What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I Have A Question Volume 107 - Hugo {P}

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 108 *****

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PC's. They now go in another Thread.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 107. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18847

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.
Central heating generating no hot water. - Mapmaker
... carried on from IHAQ 106.

Having taken out the instruction manual and gone through the fault flow chart - to no avail, I then switched the electrics off and opened the cover for a look.

On switching the electrics back on, it sprang into life & I am off for a bath!

If in doubt, reboot - it works for swanky modern mobile phones that aren't receiving calls, too!
The Rudeness of Anne Robinson - Cardew
I often watch the last 10 minutes of so of ?Weakest Link? before the 6pm news. I like quiz shows but not particularly the format of this show.

Anyway tonight switched on at the beginning in time to watch Ms Robinson attacking a young, rather plump, girl; this after similar snide remarks to an older lady about her age. Her remarks were pointed and unbelievably rude. They concluded with ?so you are overweight, don?t exercise and you haven?t got a boyfriend? ? at which point I switched off the TV.

I find it incredible that a seasoned TV professional is allowed to humiliate nervous guests in such a manner, no humour, subtlety, just sheer rudeness ? no doubt she will be in line to be a Dame some time soon.

Am I alone in my opinion?
The Rudeness of Anne Robinson - Adam {P}
Sadly yes.

I can't stand the woman but the people know full well what the format of the show is like and that they're likely to get berated by a so called TV presenter.

Whilst I agree with your sentiments in general, I'm of the opinion that you forfeit your right for my sympathy the moment you decide to go on a quiz show.

Sorry to sound harsh - I just don't feel well.
Sadly yes.
I can't stand the woman but the people know full well
what the format of the show is like and that they're
likely to get berated by a so called TV presenter.
Whilst I agree with your sentiments in general, I'm of the
opinion that you forfeit your right for my sympathy the moment
you decide to go on a quiz show.
Sorry to sound harsh - I just don't feel well.

Adam,
The purpose of my post was not to express sympathy for the 'fat, unattractive, and unfit' young girl or for that matter the lady who committed the cardinal sin of being old.

The programme purports to entertain the public and AR's stern unsmiling demeanour is an accepted part of the format; her off-stage personality is irrelevant. However I fail to see what is any way entertaining or clever in openly insulting guests about their physical attributes. I had my daughters watching the programme and both were squirming with embarrassment.

This is a programme that goes out before 6pm, let alone the 9pm watershed, and no doubt has masses of children watching. What a fine example of adult behaviour!

I would hate to sound like a male version of Barbara Whitehouse because humour, however crude, is in no way offensive to me; however gratuitous rudeness is!

C
The Rudeness of Anne Robinson - Adam {P}
It's a testament to you that you've brought your daughters up that way C but an awful lot children now are the complete opposite and are probably like that whether they watch The Weakest Link or now.

I did miss your point little (a lot!) though. It isn't funny or entertaining television but that's me - thankfully I don't seem to watch much T.V. nowadays so am spared from the 95% of rubbish that is frequently aired. (Of which The Weakest Link makes up a substantial portion).

The Rudeness of Anne Robinson - Avant
"I would hate to sound like a male version of Barbara Whitehouse because humour, however crude, is in no way offensive to me; however gratuitous rudeness is!"

The mind boggles - a wonderful combination of Barbara (SIT!) Woodhouse and Mary (Write to the BBC) Whitehouse - far more forceful than Anne R could ever be! I agree with others that she's just being paid to be like that - that's what viewers turn on for, and they'd be disappointed if she wasn't rude.

