What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I have a question Volume 45 - Dynamic Dave

******* Thread now closed, please see volume 46 ********

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=22949

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PC\'s. They now go in another Thread.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 45. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18847

Cheap lawnmower wanted. Suggestions? - Mapmaker
I want a cheap lawnmower for a medium sized garden (not mine). Probably petrol. Has anybody undertaken an evaluation exercise recently?

Many thanks
Cheap lawnmower wanted. Suggestions? - patently
No, but I have experience of a Mountfield petrol rotary mower.

There is an irritating boss that holds the blade in place and hads two little lugs that extend into holes in the blade. This is so that they can shear off as a safety measure if the blade hits anything harder than a blade of grass.

Very tiresome and £5 a throw. I\'d avoid this one.
Cheap lawnmower wanted. Suggestions? - L'escargot
Wish I'd known that before I bought a Mountfield!

Also (in my experience) they don't live up to their "Reliable Starting" claim. They're OK once warmed up, but a can of Bradex "Easy Start" is an absolutely essential accessory when starting from cold.
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
Cheap lawnmower wanted. Suggestions? - terryb
In previous threads I've mentioned my B&Q-sourced mower of generic brand (evidently built by flymo/electrolux) with a Tecumseh engine which has thus far given me 5 years of trouble-free mowing, with the purchase of a can of easy-start spray. I think No Dosh has something similar.

Excellent value for money - have a look in your local Bodgit & Quitt.

--
Terry

"You'll have to speak up I'm wearing a towel"
Cheap lawnmower wanted. Suggestions? - Mapmaker
On their website, they have a merry range of Mountfield rotary mowers - which Patently warns against (thanks!).
Cheap lawnmower wanted. Suggestions? - Hugo {P}
Get a herd of guini pigs.

We currently have 3 on our lawn and it spends most of the year not needing cut at all!

H
Faulty mobile - too late to change? - PoloGirl
Hello!

I upgraded to an O2X1 in December (a Maxon rebranded as O2). I read lots on forums about how this was an awful phone, the first batch had been faulty etc etc.

I thought I was lucky to have one that didn't break, and then it all froze up in February, so 02 sent me a replacement as they admitted to the faulty batch, which has worked fine til today, when it's all frozen again.

I'm getting sick of it to be honest, and wonder if I can request a different phone or if I'm only entitled to another replacement.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Faulty mobile - too late to change? - just a bloke
Er... wouldn\'t it be easier to just ask them what your options are?

:-) JaB
Thanks for that helpful tip!

If I'm not entitled to anything other than a replacement, then I'll accept it. But if I'm entitled to request a different phone, and they try to fob me off with another replacement, it would be helpful to know where I stand before I argue.

Faulty mobile - too late to change? - Mapmaker
What does your contract say. I suspect you're only entitled to have it repaired, during which time you'll be loaned a Philips Savvy. Cooooool!
Faulty mobile - too late to change? - just a bloke
Thanks for that helpful tip!

I think you\'ll find that if you ASK them they\'ll tell you waht you are entitled to... if you don\'t want to ring them up then go into an independant shop such as \"Car Phone warehouse\" or even into an O2 shop.

:-) Why not find out if there\'s a problem before worrying about it.

;-)JaB
Faulty mobile - too late to change? - Civic8
As its under warranty you can take it back but it may be repaired.they only replace if your set is not repairable.get in touch with 02 to find a local repairer.your contract will depend on whether they give a replacement ie till yours is repaired.
Er Mods... something I said? Don't really understand why you'd delete the sucessful resolution and demonstration of great customer service, but not the problem described in the original post?

Faulty mobile - too late to change? - Mark (RLBS)
>>Er Mods... something I said?

Ah...

well...

ummmm.......

There is just a small chance, the merest sniff of something which perhaps could have developed into a chance one day - not actually a whoppin' big chance you understand, that perhaps I just maybe could have possibly pressed the wrong button.

Bit sorry about that, actually.
Hehe...classic. :-D

Don't worry, I forgive you!

Faulty mobile - too late to change? - frostbite
>>There is just a small chance, the merest sniff of something.....

