What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I Have A Question Volume 102 - Hugo {P}

***** This thread is now closed, Please go to Volume 103 *****

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=36771

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PC's. They now go in another Thread.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which we think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 102. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18847

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.
Winter fuel payment - L'escargot
My winter fuel payment is paid straight into my bank account. Although I haven?t had any notification of what I am entitled to, I think that this year the DSS has made a mistake and the payment credited to my account is too high. Do I have a legal duty to query it with the DSS? If I have been overpaid and the DSS subsequently spot the error, are they likely to demand repayment?

--
L\'escargot.
Winter fuel payment - Stuartli
If you are 65 and over you are entitled to a (one off) payment towards council tax.

It was an election ruse by Gordon Brown because of the furore over the high levels of council tax earlier this year.

If there are two of you (or more) living in your home (i.e. spouse, partner etc) the amount involved is usually split evenly.

In my case the council tax payment appears to equal that of the winter fuel allowance (£100 each for me and SWMBO).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Winter fuel payment - L'escargot
If you are 65 and over you are entitled to a
(one off) payment towards council tax.

Thanks Stuartli, that's what it must be.
--
L\'escargot.
Winter fuel payment - Phil I
>If you are 65 and over you are entitled to a (one off) payment towards council tax.

This is so. Received mine and SWMBO's yesterday. Wonder if Growler has got his yet. Ice cold in Manila :-))

Phil I
Winter fuel payment - Stuartli
>>Received mine and SWMBO's yesterday>>

Same here. We're just getting a little bit back of the vast amount we pay in taxes...:-((
Winter fuel payment - cheddar
I dont qualify though IIRC it should be around £400 for a couple.
>it should be around £400 for a couple.

It is 200 Fuel Assistance 200 Council Tax Rebate per household.

Single Pensioners or Householders claiming Council Tax benefit however do not receive the Rebate, only the Fuel Assistance as they already have reduced Council Tax.

Phil I
Winter fuel payment - Bromptonaut
>it should be around £400 for a couple.
It is 200 Fuel Assistance 200 Council Tax Rebate per household.
Single Pensioners or Householders claiming Council Tax benefit however do not
receive the Rebate, only the Fuel Assistance as they already have
reduced Council Tax.
Phil I

Do you mean those getting CTB are out of scope (reasonable if they're on or near 100% benefit) or all those getting the Single Occupier Discount?
As I read the original announcement this is the case. Any CTB will negate the Rebate completely. Am open to contradiction on this point if anyone knows to the contrary. What makes me smile is the Fuel Allowance going to expats. I assume this is because of the difficulty in filtering the database at Newcastle to pick out the expats in colder climates from the people like our friend Growler.

Phil I
Indoor TV aerials - any good ones? - Nsar
We live in an area of weak signal and for reasons too dull to go into here I'm looking for an internal aerial for a second TV. I already have a plug in signal amp.
Indoor TV aerials - any good ones? - No FM2R
I don't see an internal aerial working in a weak signal area, but that to one side I found the one I got from B&Q pretty good - two sticky-up aerials on a small black base which has suckers for sticking to the top of the television.

But, as I said, this isn't a weak signal area.
Indoor TV aerials - any good ones? - Stuartli
I already have a plug in signal amp.>>

If you live in a weak signal area an internal aerial is almost certainly going to be of little value.

Why not add a second aerial amplifier feeding from the first amplifier to link to your second TV?

Our main TV, VCR and Freeview set top box setup is in the back room and, although we live reasonably close to Winter Hill, it is fed from an aerial amplifier as I bought a TV for the front room.

This is linked by a 60ft or so coaxial cable under the floorboards from the amplifier.

When I got a Freeview PCI TV card for my computer system (also in the front room) I bought a second aerial amplifier for about £10 at Tesco.

One feed goes to the TV and the second, via a 15ft coaxial cable, to my system. Signal strength to the TV card has always been first class despite the considerable cabling involved.

