What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I Have A Question Volume 114 - Dynamic Dave

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 115 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PC's. They now go in another Thread.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 114. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18847

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.
Steam Generator Irons - Cardew
Does anyone have any knowledge of these devices.

I have seen models advertised like the Tefal 2941 steam generator iron which costs about £230.

The ones I have seen seem to be big irons with a huge external tank that looks capable of generating enough steam to drive the QE2's turbines.

What are the advantages over a 'Rolls Royce' conventional steam iron costing 20% of the price?
Steam Generator Irons - PhilW
What's a steam iron?
--
Phil
Steam Generator Irons - Onetap
I've got a Tefal one, which gets a lot of use.
Advantages; It seems to have a big stainless steel boiler type bit and the limescale deposits seem to flush out when you rinse it out, as recommended in the instructions. These deposits seem to have had a major role in the demise of all the conventional irons I've owned before (yes, I did descale them occasionally), but seem to have a negligible effect on the big static boiler. I have access to a deionized water plant, but don't bother using it for the iron, tap water (hard) is fine. It holds about a litre of water and produces a lot of steam.

Disadvantages. Costs more, much bigger, more complex. The braided covering on the flexible hose has failed. The flexible hose seems to be a weak point, judging from comments on a DIY forum.

I'd recommend one for anyone doing more than a couple of hours ironing per week.
Steam Generator Irons - Wally Zebon
Why bother with anything fancy when you can get a conventional iron from Tesco's for under £5
OK, it may not last for ever, but when it fails, you go and spend another £5!
Steam Generator Irons - Stuartli
>>but when it fails, you go and spend another £5!>>

But you get what you pay for.

My missus swears by a £20 Kenwood iron which, she says, is the most comfortable and efficient iron she's own over many years.

That replaced an expensive Bosch digitally controlled iron which she never really liked despite all the gizmos.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Steam Generator Irons - Rebecca {P}
You can also get tefal (and other brand) steam generators for £50. I've got one (since Christmas).

Some friends swear they make ironing a lot quicker, I'm not sure about that, but they definitely make 'difficult' items much easier to iron, and you can get away with doing only one side of a t-shirt. I prefer it to a conventional steam iron.

The downside is that some can take up to 8 minutes to build up their steam ready to use (or you can use them without steam) so they aren't so good for doing one item in a hurry. Also they are big/cumbersome which is why mine is permanently out in the spare room.
Steam Generator Irons - Altea Ego
NO

NOT POSSIBLE

HOW did your significant other get away with buying you an iron for xmas?
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
>>HOW did your significant other get away with buying you an iron for xmas?>>

That's pure assumption...:-)

PS

I once bought my missus a set of pans for Christmas....:-)
What's for you won't pass you by
Steam Generator Irons - Altea Ego
Pans? Xmas?

Stuartli - the suprising thing is that I am not. Suprised that is.

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
>>Stuartli - the suprising thing is that I am not. Suprised that is.>>

The reason was due to the fact that I do most of the cooking - my missus had a stroke 12 years ago and has considerable difficulty with her balance and co-ordination.

Not very safe over a cooking area with hot fat, pans etc...:-)

The missus prepares the ingredients and I cook them.
Steam Generator Irons - smokie
"I once bought my missus a set of pans for Christmas"

So did I.

Just once, and learnt the lesson...
Steam Generator Irons - Cardew
and you can get away with doing only one
side of a t-shirt.

I can get away with even more with a t-shirt.
Steam Generator Irons - BazzaBear {P}
But you get what you pay for.
My missus swears by a £20 Kenwood iron which, she says,
is the most comfortable and efficient iron she's own over many
years.
That replaced an expensive Bosch digitally controlled iron which she never
really liked despite all the gizmos.

Did you not just completely contradict yourself?
Steam Generator Irons - Mapmaker
Downsides: take 10 minutes to heat up, bulky.

Upside: generates much more steam than a hand-held iron, so your ironing is faster. If you buy an iron in France they always tell you the steam output (in g min -1 ) to enable easy comparison between irons.

If I had the space, and was sufficiently organised to do all my ironing in advance I'd have one like a shot. They are very pricey, although I've seen them for about £50-£60, possibly in ASDA, but cannot comment on the brand. They're about £100 + a bit ish in France, about half the price of most of the ones I've seen here.
Steam Generator Irons - daveyjp
If you buy an iron in
France they always tell you the steam output (in g min -1 )
to enable easy comparison between irons.

No need for a journey to France, Argos include this info!
>>Did you not just completely contradict yourself?>>

In which way?

The Kenwood's light weight and overall balance proves better for her than the Bosch, which proved a little too heavy for her for longer periods of ironing.

