What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XVIII - Dynamic Dave

Thread closed. Please see vol XIV for further discussions.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=23715

Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XVII is closed and this thread has been started.

For the continued discussions around the subject of speeding, usually excluding cameras which are in another thread.

Older versions will not be deleted, so there is no need to repost any old stuff.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18848

DD,
BackRoom Moderator
The safe 100mph road? - NowWheels
The various speed cameras and speeding threads shed much heat, but also a little light amongst the smoke.

One consistent theme that emerges is demand for higher speeds on motorways, so I thought out might be interesting to explore an area where there might be room for agreement. (That's partly because I've been pleasantly surprised to find that I can reach several points of agreement with patently, and I think that this could be explored further)

I'm not trying here to stake out a position, but rather to see if there a chance of agreement, by asking a rather different (and much narrower) question:

How could we create roads which safely permitted speeds well in excess of the current limits? (say 100mph)

Discussions in the back room and references to external sources have reaffirmed that motorways are the fastest existing roads, and also clearly the safest (at least per vehicle mile, tho maybe not so clearly by other measures).

Lots of drivers want to go faster than the 70mph limit. There are some good reasons to support this, not least that modern cars can safely proceed much higher speeds than their precessors. However, there are problems in permitting this on existing motorways, including speed differentials and too many difft types of traffic.

Let's leave aside the wider questions such as energy use and pollution (where I have deep reservations), and concentrate instead on the narrower question of safety issues involved in creating roads where drivers could legally and safely proceed at 100mph. (We could consider other figures, but 100 seems like a useful gain over 70, and still achievable by the average mid-sized hatchback)

It seems to me that there are a few crucial features of this safe 100mph road. I'm just throwing them out as ideas :)

1/ Reduced speed differentials. Differentials create bunching, lane-changing and overtaking.

2/ Upper and lower speed limits. Reduced differentials means resticting speed, so no trucks in the slow lane, and no doing 105 either: maybe a range of 90-100 would be required.

3/ Strict enforcement of the upper-and-lower limits: they are crucial to the road's safety, so we'd need either lots of cameras on some new in-car technology.

4/ Anti-congestion measures. Access to the road would have to be limited to prevent the stream of 100mph traffic piling into the hold-up.

5/ Restricted access: the 100mph road would be unsafe for a clapped-out Mini or even a brand-new Smart car! So only approved vehicles would be permitted -- most mid-sized and larger newish cars should qualify.

6/ The standard driving test would probably be inadequate, and special permits (such as an enhanced driving test on IAM lines) would be needed.

7/ Junctions would need to be massively upgraded to allow drivers to safely join a stream of 100mph traffic; the 100mph road would probably have far fewer junctions than most current motorways.

I'm sure others will have difft ideas on that list of points, and may even dislike the whole lot :)

But one thing immediately strikes me: some drivers just want to be able to proceed very quickly from A-B, but others want excitement from their driving.

Maybe this safe 100mph road, with its limited overtaking would end up too much like a very fast but very boring convoy to appeal to many drivers?
The safe 100mph road? - Vin {P}
One option would be to dig up all the high-maintenance railway lines and turn them into truck and coach only roads. Then keep trucks and coaches off motorways. This would rid us immediately of the cause of most of the speed differential that causes so many problems on motorways. Trucks and coaches would be able to get to the middle of cities without any jams - so better for them.

One effect of this would be to stop us having to subsidise rail to the stupid extent we currently do (by govt guarantees for Network Rail).

The other effect would be to make our current, unchanged motorway network safer, faster and less crowded, so 100mph limits might well make sense.

V.
The safe 100mph road? - PoloGirl
In the spirit of the thread, possibly a 100mph road could work if...

1. There were no junctions along the 100mph stretch, reducing the need to change lanes, and taking away the risk of people joining from sliproads.

2. Definitely an advanced permit required to drive on it, to a standard greater than even that held by the best police drivers. Also an experience restriction on gaining this permit... experience not age as a 27 year old who's been driving 10 years would probably be a better driver than a 27 year old who has just passed their test.

3. A minimum speed limit, again reducing the amount of lane changing. (At 100mph you don't have time to quickly pull back in again when something appears in your blind spot.)

4. A restriction on the age/engine size/general quality of cars allowed to drive on it.

5. A dedicated security force, to promote safe/sensible driving, and deal with those aggressive/competitive drivers who make it an unpleasant experience.

The whole idea just makes me feel a bit sick really.

Edited by PoloGirl on 24/02/2009 at 23:40

The safe 100mph road? - spinner
The main problem is driver education.

High speed driving would then have to be part of the current testing system.

There's still too much traffic on the roads to allow this safely.
Also check your fuel economy 'pushing on' vs steady 75mph-80mph.
This would necessitate an extra fuel stop - and the advantage is then lost. Ok if you have a diesel that does 100mph quietly...

Bad idea - at present.

Germany has many more fatal high speed collisions than the UK (IIRC).

