Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XXIII - Dynamic Dave

****** Thread closed. Please see vol XXIV for further discussions. ******

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=27487

Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XXII is closed and this thread has been started.

For the continued discussions around the subject of speeds & speeding, usually excluding cameras which are in another thread.

Older versions will not be deleted, so there is no need to repost any old stuff.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18848

DD,
BackRoom Moderator
Strange 19mph Speed Limit spotted - LHM
On taking a detour through the Cambridgeshire 'new village' of Cambourne, I was surprised to see several 19mph limits in operation.

Is this some legal quirk, or had the signwriters simply run out of zeros....
Strange 19mph Speed Limit spotted - cheddar
Not sure why this is though perhaps it is not a coincidence that 19mph is 30kph.
Strange 19mph Speed Limit spotted - L'escargot
Sounds as if someone wanted to go metric (for some unknown reason in this case), and then allowed his pocket calculator to get out of sync with his brain.

At work (and, believe it or not, this actually went into a service bulletin!) someone converted a torque (that was originally in lb.ft) into Joules(!) ~ which is , of course, a unit of energy. His conversion factor was numerically correct, but he missed the point that torque in lb.ft is not the same as energy in ft.lb...........if you see what I mean. Both torque and energy can be calculated by multiplying lb by ft (or vice versa) but the resulting units are not the same.

I suspect that the perpetrator of the 19mph sign was similarly befuddled.
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Strange 19mph Speed Limit spotted - doctorchris
Probably a bit like shops charging £19.99 rather than £20. Drivers will round up their speed to 20mph rather than 25 or 30 and so speeds will be kept nearer to what the road planner (is that an oxymoron?) intended.
Strange 19mph Speed Limit spotted - Canuck
I've seen this before in oil refineries with a high safety emphasis. A speed limit sign with 19 mph on it gets noticed (as this thread proves). I've seen signs at 19 1/2 mph as well.

Canuck
Strange 19mph Speed Limit spotted - Sofa Spud
'19' stands out visually more than 20, which looks a bit like 30! But by the time you've worked out exactly where the needle should be pointing on your speedo you'll have hit the sign.

Cheers, SS
Strange 19mph Speed Limit spotted - Robin Reliant
As it required a special act to allow local autorities to lower some urban limits to 20mph, I'm not too sure of the legality of a 19mph limit on the public highway.

LA's do get it wrong, and a few councils had to alter direction signs which showed metric distances when The highways Agency pointed out it was unlawful.
Strange 19mph Speed Limit spotted - Galaxy
Here in Benfleet, Essex we recently had a speed limit of 10mph on one section of the public highway, not that may drivers took much notice of it!
Oh for the good old days when the speed limit was either 30mph in built-up areas or no limit elsewhere.
--
Strange 19mph Speed Limit spotted - holly1
There is one of these 19 mph road markings when you enter Broughton Shopping Centre near Chester. Never seen anything like that before.
Strange 19mph Speed Limit spotted - Bromptonaut
This has come up before, either on this forum or elsewhere. IIRC they were placed by the developer but I cannot remember the background.
Strange 19mph Speed Limit spotted - SjB {P}
In my opinion, and as posted above, it's simply to get noticed. I read an article about this in one of the Dailies a few months back. IIRC, within a certain tolerance that doesn't contradict absolute maximums, councils are able to set whatever limit they like in some circumstances, and some have chosen to do exactly that.
Strange 19mph Speed Limit spotted - frostbite
Some of these speed limits are quite ridiculous in terms of registering on your speedo.

Any day now, a 2mph limit somewhere - don't walk too fast.
Strange 19mph Speed Limit spotted - Adam {P}
Don't you think 2mph is a bit dangerous for walking through a crowded town centre?

You could accidently knock someone.

--
Adam
Don't you think 2mph is a bit dangerous for walking through
a crowded town centre?
You could accidently knock someone.
--
Adam

Should be OK provided someone walks in front of you carrying a red flag! ;-)
--
A Google search revealed that the 30kph (19 mph) limit is/was used in Graz, Austria, as a "traffic calming measure". Presumably we are now blindly copying Austria. Can't we be original about anything?
--
Strange 19mph Speed Limit spotted - cheddar
... or someone drives in front of you carrying a red flag!
Strange 19mph Speed Limit spotted - AF
Found this:

www.cambourne.info/news.html

Quote:

"Bemused drivers are slowed by new signs DRIVERS in Cambourne may have been scratching their heads but they have been driving slower, according to the village's developers.

Speed signs with a difference installed on the village's private roads urge drivers to keep within a 19 mph speed limit. There are currently around 20 speed restriction signs on Cambourne's roads, which developers describe as winding and difficult to gather speed on. Gail Taylor, press officer for the developers, said the new signs had an immediate and noticeable effect. She said: "The reason for having a 19 mile per hour limit is to attract attention to the signs as it is an unusual number."