Best delete that post Mark, before the White House adopt it for a future speech by George Dubya,
Faulty mobile - too late to change? - BazzaBear {P}
Lol

Glad PG decided to forgive, such an amusing apology nearly warranted a thank-you for the deletion :D
Wondered why I got the mail but not see message here.we all make mistakes
Faulty mobile - too late to change? - Mark (RLBS)
Mech1,

If you've still got the e-mail, then please post it here.

Thanks.
Sorry had a clear out and deleted it.PG said 02 were replacing phone for a V600.good result
Annoying pigeons - L'escargot
Earlier this year I built a pergola straddling my garden path, to enable me to grow climbing plants up the trellis sides. However, the local pigeons (ring-necked doves?) have adopted it as their perch and they poo all over the path. Shooing them off does no good because they just come back. How do I persuade them to perch on someone else's pergola?
--
Annoying pigeons - defender
a toy cat sitting there works for a while also an artificial hawk on a thin rod so it looks as if its hovering works for a while,some garden centres sell plastic owls ,even ballons sometimes work for a while.hope this helps chase them away
Annoying pigeons - Cardew(USA)
L'escargot,
I don't know what they are called but you can buy strips that look like the head of a rake - ie small teeth on a backing plate. They are use on ledges where pigeons try to perch.

By the way pigeons are twice the size of ring necked doves.

C
Agreed, Cardew(USA). They're ring necked doves ~ or should that be collared doves? I also get wood pigeons (which, as you say, are twice the size) but they perch elsewhere.
I tend to call them all pigeons. They're all pesky critters whatever you call them!
--
Annoying pigeons - frostbite
The best bit is the endless 'woo hoo hoo' outside your bedroom window at 4am.

(time to get up and wash the car)
The best bit is the endless 'woo hoo hoo' outside your
bedroom window at 4am.
(time to get up and wash the car)

Or "woo hoo woo hoo hoo" if they're wood pigeons.

Stupid birds!
--
Annoying pigeons - BazzaBear {P}
I'd recommend just putting some nails through the parts they can perch on, pointing upwards. That way they can't land. And you should be able to disquise them with whatever you grow up it.
Annoying pigeons - lezebre
>> The best bit is the endless 'woo hoo hoo' outside
your
>> bedroom window at 4am.
>>
Or "woo hoo woo hoo hoo" if they're wood pigeons.

--

Or even

"sow peas carter doo
I doo like a feww"
Annoying pigeons - Jane
Pigeon Spikes might be the answer. You'd have to be a very brave pigeon to try landing on those!!

www.pigeonoff.co.uk/

--
If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished
Annoying pigeons - Dwight Van Driver
Cruel but effective:

Soak a Lb of raisins/sultanas is cheap whisky for 24 hours.
Scatter said marinated raisins where Coo coo perch.
Coo coo will eat copiciously.
Fall down drunk and unable to fly.
Wring neck
Ploat and gut
Make Pidgeon pie al la Mrs Beeton.

DVD
Annoying pigeons - Vin {P}
Air rifle. £10 in local secondhand shop.

V
Annoying pigeons - BazzaBear {P}
V

I could be wrong, but don't these now have to be licensed?
Annoying pigeons - Vin {P}
"I could be wrong, but don't these now have to be licensed? "

No, not unless they are above a certain power limit; you won't find these cheap in a secondhand shop.

V
Annoying pigeons - Baskerville
Cruel but effective:
Soak a Lb of raisins/sultanas is cheap whisky for 24 hours.

Make Pidgeon pie al la Mrs Beeton.

Ah, Roald Dahl, how great was he? Does this actually work outside of books about small boys on poaching expeditions?
Annoying pigeons - Cardew(USA)
Pigeon Spikes might be the answer.

So that's what they are called
Pigeon Spikes might be the answer. You'd have to be
a very brave pigeon to try landing on those!!
www.pigeonoff.co.uk/
--
If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished

Thanks Jane.

However, 7x2 metres x £3.45 per metre plus £8.45 postage all plus VAT = £67 for the cheapest (i.e. polycarbonate) version Pigeon Spikes. I'm not sure that the pigeons are that annoying!

