What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I Have A Question Volume 70 - Dynamic Dave

*****This Volume is now closed. Please see Volume 71, which can be found here*****

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=30627

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PC's. They now go in another Thread.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 70. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18847

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.
Buying a jointly owned house - Simon (Anne\'s Other Half)
This really one for Lawman and his profession.

I own a third share in a property which was originally gifted to my sister, brother and myself through a deed of gift. This ran out earlier in the year, so it is now totally ours.
As my sister was, and still is under 18, (16 at the moment), myself and brother were also appointed her trustees.
I want to buy out the other two and own the property out right. The other two agree to the sale and have no interest in keeping the property.
I have had three independant valuations, all of which are within 10% of each other.
I appreciate that I cannot continue as trustee for my sister, and we are asking another relative to act on her behalf.

The solicitor that holds the deeds is saying that the property must go on the open market, in an estate agents window.
He is saying that this is to make sure the deal is fair and above board.

Is this correct? Does it need to go on the open market?
Does the trusteeship make a difference?
The estate agent seems unneccessary expense.
I thought if all parties agreed on the sale and the price, then the deeds could be transferred and monies paid.

Help!

Thanks in advance.
Buying a jointly owned house - Pugugly {P}
Does your Solicitor happen to have an estate agent's business as well ?
Buying a jointly owned house - Hugo {P}
PU's said what I thought.

I would have thought that provided the trustee(s) could agree it would not be a problem.

But then again I am not legally qualified.

H
Buying a jointly owned house - Altea Ego
The trustees can do as they wish as long as they are seen to act responsibly, fairly and within the law. It seems to me that as three valuations have been taken, and an average* is paid, then this is exactly what they are doing. The trustees *instruct* the solicitor what to do, his only role is to offer *advice*

*given that the market is not hot at the moment this is probably even more true.
Buying a jointly owned house - PhilW
Can't imagine why it would have to go on open market through agents. When my Dad died last year my brother and sister and I (joint executors) discussed whether my wife and I should buy dad's house - solicitor, in front of who(m?) we did this quipped that at least it would save agent's fees. In the end we decided not to but surely anyone can sell a house that they own without going on the open market - and in your case as long as this is done with approval of others I can't see how it would be "illegal"
Buying a jointly owned house - mare
The solicitor that holds the deeds is saying that the property
must go on the open market, in an estate agents window.
He is saying that this is to make sure the deal
is fair and above board.

Rubbish

I recently bought my in laws house (last October), so effectively my wife and i bought it from my wife and her brother as beneficaries. We didn't get valuations, but valued it ourselves using rightmove, found five similar properties and agreed the price with BiL.

We had to pay stamp duty on Brother in law's half, so i suspect that you may have the same thing, depending on the figures.

HTH
Not wanting to offer advice (as per my policy here) I stick to my question.
Buying a jointly owned house - El Hacko
interesting (hypothetical at the mo) thought: Mr A wants to swop homes with Mr B. A's home is worth £200K and B's £300K. A gives B £100K, deal done - no stamp duty and, of course, no agent's fees. Could it be as simple as that?
No - friends did this, totally private sale, no Agents, still had to go through the searches and conveyancing business and pay stamp duties, they culd have "fiddled" it but they were accountants both...
El Hacko

That's not quite how it works. I know I've been there, done that, got the T shirt etc.

You're right on the estate agency fees, but not on the stamp duty. Due to a loophole that existed in the law at the time and if it were done correctly, stamp duty would only be payable on the more expensive property. Hence it is often negotiated that the stamp duty is split between both parties, thereby saving each one a fortune. The criterea is that the values must be substatially different. One house being worth £5 more than the other won't wash.

If anyone is considering this, Simon's approach wrt estate agent valuations is spot on. We approached 3 estate agents who saw both houses. Our agreement was based on the average of the difference between each house valuation, given by each agent.