Despite the reported success of the scheme David Brace, team leader of traffic management at Cambridgeshire County Council, said the county council would not endorse the speed restriction. "At the moment the roads are privately-owned so it's up to the developers to impose whatever restrictions they want. "If the county council does adopt the roads we would not accept a speed limit which was not a conventional number," he added.

Dr Donald Laming, senior university lecturer in Cambridge University's psychology department, said the idea worked on the same principle as the 99p pricing system in shops. He said: "If I see something for £12.99 I think it costs £13." He said he was not aware of any professional studies indicating the success of such tactics but his opinion, as a layman, was the signs might work and only studying drivers' behaviour would reveal the true picture."

So if the council won't enforce the speed restiction that is posted (i.e. 19mph), what is the speed limit?

Mind you the bit that amused me was describing Cambourne as a village.
Strange 19mph Speed Limit spotted - Robin Reliant
Pedantic point, but the reason goods in shops are £X.99p is not to make them seem cheaper, but to ensure the assistant has to ring the till to get the 1p change, and not fall into temptation and pocket the banknote.
Strange 19mph Speed Limit spotted - pdc {P}
That seems valid, but they have to ring the till in order to give us a receipt, not that a receipt is required in law though.
Strange 19mph Speed Limit spotted - Dwight Van Driver
Unless there has been an amending Regulation then this sign is not one authorised by the Sec of State under Traffic Signs and General Directions 2004 so any speed limit that it refers to cannot be legal.

Have a look at

tinyurl.com/6wpk7

Scroll down and 19 mentioned.

DVD
Strange 19mph Speed Limit spotted - J Bonington Jagworth
So at least we won't get other odd numbers springing up! 27mph, anyone?
Strange 19mph Speed Limit spotted - THe Growler
Thought so. It's another example of Euro-creep.
Strange 19mph Speed Limit spotted - LHM

Many thanks, PM!!
Strange 19mph Speed Limit spotted - Singer-G
So if the council won't enforce the speed restiction that is
posted (i.e. 19mph), what is the speed limit?

In my opinion, if the roads are privately owned, there is no speed limit, whatever the signs say! The traffic laws apply to the public highway.
Strange 19mph Speed Limit spotted - Sofa Spud
>>Oh for the good old days when the speed limit was either 30mph in built-up areas or no limit elsewhere.
--

In France, im my experience, they don't use de-restricted signs at the end of lower speed limits. All sections of road have signs denoting the speed limit. If applied here, that would mean at the end of a 30 limit, going into a 'de-restricted' section, there would be a '60' sign.

Also, in France, speed limits vary much more along a given stretch of main road to suit conditions. I think we could do that here too - many B-roads and poorer sections of A-road should have 50 or 40 limits while many motorway sections would be safe with an 80 limit for cars and light vans.

Cheers, Sofa Spud
Strange 19mph Speed Limit spotted - Bromptonaut
It's coming here. Several junctions on the A5 in Shropshire and that at Watford Gap drop the limit to 40/50 over half a mile or so. Also note increasing use of junction name on appraoch to major junctions eg Shrawardine Turn (salop) and Gibbett Crossroads (A5/A426) on Warwicks/Leics border.
Yet another speed camera review - teabelly
From today's telegraph:

A review of all 5,500 speed camera locations was ordered by the Government yesterday only five months after a previous inquiry.

Alistair Darling, the Transport Secretary, told the local authority-police partnerships which run camera schemes that they must reassess the sites to see whether the equipment was still justified.

The RAC has welcomed the camera review

The action, seen by motoring groups as a pre-election "sweetener", reflects dissatisfaction with the initial exercise, which was based on partnerships' own evaluations of whether they had complied with regulations. The review suggested that accident rates had remained constant or increased at about a quarter of sites following the cameras' introduction.

Mr Darling said partnerships must now ascertain in particular whether cameras needed to be retained on roads where good safety records had been achieved, and also where installation appeared to have had no effect on reducing crashes.

He also insisted that the reviews – which he wanted to become annual events – include the 250 "legacy" sites, where police-funded cameras existed before the self-financing partnership schemes came in.

The revised rules make clear that partnerships will be required to carry out "statistically robust" speed surveys before any new cameras can be installed.

They will not be permitted unless studies conducted over a minimum of three days show that at least 20 per cent of vehicles are speeding, and 15 per cent exceeding the limit by 10 per cent plus 2mph.

A further test must also be undertaken to ascertain that no cost-effective engineering alternative, such as chicanes or changes to road markings, could be implemented.

The accident criteria are unchanged. For fixed-camera sites there must have been at least four collisions involving serious injury or death per kilometre covered by the camera during the past 36 months. For mobile equipment, the test is two collisions.