The safe 100mph road? - teabelly
www.dma.org/~ganotedp/autobahn.htm

As the UK has the safest roads in the world then everywhere as a higher death rate than us :-) But the autobahns are still germany's safest roads as our motorways are. There are also many countries with lower speed limits on motorways and higher death rates so I don't think the variation can be entirely attibutable to the prevalent speed limit.
teabelly
How many deaths/100 million driving miles are there on German Autobahns - compared to driving on UK Motorways. The data in the link doesn't include this (but neither does my assertion :-)
The Germans, of course, also have motorway driving as part of the driving test.
The safe 100mph road? - BrianW
I started driving before the 70mph national speed limit came into force and had a car capable of 100mph.
On the motorways and decent dual carriageways I used to drive at or close to 100mph when circumstances permitted and can't think of a single incidence of panic induced by travelling at that speed.
Why is it that nowdays any mention of exceeding 70mph produces apoplexy in a percentage of the population? Is it that we've been brainwashed ito believing that 70mph is the equivalent of the sound barrier and that anyone that exceeds it is in mortal danger of killing themself and anyone in the vicinity?

If a driver has never exceeded 30mph in good conditions then they will be less than competent at that speed when conditions are less than perfect or an emergency arises. Substitute any other figure for 30 and then ask yourself why driving standards are deteriorating.
1)
The speed differential between lanes isn't so dangerous when people leave good gaps between themselves and the car in front. It is not dangerous to pull into a faster moving stream of traffic if you have the space to accelerate to the same speed within the gap you have available or to switch to another lane when you have the space to reduce speed naturally or brake gently to the right speed. Having cars with better acceleration would make it easier to do this.

2)

Having a minimum limit is a good idea but I would say 80 would be better so you would have a spread rather than a constant bunch which I think might be more dangerous as you need to drive with gaps either side of you for maximum safety.

3) I am not sure strict enforcement would be necessary as it could be a carrot and stick, behave and you keep the faster roads. Misbehave and the road is reduced to standard speed (and we'll say who's fault it was so you can go around his house to have words ;-) )

5)

Restricted access is good, but most 2 litre cars are easily capable of 100 mph. As someone with an old but perfectly capable sports car I don't want to be excluded on age grounds :-) But excluding most drivers under 30 might be a good idea!

6) Definitely more training required. Anyone with fault accidents in the previous couple of years might need to be the ones excluded particularly if it is a lane changing or running up the back of someone type which would prove particularly dangerous. Tailgating would also need stamping on so the throughput of the road would be reduced as people learned to leave proper gaps.

Bearing in mind the design speed of motorways are in the region of 120 mph and this was considered ok for a 1960s car I think todays motorways (congestion excluded) would be ok for 100mph as they are but with just the driver training or limited times of day.

teabelly
The safe 100mph road? - BazzaBear {P}
To me it seems that the one most important thing would be gapping. The speed is only dangerous if there's something to hit, so somehow it would have to be ensured that there was a large gap between all vehicles using the road.
A rigidly enforced 5+ second rule perhaps? More than that ideally.
The safe 100mph road? - Baskerville
Don't forget that sustained very high speeds mean more mechanical failures even for well maintained cars as engines have to do a lot more work to overcome wind resistance. Plus when a failure happens it is much more difficult to control. I reckon the number of people capable of sustained high-speed driving,and of recovering safely when something goes wrong, is much smaller than the number of people who think they are capable. Personally I'd stay well clear and let Darwinism take its course.
3) I am not sure strict enforcement would be necessary as
it could be a carrot and stick, behave and you keep
the faster roads. Misbehave and the road is reduced to standard
speed (and we'll say who's fault it was so you can
go around his house to have words ;-) )

how about misbehave and you get an immediate ban from these 100mph roads (length of ban depending on degree of idiocy), but remain free to use the slower roads. You could also be creative with the penalty system. If you've lots of points-free miles on the fastroads, the ban may be quite short; but serial offenders would find the penalties rapidly increasing.

The technology is probably already good enough to allow reliable deployment of a warning system which could tell the driver immediately when an infringement was committed: "oi, you! off at the next exit, but you can come back in an hour" ... or "right, that's it, you're banned from here for a year"

Of course, penalties would rise much more steeply for BMW drivers or for anyone from Cornwall ...

... but a similar system ofg escalating prizes would be available for good drivers. The warning system would say: "You have now driven 500 miles without being naughty! Collect a free lollipop at the service station", whereas after being good for 100 miles it would say "thanks for being nice today"
I like the lollipop idea! Positive reinforcement is an effective way of changing behaviour and I think it could be useful to employ it more generally. Like a smiley with someone's numberplate with 'thankyou for driving safely'. Perhaps we ought to steal the idea from 'little angels' and have naughty corners where bad drivers are stuck in a room and ignored for some misdemeanours ;-)
teabelly
Be careful teabelly, or the mods will pick up on your idea and create a "naughty corner" for the backroom ;-)

Which reminds me:

Mark, I wanna lollipop! I wannit now!

Not fair, she got one, I didn't. Waaaaahaaaahh!

Hmmm. This lollipop idea could bring a few tangles ...

The safe 100mph road? - patently
Been on the M40 recently, NoWheels?

I'd go for the use of an advanced license obtainable only after certain levels of experience AND age - say 25+5 years experience - and after passing a test on a "normal" motorway. The aim would be to pass drivers who can show the restraint to maintain a proper distance and observation.

Then only allow approved cars - keep 1970s Minis and new Smarts off, as you say.

And enforcement ... firm, but with an emphasis on driving style. So a loss of the advanced license for anyone caught tailgating, points for anyone above 100.

It could work. Apart from the enforcement, it sounds a lot like the M40...
The safe 100mph road? - Older_not_wiser
There are some in existance.

I regularly use one - the A7 east coast motorway in Spain.

OOps - sorry. It's only the Germans who think that.