Incidentally, did you notice the company ~ Jones? Pardon the pun, but no connection with Spike Jones and the City Slickers, I don't suppose? (Or am I showing my age?)
--
Best weedkiller for block-paved drives? - L'escargot
What's the best weedkiller for block-paved drives?

I know that "Pathclear" is effective, but it's very expensive in the quantities required for a drive. I've considered sodium chlorate, but I don't know how effective it is, and I seem to remember reading somewhere that there is a fire hazard with this.
--
Best weedkiller for block-paved drives? - NowWheels
doesn't Pathclear contain the highly toxic weedkiller paraquat?

Knowing someone who was killed by paraquat, I'd avoid anything which contained it ... so if it was my drive, I'd check carefully. YMMV
Best weedkiller for block-paved drives? - Altea Ego
I use Pathclear on my block pave drive. Its the only one I found that works, once in spring and once in early autumn keeps it down. Expensive yes but It does go a suprisingly long way.

Does contain parawhotsit.
Oh and sodium chlorate was used by the IRA to boost up their bombs. Small amount of plastique and a LARGE amount (500 lbs) of sodium chlorate and bingo.
Sorry and sodium nitrate fertilisor.
Best weedkiller for block-paved drives? - BazzaBear {P}
Could I be dumb and ask what block-paving is?
I have a driveway which is suffering from weeds, but it's quite unusual construction and I'm not sure how to describe it.
It's like concrete which comes to the surface in little squares with very tightly packed stones or gravel between.
Block paving is bricks tightly laid in sand.
Best weedkiller for block-paved drives? - BazzaBear {P}
Thanks. It's not that then.
And to think my dad is a builder/joiner, good job I didn't try to continue the family business!
Best weedkiller for block-paved drives? - frostbite
I have used 1 part bleach to 2 parts water to good effect. Timing is important - no rain for several days beforehand and none expected in the next few. If you have a C&C card you can pick up 5l for around £1.50.

Sodium Chlorate works well but you may have trouble finding a seller nowadays.
Best weedkiller for block-paved drives? - Dude - {P}
Wrong on both accounts RF, the correct compound is ammonium nitrate, as used so effectively by the IRA.
Best weedkiller for block-paved drives? - Mapmaker
They also used Ammonium Nitrate (fertiliser, comes in blue bags) mixed with diesel (Fuel Oil), called ANFO - for obvious reasons - to good effect. All you need is a detanator.
Best weedkiller for block-paved drives? - Mapmaker
Sodium Chlorate is also explosive, Dude. Just try letting a spoonful of it dry out on the path. Then drop the watering can onto it, and you will get a (tiny) explosion.

What is it that we used to make in Chemistry & paint onto the blackboard that used to go bang-bang-bang as Sir wrote with the chalk. (Today's children are spared this joy, with the advent of OHPs & whiteboards!)
Best weedkiller for block-paved drives? - Martin Wall
Do not use Pathclear if kids could get onto your driveway though - why not just pull the weeds out by hand?
Best weedkiller for block-paved drives? - Sooty Tailpipes
Wilkos sell cheap stuff, Sodium Chlorate, it's pretty permanent.
Best weedkiller for block-paved drives? - defender
the best weedkiller to use in domestic situations is a glyphosate type product often sold under the name of roundup,it is very safe for children ,animals of all kinds and can also be used on some pond weeds without killing fish.I do not think that there is any need for hzard warnings on the label which says it all really,probable cost is about £5 per litre undiluted (eneough to do about .25 acre),may cost more in garden centres.
Best weedkiller for block-paved drives? - buzbee
Bleach is alkaline. So take care it does not get washed off into borders that have lime hating plants like azaleas and rhododendrons
Best weedkiller for block-paved drives? - terryb
I use a Parasene flame gun on our patios.

Easy work, no chemicals and once the strong growth has been eliminated (may take 2 or 3 burnings) repeats only needed every 2-3 months in growing season.

Oh, and VERY satisfying!

