places, restaurants etc gratefully received.
North West Crete - cockle {P}
Stayed just outside Chania about three years ago at Kato Stalos. Things worth making an effort for are the beach at Elafonisi, fair drive IIRC about 2 1/2 hours but well worth it especially if you wait for the sunset. Boat trip around the Gramvoussa penisular was interesting with some good swimming stops.
If you like walking a trip out to one of the gorges is well worthwhile Samaria is the famous one but also gets very busy, less commercial and therefore quieter and for me more enjoyable was the Imbros gorge. About a four hour walk, wear good shoes and take plenty of water, it gets hot! These gorges were used by our troops to escape to the south coast for evacuation to Egypt at the end of the Battle for Crete, there are still some atrefacts lying around in the remoter areas.
If you are interested in WW2 the main battle took place along the coast to the west of Chania particularly around Maleme where there are several graveyards.
If you like good straight forward Cretan/Greek food then get out into some of the mountain village tavernas, excellent rabbit!
Not to be missed is the evening parade around the harbour at Chania, get there between 6-7 pm and grab a table by the harbour, as the evening falls all the locals seem to come out in their Sunday best for an evening walk around the harbour before dinner. Fascinating if you enjoy people watching.
Also try to make the market in Chania, everything from fresh oranges for pennies a carrier bags to fresh goats heads! Quite an eyeopening experience.
Good website to look at is www.interkriti.co.uk seems to get a lot of info from Cretans and expats.

I'm sure you'll love it, one of my favourite places to be.
North West Crete - borasport20
Went a few years ago, stayed somewhere to the west of Chania, but can't remember the name

Must agree with everything Cockle says. Plenty of history out there, and it is well worth reading up on the WWII invasion of Crete if that sort of thing interests you.

As for Samaria, look at www.mikes-walks.co.uk/Walks/Specials/Samaria/samar...l (plub, plug !). Just bear in mind that after we walked Samaria, SWMBO could hardly walk for two days - just had to stay by the beach, so if you are going to attempt it, make sure it's not the day before you fly back or anything like that.
hth

Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
North West Crete - helicopter
Thanks for the info cockle and borasport. I certainly love greek food and have spent many happy hours in restaurants on other Greek islands and am currently on a strict diet in preparation for a gastronomic blow out when we get there.

I do try and get off the beaten track and find places whee the locals eat and drink.

SWMBO and I will certainly look to be walking in the mountains and gorges and will take your advice about taking it easy - we both well remember a walk we took in Wales with helicopter jr.

Us two fast approaching 60 year olds expecting a gentle walk ended up at the top of Y Tryfan in Snowdonia - the sense of achievement was great but it took some days to get over the pain....
Fun (?) Run - borasport20
Supposing, just supposing, that this sedentary male, (just) the right side of 50 and more or less totally devoid of aerobic exercise, were to commit to running 3.106855961 miles, what would be a reasonable time ?

Any suggestions of other places to go and look ?

www.mikes-walks.co.uk
Fun (?) Run - Adam {P}
Mike,

Funny you should mention this as yesterday I decided to go out for a quick run to get rid of this beer belly. Whether it will last or not I don't know but I managed to get to the end of Holmes House Avenue! (Felt like I was dying though!)

Anyway - onto your question. When we were at school, at the start of every term we had to run 1.5 miles. Now my memory is a little sketchy but I seem to remember we managed it in around 11-15 minutes. Bear in mind we had to pace ourselves and were knackered after it! The more portly lads did it in about 17 -20 minutes from memory.

Well it's a start...
Fun (?) Run - andymc {P}
20 minutes to run a mile and a half? It only takes me 20 minutes to walk a mile. Huh, school run meant something different back then.

