What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I Have A Question Volume 57 - Hugo {P}

****** This thread is now closed. Please see Volume 58, which is here:- ******
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=26677

{SjB, your last question has been moved to Volume 58}

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PC's. They now go in another Thread.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 57. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18847

PLEASE NOTE:

When posting a NEW question, please "Reply to" the first message in this thread, i.e. this one. This keeps each question in it's own separate segment and stops each new question from getting mixed up in amongst existing questions. Also please remember to change the subject header.

Nuisance dog - Dynamic Dave

Does anyone have any sensible suggestions on how to deal with a nuisance dog?

Well, actually the owners are the problem, not the dog. Several months ago I ran over the dog, causing over £350 worth of damage to the Vectra. For all you animal lovers out there, thankfully the dog was ok, apart from my air conditioning condenser giving him a huge headache.

I knew the dogs owners and contacted them, informing them of the accident. After much shouting and arguing, they agreed to pay for the damage to the car - still owed some other money from them but that's another story. Blood, stone - etc.

I just couldn't get it across to the dogs owners that they were responsible for the accident, and that they should keep their dog under control at all times. As it was, 2 days after the accident the dog was out wandering the village again. I managed to catch it and locked it in the shed. Another session of arguing with the owner, she eventually came to collect it. Still she couldn't see that the dog was doing any harm. Even had the cheek to ask me if I could bring it back to her!! You'd have thought after shelling out over £350, they would look after the damn thing a bit more. Looks like some people never learn as I understand it's not the first time it's been hit by a car.

I've spoken to the police (basically because I reported that an accident had happened), who in turn tell me it's a matter for the dog warden. I've contacted the dog warden, who inform me that they've written to the dog owner, and that they've followed that up with a visit to them as well.

However, still the dog roams the village. If it's not playing chicken with the traffic, it's digging up people's gardens, or tearing open black plastic rubbish sacks, which in turn the dustbin men won't take because the rubbish is no longer contained and it's not their job to pick up individual bits of strewn rubbish.

The problem with the dog warden is that they have to actually catch the dog in the act, so to speak. Without hard evidence there's not a lot they can do. Failing that, I capture it and then phone them to collect it. As my working hours clash with the dog warden, this isn't a practical solution.

The other solution is to take the dog to the local police station (10 miles away!!) and they will contact a vet to kennel it. Again, not very practical as I don't want dog hairs all over the interior of the car. The police don't collect, btw.

The idea of either the police or dog warden getting hold of the dog is to give the dog owners more grief by having to pay to get their dog back.

To summarise,
1. the police don't want to know, unless I take the dog to them.
2. the dog warden is powerless, unless either I or they catch the dog.
3. the dogs owners can't be reasoned with.

Sorry for the long post; any sensible suggestions would be appreciated.

Nuisance dog - Adam {P}
I'm going to sound stupid but does the dog warden work for the NCDL or RSPCA?

I only ask because (sort of similar situation to yours Dave) is that my friend's next door neighbours work from 8 till 6. Their dog is left in the drive (locked by a gate) all day no matter what the whether is. Needless to say, it cries and also does it's.....well....dog business. I spoke to my cousin who works for the NCDL who says if you ring them up, they could do something about it. However, if I did that, that would probably cause problems for my mate who would be the only one who knew the dog was left in the drive (if you see what I mean).

What I'm driving at (motoring...hehehe) is that approach this from the cruelty to dog issue rather than nuisance dog issue. The fact you've run over it once backs up your story - and the fact that the owners don't seem to care would, in my opinion make it an open and shut case.

I don't really know too much about these things so I could be completely wrong but I would at least explore that avenue* if I were you.

*Whilst taking care not to hit any more dogs

Hope that helps Dave,

--
Adam
Nuisance dog - Altea Ego
You inform the RSPCA. (dont bother with the NCDL).

Prepare a written statement of facts. Send the dossier to the RSPCA. They will open a case file and have a case number. An inspector will visit the owners. The owners will then be in effect be "on probation".