Unfortunately in my case the other party's personal cicumstances got in the way of this and we both ended up paying stamp duty. It took 2 years to complete the sale/purchase and was nearly scuppered at the last minuit when I lost my job. We completed the deal on both properties the week before I was councelled for possible redundancy. I lost the job but the house was already ours.

Volvoman will remember this, I think I was in dialogue with him about something else at the time.

H
Ah PU, our experiences differ??

Am I totally wrong in what I said about stamp duty??

H
Buying a jointly owned house - malteser
If you multiply the complexities of taxes due on house sales in England & Wales by a factor of 10, you will be approaching Spanish levels of bewilderment!

Capital gains tax is due here on any property sale. 15% of the gain for official residents, 35% for non residents. Rollover into a new property is NOT allowable at all for non-residents, (remember this if Estate Agents are promising a huge profit on investments "in the Spanish sun") and is subject to a number of caveats for residents!
We are in the middle of a sale & purchase (as residents) and aforesaid caveats may scupper it for twelve months :(
--
Roger. (Costa del Sol, España)
Buying a jointly owned house - Cardew
Since when have Estate Agents ever given a proper valuation?

They might suggest a figure, say £200k, but will put it on the market at £240k if you insist just to get it on their books.

When I sold my last property one agent suggested pricing it well below what he considered it was worth in order to start a 'bidding war'. Another suggested marketing it well above what it was worth and be prepared to accept a bid some 5% lower.

A couple I know are in the middle of an acrimonious divorce. Their main asset is the house which has to be sold and proceeds divided 50:50; the couple dispute the valuation. The wife does not want to move out and wants to buy his share. 'Her' estate agent wants to put it on the market at £230k; his estate agent suggests £320k.
Buying a jointly owned house - hxj

The only issue I would wnat to bear in mind is that if, as trustee, you act in a way that is not to the benefit of the benficiaries then you are personally liable.

I would suggest that you ensure that your sister, being a minor, gets some independant valuation and legal advice, not because you don't all trust each other now, but simply because you might fall out in a few years and the sale to yourself could be used as a stick to beat you with. A few hundred pounds now could save everyone a fortune in the long term.

A fair sale price would be half way between the two higher valuations, all of which shoudl be kept somewhere safe, just in case.

IIRC the stamp duty loop hole used to be that it was not due on any of the property price met by an exchange of interests in land. So provided the cash consideration was less than the exempt level no stamp duty was payable by anyone.

Buying a jointly owned house - The Lawman
This is not my field, so don't take it as gospel, but I believe that the relevant factor here is the fact that one of the beneficiaries of the trust is a minor. If you want to buy her out, you have a conflict of interest in that as her trustee you need to maximise the price, but as the buyer you need to minimise it...

She may be very sensible and commercial, but as a matter of law, she is not able to consent to your proposed price.

The only real way to find out what a property is worth is to find out what someone is prepared to pay for it, hence the suggestion that it be put on the market.

If the property is sold merely on the basis of a valuation, you are exposed to a claim when the minor bendificiary hits 18. You may believe that this is extremely unlikely, but it is your solicitor's job to advise you as to how to effect the transaction in a bombproof way.
Buying a jointly owned house - Simon (Anne\'s Other Half)
Thank you all for your advice and assistance.

I can now see why the property might have to go to the open market. Even if it means wasting a few thousand in estate agents fees. (I'm sure they will want their 2%)

I have not as yet mentioned the price I was thinking of offering, which was half way between the upper two valuations.
What would be a sensible time to test the market in an estate agents window? If the market proves less favourable than the valuations which price should be put forward? The average of the valuations or the actual 'offered' value?

Simon
eBay problem continued - nick
eBay has written saying that it is possible to get contact information using the 'advanced search' otion on the home page. This gives general location and a phone number but no detailed address. Getting closer though. I'll persevere until they hopefully give in.
I think in future I'll ask for name and address info first and then pay by paypal if I'm happy. I'll be wary of lowish positive feedback though.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
eBay problem continued - frostbite
"the 'advanced search' otion on the home page."

