What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Silly Thread Volume V. - jonesy127 {P}

Thread locked. Volume VI is here

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=25163

Original subject header was Pedants...

...certainly are a lot of pedantic people on these forums. Ironic really, given the fact that these user-unfriendly type forums don\'t allow one\'s own editing of spelling mistakes, etcetera...
Pedants... - patently
A true pedant's revolt is in progress...
Pedants... - RichardW
Given there is, presumably, more than one car driving pedant on this site, shouldn't it be pedants' revolt??

Non motoring topic - I'd give it about 30 minutes. Clock's ticking!

--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
Pedants... - patently
Yes, but I don't know how many are revolting.
Pedants... - terryb
And who led the pedants' revolt?

Which Tyler!

Terry

"Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand"
Pedants... - helicopter
I use boiling water -

No - sorry thats Dead ants....

I'll get me coat!
Pedants... - Nsar
I think you'll find it's not forums, but fora (sigh)
Pedants... - tunacat
Hmm... The jury's out on whether "one's" should have an apostrophe in it. There isn't one in "theirs", for example.

;-)
Pedants... - HF
>>The jury's out on whether "one's" should have an apostrophe in it.

Depends if you mean number ones, or one's number ones.
Pedants... - topaktas
Lynne Truss (now there's a name) will sort it out for you.
Pedants... - helicopter
She might not sort it out but she'll lend you her support.....

As its the silly thread here's a question for all you people out there with nothing better to do.

Give me a perfectly sensible sentence containing five consecutive 'ands'.
Pedants... - HF
"My s..stutter is g..getting worse, and...and...and...and...and it's really g..getting me down", stammered the man.
Pedants... - patently
Sadly, none of my sentences are perfectly sensible at the best of times.
Pedants... - helicopter
HF - no stammering allowed and yes it is possible - I will post the answer later if nobody gets it.
Pedants... - topaktas
PIG and AND and AND and WHISTLE.

For those who don't know this one it relates to a publican's comment on receiving a new sign from the signwriter. He was unhappy about the spacing between the words and said: " The spaces between p a a a a a w are too small."

Helicopter, can you come and sort out my leaves next autumn, please?
Pedants... - Mapmaker
The signwriter of the pub had some trouble getting the spacing correct between 'Rose' and 'and' and 'and' and 'Crown'.

I reckon I'm pretty revolting, so pedants' revolt.

Pedants... - Mapmaker
You're sacked from the club, Pedantly - sorry! 'None' takes a singular verb.

Sadly, none of your sentences is perfectly sensible at the best of times...

Pedants... - patently
Is this the kind of English up with which we have to put?
Pedants... - Mapmaker
I don't know, but it is the kind of English that is correct (he wrote smugly). I'm not quite certain that your sentence is as elegant as it would be if you were to change the word order. Sometimes for the sake of elegance, 'rules' should be broken. However I am not certain what elegance you are obtaining through your use of a plural verb with 'none'.

Pedants... - patently
I reckon I'm pretty revolting, so pedants' revolt.

Who said I was referring to myself?

Too cruel, so I'll retract that... Pedants' revolt it is.
Pedants... - Mark (RLBS)
There were these 5 guys who had all been given the name "And" when they were born and had grown up together. One night And, And, And, And and And went out to the pub.................
Pedants... - Mapmaker
Sorry Mark, but you have got 6 'ands' there. (Think how useful that would be for doing those tricky jobs like soldering...)
Pedants... - HF
>>And, And, And, And and And went out to the pub.................

Trust you to go one better and get 6 in a row...
Pedants... - helicopter
Well done Topatkas - Where do you live and I'll try and arrange a fly past!
Pedants... - BazzaBear {P}
Does the sentence begin:

G..g..g...g..g... Granville?
Pedants... - helicopter
Ok all you smarties , try this-

What is the longest palindrome you can think of - No definitive answer but I give you -

- Able was I ere I saw Elba -

Pedants... - helicopter
Or on a more motoring theme

- A Toyotas a Toyota -
- Anne I vote more cars race Rome to Vienna -
Pedants... - HF
I know this will have to be deleted because of length, so apologies to the busy Mods, but the challenge was laid down - how about this one?

\"Star? Not I! Movie ? it too has a star in or a cameo who wore mask ? cast are livewires. Soda-pop straws are sold, as part-encased a hot tin, I saw it in mad dog I met. Is dog rosy? Tie-dye booths in rocks............

