Alternator belt - expected life? - Roberson
Hi all.

I was going to change my alternator belt soon, mainly as a precautionary measure, because it can be noisy sometimes and after 12 years and 109000 miles of use I thought it might be a wise idea. The belt looks OK (the odd whisker of outer webbing seems to be occasionally visible) but, just like cam-belts, you can't really go off how it looks.

Thing is, it always seems to be a part that goes unnoticed. You never seem to hear of many breaking, and people seemingly never change them.

How long can you reasonable expect a one to last and am I being a bit premature about its replacement? I was thinking along the lines, 'prevention is better than cure' especially for the sake of a £3.50 bit of rubber!
Alternator belt - expected life? - Aprilia
I think you've had your money's worth from it.

I change them at 5 years on my own car - not because they might snap but by that age they are getting a bit hard and polished and tend to slip or screech on a cold morning.
Alternator belt - expected life? - Xileno {P}
Surprised it hasn't snapped already. I think the VW recommendation on these old VW's was 60K. There's not much loading on these, the alternator is a relatively small one. Best to change it now and I always used to keep the old one as a spare in the boot. Although at £3-50 you could justify a new one as a spare.

Dead easy to fit on these Polos but make sure it's not too tight. You want to be able to rotate the alternator slightly with the belt on. A garage I used to use (note the past tense...) always used to overtighten the belt, you could hear the bearings in the alternator groaning :-(
Thanks Aprilia and Xileno, much appreciated.

That?s what makes things difficult. As with cam belts, VAG don?t seem to supply any change intervals for the other belts. The Haynes manual tells you when change the cam belt, but not the alternator, recommending only a check of tension and belt condition.

I have a VW workshop manual which details how to change them, so I should be able to get the tension spot on.

Well, looks like i'm taking a visit to garage later on!

Keep the comments coming though
Alternator belt - expected life? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
In the good old days my BL cars needed the skinny alternator V belts changing once a year or so- they really wore out fast and ended bottoming out in the pulleys.
These days on my VW they are much wider with multi V- and multi purpose - never had one changed yet. Think the manual just specifies a check.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
Mine is more like the ones your BL cars would have had (12x710mm).

Went to the garage and tried to order one this afternoon. They initially had trouble finding the appropriate one, but had it sorted out in no time. Unfortunately, they had none in stock (which I quite expected 'cos they're not exactly a service parts as such) and thus ordered one in for me, so I?ll collect it tomorrow. It turned out to be £4, but its hardly going to break the bank.

I'm now quite interested to see what state the old one is in. I'll report back once I?ve changed it. Keep your ideas coming.
Alternator belt - expected life? - John F
My BL TR7 belt is still going strong at 66,000 and 25yrs old. It gets an occasional squirt of belt dressing to keep it supple.
If it works, don't mend it!
UPDATE...UPDATE...UPDATE......

Finally got round to changing this today. What a faf! Due to the upheaval caused by our garage extension, I had to change the belt in my Grandmas garage (not only that but the tools were supposed to be there too). Managed to save a lot of time by not having to jack the car up, as I could crawl as far as I needed with the car as normal.

Well, it turned out the tools I wanted were still at home, so I made do with the imperial/metric mix that was there.

Removed the old belt, and I think I?ve been driving on borrowed time for quite a while. The belt was in far worse condition than the usual check would have you believe. All the rubber was heavily polished/glazed, with every tooth having deep cracks before and after it, with the webbing starting to fail and some missing rubber (which mush have come away from the internal webbing)

Installed the new one as per instruction in the Haynes and VAG workshop manual, which involves running it for a small time. Everything OK. After running, you have to re-tension it, so I did. By now, it?s quite late and it?s getting dark, so I finish up and remove car from garage.

Upon driving home, it sounded different. I think I may have over tightened it, as all the way home, the car sounded like a steam kettle whistle/ washing machine on a spin cycle! The manuals ask you to tighten to torqueses which were too low to be measured on the wrench I had, so I had to guess, which I appear to have done wrongly.