I used this once - limited usefulness and, IIRC the seller is notified that you have used the facility - might produce results?
eBay problem continued - Hairy Hat Man
IF another mthod of payment is accepted other than paypal, select it when completeing the 'pay now' process. It will give you the name and postal address of the seller to send you cheque to before completion. Once you've copied the name and address somewhere, go back and pay with paypal.
eBay problem continued - Pugugly {P}
Thanks HHM - now that is a tip.
Grohe 340 41 Showers - pmh
These regularly appear at heavily discounted prices on EBay for what appears to be a premium product.

Anybody any experience?

--

pmh (was peter)

Bluetooth headset - 2 phones at once? - PoloGirl

I have a work phone and a personal phone at the moment. Work are pressuring me to have a handsfree kit fitted to my car, which they will only fit and pay for if it's of the standard wired in with cradle kind (my phone is one of the Nokia 66something bricks, so you can imagine what that will look like). The work phone has bluetooth but they're not willing to pay for a bluetooth headset instead of the handsfree kit.

Meanwhile, O2 are supposed to be sending me a free bluetooth headset to go with my personal Sony Ericsson phone.

Question is, will the one headset work with two phones at once, so that I'll be able to answer whichever phone rings, or will I have to give in and either buy my own second headset or let them drill holes in Polo and have the whole thing taken out again in a few months when I change my car?

Thanks
Bluetooth headset - 2 phones at once? - Altea Ego
No your bluetooth headset can not be paired with and control two mobile phones at once.
Bluetooth headset - 2 phones at once? - Altea Ego
Oh and by the way, under H&S concerns your company can not and should not be pressurising you to make or take calls in your car on the move.
Bluetooth headset - 2 phones at once? - henry k
Question is will I have to give in and let them drill holes in Polo
and have the whole thing taken out again in a few months when I change my car?

>>
No need to drill any holes.
shop.dashmount.co.uk/ Not cheap but there are other brands.
Bluetooth headset - 2 phones at once? - defender
bluetooth which plugs into the lighter socket would maybe suit you if you are changing soon ,the work fine and from memory you can pair 7 phones to it,sorry cant remember the make ,will post it later if you like.
Cheap Asda DVD recorder - maz64
Hi- I'm looking for a cheap DVD recorder to replace our video, and have seen what's boxed as a 4UKS DVR230 in the local Asda for £120. As my stepsons work there, it works out at <£110 after subtracting the 10% discount.

I know it's not going to be state-of-the-art, but has anyone tried one? I can't Google anything on the web, apart from a reference in www.dvdrecorderworld.com, but it doesn't load. It's made in China.

Any other suggestions welcome- I'm a regular user of eBuyer and know you can get cheap stuff online, but I like the idea of being able to return it with minimum effort.

Cheers
John
Aha- my mistake, it's a 4KUS, which returns some useful results under Google.
John
Cheap Asda DVD recorder - Pugugly {P}
Go for a Lite On £139 at Argos. Well known name in the Computer world does exactly what it said on the box. Records DVD in any format records CDs everything.
Cheap Asda DVD recorder - wemyss
Can endorse Lite-on as Pug suggests. I fitted a CDRW to my computer and its been excellent. My nephew who is in the computing business tells me they have a good reputation.
Cheers- 4KUS 230 is a rebadged Lite-on (5005?) apparently, so it looks like a relatively safe bet for that sort of money.
Niece with Bullimia - BobbyG
My 16 year old niece has Bullimia and is receiving outpatient treatment from her hospital etc. My sister is obviously very worried so I do not wish to add to this or interfere.

However, the other day I called in to pick up something and I noticed that my niece had a tub of baking soda or powder with a dessert spoon in it, and a can of Pepsi. This was sitting on table in front of TV where she had been sitting.

Does anyone know what this would be doing for her? Is it a mixture associated with Bullimia or another "teenage" craze or what?

I don't want to mention it to her to add to her worries unless this is something over and above her existing worries she should be looking at, if you know what I mean?

