Temperature gauges becoming obsolete? - Dynamic Dave

Having seen a post in Technical Matters about a Micra having a light instead of a temperature gauge; are more and more manufacturers going the same way?

Having driven an Astra on and off all week, that also didn't have a temperature gauge either. Recently a friend (who like me, loves his Vauxhalls - as does his wife, son and daughter) was telling me that his wife was about to buy a new Astra until she noticed it was missing the temp gauge. Because of this she changed her mind and went and bought a new Golf instead.

I know that having a light instead of a gauge is by no means new. I once borrowed an old X reg (1981) Audi 80 Coupe several years ago and that had a light instead of a gauge.

What are other people's views on this?

Do you prefer a gauge, or are you happy for a light to come on to indicate the engine is still cold or over heating?

Personally I prefer a gauge, but if the sensors that control the light are reliable, then I guess I could live with a light instead.
Temperature gauges becoming obsolete? - codefarm
I really don't understand this. Oil pressure gauges went away so you now just get a light to tell you the engine's knackered. And now you can't see the temp's rising either? Madness.
Temperature gauges becoming obsolete? - Truckersunite
i would not feel happy owning a car without one, how else do you get early warnings that there are problems with the engines!!!
Temperature gauges becoming obsolete? - turbo11
seems crazy to me,to not have a temp. gauge.last year whilst driving at night up the M40 i noticed my temperature gauge starting to climb(normally,once up to running temp it never moves).i stopped on the hard shoulder and found that a black bin liner was covering my air intake.Once removed the temp came down to normal.
Temperature gauges becoming obsolete? - madf
Based on experience, I prefer both a guage and a warning light.

I blew up the engine of an old Mini - conrod through the side !- when a heater hose split and I had neither a guage or a warning light.

My Audi A4 certainly had a warning light (can't remember about the guage) and when the top main hose decided to part company with the radiator at 70mph on the M6 it falshed and iirc a warning buzzer sounded. I stopped as immediately as I could being in the 3rd lane and passing a car and 2 lorries in the dark (please your honour it was only 70 mph!). Call to AA, reattach hose and fill with water and no damage done.

I would not like to rely on a temperature guage on its own in modern heavy traffic.. if your attention is on the road/avoiding being carved up etc it is easy to miss a movement in temperature on a guage: combined with a warning light and sound much safer.

PS every Mini I drove after the above was either fitted with a temperature guage - as standard - or retrofitted by me...
madf
Temperature gauges becoming obsolete? - Armitage Shanks {p}
So what happens when the bulb in the temp warning light fails? If it has got be a light it must be on steady and start flashing when the engine overheats or change colour; green = temp OK red means too hot. That sounds so complicated a gauge seems like an easier answer!
Temperature gauges becoming obsolete? - P 2501
Yes DD i have noticed this trend too. My sisters punto (T reg) has only a light and some citroens of old do too so it isn't new. I like to see a gauge with, as madf suggests, a warning buzzer and light.

Temperature gauges becoming obsolete? - Truckosaurus
Many water temperature guages on modern cars are also placebo ones that artificially sit at a constant temperature unless the engine gets to 'overheating' levels and then, if you are lucky, it will rise to the red-zone.

I'd happily do away with a guage, just as long as the replacement light had a way of indicating that the coolant was not yet up to operating temperature when you start the car from cold.
Temperature gauges becoming obsolete? - dylan
My Yaris only has a light, and it's annoying. I'd much rather have a gauge.

For example, recently I've noticed the fan coming on more often than previously. At least I think it is, but I'm not sure. If I had a proper temp gauge I could easily tell whether the engine is running hotter than previously.

Temperature gauges becoming obsolete? - Blue {P}
The problem is, as has been said, most gauges are placebo gauges and sit in exactly the same place unless there is a significant change in temperature.

Blue
Temperature gauges becoming obsolete? - henry k
My Yaris only has a light, and it's annoying. I'd much
rather have a gauge.

I use daughters Yaris and I feel a little less easy with it.
IIRC. On start up it shows a red thermometer then turns blue when engine still warming up then disappears - hopefully not to reappear.

IMO the average motorist could not care a stuff about it.
When it breaks - get it fixed, in the meanwhile flog it til the next service or MoT.
Many do not even do a visual check to see if tyres are under
inflated.

Temperature gauges becoming obsolete? - artful dodger {P}
My current car has a temperature gauge an it definitely does move. I know where it should be normally and if I am in a traffic jam in hot weather the needle definitely moves up, but nowhere near the red section. In most weathers I also know it takes just over a mile for the gauge to rise to normal, so the engine is treated very carefully and then not revved hard for several miles further.