--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Fun (?) Run - Adam {P}
Like I said - the fat kids.
Fun (?) Run - andymc {P}
In fairness, I always hated the three mile slog around the playing fields that was the mandatory warm-up for PE (or as we well knew, a handy way for the PE teacher to ignore us for over half an hour). Never understood why I found it so hard to keep up, even with the fat kids, just thought I was unfit. Several years after leaving school I was diagnosed with asthma. No such thing as free medical treatment where I grew up, visits to the doctor were expensive. Ah well, a brilliant career as a long distance runner could have been mine ....
Mike, in preparation for the run I would try to get in shape a bit by going for some long walks as briskly as you can manage. Apparently using a couple of walking sticks like ski poles really helps to improve aerobic fitness. (t.i.c. mode on//) This site www.mikes-walks.co.uk/ might help. (t.i.c. mode off//)
--
andymc
(t.i.c. mode on//) This site www.mikes-walks.co.uk/ might help. (t.i.c. mode
off//)
--
andymc

Very good site- I recommend it highly, but I can assure you that its owner avoids aerobic exercise with a fervour that is almost religious. As for walking poles, I do possess some, and they have their uses, but having seen plenty of people using them on the flat and indeed on the street in Austria the other year (Wellness Walking, they call it, and have special little power wedges on the end of the poles), they don't half make you look a right divvy !
I find that the minute I change from walking to running, or even jogging, my heart rate shoots up to a point that is well above what it should be, and I don't think that does me any good. Will take some advice next time I'm in the gym

www.mikes-walks.co.uk
Fun (?) Run - Altea Ego
>Huh, school run meant something different back then.

indeed it did, 5 woodbine as soon as school out of sight normally

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Fun (?) Run - Stuartli
>>It only takes me 20 minutes to walk a mile.>>

As long as that...:-)

Average walking speed is four mph and I walk the four-fifths of a mile from my home to the club for a pint(!) of Guinness in around 10-12 minutes - what's more my three score and 10 is not all that many years away.....
Fun (?) Run - andymc {P}
Everywhere I walk is uphill though. Leastways, it feels like that ...
--
andymc
Fun (?) Run - blue_haddock
I've never understood the principle of a 'fun' run!

But if a fit athelete can do a mile in 4 minutes i'd go for somewhere between 20 and 25 minutes at a steady jog.
Fun (?) Run - Pugugly {P}
If you need to go a mile anywhere you go by car. That's what this site is all about.
Fun (?) Run - No FM2R
Presuming the idea was to run the distance rather than win a race, presuimng that you do not smoke and are not overweight or troubled by any specific issues, then you would walk it in 50 minutes.

Therefore I would guess around 30 - 35 minutes would be a reasonable estimate.

However, you should be doing a couple of stiff walks over a 1.2 -2 mile ish distance beforehand to prepare yourself. And then do pace yourself; if you go off as fast as you can at the beginning, then you will die after 1 mile and not finish. You shoudl run about 60% of the speed that you feel you could do at the beginning - which is likely to be 100% of what you can manage by the end.
Fun (?) Run - No FM2R
All IMHO, of course.
Cheers, Mark. Stiff Walking could be my middle names, and even at this time of year and present weather conditions it's not unknown for ne to come home from work, chuck a rucksack on for a bit of weight, and go walk a four mile circuit, usually a few minutes over the hour.

If I go to the gym, the only way I can get my heart rate into the cardio zone is to walk, briskly, with the treadmill at the maximum gradient - If I try to jog or run, my heart rate goes up to 160 or more, which I suspect is well above what it should be.

I suspect I need to ask somebody at the gym

www.mikes-walks.co.uk
Fun (?) Run - RichardW
IIRC Max heartrate should not exceed 220 - age in years. There are 2 bands, one for fitness, and one for weight loss, which are something like 60-70% and 70-80% of max rate. Can't remember which is which though, but I have an idea it appears the 'wrong' way around and fitness is the lower band.

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Richard - I seem to remember (will check later today), that on the machines in my gym, for a bloke of my age, the 'fat burn' range is something like 109-125 and the cardio is 125-145.

I know if i plug in my age/weight for the fat burn is sets me a target of 113 or thereabouts and 135 for cardio

www.mikes-walks.co.uk
Fun (?) Run - David Horn
220 - age is, broadly speaking, rubbish. Provided that this isn't the first exercise you've had in years, you should be able to tell exactly what your limit is as you can work perfectly well up to it, and then a bit over you practically drop from exhaustion.