Incidentally, the original aerial amplifier was purchased in the early 1980s and has never been switched off - it's still providing sterling service.
Indoor TV aerials - any good ones? - Altea Ego
We live in an area of weak signal and for reasons
too dull to go into here I'm looking for an internal
aerial for a second TV. I already have a plug in
signal amp.

Rather than waste your money, send the dosh to me,

Indoor aerials in weak signal areas = waste of time, despite what they might say on the packing.,
--
RF - currently 1 Renault short of a family
Indoor TV aerials - any good ones? - bell boy
indeed true, you cant get what isnt already there no matter how hard you try.
Suits ! - IanW1977
If I am a 36" Waist - What Size Suit Jacket should I be loooking for chest wise roughly ?!

Moved to IHAQ thread

Hugo - BR Moderator
Suits ! - Stuartli
42in (in my case) Regular.

But it's not cast in stone...:-)

Why not try on some jackets and find what chest size and jacket length is required in your case?
What's for you won't pass you by
Suits ! - Pugugly {P}
Just bought an off the peg, 44 inch by 36 inch. 42 inch was too tight.
Suits ! - Altea Ego
rf is 36inch waste, 31 inch leg 42 or 44 regular jacket
--
Suits ! - Mapmaker
>rf is 36inch waste,

Not that much of a waste, surely.
Suits ! - Stuartli
>>42 inch was too tight.>>

As I said it's not cast in stone.

I'm lucky in that, being tall and slim, for the past 47 years or so I've been able to buy off the peg jackets (42in R) and trousers (once 34in, now 36in waist and 31in leg) because I've put on very little weight.

That's despite having a very hearty appetite and naturally, as a journalist, a great fondness for the liquids that you are now allowed to devour 24 hours a day if you wish...:-)
Oil AGA on the blink - Nsar
It won't stay lit. Oil gets to wick, but when I light it, it stays lit for only a few minutes leading me to think it's just burning what has come through from the regulator when I went through the start up sequence. I've had the filter out, which was clean. Oil is getting to CH boiler sat next to AGA OK
I'm stumped and the guy who normally fixes it seems to have disappeared off planet Earth.
Anyone know someone in the North Manchester area?
Oil AGA on the blink - Xileno {P}
Unfortunately we're in the South West so the bloke we use will be of no use to you. I would strongly advise you to use a proper AGA registered technician rather than a general heating person who may claim to be able to service AGA's. They are more complex than many think in that they need correct setting up. Also some of the non-AGA people may not be up to speed with the factory service bulletins. There were a lot of problems with AGA's when Customs and Excise put a dye in the fuel similar to red agricultural diesel.
Oil AGA on the blink - defender
Nsar it sounds like it has carboned up in the central pot where the fuel comes in,this is a regular service job on a vaporising wick burner.if you lift the cast hot plate (very heavy)and carefully remove the vaporising rings or if you have small hands and can reach down the middle you lift the little round lid which is 2inches diameter approx you will see the carbon underneath it.the best way to remove this is take the burner out and scrape it out right down into the neck of the fuel pipe ensuring it is very level when you replace it.you can loosen it and use an old hoover but it makes a mess of it so dont use a good one .I look after a few and do this job regularly if you want more info let me know
ps I sometimes do it by taking switching of the fuel at the float,disconnecting the pipe at the front of the burner and sliding the burner out as its easier than lifting the cast hot plate ,the carbon can sometimes need a bit of poking to get it loose but its not beyond a capable diy man
Thanks Defender, but I don't think it's coked up (insert your own celeb joke here) as we had the flue swept a few weeks back and I cleaned out the coke then from the burner rings. It's been running fine since.
if its not a fuel restriction the only other things I can suggest are to lift the thin lid of the fuel pot and check that the slide with the teeth hasn`t moved too far along and not moving now with the setting knob(if that makes sense)have seen this happen.
have you had a fuel delivery recently?not some derv in by mistake or anything like that,a pressure jet will run on derv where a wick burner wont.our delivery driver has emptied out his pipes with derv into aga tank instead of flushing with kero into the heating tank first with this problem happening
I had a bit of a ferret about in the fuel pot and the slidy thing seemed to be working OK, I'll have another look tonight. The one other thing now I think about it is that it has been getting progressively cooler over the last few weeks, ie it normally runs to temperature with the knob set to about 2.30 on the clock face, but I've had to open a lttle further recently.
Assume no derv in tank as boiler is running fine.
youve had to open it a little further recently- has the float or the valve stuck in place?.
sorry cant be more help from this distance however if you look here www.aga-web.co.uk/raytech/engineer/locate.htm you might find local help
Thanks Defender - I've left messages with a couple of the people listed.
Share Price Blip - lezebre
It's academic/fantasy for me, but does anyone know what happened to THYSSENKRUPP - who are not unconnected with motoring - around April '04. Never seen a chart quite like that before. TIA.
www.gahooyoogle.com/search.php?st=Web&q=thyssenkru...e
Share Price Blip - Phil I
www.thyssenkrupp.com/