She did like the fact that the Bosch accurately maintained the set temperature and its overall efficiency.

As I pointed out in another posting, my wife had a stroke 13 years ago, so such seemingly small points are of more concern to her.

Skiing in Austria, 1st week of April ... - arnold2
Our annual ski holiday got delayed this year from Feb - anyone recommend anywhere with reasonable skiing in Austria in the 1st week of April ?
Skiing in Austria, 1st week of April ... - cockle {P}
Would suggest that at that time of the season, last three or four weeks, to be sure of reasonable skiing you would have to think of the higher altitude resorts. Obergurgl is high and has reasonable access to the glacier at Solden, Schladming is nearish to the Grossglockner. On the other hand some of the lower areas such as Soll have invested very heavily in snow cannons to cover a large percentage of their piste areas and prolong their seasons. Personally haven't skied that late so can't give a definitive recommendation but have been to Schladming in the first week of May for a walking holiday the temperatures were in the 70's and the lower slopes were very green!
Is Hell exothermic or endothermic? - artful dodger {P}
The following question was supposedly given on a chemistry degree exam paper.

?Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)? Support your answer with proof.?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle?s Law (gas cools off when it expands and heats up when it is compressed) or some variant.

One student, however, wrote the following:
?First we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So, we need to know the rate souls are moving into hell and the rate they are leaving. I think we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving.
As for how many souls are entering Hell, lets look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Some of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there are more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more that one religion, we can project that all people and all souls go to Hell.
With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle?s Law states that in order for temperature and the pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand as souls are added. This gives two possibilities:
1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.
2. Of course, if Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.
So which is it?
If we accept the postulate given to me by Miss Theresa Banyan during my first year, that ?it will be a cold night in Hell before I sleep with you?, and take account the fact that I still have not succeeded in that area, then (2) cannot be true, and so Hell must be exothermic.?

This student got the only A.
What do you think?

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
Is Hell exothermic or endothermic? - NowWheels
I think I've seen this one before ... but I also hope that he is wrong about all souls going to hell. I really don't want my time in the warm place to be disrupted by the addition of the tedious god-botherers who think they are going somewhere else. The idea of coralling the lot of them together clear of the rest of us has always seemed to me to be a mutually-satisfactory arrangement. :)
Is Hell exothermic or endothermic? - Altea Ego
Well Adam and I will be burning up and down Angel Boulevard and doing doughnuts outside the Palatial Pearly Gates in our "growly V6's"
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Is Hell exothermic or endothermic? - NowWheels
Well Adam and I will be burning up and down Angel
Boulevard and doing doughnuts outside the Palatial Pearly Gates in our
"growly V6's"

Why not crash the gates and give the inmates something to liven up their days? After a few centuries of sitting around on clouds drinking nectar and listening to harpists, they'll be bored senseless.
Is Hell exothermic or endothermic? - Robin
Obviously a hoax. No way would a Chemistry Degree exam define endo- and exothermic reactions (I know standards are slipping but really!)
Is Hell exothermic or endothermic? - Adam {P}
I tell ya - you make one comment - ONE comment and it haunts you for the rest of your life.

I sincerely hope I do end up in heaven somewhere along the line where I might even upgrade to a nice growly V8 and have a bit of fun.

On a similar note, I was told by a good friend who deals with University admissions and the like that on some sort of Philosophy exam there was a question which read,

"This is a question. Answer it."

Loads of people wrote about the history of the question and the question mark and all associated rubbish whilst one student simply wrote (and I think you can guess)

"This is an answer. Mark it"

He got seventy something percent.

Of course, I've no idea if it's true. I'd like to believe it is for both the fun side of it but also wondering what the hell you needed to have done to get an A!!!

P.S. - RF naturally would join me up there. I'd need someone else who appreciates the fine growl of V engines and what driving really means!

Is Hell exothermic or endothermic? - Baskerville
>but also wondering what the hell you needed to have done to get an A!!!

At most universities 70% or more is an "A," or rather a 1st and always has been. I know some are marking out of 20 now, but the percentages are the same.

Years ago when I worked at a university in London I set a question "What is poetry?" All the answers were boring.

Your example sounds like it's from an entrance exam, by the way.
I wouldn't know about percentages that high Baskerville - I'm certainly not achieving them at the minute!