Similarly if Paxman became a pussycat no-one would watch.
The Rudeness of Anne Robinson - Xileno {P}
My cousin has done work for her. She's actually an extremely nice woman, the rudeness is exaggerated for the TV.
The Rudeness of Anne Robinson - Clanger
I'm Not one of AR's fans.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
The Rudeness of Anne Robinson - Civic8
Your opinion does not pay the wages,but AR is paid for getting viewers,The attitude gets these.TBH if had those wage packets I would be as rude as well,Most people accept its part of the game now so would be hard to accept anyone else doing the program-rude or not Ann gets the viewers,
--
Steve
The Rudeness of Anne Robinson - AlastairW
I actually know someone who has been on the Weakest Link (she was voted off fifth). Apparently ALL of Anne Robinsons riposts and verbal barbs are scripted and on autocue so it is the writer that needs to be blamed.
Anyone with Annes opinion of the Welsh can't be all bad ;)
The Rudeness of Anne Robinson - smokie
...and the foreign formats of the show have presenters with a very similar attitude (even very similar looks in some cases). I also saw Millionaire in Germany and the set looked identical to me, as did the mannerisms of the presenter etc etc.
The Rudeness of Anne Robinson - L'escargot
I wouldn't mind so much if the contestants were allowed to retalitate to an equal extent, and their retaliation (unedited) was broadcast. That might take her down a peg or two.
--
L\'escargot.
The Rudeness of Anne Robinson - Stuartli
...and the foreign formats of the show have presenters with a
very similar attitude (even very similar looks in some cases). I
also saw Millionaire in Germany and the set looked identical to
me, as did the mannerisms of the presenter etc etc.

That's because when Celador grant a licence to TV production companies from other countries to produce the show, they have to present it in the original format with, perhaps, one or two minor adjustments to suit particular circumstances.

It is, in effect, a franchise just like Hi-Q, National, McDonalds, Little Chef etc - you know exactly what you are going to get, the prices and the overall standards in whatever part of the country you live and, in many cases, other parts of the world.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Nokia 3310 - ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond
Anyone know how I unlock a old nokia 3310 mobile phone?
Nokia 3310 - Pugugly {P}
www.trycktill.com/eng/unlock_swe.asp

Go here, don't be scared off by the Sweedish language pages. Easily done. It does list a Nokia 331O.

Oh it does work by the way.
Nokia 3310 - Pugugly {P}
"Sweedish" Blinking sticky keeeys.
Nokia 3310 - Dynamic Dave
Go here, don't be scared off by the Sweedish language pages.

That can be sorted by clicking on the small round Union Jack flag where it says "choose your language"
Nokia 3310 - Pugugly {P}
doh !
Nokia 3310 - ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond
Thanks for the help and offers.

All done. The site works great.

Cheers :-)
Nokia 3310 - kennybase
or Email me (through the mods) with the IMEI number and I'll email you back the code that *should* unlock it for you.

I'm going away today from about 1500, but I'll be back Boxing day.

Happy Christmas :-)
Nokia 3310 - Stuartli
I have a 3310 which was gifted to me by my daughter. She was with O2 and I'm with Virgin; all I had to do was swap over the Sim card from my own Philips Savvy.
Nokia 3310 - Pugugly {P}
Wasn't the Savvy a Cellnet (02) brand anyway ?
Nokia 3310 - Adam {P}
It was made by Phillips wasn't it?

Was that the one with an analogue clock displayed on the screen?
Nokia 3310 - Altea Ego
The savvy was a philips phone, and wot a pile of trash it was.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Nokia 3310 - Pugugly {P}
Steady on RF, I drove over one of these and it still worked well enough to hand it in to our Admin dept for a new one when the contract came to an end !

Rubbish signal though before and after the wheel crunching.

Wouldn't be seen dead with one now though and I am not a fashion victim.
Nokia 3310 - Adam {P}
I remember at the time, they were the coolest thing ever.

Mind you...I must have been in Year 8. That's about 1997/8.
Nokia 3310 - Pugugly {P}
Not far wrong Adam, The phone crunching wheel was on a 97 BMW Met.Green 325 petrol !

Lovely car that too, superbly smooth engine, progressive non computer aided handling, best gearbox of any Beemer I've owned (there goes the rear end again)....cue misty eyed nostalgia.
Nokia 3310 - Nsar
Calling mobile experts....I have an old Nokia and a tailor made car kit for that model but I use a different hand set now (XDAII). I'm on O2 who tell me they cannot supply a duplicate SIM so that I could use the old Nokia in the car and the XDA as my carry about. I believe Vodafone allow you a 2nd SIM but life is too short to switch netwrok just for this and switching SIM from handset to handset every time I go somewhere also is too much of pain.