If they then again fail to show due care of their dog (which you can bring to their attention if you find it wandering again)it can be taken away and rehomed. The RSPCA are the only body who have the required contacts and legal processes honed and in place to enforce removal of an animal from its keepers and or effectively prosecute.

Nuisance dog - Pugugly {P}
Not the answer to the problem but may be useful for other victims of doggie RTAs is that most household insurance policies cover damage caused by a starying pet. There is no legal answer to the problem other than has already been explored.
Nuisance dog - frostbite
On BBC Countryfile today they were talking about new legislation coming in which places *much* more responsibility on pet owners.

IIRC not yet in force but fairly imminent and may help in this case.
I'm going to sound stupid but does the dog warden work
for the NCDL or RSPCA?

Adam,

I've been dealing with the local council's dog warden. I've tried on numerous occasions to contact the RSPCA by phone, but have always been kept on hold and never actually got to speak to anyone. After waiting over ½ hour at a time on the phone, I end up hanging up. As I'm already still owed money from the dog owner, I don't really want to spend even more money on phone calls.

RF's suggestion of writing to the RSPCA sounds like a good idea.

The dog keeps getting through the fence around their house. The dog owner *claims* it is too expensive to put chicken wire around their fenced property, as the have a very large fence. This fence separates their house from their horse paddock, and they say that they would have to put the chicken wire around that as well, because the dog likes running around in the paddock. They also think it is cruel to put the dog on a lead, or tie him/her up with a long chain.

All things relating to dogs (fouling, strays, etc) are often brought up at local parish council meetings, and I've even spoken to the parish councillor about it, but still to no avail. It might have something to do with that he's a friend of theirs though!!
Nuisance dog - Adam {P}
I sympathise with you Dave because they are completely in the wrong. It's up to them to keep the dog secure.

Here's a crazy idea. If they can't be bothered to secure their yard, then they should keep the dog in the house and take it for walks. Or would they think keeping a dog on a lead when walking it is cruel?

Ringing the RSPCA continiously isn't going to help if they aren't going to pick up the phone so I would do as RF says and write to them. (There is another option - I've never rung them before so I don't know the system but if they have a system like "Press 1 if you want to report a missing dog - press 2 if your dog is being chased" etc... then choose the most interesting option and they will pick up straight away - works for Sky Digital!)

Without meaning to sound too unsympathetic to the dog owners, if they can't afford to make their garden secure, then they shouldn't really have a dog should they?

Bypass the counsellor and write to the RSPCA.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
--
Adam
then they should keep the dog in the house and take it for walks.

Believe it or not, they *claim* the dog just gets out any open window. From all accounts this dog would put Harry Houdini to shame.
Or would they think keeping a dog on a lead when walking it is cruel?

The only time it's taken for a walk is when Mrs dog owner goes and mucks out the stables. She *claims* she cannot keep an eye on the dog and muck out the stables at the same time. My suggestion of perhaps putting the dog into one of the empty stables while she mucked out the others was thought of as being cruel!!
Ringing the RSPCA continiously isn't going to help if they aren't
going to pick up the phone so I would do as
RF says and write to them.

Yep, I think that's my best bet as well.
Without meaning to sound too unsympathetic to the dog owners, if
they can't afford to make their garden secure, then they shouldn't
really have a dog should they?

Exactly. One of my many heated discussions with the owners went down this route, as well as many other suggestions that also fell on deaf ears.

I'll end this now, as my personal feelings about the dog owner are being aired, rather than concentrating on what can be done about the Nuisance dog.
Nuisance dog - Adam {P}
They sound like nothing short of someone in uniform who can legally take the dog away is going to stop them. I don't know if you've had a look at the RSPCA website or indeed what you deem an emergency but if you take a look at:

www.rspca.org.uk/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RSPCA/...t

then you may find it quicker than a letter.

Good luck
--
Adam
Looking around the RSPCA site, I notice:-

"There's a stray dog in my street, can someone collect it?"

Your local council and the police are legally responsible for stray dogs and receive public funds to provide stray dog services.