Could well have been an entrance exam. I wonder what would have got 90+ percent though.
Is Hell exothermic or endothermic? - Citroënian {P}
In a similar vein, I came across these in an article I found in The Times Online (I haven't posted the weblink as it's a rival to The Telegraph) : They're questions given to prospective undergrads :-

How do you define baldness? (Interview for experimental psychology, Oxford)

Why don?t plants have brains? (Veterinary Science, Cambridge)

Is the Eurovision Song Contest an example of living nationalism? (History and Politics, Oxford)

Do you see me like a camera? (History of Art, Cambridge)

Could there still be a Second Coming if mankind had disappeared from the planet? (Theology, Cambridge)

Would a good liar make a good lawyer? (Law, Cambridge)

Tell me about a banana (Medicine, Cambridge)

When is it acceptable for writing to be boring? (French and Russian, Oxford)

--Lee .. Welcome to Anytown USA
Is Hell exothermic or endothermic? - L'escargot
I would deduct marks for having failed with Miss Banyan.
--
L\'escargot.
Is Hell exothermic or endothermic? - deepwith
"This is the perfect answer. Mark it." ?
Google Earth measure tool accuracy - maz64
Has anyone used the Google Earth measure tool and compared the results with a known distance?

Just wondering how accurate it is - some of the routes I run are coming out shorter than I thought...

John
Google Earth measure tool accuracy - Wally Zebon
Its quite accurate.

I measured a ship and came up 3 metres short of its actual length.
You have to be very accurate with your start and end points though.
Attending Malaysian F1 GP - SjB {P}
Mods - Not posted in the F1 thread as this is a question.

My interest in F1 has waned in recent years, but with a business meeting in KL on March 20th, and ticket prices being so much cheaper than for the British GP, I've decided that going to the Malaysian race on Sunday 19th is worth a punt.

Have any other BRers been to this round before, please, and if so are there any "tricks or treats" to be aware of or take advantage of?

TVM
Attending Malaysian F1 GP - Altea Ego
None except to say

You Lucky Lucky B

I assume you have been to Malaysia before?

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
When I signed off with "TVM" I didn't realise TVM would reply!

Yes, I am indeed a lucky guy, especially as the timing happened by pure good chance. When I tried to move a meeting in Shanghai by a few days last year to coincide with that GP, I didn't succeed! I'm in Shanghai for three days on the way home from KL though, so if I enjoy the Malaysian race as much as I hope, will see what "opportunities" exist for this year.

Yes, I have been to KL before, thanks, though not the GP. The last time was in 1998 (leaving just before the new airport opened) and before that many times between 1967 and 1970 when as a wee lad I lived in Singapore.
Attending Malaysian F1 GP - Altea Ego
The only thing to mention then is the Indonesian forest burning which takes place about that time of year and makes the already "interesting" KL air even more so.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Thanks for that; I look forwards to the forest burning up the road before then leaving for another city with "interesting" air!
Attending Malaysian F1 GP - Jim M
Sepang is out by the new airport KLIA, but not walkable - distance and heat. If hotel in town book a hotel car or take very good rail link. Airport taxi's / Limos are not good at all SWMBO had bad scare when in airport limo (tired driver bad brakes) Last time we went to GP we used hotel (Regent) car to take and pick us up - it worked a treat when leaving we called his mobile and he talked us back to car. I am going this year it will be my first time out of Vietnam since last April, never mind interesting air, just different air would be great.
Jim
Thanks Jim M. My hosts are taking care of the hotel booking (I don't know which one it is yet) and have also offered to sort out GP arrangements; I'll suggest the "driver and mobile phone" option as it sounds perfect!
I should have added, Jim M, that I hope you enjoy the race in particular and your escape from captivity in general!
Attending Malaysian F1 GP - daveyjp
A colleague went two years ago (IIRC for the first GP race there). He really enjoyed it - very relaxed around the circuit and getting in to the pit area after the race was very easy. As mentioned the race circuit is near the airport which is about an hour from KL centre, depending on traffic.
To conclude the thread; looks like I'm sorted. Turns out my host is also a motorsport enthusiast keen to go, so he'll collect me and a Swedish colleague from our hotel and drive us to KL international airport. He'll park his car there and we'll take a shuttle to the Sepang circuit. No pre-bookable parking appears to be left at the circuit itself.

Our seats are grandstand start finish straight, so hopefully we'll be dry(ish) if the heavens open and we won't cook as much as we would in the open if they don't.
Advice needed re Optician - Rebecca {P}
My high street optician is refusing to give me a copy of my contact lens prescription claiming it is illegal for them to do so. I assume this is nonsense. They are happy to give me my 'normal' prescription, but contact lens ones are different as they include the recommended and fitted brand of lens and the lens powers are also different. At the time of my appointment I paid £30 for the contact lens sight test/fitting.

I know all the details, but my new contact lens provider (internet based) needs a signed dated copy in order to dispense my lenses.

I suppose I could write and demand a copy under the Data Protection Act as the info is held on computer - is that the case?