If I rang O2 and said I had dropped my phone into a bottomless pit of burning oil so could you please send me a new SIM, would both work or would they cancel the old PIN?
Nokia 3310 - Pugugly {P}
First thing don't call them on your mobile ! They'll block the old card on assumes. I lost my work mobile mid-year, a new sim was issued, my old phone was blocked for the few days inbetween. I don't think you'd be able to use both. They know you know.
Nokia 3310 - Altea Ego
Easy peasy lemon squeezy

Get a PAYG sim for your nokia, and when in the car auto divert all calls from xda to car nokia!
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Nokia 3310 - Dynamic Dave
If I rang O2 and said I had dropped my phone
into a bottomless pit of burning oil so could you please
send me a new SIM, would both work or would they
cancel the old PIN?

The old SIM card would be cancelled. Each SIM has a unique serial No. You mobile number is assigned to that one and only SIM card.

PIN No. is irrelevant as that is something that can be changed via the handset.

TVM's suggestion sounds good. BUT with call divert you'll be paying for the call as well as the person calling you.
Turkey Overdose - Adam {P}
What would happen if say, you ate more food than your stomach would hold?

I only ask because I think that's what's happened to me.

Thanks for any help in this matter,

Adam
Turkey Overdose - David Horn
I think you only need to worry if you hear a sort of muffled pop.
That's reassuring.

Thanks David.
Turkey Overdose - Stuartli
>>I only ask because I think that's what's happened to me.>>

Didn't know you'd entered the Wigan pie eating contest?
Pie's are childsplay now. I've successfully beaten everyone when it comes to pie eating.

Turkey's the way forward.

Thanks for everyone's advice in this matter.
Turkey Overdose - henry k
What would happen if say, you ate more food than your
stomach would hold?

A bit of a fowl up?
Booo.

Go on - get your coat. It's cold outside.
Turkey Overdose - sierraman
What would happen if say, you ate more food than your
stomach would hold?
Thanks for any help in this matter,
Adam
Have you never seen the Monty Python film 'The Meaning of Life'?There is a graphic portrayal of Mr.Creosote eating too much,one wafeer thin mint too much.....
Buying freehold of a leasehold property - Mapmaker
A property was bought some 35 years ago - new build, leasehold. Deeds are held

In 2002 a small sum was paid in order to redeem the rent charge on the property and a certificate is held to confirm this. I understand (but may be wrong) that this transferred the freehold to the former leaseholder.

Following the death of the owner, the title of the property is to be transferred to his wife.

Will the freehold be registered electronically at the Land Registry?

Or in transferring the property is it necessary to submit the Certificate & the Leasehold deeds?

Many thanks
Buying freehold of a leasehold property - mare
If it was transferred in 2002, then i would have thought that it would show up. You could do a search on the LR site.
Sorry, I should have said. The LR site shows up as 'no details available.'
Buying freehold of a leasehold property - Pugugly {P}
Try a traditional LR Search.
>Try a traditional LR Search

Which is?

I presume that in redeeming the rent charges that there has been a marriage of the leasehold & freehold - is this so?

Have the original leasehold deeds been superseded?
Buying freehold of a leasehold property - Happy Blue!
MM

I think you are mistaking a few things...

Leasehold property has ground rent; freehold property 'may' have a rent charge (quite rare).

Rent charges all expire in 2037.

You can buy out the ground rent of a lease without necessarily converting the leasehold to freehold, so if the lease commenced 25 years ago at £25pa the rent may no longer be paid, but the lease may continue. If the lessee buys the freehold, only then will the lease terminate.

Go online to HM land registry and search the post code for both freehold and leasehold property. You may find that the land registry hasn't reaslied that the leasehold and freehold are owned by the same party.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Thanks, Espada.

