What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XXI - Dynamic Dave

****** Thread closed. Please see vol XXII for further discussions. ******

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=25614

Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XX is closed and this thread has been started.

For the continued discussions around the subject of speeding, usually excluding cameras which are in another thread.

Older versions will not be deleted, so there is no need to repost any old stuff.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18848

DD,
BackRoom Moderator
jay kay - Imagos
news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3630908.stm

his insurance prices must be horrific, still he can afford it.

Does he genuinely regret it or is it 'i'm rich i can drive as fast as i like'?
jay kay - BazzaBear {P}
I reckon he genuinely regrets getting caught.
jay kay - Bromptonaut
"I would point out I was driving a 4x4 and not a fast sports car," he said.

Given the instability of 4x4 vehicles I should have thought that would reinforce rather than mitigate the offence.
jay kay - patently
"Kay claimed he was racing home to stop a crazed fan burning down his mansion. "

I hate it when that happens to me, too.
jay kay - NowWheels
"Kay claimed he was racing home to stop a crazed fan
burning down his mansion. "
I hate it when that happens to me, too.

Patently, surely your extensive fan base doesn't consist solely of the crazies? ;-)
jay kay - patently
Being crazy is an essential precondition, sadly.
jay kay - BazzaBear {P}
I'm a big fan of patently's, and I'm certainly not crazy.

Burble burble burble.
jay kay - patently
Please don't burn the mansion down though...
jay kay - IanJohnson
What amazes me is that people still stand up in court and ask for clemency on the basis that they need their licence - pity they don't drive as if they need their licence.

JK appears to be a serial offender with a disregard of the law and will use whatever argument he pleases to get off.
jay kay - BobbyG
IIRC on this article, where it is being stated that it was a 4x4, I am pretty sure it was an Audi 4WD Avant that he was driving, not a big off roader.

The stretch of road he was done on, the A9, is littered with speed cameras as it is a very dangerous road with a history of accidents.

Not in any way defending him, but if he had been stuck behind slow moving cars, tractors maybe, and it opens out to a dual carriageway, you can see why he may have floored it to get past everybody.

We have all done it ourselves although maybe not to the speeds he reached. Another road which is similar to this will be the A66 to Scotch Corner. Sometimes it is single lane, through villages etc, and then every so often it opens up to a dual carriageway to allow overtaking.
jay kay - patently
I'm equally surprised at the pathetic plea that "I need my licence". Presumably on the grounds that penalties should only be applied if the offender doesn't mind. Sounds like a lawyer with nothing persuasive to say, to me.

Without commenting on the individual (never met him, don't know the full story) Jay Kay seems like a good example of the type that needs a ban - he has ample funds to meet any motoring fine without pain and has displayed a repeated willingness to break the law. A ban will actually affect him and may cause him to think again.

His explanation that he was stuck behind slow traffic & then a d/c opened up is familiar; but the moment concerned is a time for even greater care as you are planning to move swiftly past others who may themselves want to overtake. And accelerating from (presumably) 60 or less to 100+ is a significant move. It's not like getting caught at 65 when overtaking.

I'm with the magistrate on this one, I think.
jay kay - Truckosaurus
And accelerating from (presumably) 60 or less to 100+ is a
significant move.

Although to be fair, any car with any sort of oomph will get from 60 to 100 in a few seconds, my own Saab can start an overtake at <60mph in 4th, be past two cars tailgating each other and then be doing 90mph when you pull in, necessatating application of the brake to return to a more suitable cruising speed.
jay kay - patently
Sorry - I didn't mean it was difficult, but it is an increase of your speed by a factor of 2/3 while in close proximity to others. It's a time to be alert, take care and stay in control. 105 suggests that there was either some lack of awareness or some lack of restraint.
jay kay - Truckosaurus
105 suggests that there was either some lack of awareness
or some lack of restraint.