The rules reaffirm that police can locate cameras at any location, provided they do not seek to recover the cost from Whitehall under the partnership scheme.

A 60-page handbook sets out what partnerships can reclaim from the £80 million a year generated by camera fines. As well as staff and equipment, such costs can include spending on publicity and "driver education" campaigns as well as attendance at relevant conferences.

The RAC Foundation welcomed the move. Edmund King, its executive director, said: "At specific sites, cameras have been very effective. But across the board serious accidents have increased and the policy as a whole is not really working.

"Too often these partnerships do not even consider engineering solutions to safety problems, and turn to cameras just because they can reclaim the cost."

Still no sign of the goverment making the camera partnerships publish all their data so we can see for ourselves whether anything they are doing is working. Staffordshire SCP will have a tough time as last year they had the highest number of fatalities for nearly a decade in the county.
teabelly
Drivers ignoring M4 temp speed limits - sir_hiss
ok apologies up front that this might have to go in the speeding thread but here goes.

Theres a set of roadworks on the M4 between J17 (Chippenham) and J18 (Bath) for signalling upgrades, usual 50 limit in force. No speed cameras (as they are sort of rolling roadworks over a period of months) but well advertised speed cmamera signs and the local plods do appear from time to time. Came through it this morning at rush hour and found it impossible to stay below 60 as every other muppet was ignoring the limit and trying to force me off the road. Managed to hack off a small Hovis truck as I was forced to dive into lane one to prevent some muppet chewing my bumper. How in earth is someone supposed to stick to speed limits in these situations?

Rant over

Nik B
Drivers ignoring M4 temp speed limits - Pugugly {P}
Exactly - and knowing that S***s law usually applies in these circumstances you would be the one to cop a ticket.
Drivers ignoring M4 temp speed limits - Robin Reliant
I always take the view that if I am in a line of traffic that is exceeding the limit, then Gatso's aside I am safe. The lead vehicle will be the one picked up on a static radar check, and the last in line will be at the mercy of police cars coming out of the sun.

I can see your point though. Try driving through the Limehouse Link and keeping to the 30mph limit. You would not get out alive.
Drivers ignoring M4 temp speed limits - Ivor E Tower
Went up the A3 towards London ( from Godalming to Cobham to those who know) a few years back on a Friday afternoon. There were signposted 30mph limits using proper metal temporary signs with the proper red circles with black number in the middle (3 lane carriageway usually 70mph) and loads of cones on the central reservation. Looked like the workers had cleared off for the week-end, moved the cones away but forgotten to remove the 30 signs. Of course, you could only tell this after you had driven through. I stuck to 30, mindful of possible speed cameras. It was scary! I was the slowest vehicle on the road, there turned out to be no cameras (well, not that I saw anyway) but I was nearly rear ended more times than I care to remember and had several people making hand gestures at me. This was a stretch of road that I had not travelled on for many months.
I was absolutely disgusted at other drivers' total disregard for the law. If I had had more time, I would have sought out the local plod to complain at what had happened - both in terms of the potential safety problem from stupidly low speed limit when the road was clear of obstruction, and the mass breaking of the law by others. However I decided that escaping with my life and an undamaged car was all that mattered.
Speeding Notification - paul45
Help please from any of you legal eagles

Mate of mine has got a NOIP dated 01/11/04, for an offence committed on 16/07/04. I have read the locked thread about notification but can't find anything regarding dates elapsed between offence and date of NOIP, apart from everything stating that it should only be 14 days. I may be missing the point here however, but is this NOIP date beyond the 14 days from the offence or does this not matter and it is only the date of the NOIP that determines when the clock starts ticking?

It seems a heck of a long time from the offence to the NOIP - is this acceptable?

Opinions please....

Thanks

Paul
Speeding Notification - Adam {P}
How long? The best man for this job is DVD but I'll try and help. From what I understand, 14 days (not including the day of the offence) is the time they have to post it. What I'm a little unsure of is that, it doesn't have to get to you within 14 days, just they have to post it within reasonable time. (Again I'm not sure). Even if this is true, close to 4 months later is taking the mick. I would hazard a rough guess that it you pursued it, your friend would get off - how on earth can he be expected to remember who was driving?

I could be completely wrong though
--
Adam
Speeding Notification - Mark (RLBS)
Was he caught by a camera or a person ? A person probably warned him that he was being reported for..blah..blah... in which case the delay is probably irrelevant.

Was there some doubt over who owned the car or who was driving the vehicle ? If it took them that long to find him because of inaccurate registration, then its probably justifiable.
Yeah sorry about that. A hire car or similar then that's normal. That's what happens when I give advice - it's usually wrong.
--
Adam
Answers to the questions - caught by a camera in South Wales and yes Mark you were right it was a hire car, thus I guess the reason for the length of elapsed time.