There is nothing on the LR website - but then the late owner of the property never registered it, nor the buying out of the freehold.

Somewhere on the 'net I discovered that the crucial word in the buying out of the ground rent was 'redeem'. This word apparently confirms that the freehold has been transferred.

Does this make sense?
Buying freehold of a leasehold property - Happy Blue!
You can call it redeem..., i would prefer to call it the purchase of the freehold from the freeholder by the leaseholder, which would effectively terminate the lease.

If the previous owner did not register the purchase though, the Land Registry would not know of the same party owning both titles. You need to speak to a lawyer.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Thanks

>redeem

I merely quote the term on the relevant document. If the document referred to 'purchase of a lease' then it would be very simple! Never let lawyers near anything...

>You need to speak to a lawyer

Much as I disapprove of people engaging in haphazard activities without suitable professional advice, on this occasion (unless somebody thinks I am very wrong & can justify his position) I propose that the land registry should be informed of the transfer to the widow by the executor at the same time as completing FR1 to register the proerty. The 'freehold' box will be ticked on the relevant forms.

If the registration form is returned by the LR, or if the LR contend that the property remains leasehold, then I would suggest that a lawyer should be involved. Up until that point, DIY.
Bosch condenser-boiler knock noise - buzbee
I had just gone to sleep in a strange house the other night to be sharply woken by a very loud knocking, at the rate of 2-3 blows a second, that lasted for about 10 seconds, with a sound like someone was nailing down floorboards in another room. Very loud indeed.

I was told next morning the cause was the central heating. The refurbished house is now only about 4 weeks in use and has a new Bosch condenser boiler.

I was told they had already tried bleeding the radiators and only water comes out.

Anyone got any experience of this with a Bosch heating system? Is there something odd I should know about? Or is it a case of keep looking for where air might be trapped?

My experience is only with low water pressure heating systems, that use a header tank, where such noise is quite small. I have heard water hammer in a mains supply, of course, but was a bit surprised to find it in a heating system re-circulating hot water.
Bosch condenser-boiler knock noise - mfarrow
Is there something odd I should know about? Or
is it a case of keep looking for where air might
be trapped?

Yup, air in there somewhere. Try looking for places you can bleed in the pipework, and bleed the radiators again if air's still finding its way through.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Bosch condenser-boiler knock noise - Altea Ego
Refurbished?

My thoughts, A pipe is rubbing somewhere on a joist or floorboard somewhere, or a radiator is fitted in its hanger with out the plastic insulator.
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
I was having difficulty in understanding the bangs. In the case of turning a sink tap on with air in the pipe, the water races down the pipe behind the air and then meets the resistance of a constriction that the air is easily able to get past but not so the water. Hence the bang when the water suddenly slows up.

But in an enclosed heating system with, say, less that 20 feet lift to the upstairs, the increased water pressure via the pump is only about 10 lbs/sq inch, I guess, and so fairly small. But it seems it is still large enough to make big bangs. Surprises me.

However, your experience suggests it is just that. I will pass on your remarks, thanks.
Am I right in thinking the radiators are at mains water pressure? And, if so, are there many instances of radiators springing very serious water leaks? I have visions of flooding. (Auto switch off?)

How about a condenser boiler for use with a previously installed low pressure system, so as to retain the old header tank and hot water cylinder with its optional electric heater. Are they made?

Such a design could still recover the heat from the exhaust gas simply by fan-assisting it through a heat exchanger.

Finally can anyone refer me to an on-line service manual for a condensing boiler so I can see how they have designed it? Or a good diagram.
Bosch condenser-boiler knock noise - Hugo {P}
Am I right in thinking the radiators are at mains water
pressure? And, if so, are there many instances of radiators
springing very serious water leaks? I have visions of flooding.

The pressure depends on what type of system is fitted. Your friends may have a combi system where the rads are typically around 1 to 1.5 bar. Mains pressure is often considerabely more than this, and the system is pressurised from the mains by a combi fill loop, or simliar. Over pressurinsing the system can cause leaks, especially as you're asking pipework that has only seen perhaps 1.5 bar at the most to widthstand 4 bar or more.
How about a condenser boiler for use with a previously installed
low pressure system, so as to retain the old header tank
and hot water cylinder with its optional electric heater. Are
they made?