Seriously, though, Spain and France have one speed limit rule we could copy tomorrow:-

130kph or 110kph if it's raining.
ONW - you beat me to it. I had just come back to say that the other requirement was permanent good weather over the road!

Rain/hail/fog/snow/ice no no no no .....
The safe 100mph road? - AN Other
I'd rather have a safe 180mph railway...
So would I, if it went between my home and my office.

Mind you, it's about as likely!
On second thoughts, a safe railway at any speed would be quite nice.
The safe 100mph road? - SpamCan61 {P}
On second thoughts, a safe railway at any speed would be quite nice.

Eh???? Ok I don't have the figures to hand; but I'm pretty sure that travel by rail is the safest form of surface travel by a long, long way. Of course nothing is 100% safe; but I feel the UK rail network is about as close as it is possible to get; without spending lots & lots & lots of money.:-/
Just being TIC re recent paranoia..
The safe 100mph road? - smokie
No junctions at all. Just single lanes (obviously multiple parallel ones are possible) going from A to B (between conurbations or between other motorways).

Single lane to prevent lane swapping (which should be pointless anyway if everyone is running at 100 mph).

Gantries to show the average speed in each lane over the entire length, so you choose a lane at the start of your journey and stay in it until the end.

Minimum speed limit must apply. Special licenses, and only certain vehicles. Stiff fines and removal of licence for people who contravene rules, or run out of petrol!

Hard shoulder wider in case of breakdowns - possibly separated from main flow by barriers (I can't quite work this one out, but you know what I mean - would need gaps so that people could use them!).

Camera technology to ensure everyone keeps a very large distance between them (not need to tailgate if there is no prospect of the driver in front moving over).

A means of quickly switching the flow to the hard shoulder in the event of an accident (unlikely with proper distances being kept).

The more I write, the better this is sounding.

It would, of course, have to be a toll road.

Has anyone been on the midland expressway?
The safe 100mph road? - Andrew-T
I can't tell how many of these posts are genuinely TIC, but we have got a stream of largely unworkable ideas, as a little further thought will make clear. Allow this, enforce that, ban those .. We already know the proportion of drivers that choose to ignore impositions on their right to drive how they want. I'd rather they did it somewhere nearer 70 than 100.

And single lanes doing 100? What happens after a mechanical failure, never mind a collision? Total blockage?
The safe 100mph road? - Stuartli
>>Single lane to prevent lane swapping (which should be pointless anyway if everyone is running at 100 mph).

Gantries to show the average speed in each lane over the entire length, so you choose a lane at the start of your journey and stay in it until the end.>>

Either you have one lane or more - you can't have both.

In any case a single lane would be pointless and would certainly lead to accidents.

If you did have a problem, such as a burst tyre for instance, where would be the means to safely bring your vehicle to a half?

It might surprise you to know that one traffic cop I know told me that he was taught to normally remain in the middle lane of a motorway purely because of the safety aspect in such situations.

At the time I was telling him, jokingly, about the RAC's then description of middle lane drivers - CLODS - which represents Central Lane Owner Drivers' Society.
The safe 100mph road? - smokie
I really didn't think it through fully - but I had i mind parallel single lanes.

It would work rather like a multi line railway, actually!
The safe 100mph road? - SteveH42
Just being TIC re recent paranoia..

Yeah, but the point is that people get paranoid about rail safety as it's so unusual for anything to go wrong. On the roads meanwhile they scrape up the bodies on a daily basis without a word being said. Even on the motorway, the casualties and serious delays are worse than on the rail network - maybe we should be looking at ways to get these down as that would do a darned sight more to improve journey times.

The other thing to consider of course if just how much time you save. Even over 100 miles you save less than 30 minutes going up from 70 to 100 *average* - and don't forget that the pottering around at the beginning and end messes up any average speed figures.

For my money, I'd prefer to have a Shuttle-type system running around the UK where I can drive on to a train for the longer trips, be ferried to a terminal near my destination in almost perfect safety at 125mph+ and sit and relax while it's happening. Why only consider enabling the car to go faster - why not also look at ways to get the car to where you want to be quicker?
The safe 100mph road? - tunacat
And with your reference to the M40, you beat me to it, Patently.

100 mph is one thing maybe, but how about 90?

Q. "How could we create roads which safely permitted speeds well in excess of the current limits? (say 100 mph)"

A. On many existing motorways, change the limit to 90. Everyone's doing that speed already.

The safe 100mph road? - David Horn
The Tories, if they get elected, have already announced that they'll increase the motorway limit to 80MPH, and then rigorously enforce it. Not only will general speeds be increased, that BMW driver who hurtled past doing 95 will get nabbed. Makes perfect sense.
A. On many existing motorways, change the limit to 90. Everyone's
doing that speed already.

Surely you mean that a minority are already doing it: trucks certainly aren't physically capable of doing it, thanks to the limiters, and I've yet to see a motorway with a majority of vehicles exceeding 85 (though I accept that I may have missed what's happening in some places)

If it becomes more widespread, the speed differentials with trucks start to become very dangerous, especially with the level sof congestion on so many roads.
The safe 100mph road? - Algernon
This debate is about whether we drive according to arbitrary rules, or driving conditions.

I have heard of a case, let us say, where a quite ancient motorist - I forget his particulars, of course - recently managed 147 mph in perfect safety.

On one hand, according to the anti-motoring brigade he should of course be banged up for longer than he may have to live, for enjoying motoring.