Seems a good place to start.:-)

Doing better than most Uk Engineering & Manfr.:-((

Phil I
Share Price Blip - Dalglish
what happened to THYSSENKRUPP ... around April '04.

>>

nothing from what i see at
www.thyssenkrupp.com/en/investor/charts.html
and
www.thyssenkrupp.com/documents/tkag_kurse_eng/Exce...s

unless you see something i can't !

Share Price Blip - David Horn
Incidentally - we're saving quite a lot on fuel for our Aga by putting the electic oil pump on to a programmable timer switch with a relay in it. When it loses power, it drops to a minimum setting, which keeps it going overnight. Comes back on at 6am and is at it's normal temperature by 8.

Your timer switch needs to have a relay in it rather than a thyristor, as we blew our first timer switch up!
Share Price Blip - lezebre
Thanks Phil I and Dalglish,

however this is what I was looking at, and the link I intended.
uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=TKA.DE&t=2y&l=on&z=m&q...=

shome mistake :) ?
or not ???
Share Price Blip - Dalglish
lezebre - btw, you should have changed the thread by posting a new topic from the top. this thread is for the aga cooker.

re you question. the yahoo prices for april 2004
uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/hp?s=TKA.DE&b=1&a=03&c=2004...d
show an error on 7 april 2004. someone has got one cell details wrong.
Fridge Freezer in garage - Marc
When I moved house this year I found that my Siemens fridge freezer would not fit in my new galley kitchen so I had to buy a slimline model. I keep my old one in the garage and use it for storing extra milk, bread, beer etc. With the recent cold snap - subzero overnight last week, I noticed that the contents of the freezer have softened and the temp dial has swung into the "danger zone".

The internal thermostat operates on a scale of 1 -5 with 5 being the coldest. Ever since I've had the fridge I've run it on 3 both indoors and out. I've now had to turn it up to 5 in order to get the compressor to run and keep items frozen - is this normal in winter/unheated outbuilding conditions?

Thanks
Fridge Freezer in garage - AlastairW
Yes. If you still have the manual you will find that it should be kept at room temperature to work most efficiently.
Fridge Freezer in garage - lezebre
I'm sure I've heard that many fridge freezers were designed so that if the ambient temperature was too cold for the fridge to run, the freezer would also remain inoperative. I suppose the thinking was that a lived in house would always be warm enough to operate the fridge. What if you go away for a few days in a cold snap though? Siemens, too, Tch!
Fridge Freezer in garage - Altea Ego
A fridge or freezer works on the principal of being to disipate the diffrence in temparatures between inside the fridge and outside the fridge.

If there is little differential the whole principle of operation falls apart.

--
Fridge Freezer in garage - Mapmaker
>>If there is little differential the whole principle of operation falls apart.

But presumably there is plenty of differential between the freezer part and the outside world. Or is it the case that there is only one thermostat, powering the fridge, and the freezer just follows?
Most share the same pump and heat exchanger for for freezer and fridge part.
--
So am I to assume then that I can forget about using it throughout the winter months?