More than likely the latter. Although he can't have been looking in his mirror to spot the 'jam sandwich'.
jay kay - Duchess
"I'm with the magistrate on this one, I think."

Absolutely.

Not sure how much the ban would actually affect him - the contents of his garage would indicate he can easily afford a chauffeur for a few months. Better a couple of weeks inside and some serious community service - road sweeping maybe?

jay kay - Adam {P}
Steady on. I'm sure the fine is simply an alloy wheel for the Enzo and I'm sure he's going to find alternative arrangements but I can't really see him doing 105 near Scotch Corner or wherever it was in a hurry.

Just so we're under no illusion, I'm not going to defend him like I usually would - 105 there I suppose is stupid but throwing him in the slammer seems a little harsh. You read about these otherwise law abiding citizens getting thrown in jail for doing 150+. Dangerous yes. On the same level as murder?*

Thanks

*Don't all say if they hit people at 150 they will kill someone.
Adam
jay kay - Truckosaurus
JK also has a very nice looking Mercedes G-wagen (probably a not too slow V8 powered one), plus a Ferrari liveried motorhome.

His Audi was a 'gift' in exchange for performing a free concert at last year's Le Mans 24hr race, which was very good, if a little self indulgent in places.

The only thing which surprises me about this story is that he got done by a proper Policeman rather than a camera. The Bobby might have let a normal member of the public off with a warning but couldn't let the opportunity to book a celeb pass. :-)
jay kay - patently
The Bobby might have let a normal member of the
public off with a warning but couldn't let the opportunity to
book a celeb pass. :-)

Not at 105. I think we'd all be done if spotted at that speed.
jay kay - MichaelR
I beleive the car in question was an Audi RS6 Avant.

To say this is a potent car is putting it mildly. I would be suprised if it takes more than a few seconds to go from 60 to 100 - I reckon what he did was see the dual carriageway, give it a few seconds of pedal, get past everyone, and pull back in.

Not actually *that* dangerous, especially in a car as competent as that, and lets face it, he's probably a more experienced driver than most of us.

The worrying thing here is that they seem to have thrown the book at him just becuase of who he is.

I've never heard of someone receiving 6 months for 105mph before. a 56 day ban is the longest I've heard of and that was for 120mph!
jay kay - AngryJonny
I've never heard of someone receiving 6 months for 105mph
before. a 56 day ban is the longest I've heard of and that
was for 120mph!

It's his fourth ban. He already had 9 points on his licence. Seems fair enough to me.

jay kay - AngryJonny
It's his fourth ban. He already had 9 points on his licence.
Seems fair enough to me.

No, wait... maybe I understood that. He got 3 points after the event taking his total to 9. I don't know if that includes this offence or not.

Even so... something of a repeat offender.
jay kay - frostbite
A previous neighbour of mine collected a 6 month ban + £500 fine for 115mph in his Sierra Cosworth, don't know what his 'previous' was though.

I have been following this thread all day without clicking on the link, trying to work out who 'Jay Kay' is - Jeremy Klarkson??

Even having used the link, I'm not a lot wiser........silly old burger.
jay kay - BobbyG
Just to clarify, it was a 6 month ban from driving, not a 6 month prison sentence as some seem to believe.
jay kay - Mark (RLBS)
>>trying to work out who 'Jay Kay' is

He's one of them popular music singers.
jay kay - Altea Ego
No Sympathy for him. Claims to be a better than good driver. Better than good drivers dont get caught, he obviously has worse then good awareness of his current driving environment.
jay kay - Imagos
He's one of them popular music singers.

and a petrolhead too, you never know he may even browse the backroom..
jay kay - patently
I have been following this thread all day without clicking on
the link, trying to work out who 'Jay Kay' is -
Jeremy Klarkson??

Member of a once popular beat combo. Earned huge amounts of cash which he now generously donates to as many car dealerships as he can.
jay kay - patently
and a petrolhead too, you never know he may even browse the backroom..