On the other hand, it may be held to demonstrate that to be required to creep about at 70 mph in many modern - or even many good older - cars is just complete nonsense except to egalitarians.
I have heard of a case, let us say, where a
quite ancient motorist - I forget his particulars, of course -
recently managed 147 mph in perfect safety.

I think you mean "without being involved in an accident", which is not at all the same thing as "in perfect safety".

At 147mph, his own safety would be in great danger, to the extent that it would be almost impossible to survive any crash.

For someone else on a motorway, even at the 70mph limit, the safety of sort of speed differential is far from perfect, to put it mildly.
On one hand, according to the anti-motoring brigade he should of
course be banged up for longer than he may have to
live, for enjoying motoring.

If he wanted to enjoy that sort of speed on a private road or on a racetrack, that's his business (although racetracks impose their own strict rules). On a public road, the rules are different, but some rules are still necessary to allow safe shared use of a limited resource. The question is which rules, and where the boundaries are drawn.
You hit something solid at 70 and you're dead anyway. The body can only withstand a certain amount of impact, I think it is around 60 something miles an hour or 11g decelleration. It's a matter of whether the person at 147mph had sufficient enough road space to allow for time to deal with a hazard. But saying that formula one and touring car people driving into the scenery at pretty high speeds and they're not all killed instantly so it does suggest that higher speeds accidents should be easily survivable with the right vehicle and right restraint system.

If you happen to be a dozy devil then you can be more dangerous at a legal 70 than an alert person at 147. I personally wouldn't want to travel that quickly as I know my limits. 85/90 or so is about as fast as I would ever want to go.

You bring up a good point about racetracks. The people (professionals and experienced track drivers) using them are driving at quite high speeds and seem to be able to deal with the unexpected eg wheels flying off. They do have run offs and things but a lot of them seem to be able to control a car in adverse circumstances at high speed which suggests that it is possible to deal with the unexpected even at these much higher speeds.
teabelly
Teabelly, it does indeed seem to be possible to survive some very high speed crashes, at least in some circumstances.

However, there are a lot of factors in racecars which can never be applied to the roads:

Most racetracks have run-off areas, whereas there isn't any realistic possibility of those being widely available on UK roads. (I know that doesn't always apply to rallying)

Racetracks have much much lower traffic densities than a motorway. Spin out of control on a racetrack, and there may be 20 or even fifty cars appearing on site in the next few minutes, but on a motorway it will often be thousands, which is why mway crashes often cause pile-ups.

Racecar drivers aren't just in specially-prepared vehicles, they also wear special protective clothing and headgear. Road car drivers and passengers don't.

Racing drivers who crash usually have emergency crew on the scene almost immediately, which is crucial to survivability. That's not possible on public roads.

Your point about the dozy devil at 70 probably has a lot of truth in it, but doesn't really help us much on public roads, because we don't and can't have anything remotely resembling the same sort of selection procedures as racetracks use. So any policy for roads needs to start from the knowledge that the dopy drivers are part of the mix ... and that a lot of other drivers way overstimate their abilities.
>>You hit something solid at 70 and you're dead anyway>>

You are not necessarily dead if you hit something at 70mph - it's not to be recommended, of course, but it isn't a definitive rule and depends on many possible scenarios.

The reason drivers on racetracks can cope with the unexpected is simple - the more they are involved in such situations, especially when driving fast, the quicker the reactions and the appropriate action to take in the circumstances.

It's those who don't have the means to practice such driving skills i.e. the vast majority of drivers on the road, who find unexpected problems difficult to handle even at lower speeds.
Good point, Stuart.

Pilots have to undergo simulator rides. They hate them - they know that EVERYTHING is going to go wrong. Every switch they press may or may not function as advertised. Birds will appear from nowhere. Engines will fail unexpectedly. And so on.

It might be interesting to try this out with drivers. Oh, your brakes seem to have failed. And you've got a puncture. And he seems to be pulling out on you. Shame that 4x4 is tailgating you at the same time.

An in-car cam would make great tv. Beat big brother any day.
Simulator course would be a very good idea, but the main problems would be those of cost and, with millions of drivers on our roads, giving every one a chance to go on a simulator.

Perhaps an alternative would be to give interested drivers the opportunity to go on one of the Saga giant screen driving simulators - they are hugely effective, very realistic and several screens can be set up so that each "driver" can observe on-screen what the others are doing.

I've been on such a setup (four screens) and it's immensely satisfying and remarkably lifelike, although it doesn't absolutely compensate for being at the wheel of a real car.
To assess the safety of 147mph we would need to know a lot more about the road, the conditions, and the driver's ability. Only the driver concerned knew that. It may have been safe, we cannot know.

I have also been told by an M3 driver that he tested his car on "his favourite bit of road" and found that the limiter that is meant to keep him below 155 did not appear to work. Similar comments apply.

Having said that, I am very (very) sceptical that either was objectively safe. I have been on a track at 145 and, frankly, all that I could do was hold the car in a straight line until it was time to brake. Bends? No chance.

That track had been checked thoroughly and we had been using it all afternoon. We knew there were no potholes, nails, wet patches, etc etc.
Recent HJ column - speed warning letter - deslynam
Evenin' all,

I read in HJs column on The Torygraph's website the following;

"
# My wife received a warning letter from a North Wales vigilante organisation. It claims she exceeded a 30mph speed limit but does not say when, where or by how much. There is no information about who took the reading or how it was taken. Police involvement is not mentioned, but someone must have used the DVLA database to obtain our address. How legitimate is it for these vigilante groups to operate? More worryingly, how do they gain access to DVLA records? Is it not an abuse of the Data Protection Act for such registration information to be given out?
S.W., via email

# This is a very sinister development.
"

Has naybody any thoughts on it?