So, first things first. Tomorrow, I?ll slacken it, but the current tension (measured by pressing along the longest length) is already up to the maximum deflection.

Any thoughts
Don't bother with what the books say, just tighten it enough so that you can turn the alternator by hand. Better that it's a bit loose rather than over tight. You can always adjust it again if it starts squeeling too much. You'll wreck the bearings if it's too tight.
I wouldn't have continued driving it, but I really had no option. I kept engine speeds as low as I could, but had to venture on to a dual carriage way eventually.

I hope it hasn't done too much harm.
It will be ok but slacken it as soon as you can.
Cheers Xileno, been a great help (thanks to all of the above too)

I think it serves as a warning that these items should be checked more carefully/regularly.
Alternator belt - expected life? - dollygolfmids
to get it rite without fancy tools ect, the tension should be that so when u hold with ur hand, you can turn it about 90 degrees with 2 much effort, then it stops and resists the twist.
if you cant reach about 90degree twist its too tight, if it goes past 90degrees and starts twisting round the opposite way to that which the belt is facing on the pulleys... then its too lose. im not familiar with your engine set up. but its usally either a sliding alternator bracket, or a belt tensioner positioned between the pulleys.
I think I finally have it right!

Slackened it off again this morning, and ran it for a time, to which everything seemed ok.

Decided that I?d give it a run, getting the belt settled and burning off any excess deposits from the oil etc after all the stop/starts and brief runs while testing the belt. Got half way out the estate when it was at it again. Arrrrggghhhh

Came home, and slackened it off further, to the point where I would have thought the belt was so slack, it would begin to slip (over 10mm deflection). Anyways, started it up again.....no whistle, hurray!

I was going to take some photos while out on my drive, but by the time I got to where I wanted to be, it was too dark. Typical. Well, it least me and the car had a good run into the country if nothing else.
Alternator belt - expected life? - Civic8
>>it would begin to slip (over 10mm deflection).

free play at longest point should be approx 1/2 inch,too tight you will get alternator bearing whine
--
Steve
Alternator belt - expected life? - Hamsafar
Modern multi-ribs seem to last much longer than the old V belts.
I recently found that oil contamination ruins them very quickly.
I had to remove a belt tensioner bell crank, it was stuck, and I used loads of spray-oil etc... this got onto the belt which was only a week old (to try and cure a noise which ended up being this bell crank) anyway, I cleaned the oil off the belt so I thought, but a month later the belt exploded while driving along and I had to call the AA. It was a proper Contitech belt which replaced 5 year old Contitechs. So I assume it was the oil ruined the rubber.
Alternator belt - expected life? - none
It used to be easier in the old days. I can remember leather / fabric fan belts that were adjusted by removing part of the belt. They were made of hundreds of individual links like a chain is. If the belt was a bit loose, you just removed a link. If it was a bit tight, it wouldn't fit. Spot on every time !
Alternator belt - expected life? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
An even worse scenario which I experienced , was the V in a pulley actually wearing. The noise might be caused by the belt bottoming out - even the new one.
A common bodge in my younger days ,when all else failed, was to use a squirt of WD40 to silence things temporarily.
Mind you I may be thinking of a dynamo set-up where the belt did not have to transmit much torque.
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.
WHINE! Had the thing squealing like a scalded child the first time. Surprised the bearings didn't pop out in protest.

I really can't complain at the life of the old Continental belt (the name you can just make out) having 12 years use and several doses of WD40 to stop it squeaking.

The new belt is a Bosch, which I?m sure will serve its purpose just as well. Only I could turn such a simple affair into such a saga.

I was beginning to think it wasn't worth worrying about the belt, as the lady at the garage had to order a one in ?'cos we don?t do many of those you see?. But now I?m quite glad, seeing how ropey the old one was.
The belts from Halfords are good quality, I've used them on VW's.