I take it from your comments RF that the problem is that it is a fridge freezer and not just a freezer (like many people keep in their garages)
Indeed, funny enough - if you put a heater behind it it would restore its usefullness again.
--
Fridge Freezer in garage - AlastairW
Better idea. If the garage is cold anyway, and you are using it for beer, why not turn the fridge off? Beer would be just as cold, and no electricity used.
Very true about the beers, but it's all the frozen stuff I'm really annoyed about at the moment. I had thought about putting a flat panel 800w heater in there to keep the frost off but I may just run the thing down now.
Webpaymother - henry k
What is a Webpaymother and should /does this forum have one?
Yes I did spell it correctly.

I have just got an email from Webpaymother at one of the major mobile phone companies after I had fired off an Email with a series of complaints about them.
Webpaymother - Welliesorter
I have just got an email from Webpaymother at one of
the major mobile phone companies after I had fired off an
Email with a series of complaints about them.

Google draws a complete blank. Perhaps it's just an address they use to reply to complaints.
Webpaymother - henry k
Google draws a complete blank. Perhaps it's just an address they use to reply to complaints.

>>
It leaves me blank too.
The email address is the normal type one would expect.
Webpaymother is used in the subject line.
Webpaymother - Stuartli
WebPay Incorporated seems to be a means by which websites who list a variety of companies' products and services are able to get their commission/cut of whatever payments you make to the outlets they feature or, secondly, a variation of secure online payment.

I presume that Webpaymother is the female equivalent of a Web(pay)master who looks after such web pages on behalf of a company.

See:

tinyurl.com/8lutd (details WebPay Incorporated) and the Click&Buy® service, which looks somewhat similar to PayPal of e-Bay fame.

Also:

tinyurl.com/bwbmp
Webpaymother - Stuartli
>>WebPay Incorporated>>

This is a multinational link to the WebPay scheme:

en.firstgate.de/wasist/sicherheit.html
Webpaymother - Dynamic Dave
I have just got an email from Webpaymother at one of
the major mobile phone companies after I had fired off an
Email with a series of complaints about them.

Google may not have thrown anything up, but Altavista did.

www.orange.co.uk/contact/form.php?customer=imnotac...r
Basic Statistics - Vin {P}
If I have a sample of a sequence of numbers, let's say

+2, -1, +3, -2, +1, +3, -4, -2 ....... and so on to a large sample.

What I'm trying to work out is

1) What the average is - I can cope with this

2) What confidence I can attach to this average from a given sample size.

3) What size sample I will need to have to have a z% confidence that the average sits in a range of x to y. Which I guess is a rejigging of question 2. So, I guess I'm looking for this formula as a general solution.

I'm not necessarily looking for the answer, but some guidance as to a decent starting statistics book would be useful. I'm mathematically very savvy (so I don't necessarily need a numpty guide), but did pure and applied maths rather than stats.

Ta,

V

Basic Statistics - adverse camber
google for variance, 'standard deviation' and 'chi squared'

I only touched on stats but I think chi is what you need to decide if your sample is significant.

variance of which standard deviation is one part covers what I think you want.

Basic Statistics - Number_Cruncher
The book I use is;

Probability, Random Variables and Stochastic Processes

By Papoulis and Pillai,

Published by McGraw Hill.

Thankfully, I don't have to do too much stats day to day, but, as I find it by far the dullest part of engineering maths, and I can barely remember anything beyond a simple calculation of the average, I really need to use a book!

So, although the book is on my shelf behind me, please don't ask me to provide a more specific answer. The mere thought of stats is already making me yawn...

Number_Cruncher
Basic Statistics - spikeyhead {p}
I'll agree with you about statistics being boring.

Fortunately most of the mathematical formulae required in everyday (for an engineer) use are now within excel.

Makes the calculation of STDEV and other such things easy.
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Basic Statistics - Stargazer {P}
Error on a mean of normally (ie Gaussian distribution) distributed numbers is the standard error on the mean given by

SE = sigma/sqrt(n) where sigma is the standard deviation
of the distribution

Then 95% of all measurements will be within 2*SE of the mean

Standard deviation of a distribution is easily calculated from the mean using a calculator.