--
Terry

"You'll have to speak up I'm wearing a towel"
Best weedkiller for block-paved drives? - lezebre
NoWheels,
I wonder if it would be possible for you to give some detail here.
Please be assured it's not just morbid curiousity on my part.
Best weedkiller for block-paved drives? - Dude - {P}

>>I wonder if it would be possible for you to give some detail here.
Please be assured it's not just morbid curiousity on my part.
>>

lezebra - the only way paraquat can kill anybody is when it is taken orally and has been used on many occasions by people committing suicide. I know from a nursing friend, who treated somebody after taking this lethal cocktail, and she described it as the most agonising death she had ever witnessed (total destruction of the liver). - Hope this explanation is morbid enough for you.!!!
Best weedkiller for block-paved drives? - henry k
>>I wonder if it would be possible for you to give
some detail here.

>>
IIRC a few years back there were several cases of paraquat being decanted from farm supplies into fizzy drink bottles.
Sadly it then resembled Cola and resulted in some deaths.
I thought it affected the lungs but there is no antidote for it. I believe regulations have been tightened up since these events.

I have found it the past that a spot of 3 in 1 oil zaps weeds but probaly no longer an approved method. Would GTX make them go faster?
Blue Tits. - Martin Devon
Right. Try this one you luvvly lot!

Have just fitted new windows on one of our projects. Trad' timber with puttied glazing, primed, undercoated and glossed. The problem is Blue Tits, (feathered) They peck all of the putty out of the lower rail. I have seen it before, but not when painted. ANY ideas, (apart from shooting!!!) only joking.

Regards as ever.
Blue Tits. - Vin {P}

V
Blue Tits. - lezebre
V :)

Or instead you could risk the cash on some uncooked peanuts in those string bag things which lesser birds can't feed from.
They may prefer them to your house.
Blue Tits. - frostbite
There might be some attractive mineral there but I wonder if it's the clay-like qualities at nesting time?

Perhaps a small homebrew clay/mud pit might be more attractive to them?
Blue Tits. - frostbite
Also, any spare mirror glass placed just inside the window should put them off their stroke.
Blue Tits. - Altea Ego
Paste a picture of a Robin on the inside. (The feathered variety, not the Reliant species)
GPS Egnos start date? - drbe
Does any BRer know when Egnos will actually start operating in Britain/South East England?

(EGNOS is an enhanced accuracy add-on for GPS and will give accuracy down to 1 or 2 metres - it stands for European Geostationary something something system)

I have followed umpteen links, all to no avail. All the information is out of date. Does anyone know the ACTUAL start-up date. pretty please?
GPS Egnos start date? - Altea Ego
Did you find this page?

The current EGNOS Implementation program is now in its last straight. At the same time, the next phase in the EGNOS program is being prepared by opening the subscription for ESA Member States for a new programmatic framework within which the EGNOS signal and data provision will begin. After this, EGNOS will enter a qualification process for ?Safety of Life? applications. By the end of 2005 EGNOS should be fully qualified for usage by civil aviation.

www.esa.int/export/esaNA/SEMNGFX5WRD_index_0.html
RF Thank you for that, yes, I had seen that page. I have also emailed the women at the bottom of that page, a (presumably) mme. Dominique Deviant.

I hope you will forgive me if I come back to my original question - when will my WAAS/EGNOS enabled hand-held GPS actually show the signal?

I had April 2004 and then June 2004 in my mind for some reason. Are you saying it is going to be end 2005 before I can receive the benefit? (which of course, I/we have all paid for)
GPS Egnos start date? - Altea Ego
Dunno mate, seems the ESA are being pretty cagey, I see Belgium railways are using it now, is that in area 2? (southeast england) if it is the signals are there now.
Thanks RF

Thank you for your efforts, I found myself slipping into rant mode automatically in my final paragraph!! I you do find out anything positive, perhaps you would let me know and I will do the same for you.
Just had an email from the person ar ESA who is named on one of the pages - she says :-

It should be going by Summer (what does that mean? Summer, in my book, starts on June 21st) She also said have a look at :-
www.esamultimedia.esa.int/docs/egnos/estb/egnos_pr...m
now that is a url to be proud of!. In a quick look, I didn't see anything that told me any more than I know already.