Well he won't be out driving, I guess.

Just in case, my summary was not meant critically ;-)
jay kay - Imagos
got a habit of writing off supercars apparently..www.lambocars.com/crashed/se.htm
Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XXI - NowWheels
(Replying to patently in the prev thread, www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=24532&...e )
>> the speeed buumps

>>
Were you going over one when you typed that, NW?

No, I was doing rapid maneouvres to avoid the forum-calming measures :)
Anyway, before the thread heads off in its usual direction, any thoughts on:

>>
1. Exactly what is the distinction between this being "not because
the Department no longer believes in its accuracy" and being
"because the Department now believes it to be inaccurate"
and why has one been drawn?

I can only guess from my experience of working with govt people, but I guess that the advice to ministers would be something like this:

Minister, the figure is broadly useful, but these things are never 100% accurate because they are based on subjective assessments, so any figure is going to be attacked by pickers of nits.

This figure has already become mired in the pedantry of some folks who basically oppose any speed control, and the definitional disputes around classifying the role of speed in accidents are starting to obscure the key point that speed is an important factor, one which we do need to continue to control.

There's no further benefit in continuing that argument either way: to do so would only continue to fuel those who are determined to resist any restraint on their speed.

So let's just drop the use of a figure in this argument, and focus instead on the key point -- that far too many drivers routinely break speed limits, that self-restraint sadly doesn't work in too many cases, and that we need more enforcement.

There are folks out there who want to waste their time arguing such silly notions as that when the cause of a crash is classified as "exceeding speed limit", it doesn't really mean that the accident was caused by speed. Let's leave them to enjoy themselves, and get back to work.

2. Can we trust anything said by HMG any more?

Up to you. Some people find it easiest to assume that everything they hear is porkies, 'cos it saves them having to do the hard work of trying to understand the complexity behind it and the necessity of making decisions to save lives.
Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XXI - patently
Ah - so HMG's statistics are merely a means for supporting the desired conclusion. Thought so.
the hard work of trying to understand the complexity behind it

Which is what HMG avoids through simplistic slogans. To all our detriment. Remember - fatalities are increasing.
Ah - so HMG's statistics are merely a means for supporting
the desired conclusion. Thought so.

Not at all; HMG argues that it has a clear statistical base for its work, but I'm suggesting that they have probably decided that there is no point in trying to have the statistical debate with folks who seek to obfuscate.

I'm sure that govt oficials will have read the BBC Today programme's report on the subject, which the BBC summarised (with Stone's consent:

The report by Professor Mervyn Stone of University College London, supports the official view that cameras do save
lives.

That summary (see tinyurl.com/3f8ch ) also criticises the govt use of statistics, as does the full report. But it concludes clearly that cameras are needed, and should be hidden, even if some of the staistics have been badly handled.

Stone describes Smith as "a gadfly par excellence", and you won't find policy-makers anywhere who want to fritter away time getting bogged down in debates with gadflys. They have a duty to focus on the big picture, which is why they are not dropping the stats -- just taking care in their presentation to give the gadfly fewer points of attack.
Fair point, NW.

At least, it would be if they then dealt seriously with the gadflies by discussing the statistics with them. Paul Smith rarely receives replies. My experience is the same - I asked Oxford CC why they lowered a speed limit several months ago and despite several reminders and acknowledgements am yet to receive an answer.

NW, I don't know your level of statistical knowledge, but please rest assured that I am not a statistical naif. I know enough to be able to see that Smith has raised questions that deserve answers. The absence of any disturbs me. If it were that easy to dispose of his questions, then they should do so.

Given that HMG has also changed the definition of s serious injury, the only statistics that we can look at are the death rates. Which are increasing.
Patently, I'm not quite a statistical hignoramus (I did do some degree-level stats) but I claim no expertise, and I'm sure you are muchly better-qualified than me.