Please contact your local council to arrange for the dog warden to collect the dog. Failing that, take it to the nearest permanently staffed police station. The police are not obliged to pick up or collect stray dogs but must accept any brought to police stations.

I've a feeling if I contact the RSPCA, I will go full circle and need to contact the dog warden again ;o(

I might go down the "I believe someone is being cruel to an animal? What can the RSPCA do?" route instead. After all, willingly letting your dog roam the street, IMHO, is being neglectful and cruel.
Nuisance dog - Altea Ego
"I might go down the "I believe someone is being cruel to an animal? What can the RSPCA do?" route instead. After all, willingly letting your dog roam the street, IMHO, is being neglectful and cruel."

DD, in your letter dosier you state that you have previously run over this animal and point out that harm HAS been caused to this animal by its keepers NEGLEGT.

If you write they have to assign a case number and investigate its part of their processes they have to follow (in case they ever need to prosecute)
Nuisance dog - Adam {P}
Spot on Dave - much the same as IMHO, letting your dog get run over is cruel.

If they said contact the warden, say you have explored every other avenue yet no-one seems able to do anything. If you lay it on a bit thick saying you're concerned for the poor little dog's safety - tears would be good here (just imagine you've been told you have to work with Alan all day) then I can't see them refusing to do anything.

It really is shocking that the owners don't seem bothered. If my dog got hit once, I wouldn't let him out of my sight.
--
Adam
(just imagine you've been told you have to work with Alan all day)

LOL.
Nuisance dog - Pugugly {P}
Haven't done nuch on doggie law in recent years (I need to bone up maybe). The RSPCA have no power to seize an animal (unless things have changed) an useful tip I recall being used was when an owner was reluctant to hand an animal over the Police Officer who attended with the RSPCA Inspecotr seized it under PACE (as evidence) in a highly imaginative use of the lettering the law.
Nuisance dog - Chas{P}
NCDL is now known as the 'Dog's Trust' IIRC
Trock or treat (or both) - smokie
Much as I dislike the underlying Americanism and also the implicit threat of trick if no treat is supplied, Mrs S always buys a tin of sweets for the beggars that come round our street doing this.

First whinge - why did some kids turn up last Thursday afternoon, it isn't like Penny for the Guy which can be done anytime.

2nd whinge - Mrs S dropped me at the pub :-). As she arrived back there was a small mob of 13/14 yo's on the opposite side of the road, dressed up, but as schoolgirls and the like. As she reversed onto the drive the kids actually ran behind her. She tore them off a strip about running behind a reversing car in the dark.

Nevertheless, their mates were already helping themselves to handfuls of sweets from my 16 yo who had got into the spirit herself and had meantime answered the door. Mrs S made noises that she felt they didn't deserve anything...but they got teir sweets and the door was closed.

3rd whinge - a bit later some more arrived. On opening the door, it was obvious that the previous ones had just opened their sweets and dropped the wrappers all over the drive.

What can be done to educate people how to behave properly?

Trock or treat (or both) - Dynamic Dave
What can be done to educate people how to behave properly?

Smokie, I heard on the radio today that there's to be a huge clamp down on trick or treaters this year. The 'anti social behaviour' law covers such behaviour of the little darlings terrorising neigbourhoods with eggs and the like. Bit late now as Halloween is over for this year, but there was mention of a poster available to put in your window saying that you do not welcome trick or treaters.
Trock or treat (or both) - carl_a
We have posters here from the local paper, nice bright orange one's, and they work great (or it could be we don't have any trick or treater's). Get on to your local paper and ask them to do it next year.

I want a poster for double glazing sales people however, anyone know where I can get one of those ?
Trock or treat (or both) - Dynamic Dave
We have posters here from the local paper, nice bright orange
one's, and they work great (or it could be we don't
have any trick or treater's). Get on to your local paper
and ask them to do it next year.

