What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XXVII - Dynamic Dave

****** Thread closed. Please see vol XXVIII for further discussions. ******

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=31155

Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XXVI is closed and this thread has been started.

For the continued discussions around the subject of speeds & speeding, usually excluding cameras which are in another thread.

Older versions will not be deleted, so there is no need to repost any old stuff.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18848

DD,
BackRoom Moderator
Unadopted Roads - Speed limits - pmh
What is the law relating to speed limits on unadopted roads? the road in question is poorly maintained, does not have frequent lamp standards, and has no indication of speed limit after entering from a 40 mph restricted A road.

I ask the question because an enthusiastic "community policeman" (or whatever they are called), appeared to be upset at me (for driving at certainly not more than 35 mph) and made slowing down signs. The road was perfectly clear with good 100m vision of the road ahead. I think he was accompanied by a second regular policeman. I had seen them early enough since they were both wearing hivis jackets and walking on the grass verge on the oncoming side of the road.
--
pmh (was peter)

Unadopted Roads - Speed limits - Pugugly {P}
If they are part of the general road infrastructure (i.e. no restriction on access to the public) the accepted norm would be that an unadopted road would be a road under the Road Traffic Act. (i.e. you speed and get caught going over the limit you re liable to be booked), you could in theory drive round with no tax and they couldn't touch you (except possibly for breaching a SORN) but you'd need insurance and an MoT.
Unadopted Roads - Speed limits - Dwight Van Driver
Interesting this one PU - trust phm to come up with it.

As an unadopted road then the Council (Highways) will have little interest in it. So what are the chances that it is not named in the Order making the speed limit?

From what pmh states, because of the state of the street lighting
"restricted road" definition does not apply.

DVD
Unadopted Roads - Speed limits - L'escargot
As far as I know, unadopted roads are private roads that are owned by the owners of the properties on that road. So if you speed on an unadopted road, you are speeding on private property. It's similar in principle to speeding on someone's drive. The last property I owned was on an unadopted road, and the part of the road that I owned was clearly stated in the deeds. There were clauses in the deeds covering joint maintenance of the road, and restrictions on parking on the road for certain of the owners depending on the position of their property. The properties had council services such as street lighting and refuse collection, but the roadway itself was the sole concern of the houseowners. Fortunately it was a cul-de-sac and it wasn't long enough for anyone to speed on.
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Caught speeding - P 2501
Hello

I was caught speeding yesterday, doing around 45-50 mph in a 40 limit by a mobile speed trap. No excuses, i have no intention of challenging it, but i was wondering how this might affect my insurance premium. No priors at all, so will the 3 points bump my premium up?

Apologies if this has been discuused before - i couldn't find anything in the forum search.
Caught speeding - Garethj
Pretty unlikely to affect your premium, there are so many cameras catching so many people that 3 points is quite common. Didn't affect my premium when they went on, or when they came off!
Caught speeding - P 2501
Thanks for the reply Garethj. i was thinking (hoping) that with three points being so common, that insurance companies tend to overlook them.

No doubt someone will be along to say that their premium went through the roof after 3 points.
Caught speeding - Duchess
As Gareth says, it shouldn't affect your premium as most insurers will disregard one 3-point penalty in a specific number of years. But make sure you tell the insurer as soon as the points are applied and don't wait until renewal. It would be pretty mean but failure to notify could be used to reject a claim.

Caught speeding - P 2501
Good point Duchess.I had considered this,and when i receive the points i will declare all to the insurers.
Caught speeding - doctorchris
If your car is in a high insurance group the points may add up to 25% to the premiums. I found this on my group 15 Terrano which is hardly a high performance car. However after one year the premium dropped back again. This might, though, have been due to the car by then being over 5 years old.
Caught speeding - P 2501
No,the car is just a ins group 4 pug 306. Interesting how the premium dropped again after a year,i would have thought that the rise would stay until the points came off?

Might be because they thought 1 year was punishment enough but as I said in the post the car was by then over 5 years old and insurers often provide a discount for older cars as they are less valuable.
Caught speeding - Adam {P}
Chris, did you have any previous points?
--
Adam
No previous points but maybe the offence, in my case speeding in motorway road works 50mph zone, makes a difference as it has a very vague offence code. Renewing my Wife's Jazz and my daughter's Fiesta the following year after, both had clocked up 3 points, made no difference to premiums on their relatively low group cars.
Caught speeding - BazzaBear {P}
insurers often provide a discount for
older cars as they are less valuable.

Are you sure about that?
I got far cheaper insurance quoted for a brand new, group 20, £30k 350Z than for a 6 year old, group 19, £5k Fiat Coupe.
The only reason I could work out was that they put insurance UP for older models (owners less likely to be careful perhaps?)
Caught speeding - P 2501
I must admit, i hadn't heard of this either.But then again i tend to buy my cars at 5 years old anyway so i would never know.
Caught speeding - SlightlyFatRep
I am insured on my wifes Fiesta '99 1.25 LX as a named driver (I have a company car).