What else can I do, and can anyone point me to any law/regulation that I can come at them with to get this info?
Advice needed re Optician - Stuartli
I have a mate who makes up most of the lenses and frames supplied by local opticians and my wife takes her prescriptions to him.

It would appear to be exactly the same method for acquiring contact lenses prescriptions judging by such websites as:

tinyurl.com/ad2x2

tinyurl.com/a5p9a

paler.com/contact_lenses.html

There are many other similar websites.
Advice needed re Optician - Rebecca {P}
Thanks Stuart, but I can't see the answer to my question on those links - am I missing something obvious?! Wouldn't be the first time!

I thought that just as you are entitled to take your glasses presecription to any dispensing optician (including online services etc) so you should be entitled to have a copy of your own contact lens prescription - that has been paid for as part of a sight test and contact lens fitting. If I had a copy of mine, I could fax it to the supplier of my choice. My problem is getting them to give me the prescription.

I have found, and am reading through, some regulations from June 2005 that may or may not be good enough to wave in the face of my opticians, but I'd still be grateful for any more help.
Advice needed re Optician - Stuartli
The answer is in the very first link under the X-head Why?
Advice needed re Optician - Pezzer
Rebecca, I dont need to provide this info when I order my daily disposables on-line, you just need to provide the lens info. Happy to share the site URL if interested.

Cheers P
Neighbour/Fence responsibility - lordy
According to the deeds of my house, all boundaries are shared. A few years ago, i had a major falling out with my neighbour over an extension I proposed to build (retired couple, volunteers for Citizen's Advice Bureau, friend to local councillors, no interest in a compromise etc, you get the picture). After a long fight against neighbours, planners and an appeal to the Welsh Assembly, we were granted planning permission for the original plans. Before we offically 'fell out' my neighbours asked (bizarrly IMHO) if he could have responsibility for the fence between us. Naturally, I agreed.

Last week we had a bad storm, and a high wind blew out one of the fence panels between us, destroying it. Our neighbours are away on holiday, due back any time. I would have quite happily bought another panel and slotted in and forgot about it, BUT, my neighbour has attached trellis to the fence, which is still attached to the remains of it, meaning touching his property to replace it. This I am not inclined to do.

My question is, is a verbal agreement to give him responsibility of the fence enough for me to wash my hands of it and leave it to him (this I AM inclined to do) despite what the deeds state?

Incidentally, nothing has ever given me more smug self satisfaction, than reading the Welsh Assembly report dismissing all the arguments against my extension as a monumental waste of time and money!
--
let me be the last to let you down....
Neighbour/Fence responsibility - Altea Ego
This of course has allowed your herd of rare welsh pigs ( those bought the day before the fence fell down) to escape into your neigbours garden and rummage and root around.....

Oh Dear, if only he had maintained "his" fence properly
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Neighbour/Fence responsibility - lordy
The fence is so badly damaged, it looks like someone crashed a Laguna into it. :D
--
let me be the last to let you down....
Neighbour/Fence responsibility - artful dodger {P}
My wife read from Saturday's Telegraph Property Section a similar situation relating to fences. If someone has responsiblity for a fence there is no legal requirement to provide a fence or maintain it. If your neighbour does not maintain it, all you can do is to build a new fence on your side of the boundary. But in your situation your deeds says it is joint.

Take a couple of photographs showing the damage as a record of the original damage. Then I would advise you push the existing fence panel back into his garden, with his trellis still attached, doing the least amount of damage. Then replace the fence panel to repair the fence. He cannot complain as you have maintained the fence as per your legal responsibility as per the deeds. You will also have probably avoided having to deal with your neighbour about this matter.

If he complains about your actions then you have your legal responsibility of the deeds on your side as he was away. You could point out a lack of maintainance caused the fence to fail and therefore you did not damage his plants or trellis (even though they may have been a contributing factor in bringing the fence down). Finally you could also ask for half of the cost - this should either shut him up or show him you are no longer spiteful over past differences.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
Neighbour/Fence responsibility - cheddar
Good advice from Roger.

I reckon a shared boundary is beneficial, the worst case is that you pay all the cost for a new fence where as if it is the other parties responsibility you should not attend to the fence itself so if the other party neglects it, as Roger says, all you can do is put a new one up within your side of the boundary and effectively lose 6 to 12" of your land.
Neighbour/Fence responsibility - Stuartli
We had a similar situation when new neighbours moved in next door about 20 years ago.

The small wooden fence between our gardens had been there for many years but, although his wife was very pleasant, the husband proved somewhat aloof; it turned out he had come from a rather snooty southern background.

One day he asked my wife if we would share the cost of a new fence and she initially agreed as the orginal was looking the worst for wear and some of it was missing.