They're availabe from your local police station, as well as being downloadable (in pdf format) from their website.

www.thamesvalley.police.uk/crime-reduction/trick.h...m

I think that the orange background will hammer the colour cartridge of your printer though, unless you print out the b/w version.
Trick or treat (or both) - Imagos
Tried link but no working. I'll wait till next year.
Trick or treat (or both) - L'escargot
I pretend that I don't understand, and ask them whether they mean that if I do a trick they will give me a treat. I offer to show them a card trick etc., and they soon get bored and go away! (Probably muttering to themselves "What a nutter!")
--
L\'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Trick or treat (or both) - Altea Ego
It should be outlawed now. Our street is in turmoil this morning. Eggs up one house front door, one car with 2 pounds of flour over it mixed with eggs, several bins upturned in people gardens.

I have no objection to little kids chaperoned by mum or dad, but the scummy teenagers are turning it into ransom demands.
Trick or treat (or both) - Mark (RLBS)
"I have a question" not "lets have a discussion".

Thank you.
Domestic lampholders - L'escargot
It appears to me that the Edison screw (ES) design of domestic lampholder is beginning to take over from the bayonet cap (BC) design. Is this a planned policy, or is it just individual manufacturers taking advantage of a production cost reduction? I can foresee that eventually BC bulbs will become unavailable and that we will have to change all our BC lampholders to ES types.
--
Domestic lampholders - Stargazer {P}
I queried this at the local Tescburies....Loads of ES blulbs but no BC types to be found.

Turned out that they sell all the BC and due to shelving/supply problems never get the replacements!

StarGazer
Domestic lampholders - Altea Ego
I dispair at the number of different bulbs we now use in the house. The trouble with ES screws is they come in all different sizes. The days of having a box full of 60 watt BC's is now gone, we have a box with about 10 different lamp types in.

< sigh >
Domestic lampholders - Welliesorter
Could it be something to do with the influence of IKEA?
Domestic lampholders - Happy Blue!
Oh tell me about it. We bought a house last year and it has both ES and BC in both large and small sizes - so I need four types of fitting for all the lamps.

ALso, I like the low energy bulbs, and used to buy 3W low engery bulbs for the mine and the childrens reading lights. Can you buy them now? No!
--
Espada III - well if you have a family and need a Lamborghini, what else do you drive?
Footpath foundations - SjB {P}
I have a brick double width driveway that is only just wide enough for our two cars to park on without alighting on to the grass. I therefore want to increase the driveway width by extending the paving slab footpath that starts at the house end to run alongside the driveway.

Although only only intended for walking on, it is inevitable that the paving slabs will sometimes support part of the weight of a car, so I want to ensure that they don't subside when this happens.

The grass area of the front garden is largely clay, which gets water logged in winter and dries out with cracks in the summer, so what should I use to support the paving slabs, please?

TVM
Footpath foundations - Mark (RLBS)
6" of fairly small hardcore with slabs laid on a sand/cement base (no water) should do it. You'll need to thump the hard core down to make sure its settled.

On the other hand, you may want to consider not having slabs if you have a water issue. 6" small hard core thumped down with gravel on top (large gravel, not that horrible pea shingle stuff - I use Cotswold Stone chips) will allow water to drain through rather than run off and gather, but will easily support a car.

I'm presuming you don't have large trucks in and out ? If you do, then closer to 9" might be a good idea, and even more than that if trucks will repeatedly run across exactly the same line.
Footpath foundations - SjB {P}
Thanks, Mark.

No, no trucks. Just the occasional front wheel from my V70 (gargantuan turning circle and impossible to swing on in one go), and the odd visitor's car. I sometimes park my motorbike (sidestand only) at the edge of the driveway, and the Flymo flings grass everywhere that I then have to brush up, so that rules out the large chips option.

I'll go for your plan 'A'.

Thanks again.
Footpath foundations - frostbite
You will be very lucky if the paving slabs don't crack, sooner or later, as a result of just one corner of the car sitting on or travelling over them.
Footpath foundations - Stargazer {P}
Bit late, but agree with Mark.

The 'bible' as far as this type of info can be found at

www.pavingexpert.com/

Covers just about every type of paving and hard landscaping
in easy to understand terms. Also has a question and answer part if you still cant find what you are looking for.