When we declared that I had just got 3 points for speeding on a motorway (the only points I have had for 15 years) in my company car, the insurance company put the renewal premium up by over £40 on the Fiesta. This was just because of the points.

It still worked out as the cheapest quote we got, but I was staggered that it had an impact.
Caught speeding - Canon Fodder

maybe the Fiat is much more likely to be nicked Bazza, as security of 6 years ago possibly much inferior to that of today?

CF
Caught speeding - Bill Payer
If you were doing an indicated 45-50MPH, then with a bit of over-reading on your speedo you might have got away with it.

I'm in the that position having been zapped on Saturday doing indicated high 70's on a pretty new, high-standard, pedestrian free, deserted dual carriageway. I'd be mortified to be nicked speeding past a school etc, but I'm *very* miffed about where I was caught - it does nothing for road-safety whatsoever.
Caught speeding - commerdriver
On a nober of modern cars I have driven in the last couple of years the speedo has been within 2-3 mph at around 70, very easy to get caught out thinking 79 on the clock is only slightly over 70 true.
Caught speeding - P 2501
Sorry to hear you are in a similar position to me Bill Payer.I have considered the possibility of my speedo overreading, but i am pretty convinced that at some point during the time i was being zapped i hit 50 mph.Impossible to say for sure how fast i was going exactly,but i reckon i did hit 50.

I know how you feel re the road safety aspect.Where i sped is a completely straight stretch of the A6, with very light traffic early on a sunday AM. But i refuse to make excuses or complain - i have done the "crime" and i am prepared to take the punishment.
Caught speeding - Bill Payer
I *think* I'd feel the same if caught in a 30/40 etc, but I'm hopping mad about were I was caught. Although once seen, the camera operator was obvious, he was sneakily positioned so as not to stand out.

BTW, my insurance company, Frizzell (Liverpool Victoria) don't care about points at all, they only want to know if you've ever been banned. However I've just renewed my insurance and I tried several on-line quotes with and without points and it generally made £50 or so difference (on a typically £500 quote).
Caught speeding - teabelly
I'm with LV/Frizzell too so that's handy to know. They did get my renewal quote wrong this year so as soon as I change anything I'll get stung as they underquoted by something stupid like £500 (I'm only paying £150 for a group 20 car, oops :-) ) so I hope nothing happens!
teabelly
Caught speeding - buzbee
Direct Line charged £21 at the time of reporting a first 3 points but did not increase the premium at renewal time. IIRC, from a previous discussion on here, Tesco did not charge for the first 3 points. If you get bumped it might be time to shop around.
Caught speeding - martint123
Odd about Direct Line. When I declared 3 points it made no difference. Fortunately nor did it make a difference to the other two bike policies!.
Caught speeding - P 2501
If you get bumped it might be time to shop around.

-Very good advice.Thanks again to all who replied.
20mph speed limts for London? - NowWheels
"Majority of Londoners support 20mph speed limit

In a MORI survey commissioned by the Mayor of London, 60 per cent of people supported the introduction of a 20mph speed limit on residential streets with just 27 per cent opposed. 85 per cent of people supported the introduction of a 20mph limit outside schools with just 10 per cent opposed. The current maximum speed limit on many London streets is 30mph.
[snip]
"

The press release includes more details on the polling results

www.london.gov.uk/view_press_release.jsp?releaseid...4

20mph speed limts for London? - Malcolm_L
Don't have a problem with this as long it's mandatory - this would then be an improvement on existing average speeds.
20mph speed limts for London? - Truckersunite
Yep, am more then happy with that, but personally I don't go above 15mph out side schools, I can live with being 15sec later, but could not live with hitting a child.
20mph speed limts for London? - A. Badger
I wouldn't trust any poll commissioned by Ken Livingstone - regardless of which organisation carried it out.

Many polls are flawed. Some seem designed to elicit a required response. One would need a great deal of information before trusting anything coming from the man who is on record as saying he would, if he could, ban cars altogether.
20mph speed limts for London? - Altea Ego
Hey come on - whats the average speed in London anyway? Cant see a problem with a 20mph limit. Sensibly applied that is.
"Hey come on - whats the average speed in London anyway.."

That depends on the time of day, doesn't it? A 20mph limit at 1 a.m. would be daft - but all too typical of the way TFL deliberately impedes traffic flows throughout London to serve their ideological goals.

20mph speed limts for London? - Malcolm_L
Reading the original posting, the 20mph limit was for residential streets not major routes.

Your 1 a.m. rant is meaningless, 30mph or 20mph doesn't make any difference at 1 a.m but the limit isn't put in place for 1 a.m. traffic flows is it?
20mph speed limts for London? - spikeyhead {p}
Reading the original posting, the 20mph limit was for residential streets not major routes.

