What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XIII - Dynamic Dave

Thread closed. Please see vol XIV for further discussions.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=21340

Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XII is closed and this thread has been started.

For the continued discussions around the subject of speeding, usually excluding cameras which are in another thread.

Older versions will not be deleted, so there is no need to repost any old stuff.

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18848

DD,
BackRoom Moderator
116 in a 40 zone - Wilco {P}
Check this out

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/3490894....m

Nutter.
116 in a 40 zone - Flat in Fifth
The road where this richard head was caught is well known for ridiculous antics from the local Nova, Corsa, Saxo Lax Power merchants.

For those who don\'t know it the road is a 40 mph dual, with parked cars, pedestrians, housing, school, park and some light commercial premises fronting onto. To his slight credit the direction in which his offence took place is the more lightly populated of the two carriageways.

Speeds above 80mph are not uncommon. 116 mph is just plain loopy.

Also of significance is that on the previous hearing the next person up before the beak was the lad\'s father for attempting to obstruct the course of justice in connection with his son\'s offence. That indicates a lot in my opinion.

Of course .....and the rest, whilst a widely held view based on the number of times I delete stuff like this, is not really relevant to motoring and so slides down the slippery slope into the moderating pit, never to be seen again. ND
116 in a 40 zone - Fullchat
With you on your final conclusion FiF (After being moderated!)

Is this behaviour not so typical of society today though (not mederating!) " I'll do as I dam well please, the law is for everyone else and not me." Arrogance is one adjective I'd start with.

Fullchat
116 in a 40 zone - Flat in Fifth
(After being moderated!)
Fullchat

Hi FC,

Ermm yes well I slipped over the line with a short paragraph comparing the sentence for a motoring offence with that for a non motoring offence. Not sufficiently on topic apparently, no big deal nevertheless.

Funnily enough I drove down this road yesterday the first time since posting the comments above. As you might guess still stand by all the comments.

Keep up the good work,

FiF
116 in a 40 zone - patently
This shows what can happen when police officers turn up - they catch the utter nutters and lock them up.

If he (a) has acces to a car able to accelerate to 116mph on a normal road and (b) can hold a car at 116mph in a straight line then I bet this wasn't the first time he tried it. So why has he not been caught four times, accumulated 12 points and lost his licence?

Easy - these are, of course, the ones who know where the cameras are and have radar detectors etc. So the cameras have not caught them. It took the application of human intelligence to do so.

I wish him the worst of fortune in his appeal against the sentence.
Stop Press from Wolvherhampton Crown Ct - Flat in Fifth
116mph boy racer freed after appeal

A teenage speeder locked up for driving his dad's car at 116mph in a 40mph zone today won a bid for freedom.
James Green had received three months' youth custody for dangerous driving on a Quarry Bank road plagued by boy racers.
But the 18-year-old, of Hockley Lane, Netherton, successfully appealed against his sentence when he appeared at Wolverhampton crown court today.
Instead recorder Peter Joyce said he must carry out 100 hours' unpaid work for the community and he was also made subject of a 12-month rehabilitation order.
But he said Green had not been let off.
"We are making you aware of just how serious it is. You have just served a week and we consider you a young man of previous good character.
"It has been a very sharp learning experience but we are also going to make you remember for far longer."
After the hearing Green said he was delighted the court had overturned the decision made by Halesowen magistrates.
His barrister had earlier claimed that he had been a scapegoat for all young men who drive fast.
Green said today: "I fully intend to honour the order that has been made by the court. I want the opportunity to get on with my life and put this shameful episode behind me."
His 18-month driving ban still stands.
He was caught driving his dad's 2.8-litre Volkswagen Golf nearly three times over the speed limit during a police crackdown on boy racers along Thorns Road.
People living on the street had resorted to painting home-made warning signs "Watch Your Speed" on the road in a bid to slow down motorists.
Green's father was fined £750 after admitting trying to cover up his son's offence.
Stephen Green, of Hockley Lane, Netherton, sent false documents to the DVLA stating his car had been sold three days before his son was caught speeding.
Stop Press from Wolvherhampton Crown Ct - BrianW
"People living on the street had resorted to painting home-made warning signs "Watch Your Speed" on the road in a bid to slow down motorists. "

Surely this is criminal damage ?