However, I decided to query the type and cost of the fence before agreeing to share the cost - it turned out the new neighbour, without even asking what we would like, had decided to put up a series of six foot plus high concrete posts with six foot wooden panels slotted in between. "I like my privacy," he informed me.

I immediately informed him that, as the orignal fence was the party line, he would have to build his new fence (unwanted by either my wife or myself) on the other side of the line at his own expense (I told him I wasn't prepared to pay for his "privacy" desire) and that the original fence was to remain.

He reluctantly agreed and although it was somewhat difficult for him to put up the new fence as the old fence was in the way in parts, the job was completed. My wife was very angry at the loss of part of the view from the back kitchen, but calmed down a bit when I pointed out she had orginally agreed to pay half the cost..:-)

The sequel to this story is that a couple of years ago we again had new neighbours (by this time the husband had left his wife for a new model).

As a lot of the wooden panels were in poor condition by now, I gently pointed out the story as outlined above to them and added that they would have to replace any panels at their own expense.

To their credit, they accepted without quibble and, in fact, replaced all the panels that were in poor condition. I helped with taking out the old ones and slotting in the replacement panels.

The new neighbours are completely different to the previous occupiers and are pleasant and friendly without trying to impose themselves on you. We even got a bottle of wine and a card at Christmas from them.

I should also point out that sometime after the first husband had left his wife, we paid for a new, similar fence in the front garden, but this time a more traditional 3ft version, as she was struggling a little financially after being left to cope alone.

However, this all pales into insignificance compared to the true neighbour from Hell in the other semi-detached alongside who has been a constant source of problems and headaches for the last 10 to 15 years......

Samsung SF6800 Fax Machine - Nsar
Does anyone know how to adjust the volume on these things? Ours has taken to loud bleeping and ringing. No manual on Samsung website and helpline les than useless. Have tried googling for model + manual and found nothing. BR, I need your help!
Samsung SF6800 Fax Machine - Stuartli
Samsung lists the model on its website:

tinyurl.com/cz7ao

but any attempt to find the manual download draws a blank - which is presumably the same experience you had.

Why not try the Contact Us link?
Here's fax machines' FAQs, but don't know if they will help much:

tinyurl.com/dv8sn
Samsung SF6800 Fax Machine - Happy Blue!
I've found it - I think.

Go to tinyurl.com/8gwey

or alternatively the samsung website and support and search on 6800 not SF6800
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
No wonder I couldn't find the manual download - you've described it as a fax machine, not an All-in-One printer...:-)

Even the model number failed to find it or just using 6800 as Espada III {P} suggests.
It is a fax not an all-in-one
But the link that Espada provides lists the model as a Multi Function Printer...:-)
Definitely just a fax! Honest
Getting oil off, or out of, leather - cheddar
I stopped to assist a guy who had come off his bike the other day, he was fine, I felt sorry for him because the road conditions were attrocious which was, I think, attributable to a nearby business, not going to go into details in case it goes legal.

However the bike had dropped its oil, being a biker I used my left foot to see if it was in neutral before it was pushed off the road, upon getting home I found oil on my nubuck leather shoes, any ideas how to remove it.

Thanks.
Getting oil off, or out of, leather - buzbee
Eventually you may need a solvent of some sort and a leather expert may be the best person to say which one. But first use white kitchen roll paper to extract as much of the oil as possible.

Use paper on both sides of the leather. Inside the shoe have it wrapped round something hard so you can press the leather from the outside (squeeze it) using more paper. Keep moving to fresh clean paper. You will be surprised how much will come out.

Next you may need a suitable solvent and a pencil paint brush to put something on to thin the oil and then repeat the process.

The ideal solvent is one that will vaporise and is not vicious enough to attack the shoe colour. Some sort of wax polish may be needed afterwards so that the leather does not dry out. And don't over-do the solvent.

Ideally practise the solvent bit using an old shoe.

Getting oil off, or out of, leather - cheddar
Thanks Buzbee!
Getting oil off, or out of, leather - sierraman
When using solvent for cleaning I find brake cleaner is the least viscious,cellulose thinners melts most plastics.Isopropyl alcohol works well too.
Hi-fi amplifier - Brill {P}
I have a decent (separates) hi-fi system, but the amplifier has packed up.

I really only use the CD player through it, and drive 4 Celestion speakers.

I have been offered a Yamaha DSP-E492 Processor/Amplifier, but I believe this is usually used for home cinema surround sound.

Same as this:
www.arcticcorsair.f9.co.uk/audio/kit/yamaha-dsp_e4...l

I'm just wondering if I'd be able to use it as a hi-fi separate, in place of my broken amp. or would it still need a normal hi-fi amp to drive the speakers (ie. it would be useless as I may as well just get a new amp instead).