Any thoughts would be gratefully accepted.

Niece with Bullimia - Bromptonaut
Bobby
You could try the Eating Disorders Association; web address is www.edauk.com/
Niece with Bullimia - Adam {P}
I'm not a medic Bobby but the only thing I could think of is that when you induce vomitting, over a period of time, the stomach acid rots the teeth. I'm guessing bicarb of soda could be used to rinse the mouth?

Just a guess though.
--
Adam
Niece with Bullimia - Adam {P}
PS. Sorry to hear about your niece. Good luck.
--
Adam
Niece with Bullimia - defender
baking soda was used as a relief from indigestion by my granny,it is also used quite commonly as a relief from feeling bloated but dont know what the effects would be on someone suffering from bullimia,might be part of the treatment and actually helpfull to her.isnt it sad how modern life puts so much pressure on kids today.
Niece with Bullimia - frostbite
Does baking soda not remove the 'fizz' from fizzy drinks in the same way as sugar?
Niece with Bullimia - PoloGirl
Adski's right, being sick all the time erodes the enamel on the teeth, and the baking soda can be rubbed on and rinsed off to neutralise the acid.

Not sure about the Pepsi, but I know people with morning sickness who have sipped it to take away sickness and boost energy.

Keeping a 2 year old entertained - AR-CoolC
Hi All

Next week we are off on our holidays, but this will be the first time with our little 'un (she's 2y and 3m old).

The question is, do any of you have any fantastic tricks for keeping a 2 year old entertained, in the airport, and on the plane (approx 4 hour flight).

Cheers all
Keeping a 2 year old entertained - Altea Ego
1/ the worst thing for kids and air travel is the pressure on the ears. It hurts and frightens them. It may sound silly but pack lots of drinks in bottles with teats (like when they were 6 months old) It keeps them hydrated and the sucking action equalises the ear pressure quickly

2/ Find out if you can take your stroller or folding push chair to the gate where they will pack it in the plane for you.

3/ Lots of books, colouring books, crayons and childrens stories on an MP3 player or walkman.

4/ Lots of babywipes for accidents or to mop a fevered and worried brow.

5/ Window seat

RF junior flew to states at 3 and Aus at 5 and is now a very bored airline passenger

Keeping a 2 year old entertained - AR-CoolC
Thanks RF good tip about the drinks with teats.

I have been looking for an excuse to buy an MP3 player aswell.
Keeping a 2 year old entertained - Stargazer {P}
Also, dont forget their own bag/rucksac to pack favourite toy/book/tapes, and if a night time flight PJs.

The little stargazer has flown to and fro between UK and oz many times from age of 6 months and there is nothing she likes more than having her own carry-on bag or being able to change into PJs for the second leg of a long flight.

Quantas and BA hand out kiddies packs in addition to anything they bring with them.

Dont forget favorite teddy! (two year old's not yours!)

StarGazer
Keeping a 2 year old entertained - Ex-Moderator
No. 1 Daughter is 3 yrs 2 months and has done about 16 flights of more than 10 hours duration her first at 6 weeks. No 2. daughter will do her first at 8 weeks - children in airports and on flights is a subject I am an expert on !!!

In my experience the flight is not really the issue. Typically there is television available and that, with a few colouring & writing bits and pieces, is ok. 4 hours in the air goes pretty quickly what with eating, drinking, taking off, landing, drawing and video that you'll not really have much time to worry about it, and certainly mine find airplanes fairly conducive to sleep anyway.

The issue is the journey to the airport and the time in the airport. If you have driven to the airport and been in the airport with your child active the whole time then you're not going to have an issue on the flight since they'll be reaosnably happy with being immobile.

However, if you've allowed them to sleep in the car, or in the airport, then I'd say you'll be a dead cert to regret it.