Yes, I believe they are. Indeed IIAC the new Part L of the building regs now require all new boilers fitted to be the condensing type, provided it's practical to do so. I am not a qualified plumber, but I am lead to understand that there are instances where the flu for these condensing boilers cannot be accommodated, so a traditional non condensing unit would be allowed.

You can get condensing boilers for both combi (1 bar rad pressure) and non combi (header tank) systems.
Finally can anyone refer me to an on-line service manual for
a condensing boiler so I can see how they have designed
it? Or a good diagram.

Someone here may be able to help....

www.screwfix.com/talk/index.jspa?authInfo=4302697811357130330844NOW3IHV44UESCSTHZOSFFQ4169046991
Bosch condenser-boiler knock noise - Civic8
could try this buzbee,certain problems needed a look,but not by me.
www.alpha-boilers.com/downloads/schematics/CB24282...f

HTH
--
Steve
Bosch condenser-boiler knock noise - L'escargot
I was having difficulty in understanding the bangs. In the case
of turning a sink tap on ......

Many years ago I was told be a water board fitter that my sink cold water tap hammer problem was probably caused by having a rubber washer in the stop tap ~ the rubber washer causes the jumper in the tap to bounce. He fitted a leather washer and this cured the problem. Don't suppose you can get leather washers now though.
--
L\'escargot.
Thanks for that (Hugo + Stevo etc.) -- can't yet access the alpha site -- may be being serviced?

I spent several hours yesterday on the web for a very small info. return -- very hard work.

I did eventually find PDF instructions for a wall mounted unit, that I have yet to fully wade through. I now have a lot of the basics, thanks, and can mostly understand the thinking behind it.

As it turns out, because the system is filled until the pressure is only 1-1.5 bar, as you say, water pressure is not very different from the old systems and my fear of serious water leaks is unfounded. It also explains why the radiator bleed operations did not result in high pressure water spirts.

The 1-1.5 bar at the downstairs boiler is enough pressure to ensure the radiators upstairs are full to the top and a bit to spare. My imperial education tells me one lb/squ/inch per 2 foot water head. I bar is 14.5 pounds/squ/ inch so good for 29 feet. (29x12x2.54 cm for you metric fellows -- I remember all the conversion factors, ha ha)

There was mention of a moving diaphragm being part of the boiler, to allow for hot water expanding, and even the other side of it being pressurised with hydrogen! In principle (I guess) the filling pipe could have been connected to a header tank (might not be in the approval procedure) and then it would be easy to put the Fernox in and also to the system charged up.

Thanks.
Bosch condenser-boiler knock noise - Cyd
Most central heating pumps are multi speed. Have a look at the speed the pump is set at (usually a little switch on the side of the pump). If it's set to speed 1, try turning it up to 2 or even 3.

Also have a look at the boiler heat exchanger to see if it has a bleed valve.

If the rads are fitted with TRVs make sure that at least one rad (usually a bathroom or hallway) has its valves set fully open. Also make sure the outlet valve on each rad is set to fully open.

You might also find a bleed valve in the pipework just near and above the pump. Open this to bleed the pump.
Which bread maker - Xileno {P}
The Mrs has decided she wants a bread maker and I have been tasked with getting it. However I don't know what it all means, there seem to be so many different models and a large price range. Can anyone help? What should I be looking for in terms of specification? And what is the point, I am happy with the bread she gets in the supermarket but apparently these machines do it better?
Thanks for any advice.
Which bread maker - Adam {P}
We've got one X. Put all the stuff in, forget about it and it makes your house smell great when you get in!

However, whilst it makes delicious bread, I really don't think it's a patch on the proper baked bread supermarkets. Maybe it's just ours but the bread always seems fluffier.