What confuses me is the word 'amplifier' in the product name, looking at an on-line manual, it seems to run the speakers to the Yamaha 'via' a standard hi-fi amp.

Thanks.
Hi-fi amplifier - bell boy
it has an amplifier but as it says it is to drive the rear speakers in a home 5.1 set up.
This unit is basically a tone controller and sound splitter (DOLBY PROLOGIC) you do need an amp to drive your celestions,if they are ditton 44"s i suggest you get rid of one pair and let me know where you live as the only ones i can find near them for sound quality are spendors at £1800 and i will get rid of them for you (no charge obviously)
If you log onto someone like richersounds they do some terrific end of line deals for amplifiers/receivers.
--
\"a little man in a big world/\"
Hi-fi amplifier - Stuartli
>>If you log onto someone like richersounds they do some terrific end of line deals for amplifiers/receivers.>>

Thoroughly support such advice - Richer Sounds has been serving up hi-fi based and other bargains for many years now. Website is at:

ws1.richersounds.com/splashpage.php

It's very likely it has a store near you.

PS

One of its current offers is this Cambridge amp - a cracking marque:

tinyurl.com/9akwx
What's for you won't pass you by
Hi-fi amplifier - Brill {P}
So I still need a new amp, and the Yamaha is useless to me is that right?

Thanks...oh heck! Anyone need the Yamaha I've just bought online thinking it was an amp! You live and learn...

I know what you mean about the Celestions, fabulous sound.

Having bought the wretched thing, how simple would it be to set up as a home cinema sound system...It need 5 speakers right? The back panel looks a wiring nightmare.
Hi-fi amplifier - Civic8
>>how simple would it be to set up as a home cinema sound system...It need 5 speakers right? The back panel looks a wiring nightmare.

easy peasy,just follow the directions in the instruction manual.
May look a nightmare but they are not,once set up as you need they are great!
--
Steve
Hi-fi amplifier - David Horn
Ebay it. Alternatively, if you're just giving it away.... ;)
Hi-fi amplifier - adverse camber
Do I remember correctly that Cambridge went bust and were bought from the receivers by richer sounds ?

Certainly I have never seen their stuff anywhere but in Richer Sounds for years.

But the CD1 and its followers were at one point considered the best in the world.
Hi-fi amplifier - cockle {P}
Bang on, mark99. See below, but they still seem to get pretty reasonable reviews in most of the hi-fi mags so can't be too shabby.
Personally I've used NAD kit for years and always been happy but ears are just like taste buds, some drink real ale, others prefer lager.

Cambridge Audio
Originally founded in 1968 in Cambridgeshire, UK. Best known for making a line of quality but reasonably priced integrated amplifiers (nicknamed "student amps") in the 70's and early 80's with some of their early models being underrated in the current S/H market due to the brands current use by a budget hi-fi provider, but the company also manufactured tuners and loudspeakers in the same time period. The company went for CD technology in a big way in the 80's and was one of the first smaller audio companies to introduce players that were actually designed more or less in-house rather than offering tweaked Philips or Sony designs, Cambridge Audio was for instance the first company to offer a CD player with an oversampling DAC and the first company to offer a separate CD transport and DAC. The company went bankrupt in 1990 and the name was bough by Audio Partnership.

Audio Partnership PLC
Daughter company of UK based audio retail chain Richer Sounds (Grey sidebar) and operates primarily as it's sourcing operation although some of their products are designed in the UK or have design input from there (Primarily Opus, MS and CA). AP has bought a lot of brandnames from bankrupt, ailing or deceased British Hi-Fi companies such as Audio Innovations that they use for mid/high end lifestyle systems/separates, Cambridge Audio is the audiophile electronics brand of the company, Gale (low end loudspeakers), Mordaunt-Short (mid-end "audiophile" loudspeakers) and TDL but has also some new ones such as Aural Envelope, Fusion (consumer audio and AV equipment), Opus (Multiroom systems), Synergy (Semi-pro DJ and PA equipment) and Visual Innovations. The company also owns the Ariston Acoustics brand but products with that label appear to be made for Richer Sounds exclusivly.
Hi-fi amplifier - Stuartli
>>Personally I've used NAD kit for years and always been happy>>

My NAD 7030 tuner/amplifier is still going strong even though it is now 27 years old - it's one of the original Japanese manufactured products rather than the later Taiwanese offerings.

Might only be 30 watts per channel but it will drive virtually any speakers you connect to it from two Ohms upwards and 60 watt output transistors provide a +3Db margin of safety for transient overloads.