So I'm happy to leave it to an expert who seems to have worked quite rigorously on the issue, and take Stone's overall conclusions -- that more stats work is needed, but that what we have so far is enough to support more cameras, and especially hiding of them.

As to discussing things with gadflies, hmm. I've been on the receiving end of that myself, and the common factor with them is that you can never reach a conclusion, 'cos all they want to do is to find something else to throw. You could waste several lifetimes indluging them, and not get anywhere -- and my experience of govt officials is that their patience with that approach is thin. Their job is to find solutions, not to pick endlessly over every last detail.

Smith's solution of massively upgrading driver skills is unworkable: as Stone notes, "I find that I am living in a different world from the one that might render Mr Smith's proposal feasible."

Smith also conveniently ignores all the many other reasons for limiting speed, and tries to reduce it to the single goal of accident-reduction. That's partly govt's fault, but it's a good reason not to get sidetracked into the pedantry.
I'm sure you are muchly better-qualified than me.

I'm not!
As to discussing things with gadflies, hmm

Yes, but refusing even to reply suggests a contempt not appropriate to a citizen of the country they purport to serve. I'm not saying that they should fight on until Smith agrees with them, but that they should at least address the issues. Then others such as I can read his website, see the replies (which he is careful to post) and form their own conclusions.

As it stands, I read his website, see a question that deserves an answer, and see no answer forthcoming. And I form my own conclusion. One that is consistent with a whole range of HMG's attitudes to statistics.
more stats work is needed

Any evidence that this is being done?
Strike First? - BrianW
Last night in north London going home I notice a speed camera flash behind me.
My speedo indicated that I was doing around 28mph.
Two possibilities:
1. Faulty equipment
2. A false echo.

I presume that examination of the film against the road stripes will exonereate me, but maybe not if the flash interval was incorrect.

Who do I write to to:
1. Complain about a "false accusation"
2. Get my side of the story in first
Strike First? - Stuartli
Wait.

You might never hear anything. Getting "your side of the story in first" indicates a level of guilt.
Strike First? - Dynamic Dave
I presume that examination of the film against the road stripes
will exonereate me,

It should do. Each stripe represents 5mph covered. So providing no more than 6 lines appear between picture one and picture two, (assuming it's a 30mph limit) you'll hear nothing.
Strike First? - midlifecrisis
Had this happen to me once. Enquired and found that they sometimes use cameras to 'conduct traffic surveys'!!!!
Strike First? - tartanraider
This has happened several times to me no NIP so far!
Strike First? - L'escargot
I'm led to believe that the majority of cameras don't have any film in them because of the cost.
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Strike First? - Dynamic Dave
I'm led to believe that the majority of cameras don't have
any film in them because of the cost.

I thought film was relatively cheap these days ;o)
Strike First? - frostbite
I would guess it's the cost of the man who reloads them.

Heaven help us if they go digital.
Strike First? - Stuartli
>>Heaven help us if they go digital.>>

"If?"....:-))
Strike First? - Stuartli
This will enlighten you...:-)

www.radardetectors.co.uk/police_speedtraps.htm
Strike First? - volvoman
Yes I'd heard that Monsieur Gastropod. If it's true it rather contradicts the argument that speed cameras are only there to generate revenue.
Non-receipt of speeding NIP(again!) - PhilW
Sorry to raise this subject again (and yes DD I have done a forum search and spent the last hour or so reading hundreds of past posts on it!!)
My son (lives in Leeds) this morning received a reminder saying that he had not replied to an NIP asking for confirmation of driver identity for an offence of exceeding the 30 mph speed limit westbound on Nuthall Rd, Nottingham on 1st of August this year caught on camera. He was there and he says that he could have been exceeding 30, though he is usually v. careful. This "reminder" obviously also threatens him with large fine, penalty points etc.
Being an honest sort of chap, he rang up and told them that this was the first he knew of it and he has checked with housemates and they have no recollection of having signed for registered post or recorded delivery etc.
The woman he spoke to said that they would send a copy of the original NIP which he would get by Friday.
Now:-
a)Does the 14 day rule apply or does he have to prove that he didn't receive it? (rather difficult!!)
b)Do the NIP people have to prove that they sent it within the 14 days?
c)Even if they have proof that they posted it can he still say that he didn't get it and that they are therefore outside the 14 days?
d)Are penalty points always given for speeding even if he was just over?
e)In saying please send me a copy of the original (because the reminder doesn't quote the fine if he pays up, just the penalty he could face if he doesn't) has this negated the 14 day "rule"?
f)Have I totally misinterpreted what has already been said about the 14 day "rule" on this board - including the sticky above?.