SNIP !!] pages of pointless words joined together in sentences which make no sense whatsoever, although it was indeed palindromic. Mark

........ask cornish to obey deity?s or god?s item. I, God, damn it! I was in it! To Hades, acne trap, sad loser! As warts pop, a dosser I ? we ? vile rat, sack! Same row, oh woe! Macaroni, rats, as a hoot, tie. I vomit on rats.\"

Do I get the prize this time?
HF

Pedants... - helicopter
OK You win the prize HF( A cyber coconut) - You obviously found www.palindromelist.com and your copy and paste buttons . I hope you didn't type that lot.

It just amazes me that someone sat down and spent time devising it.

Pedants... - HF
Spot on Heli - and there I was hoping you'd think I'd just made it up myself...
Pedants... - Pugugly {P}
What was in that cake my PA brought back from Amsterdam ???
Pedants... - HF
One of these maybe, PU?

"Palindromic drug names include XANAX, RAXAR, LEXXEL, LOZOL, and MERREM."

Vectra at auction - Mapmaker
Pedantly - why does he need more than one ground for deletion....? A waste of ink, methinks.
Pedant - Vin {P}
Pedantly - why does he need more than one ground for
deletion....? A waste of ink, methinks.

Not wishing to be a pedant, I think you mean "Pedantically".

V
Pedant - Mapmaker
No no no no no no no! Addressed to my partner in crime, (pedant in crime?) Patently! With apologies to him for mangling his name, but it just seemed to be right at the time...

Pedant - Vin {P}
Ah.
Pedant - patently
Ah.

So.
Pedant - Imagos
Not wishing to be a pedant, I think you mean "Pedantically".

if you are then go here tinyurl.com/2wner
Toy cars - what's the point? - Mapmaker
Giving toy cars to small children just encourages them to:

1. make silly brrrm brrrm noises;
2. indulge in conspicuous consumption at a young age (think of all those little Patentlies with their model Porsches);
3. aspire towards gas guzzlers - who will admit to not having had a Tonka Truck that inspired them towards their IVxIV gas guzzler.
Toy cars - what's the point? - Adam {P}
Mapmaker. Are you crazy???
Toy cars don't influence you at all!

Incidently, my Eucalyd Earth Mover has been purchased and should arrive in 6 - 12 weeks.
Toy cars - what's the point? - just a bloke
ROFLAMO

:-)

For goodness sake Adski, this is a very important point I am making, you must NOT belittle it like that.

I mean, consider: would you rather have this:

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...1

or three of these:

cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=...1

Toy cars - what's the point? - patently
Gosh. One model 911 turbo or three old 205s.

Hmmm.

Errm...

Still thinking about it, sorry.

Err..
Toy cars - what's the point? - NowWheels
Giving toy cars to small children just encourages them to:
1. make silly brrrm brrrm noises;

etc

even worse, it encourages them to become boys! ;-)
Toy cars - what's the point? - googolplex
My cars used to go bup-bup-bup-bup-bup...
Splodgeface
Toy cars - what's the point? - Altea Ego
If we didnt give our kids toy cars, they would make them. Not only that we would have people like Mapmaker (and me) making comments on here. Come to think of it - there wouldnt be a "here"
Toy cars - what's the point? - Pugugly {P}
Mine were delivered de-badged had doors that shut with a satidfactory clunk and occupied the fast lane on my little cardboard road layout...
Toy cars - what's the point? - patently
Alright, I'm going to admit it.

Mapmaker is right. Patently minor has a toy 911.
Toy cars - what's the point? - NowWheels
Mapmaker is right. Patently minor has a toy 911.

surely all 911s are toys?

It's just a matter of wherher they are toys for little boys or for big boys ;-)
And anyway they're an outrageous waste of petrol. You cannot even get 4 children into them, so they're not even good for the school run. [/loony lefty mode]

Wonder why this ended up in the silly thread........
Toy cars - what's the point? - billy25
which were the "quality" toy cars to have? i seem to remember that "corgi" had more "extras" like opening doors/bonnet/boots etc than "dinky". Match-box at the time, were the poor-kids brand.
Toy cars - what's the point? - just a bloke
which were the "quality" toy cars to have? i seem to
remember that "corgi" had more "extras" like opening doors/bonnet/boots etc than
"dinky". Match-box at the time, were the poor-kids brand.

but Matchbox had a much bigger range and of course the fantastic "Motor City" roadway.

Sort of like a scaletrix, the track had 2 slots containing a continuos spring. You stuck a little spike to the bottom of your favourite cars and stuck the spike in the spring and hey presto the cars were "driven" round the track!