But many major routes through London have houses either side, making them residential.
Your 1 a.m. rant is meaningless, 30mph or 20mph doesn't make
any difference at 1 a.m but the limit isn't put in
place for 1 a.m. traffic flows is it?

and as someone who regularly drives through London at 3am, its bad enough having to stick to 30mph. 20 would be just too slow.
--
I read often, only post occasionally
"Your 1 a.m. rant is meaningless,.."

Amazing how any opposition to the anti-car Livingtstone's war on motorists becomes a "rant".

As someone else has said, many roads classed as "residential" are vital routes for London's traffic.

As the 20mph limit you appear to be so in favour of wouldn't be time-related, it would most certainly impede traffic flows at night.

If anyone doubts this, I recommend a drive through London outside of bus lane hours. Watch how motorists avoid using them at any time at all, because they don't want to run the risk of a penalty and have no idea what time they are in effect.

Of course (and just like the proposed 20mph limit) many of these bus lanes seem to exist as a form of self-fulfilling prophesy. They cause congestion - the very problem they are disingenuously claimed to "cure".
20mph speed limts for London? - JamesH
I don't believe those stats, even though MORI should be capable of an unbiased poll.

I think the mention of schools - even though the first question is general - swayed people into agreeing. If you ask most people whether they want a reduced limit outside their local school or on the street they live, they'll agree. Rephrase the question to a residential road without a school that you drive on regularly but don't live on and I'm sure far fewer will want to slow down.

There is a 20mph limit for a reasonable distance in Coulsdon. It's residential, but a through route. When I drive there, I try to stick to the limit, but it almost always causes huge frustration - or almost road rage a couple of times - to the people behind.

I could guess that 90% using that road in London wouldn't want that limit spread elsewhere if they have to stick to it.

I personally think a variable 20mph limit with an electronic sign that is only activated during school start and end would be very effective. These electronic signs have been found to slow people down, but there would be no need to drop the speed so much when there are no children about and therefore the sign is off.

James
20mph speed limts for London? - helicopter
'There is a 20mph limit for a reasonable distance in Coulsdon. It's residential, but a through route. When I drive there, I try to stick to the limit, but it almost always causes huge frustration - or almost road rage a couple of times - to the people behind.'

James H -If this is the road I think it is , the one going from Coulsdon Lion Green Road to Wallington, the 20 speed limit is only a hundred yards or so and you suddenly come to it in a dip in the road. It is by a school and ISTR they have a speed camera, calming and a lollipop lady in there as well at school time?

How much do they need that 20 mph limit during most of the day ?

I'm all in favour of 20mph limits outside schools at set times but the idea of a 20mph blanket is ludicrous. How do you define what is a residential road or a through road for a start.Its another of Kens fantasies I'm afraid. I'm just so glad I don't live in London.

20mph speed limts for London? - frostbite
"I recommend a drive through London outside of bus lane hours. Watch how motorists avoid using them at any time at all, because they don't want to run the risk of a penalty and have no idea what time they are in effect."

This is so true, mainly because motorists simply don't have the luxury of being able to read the signs with all the other more pressing things requiring attention.

A simple solution would be red/green lights operated by a simple timer on the signs - but that wouldn't earn any money, would it?
20mph speed limts for London? - Sofa Spud
>>I recommend a drive through London outside of bus lane hours. Watch how motorists avoid using them at any time at all, because they don't want to run the risk of a penalty and have no idea what time they are in effect."

I never drive in any bus lanes at any time, nor do most other motorists / goods drivers round here. A few idiots do go in bus lanes during restricted times or even PARK in them, though. While one is allowed to use some bus lanes outside the prohibition periods, there is little point as traffic is usually more free-flowing anyway and people wonder what you're doing.

Cheers, Sofa Spud
"
I never drive in any bus lanes at any time, nor do most other motorists / goods drivers round here"

Really? And what part of the country would that be in?

The very idea of bus lanes having limited hours is to allow traffic to make proper use of the width of the road when busses are deemed not to have priority. In parts of London, not doing so isn't just discourteous driving - it's plain bad driving.

Why ever wouldn't you want to make proper use of the road?
20mph speed limts for London? - L'escargot
A simple solution would be red/green lights operated by a simple
timer on the signs - but that wouldn't earn any money,
would it?

Au contraire, it would cost money.
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Roadworks speed limits - BobbyG
This week I have encountered 2 ridiculous limits / advisory limits.

Monday driving down the M8 at 9pm, usual lanes coned off for overnight roadworks, and the CITRAX signs were advising a limit of 20 mph! 20 mph on a Motorway at 9 o'clock at night! Why? Of course, everyone was still driving at 50 mph as the road was deserted, if you had been doing 20mph you would probably have ran the risk of being hit by someone else not expecting a car to be crawling along in 3rd gear on a deserted motorway!

Also, on A1 coming out of Edinburgh, roadworks on cutting dual carriageway down to single lane but speed limit of 30 mph! Why?