The tip about suckable drinks is a good one.
Applying gloss paint with a roller - L'escargot
I've just painted a plain flat interior door using a 100mm soft velour roller. The packaging promised "a high quality finish with gloss paint". What I've got is a slightly glossy dimpled finish. Was I being naive in expecting anything other? Alternatively, what did I do wrong? I was certainly pleased with how little time it took compared with using a brush.
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Applying gloss paint with a roller - mfarrow
Are these dimples little bubbles? If so then I expect a paintbrush would have been better!

If they're little crators then it could be the surface you're painting onto. We had a terrible job trying to get the new water-based gloss we'd bought stick to the old oil-based paint without leaving little crators all over the place. Solution was to sand down thoroughly to give the new paint something to latch on to.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Applying gloss paint with a roller - Altea Ego
You will always get a slightly dimpled finish with Gloss Paint using a roller, even a very soft one, unless the paint is thined down quite a lot.

For large flat areas and gloss paint I use a large paint pad. Fast as a roller, finish like a brush.
Applying gloss paint with a roller - wemyss
We had a joiner at our Establishment who was held in awe for his remarkable glass like finish with gloss paint on flat surfaces such as doors.
The actual painters we employed would freely admit they couldn?t match him and on quality work were relegated to window frames and preparation.
I remember asking Ian his secret and he said its all about speed.

The technique for a professional painter is to apply the gloss downwards with a brush.
Then brush (no more paint) diagonally in both directions finishing with downwards brushing again.
He told me this is exactly what he did but only halfway down the door and at high speed.
He demonstrated this for me and he was very fast.
His theory was drying commenced immediately and it was the speed of his application and brushing which gave him this finish which was superb.
Its not as easy as it sounds however when you put it into practise which I have, and it takes me far longer than Ian could do it.

Applying gloss paint with a roller - L'escargot
The technique for a professional painter is to apply the gloss
downwards with a brush.
Then brush (no more paint) diagonally in both directions finishing with
downwards brushing again.
He told me this is exactly what he did but only
halfway down the door and at high speed.

I'd like to try this, but I'm not clear about the "halfway down" bit. Does this mean that you have to paint half the door first before you apply the final downward strokes?
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Applying gloss paint with a roller - wemyss
I'd like to try this, but I'm not clear about the "halfway down" bit. Does this mean that you have to paint half the door first before you apply the final downward strokes?
--
Exactly..In other words the door is too big to do all at once and the top half is finished first. But he would only take a minute or two to complete the top before doing the same on the bottom half and its the speed which counts.
Doesn't half make your arm ache.
Applying gloss paint with a roller - SjB {P}
Yes, I agree with this, and it is the technique that an interior-decorating-for-a-living uncle taught me. With satin finish paint, which I much prefer to gloss, drying can be even faster and after just a few seconds it can start to skin if warm or in a draught. Boy did my arm ache two nights ago from painting a door and a window frame, but the finish - though I say so myself! - is superb.

To paint a traditional 'four panelled' door (probably made by Masonite, one of my customers, since they have the European market for interior door skins sown up), I do as follows:

1) Paint each panel 'frame' (i.e. the recess around each panel)
2) Paint each panel itself
3) Paint the three horizontal sections, top, middle, and bottom
4) Paint the two vertical sections

The reason for doing the vertical sections last is to brush across the end of the horizontal sections, ensuring a precise finish that is aligned with the 'join' (which is usually just a moulding line).
where does our electricity come from? - Imagos
Nuclear power seems to be on its last legs, (Bradwell in Essex for example produces none at all) No coal industry to speak of in this country, can't think of any power station offhand.. so how is our electricity generated and where does it come from?
where does our electricity come from? - Altea Ego
Gas powered, oil fired and coal fired power stations, a lot imported from France by undersea cables
where does our electricity come from? - smokie
It's a two way thing with France, and with Scotland. We don't just take.
where does our electricity come from? - mfarrow
It's a two way thing with France, and with Scotland. We
don't just take.

So which way's net?
where does our electricity come from? - Duchess
So which way's net?

>>

Massive amount flows south out of Scotland into England and across to Northern Ireland. And as much of the new renewable energy power stations are being built in Scotland, this is going to go up even more (assuming planning permission is given for the new lines to carry it across the border!).