Any basic statistics handbook, covering normal distributions, means, standard deviation and standard error will give more detail

hth

StarGazer
Basic Statistics - adverse camber
The one good book I remember readin gon stats was called something like 'How to lie with statistics' or something similar, it was an old penguin. It was clear and dealt with the issue of what stats means. All too often people put numbers into equations without understanding the prerequisits and assumptions underlying the formulae.
Basic Statistics - cheddar
The one good book I remember readin gon stats was called
something like 'How to lie with statistics' or something similar, >>

I was just thinking - Lies, damn lies and .......
Basic Statistics - R75
I was just thinking - Lies, damn lies and .......

........Tony Blair
Take off??? - R75
This was posted on another site, it is raising quite a few differing oppinions.

My view is that it will be able to take off, whats yours?

>>Imagine a plane is sat on the beginning of a massive conveyor belt/travelator type arrangement, as wide and as long as a runway, and intends to take off. The conveyer belt is designed to exactly match the speed of the wheels at any given time, moving in the opposite direction of rotation.
There is no wind.
Can the plane take off?
Take off??? - Number_Cruncher
Yes, the plane takes off because the wheels have nothing to do with the generation of thrust force on the plane.

The plane's engines will create thrust in exactly the usual manner. The change in momentum of the air passing through the engine creates a force on the axis of the engine.

The only effects of the conveyor belt are to change the local aerodynamics, the so called "ground effect". This will make the plane handle a little differently as it reaches take off speed (speed relative to the air, not the ground), and if the wheels are rotating at a different speed to normal, the effective mass of the aircraft will be a little different owing to the different amount of rotational kinetic energy stored in the spinning wheels.

The conveyor is, largely irrelevant.

Number_Cruncher
Take off??? - cheddar
Not sure what is meant by "moving in the opposite direction of rotation" however if the travelator is in effect transporting the plane along the runway it will assist the take off until the point where the wheels leave the ground, on the other hand if it moving in the opposite direction to the plane then it should not interfere with the take off but for the fact that the planes wheels will have to rotate at a much higher speed than normal which could cause tyre failure and will certainly create a small amount of added friction that the engines will have to counter.
Take off??? - Altea Ego
If the plane had enough magnetic levitation to prevent it scraping on the ground you could do away with wheels completely;.

The only question is, the plane will only take off with air movement over the wing.

So the plane has to move forward at 125 knots or the wind has to move at 125 knots.
--
Take off??? - Wally Zebon
If it's a Harrier then Yes as it doesn't need forward movement to get off the ground.

As for normal planes. The thrust from the engine is pushing against air and not tarmac, so it should take off. The wheels simply provide less resistance than the fuselage and the fact that they rotate cancels out most of the resistance anyway.
Take off??? - Mapmaker
Moving in opposite direction of rotation. Several interpretations.

1. Whilst one would normally imagine that an aeroplane would be moving forwards, the action of the travelator is to try to stop the aircraft from moving relative to the stationary ground so that it is stationary with respect to the air.

The wheels of an aeroplane don't provide any power to the plane. Therefore the engines will still push the aeroplane forward. So the motion of the travelator will never be fast enough (until the wheels melt and weld themselves to the travelator). So the aeroplane will just take off normally, at the far end of the travelator.

2. (That the wheels on the plane are said to 'rotate' suggests that this is not the correct scenario). The travelator is rushing the aeroplane towards the end of the runway, so that motion is provided by the travelator rather than the engines.

The aeroplane will have lift generated over its wings, so will take off... and then crash unless the engines are running. Are they?

I don't really understand the point of the question - but I suspect tat is the point of the question!
Take off??? - Baskerville
If by "the opposite direction of rotation" you mean the wheels are prevented from rotating, then the plane can't take off, because it effectively has the brakes on--the conveyor actually becomes a giant brake pad acting on the tyre. If it's a rolling road, travelling from front to back of the plane, then the plane can take off.
Take off??? - Mapmaker
>>If it's a rolling road, travelling from front to back of the plane, then the plane can take off.

No it cannot as the movement of air over the wings is non-existent. But that scenario couldn't happen as the road could not move quickly enough to counter the thrust from the engines.