I'm 20 and have regularly had my heart at 220+ when on the bike. (According to my trusty Lidl HRM, anyway!)
Fun (?) Run - cheddar
220 minus age is what I have been told by cardiologists, I have been through a couple of rounds of cardiac tests (no heart problem fortunately though a lung condition dignosed) which included Bruce protocol exercise tests, walking and running on an ever steepening treadmill, they only let your heart rate get to 220 minus your age which the first time around was 181 for me.
Fun (?) Run - drbe
Nobody has asked, so I suppose I must.

What is the point of 3miles 564yards, or have I completely missed the point?
Don

it's a 5 k fun run, but im only going to do 3.whatever miles, as my legs are calibrated in imperial

www.mikes-walks.co.uk
DV camcorder battery draining - cheddar
Hello,

I have a JVC DV camcorder bought just after Christmas, it has not had much use yet, I charged the battery fully when it was new, I turned it on a couple of weeks ago and the battery indicator showed approx half full which fitted with the amount of use it had had. However I turned it on this AM to take a few minutes of the kids in the snow and it was dead. Plugging it into the charger enabled it to spring to life so it is clearly the battery and not another problem.

Is it normal for the battery to drain when not in use? I do not get this with my Canon digital camera which has a similar battery and similar funtionality re charging etc.

Thanks.
DV camcorder battery draining - BobbyG
Cheddar, the battery in my video camera does the exact same.

Where in the country are you, hope the snow is good! I am fed up hearing of the worst winter ever, and Britain is going to be gripped in Arctic conditions this week - and then I look out the window and its glorious sunshine here in Lanarkshire!

Have even resorted to logging onto the cameras on the Scottish traffic website just to see the snow up North!

www.trafficscotland.org/

DV camcorder battery draining - cheddar
Somerset, pretty much all gone now.

How about if you remove the battery, does it then retain the charge?

Thanks.
DV camcorder battery draining - R75
Somerset, pretty much all gone now.
How about if you remove the battery, does it then retain
the charge?
Thanks.

Nope - Our JVC battery drains after a couple of weeks without use - either in or out of the camera. Seems to be an effect of Li batteries, our mobile phones have the same problem too.
DV camcorder battery draining - Editor
leaving the batt in the camcorder will indeed gradually drain it as the device draws a smal amount even when off. Leaving the battery out will greatly prolong the time it will hold its charge. BTW it is really imprtant to allow just about any rechargeable batt to fully discharge & then fully recharge it to get the maximum lifespan out of it. Thanks for the reminder-just going to go & dig the batt of my own camcorder!
--
www.bayingbasset.com

DV camcorder battery draining - Stuartli
>>to fully discharge & then fully recharge it >>

This point doesn't apply to NiMH type batteries as they have no "memory" points - they can be fully recharged from whatever level of charge is still remaining.

In any case most people don't have the facility to fully discharge batteries unless they have a battery charger with the feature.
DV camcorder battery draining - Altea Ego
NiMh batteries DO exhibit some memory effects, tho nowhere near as pronounced as previous chemistry.

The NiMh has a pronounced number of cycles (for example 500 or 1000 discharge/recharge cycles) whereafter electrically it drops off a cliff.

NiMh is not the battery panacea some people think it is.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
DV camcorder battery draining - Stuartli
I'm still using some NiCad rechargeables from the early 1990s - they've been recharged hundreds and hundreds of time..:-)

But the NiMH are saved for the power hungry items such as my digital camera.
DV camcorder battery draining - R75
leaving the batt in the camcorder will indeed gradually drain it
as the device draws a smal amount even when off. Leaving
the battery out will greatly prolong the time it will hold
its charge. BTW it is really imprtant to allow just about
any rechargeable batt to fully discharge & then fully recharge it
to get the maximum lifespan out of it. Thanks for the
reminder-just going to go & dig the batt of my own
camcorder!

Not correct for Lithium Polymer batteries that are now more common. They prefer to be topped up little and often -and running them down completley is actually bad for them - many PDA's and Phones die because people run them right down. They also prefer a 60-70% charge if not being used for any length of time - rather then being fully charged up.
Freeview in the Cotswolds - SjB {P}
Currently living in Aylesbury with an HP19 postcode, my wife and I receive excellent Freeview coverage; 10/10 signal strength and quality for both receivers in the house.