As you say Adam he can't remember whether it was him or one of his colleauges who was driving at the time. Any thoughts on the best way to proceed? Would it be to send a letter asking for camera evidence on the basis of who was driving at the time, or something along the lines of this is beyond the NOIP period get lost ? I guess if you asked the first question are you implicating yourself?

Much obliged

Speeding Notification - Mark (RLBS)
Firstly I would suggest that he was careful. If he was the only person insured to drive it, he might not want to say that someone else was.

If it was a rental standing in for a company car, then there is perhaps no issue, but if it was a rental in his own name then the cover is normally quite limited.

By all means ask for the photograph if he genuinely isn't sure who was driving.
The rentals are company based i.e. although it is booked in one one employees name any company employee can drive the car so it shouldn't be an issue from the insurance point of view. It isn't a rental in lieu of company car either just a run of the mill rental from a major company.

I guess the question is now about what is reasonable in terms of elapsed time between offence committed and NOIP being issued.
To be honest Paul, I wouldn't be able to give you any accurate advice. My (limited) knowledge ended at the 14 day rule. As Mark said, with it being a hire car, then the 14 day rule pretty much goes out of the window.

Normally, your first question usually involved a guilty plea and taking it to court to get the evidence. I've heard of people going down to see it before they've signed the NIP but as to it being different circumstances, I'm really not sure to be honest.

Someone will be along with more positive advice,

Good luck to your friend whatever happens.
--
Adam
Speeding Notification - PhilW
Try this thread - go down to 8th Sept 04

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=25160&...f
Speeding Notification - Kevin
If your mate's colleague has a similar lack of recollection of who was driving:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=38...1

Kevin...
Speeding Notification - Dwight Van Driver
As pointed out NOIP has to be sent out so that it can be received in the normal course of the post (Reg Post, Record del, or First class post only) within 14 days from the date after the offence to the Reg Keeper (the Hire Company).If this is done then there is no get out. Lawfully served.

With the NOIP sent to Hire Co (the RK) would have been a Sect 172 RTA 88 form to name the driver. They, it would appear have done so and the SCP have then forwarded the NOIP/Forms on to who the HC have recorded as hirer at the the/date in question.

Now it is up to the receipient to either admit the offence, pay 60 notes and collect 3 points or if there is some genuine problem in identifying the driver return the S172 Form back obviously unsigned, explaining this fact. Doing this after first asking for photo to see if this would assist in ID of said driver may help. Said Photo may well ID in which case the case is lost. If it doesn't then back to square one when SCP may, repeat may, accept and disengage and matter dropped. However, becuase this excuse has been played to the n'th degree it is possible that they will process the case to a Court hearing for fail to name driver (1,000 note fine (max) plus 3 points). At Court the defendant will have to prove that he did not know and could not with reasonable diligence have ascertained who the driver of the vehicle was to the satisfaction of Their Worships. If they believe then case thrown out and as there is no evidence of who the driver was then speeding offence cannot be considered.

Take heed of the wise words of Mark regarding Insurance - very valid comments.

DVD
DVD / all - thanks for the advice.

My mates speed was 92 in a 70 limit, his plan is to now contact SCP asking for evidence, as I said before he is not 100% sure he was driving. If it was him, and he therefore says "fair cop guvnor" and admits the offence, any ideas whether he could expect a 3 point and a 60 note fine or is he in line for something worse?

Cheers
Speeding Notification - Dwight Van Driver
In line for the Conditional Offer of 60/3 at that speed.

Court appearance kicks in at 96mph and above. (ACPO Speed Enforcement guidelines)

DVD
Speeding Notification - Peter D
Go take a look at Pepipoo.com
SWMBO & SP30 - Cardew
SWMBO has just had her first ever conviction - a SP30(£60 + 3 points) for 35mph in a 30 zone, courtesy of a blue flash.

The car is insured(with More Th>n) in my name with her as a named driver.

Does anyone know if this heinous crime has to be declared to Insurance company?

If so, now or on renewal in May?

Lastly is this likely to result in a loading of premium?
SWMBO & SP30 - runboy
Yes, report it, otherwise come claim time they may say "no"!

It may affect your premium but in my experience my one (and only I hasten to add!) SP30 resulted in no additional premium.
SWMBO & SP30 - Altea Ego
Declare? Yes you have to now, as its a material change in circumstances. Loading? Depending on age, risk, and past claims record it may not.
SWMBO & SP30 - Bromptonaut
Endorse the advice of RF - you cannot be too careful.
SWMBO & SP30 - volvoman
Concur with all of the above - better to declare it than take the risk that your cover may be affected fi/when you reaaly need it. Can't imagine there'll be any great problem or extra cost.
SWMBO & SP30 - Schnitzel
I usually get my quotes online, and get them first without mentioning the SP30 I got 3 years ago, or the uninsured chav who hit me up the back as I went over a road hump.
I then revise my details and add them.
I have found the SP30 makes no difference, and the chav hitting me makes it £30ish more.
So I would tell them, as in my experience it makes no difference, but they may use it as a stick to beat you with if you don't.
SWMBO & SP30 - Hugo {P}
Agree, Contact them and tell them.