StarGazer
Consumer Question Tool Blades - Hugo {P}
A few weeks ago I was working in Plymouth when I had to go into a DIY store to buy some blades fo my Black and Decker Jigsaw.

Now this store do not stock Black and Decker blades so all I could get was a set of their own branded blades that were recommended by them for the B and D jigsaw.

Now the first blade has snapped and left the end imbedded in the blade holder such that I can't remove it and hence can't insert another blade in and continue using my jigsaw. The fit of the blade is obviously too tight to allow removal of the end in the jigsaw.

So to summarise, I use their recommended blade for my tool. My tool is now US, they say - not our problem.

Question - does the retailer's liability in these circumstances extend to the cost of necessary repair to my jigsaw? The store says it does not. I have even been onto their head office.

Hugo
Consumer Question Tool Blades - frostbite
'Not fit for the purpose...' springs to mind.

Do you still have the receipt? If so, might be worth a word with Trading Standards.
I am not after a refund for the blades so much as an effective repair to my tool.

But yes 'Fit for purpose' was on my mind as well.

Hugo
Consumer Question Tool Blades - Altea Ego
Something springs to mind about consequential damages and indemnity there from unless negligent?

Might be more useful to get advice about removal of broken blade? I assume the blade is broken up in the carrier?

In my toolbox I have a pair of locking scissor clamps. Very effective, small end to them and grip well. Something similar might be useful to remove your blade?
Consumer Question Tool Blades - Dynamic Dave
Hugo, try a very small drop of superglue and glue the two broken halves back together. It has been known to be able to remove broken off keys from locks using it.
Consumer Question Tool Blades - borasport20
Hugo - I had a blade snap on me recently, with the broken 'head' unaccessable

To remove it, I completely removed the locking screw, held the jigsaw down firmly on the workmate, over a bucket and turned it on - hey presto, broken bit ejected. This may be worth a try.

Needless to say, safety glasses are recommended !

www.mikes-walks.co.uk
Hi all.

I think RF could be right here. I'm not about to spend too much time on this problem, it's just that the DIY store have ticked me off with their attidude recently on a number of occasions, with getting prices wrong etc. I have actually used them quite a bit in the past.

I tend to use builders merchants as I have accounts with two and Hanson Aggrigates up the road from me. But when I am working away I tend to use the source nearest to me. This store was around the corner from my flat where I was treating the tenant to a new kitchen and bathroom.

To be honest the jigsaw is old, and a replacement from B and Q at £55 (20% off) has been bought.

The time is probably better spent trying DD and Bora's suggestions. Otherwise I'll just have it as a tax loss :-)

Thanks for the replies, you've been helpful as ever.

Hugo
Do foxes fight to the death? - Manatee
Rather odd incident here yesterday - there was a dead fox in our garden pond. At first I thought it had just been ill or fallen in and drowned but on closer inspection its tail was missing and was found elsewhere in the garden. So, what predates on foxes? The chickens were still in the coop so it wasn't they who ganged up and did it in. We have badgers occasionally but I haven't seen any sign of them this year. Could it have been another fox?

This isn't just idle curiosity - nobody wants to go out to the dustbin!
Do foxes fight to the death? - Adam {P}
I'm sorry - I know it's a sombre matter but I have an image of chickens in uniforms planning an ambush...

On a more serious note - I'd say another fox simply because I can't think of anything else - unless you have a puma roaming your parts...

It's happened before
--
Adam
Funny you should say that - we're not too far from Whipsnade - I wonder if they're missing anything?
Do foxes fight to the death? - Hugo {P}
Hunt hounds??

Don't want to start a hunting debate...