I've still got my Audiomaster speakers hitched up to the tuner/amp and I'd have to spead quite a bit to better the sound quality.
Hi-fi amplifier - steveincornwall
Must agree on the NAD front,my 7130 reciever is still giving good service biwired to Mission 780 SE's(only 20 years old though!)The 30 watts per channel sounds modest but I've only had it up to half volume once and that was way too loud. I often wonder when I see ridiculous high watts figures quoted for car hi-fi if they use a different scale to NAD.
Hi-fi amplifier - cheddar
The Yamaha will drive two of you hifi speakers with no problems and should sound fine, Yamaha have a great name in AV and hifi.

Depending on the rating of the amp v speakers and with the addition of a subwoofer from Richer sounds you could even use you existing speakers to set up a 5 channel surround sound system, assuming you have a DVD player and/or digi box? Then DVD and digi TV would be 5 channel surround and 2 channel CD would be through one pair of speakers or simulated 5 channel if you wish.
Hi-fi amplifier - BB
Just to add to this subject, you can use the Yamaha 5.1 to drive your front speakers only. I believe that the Yamaha that you have got has two pairs of speaker connections for the front, one pair for the centre, one pair for the rear right and one pair for the rear left.

If this is the case, then just set your surround mode to off and use just as a normal amp.

Just because it is 5.1 pro-logic, it doesn't mean that you can't use just the normal front speakers to play your music on. In fact, that is what it is designed for.
Login names, passwords and PINs - L'escargot
Is it safe to use the same login name, password or PIN for more than one company?
--
L\'escargot.
Login names, passwords and PINs - Altea Ego
Yes - its very similar to having what called in the computer trade as "single sign on"

However

1/ It has to be a trully random
2/ It must never be written down anywhere as if discovered - everything gets broken

TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Login names, passwords and PINs - Mapmaker
No it most certainly is not. The safety of your password is only as good as the encryption system of the company with whom your account is.

Either Mark or ND once told us that the BR has NO encryption system whatsoever. If one of those companies has no encryption then one of their employees in an idle moment may find your name & password & start trying it on other 'so-called secure' sites.

Be warned also that some websites are particularly prone to phishing. eBay for instance. One hears stories of even the most sophisticated eBayers being phished and losing their password. If your eBay password happens to be the same as your paypal password then you might be in for serious financial penalties.

So, no. Not ever. Of course, I have the same password for the BR, for The Telegraph, for The Times and for other non-important places I visit. But each place where I can lose money (Amazon, eBay, paypal) or emails (Hotmail, AOL) has a different p/word.

Login names, passwords and PINs - NVH
Mapmaker,I agree.
Level 1 - disposable password, eg where you have to register on a site
Level 2 - regular sites like HJ, telegraph - information sources
Level 3 - any site with access to financial info - airlines,
ferries
Level 4 - household accounts - BT, utilities,ISP etc
Level 5 - bank accounts & credit cards ( ideally PW 10 characters or more)

I also keep separate e-mail accounts for Level 3 to 5
Hope Mono Mini disc brakes - David Horn
I'm sure by now you're all aware of my continual saga with the brakes on my mountain bike. The rear hydraulic disc brake has suddenly stopped working, just like tha'.

Locking the rear wheel now requires immense effort, and other braking force is practically non-existant. I've tried bleeding the brakes (inexpertly, I admit) but gained no improvement. A huge bubble did come out, but it might be because the person I was relying on to top up the reservoir let it run dry.

I've tried whipping the rotor off and leaving it to sit in some neat degreaser (FS-10), which hasn't made any difference. Is there a chance I've got something greasy on the pads? I have a spare set but am loathe to fit them as the ones in are practically new, and cost 15 quid.

On a similar note, the front pads are wearing unevenly. I've no idea what's causing this as I thought the system was self-adjusting for pad wear. One piston is further extended than the other, which is to compensate for the uneven wear.

Any ideas, or should I hand it to my local shop with a blank cheque?

Cheers,

David.
Hope Mono Mini disc brakes - cheddar
I have never been convinced that disc brakes offer any benefit in respect of power or feel over good conventional rim cantelever brakes in any pedal cycle application.
Hope Mono Mini disc brakes - Phil I
I do not think there is any substantial difference in braking capability between any of the better brakes on the market today. None of which come near the old original Resilion Cantilever alas no longer available. Where the disc scores over rim brakes is the dissipation of heat. If you have ever had a tyre on a racing tandem collapse due to heat from the rim when descending a mountain pass you would vote for disc brake every time. Rim brakes also shred the rim quite rapidly leaving a very very thin wall:-((

Phil I
Hope Mono Mini disc brakes - Mapmaker
I bet you used to laugh at pre-war bikes with solid rods between your handlebars & the brake pads. No longer. They work until they rust through - giving them a maintenance-free design life of about 100 years.