Mind you, eating it when it's just been done is fantastic. It makes great toast too!
Which bread maker - Avant
"We've got one X. Put all the stuff in, forget about it and it makes your house smell great when you get in!"

I wish I was a cartoonist and able to draw Adam (who I believe is 6'5") getting into the family breadmaker - along with all the stuff - and smelling great....
Which bread maker - Adam {P}
I wish I could string sentences together without implying other things!

Although I hear Eau De Hovis is an extraordinarily nice fragrance.

I'll echo the warning of making sure you put all the precise amount of ingredients in otherwise it will go wrong.

Also, if you get one, make chocolate bread. It's a delicious as it sounds.
Which bread maker - Armitage Shanks {p}
The bread they make is great but it is fair to say that the cheap machines ie £29.99 seem not to! I recommend National Panasonic, excellent results from bread mixes in packets and from recipes in the machine's cook book. It is essential to measure the ingredients accurately and put them in the machine in the stated order. If you do that all works well.
Which bread maker - Bromptonaut
Our Panasonic SD253 has been excellent, but we've had it a few years and may have been superceded.
Which bread maker - Armitage Shanks {p}
Bromptonaut, it is still made but the price has come down a bit, I paid £78. It also now has an auotomated tray to drop nuts and fruits into the machine during the baking, rather than one having to wait around to do it manually.
Which bread maker - Stuartli
>>nuts and fruits>>

Adam would probably have written nuts and bolts...:-)

Some possible assistance:

tinyurl.com/clhd4

tinyurl.com/a6ccr

tinyurl.com/8r7ur

tinyurl.com/dvckn

tinyurl.com/7sprc

Which bread maker - daveyjp
My wife bought a Phillips model a few years ago. It took a few loaves being thrown in the bin before we found the perfect recipe, but it worked OK. Needless to say it was sold to a friend after it had gathered dust for a few months.
Which bread maker - pmh
Panasonic is the only one to buy! I have several friends who have tried cheaper models without much success.

Online at Amazon was the best deal around last year.

--

pmh (was peter)

Which bread maker - Xileno {P}
Thank you all. Looks like I had better find one of the Panasonic ones. I am hoping that I can make her wait until March, she can have it as a birthday present then. I expect I will get a clip around the ear. I have a suspicion that this will get used a few times and then end up being given away just like a fondue set she was on about a few years ago.
Which bread maker - Mapmaker
I bought a TESCO's items about 3 years ago. It was the cheapest breadmaker at the time, about £35. Nowadays, similar breadmakers seem to be about £19. If mine were to die, I would buy a new £19 one. The only thing it does not do is smaller loaves - mine makes 800g loaves, and it might be nice if it were to make 400g loaves and then they wouldn't go "off" so quickly. Depends on the size of your family. I buy 1kg bread mix packets from Lidl which cost me 89p - which makes 2 loaves. I make all my own bread - it's delicious, and I never run out.

Tipping in nuts... yeah right! When did you last buy a loaf with nuts and raisins in it? Why do you imagine that purchase of a breadmaker will suddenly require you to have this facility!
Two way radios - any good? - Rebecca {P}
Are two way radios any good or are they just glorified kids walkie talkies for several times the price?

Can anyone recommend a make/model? Thinking of occasional use mostly keeping in touch with kids when they are in the park (over the road) and on holiday hotel complex, so a range of up to 1km is enough. Don't really want to get them a mobile phone yet and toy walkie talkies are rubbish.

Any consumer advice?
Two way radios - any good? - Xileno {P}
Screwfix do some, I've yet to have anything duff off them so would have confidence in their models.
Two way radios - any good? - Bromptonaut
Rebecca,

Licence free "walkie talkies" operate on 446Mhz and are sold in the UK, and most of the EU, as PMR446. Look for sets with 8 channels plus at least 32 CTSS sub channels which allow limited sharing of frequencies (you may be blocked from transmitting simultaneously but at least you cannot hear other's chit chat). Advertised range needs to be taken with a large pinch of salt, but 500 metres line of sight is reasonably reliable, beyond that it's touch and go. Range is minimal in steel framed buildings (as we found in the Cite de Europe!!). You need to work through, and brief kids for, a procedure in the event of a Comms failure.