So I think a gauge that gives meaningful information is very useful.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to add to the thread.
Temperature gauges becoming obsolete? - expat
Truckosaurus was right when he said many modern gauges are placebos. I was reading that Toyota have adjusted the reading on the temp gauge of the Camrys they export to the Middle East so that it always shows cool because that is what the customers like. There is no change to the engine running temp - just to the readings on the guage.

I had a Mini Moke years ago and I fitted a temp gauge to it. I was very glad of it because the engine did start overheating when it was a long way from anywhere and I had to nurse it to get back to civilisation.
Temperature gauges becoming obsolete? - Happy Blue!
Alfasuds had a red light that was on from cold and gradually flickered out as the engine warmed up. Similar to the LED redline on a BMW M3 which limits maximum revs until the engine gets warm.

I think that some form of light system for cold as well as hot engines would be reasonable if the guage was to disappear from the dashboard.
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Temperature gauges becoming obsolete? - $till $kint
My 1979 VW Polo had a temperature warning light. Flashing red meant overheating whilst solid red meant STOP THE CAR YOU IDIOT!There was a third stage when a flickering Red/Amber/Yellow meant your dashboard had burst into flames.
Temperature gauges becoming obsolete? - L'escargot
I prefer to have a temperature gauge. Amongst other things it can warn you of a malfunctioning thermostat. A high reading can indicate that the thermostat isn't opening as it should, and a low reading can indicate that the thermostat has failed in the open condition ~ the latter is normally the case as thermostats are usually designed to be fail-safe. A low reading can also warn of an airlock in the cooling system and little or no circulation of coolant. (Spot it too late and the cylinder head might become distorted.)

(Heaven forbid that the speedo is ever deleted and you only get a row of lights to indicate that you have exceeded preset speed limits!)
--
L\'escargot.
Temperature gauges becoming obsolete? - Altea Ego
Seem to recall the Citroen DS did not have a temperature gauge.

It had a BIG red traffic light in the middle of the instruments that kight up with the word STOP

seemed to do the trick
Temperature gauges becoming obsolete? - patently
It had a BIG red traffic light in the middle of
the instruments that kight up with the word STOP
seemed to do the trick

Nope. I remember this feature from a 1989 Peugot 405 driven by my dad, a chartered accountant. He wasn't mechanically minded.

One day he mentioned that a light on the dash had been coming on for a few weeks - could I look at it? Off I go - start her up, big red light says STOP! ... and a light for the oil pressure. Dipstick was dry, needless to say.

I took Mum's car to the garage to get some oil.
Temperature gauges becoming obsolete? - David Horn
My Xsara and my brother's 03 Megane both have STOP warnings. However, my brother, bless him, thought it lit up to tell him that the engine wasn't running... ie, stopped. :-)
AS has rasied the real point - that a light is fine so long as everything is working.

Presumably, if a temp guage fails then the needle drops. If I've been driving for a while then I won't believe that and I'll know the guage has failed. If a light bulb that is normally off fails, then it shows the normal output and I'm no wiser.

So I'd rather have the reassurance of a guage.

Also, I drive two cars that don't like being revved hard on a cold engine. If the temp guage is pointless, why is the 911's calibrated in degrees C?
Temperature gauges becoming obsolete? - Imagos
An oil temperature gauge would me more useful. It would frighten you silly how little your oil heats up during most short journeys. IIRC Mercedes C and E class's have these in the Computer menu somewhere.
Temperature gauges becoming obsolete? - Vin {P}
And another point, what happened to the ammeter (sp?) ?? How can I be expected to tell if the battery isn't charging? And what about the little frisson of joy as I start my car and look for the swaying of the needle? Progress? Bah!

I look at my temp gauge every 1,000 miles, at a guess. A light is a much better solution, as it warns you even if your attention hasn't been on your motors internals. Let's face it, a car can easily overheat in five minutes; what are the chances that you'll be looking at your temp gauge at the right time?

How many cars overheat every year because (God help us, what an argument) the bulb has blown on the temp warning light? If it's one a year, I'll eat my hat.

V

And another point, what happened to the ammeter?

At heart, I'm just yearning for the aircraft cockpits that I used to sit in! Every needle lost is a needle missed :-(
Oh my heart yearns for the 1960s dashboard from a Jaguar with lots of Smiths gauges which flickered into life as the key turned, and that lovely switch to choose which fuel tank to use - just like an aeroplane!