In both cases I feel that 50mph is a safe figure and probably one that people would have kept to. However, am I the only one that feels the more ridiculous a limit that is posted, the more chance it will be ignored?

The M8 one is only advisory I know, and the cynic in me says that Lothian & Borders Police will probably have had a word in the 30 agreement but I just feel the more you call driver's "bluff" the more chance you have of the limit being totally ignored!
Roadworks speed limits - Adam {P}
Bobby,

You find enough difficulty finding people obeying the 20mph in ordinarily 30mph sections let alone the Motorway!

What a joke. Quite often around here, on the M58, they'll leave the signs flashing 30. No accident - 3am, 12 noon 5pm - all times they've been on. Before people say "there could be an accident further up" - there isn't. I travel the whole length of the motorway!
--
Adam
Roadworks speed limits - v8man
It's the same with any law that commands little respect; it will be universally ignored. This is the whole problem with this governments ridiculous "speed kills" nosense. Drivers understand that 30 or 20mph past a school in school hours make sense so they largely respect it. 20mph on a motorway though is absurd so will be ignored.
--
\"Nothing less than 8 cylinders will do\"
Roadworks speed limits - JH
It's crazy, but it's not just speed limts, it's road signs too, on motorways and everywhere else. They put them up, they never take them down. On A roads you see "Road works ahead", "New road layout ahead" etc etc. They go up, two years later they're still there. So you slowly learn to ignore the warning signs. How hard can it be to switch off a motorway matrix sign ? Or to pick up a tin sign and throw it in the back of a Tranny ?

My limited experience of complaining left me so far down the sub contractor chain it was unbelievable. The company I work for provides servics to customers and we use sub contractors but if the customer complains they complain to me and I have to sort it out. I wouldn't get far trying to fob them off with the sub contractor. So how do councils & covernment get away with it ?

John
Roadworks speed limits - kithmo
20 MPH on a motorway !! what next traffic lights ?
IMO common sense would designate that if the highway code states a minimum speed limit of 30 MPH on the motorway (if it still does ?) then an area of roadworks that requires a lesser speed for the sake of safety, should be closed and diversions put in place !.
Roadworks speed limits - Adam {P}
Can't argue with that.
--
Adam
Roadworks speed limits - WhiteTruckMan
And yet quite often I sit in 3 lanes bumper to bumper stationary traffic and see 40 or even 50 on the matrix signs....

WTM
Roadworks speed limits - BobbyG
It's crazy, but it's not just speed limts, it's road signs too, on motorways and everywhere else. They put them up, they never take them down. On A roads you see "Road works ahead", "New road layout ahead" etc etc. They go up, two years later they're still there. So you slowly learn

On the stretch of A1 that I am referring to, there is a sign for the bus shuttle into Edinburgh proudly announcing "opens summer 2002"
Roadworks speed limits - spinner
There's a 40mph limit/roadworks/cones on the start of the M11 - from the A12/A406, and lo and behold there have already been several accidents.
Probably because of the mix of drivers who usually ignore the 50 limit usually in place there, and the slow-coaches who are sticking to the limit. Combined with the merging roads that come onto the M11 - this is a lethal combination. There also isn't any work obviously in progress either - ridiculous and dangerous.
Roadworks speed limits - mfarrow
There's a 40mph limit/roadworks/cones on the start of the M11 -
from the A12/A406, and lo and behold there have already been
several accidents.

Which is exactly why we need lower speed limits of 20mph of course... :-)

--------------
Mike Farrow
Roadworks speed limits - Frankoids
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the legal situation re a speed limit posted with signs, say 50 mph, but with the cones removed to the side of the road/central reservation does the speed limit still apply?

If it doesn't why don't they remove the temporary signs as well as the cones, they're not that heavy are they?

If it does, why does it?
Roadworks speed limits - Dwight Van Driver
A speed limit that you mention Frank will be a temporary limit brought in to cater for the road works and it will be mentioned in the Order dates of validity.

During the time of the road works ir remains valid.

BUT, when the road works have been COMPLETED, not just suspended, then the restriction ceases.

There have been cases where persons have been prosecuted where a temporary limit has ceased because works completed and signs were left out. Get out clause is within the Traffic Signs and General Directions Regs.

DVD
Roadworks speed limits - Frankoids
Thanks DVD

Ahh the "Traffic Signs and General Directions Regs 2002" - I just used that to answer a question on another thread re flashing lights on the M74.

I will go back and have a look at it again, but before I trawl through it, just to nail this one right down and apologies once again for gross stupidity/haven't I already told you etc. :)

As an example say roadworks were scheduled on a dual carriageway, say one lane coned of, for the month of April, but were always removed to the side of the road each weekend enabling the 2 lanes again to be used.......

1 - Would the temporary speed limit would still apply at the weekend even though the road is back to 2 lanes?