We have a set of 4 is branded as Binatone which came from Halfords, they perform OK and came with NiCd battery packs and mains charger units.
Two way radios - any good? - Happy Blue!
We have used them as well, and they are very useful, especially around hotels. We also used it for a distance of about 1.5km over flat land (airfield) and it worked a treat.
--
Two way radios - any good? - Rebecca {P}
Thanks all for advice so far. I think it could be worth 30 odd quid to have a go.

Would you expect them to work OK inside a hotel building too (4 storey) or only outside?
Two way radios - any good? - spikeyhead {p}
That depends on the hotel construction. it's likely in a reaonable size four storey hotel they'll be ok, but it's possible that you'll have some deadspots.
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Two way radios - any good? - kennybase
I would say that these radios would work fine in a hotel. I have seen a few families using them whilst on some of the bigger cruise ships, usually about 9 stories high, and long enough for a walk to tire you out after dinner!
When I worked on one of the ships when it was in Southampton dock (I was a gardener!) we used them there as well as the call for help was always useful when you were holding up a tree that was about to fall on you!
Two way radios - any good? - BobbyG
Make sure you get one with a belt clip or hook on them. we had ones that had no means of securing and the kids refused to take them as they were too big for pockets and it meant them having to carry them about.
Two way radios - any good? - Bromptonaut
Make sure you get one with a belt clip or hook
on them. we had ones that had no means of securing
and the kids refused to take them as they were too
big for pockets and it meant them having to carry them
about.

A holster or "bum bag" is another solution. Belt clips need a belt and some are not that secure - we lost one of our original BT Freeway set.
Office temperature - borasport20
I believe there is a minimum temperature for your working environment in offices ? anybody know what ?

ta

Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk
Office temperature - L'escargot
I believe there is a minimum temperature for your working environment
in offices ? anybody know what ?

I think you'll find that minimum temperature requirements only apply to workshops, and not offices. Ask a/your union rep or your personnel (human resources?!) department.
--
L\'escargot.
Office temperature - L'escargot
It seems I'm behind the times!
www.hse.gov.uk/contact/faqs/temperature.htm
--
L\'escargot.
Office temperature - Pugugly {P}
18 C in my office yesterday, my you I spent most of the day in the local custody unit !
Thanks from my wife! - daveyjp
A few months ago I posted for advice about buying a pushchair for our first child. My wife also did the same on a 'Mums and Babies' website.

She has now taken comments on board about whether to go for travel systems, seperate chassis etc, she has considered typical useage - mainly moving from the car to the house and wandering around shops (!), ease of use in terms of weight (7 steps up to the back door), size (must fit in the car) and ease of folding - she will be alone most of the time.

After much deliberation she has plumped for a Quinny Buzz with seperate car seat (and she's found one in the sales and saved £70).

So thanks for all your comments.
Private purchase payment advice - mark(NEScotland)
I have located a caravan which we hoped to purchase early 2006, it is the exact model, year and condition we are after and also has 6 months manaufacturers warranty left (3 years total). Unfortunately it is 500 miles away in Hampshire.

I have verbally agreed an offer on the telephone of £12000 with the vendor, which I think is a good deal looking at Glass' valuation and the description given. The van is advertised by a member in the Caravan Club magazine, but that is the only 'reliable' information available.

I hope to have a friend who lives locally view the van in a week or so but would like to at least negotiate the vendor holding the van for a time. Am I best to agree a small holding deposit? Post a cheque or registered mail cash? Quite a risk really as I don't know the vendor from Adam.

If I agree to proceed, is cash payment of the £12000 the best option; having heard stories about bankers drafts etc. Is it possible to do a bank transfer through my own account to the vendors?
Any advice and recommendations appreciated.

Mark
Private purchase payment advice - Pugugly {P}
Have you got e-mail contact with the vendor ?
Private purchase payment advice - spikeyhead {p}
Its quite easy to do a CHAPS transfer from one bank account to another, will happen the same day.