How cool is that :-)
Toy cars - what's the point? - billy25
Matchbox had a much bigger range

he he!- "more extensive", hardly "bigger"!!:-)

it used to be a big thing amongst kids in my day, sort of "who's the daddy", if you turned up in the playground on a monday morning, with a "corgi jaguar mk2",that you'd just bought with your pocket money on saturday. you were also accepted if you had a "dinky capri-(the one with tail fins"),but if you had only got a matchbox car, you kept it at home, and told your friends that you bought sweets!.
and all this rivalry even before the advent of the 4x4!!.
Toy cars - what's the point? - Stargazer {P}
But Matchbox with superwheels were 16 new pence each at the newsagents, Corgi were much more expensive and didnt fit on the yellow superfast track (complete with loop the loop).

(back in the days when each model car came in a yellow carboard box...none of this plastic blisterpack rubbish)

Ian L.
Toy cars - what's the point? - Citroënian {P}
Ahh, the loop the loop. Hands up everyone who set a car off from each side for the huge crash somewhere near the middle of the loop!

Disappointing that the Silly Thread has been absent from March to June...... must try harder!

--
Lee
MINI adventure in progress
Toy cars - what's the point? - Stargazer {P}
Guilty as charged.....also blutacking 3 or 4 cars together then sending them down the track all at once....many many years before the Vauxhall Astra(?) ads on tv.

StarGazer
Pants - frostbite
Bought some Y-fronts on eBay (identical to M&S variety, quarter price).

In packs of three, bound together by cardboard folded and fastened over entire width.

Printed on cardboard "remove before wearing".
Pants - Nsar
Once had a really good list of daft warnings on products the only one I can remember now was printed on a pack of kitchen knives....
"Keep out of children"
Pants - HF
Ooer - I'd been under the impression that Ebay stuff was second-hand. Hopefully in Frostie's case this was not true. :)
Pants - andymc {P}
My favourite daft warning might have been on the site Nsar is thinking of, in fact I seem to remember posting it here before. It was on the label of a Superman outfit, and it said "Wearing of this garment does not enable you to fly".
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmmm, doughnuts
Pants - patently
Sorry to be so late in posting this but, seen on the rear of a packet of KP salted peanuts:

"WARNING: This product may contain nuts"

It was the "may" that worried me most.
Pants - Mapmaker
Had your BMW stolen? else why are you late!
Pants - patently
No, glad to say that it's safe. I've just been a bit busy lately, earning enough to pay for it...
Pants - Mapmaker
Lucky you. Lucky it!
Pants - patently
Yes, I admit I'm a lucky so-and-so.

There was a family gathering last night - a distant relative(-in-law) who doesn't know about the 911 saw the BMW and commented that I'd obviously brought the "special occasions" car. Ummm err ahhh....

As to whether the cars are lucky to be owned by me, I really couldn't comment.
Pants - Mapmaker
Can you fit all the Patentlies in the back of your "special occasions" car, though?
Pants - patently
Grown-up patentlies only last night - too tiresome for patentlies pending.

But yes, they can all fit in although one has an irritating habit of shouting "Wheeeeeeee" every time we go round a corner and the other throws up too often.

[Technically, they don't all fit "in the back"; Mrs P needs to sit in the front and the little patentlies go in the back]
Pants - spikeyhead {p}
Sorry to be so late in posting this but, seen on
the rear of a packet of KP salted peanuts:
"WARNING: This product may contain nuts"
It was the "may" that worried me most.

This actually makes a lot of sense. Peanuts grow underground and despite their name, they are not nut, so many with nut allergy's can eat them. However as they are often processed and or packaged in factories where nuts are processed, then the packet "may" contain nuts.
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Pants - THe Growler
Speaking of intimate apparel, last week I noticed my partner sorting through what must have been 50 or more sets of dainty ladies' unmentionables on the kitchen table. Blimey I said, I didn't know you needed that many.

She doesn't.

Seems that a Filipina ex schoolfriend of hers is a flight attendant and flies for (Very Conservative Country) Airlines. Is here on just a 24-hour layover and airline doesn't allow them to leave the hotel.

Could she get her some of those which go with low waist jeans and don't show the waistband when the wearer bends over. She can sell them at a good profit back in (capital of Very Conservative Country) to the local ladies.

Just a minute I said, why do they need those when they have to wear the full cover-up works over there anyway? Who's going to notice?

It's too hard to explain Babes, you'd never understand......

....seems like it.