Any prosecutions pending?
Stop Press from Wolvherhampton Crown Ct - patently
Thames Valley Police have been very annoyed about a driver who has been holding up a 30mph sign to warn drivers to stay within the speed limit:

www.aylesburytoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?Section...5

He tends to do so shortly before the speed trap that caught him, pointing out that he is trying to get people to stay within the limit and that this is, after all, the intention of enforcement. TVP are not amused and have threatened to prosecute - not sure on what grounds though!

Perhaps they'll bring a civil action for the lost income?
Stop Press from Wolvherhampton Crown Ct - Adam {P}
I suppose this is similar to flashing your lights to warn another driver of a speed trap he is going to pass. I'm sure there was a thread a while ago about someone who had been told off/arrested/shot (I can't recall) by a police motorcyclist for doing exactly that. In defence, how different is flashing your lights to warn someone of a 30mph (and a speed trap ahead), and telling someone not to smash a window to break into a house? You're preventing a crime from being committed - surely the police would be happy you had prevented a possible death from speeding.

Controversial I know I I have a feeling it may be cut imminently.

Many Thanks

Adam.
Balanced article? - Dwight Van Driver
www.tinyurl.com/2jedz

Balanced article ?

DVD
Balanced article? - teabelly
Not quite a balanced article. It fails to mention regression to the mean and that most cameras are currently in the wrong places. Sites are deliberately chosen where it is safe to speed and in the places where it is dangerous to speed don't get cameras ironically because not enough people are speeding there. It also fails to mention that we already have the safest roads in the entire world so whatever we were doing was right long before we had speed cameras or even zero tolerance speed enforcement. The accident statistics at camera sites won't have details of actual traffic flow so if there has been a drop in accidents of say 10% and a drop in traffic of 20% then what do those statistics tell you?

teabelly
Balanced article? - Mark (RLBS)
....that there has been 10% less accidents.

Now, if there has been an increase elsewhere, that would make a difference.
Balanced article? - patently
....that there has been 10% less accidents.
Now, if there has been an increase elsewhere, that would make
a difference.

I saw the accident figures for Bucks recently in a local paper. They proudly pointed to a drop on roads where speed cameras were installed. Sadly, the raw figures showed no drop in the county's overall figures.

Conclusion: same number of accidents, different places.

I see the Times article says:

"It is partly because overregulation has created disrespect for speed limits. "

Couldn't agree more, although I believe the disrespect has spread beyond speed limits.
Balanced article? - SR
So are cameras to blame for what happens in other places? No - drivers are. People argue that cameras should only be sited in accident blackspots, but this proves that approach just shifts the problem elsewhere.

If drivers persist in trying to evade the law there will always be a perfect excuse for further "overregulation".
Balanced article? - Myles
"Sites are deliberately chosen where it is safe to speed and in the places where it is dangerous to speed don't get cameras ironically because not enough people are speeding there."

I'm sorry, but I'd disagree with that. Although somewhere may be considered "safe" because there are relatively few accidents there, this does not automatically mean that speeding drivers do not have a negative impact on other road users in the area.

For example, I live close to a section of the A23 which is in a residential area, with shops adjacent to the road, nearby schools, and is subject to a 30mph limit. The road is quite wide, straight and visibility is good. As a result, the majority of drivers are doing upwards of 40mph. This means it can be very difficult for cars to join from side roads and equally difficult for pedestrians to cross the road. There are few accidents along this road but, I'd suggest, this is down to those joining/crossing the road being aware of the difficulties and either taking additional care or using alternate routes (I certainly know plenty of people who do this).