Thanks for your help - sorry for long post
PhilW

Non-receipt of speeding NIP(again!) - Dynamic Dave
and yes DD I have done a forum search....

Did I say you hadn't?

No, but I thought you might tell me to!!
And you seem to be able to find an answer to everything, whereas I search and never come up with quite the answer I need!!
By the way, it was also my son's birthday today - nice present!!
Non-receipt of speeding NIP(again!) - Dynamic Dave
OK, with regard to the 14 days, I\'m not sure if Cheeky\'s post (currently a \"sticky\" at the top of the page) is of any help or not? www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=24954

If it\'s any consolation, wish him a happy birthday from all of the BackRoom ;o)
Thanks for reply DD.
I've read Cheeky's post and also lots of others (including how the Hamiltons avoided a ticket a year or so ago) but the question not answered by these is what if the NIP was not received at all? Would it be assumed that this was the truth or would they assume that the NIP was posted and that the "not received" line was a big fib to try and avoid the penalty? Presumably the NIP people would have postal records that could prove when they posted it and is proof of posting proof of receipt?
If my son can say he never received it (which is the case - he's an honest character) and therefore avoids the penalty because of the "14 day rule" why wouldn't many(most? all?)people use this as an excuse to avoid fines/penalty points?
Non-receipt of speeding NIP(again!) - Mark (RLBS)
a) yes
b) yes
c) no
d) yes
e) no

But if he realises it was him speeding and he pays the fine, there'll be no hassle. They don't have to accept it when its exceeded their time limits, but they can if they wish and virtually always do.
Thanks Mark - your post must have appeared while I was typing my previous one.
In summary, and if I have interpreted the answers correctly, it seems it might be best if he just accepted the situation and coughed up - which is what he was going to do before I said I would try to find more about the 14 day rule.
He doesn't remember the offence, didn't see a camera flash but then he also doesn't know the area so although he is usually someone who sticks to the speed limit, as he said he might have thought it was a 40 limit or not seen the signs.
He'll just have to be extra careful and save up for an increased insurance cost I guess.
Thanks for the help
PhilW
Essentially the payment of the fixed penalty is a concession which is offered to you provided you comply with a set of rules and criteria.

Indeed there are also a set of criteria which the authorities are supposed to comply with. One of those is the "14 day rule". Essentially that condition means it must be posted in such a manner that in the normal course of events it could be reasonably expected to arrive before the expiry of the 14 day limit.

Whether it actually arrives or not within 14 days, in fact whether or not it actually arrives at all, is not relevant.

If he was in that area at that time, or at least is unable to prove that he was not, then I would recommend he bit the bullet and paid.
Thanks Mark - clearly put and I think he will "bite the bullet" because he knows he was there and that therefore he must have done it, albeit unintentionally.
However, is there not a little disagreement between your second & third paragraphs ("Whether it (NIP) actually arrives or not within 14 days, in fact whether or not it actually arrives at all, is not relevant").

and DVD's statement in the Cheeky sticky above? ("if NOIP is received outside the 14 days then it is questionable that this is lawful and one should write back pointing out the late receipt of the NOIP which invalidates proceedings for speeding").

I think that I\'m correct, but it would be fair to say that DVD may well know better than I.