2 - In the following May with works completed,cones all collected up, but temporary speed limits still displayed, although it may be the road contractor's error and no sensible reason for the limit to still be imposed does that limit still apply? Which seems to be what your saying.
Roadworks speed limits - Dwight Van Driver
It will depend what is in the Order. Generally 24/7 but nothing to stop them stating Monday to Friday but that would mean taking the signs down each weekend - labour intensive and costly.
If you have a local paper check the Public Notices section where such Orders are advertised (a requirement) which will give you some idea of one.

If you have access to TSGD then look at Reg 36 - restriction on the placing of a temporary sign. Remember that Sign No 670 which appears in Sch 1 to 11, is one showing the limit and required where there is a temporary limit.

DVD
What's the speed limit? - daveyjp
I used a road last night which has a thirty limit for part of it's length and then once leaving a village goes to 50. At the present time the '50' sign is covered with hessian and the first repeater on a lampost is also covered. There is then a sign with a yellow background attached to one of the lamposts which says there is construction work (they are building some houses and access from the estate is on to the 50 section). The sign has a 30 limit symbol printed on it, but it has a yellow background and the words 'maximum advised limit' printed underneath. After the development site the repeaters continue uncovered.

So for the small stretch before the 50 repeater sign reappears is the limit:

a) 50 even though the sign is covered?
b) 30 which can result in a ticket because the 50 signs are covered up thereby extending the 30 zone currently enforce in the village?
c) 30 which is unenforceable because the 30 sign has a yellow background
d) NSL as there is no other limit posted until the repeater
e) None of the above!

What's the speed limit? - Adam {P}
I could be wrong but I think in this case is hasto be 50. I take it you could see the 50 or did you guess?

Somewhere around here there's a "20" sign but in a black circle. No-one pays the slightest bit of attention because a) It's not a compulsory limit and b) It's not compulsory!

You have to look at it the other way. Say the 30 sign was covered up. What speed would you do then?
--
Adam
I know it's fifty as I use the road quite regularly.
What's the speed limit? - Altea Ego
In the absence of any sign telling you otherwise, the last correctly placed conforming to regulations speed limit sign applies.

(thats not one that you know says 50 but is covered up)

It sounds like that if you got pulled there tho, there is enough confusion and irregularity to get away with it in court.
What's the speed limit? - Dwight Van Driver
Presumably the entrance to the village is signed down to a 30 mph
restriction?

At the 30/50 covered sign I take it that there is no return to NSL sign.

What is the state of street lighting at that point. Presence of 5O repeaters tends to confirm these are present. If present not more than 200 yards approx apart then it could be classsed as a restricted road i.e. 30 mph until end of street lighting.

Looks as if LA are in the process of making an order covering the introduction of a 50 limit,which when in force they should remove the hessian and make lawful. Seen anything about the Order in your local paper - Public Notices section?

Contractors advisory 30 is non standard as it does comply with sign 670 TSGD so cannot be enforced but presence could be used to support a due care if the need arose.

Suggest in the interest of your fellow road users you have a word either with LA or local Plod on misleading signage.

DVD
DVD - The 50 limit is the current posted limit for the road after the 30 zone. A couple of years ago the 30 zone was extended by a hundred metres or so out of the village (to give those who refused to slow more chance of doing so before reaching a school) and the rest of the road reduced from NSL to 50. Street lighting is the same for the whole length of the road - both in the village and in the 50 zone which is for 3 miles or so.

I imagine that when the houses are finished the 50 signs will be uncovered and clarity will return - or the 30 zone could be extended further so the new junction to the houses is in the newly extended 30 zone. For now confusion shall reign!
What's the speed limit? - Garethj
I bet if you do 30 you'll get tailgated and honked at by all the locals who know it used to be 50! Mob rule in action, until there's a camera...
What's the speed limit? - Dwight Van Driver
They move in a mysterious fashion. They may have covered the 50 up so that they can extend the 30 due to the restricted road 30 by virtue of steetlighting. To do so they will need an Order as it appears from what you say there was a 50 Order in place beforehand.

Sounds an ideal place for a bit of handhyeld by Plod?????

DVD
What's the speed limit? - machika
If they are extending the thirty limit, it should be clearly marked, not left to someone to work out from ambiguous and confusing signs. So they should move the existing 30 mph limit sign from where it is, on entering the village, to where they wish the 30 mph limit to start.
What's the speed limit? - cockle {P}
It would appear that all the info you've given is in regard to the direction of travel being leaving the village, leaving the 30 limit and entering the 50.
Out of interest what is the situation in the other direction? If the 30 limit had been extended, temporarily or otherwise, correctly with an appropriate order then a 30 limit sign would need to be displayed at the beginning of the new zone as you enter the village from the 50 limit. From what you are describing this sounds like a bit of creative traffic management carried out unofficially by the builders, if so then no force in law.
A quick call to the Highways dept of your local council will soon confirm the existence, or not, of an appropriate order.

Cockle
What's the speed limit? - machika
Much as I said really.
Ridiculously low Scottish speed limits. - livefortheday
Just come back from Scotland. Travelled from Perth to Prestwick on the other side of the country.