Perhaps nasty neighbours, or disaffected villagers just making it up, etc?
Recent HJ column - speed warning letter - patently
The worrying thing about this letter is that they gained access to the DVLA records.

These are meant to be restricted to the police etc.
Recent HJ column - speed warning letter - deslynam
Do you think they actually did gain access to the DVLA records, or is it either a generic mail-shot using a standard mailing list? I.E. the person's neighbours may also have got one (if you discount the fact it could have been them that sent it!)
Recent HJ column - speed warning letter - Kuang
Unless they were just randomly spamming people in the hope of scaring them into submission?..
Recent HJ column - speed warning letter - NowWheels
The worrying thing about this letter is that they gained access
to the DVLA records.

Actually, the letter just assumes that "someone must have used the DVLA database to obtain our address".

There doesn't seem to be any evidence that this actually happened, and I can think of many ways in which a local network might be capable of deducing the information. It may be that DVLA records were used, but on balance of probabilities I would think that unlikely.

I'm also unsure that "vigilante" is an appropriate term for a group doing what is alleged: it depends on the nature of the group, and the nature of the letter, about which are told very little.

A letter from a group with an identifiable contact point saying "hey, please be nice and stop your antisocial behaviour" would seem to me to be just a sort of benign attempt to encourage good behaviour, something which routinely happens in many communities through residents associations and suchlike.

On the other hand, an anonymous letter saying "Watch it or we'll a breaka your face" would be vigilante behaviour, and clearly illegal.

I've had friends on the receiving end of both sorts of letter (though not about anuything to do with vehicles), and the latter is deeply distressing and rightly illegal ... but the former is often a beginning of a problem-solving dialogue.
Recent HJ column - speed warning letter - tunacat
Didn't happen to be Richard Brunstrom's wife that received the letter, by any chance?

;)
Recent HJ column - speed warning letter - Peter D
Did the letter state your car Reg Number. This could be a local person/neighbour. Other question has to be does your wife regularly speed in the local area. Where was the post mark of the letter ? Regards Peter
Recent HJ column - speed warning letter - Dwight Van Driver
Read somewhere some time ago that a certain Force, believed to be N.W., were going to train members of the public of villages where complaints of speeding rampart. Hand held to be used, vehicle numbers recorded of those over the limit and fed to Police. Letters of caution sent out by Police and if readings showed flagrant breaches then Police would attend and prosecute.

If the letter does not have an address of authority then it may well be, as suggested, a neighbour well versed with personal details being spiteful, vindictive or trying to get SWMBO to slow down?

DVD
Recent HJ column - speed warning letter - jeds
The most dangerous parts of the motorway, by far, are the junctions. Most dangerous activity is when 'safe' driver slows to 60mph about half a mile before exit - and then 50mph quarter of a mile before and so on. Or, worse, where 'safe' driver enters the motorway at 50mph, and even less!

I regularly see drivers slow to 50mph and 40mph on entry slips causing near accidents because they run out of slip road and end up pulling onto the nearside lane causing 70mph (80, 90 mph traffic) traffic to brake heavily and change lane.

And they wonder why they look in the mirror to find 30 cars and wagons bunched 20 feet behind them?

You know who you are!
I regularly see drivers slow to 50mph and 40mph on entry
slips causing near accidents because they run out of slip road
and end up pulling onto the nearside lane causing 70mph (80,
90 mph traffic) traffic to brake heavily and change lane.

The worst one I've seen (more than once, sadly) is a fast car which doodles along the slip road at 30 until near the end, then nearly draws to a halt before selecting a gap ... then whoosh accelerate to get out. Anyone behind who doesn't have the smae degree of acceleration is caught :(
Was there a gap that s/he could have choosen earlier?

Or was lane 1 full of people thinking AAARRGGHHH I MIGHT HAVE TO CHANGE LANE!!!!!! and blocking off the slip road?

Either way, someone is indeed being inconsiderate. Might be either, though. Depends.
Was there a gap that s/he could have choosen earlier?

yes, several. The driver concerned just wanted a huge gap :(
Or was lane 1 full of people thinking AAARRGGHHH I MIGHT
HAVE TO CHANGE LANE!!!!!! and blocking off the slip road?

It was fuller than it needed to be, but not so full that a moderately careful driver didn't have a safe gap to pull out into.
Either way, someone is indeed being inconsiderate. Might be either,
though. Depends.

Bit of both, I'm afraid. The driver on the slip road could have pulled out safely, and the inside lane drivers could have made things even easier for those joining by pulling into the middle lane. I routinely do that when on the motorway and approaching a junction, but it's depressing how many drivers don't.
NW - some people find it realy difficult to judge an appropriate gap when merging. It is widely recognised as being one of the harder judgements made while driving, particularly as most of the area of interest is in the car's blind spot. Some people want a huge gap, therefore.

Those in lane 1 do need to move over or creat space, if only to improve their own safety margin. Completely agree with you that many don't.

In an ideal world, we'd help both groups, of course.

You were there to see what happened, though, not me.
Recent HJ column - speed warning letter - Stuartli
The main problem in this country is that too many drivers merely view their car as something purely to get from A to B - the pride in driving a car properly and safely is all too often sadly lacking.