He\'s not been around much lately, perhaps he\'ll show up and clarify. And if not maybe pugugly will drag himself away from his law books long enough to tell us.

Non-receipt of speeding NIP(again!) - Dwight Van Driver
Phil

Go to

www.tinyurl.com/d2fp

Road Traffic Offenders Act 1988 Section 1

This outlines the law on NOIP. Look in particular at:

1,(c) (ii),
1A (c),

So on flash of camera SCP have an obligation to send NOIP to Reg Keeper to arrive within the normal course of the post within 14 days (not counting day of offence) - Nicholson v Tapp [1972] otherwise they cannot take proceedings. In my day, NOIP was raised in duplicate, the original sent out to Reg. Keeper. The copy was endorsed with a signed Certificate of Service under Mags. Court Act as to date and how served and filed with case papers for production as Court if necessary.

Sending a duplicate NOIP outside the 14 days does not release SCP from their obligation and prove service within 14 days as per the Act.

Whilst 3 appears to put the nail in the coffin it does allow a NOIP to be contested in that the various stages were not complied with and this can start at the Conditional Offer stage - R v Edmonton Justices, ex p Brooks [1960]. Some have written to SCP pointing out defect in service of NOIP and have been successful, presumably where SCP cannot prove the letter of the law has been complied with. All aspects of service mentioned i.e. verbal, summons etc have to be disproved - Sanders v Scott [1961] and a defendant has to prove on a balance of probabilities that NOIP was not given. Merely to raise a doubt in the minds of the Magistrates is not sufficient- Offen v Ransen [1980]

So, if an initial approach to SCP re defective service goes nowhere, then the next avenue is to argue your case before Magistrates which will lead SCP to try and prove service and the Mags to come to a decision.

As to penalty point question I have known them not to have been awarded in certain cases involving due care etc but not speeding unless totting is involved and the hardship card accepted.

Hope this helps.

DVD

PS Mark - I'm still here but I detect a more law abiding lot on site so my comments not required......Given them fags up yet?????
Non-receipt of speeding NIP(again!) - Simon
Nuthall Road, Nottingham is lined with overhead Specs cameras, hence you won't see a flash. Obviously he must have gone between at least two of the cameras too quickly, ie he covered the distance between them too fast and therefore must have exceeded the speed limit.
Thanks very much for that DVD. After what you have said and the "hassle" involved I feel that he will (to quote Mark) "bite the bullet", perhaps after an initial approach, which will probably fail!
It seems a bit unfortunate because he has been driving for nine years without incident and I feel that he is a sensible driver who drives according to the conditions with good awareness, consideration for others and I always feel very much at ease when he is driving - he is not a risk taker.
Thanks to all who responded
PhilW

Quick update. Son asked for a copy of NIP to be sent to him last Wed first class post because he was going on holiday on Sunday. Copy did not arrive either Thurs, Fri or Saturday. I have just rung up Notts police and they are sending yet another form. Original was sent 9 the August by Second class post and never arrived. Now 6 weeks since offence and he still hasn't had the NIP thing asking for driver confirmation! Notts police apparently "don't go to the expense" of using recorded delivery or even first class post. Thought occurs that courier delivery might be cheaper than having to send out multiple copies!
Non-receipt of speeding NIP(again!) - RichardW
Phil

\"Original was sent 9 the August by Second class post \"

If this is really true, then I think there is no case to answer, as the mimnimum to consider the NIP served is first class post. Have a look on www.pepipoo.com where there is an active forum. Not that I condone speeding, but we must make the \'partnerships\' accountable, and get them to play by the(ir) \'rules\'.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Non-receipt of speeding NIP(again!) - Adam {P}
I agree. They've cocked up and now are taking advantage of your good nature. Anyone else who hadn't told them probably wouldn't have heard anything more. If they did, they could simply say that they never received it.
Adam
Non-receipt of speeding NIP(again!) - paulb {P}
Agree with RichardW - I had a look at the RTOA using the link kindly provided by DVD, and it quite clearly states that the NOIP is only deemed served, if posted within 14 days of the alleged offence, if registered post or recorded delivery is used.