Remember, a plane is not powered from the engines.
Take off??? - Armitage Shanks {p}
"Remember, a plane is not powered from the engines." As an ex-pilot I am bit confused by this! If a plane is not powered from the engines what are they there for? Why don't we dispense with them and stop all the greenhouse gases they cause
Take off??? - Mapmaker
>not powered from the engines

Errrr for 'engines' read 'wheels'. sorry!
On the contrary, a plane is powered from the engines, not the wheels so as long as the wheels are allowed to rotate in the right direction it will be able to move forward. In this case the road is reacting to the wheels, not being driven by them. The wheels would have to spin infinitely fast, but the plane would move.
>>If it's a rolling road, travelling from front to back of
the plane, then the plane can take off.
No it cannot as the movement of air over the wings
is non-existent. But that scenario couldn't happen as the road
could not move quickly enough to counter the thrust from the
engines.
Remember, a plane is not powered from the engines.

The speed of the aircraft relative to the air is *all* that matters. The speed of the wheels or ground is (besides some trivially small effects) irrelevant.

If the conveyor moves along with the plane, the wheels of the plane don't turn, but the speed of the plane relative to the air is unchanged when compared with a normal scenario, so the plane takes off.

If the conveyor is stationary, well, that's the normal case with terra firma, so that's obvious, the plane takes off.

If the conveyor moves against the direction of motion of the plane, the wheels turn twice as fast as usual. The speed of the plane relative to the air is unchanged when compared with the normal scenario, so the plane takes off.

The wheels are free to roll - their speed is irrelevant.

The behaviour of the conveyor makes no difference to how the aircraft generates thrust, and hence how it accelerates relative to terra firma, and the (still) air. As the wheels are free to roll, there's no way that the conveyor can apply any longitudinal force to the plane.

Number_Cruncher
Take off??? - Mapmaker
OK. We all agree here that if the aeroplane is moving with respect to the air then it takes off - and if it isn't, it doesn't. I think there is some difficulty in conceptualising the circumstances of the original (rather bizarre) post. I suspect we all have slightly different ideas as to this.

Take off??? - Altea Ego
we all agree that it matters not a hoot what the wheels are doing, so the whole premise of the orginal post is meaningless.
--
Take off??? - Dalglish
premise of the orginal post

>>

as i understood it, the premise of the original post was akin to walking up a down escalator so that you remained stationary to an observer on the ground. or using a treadmill - again remaining stationary to an observer on the ground.

in other words, the plane uses its energy just to stay where it was against the escalator trying to take it backwards. so it does not fly as the airflow over its wings is zero.
i posed a not too dissimilar question here a few days ago but in the context of wind drag on a car.
Take off??? - Altea Ego
but as the wheels do not provide the motive power, its not relevant.
--
i posed a not too dissimilar question here a few days
ago but in the context of wind drag on a car.

I thought you were asking about heat loss due to convection, or was that another question?

Number_Cruncher
Take off??? - AdrianM
The engines don't lift the plane off the ground - they provide thrust to move the plane forward through the air. As the plane gains speed the motion of air over the wings provides lift to raise the plane from the ground. The degree of lift is a function of the wing shape and its velocity through the air.

So it all depends on your interpretation of the conveyor belt. My assumption is that it's like a rolling road or running machine - no matter how fast you run you stay in the same place. If this is the case then no amount of thrust from the engines will lift the plane off the ground.
It might be easier to visualise it like this. Imagine you are walking against the flow of a moving walkway so that you stay in one place relative to the scenery. That's how it would work if the plane was driven by its wheels. But if someone was walking right behind you and gave you a shove you would fall forwards. The shove is equivalent to the jet engines; it's completely unrelated to what your legs are doing.

Airspeed, not groundspeed is what gives the plane lift so it doesn't matter what the ground is doing, with one exception. If the conveyor is running backwards, turning the wheels in reverse and thus locking them, it would prevent the plane from moving forwards and gaining airspeed.
with one exception. If
the conveyor is running backwards, turning the wheels in reverse and
thus locking them, it would prevent the plane from moving forwards
and gaining airspeed.