There is also a lack of means to be able to drive regularly at speeds relevant to the idea suggested in this forum; anyone who has driven in the States will appreciate that artificially low speed limits in relation to the standard of roads lowers driving skills.

Contrast that to German autobahns where speeds are often well into three-figures, yet it's rare to have to slow down or for slower drivers to unexpectantly pull out in front of you as they are normally well aware of faster traffic approaching from behind.

Recent HJ column - speed warning letter - Older_not_wiser
>anyone who has driven in the States will appreciate that artificially low speed limits in relation to the standard of roads lowers driving skills.

"Interesting" idea.

You are aware of the "higher" driving skill level in America before the "artificially low speed limits" dragged the average down?

But I do agree with

>The main problem in this country is that too many drivers merely view their car as something purely to get from A to B - the pride in driving a car properly and safely is all too often sadly lacking.

Trouble is, how can that be improved if "they" have no wish to improve?
Trouble is, how can that be improved if "they" have no wish to improve?

Put them in a simulator and show them what can happen?

Most people report that their driving style only changed when they had a fright - i.e. that they saw how close they came because they cannot control every factor. For me, it was an emergency stop from 70ish when someone changed their mind and came back onto a slip road in front of me and stopped. HGV on the right, trees on the left (A road not an mway), stationary car ahead, rain pouring down from above. Only one option left.

The time required to stop was illuminating, despite applying so much brake pressure that I actually pulled a muscle in my right leg and limped away from the car when I got home. Now, I make no claim to perfection, but if you could read my mind you would often see me identifying how many options I have at any one time. Less than two and it's time to change something - back off, slow down, new route perhaps.
Recent HJ column - speed warning letter - Stuartli
You have slightly miscontrued my remark about US drivers...:-)
Recent HJ column - speed warning letter - teabelly
Make owning and running a vehicle more expensive so it leaves only the enthusiasts who would be willing to pay the increased costs? The a to b merchants would choose the cheapest form of transport. This is the only way to do it apart from brainwashing all car owners into being enthusiasts!

The culture of recent years has driving seen as just a method of getting to your destination and enjoying driving for it's own sake is frowned upon. Those people that have no interest in driving probably shouldn't have a car :-)
teabelly
The culture of recent years has driving seen as just a
method of getting to your destination and enjoying driving for it's
own sake is frowned upon. Those people that have no interest
in driving probably shouldn't have a car :-)
teabelly

Hear hear.
The culture of recent years has driving seen as just a method
of getting to your destination and enjoying driving for it's
own sake is frowned upon. Those people that have no interest
in driving probably shouldn't have a car :-)

Or identify the entusiasts, and prevent them from misusing the public roads for entertainment: take their licences off them, and let them use racetracks to entertain themselves, just as skateboarders are chased off the roads into skateboard parks ;-)
NW - if someone is misusing the public road for racing then they commit the serious offence of "racing on the public highway" and should be prosecuted. If proven, they are indeed likely to lose their licences.

I don't think teabelly was referring to that group. I think he was referring to the group that consists of those who are able to extract enjoyment from operating a vehicle on the road within the bounds of that which is safe and courteous. I freely admit that I belong to that group.

I think teabelly's point was the assumption among many that enjoyment is, of itself, evidence that the driver must be operating illegally and/or unsafely and/or inconsiderately.

A point which you seem to have proven.
patently, I think you've had a mild sense-of-humour failure here!

You seem to have missed the smiley wink at the end of my post, and the same thing of the teabelly's post to which I was replying. Mine was a tongue-in-cheek reply to a post which I took to be tongue-in-cheek.

If I thought teabelly was being serious, I'd have replied seriously. Instaed, I replied to one daft idea with another daft idea, from the opposite extreme.
Oh. Sorry.

Perhaps your post was too much in character to seem TIC? ;-) ;-) ;-)

Teabelly did describe a view that I have ecountered, though.
Oh. Sorry.

no prob, easy mistake :)
Teabelly did describe a view that I have ecountered, though.

Apart from the jokey recutio-ad-absurdum which we were both indulging in there, there is a serious point in this area.

You say that you "extract enjoyment from operating a vehicle on the road within the bounds of that which is safe and courteous", which seems entirely legitimate, and I wouldn't take issue with that. (I'm notorious amongst my friends for enjoying doing the washing-up, so we all have our strange traits!)

The thing I do have a problem with, though, is the assumption among some driving enthusiasts that technical proficiency is the most important aspect of driving (I don't suggest for a moment that this applies to you, though teabelly osten seems to come close to expressing that view).

I would argue the reverse: that a driver can be safe at quite a level of skill, as long as she knows her limitations and shows courteousy to others ... and that whatever the skill level, courtesy to other road users is one of the most important factors in road safety.

I have known some very poorly skilled drivers who have commendable safety records, because they don't take risks and show respect to others -- e.g. those who are too timid to exceed a very low speed, but stay off fast roads and pull in regularly to lets others past. (of course, unskilled drivers who don't recognise their limitations are lethal).

I have also known some very skilled drivers who are remarkably dangerous because of their lack of courtesy and respect for others, and their failure to keep adequate safety-matgins: some of them have terrible accident records, and many of them remain accident-free only because others have given them a wide berth or gotten off the road.