In my mind, this is a stretch of road where it is dangerous to speed but because people have altered their behaviour to account for the speeders there aren't the accidents to demonstrate it as "dangerous". And this is an issue which is almost totally ignored when this subject is discussed - it invariably boils down to accident statistics without looking at the wider negative effects.
Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XIII - pdc {P}
Am currently browsing various sites for information re parking offences. Came across an interesting story about a man who registered his car in the name of his 9 year old daughter in order to evade paying parking fines. He managed to run up £25,000 in fines which the council couldn't obtain from a minor. Eventually they towed the vehicle, containing his stock, and he couldnt have it back until the fines were settled. Of course, this was all reported in a local rag, so it's accuracy can not be validated.

Got me wondering whether this could form the basis of the next speeding loophole. Could a minor, the registered keeper of a speeding vehicle, be prosecuted for not supplying the name of the offending driver?
Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XIII - patently
One snag that springs to mind is insurance. I am a partner in my business, so the firm pays for our cars and is the RK. We arrange insurance in our own name and inform the insurer that we are not the registered keeper.

They usually ask who is, and why. I find I'm ok if I offer an explanation as per the above. I wonder what might happen if I explained that my son is the RK as he can't be prosecuted for failing to give my name if/when I receive a speeding NIP.
Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XIII - Adam {P}
It is with great interest that I read this thread and in doing so, I would like to put forward a theory. I could be completely off and dont' all attack me if you disagree but do you think there are different attitudes towards speeding depending where you live? I say this because a journey from my house to a destination 10 miles away and you can guarantee that at the speed limit (sometimes a few miles per hour over) you get overtaken AT LEAST 7 - maybe 8 times. Some overtakes are dangerous admittedly but others are well executed ....despite them breaking the law by speeding, on long straight roads. I know this is an odd theory but I read posts that suggest people who speed at 31mph should be hung drawn and quartered. Don't get me wrong - speeding in a lot of areas is dangerous and I don't want to start an argument over whether it's right or not as we've all heard it but I would be interested to know the driving habits in other parts of the country.
--
"Ah...beer - my only weakness - my achilles heel if you will"
Speeding (mostly excl cameras) XIII - BrianW
I drive in Essex and London.

In London most traffic exceeds the limit unless they are actually going past a camera (subject to traffic conditions, of course).

In Essex outside towns most traffic is below the NSL, except on dual carriageways.

I wonder if there is a tendency for drivers in congested areas to "make up time" for traffic lights and congestion delays which is not present where traffic is moving at a reasonable pace.
If so traffic management measures which usually aim to slow traffic may be having the opposite to intended effect.
Notice of intended prosecution - Ben {P}
I got a notice of intended prosecution through the post the other day. I think i have been caught by an enforcement van. The endorsable offence is 50 in a 40. Its a dual carrigeway, 70 a lot of the way, then down to fifty. Just before where they park the van there are two tiny 40 signs. Damn.

Now, is there anyway i could get out of this! Can i ask for proof the speed gun was calibrated that day?

The notice asks for driver information. Where does the law stand regarding self incrimination? I have a very vague recollection of, was it the Hamiltons, being caught on a camera with both people in the car. They got away with it as they said they could not remember who was driving. Is this still a viable defence? I doubt i could try such a tactic as there was only me in the car when i was caught.

Thought i would ask before i post the thing back. Renewed my insurance this morning- i'm already paying as though i have three points! Not been caught speeding before.

Notice of intended prosecution - Kuang
I seem to rebember hearing that too many people were using the 'not sure who was driving' excuse, so the penalty now defaults to the registered keeper of the vehicle. I could well be wrong though, as this is just a hazy recollection.
Notice of intended prosecution - Blue {P}
Sorry to hear about that mate, IIRC the reason that they got away with it so successfully was because there was some form of significant delay in between the time of the offence and their actual prosecution I think.

Good luck getting it sorted, although unless the 40 signs are illegally sized, then I doubt you'll get far, but good luck anyway!

Blue
Notice of intended prosecution - Ben {P}
Thanks. Just found a bit about it from Dwight_Van_Driver in an old speeding thread. Looks like i will just have to own up.
Notice of intended prosecution - Thommo
Check out the ABD site. Lots of useful information about self-incrimination and EU laws.

www.abd.org.uk/
Notice of intended prosecution - Dwight Van Driver
Ben

You have PEM.