Struck by how ridiculously low and how well enforced the speed limits were. 40 -50 max on most dual carriageways and three lane roads. Lots of cameras and two mobile units over the 100 miles stretch.

Because they are so low, it is really difficult to keep within them over a long distance as the road naturally favours at least a 60 mph limit.
Ridiculously low Scottish speed limits. - daveyK_UK
the answer is simple - dont vote labour, lib dem or any other socialist party.

Ridiculously low Scottish speed limits. - NowWheels
the answer is simple - dont vote labour, lib dem or
any other socialist party.

The members of labour or the libdems would die laughing if told that their parties were socialist -- though many Labour members would say "if only".

In any case, livefortheday talks of returning from Scotland, so I presume has no vote there. Some transport issues are devolved -- not sure to what extent this one is.

But surely it's up to the Scots to set whatever speed limits they want?

Ridiculously low Scottish speed limits. - borasport20
wrote to my MP, a certain Mr Ian McCartney, recently (on the subject of the availability of biodiesel, to keep to a motoring theme !), and his official House of Commons notepaper does not mention the labour party - it says -

Ian McCartney
Socialist M.P.

p.s. - his response to the biodiesel query was to forward it to Patricia Hewitt, whose reply was utterly incomprehensible and probably irrelevant to my question

Ridiculously low Scottish speed limits. - patently
The members of labour or the libdems would die laughing if
told that their parties were socialist -- though many Labour members
would say "if only".

Not now that there's an election. Their answer will now depend on who is asking. :-D
Ridiculously low Scottish speed limits. - Tomo

"The members of labour or the libdems would die laughing if told that their parties were socialist -- though many Labour members would say "if only"."

From where I stand - though I can only speak of their anti-motoring antics in this forum, which form only one of the avenues of expressing their spite against the rest of us - they are all socialists.

This view comes from experience, having been stuck in Scotland all my life (I had hoped to escape in retirement but my wife's illness put paid to that).
Ridiculously low Scottish speed limits. - Rishab C
Stalinist, not Socialist!
I'm itching to write a long post on socialists who are trying not to be but can't help themselves ..... but I can't think of a motoring link....

:-(

So I won't.
Ridiculously low Scottish speed limits. - meditek
Unterfeurer Fatty Two Jags Prescott,perhaps?
Ridiculously low Scottish speed limits. - codefarm
Good luck finding a non-socialist party with a chance of winning in the UK!
Ridiculously low Scottish speed limits. - Davy_S {P}
It's just so you don't kill any wild Haggis!!!!

It's OK. I'll leave now.
--
Davy S.

Oops, where did that screw go!!
Ridiculously low Scottish speed limits. - Tomo
" It's just so you don't kill any wild Haggis!!!!"

Left handed or right handed?
Ridiculously low Scottish speed limits. - frazerjp
More like so you dont crash into the mountains maybe?
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
Ridiculously low Scottish speed limits. - madf
Scottish speed limits are low because all intelligent Scots have emigrated, leaving the remaining population unsafe to drive at any speed:-)

(I emigrated in 1972:-)

madf

Ridiculously low Scottish speed limits. - frazerjp
Well i have Celtic blood, but hasnt that old part of the brain (as Jezza mentioned in one of his speed programs) evolved out by now?
--
Its not what you drive, its how you drive it! :-)
Ridiculously low Scottish speed limits. - BobbyG
If you travelled from Perth to Prestwick then I am guessing two of the roads you are referring to are the A9 at Perth and the M77 between Glasgow and Prestwick.

A9 has numerous speed cameras and unfortunately has a long record of fatal crashes on it. It switches between dual and single carriageways on its full length, one minute you can be blasting along at 60mph, the next stuck behind 4 tractors.

Without sounding patronising, the fatalities are regularly tourists travelling on the road for the first time. The locals know how bad it is and that it needs treated with care, unfortunately tourists don't.

On the M77, AFAIK, the speed limit coming out of Glasgow is due to noise levels, which were part of the initial agreement to allowing the road to be built. For those of you who have not travelled on it, without a word of a lie, it goes from a 3 lane motorway with a 50mph speed limit, and then this narrows down to a standard single lane carriageway and the speed limit increases to 60 mph!

Further on from that though, there has been long term roadworks where the limit is down to 40 mph and believe me, it justifies it. Especially in the dark when you are trying to follow cats eyes as the road is detoured along hillsides etc. Again, one of the reasons for the road works here is the large number of fatalities on the road. At one stage on the road you have a dual carriageway with NSL in operation but nothing to separate the opposite traffic other than a thick white line. Very scary stuff.

And yes, lots of speed cameras and according to the press last week, is going to be the site of the first SPECS cameras in Scotland.
Ridiculously low Scottish speed limits. - livefortheday
Thank you for the explanation. You are correct on the roads I used.