The danger I see with enthusiast drivers is that some of them are inclined to focus on their use of the roads for pleasure ... whereas many others use the roads as a necessity, with very different priorities. An enthusiast who doesn't share you priorities of safety and courtesy can be a real meance.
I would argue the reverse: that a driver can be safe
at quite a level of skill, as long as she knows

drat, that should read "quite a LOW level of skill"

sorry!
Recent HJ column - speed warning letter - teabelly
I do believe there should be a minimum standard that all drivers should reach and your friends that pootle along, even allowing others to pass, probably should reconsider whether they must drive at all. They do not take risks but if there level of driving is so bad they can't cope with driving along a road at a reasonable pace then goodness knows what would happen if a situation arose where they had to react quickly and with proficiency.

I think you can use the roads for pleasure with being safe and a reasonable amount of courtesy. I also think other drivers can be easily offended by such things as being overtaken and they assume that other drivers have the same views as them so they think 'I wouldn't have overtaken then therefore the other driver is being dangerous' forgetting that they have different cars and that following driver might have been looking far further ahead and seen the suitable gap in oncoming traffic long before committing themself to overtaking.

The rally experience I have been on was an eye opener and I learnt a lot of useful things. They also mentioned how dangerous the know it alls were and I do actually think those that believe they have nothing left to learn are the best candidate from removing from our roads. Your dangerous friends, by the sound of them, would be quite high up the list! If they have poor accident records then I wouldn't call them skilled in that sense. Every accident you are involved in reflects where your driving weaknesses are. You have to learn when accidents happen and don't repeat previous mistakes or at least be reasonablly aware what your weaknesses are.
teabelly
The enthusiasts who do not know their limits should be taken somewhere and shown unequivocally where they do in fact lie, so that they become better drivers by exercising restraint where appropriate.

Your friends who know their limits so drive slowly albeit considerately should also be taken somewhere, so that they can be taught how to control a car properly.

I would suggest that if they feel unable to control a car at moderate speed then they will be at a significant risk if something unexpected happens, even at a slow speed. 30mph is a lethal speed 50% of the time. Do they stick to 20? If so, how often do they find spaces to pull in? And how much frustration do they cause until they do?

You are most at risk when operating near your limits. For enthusiasts, these may often be so far beyond the road conditions that they are de facto safe even when you might think otherwise. For your friends, they may be at their limits in the prevailing road conditions.
Recent HJ column - speed warning letter - paulb {P}
Contrast that to German autobahns where speeds are often well into
three-figures, yet it's rare to have to slow down or for
slower drivers to unexpectantly pull out in front of you as
they are normally well aware of faster traffic approaching from behind.

It's very strange, but on the occasions when I have been on German autobahns and a slower driver does pull out in front of me without warning, that slower driver's vehicle has, by and large, borne British number plates....

It does seem that some folk who tour in Germany genuinely do not seem to appreciate the enormous speeds that it is possible to do quite legally on the unrestricted stretches, which is extremely worrying.
The truth about humps & cameras? - teabelly
Following on from the Today programme Mervyn Stone has published his opinion on the evidence presented by the sides, those for humps and cameras and those against.

The report hasn't been published on the BBC website as it is critical of the government's camera policy. It is published here on UCL's website:

www.ucl.ac.uk/Stats/research/Resrprts/speed.pdf

teabelly
How Many More Times? - pdc {P}
How many more times will stories such as this www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1164020,00.html make it into the press. It will never happen, because the govt would lose all that revenue from s************s at a stroke. More like it will be installed and will charge you a micro payment for each second you travel above the proscribed speedlimit for the stretch that you are on.

Imagine if the yanks re-enabled the block for civvie GPS applications, that made them accurate to only 100m. You'd end up being done for 40 in a 30 when you were 50m into the 40 zone!
How Many More Times? - BazzaBear {P}
"A previous research project by Professor Carsten estimated that ISA would reduce crashes involving deaths or injuries by 20 per cent."

[tic] But I thought ALL accidents were caused by exceeding the speed limit? [/tic]
How Many More Times? - Dynamic Dave
Re the subject header \"How Many More Times?\"

I was thinking the same thing when I saw another speed related article that wasn\'t posted to the appropriate speeding thread and needed moving ;o)

DD.
How Many More Times? - BrianW
Technical problems would seem probabable when, for example, a 30 mph road passes over or under a motorway.
Either the motorway traffic is emergency braked down to 30, or the urban traffic shoots way over the speed limit.
Neither option strikes one as being conducive to safety.
Well GPS knows in which direction you are travelling, so roads crossing perpendicular would probably be fine, but for anthing much further than a 45 degree crossing I would think there would be problems.

How Many More Times? - Adam {P}
Just thought of something. Would these speed aware cars limit themselves at temporary speed limits on the motorway? If so, that's going to be great fun - imagine seeing FOG and then a 50 limit or even a 30 as I have see on an empty motorway. I don't mean I didn't see the accident, I mean there wasn't one as I got off the motorway at the very end!

Anyway, you'd be cruising at 70, 80, maybe 90! Then, BANG the car slows to 50.

Yes - that is going to work perfectly. You can feel the sarcasm can't you?