DVD
Notice of intended prosecution - Peter D
You say tiny 40MPH signs. Check that out I beleive there are regulations regarding the size of such signs and particularly the the first sign that reduces the limit. This could be your savour. You also say just before the van. The equipment could have detected you when you were still in the 50 zone. Regards PEter
Notice of intended prosecution - Sooty Tailpipes
Yes check the signs, here in Nottingham there are a few places (and I have photos) where the Nottighamshire Cash Production partneship vans park to do their tricks, but there are either one sign or both speed limit signs missing. I have complained to the paper who ignored me, and the council who replaced them after a few weeks where two had been missing for a year, but the others are still missing, in fact in one place Wilford Lane, there is only on on the OPPOSITE side of the road, and it's swiveled round so you can't see it, there isn't even a pole on the side you're driving on, and no sign there ever was one, then there is a corner and the road dips down, and they setup their scamera there.
Notice of intended prosecution - pdc {P}
Ben,

if it's a 172 NIP then fill it in, say you were driving, but do not sign it. You will then probably get a letter telling you that you are facing a £1000 fine and more points if you do not sign the form. Just write back and ask for them to point out where in law it states that you have to sign the form. Your only obligation is to name the driver, not to sign the form.

They can't use the form in a court if it is not signed.

This ploy is working in the Greater Manchester area at the moment. I've used it and I know of 9 others who have also used it.

There is more info over at www.safespeed.org
Notice of intended prosecution - pdc {P}
The info you need is here

www.safespeed.org.uk/unsigned.html

I used the bolierplate letter that is included on that page.
Making child registered keeper - JamZ
What is there to stop me making my 7 month old son the registered keeper of my vehicle? If I was then to be caught speeding, the NIP would be sent to him (as registered keeper). Being a baby, surely he could not be prosecuted for failing to name the driver at the time of the offence?

Just wondering really!

~JamZ
Making child registered keeper - Guru-Meditation
You would have a seven month old baby take the fall for your wrong doing?
Making child registered keeper - JamZ
It was a hypothetical question - I have a completely clean licence so have no need of such things ;-)
Making child registered keeper - patently
I think that the theory is that a seven month old child cannot be prosecuted as they are too young. Hence, if they "refuse" to give details of the driver then there is no evidence to prosecute the driver and no-one that can be prosecuted for failing to disclose.

The problem is surely that its a bit too obvious. Surely there must be some way that the parents/guardians of the child could be deemed liable for the child, as they had clearly set it up. And how do you propose to secure the child's signature on the form?

And, if you are somehow done for speeding, is the bench going to be lenient in sentencing when you have clearly made advance plans to evade justice?
Making child registered keeper - pdc {P}
I mentioned this in another thread sometime in the last 2 weeks with regards parking fines. A guy down south registered his 8 year old as the owner and racked up over £20000 in fines. Local council couldn't persue the child for the fines, so they eventually impounded the vehicle and were not prepared to release it until the monies owed were paid.

Different situation re speeding though.
Making child registered keeper - THe Growler
I am sure any trained legal mind will correct me if I am wrong , but how can a minor "enter" into what is essentially a legal agreement, i.e. the registration of a vehicle with the authorities.
Didn't realise that there is a legal agreement between vehicle owner and authorities. I just thought there was a legal requirement to let them know who owns the vehicle. there is a difference between a requirement and a contract.
The registered keeper as recorded by DVLA is not necessarily the legal owner, as the V5 makes clear. It is merely the usual keeper of the vehicle and the person who accepts the responsibility to comply with s172.

If I were at the CPS, I would go for the parent who had obviously arranged for a false statement to be made to DVLA. Interesting to establish which parent, though.
Why would it be a false statement? Why can't a 7 month old child own a car. They can't drive it, but there is nothing to stop them owning/keeping it.

It would be obvious as to why anyone would do so, but legally, there would be nothing to stop a kid owning a vehicle.
To own it they would need to have entered into a contract through which they acquired it.