Having just enjoyed the delights of "the red button" for extended Olympics coverage - specifically live ice hockey - not available on analogue TV, we are reluctant to do without it.

However...

We are in the process of Cotswold househunting in a Witney / Straford Upon Avon / Burford triangle and have five properties to view tomorrow. All have GL54, GL56 or CV3n postcodes but plugging them in to the service availability engine at www.freeview.co.uk shows none of them to likely (I know the engine is not exact) receive coverage.

Where can I learn the Freeview strategy for increasing coverage, please? A Google revealed nowt of substance or true commitment.

Perhaps one for Mark!
Freeview in the Cotswolds - Stargazer {P}
SjB

I am currently about 8 miles north of Witney. As you probably know, quite hilly terrain, so this far over we are subject to the signal strength of the Oxford transmitter.

None of the small relays used to infill behind hills and valleys have digital relays (or even Ch5 in most cases). So we are all awaiting 2011 when our area has its analogue signal turned off.

I dont know how they are going to resolve the signal strength problem, perhaps by increasing power from main transmitters, or ungrading the relays to handle digital.

Some houses get tolerable digital signal by being on a hill top and using a high gain ariel and amplifier, but I would require a 10m high mast on top of the house!

Look for the DTG group

www.dtg.org.uk/

who publish information about the switchover process.

cheers

StarGazer
Freeview in the Cotswolds - Stuartli
The same website provides transmitter coverage and other important details as well:

www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/transmitters.html
Thanks Guys.
Most useful.

On the subject of "infilling" valleys; I know the problem all too well because my parents are in the Cotswolds too, surrounded by hills at close range. Their relay is not only devoid of C5 but gives distinctly grainy coverage of the other four analogue channels too, despite a high gain professionally installed antenna.

Regarding analague switchoff the thought did cross my mind that "use a satellite service" might be imposed on the topographically difficult and expensive (in terms of infrastructure for low population) regions that remain uncovered by DTT.

At one time I thought the same too for ADSL but finally - finally! - my folks now have a BT broadband service.
Freeview in the Cotswolds - Citroënian {P}
Aargh...We moved two miles down the valley and can no longer get freeview. I've subscribed to Sky but would much prefer a HD freeview box to the Sky+ we've got, not least because the former is free month to month.

www.digitalswitchover.tv/pc.pl

Is a very good site listing your options, and it looks like ours is Sky. Does anyone have a link to planned upgrading of transmitters? I think our relay one needs to be sorted - apologies if it's on the dtv site, I couldn't find it with a quick hunt around.

Cheers

Lee -- Without bills, magazines and junk mail, there is no mail
Freeview in the Cotswolds - David Horn
If you cancel your Sky subscription, does the Sky+ box still record the free channels?
Freeview in the Cotswolds - Stuartli
Sky normally charges £150 as a one off for receiving a number of TV and radio channels FOC.

However, we've had a leaflet delivered today (not that I'm taking advantage of it) from Sky offering a range of channel choices and the option to drop payment for a month or more at a time if you are on holiday etc.

Apart from the fact that you pay £4 a month extra for this "privilege", not many people would want to knock off the service for a month unless they are retired and staying abroad during the worst of the winter months....

But you can still receive the "free" channels even if you don't pay/temporarily stop the normal monthly subscription for the service.
Freeview in the Cotswolds - Citroënian {P}
If you've already got a skybox and viewing card, you can get the free to air stuff and some free to view stuff. But not More4 so no Daily Show with Jon Stewart, which is free on freeview. Grrrrr. I think the £150 also gets you a dish and standard installation if you've not already got a dish.

Sky+ itself would cost £10 a month, without other subscriptions so in a year, the same cost as a HD freeview box.

That wolf thing site is really rubbish....Is that the correct link?

Lee -- Without bills, magazines and junk mail, there is no mail
Dont think much of that site, wolfbane and dtg are much better, for instance it lists sky as my only option, when I know that I can just about get the BBC multiplex but not the commercial multiplex (it squeezes more channels and hence poorer S/N).

www.wolfbane.com/

StarGazer
Freeview in the Cotswolds - Phil I
>just about get the bbc multiplex:

Do you find the weather conditions affect the S/N ratio?..