Can I copy and paste an email into a thread and/or can I copy and paste a URL?
Defrosting a freezer - L'escargot
My built-in New World RFE 14013 NW freezer needs defrosting, which is easy enough in itself to initiate. How you collect the water without making a mess is not at all clear. All the users book says is "A defrost water collection system is situated at the bottom of this appliance (E) as shown in figure 2". Figure 2 merely has an arrow pointing to a drainage channel at the middle front of the bottom surface of the freezer. As far as I can see, the water will then run in a haphazard manner onto the melamine-covered chipboard "shelf" on which the freezer stands and from there (in a similar haphazard manner) onto the floor.

Anyone know what you are supposed to do?
--
Defrosting a freezer - Altea Ego
Some models have a little plastic tube you clip into the drainage channel that at least give you some chance of directing the water somewhere better. Have a hunt around for it, it might be in the pack of intructions or clipped somewehere in or on the fridge.
Defrosting a freezer - John R @ Work {P}
Probably best checking with the store you got it from.

On our self defrosting fridge (freezer is manual defrost) the water runs down the back of the fridge into a channel where it drains through a tube to a collection trough on top of the condenser where the heat from that unit evaporates the drips and drops, works well enough.

John R
Defrosting a freezer - Onetap
"....on top of the condenser where the heat from that unit evaporates the drips and drops, works well enough."

It does work well with water. However, when orange juice, milk, wine, yoghurt, etc. get spilt, they also run through the tube into the trough on top of the compressor can, where they ferment together nicely in the heat, out of sight at the back of the fridge. Some time later there is an appalling but unidentifiable pong, causing all manner of drain cleansing efforts. Now, try to remember this, you too may be haunted by an appalling pong one day.
Defrosting a freezer - John R @ Work {P}
Roger Wilco,
good point...
John R
Defrosting a freezer - Dynamic Dave
The quickest way I\'ve found to defrost a freezer is to use one of those handheld steam cleaners ( tinyurl.com/29o7y , item 819469, for example. Got ours from LIDL for £20 a while ago). They strip the ice away like nobody\'s business.

Anyway, you might find that one of the pull out food storage trays fits underneath the pull out drainage channel and the water can drain into that. Failing that, carefully manoeuvre the freezer to the back / front door and overhang the front of it over the door step.

Defrosting a freezer - HF
Or bring it round to HF's house, where everything automatically stops working the minute it crosses the threshold. I can guarantee it will defrost, but cannot take responsibility if it never works again, so maybe take out the frozen caviar before turning up here.
Defrosting a freezer - malteser
Never mind all the fancy devices - use SWMBO's hair drier - always works a treat!
Roger in Spain
Travelodge - three in a room - SteveH42
Does anyone have any experience of more than the stated limit of 2 adults using a room at a Travelodge? I've heard tales of up to 7 or 8 sharing a room without problem, but the limit (for a family room) is quoted as 2 adults and 2 under 16s. My mother, sister and I are looking for somewhere to stay in London and one of these is offering a £45 a night deal which seems OK provided we won't come unstuck if the three of us try and share the one room.
Travelodge - three in a room - Adam {P}
We stayed at a Travelodge in Washington (North East England not US!) last year as a family. I was then 17 and my sister 15. I was 6ft 4 then and to be honest, although it wasn't a massive room, it didn't feel poky although I had to sleep on the pullout bed from the sofa as I couldn't fit on the couch itself. It was ok for 1 night but I wouldn't want to spend an entire holiday there.

Adam
Travelodge - three in a room - BobbyG
My experience of Travelodges is that once you are booked into your room, they have no real way of knowing who is coming and going. If you and your mum book in with all the bags and then your sister casually walks in later then they won't stop her and ask her where she is going.
Travelodge - three in a room - SteveH42
Certainly the times I've stayed in them previously it has seemed that way, but then I've always just been by myself. Plus, with this one being in London I was wondering if they might be stricter than otherwise? Basically don't want to end up stuck there for two days with nowhere for one of us to stay and probably having to pay £££ more than we would have otherwise....
Travelodge - three in a room - Adam {P}
Sorry Steve, I misread your post completely. ( I was in a rush) so just ignore what I said.

*sneaks away...

cheers

Adam
Travelodge - three in a room - Vin {P}
I know someone in Bournemouth who use Travelodges whenever he and his wife have a "party", if you know what I mean. They sometimes have six people to the room, though I suspect they rarely find out how useful the room is for sleep.