Now, my legal training was (a) very patchy and (b) a long time ago, but I seem to recall that a minor can only enter into a valid contract for "necessaries", i.e. bread, milk etc etc. I doubt that a contract for sale of a car to a seven month old would be able to stand up in court. (Rather like the seven month old, really... sorry!)

You don't have to buy something to own it. Am sure that you consider gifts that you have received for birthdays etc to belong to you patently.
Yes there is always the good old deed of gift, but I would suggest that a gift of a useable vehicle from a parent to a seven month old child is somewhat lacking in credibility.

Also, if the recipient is incapable of independent legal activity then it seems unlikely that they could be party to the implied deed of gift and hence ownership has again failed to pass.

Any further than this is way over my head and requires a lawyer!

I don't get that many birthday presents anyway ... and those that do come never fit..... (sniff)
Making child registered keeper - Dwight Van Driver
172 does not only make the demand for details on the Reg Keeper but also "any other person shall give information which is in his power to give and which may lead to the identification of the driver" Offence not to do so.

Seemingly this could be used against the parent of tot?

DVD

Making child registered keeper - Thommo
Is it me or is the tide against scameras turning?

The police are getting ever more shrill in their defence and are turning on their own, like trying to remove Brunstrom as head of the road policing organisation.

No politician could remove scameras as the tree huggers would be shroud waving at the next road death and claiming that it wouldn't have happened with scameras in place but I wonder if the politicians are secretly hoping that the EU case on self-incrimination is lost and they can then quietly go in to reverse whilst claiming its nothing to do with them?
Speeding in town - cjehuk
Last night I was on the local industrial estate travelling at bang on the legal 30mph limit. In the space of 100 yards two taxi drivers (local company) tailgates then overtook over a hatched centre section, no traffic but still illegal. Shortly before moving from the 30 to a 40 limit area another person again overtook me while I was still travelling at the limit. Just goes to show people don't pay attention to limits any more. I am as guilty as anyone but I do my best not to speed in areas that are not NSL.

The guy caught doing 116 was just plain stupid. That is excessive speed anywhere except a very clear motorway in good visibility. I am young, I drive a powerful car, the key is being responsible to control your car responsibly.

Chris
Speeding in town - pdc {P}
overtook over
a hatched centre section, no traffic but still illegal.

Not necessarily true. Only if the whiteline running the length of the hatches was unbroken would this be illegal.
30mph on rural roads - formerfarmer
Just recently I was travelling on an A classified road in N.Herefordshire,when I was staggered to come across lengths of 30mph yes thirty,maximum speed restrictions. These were both about 500 to 700 metres long with several medium to sharp bends.The bends all had a profusion of chevron boards and preceding warning signs but nowhere were the any houses,pavements or lighting.

My understanding was that 30mph restrictions were for built up areas or has the law been changed?
Perhaps this is a cop-out for the Highway Authority rather than re align the carriageway.
30mph on rural roads - Sooty Tailpipes
It's all part of the dumbing down process....they allow anyone on the roads these days, and even those aren't allowed are allowed to do as they please.......even a cup off coffee you buy says "Careful! This is drink is hot!" on the cup!!
30mph on rural roads - Thommo
Government studies show that if you travel at 30mph nothing bad can ever happen to you, even young children bounce harmlessly off the front of 4 wheel drives, details on the following link:

homepage.ntlworld.com/keith.jones61/index.htm
30mph on rural roads - Roger Jones
Herts CC have a policy of slapping 30mph limits on any stretch of road passing through what they deem to be a village. It has resulted in plenty of nonsense, such arrant nonsense that the limits are ignored by most drivers. That is of course wonderful progress: inducing widespread disrespect for the law because the authorities are bringing the law into the contempt of the general public, which knocks on into further disrespect of the law in this an all other domains.