Adam
As I indicated, the main reason that it will never happen is that they will have to tax us directly to make up for the loss of income from fines.
How Many More Times? - patently
"The device will be offered initially as an optional extra by car manufacturers"

Hands up everyone who will opt for that, then.

oooh yes, I really want to kill my car's px value, yes please.
Driving up to the speed limit - Roger Jones
I've seen mention in various posts recently of fuel-saving measures such as doing 60?65 mph on the motorway. Not for the first time I raise the issue of driving below the speed limit and the frustration and, sometimes, chaos it causes among fellow motorists. I continue to believe that, unless there is no-one else on the road, driving up to the speed limit is responsible and considerate conduct, provided of course that it is safe to do so. I know that driving instructors teach their pupils to do this, with good reason. I've posted on this before (it's a perennial) and once was attacked for supposedly telling people what speed to drive at. That's not what it's about. It's about driving with due care and consideration (legal echoes) in respect of fellow motorists and facilitating the smooth flow of traffic. We all read about the occasional absurd example of someone hauled over for doing 20 mph on the motorway, but that's the tip of the iceberg. What do others think?
Driving up to the speed limit - Older_not_wiser
>I continue to believe that, driving up to the speed limit is responsible and considerate conduct, provided of course that it is safe to do so.

Indeed. That is what I do.

However, I have no problem with anyone choosing to do 60 on a motorway - after all that is what trucks do.
Driving up to the speed limit - Stuartli
The speed limit is precisely that - a limit.

It is not an instruction to drive at that speed.

Remember the maxim: Speed in the right place, at the right time.
Driving up to the speed limit - Sofa Spud
I usually drive up to the speed limit where it's safe, on the open road. However, on the M25 when it's really busy I tend to ease off and keep with the 55-60 mph brigade!

A thought:- most unclassified country lanes are only subject to the national speed limit for single-carriageways, i.e. 60 mph. I don't think there are many stretches of such roads where I'd do that speed!

Cheers, Sofa Spud
What bothers me (not a lot, but a little) are those drivers one follows who drive at 45 when they could safely be doing 60, but who keep doing 45 when they come to a 30 limit.

cheers, Sofa Spud
Driving up to the speed limit - Mark (RLBS)
assuming its the weekend and I haven't really got to be anywhere, I tend to drift around non-motorways around 50mph and motorways around 70 ish.

I think we forget how cars have changed. Recently I was on a set of country roads that I used a lot as a teenager. I was somewhat of a boyracer on bike or car and used to seriously hack arond the roads - I told myself I was a brilliant driver and I knew the roads, which incidentally didn't stop me writing off a Commando into the front of a lorry and breaking both legs, both arms, back and neck and amusing myself in casts for the next 7 months.

Anyway, that aside, there was one bit where we were always particularly proud when we could hit 60mph between two bends before having to tread on the anchors to get aroudn the corner.

Driving my Landcruiser, which is certainly no speed machine or very good at handling, I went around the corners at 60, never mind the straights and I wasn't trying to drive fast. Just goes to show how much better cars, even tanks like mine, handle and brake compared to [sigh] 25 years ago.

Driving up to the speed limit - Robin Reliant
Good point there, Mark.

I must have been on my third or fourth car before I ever dared to cruise at 70 on a motorway. None of the first ones would have lasted more than ten minutes without something going pop in a cloud of smoke.

Despite all the talk about traffic congestion, I would think average M/way speeds must have risen over the past quarter centuary, modern cars can cruise all day at close to their max speed.
When I learned to drive, the national 70 mph limit applied to single carriageways as well as duals and motorways. I seem to remember that people did drive 'up to' that 70 limit, as we did with the Morris 1000 Traveller we had at the time.

Cheers, Sofa Spud
Driving up to the speed limit - pete&hisgolf
Last week I was doing 55-60 mph in the slow lane of the M6. I was in 'economy' mode as I had plenty of time to get to my destination. I was maintaining a safe distance from the lorry in front of me, which was at the back of a string of vehicles all doing roughly the same speed (ie, 55-60). Another lorry came up behind me and flashed its lights. I wondered why. After a few moments it came very close to my back bumper then pulled out to overtake. It drove alongside me but seemed unable to get past. It then pulls in behind me and there's more headlamp flashing and a prolonged blast of the horn. This is starting to unnerve me so I accelerate up to 70 - 75 and overtake the lorry in front of me before pulling back into the slow lane.

Is there some aspect of motorway etiquette that I failed to observe here? All I can think of is that the driver behind me wanted me out of the way so he could slipstream the lorry in front of me.
Driving up to the speed limit - pdc {P}
Pete, I experienced something similar a few weeks ago on the M60. There is a section of the clockwise carriageway which drops to 50mph near Bredbury. I was at 50, lane 1, and a lorry came up behind me. He pulled out and was at the side of me when the limit reverted back to 70. I accelerated leaving the lorry behind in lane 2 and he flashed me several times.

Driving up to the speed limit - AngryJonny
Make progress where safe to do so. That's what I was always taught. So driving up to the limit may not be safe on windy country roads, unclassified roads, wet conditions and so on, in which case drive at a safe speed. Always drive at a speed which will allow you to stop within the distance you can see to be clear.

But, in favourable conditions then yes, I think people should drive up to the limit as a common courtesy to fellow road users. If you're driving on a clear road in good conditions and you still can't drive at the speed Her Majesty's Government deem to be safe then perhaps it's worth considering whether you're fit to be on the road in the first place.

I am sick of being stuck in a line of traffic doing 40 on a good NSL road simply because the driver at the front doesn't want to go any faster. Well there are 20 drivers back here who do want to go faster. If you want to do significantly less than the limit in good conditions then you should, at least, pull over from time to time where possible to let drivers past who want to make progress.