In addition, take and record the name of the operator you speak to, the date and time of the call.

At worst it should affect you premium to the tune of around £50 per annum for the nest 5 years IIR.

Hugo
Derbyshire Chief Constable David Coleman - SjB {P}
If true, and anti speeding campaigner Derbyshire Chief Constable David Coleman was in the car, I guess there's nothing like a good bit of hypocrisy.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4027545.stm
Derbyshire Chief Constable David Coleman - Dwight Van Driver
Thats naughty SjB.

My information is that he was in the back seat returning home from a hard day and may well have been catching up on paperwork/nodding with no sight of a speedo and in the hands of an above average police driver?

Cast not the first stone?

DVD
Can someone enligten me - smoke
The speed limit on the motorway is 70 mph. The usual situation if you try and do this speed is
1) you can't due to traffic constraints
2) Everyone else is doing 80-85 mph (aside from HGV's which vary between 65-70)
My question is this, how do the IAM or other such motoring organisations view breaking the 70 mph limit to keep up with traffic.
I know that you should drive at the limit and no greater as long as it is safe to do so, but in the same vein with the IAM (sorry i am a member hence i can't say about other groups) i was taught that it is important not to obstruct traffic, and this is what you end up doing if you stick to the limit.
I think this is of particular importance when there are roadworks on the motorway with a 30/40/50 limit, but everyone is doing between 10-15 miles above the limit and thus having to avoid you the "slow coach" in the left hand lane.
cheers
Sid
Can someone enligten me - Happy Blue!
Its simple.

The 70mph speed limit is a maximum limit, not an instruction to drive at 70mph. So drive at any speed below 70mph at which you are not casuing any blockages - i.e. keep up with the HGVs and you'll be fine... ;0)

--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Can someone enligten me - smoke
Just as a point of note the above is not my driving style. I tend to tailor my driving to the situation, i.e when its a nice clear road and i am not being a pain in the derrier i tend to sit in the left hand lane at 70mph, but when needs be, i do "join the flow of traffic" e.g. M25 overtaking the HGV on a hilly bit.
Can someone enligten me - mfarrow
My question is this, how do the IAM or other such
motoring organisations view breaking the 70 mph limit to keep up
with traffic.

I have driven with off duty IAM observers come 'L' driving instructors, and I can confirm that 70mph is only an official view!

I tend to keep to 70 where possible, as the car gets pretty noisey, and aerodynamic drag is proportional to speed squared. That might be the reason why I can manage 50mpg from a car with 4 forward gear!
Can someone enligten me - machika
A certain senior police officer from Derbyshire doesn't seem to mind being driven at well in excess of the motorway speed limit.

I can't believe he didn't know the speed the car was doing.
Can someone enligten me - Pete M
A recent event here in New Zealand may be interesting.
I don't believe this newspaper is in competition with the
Daily Telegraph...

www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?thesection=new...y**=3609653

So, in a reasonably poorly populated part of our not over-peopled country, there were at least 17 people who saw the PM being zoomed around at a rate of knots and decided to complain to police.

Well done! One thing we *don't* like is our politicians behaving like the generalissimo (ess?) of a banana republic.

Oh, and the reason for the rush? Provincial (county) rugby final match in Wellington. I suppose it's the equivalent for us, of the FA Cup Final. That's all right then.

PM
Can someone enligten me - SjB {P}
You think our speed limit is unrealastic HJ, try Sweden's motorways, such as the E4. Mile after mile of lovely blacktop with a rush hour traffic density equal to my local town at 03:00am on a Sunday!

Heaven... Perhaps, but the speed limit is rigourously enforced, and penalties severe (a ban for relatively few KPH over). The result of this is that most folks set the cruise control to a level just below the ban threshold (about 130KPH, or 80MPH in real money), and simple overtakes can take a very l o o o o n g time as a result.

I recently had to drive from Goteborg to Linkoping up the E4, but was lucky to join the motorway in harmony with a V70 taxi from Jonkoping (half way between the two). Twigging that he was probably a regular, I tucked in behind as we set off up the nigh on empty motorway. Sure enough, we would sit at 150-160KPH (100MPH) for a few miles, and then drop to 120KPH for no apparent reason. A few seconds later, a parked police car would hove in to view. This went on for the entire distance to Jonkoping, whereupon my normal 'cruise control at 130KPH' took over, but I still saved a lot of time. Thanks, matey!