"So which way's net?"

Well it seems from the links provided by Mark that it depends on price.

In 2004 we seem to have imported more than we sold, and the previous three years it was the other way round.
Got me interested. Maybe we don't impoirt much from France.

"There are numerous power stations in the UK. There are around 23 large coal fired plant (some of which also burn some gas or oil), 17 nuclear plants, 8 large oil plants and 11 new combined cycle gas turbines (CCGTs) and several others. Large in this context means over 100MW. (The percentage of generation by fuel type in 1995 was 48% coal, 23% nuclear, 17% CCGT and open cycle gas turbines, 9% interconnectors and 1% oil and the remainder hydro and the new renewables)."

Also see here www.parliament.uk/post/pn163.pdf
where does our electricity come from? - Ex-Moderator
Go here for information about sharing electricity...

www.nationalgrid.com/uk/

and select "Interconnectors" from the drop down list.

Go here for some facts and figures about generation...

www.electricity.org.uk/default.asp?action=article&...2

where does our electricity come from? - helicopter
If you really want an interesting day out and see electricty generation in action , go to Llanberis in Snowdonia and visit Dinorwic Power Station which is actually built inside a mountain.

Magic Mountain tours are run by the electricity company and are fascinating.

The power is generated by releasing water stored at the top of the mountain through the turbines and into a reservoir at the bottom where it is pumped back up to the top . It is a very efficient way of balancing demand because the power is brought onto the grid vitually immediately at times of high demand whereas it takes a lot longer to start up your average coal, gas or nuclear station.

The turbine hall inside the mountain is larger than St Pauls Cathedral and well worth a visit.
where does our electricity come from? - BazzaBear {P}
Would I be right in thinking that is more of an 'energy balancing' system, rather than generating?
I assume it uses power from the grid, when there is excess, to pump the water up to the top, then when extra is needed for the grid, that is released to provide extra power?
I assume that it's also less than 100% efficient, and therefore overall it uses more energy than it provides?
where does our electricity come from? - Pugugly {P}
www.fhc.co.uk/DIN.htm

Actually up in the area this weekend, fine motoring roads no too heavily Policed (contrary to the popular view)off the dreaded Arrive Alive "routes"
where does our electricity come from? - The Lawman
That's right. However I understand the water is pumped back up at nightime when electricity is cheaper. Something to do wth the fact that it is cheaper to leave power stations running at low capacity than to switch them off and on again.

In essence, it is a giant rechargeable battery.
Of course they generate electricity, thats what they are in business for and IIRC they have five pretty large turbines in the turbine hall.

How do you think they make any money but by selling to the consumer via National Power and the grid?

The advantage Dinorwic have is that they can respond immediately to demand and therefore can sell to National Power at a higher rate than other generators.

This is particularly handy when sudden peaks of demand drain the grid and supplies drop dramatically -- ie half time when footy is on the telly and everyone switches on their kettles.

Its really a very interesting place for anyone who wants to learn about electricity generation and they also have a big exhibition hall and proactive displays ideal for kids.

"Of course they generate electricity"

Nope - it STORES electricity generated elsewhere. To be pedantic it converts it into another form of energy and then converts it back when required. It buys electricity cheaply, converts it, looses some in the conversion, and then sells it back at a higher price.

Thats not to take anything away from what is a magnificent and practical piece of engineering.
Having just clicked on the link above they actually have 6 turbines which generate the power by day and reverse to become pumps by night to pump the water back up to the top of the mountain.

They excavated 1 million cubic metres of earth to build it - An amazing feat of engineering all round.
"In essence, it is a giant rechargeable battery."

Indeed - but what a battery

0 - 1,320 Megawatts in 12 seconds.

5 hours at full "discharge"

7 hours recharge time tho!
Sorry RF - You are wrong.

The Dinorwic power station generates power as and when requested to by the National grid.In times of high demand they are phoned up and asked to start generating power to the grid - it does not store electricity.