Second-class post ain't either of those as far as I am aware! If they use it to "save costs", then they are showing a rather unwise reliance on people's lack of awareness of the law.
Be wary folks.

First papers arriving to Reg keeper should be NOIP and S 172 papers to name and shame. Don't get them mixed up. The 14 day rule only applies to the NOIP part. S 172 does not require Reg/Rec Del/First Class post.

DVD
DVD and others,
The only thing received so far is RM172(reminder saying he hasn't replied to NIP and saying he could get a £1000 fine if he doesn't). The woman I spoke to at Notts Police and mentioned Road Traffic Act to (as DVD quoted) replied that she hadn't a clue what it said about 14 day rule because she had never read any road traffic act, anyway, she didn't care because the NIP had been sent out on 9th August so they had done what they were supposed to! I pointed out that I wasn't trying to be stroppy or argumentative and that my son would probably have paid up straight away had he been told what the fine was but as things stood it was now 6 weeks from the offence and he still didn't know what speed he was supposed to have done or what the fine was. I remained calm and reasonable but I have to say that the lady concerned was starting to shout at me as if I was being very unreasonable in asking for a copy so that my son knew the fine and could pay it! She did say however that they would grant him another 28 days before taking proceedings!
Thanks for all the input everyone!
PhilW
RichardW,
Thanks for link to Pepipoo - some very interesting reading. Also lead me to Safespeed which also has some interesting stuff.
for those interested (Safespeed is particularly about scameras)
link is
www.safespeed.org.uk/
PhilW
P.S. Richard - son was driving a Cit at the time!

Phil

Offence 1st August.

They say NOIP sent out 9th August - so they will have a record of this.

Has to arrive before last post of 15th August.

Then it appears on the argument of non receipt there is none as
sub section 3 of Sect 1 RTO kicks in.

If they are bluffing on date sent out then you will have to call them by pleading NG and case at mags Court.

DVD
DVD,
Thanks again.
Despite spending hours on this I am still confused by the fact that the RTA says:-
"(2) A notice shall be deemed for the purposes of subsection (1)(c)
above to have been served on a person if it was sent by registered post or
recorded delivery service addressed to him at his last known address,
notwithstanding that the notice was returned as undelivered or was for any
other reason not received by him."

yet speaking to woman at Notts police she said it had been sent "second class post".
Subsection 3 is, I presume, to prevent people from receiving the NIP and just ripping it up and then denying receipt. But then if you did really not receive it how on earth can you prove that?
Elsewhere I think you have mentioned that they can use first class, but I can't find this in the act.
I have a feeling that I am being a bit thick about this but I find legal jargon very difficult to understand!
On the other hand I also don't see the need for the "14 day rule" and since it would appear that he did commit the offence it would be easier to just accept the punishment.
Thanks for your patience
Phil
Non-receipt of speeding NIP(again!) - patently
Usual warning: me not lawyer....

However, I wonder if part of the explanation lies in the word deemed - i.e. to mean that the notice can be considered by the Court to have been duly served even if it didn't actually turn up, provided that it was sent in accordance with subs (2)?

Thus, if it was sent in a different manner, such as second class post, but actually arrives in time then all is well. And if it doesn't arrive then all you have to do is browbeat the offender into admitting it.

I have to say, if the use of second class post saves a significant amount of money, they must be sending out a very large number of NIPS...
Non-receipt of speeding NIP(again!) - BrianW
"I have to say, if the use of second class post saves a significant amount of money, they must be sending out a very large number of NIPS..."

My calculator says that three million seven pences is two hundred and ten grand.

Enough to buy five more scameras.
Look at this way Phil and the Act again.