They use Travelodges for the very reason that there's no track on who is going to the room. I'd hate to be in the next room trying to sleep, though.

V
Travelodge - three in a room - Dynamic Dave
I'd hate to be in the next room trying to sleep, though.

You could always knock on the door on the pretense of wanting to borrow a cup of sugar. You never know, you might get invited to join in the *party*.

Travelodge - three in a room - Altea Ego
Ooo I love parties, Do they have jelly and ice cream?
Travelodge - three in a room - Nsar
>>I suspect they rarely find out how useful the room is for sleep.
Those Tupperware people are so dedicated aren't they?
cheap booze in belgium - borasport20
Does anybody know of any wine supermarkets around zeebrugge ?

ta
HP IPAQ - Adam {P}
I bought a HP IPAQ 2200 as a bit of a toy with the aim of getting GPS rubbish for it but I\'ve tired of it and want rid. Does anyone know where the best place woudl be to sell something like this? I\'ve looked at EBAY but never used it before and it looks like a lot of hassle.

Cheers

Adam
IPAQ - Adam {P}

Anyone???...Please?
IPAQ - Martin Wall
Check if www.amazon.co.uk list this product - if so you can sell it on their 'marketplace' where you set a fixed price and folks can choose to buy it or not. Be honest about the condition and watch out for postage costs as amazon only give you a contribution, so you need to ensure the price you will receive will cover the actual costs of sending the item - given the value you will want to send the item insured and with a signature on delivery. Check out www.postoffice.co.uk for prices.

Best bet is to set your price just a liitle lower than the lowest price for an item in similar condition.

good luck!

IPAQ - Altea Ego
Adski,

E-Bay is the answer. Its not hard, usually stress free, and guarantees a fair price.
IPAQ - Adam {P}
Thanks for both of your replies, I'll check them out. As to the condition, it's better than perfect - the only giveaway is that the seal on the box is broken - I've only every charged it once!

Anyway, thanks - I'll let you know how I get on.
IPAQ - frostbite
A good, and totally FREE, alternative is
boxer.ebid.co.uk
This is a scam - but how? - Mapmaker
I know this is a scam, as it was sent to an email address that is only used by Mrs Ngumbo & her ilk, who are offering me a share in £10m of Nigerian dollars (and if you want this sort of thing, it's too good to be true...). But I cannot work out what the scam is. I haven't linked the weblink as it probably isn't suitable for under 10s, but it is pretty harmless. Here is the email I received.

just back in the UK from abroad and found your email address in my old email address hotmail/date folder.

Cant remember much about it ?

If your still OK on a meet please get back (I'm not into echat - looking for a meet)

Heres my website - it at

www.geocities.com/aimee_cds_uk/PICTURES.html
(not a paysite!)

My contact phone number is 01373 830145 (Extension SW64 - Office hours)

So, over to you.

Have fun

xx

Aimee
This is a scam - but how? - just a bloke
looks to me like a working girl touting for business *shrug* maybe using the cash to finance her "year out" not really any different from "college girls working as pole dancers to make ends meet"

;-) pretty young thing tho' :-)
This is a scam - but how? - Altea Ego
Well mapmaker, You certainly know how to pull, perhaps she got your details from the back seat of one of your departed cars?
Well that's what I thought, RF.... but much as Mrs Abecha sends two slightly different 419 letters to me, so 'Aimee' sent me another one with a different extension number 'My contact phone number is 01373 830145 (Extension SW11 - Office hours)'

This is a scam - but how? - just a bloke
Well that's what I thought, RF.... but much as Mrs Abecha
sends two slightly different 419 letters to me, so 'Aimee' sent
me another one with a different extension number 'My contact phone
number is 01373 830145 (Extension SW11 - Office hours)'

Hot desking?
Hot totty, more like (or not!). The whole point of hot desking is that your extension number doesn't change, despite your changing your desk.
This is a scam - but how? - lezebre
Different 'extension' numbers will be like 'reference numbers' often are in a written reply presumably, designed only to track the source that prompted any reply, and would suggest some sort of a firm, no doubt not the kind one would want to have any dealings with, is sending these out.