If you don't believe me do what I did and visit the place or ring them up and ask.

have you checked out the weblink above ? It explains it all.
I actually phoned them up and asked not 10 minutes ago!
>>National grid

National Grid [Transco] is a company who, amongst other things, supplies the electricity transmission network to the UK and as such both words are capitalised.

That transmission network is occasionally referred to as the national grid, where "national" is an adjective and not capitalised.

Even more pedantic than usual today Mark!

I'll leave you two to argue about Dinorwic but the other one in Ffestiniog certainly does store electricity behind it's big dam, in the way RF describes.

I've been on a tour of there myself and I have to say it's a pretty big station. Of course it's all computer controlled up there but before they had teams of people working there to check pressures and adjust valves: the oil pumps for the bearings alone are huge and pretty noisy at that. Driving up to the dam is pretty scary with the shear drop on one side.

--------------
Mike Farrow
where does our electricity come from? - Stargazer {P}
Helicopter is correct, it does not store electrical power, it stores potential energy (ie large mass of water at a great height) which it can convert to electrical energy on demand.

A battery cell also does not store electricity, but contains chemical energy which can be converted to electrical energy.

A capacitor is capable of storing electrical energy (or charge).

During off peak, electrical power from the grid is used to pump water up to the resevoir thus converting surplus power to potential energy, on demand the potential energy s then converted back to electrical power, both conversions are less than 100% efficient but storing it this way is very convenient.

A similar effect would be to spin up a very large flywheel with off peak electricity thus storing electrocal power as kinetic energy. This kinetic energy could then be used to turn a generator on demand thus converting the kinetic energy back to electrical power at a more convenient time.

Stargazer
"Sorry RF - You are wrong."

Sorry helo me old mate, you are only selectively looking at 41% of its operating cycle.

Its has a 12 hour charge/discharge operating cycle. 7 hours recharge, 5 hours discharge. It is using electricity to generate electricity through storage and is therefore not a Generator.

So there

it uses low peak electricity from the grid to pump the water back up the hill.
From their website.

Dinorwig's reversible pump/turbines are capable of reaching maximum generation in less than 16 seconds. Using off-peak electricity the six units are reversed as pumps to transport water from the lower reservoir, back to Marchlyn Mawr.
It is a net generator although it does consume some of its own [excess] production ?

I think we're getting into semantics. I also think we're getting into an area for which this thread was not intended; so unless you have a specific question, I think we'll leave it there.
It can only be a net generator if its 7 hour recharge time consumes less watts than its 5 hours discharge time produces.

The last time I checked it was harder to push water up a hill than let it run down so unless the welsh pixies have discovered the holly grail and can defy physics then my argument stands.
The last time I checked it was harder to push water
up a hill than let it run down so unless the
welsh pixies have discovered the holly grail and can defy physics
then my argument stands.

Well put RF, plus power is lost in the turbine/pump volute, bearings, and power transmission. Unless it monsoons up there 24/7 and someone has designed the lossless pump and turbine it can never be a net generator.

--------------
Mike Farrow
where does our electricity come from? - Chas{P}
Is anyone else getting bored with this argument??
No its a good argument
where does our electricity come from? - frostbite
If you accept that RF is speaking hypothetically, which I believe he is, then his analogy of 'rechargeable/storage' is quite correct.
Ok The figures.

It requires 11,550 Megawatts to pump the water up the hill for a full charge cycle.
Generates 6,600 Megawatts on a full discharge cycle

Net loss

'It is using electricity to generate electricity through storage and is therefore not a Generator.'

RF - It is using water power to generate electicity at the demand of National Grid (OK for you Mark?.).

I agree that they use electricity to pump the water back up to the top of the mountain.

However, because of your insistence I took the trouble to actually ring them up and clarify directly with them.

I was told that the power is generated and supplied direct to the national grid ( all right Mark?)when National Grid ( OK Mark?) ring them up and ask for it.