On top of that, the true villages that are desperate for effective speed control never see it happening. The example most familiar to me is Whitwell, near Hitchin, whose very narrow High Street, jammed with residential buidings and littered with parked cars, sees idiots charging through at 40, 50 and more ? e.g. day before yesterday: young woman, child in car, "baby on board" sign obscuring rearward vision, on the telephone, on wrong side of the road. No-one can recall seeing any attempt by the police to catch offenders in what is a truly hazardous strech of road ? hazardous for the residents.
30mph on rural roads - helicopter
Local Village to us has 30 mph limit that extends way beyond the actual village itself ,it includes one farmhouse in a straight stretch recently completely resurfaced of 3/4 mile which is the only passing opportunity for miles.Used to be horrendously bumpy but now excellent bit of road.

The result is that the limit is completely ignored - the only likely casualty is the odd pheasant.

Incidentally has any body else noticed how many pheasants seem to commit suicide , almost as many squashed on roads as hedgehogs and rabbits.

Pigeons however just peck stupidly on in the middle of the road and yet they never seem to get hit - how often do you see a squashed one ? I'll wager not often.
Older people and speeding - runboy
In recent days, newspapers have reported on two people (one male, one female) who are, shall we say, in the autumn of their lives.

Both had been caught speeding three times each, so 3 lots of £60 and 3 lots of 3 points.

Both people were complaining about the fact they were only doing about 10mph over the limit and it just shouldn't happen to them, being drivers of many years. One even said that he didn't see the camera because the sun was very bright. So he continued at 10mph over the limit.

What am I missing here?
Pointless Speed Limits - Armitage Shanks{P}
I regularly drive down the A1, past Stamford. As you come up the hill at the south end of the loop round Stamford you see signs saying "Danger - Workforce in the Road" - this work was completed last November! Some extra strong barriers have been installed in the centre reservation which have reduced the overall width of the 2 lanes by about 18 inches. Wide loads are advised to "Straddle Both Lanes" and there is a 40mph limit. Not much point that I can see and totally ignored by most drivers too.

Additionally, in the restricted stretch, there is a lay-by with an emergency telephone in it. This has been coned off and put out of use! If it was safe for people to use it and then pull out into a 70mph dual carriageway how can it be unsafe for them to merge into 40 mph traffic, admittedly most of it is doing 60 (see above!)? The county boundaries are odd and I am not sure what higher authority to consult. Unnecessary and apparently pointless limits like these do little to help and neither do signs about non-existent workforces!
Older people and speeding - Myles
In recent days, newspapers have reported on two people (one male,
one female) who are, shall we say, in the autumn of
their lives.
Both had been caught speeding three times each, so 3 lots
of £60 and 3 lots of 3 points.
Both people were complaining about the fact they were only doing
about 10mph over the limit and it just shouldn't happen to
them, being drivers of many years. One even said that he
didn't see the camera because the sun was very bright. So
he continued at 10mph over the limit.
What am I missing here?

Spot on, Runboy. And the chances are, if the camera said they were doing 10mph over the limit, their speedo was reading even more than that (it can read 10% over the actual speed but not one iota under), so if they were doing 40 in a 30, the speedo could've been reading up to 44.
30 YEARS OF THE WRONG SPEED LIMIT - pdc {P}
tinyurl.com/3hk2k

A CITY road's speed limit has been set at 40mph instead of 60mph for 30 years.

Now thousands of drivers fined for "speeding" could win a refund. The 40mph signs will stay up as officials apply to make the lower limit legal.

Yesterday the AA said: "This sounds like a complete administrative cock-up and just the thing to bring speed enforcement into disrepute."

Tory councillor Kate Mackenzie had appealed to extend a 200-yard 40mph zone on the busy Maybury Road in Edinburgh.

But officials found the limit should have been 60mph. Ms Mackenzie said: "The council admitted there was no order to cover the lower limit.

"Obviously they aren't going to take the signs down because that would make the problem worse."

Lawyer Margaret Smillie said: "Drivers fined for speeding have been wrongly penalised. They should be reimbursed."

Edinburgh Council blamed the error on failures in the 70s by now defunct Edinburgh Corporation. A spokeswoman said: "There may have been quite a few speeding convictions over the years."