H
Do foxes fight to the death? - L'escargot
When you find out what it is, please point it in my direction. I'm nobbed off with foxes making holes in my lawn!
--
Do foxes fight to the death? - Pugugly {P}
For some reason a lot of sick foxes around this year - the mange..nasty. Difficult to explain how poor old Raynard's tail came off - unless it was a bigger animal. Wouldn't put it past yobbos if they caught an ill one, was it a clean slice ?
More chewed off than chopped off I would say.
Do foxes fight to the death? - frostbite
You mentioned badgers.... look no further. Foxes in my garden (welcome) have in the past been evicted by badgers.
Ah badgers - yes, vicious brutes.
Do foxes fight to the death? - Civic8
Possibly another fox..If you did not know it foxes eat thier dead..My dad buried or rather has buried a few..Not certain about liking for water. But maybe only part the fox was able to get at. They will dig up the Dead..Drag them away and eat..Sorry but have seen it..Though my photos cannot prove??
--
Steve
Probably could tell a tale if it had one.....
Do foxes fight to the death? - Altea Ego
but that story needs a "brush" up

I could mumble on here about Tasmania, sheep farm, chuck house, Devil, two australian cattle dogs, chewed up devil running around kitchen spitting and snarling

But i wont
What swine......... - frostbite
removed the 'Vulcan' thread (and why)?

It's gone to over £7 million so it makes my predicted £20k a little silly.
What swine......... - Bromptonaut
Jeez, the guys at Bruntingthorpe trying to get XH558 flying again could use that sort of donation. See www.tvoc.co.uk/
What swine......... - frostbite
Nice link!

Only problem was I let it load in the background and that soundtrack caught me out somewhat!

I'll just go and change....
What swine......... - madux
Is this the one that was for sale this week.."Offers over £6k"?
What swine......... - Dalglish
removed the 'Vulcan' thread (and why)?

>>

let's see if and which moderator responds to your loaded question.

Planning / land ownership difficulty - Soupytwist
Some members of my family have ended up in a rather regrettable position. Their house sits on a sizeable plot of land and they have succesfully obtained outline planning permission to put some houses on part of it.
The entire project has always relied on them buying a chunk of adjoining land (which currently forms part of the garden for a house - let's call it number 35) which will provide access to the part of the plot with planning permission. A gentleman's agreement was reached some time ago regarding this and although there has been some to-ing and fro-ing regarding the price in general this hasn't been a problem.
However they have now hit a snag in that the people who own number 35 cannot confirm that they actually own the piece of land in question. Many years ago (before the family members' house was built) a couple of cottages existed on the site and the bit of land they want to buy formed an access route to them. Once the cottages were no longer occupied this access fell into disrepair and it seems that number 35 just assumed it into their garden without actually ever owning it.
So, number 35 doesn't legally own it, so they can't sell it so the whole project (there is no other access) is no longer viable.
Other than hoping another house bordering the plot and that can supply access comes up for sale and buying it, can anyone think of another solution ?

Thanks

--
Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
Planning / land ownership difficulty - frostbite
Can you (they) not ascertain the true ownership via the Land Registry or possible local council?
Apparently not, number 35's solicitors have been dragging their feet on sorting the deal out for some months now, and it's only just come to light that this problem was causing the delay and the solicitors haven been stalling in order to come up with a solution, but they can't.

I can't believe that this is the end of it - the owners of number 35 have a vested interest in resolving it - not only the tidy five figure sum for the land that they don't after all own but they've since got planning approval for a house or two on the rest of their plot - but the viability of that depends on the access as well.

--
Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
Planning / land ownership difficulty - Dwight Van Driver
I have an inkling that land that appears to be "ownerless" and is used for more than 12 years by someone else without it being contested then ownership of that patch of land falls to the user.

Other that Frostbites advice seems a visit to a Solicitor is required.

DVD
Planning / land ownership difficulty - Mark (RLBS)
>>seems a visit to a Solicitor is required.

A *good* solicitor, rather than the standard used by No. 35
Exactly, I would have thought that a letter to the Law Society about the lot they're currently using wouldn't go amiss either.
--
Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
I had an inkling that something like that was the case - but if it were that simple a firm of solicitors would not have spent the last 6 months dragging their feet over resolving the deal because this problem has cropped up.

The current owners of number 35 have not owned the house for the last twelve years - only the last 6 or so.