Act starts off by saying person shall not be convicted for an offence requiring NOIP, in your case speeding, unless NOIP is served within 14 days.

Service can be :

a verbal warning at the time - stop by Pold who must say words to the effect that you will be reported for the consideration of the question of prosecuting you for exceeding a speed limit or similar words so that you are under no illusion that you are being reported.,or

Receipt of a summons within 14 days, or

NOIP served within 14 days on him (driver) OR person registered as the keeper of a vehicle at the time of speeding offence.

Method of service has to be

1. Delivering it to him (personal service) or
2. Addressing it to him and leaving at last known address (personal visit and putting through letter box),or
3. By sending it by Registered Post, Recorded Delivery Service of First Class Post to last known address.

Note SECOND CLASS POST is not mentioned so if it is used then the Notice has not been served in accordance with the Act and therefore void.

Now if they send the NOIP out (Sub Section 2) by either Registerd Post or Recorded Delivery Service then providing it is sent out so that in the ordinary course of the post it can be delivered within 14 days (plus the day of the offence) then that is good service even if it is returned as undelivered or for any reason not received. Bear in mind that in this case FIRST CLASS POST is not covered and as Reg/Record delivery require a signature so presumably it is there to cover the moon light flitter attempting to evade prosecution or by not accepting post. Note again SECOND CLASS post is not mentioned so non delivery claim cannot be used.

Sub Sec 3 tells you that the requirements of Section 1 shall deemed to have been complied with unless and until the contrary is proved . You have to argue its hasn't.

If the woman stated that the first NOIP sent out within 14 days was by SECOND CLASS POST then the SCP have not conformed to the Act and cannot proceed/ issue a Conditional Offer. If they will not accept their wrongdoing then the only other course open is to inform them you wish to plead Not Guilty and have the matter heard at Court, where you will give evidence on oath that the NOIP was not received etc. It will be then for the SCP to show that they have conformed with the letter of the law by sending other than by second class post and in sufficient time for it to be received in 14 days. The Magistrates will then have to decide who is telling porkies.

Like a lot of matters these days, Units are being staffed by people with very little training and no conception just exactly what is required at Law.

May I suggest, and to put your mind at ease, visiting C.A.B. and having a word with their free Duty Solicitor. There may be grounds for disputing the NOIP.

DVD
Non-receipt of speeding NIP(again!) - patently
DVD,

You are utterly selfess. Collectively, we owe you many thanks.

I sincerely hope that I never have cause to owe you those thanks personally, but nevertheless, thank you.
"Units are being staffed by people with very little training and no conception "

How do you know they are childless?

Try "concept".
Non-receipt of speeding NIP(again!) - John R @ Work {P}
Oooo Brian, you are a pedant, but see 2b from Dictionary.com

con·cep·tion Pronunciation Key (kn-spshn)
n.

a) Formation of a viable zygote by the union of the male sperm and female ovum; fertilization.
b) The entity formed by the union of the male sperm and female ovum; an embryo or zygote.

a) The ability to form or understand mental concepts and abstractions.
b) Something conceived in the mind; a concept, plan, design, idea, or thought.

a) Archaic. A beginning; a start.

Regards,
John R @ Work :¬)
I think that in the context it should be concept.
But my comment was a bit TIC anyway.
Non-receipt of speeding NIP(again!) - John R @ Work {P}
Brian,

I guessed as much, so was mine.

That's the problem with the English language, some times it is too variable,

Regards,
John R @ Work :¬)
DVD,
Thank you very much indeed for that lengthy and comprehensive reply which has clarified the situation so that I now know exactly where my son stands with regard to this. Hope I haven't tried your patience too much!
I am now composing (or should that be conceiving? -no doubt Brian and John will let me know!!)a letter to Notts Police which starts "Dwight Van Driver informs me that............!!!!!
Thanks again - will post again with what happens when son gets back from holiday and I have had further contact with Notts Police.
PhilW