Brunstrom in the soup - teabelly
The row over North Wales police using scanned and copied police statements has just had a response from the chief constable.

news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3804179

'Speeders' Invited to Appeal Against Convictions

By Hugo Duncan, PA

A police force run by the ?the godfather of the speed camera? told motorists today to appeal against speeding convictions.

North Wales Police posted letters to 6,500 people caught speeding on the region?s roads, telling them that the case against them may have been flawed.

The letters were approved by chief constable Richard Brunstrom, the Association of Chief Police Officers? head of road policing, who has caused controversy with his tough anti-speeding policy.

In the past he has branded speeders ?criminals? and ?anti-social?. He even backed the prosecution of a paramedic caught speeding in an ambulance.

In March, he was branded ?the godfather of the speed camera? by Police magazine, the official publication of the Police Federation in England and Wales.

But in today?s letter, his force admitted that motorists summonsed to court since June 6 last year may have been wrongly convicted.

It followed a hearing at Mold Crown Court in October which ruled that some statements did not comply with legal requirements because signatures by police officers had been scanned.

A police spokeswoman said: ?In those cases, if the officer operating the camera did not attend court to give evidence and the statement was read to the court, then those affected have the right to have their cases reopened.?

Superintendent Michele Williams, the force?s head of criminal justice, said: ?In the interests of transparency and fairness, we are writing to everyone who has received a summons since the procedure for scanning officer signatures was introduced.

?Whilst not everyone who receives a letter is directly affected, I believed that people deserve clarity in respect of their position. My letter aims to give them that clarity.

?We suspended the use of scanned officer signatures immediately following the judgment and officers now physically read and sign their statements.

?North Wales Police will continue to explore the use of technology in preparing case files in order to reduce the administrative burden on police officers and free them for patrol.?
teabelly
Motorist "Arrests" Traffic Cop. - Robbie
Thought this might be found amusing.

news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=3803883
Motorist "Arrests" Traffic Cop. - artful dodger {P}
Good for him. It should not be one rule for us, and another for them. It is a pity his speedo was not officially calibrated to confirm the speed.
Motorist "Arrests" Traffic Cop. - Pugugly {P}
fair's fair after all.
Motorist "Arrests" Traffic Cop. - Imagos
The irate man was absolutly correct to do this, Many Police officers think they're above the law when inside there cars. Hopefully this officer will get his just deserts.

But how did the member of the public record his speed with no equipment? No proof, his word against the officers? he may get away with it.
Motorist "Arrests" Traffic Cop. - trancer
And he may get done for speeding again if it arises that he had to match the officer's speed to note it. He may be in the right, but is it really worth the hassle?. If publicity increases, the man can kiss goodbye to any sort of lieniency from traffic police he may have further dealings with.
The car may be fitted with a "black box" of some sort - depending on its vintage. So if the punter's time is reasonably accurate they should be able to pin down as to gear elected vs engine revs which should compute the speed.
Motorist "Arrests" Traffic Cop. - Stuartli
>>And he may get done for speeding again>>

The piece states that the motorist, Neil Saunders, "caught up" with the traffic officer at junction 7.

Even if he had been doing 70mph and the police officer's vehicle 80mph, it would only have been doing the equivalent of 10mph more and would have been reasonably easy to keep in sight.

There would be no way of proving Mr Saunders had exceeded the speed limit for a second time, unless he was unluckily enough to have been followed by a second poice vehicle or even a speed camera (perhaps on one of the bridges).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
As a quid pro quo any driver will be hard pushed to prove a case against the Police Driver. He would have to give evidence of opinion as to the speed of the vehicle, which he isn't qualified to do, and have it corroborated against a suitably calibrated instrument, which unless he had a calibrated speedo or other measuring device he can't do.
Motorist "Arrests" Traffic Cop. - Stuartli
The most likely outcome is that the police officer involved will have a somewhat embarrassing few moments with his superior officer and it will then be forgotten.

Another point is that if you regard the motorist's speedometer as reading 10 per cent fast (which used to be the case) and he thought he was doing 70mph based on the instrument, the officer wasn't exceeding the speed limit after all......

Police forces themselves used to adopt this theory and then add 2.5mph. So, at an indicated 79.5mph you were doing 70mph.