Wish it would stop raining here, too much time on my hands.....
Flag flying problem - bert-j
I was amused to hear the bloke next door cursing because the flags he's been flying from his Ford Galaxy have abraded and dulled the paint on part of its roof! Presumably the constant flapping has worn away the paint.
Flag flying problem - Sooty Tailpipes
This is a common problem with wedding cars too, must keep the bodywork very clean!
Flag flying problem - Vansboy
Thats why you see that old bit of rag hanging under lorry drivers mirrors - the wind doesn't blow it back, instead it blows around - thus cleaning the glass constantly.

VB
Flag flying problem - No Do$h
We left the ribbons on the Alfa when we got married last year. Drove down to Milan, getting toots, smiles and waves the whole way. Almost worth the 4 polishes it took to get the marks off the paintwork. :o{
Flag flying problem - Aretas
Anyone who loves cars and hates flags should read www.sniffpetrol.com
Flag flying problem - HF
Hey lighten up people!

We English generally have one week (or in outstanding years, 2) every 2 or 4 years to hope for that repeat of 1966. If people want to fly a flag on their car, what's the problem? I know that for reasons unknown it's suddenly become incredibly popular (which is annoying to those of us who have always been in the tiny minority of flag-flyers before), but as long as it isn't harming anyone - and those flying flags don't mind polishing their car afterwards - what's the problem?

I don't suppose it's ok here to wish the England team good luck for tomorrow night? ;) (not that they'll be reading, I guess, so close to a game).

Flag flying problem - Mapmaker
Bill Deedes in this morning's Telegraph reports a letter published last week in the Grauniad which broadly said 'Remove your flags & improve your mpg. If not, then stop moaning about fuel prices.' Bravo!
Flag flying problem - David Horn
Hehe - in Devon I keep finding flags stuck in the hedges. I've got sixteen so far, and am looking forward to a ceremonial flag burning in a week or two. Wretched football - it's knocked everything else off the box.
Flag flying problem - malteser
Yeah - and the bludgers LOST to the Frogs! Ho Ho!
Roger in Spain
Flag flying problem - teabelly
There is a plethora of the things on vehicles in my road. I am so tempted to go along with some shears in the middle of the night snipping them off :-) Biscuit taker was a car I saw this morning with a flag on each window and a huge flag in the rear quarter light. 5 flags in all so that would make the owner about as intelligent as a small wasp.

I can't wait until England get knocked out so we can have the decent tv back!
teabelly
Flag flying problem - frostbite
I can't wait until England get knocked out so we can
have the decent tv back!

>

What a mean spirited and totally selfish attitude to take!

Completely agree.
Flag flying problem - Ian (Cape Town)
hehe - Indeed. "pikeytat" tends to sum it up gloriously...
Like those buffonish red noses which used to (Dunno if they still do) turn up every Comic Relief day... Fine, put them on, for all the right reasons, but don't drive about for weeks afterwards...
Anyway, as we are not allowed to write about sport here, I shall not say anything about performances against France, nor the embarrassment of Auckland. (Thank God for cricket!).
Flag flying problem - just a bloke
have you noticed that before saturday just about every other car you saw had a flag ( at least!)but this morning on the drive in I counted only 2... fair weather supporters or what?

:-) Not That I partucularly care for footie.

Hoorah for the cricket!
Flag flying problem - frostbite
I counted only 2...

Were they flying at half-mast?
Flag flying problem - Myles
Hoorah for the cricket!

And it's not often that you can say that!
Flag flying problem - Anglesey Ian
In this part of the world, to drive around with the English flag flapping from your car is inviting potential trouble from certain political elements and I've heard of cars being damaged (presumably) for doing just that. This of course, is in addition to the eroded/abrased lacquer finish of the paint.

A local habit here in North Wales at least, is to hedge your bets by flying the Red Cross from one side and the Welsh Dragon from the other. It may well be, as a result, that the number of car laden flags per capita is higher here than in other parts of the UK.

I do not offer any opinion as to the merits of flag flying (or not) other than I find it a curious phenomenom in wanting to advertise your affinity to a 'tribe' (from an anthropological perspective).

Hoorah for the cricket! (Damn it - someone else has already said that)

AI
Flag flying problem - NowWheels
A local habit here in North Wales at least, is to
hedge your bets by flying the Red Cross from one side
and the Welsh Dragon from the other.

Sounds like a recipe for incurring the wrath of both sets of fans!
Latest statement from DVLA - terryb
The following statement has recently been released by the DVLA -
"In order to assist other motorists in identifying potentially dangerous drivers, it is now compulsory for anyone with a lower than average driving ability to display a warning flag. The flag (comprising a red cross on a white background) will be attached to the top of at least one door of the vehicle."