;)
How do I... - David Horn
...get fit again in 4 days? Been off the bike for two weeks through a combination of a nasty cold and sheer laziness. Out today, and could not believe how unfit I'd become. I ended up granny gearing it back, much to the amusement of the people I was riding with.

This is all well and good - but I'm supposed to be riding in a group ride at Kirroughtree next Saturday, and I'm woefully unfit. I'm absolutely knackered today.

Can anyone who has experience in this please tell me what I should be eating over the next few days and how much exercise I should try to get, without doing further damage or leaving me too tired to ride on Saturday?

Thanks very much,

David.

[Hobbles off to stick plasters on various cuts and grazes from when he went over the handlebars. Getting disc brakes faced makes it a lot easier to lock the front wheel on steep downhills!]
How do I... - Stuartli
>>a nasty cold >>

It's unusual to hear of keen cyclists suffering from a cold.

I know I never did as a teenager when my job as a journalist took me out in all weathers on the "North Road" type handlebars, full chain case Raleigh I owned for several years.
How do I... - Happy Blue!
I swim several times a week. Over a period of a few weeks, I can build up stamina to do a metric mile (1500m) in about 32 minutes (I am 41, 5'7" and overweight!) but the weight comes off and I tone up after a while.

I think that swimming gets all your joints moving more easily, especially after a few days not exercising. I certainly feel the benefit if I swim for a few days, stop for a few days and start again. I feel instantly more alive and brimming with energy, even if I have just done 1500m.

Just done 1500m this morning after four days out of the pool and feel just great!

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
How do I... - David Horn
It was the first week of lectures after university restarted after Christmas. Everyone exchanges their own particular varient of the cold virus. :)
How do I... - Phil I
>get fit again in 4 days.
No chance. You need to start again. A few easy paced rides over two to three weeks before you start hammering again. This is the wrong time of the year unless you nip off to Lanzarote where the weather is warmer..
ps. Try not touching the brakes on steep downhills - you never win any events that way :-)

Phil I
How do I... - Pugugly {P}
Dunno, aerobic stuff I would say, I have some labouring work going (shifting stones for a 400m stone wall that's being rebuilt) if you're interested. Me ? 46 and a bit, 34 to 36" waist. Put a bit of weight on over the festive period now in no eat no gain mode. Blood Pressure spot on apparantly. Never suffer colds - had two days off in the last 6 years in work through illness - probably drop dead the day after I retire (3yrs and 9 months to go if paln A comes off).
How do I... - Dalglish
how much exercise I should try to get, without doing further
damage .....

david horn - strongly advise you speak to your doctor.

why? - because even strong and fit sportsmen have been known to have had their heart muscles weakened/damaged by a cold/flu virus to an extent that they have been killed on returning to aerobic exercise.

www.health24.com/medical/Condition_centres/777-792...p
Tip: Do not exercise if you have flu! It may lead to paralysis of the heart muscle. You should generally not exercise for at least seven days after recovering from the flu, after which you gradually return to exercise.

so take care.

How do I... - David Horn
Thankfully it was only a snotty cold with a bit of a cough thrown in, but sufficient to make me want to stay in the warm that day. Fortunately, I think flu has the effect of making you want to avoid exercise for a sufficient time that you're safe to start again. Thanks for your concern. :-)

PS - still alive, fortunately.
How do I... - Stuartli
A proper dose of flu will lay you low for quite some time.
How do I... - Altea Ego
A snotty cold and a cough is your bodies way of telling you that you are taking too much exercise.

Its calling for bacon butties, armchair television and beer
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
How do I... - Adam {P}
RF's spot on. I always sit in the chair watching telly downing beer and eating bacon butties...

...not a sniffle.
"mighty white" bread - tyro
Is Sunblest "Mighty White" bread still available? (My wife tells me that she can't seem to find any.)
"mighty white" bread - Chicken Madras
I've just googled and checked out sainsburys online and can't find any. This is a shame as I used to eat loads of it when I was growing up and you mentioning it now has got me in the mood for some!
"mighty white" bread - Stuartli
Allied Bakeries still uses the Sunblest brand name. See:

tinyurl.com/c7ldz

Kingsmill is probably its biggest brand name, so presumably any outlets selling these bread products may also stock Sunblest.
"mighty white" bread - Stuartli
From what I can gather, Kingsmill is now the main brand name in bread etc and Sunblest is listed under:

"Sunblest bakery snacks and Burgen bread for health conscious adults."

Certainly Kingsmill Soft White is very popular in our household...:-)
"mighty white" bread - buzbee
Mighty White is not available. I asked when Tesco stopped stocking it. I manage with Hovis 'Best of Both' now. If you find better, let me know.