That and a cold engine warning light please and I would be happy.. :-)
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Temperature gauges becoming obsolete? - Altea Ego
Round, black with white needle and marking, chrome rings, SMITHS written in the centre, all in a line............Oil pressure(PSI none of this bar carp), Oil temperature (degrees F), water temperature (degrees F), ammeter (-30,0,+30) 60 amps? unheard of)), Big round speedo with 5mph markings, with a blue main beam warning light in it and a green right indicator warning light (shaped like an arrow), and a fuel guage (in GALLONS), Rev counter to its left, with a red ignition warning light and a left facing green arrow.

Thats the way to do it!

ooh RF you're making me all quivery!

Especially with lots of switches in the middle in chrome that flick up and down and not in and out. Suits me sir!
--
Temperature gauges becoming obsolete? - madf
Jaguar guages?
An oil pressure one that did not work due to faulty senders, and a revcounter that became cranky with age?

I preferred my 196 Rover 16: Temperature and oil pressure - two guages in one instrument. Press a button and oil pressure read oil level. And they all worked - all the time.

I think with Jaguars, probability theory suggested the chances of running a three or more year old car with all the guages working more than 2 days a year was 0.000000000000001%.. but that's proabbly optimistic:-)
madf
Temperature gauges becoming obsolete? - turbo11
reading the above is making my palms sweat!
Temperature gauges becoming obsolete? - hillman
The temperature guage is useful in that it will tell you if the engine has run out of water, as used to happen in earlier days when the heasd gasket leaked, or the hose blew. Then the guage stayed on zero. Another method of detection was to check on the heater. If you are bombing down the motorway in winter and suddenly the heater cuts out, you know you have a problem. Look at the temperature guage, it's probably on zero.
Temperature gauges becoming obsolete? - mike hannon
I'm amazed we have got this far down the thread and no-one (that I have noticed) has mentioned the words 'Hillman Imp'!
Maybe I'm just getting too old for the Back room?
Neither one I had boasted a temperature gauge but they didn't really need one - you had to accept that they were overheating for various reasons almost all the time!
And that was just one of the problems.
Strangely, they are among the few (of many) cars I've owned that I remember with affection...
Temperature gauges becoming obsolete? - Manatee
We haven't all forgotten the Imp. I had the Imp and also the Husky estate version - this was much better as there was more room to carry containers of water.
Temperature gauges becoming obsolete? - borasport20
And I'm reasonably certain my Singer Chamois (MK II, if you insist) had a temp gauge.

Temperature gauges becoming obsolete? - RichardP
My 1982 Granada Ghia has a temp. gauge, a oil pressure gauge, a ammeter, a low coolant level light, a low oil level light, a low screen wash light..... I find them handy, especially the temp. gauge as recently the thermostat stuck open and the engine was not warming up properly which could use more fuel and possibly ending up with emulsified oil which could block up the oil ways etc... SWMBO new Micra Dci SVE only has temp. warning lights...I much prefer a proper gauge! I quite like driving the Micra, but I'd rather stick to the granny - at least it starts with a normal key, but then that could be another thread!!!
Temperature gauges becoming obsolete? - Adam {P}
Funny you should mention ammeters. I've only ever (knowingly) been in two cars with them.

One was a good number of years ago in my Uncle's Opel Manta.

The other was last night in my uncle's Warrior. (God I love that truck).

With regards to the light or temperature gauge, I wouldn't care. The light does the exact same job so it wouldn't bother me.

Got to keep the tacho though.
--
Adam
Temperature gauges becoming obsolete? - Smileyman
Back in the 80's I ran a Maestro that had a temperature gauge and a warning light for high engine temperature. The light always flashed too soon - a warm day stuck in a traffic queue for instance.
I changed the Maestro for a 360 Volvo. This also had both gauge and orange light that flashed rapidly to warn if the engine got too warm (But thankfully not on warm days when stuck in traffic)

IMO the Volvo solution is best ... easy to moniter the norm but a clear warning if exceptional situation ocurs.
Temperature gauges becoming obsolete? - Adam {P}
Temperature gauges have a flaw though. When my Fiesta caught fire, the only clue was the flames licking up from under the bonnet and the smoke. The gauge never even moved! No lights - nothing!
--
Adam
Temperature gauges becoming obsolete? - Bromptonaut
Agree best solution is gauge and light, preferably with an audible alarm as well.

Temp (and RPM) are both parameters measured by the engine management thingy. In an ideal world the LCD dash display would be user configurable to show full or minimal instrumentation in analogue or digital formats. Roll on the glass cockpit!!!!
Temperature gauges becoming obsolete? - just a bloke
:) Well if we're playing who has guages....

Both my Alfa's have Temp, Voltage and Oil Presure gauges. With a nod in the direction of the other thread they also have Tacho's.
I like 'em!

With lights.. by the time they're shining it's too late.

;) JaB