It is not stored.

I am going to leave it now as I have a business to run!
Of course its stored! where did it come from! They bought it and stored it!
RF, read my post, they buy electricity and convert it to potential energy which is much easier to store, on demand they then convert this back to electricity.

They do not store electrical power!

StarGazer
RF - I will refer you to Stargazers explanation above as I really do have to fly ( literally).
Where did I say its stores electricity? All my posts states it converts it.
where does our electricity come from? - John24
Everyone seems to assume it doesn't snow or rain on Dinorwic!
"Everyone seems to assume it doesn't snow or rain on Dinorwic"

If the rain and snow is 7,000,000cu metres every 5 hours then I conceed its a net generator of electricity
where does our electricity come from? - The Lawman
Come on helicopter, this is simple physics!

Cheap electricity is bought from the grid to pump the water uphill. At peak times, the water is then let back downhill, and produces expensive electricy (ie at peak rates)

It works on an economic level because of the difference in price between nighttime and daytime electricity.

It cannot produce a net gain. To do so would be to break the cardinal rule that you can't get energy for nothing.

All engines are effectively devices for turning one sort of energy into another (ie chemical potential energy in petrol to kinetic energy) What this system does is to use electrical energy to created gravitational potential energy (when the water is pumped uphill) and then to reconvert that potential energy into electrical energy when the water is released back downhill again. As both conversiions will not be 100% efficient, it must be a net consumer of electricity.

This is a cracking friday afternoon thread!
Where did I say its stores electricity? All my posts states
it converts it.

In your post above
Of course its stored! where did it come from! They bought it and stored it!

Ok in that one post I missed out "coverted it" you have me there. Does not alter the fact it only provides the National Grid (Transco - Ok with you Mark?) some 56% of the electricity it consumes from the National Grid (Transco - ok with you Mark?)
Where did I say its stores electricity? All my posts states
it converts it.

Mine does in error.
>>I was told that the power is generated and supplied direct to the national grid ( all right Mark?)

Well, not entirely. Given the three interconnectors I am not sure that "national" grid is quite as appropriate a term as it once was. It might, perhaps, be better described as the international grid. Having said that, it might be acceptable to continue to refer to the act concerned as "supplying it to the national grid" since it is then shared with a number of other national grids rather than with an international grid. Although even that would bring into question the use of the word "the" as in "the national grid" since it would be more accurately described as "*a* national grid"; one of many.

Further perhaps they are not supplying it to the/a national grid at all but is supplied to National Grid who then feed it into the/a national grid.

These things are very problematic for a friday afternoon.

These things are very problematic for a friday afternoon.

Agreed, must go and get a cup of tea (chemical energy) then walk to the station and catch a train (convert to kinetic energy) and arrive 12 minutes later up in the Cotswolds (potential energy).

Helicopter said "I am going to leave it now as I have a business to run!"

This has made me curious, as many of our most prolific posters seem to run business and/or work for themselves. How on earth can our captains of industry have the spare time to be playing around here, when many "ordinary" people are barred from visiting sites like this during the working day due to "company policy"?
Because smokie, they're the boss. Or a student avoiding work.

--------------
Mike Farrow
where does our electricity come from? - frostbite
"Or a student avoiding work."

At least you didn't mention Adam by name.
have you noticed he is never around when things get hard and technical?
where does our electricity come from? - Imagos
wow! 50 posts to my question. much more knowledge on subject now. intersting links too/

Thanks for replies!
where does our electricity come from? - BazzaBear {P}
Brilliant!
A 50 post discussion, where everyone has basically agreed with what I said originally, but argued about semantic points. :D
Helicopter: I certainly wouldn't argue that it is an incredible achievement, but the reason why I suggested it wasn't overall a generator of energy is that, without energy already supplied to the grid by other, more conventional generators, it could not actually supply energy itself.
It takes energy from the grid, stores it as potential energy (water at top of hill), then at need converts this to kinetic energy (water running down hill) then to electrical energy (via the turbines)