It's the advent of speed cameras that has pushed the formula into the background.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Motorist "Arrests" Traffic Cop. - john deacon
isnt it true that grade one and two police drivers are permitted to exceed 70 limit, but not other limits?
Motorist "Arrests" Traffic Cop. - smokie
...only when on a shout I think...?
Motorist "Arrests" Traffic Cop. - john deacon
was always told they were given the exemption so that they could police more traffic, because they wouldnt have to stay alongside all the other traffic which of course does exactly 70 mph (in dreamland), if they were forced to stay at 70 they would only be policing the same cars

although their other technique of sitting in the inside lane at 40 always seemed a better way of meeting this objective
Flexible speeding fines unveiled - NowWheels
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4053607.stm
Flexible speeding fines unveiled - patently
6 points for 45 in a 30 is quite right, but:
"drivers caught going just over the limit could get
just two points under a new sliding scale of penalties. "

Expect many cases arguing over calibration if someone is done for being "just over" the limit, with a consequent total waste of everyone's time and effort arguing over angels on the head of a pin.

Told you it was a tightening not a rebalancing, last time HMG announced this one
Expect many cases arguing over calibration if someone is done for
being "just over" the limit, with a consequent total waste of
everyone's time and effort arguing over angels on the head of
a pin.

Patently, I think you are reading your own fears into this, without supporting evidence.

Under the current fines/points structure, you could be done for 31mph in a 30, and get your 3 points and £60 ticket.

Now most forces follow ACPO guidelines, and don't prosecute below 35mph -- but they are entitled to do so. So the comparison chart of current fines/points would have to also start at 30, just as the new one does.
Told you it was a tightening not a rebalancing, last time
HMG announced this one

I think a tightening would be a very good idea, but there's no evidence that this is a tightening.

To tighten, there would have to be some measures to override the current ACPO guidelines. Show me those measures, and I'll believe you :)
Patently, I think you are reading your own fears into this,
without supporting evidence.

Possibly. But just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me! ;-)
Under the current fines/points structure, you could be done for 31mph
in a 30, and get your 3 points and £60 ticket.

My point is that the new proposal (apparently) explicitly refers to offences just over the limit, so implies that marginal violations will now be punished.

Now, if I am flashed at 45 in a 30 there is not a lot of point arguing. I'm in the wrong and must suffer the punishment. However, at 31 there is a different situation.

I don't know the interval between flases of a Gatso, but a guess of 0.5 seconds says that at 30 you have travelled about 7 metres, which is roughly the length of the markings in the road so seems about right. On this basis, to overcome a prosecution for 31 in a 30 I would only need to prove that the car moved 6.72 metres instead of 6.94 metres. This is a difference of 22 centimetres, measured from photographs taken about 10 metres away and somewhat less than the spacing between the painted calibration marks. Or I could ask the SCP to prove that the camera's time interval was accurate to better than 16ms.

I'd have a go, and I suspect many others would.

So the Courts will be busy hearing arguments over 22cm of travel over a specific half second (+/- 16ms) many months ago. I suggest that this is a disproportionate waste of everyone's time, money and effort, given that the additional risk flowing from 31 as opposed to 30mph is marginal even if theoretically real. The Courts should be spending more time on the serious offences, not the other way round!
To tighten, there would have to be some measures to override
the current ACPO guidelines. Show me those measures, and I'll
believe you :)

I think legislation overrides ACPO guidelines...?
More on (moron?) Road Safety Bill - teabelly
Some small print which I have noticed in other news reports. Failure to identify a driver will change from 3 points to 6 points and radar detectors are to be banned within a year assuming a continuation of the current government. Both points are interesting as there are cases going through the EU courts about those issues.

The freedom of information act also comes into force on January 1st so I wonder if one could contact the local SCP and ask for details of live/dead cameras under that as they're a public body ;-)

*cough* vote tory * cough*

Only positive news is that Scotland is not going to vote for compulsory ID cards. Will the last person out of England please switch off the lights :-)
teabelly
>> To tighten, there would have to be some measures to
>> override the current ACPO guidelines. Show me those
>> measures, and I'll believe you :)
I think legislation overrides ACPO guidelines...?

If legislation required prosectution at a given threshold, then ACPO couldn't override it.

But I can't find anything in the Road Safety Bill which would reduce the freedom of police forces to set their own threshold for enforcement. If you want to find it, the bill is at tinyurl.com/47jh7

But I fear you're going to be disappointed when you find that they ain't out to get you :)
The bill seems to say:

"For the purposes of subsection (3)(b) above the appropriate number of penalty points for an offence is such number of penalty points as the Secretary of State may by order made by statutory instrument prescribe."

So the points attributable to an offence will be at his discretion. So I look at what they say they want to do, which is have 2-pointers between 30 & 35.

So I'm not convinced they're not out to get, yet. But don't worry - if I find out that they ain't out to get me on this one, I'll find another soon enough! :-D
So the points attributable to an offence will be at his
discretion.

Not exactly discretion: he can make the rules, but not interfere in individual cases.
So I look at what they say they want to do, which is have
2-pointers between 30 & 35.

What you are missing is that the legal penalty for going between 30 and 35 is currently 3 points, so the new 2-pointer is a reduction.