You can use this for both a small hoolding deposit withotu meeting him and for the main transfer, jsut go to your bank's local branch together and fil the forms in.

There's a £20 ish charge for teh transfer, though if you're bank sees you as a valuable enough customer then they won't charge you.
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Private purchase payment advice - Mapmaker
>registered post cash

Whyever? It's a deposit. You only run the risk of the cash disappearing. And you must send it special delivery, not recorded, by the way.

Send a cheque as deposit if you must.

>bankers drafts

Personally, given the huge quantity of money involved, if I were the vendor I would want to meet you in a branch of your bank. You would withdraw the money from your account. The money would then be paid into my account without ever being passed over the counter - and I've no doubt it would cost me a tenner for using a different bank from my own.

If the vendor wants 'readies' then if I were you I would ask him to meet me in my bank. 12k is a little bit of money to be carrying around!

If you do wish to use a banker's draft, then forged ones can easily be circumvented by ringing the issuing bank to confirm that they are genuine.

Private purchase payment advice - mark(NEScotland)
Thanks to all for advice.

Pug, yes have email contact.

Mapmaker, I will explore with my local branch best option as you say; carrying £12K is quite a risk; maybe send a small deposit to hold for a week.

thanks
Leaves Vacuum/Blower thingy - BobbyG
Looking to get my dad one of these vacuum / blower thingys for picking up all the leaves in his garden. Anyone got one they recommend? I have seen ones that pick up and shred the leaves for under £50, which is my guide price.

Obviously the leaves are mostly wet and thick, so need something that has some good vacuuming power!

Any recommendations?
Leaves Vacuum/Blower thingy - Cardew
I have had 2 including an upmarket petrol machine and they are not really much good - especially if the leaves are wet.

They are better for blowing dry leaves off a patio or sucking some leaves from awkward places - log pile etc.

IMO there is no substitute for the garden rake. Having said that, the local hardware store(Charlies) were selling some Wilkinsons Sword 'Classic' leaf rakes for £5.99 which are the best thing for leaves that I have ever used - very light and cover a large area. They have plastic prongs and a plastic flexible handle and come with a 5 year garantee.
Leaves Vacuum/Blower thingy - ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond
I had a Flymo one. Complete plop. It ended up sitting in the shed for a long time before finally being sold at a car boot sale.
A rake, two arms and some black bags do a much better job than the Flymo ever did.
Leaves Vacuum/Blower thingy - Dalglish
Any recommendations?

>>

don't buy one would be my advice. if you do, then get the operator (and anyone else who is within a 100 metre radius) a decent pair of ear-defenders.

imo, these blowers should be subject to noise nuisance control regulations.

Leaves Vacuum/Blower thingy - Chas{P}
Got my late father's Flymo one. Complete waste of time and noisy.

Rake and boards much quicker.

HTH
--
Was Charles {P} but someone c o p i e d my name with spaces.
Leaves Vacuum/Blower thingy - Oz
Got my late father's Flymo one. Complete waste of time and noisy.

Got one as well. Great for blowing leaves, not much good at sucking them up. Quicker with a rake etc.

Oz (as was)
Leaves Vacuum/Blower thingy - Marc
I've got a JCB one. Paid about £50 for it about 2 years ago. I get a lot of leaves at this time of year in both my driveway and garden - it's a lot quicker than sweeping/raking.

It is very noisy however and the shredders make a lot of dust so it's best when used for short periods of time in scruffy clothes.

I've never used the reverse blow function
Leaves Vacuum/Blower thingy - borasport20
I have whatever the cheapest is that b&q do !

I bought it as most of our back garden is gravelled, but we have loads of small-leaved shrubs and it is difficult the rake the leaves up without raking the gravel up as well, so it is good to just vacuum them up.

I don't think that any of them, however expensive, will be all that good for vacuuming wet leaves, and the other thing to bear in mind is they can be quite heavy and cumbersome to use

hth

Go on, get out of the car...
www.mikes-walks.co.uk