Additional flags are required for drivers of exceptionally low ability
Latest statement from DVLA - J Bonington Jagworth
Thank you mods, for sparing my blushes (I posted something similar). I'll look here next time...
New safety measure - J Bonington Jagworth
In the interests of road safety, inexperienced motorists, or those of limited ability, are being encouraged to indicate their condition by flying a suitable flag. The recommended style is a red cross on a white background.

Particularly severe cases, to be treated with extra caution by other road users, may fly more than one flag…
New safety measure - pdc {P}
do we have to have this thread started twice weekly?
New safety measure - Sooty Tailpipes
Hey racist! I bet you wouldn't dare say that about moons and crescents!
New safety measure - Ian (Cape Town)
Are you having a go at my beloved Portsmouth Football Club again???
Hey racist! I bet you wouldn't dare say that about moons
and crescents!
New safety measure - terryb
JBJ

See
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=22741&...e

--
Terry
New safety measure - Dynamic Dave
Thanks for the link terryb. Thread locked.

DD.
england flag (again) - Imagos
whatever next..

www.seriousaboutnews.com/mk/page.html?pageID=47&st...8
england flag (again) - NowWheels
imagos, I note the police quote:

"The flying of flags from cars in itself is not illegal unless it puts the car in a dangerous condition or it restricts the driver's view.

"Drivers are asked to exercise common sense. No specific instruction has been given to roads policing officers."

Given the lack of common sense on the roads these days, I fear the police could be quite busy ...

... but only if there are any traffic police around. And that's another discussion, off-topic for a silly thread!
New safety measure - J Bonington Jagworth
Thanks, Terry. I see my blushes weren't spared, after all!

Wish we could have an edit (or at least, a delete) button...
Silly Thread Volume V. - THe Growler
We are also flooded with the dreaded poofball on all 5 sports channels where I live.

And, wait for it, even in these far-flung tropics we have a small but visible infestation of said flags. My response is to fly my Confederate Stars n Bars off the back of my Harley.....What with that and F1 it's more than a body can stand. You would think with the time difference and it all happening in the middle of the night you might be spared but oh no you get the re-runs as well. Then while you're watching them some crashing bore comes into the pub and announces the final score while you're still watching the game.

However we did fit in some rugger the other day (yes yes I know the result) and we get regular Aussie Rules footie, which I enjoy. That's a nice neat fast contact sport if you don't know it.

Mind you I always get a laugh out of those overpaid little girls writhing in agony when someone steps on their toe and having to be carted off with great drama by 6 paramedics in a poofball match. Contrast that with a good hard game of rugger where a chap gets slammed into the ground, gets up, then shakes his head, mops the blood off and carries on playing. Now that's a man's game.

Rugby Thread Volume V. - Ian (Cape Town)
Aah Growler, in that case your weekend is ruined! Nz v England, Sa v Ireland (In Cape Town!) and I think there may be a Wales v Argies - all on Saturday. In between the US grand prix, and a bit of 'poofball' you'll just have to stack up on the ales, and spend the weekend vegetating either in fron to the telly, or down at the local boozer!
It was a holiday here yesterday (Soweto Masscre Day, for those interested in history) so I took the Mrs shopping, to 'free me up' for the weekend.
In the afternnon, I had to fetch a colleague at the airport, and ran into a bunch of Springbok's arriving from Johannesburg. Slightly small chaps, aren't they?
Rugby Thread Volume V. - THe Growler
Hmph! -- as her Philippinne-ness is prone to observing. Nothing for it then but to pitch camp at the Handle Bar, get a couple of the waitresses to wash my Softail (now now that's enough of that.... stop tittering, really they do that) while I do the San Miguel a bit of damage and observe the proceedings on the large screen with the rest of the expat population and its respective paramours.

Wales vs the Argies has to be a must-see. I hope I can stay awake.

Might manage one of the local 18 oz porterhouses with all the trappings in between sips of the amber nectar. Looks like another busy day (sigh).

Motoring? Well of course I am riding there and back.......

Rugby Thread Volume V. - frostbite
Be thankful you don't have hours of Henman's cleched fist gesture to look forward to also........ or have you?
Rugby Thread Volume V. - Ian (Cape Town)
Henmania: Don't worry, it doesn't last long!
By the way, 3-0 is a good result, I thought!
I'll put my flag [3X4 Umbro] on the car tonight!!!!
Rugby Thread Volume V. - THe Growler
Frostbite yes we had that too. I didn't know it was possible for a tennis match to last the lifetime of the average person.

I just switched to the nightly lingerie show on the Fashion Channel 99.....