I still stand by my initial post that having 100 miles of mainly good dual carriageway and A road limited to 50mph max over the vast majority of its length is unsafe. It leads to frustration and I spent all my time worrying about mph and not getting caught speeding as opposed to the overall safety picture.

If the above makes it sound like I can't chew gum and walk at the same time, I would ask anyone reading this to stick on dual carriageway, A-roads and motorways at 50mph max for 100 miles and see if you can do it. It is pretty difficult, pointless and concentrates the mind on one area. Also, I can't help feeling that the amount of cameras in use meant it was a revenue earner and not for safety. Especially as the two mobile cameras were positioned 300 yards or so from the brief areas of national speed limit.
Ridiculously low Scottish speed limits. - Stuartli
Virtually every speed camera is a revenue earner - road safety has little to do with it judging by the positioning of most of them.

Where I live there are two speed cameras in a particular 30mph zone. The road itself is capable of easily carrying five lanes, there are wide grass verges on both sides separating the pavements from the road and the only logical reason for the cameras is to make money.

I say that as accidents have been very few and far between over the years and have almost invariably involved stolen cars in the early hours.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
I say that as accidents have been very few and far
between over the years and have almost invariably involved stolen cars
in the early hours.

But the accidents happened ... and, let's face it, the joyriders were probably going too fast. So the accident is recorded as speed-related.

And if you then apply a set of rules blindly, you find yourself installing speed cameras in order to catch joyriders. Naturally, the registered keeper will be able to identify the joyrider two weeks later :-)

And if he can't, you could always prosecute for failure to inform... :-D
113mph and keep your licence - NowWheels
Got 6 points already for speeding? Been nicked for doing 113mph on an A-road?

An ordinary mortal might expect to lose her licence ... but it seems that there are different rules if you are a Tory peer.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/4449673.stm
113mph and keep your licence - Robin Reliant
Good heavens, NW. You're not suggesting some sort of "Bias", are you?
Good heavens, NW. You're not suggesting some sort of "Bias", are you?

Of course not!

Now that we see how it works, any backroomer whose speed inadvertently drifts from 60mph to 113 ought to know that all they need to do is to promptly join the House of Lords, and their licence is safe.

There isn't even much of a probationary period: Lord Howard of Rising only became a peer last year.
113mph and keep your licence - Stuartli
>>An ordinary mortal might expect to lose her licence>>

As Lord Howard appears to be male, presumably you meant his/her...:-)

But the message such a decision gives is not good, although I was always taught the maxim: "Speed in the right place at the right time."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
>> An ordinary mortal might expect to lose her licence
As Lord Howard appears to be male, presumably you meant his/her...:-)

Well, I did think that maybe there is also a boys-will-be-boys rule applying here :)
113mph and keep your licence - volvoman
Look everyone I think you're all being unfair. I mean this guy was only hurrying so much because of all the charitable work he does for everyone. I really think there should be one law for those of a charitable bent and one for the rest of us. Perhaps there could be new speed limit signs made up showing the limit for the unworthy and another much higher figure for those on their way to charity events. What about separate lanes on the motorways so we don't impede their charitable progress?
113mph and keep your licence - MichaelR
Presumably his license is crucial for his job.

Given this, an 'ordinary mortal' would have had the same treatment - indeed a friend of mine was stopped for 115mph and given 6 points and a heft fine instead of a ban.

But hey, its more fun to think its a huge conspiracy, right?
113mph and keep your licence - Adam {P}
I see two sides to this. Alright - naughty boy. But let's not lock him up. He never killed anyone after all. And let's be honest, even if he had he wouldn't get locked up; and I'm not saying that because of who he is.

Don't get me wrong. I am not condoning those speeds for one moment although I can see how prevailing conditions, time of day* and vehicle could make that speed perfectly ok.

StuartLi said something about "speed at the right place at the right time". Maybe he did. After all, no-one got hurt.

Gotta agree with Michael on this. It's not like he hasn't been punished at all. You can all rest in the knowledge that his next trangression of a speed limit will ban him.

I'm eager to put across that I'm neither condoning nor condemning him.

Go on - attack me.

*Interested to see how the time of day has been missed out from that article as has his car.

--
Adam
Well IF his licence is crucial to his job he ought to cherish it and be a bit more careful! I mean it's not easy to do nearly double the motorway speed limit accidentally is it.
I agree VM. But when have we ever done the right thing all the time?

--
Adam
You're right of course Adski, we all make mistakes and break rules from time to time but would you have been treated so leniently, even if you were on your way to do charitable work like helping me sort out my PC problems? :)

Incidentally, do we know what he was doing at the time of the offence? Was he on his way to a vitally important charity event or had he just popped out to pick up a take-away?

If it wasn't his first speeding offence it seems to me that he shouldn't have been given the benefit of any doubt let alone special treatment - certainly not at the speed he was travelling.

Oh, despite the above, I'd like to apologise for slightly overstating the offence - he was only doing 1.614x the motorway speed limit on an A road.
Fair point VM and I would expect some sort of leniency for PC repair callouts! ;-)

Answer me this though - would it change your opinion at all had the offence been committed at 1am on a deserted A road?