The issue still remains whether enforcement will kick in below 35, and the latest govt position I can find is in the "Discussion note" dated September 2004, which says at point 23
"The level of speeds at which speed limits are enforced in England and Wales is an operational matter, at individual police forces' discretion"
tinyurl.com/7xgxv
The next page proposes that the lower penalty should apply up to 39mph ... so folks like the indignant churchgoers who wrote to HJ doing 35mph would be clocking up 2points a throw instead of 3
HGVs and the 40mph NSL - LHM
This morning I was following a couple of cars behind a 40-tonner incessantly tailgating a car doing 60mph on a single-carriageway NSL road (the A428). Although I tut-tutted this behaviour (seen many times before), it did have me musing on whether the police ever bother 'pulling' HGVs for exceeding their statutory NSL of 40mph on these roads.

Let us assume that the artic was being driven at its limited 56mph. This is 140% of the NSL. Applying this to cars, that translates to 84mph true road speed. Adding a dose of speedo optimism, how many car drivers would habitually cruise at an indicated 90mph on single-carriageway roads?

Have the police taken the view that the 40mph HGV limit is too low, and turn a blind eye in the hope of keeping traffic flowing more freely? I assume that speed cameras are unable to distinguish an HGV from a car......
HGVs and the 40mph NSL - BrianW
Officially I don't think they can distinguish, but on a couple of occasions I have known an HGV to set off a camera even when under the posted limit, some sort of beam refraction I suppose.
I wonder if action would be taken if it were a 50 limit and the vehicle were clocked at (say) 47?
HGVs and the 40mph NSL - MarkSmith
If it's a 50 limit then, I believe, it's 50 for everyone - cars, motorcycles, HGVs, coaches, everyone.

-Mark
HGVs and the 40mph NSL - Number_Cruncher
If it's a 50 limit then, I believe, it's 50 for
everyone - cars, motorcycles, HGVs, coaches, everyone.
-Mark

Although I'm not an authority on this, I don't agree.

www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#103

While I don't know how keen police are on the 40 limit, I know they are keen on lurking in places where a motorway becomes a dual carriageway, and 'doing' truck drivers going over 50.

Although I only drove trucks during college and university holidays, and can't claim years worth of experience, here's my 2p. When it was reasonable to do so, I would be lax in my observance of the 40 limit on NSL single carriageways. My view was that an accident was far more likely to be caused by someone behind becoming irate and wanting to overtake in a stupid place than by my doing 50 or so in good conditions with an empty road in front of me.

Of course, I don't think the tailgating described in the original post is a good idea - at any speed.

number_cruncher
HGVs and the 40mph NSL - LHM
I think you're right, Number Cruncher - 40mph is supposed to be the maximum HGV speed on single-carriageway roads. I wasn't aware of this until quite recently, and have to say that it does seem a bit low on major arterial A-roads.
HGVs and the 40mph NSL - BrianW
"it (40mph) does seem a bit low on major arterial A-roads."

Like the A303/A30 bottleneck whose improvement Darling turned down yesterday.
HGVs and the 40mph NSL - PatrickO
Yep, it's 40 on any single carriageway road for HGV's even if posted limit is higher i.e. 50. 80% of roads this is too slow but there are some where it's about right.

Most HGV drivers ignore this limit and drive to suit the conditions including myself. Supermarket HGV's have to stick to this limit as they are satelite tracked and would be sacked if they exceeded it. Most car drivers think they are taking the p**s but they are not.

Some trailers now advertise this fact on the rear, only problem is if you are one of the ones ignoring it and you have the speed you should be driving at plastered on the back.
HGVs and the 40mph NSL - blue_haddock
Some trailers now advertise this fact on the rear

i was following a culina logistics (muller yoghurts) lorry just the other day and noticed that they had a sign saying it was only allowed to do 40 on a single carriage road
HGVs and the 40mph NSL - Sofa Spud
The single carriageway limit for goods vehicles over 7.5 tonnes gross has been 40 mph for years. When I was a lorry driver 25 years ago the 40 mph limit was disregarded just as much as now, although lorries were generally less powerful. The industry seemed to work to an unofficial 50 mph limit and bosses scheduled work accordingly.

If an LGV (HGV) is involved in an accident and was exceeding 40 mph when it shouldn't have been, that would probably count against the driver (speed is recorded on tachograph disc).

My own view is that lorries should be allowed to do 50 mph on single carriageways. It would not lead to more accidents as that's what most do anyaway. But the current situation makes a mockery of the 40 limit although I dare say the occasional driver gets done for breaking it. A new 50 mph limit should be enforced more rigorously.

What would be the result of enforcing the existing 40 limit? Safety-wise it would probably slightly reduce the number/seriousness of accidents caused by LGVs but greatly increase the number of accidents caused by impatient overtakers.

Cheers, SS