>>

I don't agree with this bit.

Nothing is locking the wheels. There is no mechanism here that prevents the plane from gaining speed.

The only way to prevent the plane moving is to provide an equal and opposite force, which reacts the engine's thrust. You can't apply any significant longitudinal force through a freely rolling wheel - that's what wheels do!

Number_Cruncher
Take off??? - Dalglish
am i missing something in the original question or am i reading too much in to it.

as i implied before: to me the question posed is simply that the plane is taxing for take off on a runway except that the runway is acting like a treadmill (travelletor) . so however fast the plane tries to move forward to try and reach take-off point, the travelettor keeps it stationary. assuming the plane manages to reach infinite forward speed, the travelettor does the same in the to ensure the plane does not move a millimetre. so there is no air movement over the wings, so the plane cannot fly.

the o.p. needs to come back here and specify exactly what his plane is doing.

Physically, to keep the plane stationary, the simplest way to do that is to use a conventional runway, and hold the brakes of the plane full on.

Other ways to hold the plane still include fastening some rope to the back of the plane, and fastening the rope down. Or, put another identical plane nose to nose with the original plane, so that their thrusts cancel out.

I do agree, the OP does need to clarify the question.

Number_Cruncher
Take off??? - R75
You called..........

The question has just been cut and pasted, it seems it is appearing on various forums at the moment.

Yes you are reading too much into it - forget about brakes etc, you just need to concentrate on the facts. Thrust pushing the plane forward, and the wheels turning underneath it....thats it simple, plane takes off as NC has pointed out in the numerous posts he has made.

Many people seem unable to seperate Thrust from any other form of motive force that in a car would turn the wheels and keep it stationary on a rolling road. But as Thrust acts on the air around it and not on the physical ground the plane is standing on - people have problems.
The conveyor moves at the speed of the wheels rotating. So if the plane begins to move and the conveyor is moving from back to front it will push the wheels against the way they want to go (there's your equal but opposite part) and stop them. Since gravity is pushing the plane down onto the ground (airspeed is nil), the friction between the tyres and the conveyor operates exactly like a brake on the wheels. When a plane's brakes are on it doesn't move until the force from the engines overcomes the friction between tyres and runway. Is there any conventional plane that can take off with all the brakes fully applied?
Ignoring the bit about brakes which I think is not material - If the conveyor moves from the back of the plane towards the front of the plane *and* the wheels aren't rotating, the plane must be moving along with the conveyor. So, it can take off because although the plane isn't moving relative to the conveyor, it is moving relative to the air.

I explain exactly this case in an earlier post above.

The conveyor isn't relevant - it can't stop the plane. With the brakes off, the conveyor can't apply any lonitudinal force to the plane. If the conveyor can't apply longitudinal force, it can't affect the longitudinal motion of the plane. If you draw a free body diagram of the plane, and write out Newton's Second Law of motion for the plane, it should all become clear.

I suspect this exchange could continue for ages, with neither of us being able to convince the other of his error. Perhaps we ought to be civil, and agree to disagree?

Number_Cruncher

Number_Cruncher
Take off??? - Altea Ego
Hmm the question is. would the plane be moving forward relative to air. if the runway was slipping away at exactly the same speed as the wheels were turning would it be moving forwards relative to airflow?

--
Take off??? - Dalglish
i have just spoken to a colleague with a ph.d in aeronautical engineering and aerodynamics from imperial college. he confirms that if the question is as i understood it, the plane would remain stationary realtive to the air around it and to a stationary observer on the ground.

the friend also condirmed what i had said in an earlier thread about convection and the flow of air around a car depending on the relaive speed and direction of the wind to the car's speed and direction.

Take off??? - Mapmaker
Your friend confirmed that if the plane remained stationary then it remained stationary. Bravo to him! How has that moved this forward?
Take off??? - Mapmaker
I think we all agree on these two points.