If not, then fair enough - I will concede to your opinion. If so, then you see my point.
--
Adam
Not really at that speed Adski - it's all very well claiming a road's deserted but how the hell does anyone who hasn't got the ability to see into the future know that for certain. Make no mistake if our peer wants to do 113mph on his estate and take the chance of killing himself I couldn't care less but if he wants to use public roads then he should respect the law and someone who sits in the House of Lords ought to know that better than most.
I should point out that I do agree with you VM. I'm just not explaining myself very well.

113 is stupid. I'm not saying I agree with a ban for that speed (on a motorway at least) but I am agreeing that it is dangerous - not least on a non-motorway road. If he was doing it at any other time of day then the dead of night then I think he deserves more of a fine.

However, (and I know this is going to be controversial, to the point where I can't believe I'm going to say it) but the way I see it is, let's say he was doing 80. Would there be such uproar? Yet if he hit someone, they're dead. You see where I'm going with this?

Again, I'll reiterate how I do agree with you. I'm just trying to provoke some nice, healthy debate.

:-)
--
Adam
113mph and keep your licence - Tomo
"113 is stupid."

Oh for goodness sake! A person I know of (but whose name I of course forget!) who has pursued his hobby and driven with due regard to conditions - often slower than has pleased some other drivers - in well maintained vehicles all his life and never hurt anyone has done over 150 in safety not too long ago. He would be perfectly in charge toddling along at 113.

The real offence to many, of course, is to enjoy motoring.

This is getting to be an anti-motoring site, sometimes.
Just because a driver's done something stupid - 150mph - once, twice or even ten times doesn't make it safe or even sensible! Sooner or later a tragedy happens and the fact that the driver involved (if he/she is still alive) says "well it was ok when I did it last time" isn't going to compensate the innocent victims. I really have no problem with anyone enjoying motoring on public roads but those who feel there aren't enough thrills to be had at 70mph should go and get their fun on a track.
113mph and keep your licence - Tomo
"those who feel there aren't enough thrills to be had at 70mph should go and get their fun on a track."

Thrills at 70 mph! Look, if a motorway is clear, as they can be at certain times, 70 is so fluffypinkdice boring and annoying to the competent as to be actually dangerous.
a friend of mine was stopped for 115mph and
given 6 points and a heft fine instead of a ban.

Was your friend caught on an A-road or on a motorway? And did he already have 6 points on his license?
But hey, its more fun to think its a huge conspiracy, right?

You're the first person to suggest a conspiracy.
Oh come on. What are these "different rules if you are a Tory peer" then?

Don't be such a pedant NW! That's for the polls.....of the BR variety.
--
Adam
113mph and keep your licence - frostbite
It's the latest universal excuse - 'but it's for charity'.

Any day, someone will kill somebody, 'for charity'.
113mph and keep your licence - machika
There was an ambulance driver done for speeding not long ago, I seem to recall. Not doing anything like 113 mph but I seem to remember he had one hell of a job escaping the prosecution.

Perhaps our the lord should take up ambulance driving for charity?
113mph and keep your licence - SjB {P}
Last year (so out of NIP territory): Empty UK motorway. Friend in his Merc canting along at 130MPH plus. Plod in unmarked but multi-aerialed new shape Vectra GSi appears on the scene. Matey wants to curly up and disappear somewhere else. Visions of no licence, no car, no job.

Plod literally points finger, mouths stern words, slows matey down to 70MPH for some distance, then disappears over the horizon.

Even if on a 'shout', which would appear to be the case, this was most charitable behaviour!
113mph and keep your licence - Garethj
Looks like the government's plan to make speeding as antisocial as drink driving is working very well, judging by the replies here.
113mph and keep your licence - malteser
And another law for Police Chiefs ?

See tinyurl.com/cucvb
--
Roger. (Costa del Sol, España)
There was an ambulance driver done for speeding not long ago,
I seem to recall. Not doing anything like 113 mph
but I seem to remember he had one hell of a
job escaping the prosecution.

Actually, it turned out that he wasn't an ambulance driver -- he was delivering an organ for transplant, and there was plenty of time to spare. There was no need for him to exceed the speed limit: by doing so he was simply endangering other road-users as well as his important cargo.

see www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=13406&...f
113mph and keep your licence - ProtonGuy
This story really annoys me and shows what sort of legal system we now have in this country. This government is all for a classless society except where peers are concerned it seems.

If this joker valued his freedom to do his charity work so much in the first place then he should not risked it by exceeding the speed limit.

I thought over 100mph equals ban.
I thought 12 points equals ban.

Well it would for us plebs I guess.
113mph and keep your licence - frostbite
"shows what sort of legal system we now have in this country"

It's not a modern phenomenon - it has always been an 'us and them' setup which rarely fails to protect the chosen few.