Another stupid thing is that the owners of number 35 don't live there, they rent it out. So I would have thought that for an extra few quid they could be persuaded to knock it down, which would mean that they pocket the sum for the access and their own planned development becomes viable again.

--
Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
Planning / land ownership difficulty - frostbite
I had an inkling that something like that was the case
- but if it were that simple a firm of solicitors
would not have spent the last 6 months dragging their feet
over resolving the deal because this problem has cropped up.

Don't you believe it!

My Mother spent years with a useless firm of solicitors over property title (still not resolved, four years after her death) which should have been perfectly straightforward after a judge's order in her favour. The longer they can drag it out, it seems, the more fees they can collect.
Planning / land ownership difficulty - Number_Cruncher
To paraphrase Don Henly;

A man with a briefcase can steal more money than any man with a spanner!

number_cruncher
Planning / land ownership difficulty - Pugugly {P}
As contrasted by the quicker and more efficiently you do a job the more likely you get more business.
Planning / land ownership difficulty - BazzaBear {P}
As contrasted by the quicker and more efficiently you do a
job the more likely you get more business.

Ah, but the solicitors in this case appear to have achieved the perfect balance.

They're being incompetent and taking ages, so therefore getting paid more, but they've managed to make their client (number 35) believe that they're quick and efficient, so aren't getting the sack.
Eurotunnel question - Rebecca {P}
We are planning a day in France tomorrow, via Eurotunnel.

3 cars are travelling from different areas, all booked in on the same train. Is there anywhere obvious to park up BEFORE the kiosks, so the three cars can go through together and ideally get the same letter? (And if we're all early, all go early etc) We don't need to end up in the same compartment on the train, but it would be helpful to be reasonably close.

Any good ideas?

Rebecca
Eurotunnel question - Altea Ego
Nah, you are straight off the motorway and at the kiosks. There is a services not far before the exit tho if my memory is right. Someone will pop on here and provide its correct name.
Eurotunnel question - Dynamic Dave

Lots of waffle removed. I know it's Friday, but posting absolute crap here doesn't help people with their questions.

If anything of relevance to help Rebecca with her question got trashed along with the waffle, then..

1. I apologise.
2. Please post it again.

DD.
Eurotunnel question - madux
I was enjoying that!
Eurotunnel question - Pugugly {P}
Rebecca,
Straight answer you wanted wasn't it.... I would suggest you meet at Junction 11 justy off the motorway before heading off down the road to Junction 11A.
Eurotunnel question - SjB {P}
Or do as we do:

Drive on *past* the Eurotunnel exit, and take the exit that immediately follows. At the end of the slip road, 'turn right' (it's a roundabout above the motorway), and having done so, take the first right again. Here is a large Tesco store, with the chance to stock up on grub, and use the restaurant. This is also the closest fuel stop to Eurotunnel, if like me you have a company petrol card that won't work on the other side of the Channel, and you want to start with a full tank.
Eurotunnel question - SjB {P}
BTW - If you take this option, the quickest way back to the Eurotunnel entrance is to cross over the motorway, and take the next exit from the roundabout. You then drive parallel to the motorway, and come round in a left hand arc to feed back in to the Eurotunnel entrance. No need to drive up to the next junction and back again.
Eurotunnel question - Rebecca {P}
Thanks very much everyone. Sorry to those who got knuckles rapped on my account. I'll never know what I missed!

Incidentally, we got tickets through the Telegraph promotion. Weekend day trip £29 per car, midweek £19

If mods permit, I can post details, the promotion runs for a while I think.
Eurotunnel question - smokie
Rebecca - I would really appreciate details of the promotion.

smokie@stones.com

Thanks
Eurotunnel question - Hugo {P}
Incidentally, we got tickets through the Telegraph promotion. Weekend day
trip £29 per car, midweek £19
If mods permit, I can post details, the promotion runs for
a while I think.

Please do Rebecca - though you may need to go to the next IHAQ thread if this one is full up by the time you get back to it.