1. If the plane moves forwards relative to the air, it takes off. If it doesn't, it doesn't.

2. The question is so badly worded that it makes no sense. We can explain '1' to each other until we are blue in the face. We cannot, however, conclude what the wheels and moving runway are doing as 'rotating in opposite directions' does not make any sense!

Given '2', we all have different visualisations of the problem, so cannot draw any concord.
About the only way I can see to make the plane not take off hinges upon the definition of still air.

If the air is defined as being still with respect to the earth, then the plane must take off. The speed of the conveyor is irrelevant.

If the air is defined as being still with respect to the conveyor, then I can envisage a scenario where the relative velocity between the air and aeroplane can be kept at zero, preventing take off, i.e., the conveyor and air move along with the aeroplane.

I've just been laughing at our kitten chasing its tail, thinking "silly little thing". Having re-read my many posts on this monumentally important topic today, I bow to the sense and wisdom of the small cat!

Number_Cruncher

Take off??? - cheddar
I really cannot believe this exchange is still going on. Unless I am missing something it is really quite simple, if the travelator is transporting the plane along the runway it will assist with the take off until the point where the wheels leave the ground, otherwise if it is moving in the opposite direction to the plane then it should not interfere with the take off but for the fact that the planes wheels will have to rotate at a much higher speed than normal which could cause tyre failure and will certainly create a small amount of added friction that the engines will have to counter.

The only point of clarification is that the travelator will not remove or reduce the need for the engines in any respect.
Take off??? - AdrianM
Agreed this puzzle is badly worded as it implies that the conveyor matches the speed of the wheels but with opposite rotation, therefore the plane must be stationary therefore it cannot take off. But, the thrust from the engines acts on the air the push the plane forward it doesn't drive the wheels so the plane must move forward......but it can't move forward because the conveyor will match the wheel speed and there's the paradox.

Consider this more logical version...

"A plane is standing on runway that can move (some sort of band conveyer). The plane moves in one direction, while the conveyer moves in the opposite direction. This conveyer has a control system that tracks the plane speed and tunes the speed of the conveyer to be exactly the same (but in opposite direction)."

This clearly states that the plane is moving, let's say 10mph. The conveyor therefore moves at 10mph in the opposite direction. So the plane is moving at 20mph relative to the conveyor (and so the wheels are spinning at twice the speed of the conveyor). So, if the plane needs to reach 100mph to take off, it will be travelling at 200mph relative to the conveyor...but it will take off.
Take off??? - Stuartli
It's all conjecture. Does it really matter?
Take off??? - cheddar
Does it really matter?

>>

Frankly, not in the least!
paintstripper - The Lawman
I have started to collect vintage fishing reels and have just won an auction on ebay for an Allcock Aerial centrepin reel (1950 vintage).

The paintwork is a little shabby and the reel would really benefit from being stripped of all its paint, down to the bare aluminium. This is done to lots of these reels, and unless the original paintwork is largely undamaged, they look all the better for it.

I do not know what sort of paint it is. The reel itself is definately aluminium. What is the best product/technique for stripping away this paint?
paintstripper - Mapmaker
I do not know, but I have always imagined that - given the reel is aluminium - that the paint is not paint, but anodizing. You cannot remove anodizing.
paintstripper - The Lawman
It's not anodising. May be some kind of laquer, I don't know. I know it's possible to remove the paint because you often see examples of reels where this has been done.
paintstripper - Stuartli
>>What is the best product/technique for stripping away this paint?>>

As aluminimum car bodies are painted, enquiries at a repair workshop might provide a clue.
paintstripper - Stuartli
Some other possibilities:

www.worldseafishing.com/shore/tune_mod.shtml

www.nwepaints.co.uk/

www.uk-finishing.org.uk/trade_name.htm

www.focusdiy.co.uk/stry/diy03&bklist=
paintstripper - mfarrow
If cellulose paints were used, soak the parts in cellulose thinners. Cheap at a good fibreglass supplier.

--------------
Mike Farrow
paintstripper - BB
As Mike says, it all depends on what type of paint / lacquer is used.
Try nail varnish remover which is ethyl / butyl acetate.