Phil I
>just about get the bbc multiplex:
Do you find the weather conditions affect the S/N ratio?..
Phil I

Sorry!

Didnt keep the borrowed box! Until the switchover and upgrading of relays no point.

SG
Just back home after looking at six houses one of which (the only one we remain interested in though not for this reason!) the Freeview postcode checker advises "will likely receive the service along with switchover". So, at least there's some hope and it is on the top of a major hill so probably realistic.

It's a fabulous house - with the ADSL service that's a prerequisite for my working from home - and the surrounding area seems terrific with tranquility, beauty, and good transport links (train and car) in equal measure; we're currently wondering why it's therefore a good 40k below what we expected but that's another issue!

Thanks for the Freeview help.
Freeview in the Cotswolds - No FM2R
>>"will likely receive the service along with switchover".

That's good. Just in time for the 2012 Grand Prix then.
>>"will likely receive the service along with switchover".
That's good. Just in time for the 2012 Grand Prix then.

I thought it was 2011, but anyway!
My point was at least there is a small amount of hope rather than none!
Freeview in the Cotswolds - No FM2R
Probably more than you think - IPTV and MobileTV will be in quite different phases by then.
Thanks for the comments, Mark.

I had discounted IPTV on the basis that the house we are interested in has only very recently received broadband - and then only 512kb versus the 2MB I currently have with my proximity to the exchange. Of course things change and BT for example are on the brink of improving performance up to 8MB for those living near enough to exchanges, but I don't hold out hope for a tiny Cotswold community to be high up the agenda.

I discounted MobileTV on the basis that I assumed it would only apply to cellphone handsets and never be used as a domestic TV carrier (because of bandwidth to carry acceptable picture quality on a big screen).

Looks like we will have little choice but to do without our Sony Freeview receiver and Panasonic Freeview receiver/HDD recorder and go satellite in the interim.
re-shaping a woollen car coat? - Editor
One for the domestic Gods(esses)

I've what was once a lovely (& expensive)pure wollen car type coat that needs a final bit of TLC. It's clean, de-dog haired & de-bobbled. But it hangs on me like a shapeless thing. Any ideas how I could kind of make it reshape? BTW right off dry cleaners-applied the hoover nosel to it & you wouldn't believe the amount of dust that came out...eughhh.
--
www.bayingbasset.com

re-shaping a woollen car coat? - bell boy
wife says cant be done..........sorry
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
0870/Geographical phone numbers - Petel
I hear that there were moves to legislate, to make companies using 0870/0845 contact numbers, issue a geographical number as well. Can anyone please advise the current status in this situation?
Thank you.
0870/Geographical phone numbers - SjB {P}
I don't know of anything myself but would imagine any such news would be posted at www.saynoto0870.co.uk/.
0870/Geographical phone numbers - Armitage Shanks {p}
I can totally recommend saynoto0870 - the other day I spent 36 minutes on a computer firm's helpline on a Freephone number I found on 0870 site. It would have cost me 8p a minute on an 0870 otherwise. As a general rule, anyone you might have to contact from abroad (lost credit card etc), has an 0044 number on the back of the card and this will work within UK if you replace the 0044 with 0
0870/Geographical phone numbers - R75
Not that I was aware of, I use an 0845 as my business line and have not been told that I need a geographic number as well. But I do think 0870 should have to have a geographic number as they are a pain and people make money from them!!! (I could have got one and been paid 2ppm) where as my 0845 number costs me, but the caller does get a better deal, generally!!
0870/Geographical phone numbers - Armitage Shanks {p}
You don't need a geographic number but stroppy people like me, who pay £10 a month and make as many 01 and 02 prefix calls for that fee, don't like paying even 1p a minute to ring anything else if there is a geographic alternative available!
0870/Geographical phone numbers - Stuartli
>>who pay £10 a month>>

As much as that...:-)

Plenty of offers (combined especially with BB) for £4 a month.