Hugo - BR Moderator
Burglar Alarm Gardtec 800 - Adam {P}
Hello - Me again. Don't worry - I won't start off a whole host of posts irrelevant to the question again. (Sorry about that)

I actually have a question myself. I realise that it's a long shot and I also realise that it's a little dodgy should there be a 'trick of the trade' but I'll see if anyone knows anything.

We currently have a Gardtec 800 series burglar alarm. The problem is, the people who owned the house before us obviously installed a PIR sensor on the landing after the system was wired in.

To set the alarm normally, we just type the code in and off we go. However, at night, because the alarm was programmed with night mode when it was installed, the aftermarket sensor isn't covered by this so we have to remove it via a complex menu every night before we set the alarm. I understand that there is a way to program the sensor into night mode with an Engineer's Code. However (and rightly so I suppose) these aren't readliy available. I tried the Gardtec website (and many others) but you need to be a certified engineer for them to give them to you.

I've later been told that the engineer's code is a variation of the master code (which I do have) but I don't know whether this is true.

We don't want to call out a company to simply program one sensor into night mode. If we have to, we'll carry on messing around every night but I was hoping someone may be able to help.

Many thanks,

--
Adam
Burglar Alarm Gardtec 800 - Rebecca {P}
Strangely enough our alarm was programmed in a peculiar way too (not same brand) long before we moved in.

We lived with it (mostly by never setting the alarm which was an 8 step process) for a year. During the annual service, I just mentioned it to the engineer (a local firm) and he sorted it there and then. Not sure how, but at least now all we do is input the code and press Yes.

Is the system due for a service any time soon?
That's the problem. On the front, it says "For Service, call Wolf Security Systems" using a number which doesn't work (The area code is without the 1 that was introduced many years ago so a good while back). So no - no service.

We don't really want to leave the alarm off because we've been broken into before so wouldn't be too keen on making it easy for them again. I'm guessing in your case, he used the engineer's code. The niggling thing is, it's our alarm so it's frustrating at not being able to change a setting. We currently have to press 13 buttons at night. What's also worrying is that we had the garage wired into it bt a...er...friend (doesn't matter becuase it should be alarmed night and day) so that would probably have a bearing on any service.

We've lived with it for a while but I figured someone may be able to be help.

Thanks for your post Rebecca,
--
Adam
Burglar Alarm Gardtec 800 - Altea Ego
Does th number for wolf security on the front contain the digits 020 7372 0773?
Burglar Alarm Gardtec 800 - SjB {P}
When I decorated our lounge, I needed to remove the PIR sensor, which triggered the anti tamper mechanisim and the alarm sounded. Duly switched off a few seconds later, the alarm remained in Engineer Mode and could not be armed.

I simply rang the original installer, proved who I was, and asked for Engineer Mode to be deactivated on the basis that I was not prepared to pay for a call out each time.

The extremely helpful guy on the other end talked me through how to enter the Engineer Code to bring the system 'alive' again, and then explained how to disable the Engineer Mode function all together.

Now, whenever I trigger the alarm when decorating, I simply silence it with the normal code, and the system then reverts to normal service, omitting the tampered sensor automatically until the cover is put back on.
That's interesting. When we had a power cut, it came up "Power Failure - Tamper" but could be set using the master course.

Who do you think I should ring if I were to go down this avenue? May as well give it a try.

Many thanks again
--
Adam
Burglar Alarm Gardtec 800 - Rebecca {P}
Just to clarify - our alarm is serviced by a local firm that looked after our alarm in our old house. We like and trust the engineer so just asked him to take over the new one when we moved. You don't necessarily need the original company. In theory they would service a DIY installation if needed. See if local friends/neighbours can recommend a company.

Also - just check your home insurance. If you have declared you have an alarm and therefore benefitted from a lower premium, it's often an insurance condition that it is serviced annually.
glar Alarm Gardtec 800 - Adam {P}
Thanks for that SJB and Rebecca. Just realised mods, I posted the question wrong (not in reply to the first post...sorry!)
--
Adam