A MOTORIST is caught speeding in Britain every 15 seconds, breakdown company Autonational Rescue said in a survey yesterday.
Rally Future Hangs In Balance - pdc {P}
Follow up to last years story about rally drivers being done for speeding in Wales.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/3562617.stm

Wrongful accusation of speeding - help! - Mikel
Today I received a notice of intended prosecution, stating that I was doing 82 in a 70 limit a couple of weeks ago (or pay £60 with 3 points). The stated registration number is correct (obviously, hence my receiving the notice at the corresponding address) but on the day in question I was > 150 miles away having lunch with my family. I have the debit card slip from the pub to prove this (as well as 10 other family members) and have calculated I would have needed to have maintained an average speed of > 85 mph to then get to the location in question. What do I do next-I assume either my registration has been cloned or the photographic/videographic evidence is faulty. Obviously anyone can say 'wasn't me guv honest' but what do back roomers recommend to be my course of action?
Wrongful accusation of speeding - help! - Mikel
Sorry, that should have read > 95 mph
Wrongful accusation of speeding - help! - Ian D
Write a letter (registered post) explaining the situation with a copy of the lunch receipt and ank for photgraphic evidence to be sent to you, then go from there...
Accident causation figures. - teabelly
The long awaited dft report on accident causation has finally materialised.

A quick summary:

Data from 13 Police forces for 2001 reveals the following most frequent
accident contributory factors:

* Inattention 25.8%
* Failure to judge other person's path or speed 22.6%
* Looked but did not see 19.7%
* Behaviour: careless/thoughtless/reckless 18.4%
* Failed to look 16.3%
* Lack of judgement of own path 13.7%
* Excessive speed 12.5%

Excessive speed includes both speed in excess of the limit and excessive speed for the conditions.

Full report here: tinyurl.com/ypufq
The table above is page 41, Appendix B2

It is interesting to note that the biggest causes of accidents are those caused by plain bad driving and lack of skills in judgement.
teabelly
Accident causation figures. - Van Driving Man
Thanks for the figures Teabelly.....but speeding motorists are just SO much easier to catch !! :(

And how much of the innatention percentage are those staring at their speedo to ensure they are not doing 31 or 32 (or 41 or 42, etc, etc) instead of keeping their eyes and their minds on the road ahead and events around them?

I am also a little surprised that frustration and/or road rage doesn't feature in the table.
Accident causation figures. - NARU
If you read the report, and the changes they're proposing to the collection methods, the speeding figure will be much larger next time. I await the government/media frenzy 'huge rise in accidents caused by speeding', when all that's happened is a change in the recording process.
Accident causation figures. - Chuffer Dandridge
>>And how much of the innatention percentage are those staring >>at their speedo to ensure they are not doing 31 or 32 (or 41 >>or 42, etc, etc) instead of keeping their eyes and their >>minds on the road ahead and events around them?

Can't agree with that. An experienced driver can easily differentiate between 30mph and 40mph by engine note, and observational judgement of speed (how quickly they are passing their surroundings). The speedo, which is already in the drivers line of sight, just needs to be glanced at, whilst still watching the road, to confirm speed is at or below the limit.

The opposing view would be how much of the innatention percentage involves drivers who are also paying innatention to their speed?
Accident causation figures. - patently
Alan,

I think VDM was asking how many drivers were looking at the speedo to tell the difference between (say) 29 and 31 mph or between 39 and 41 mph, not 30 and 40.

I agree that any driver who has passed their test should be able to tell the difference between 30 and 40. However, I for one can't tell the difference between 29 and 31 without the aid of a speedo, and there are areas of the country where one will get me a fine & points and the other won't. Thus, when in a camera-controlled area I will pay more attention to my speedo rather than judge speed by the rate at which the view moves past.

Now, the speedo is emphatically not a line-of-sight instrument, I'm afraid. First, it is below the line of sight and requires diversion of attention. Second, it is much closer than the world outside and hence requires your eyes to re-focus on the speedo and then re-focus on the road. So there is a momentary distraction caused by looking down.

The net result is that at the most dangerous areas, HMG installs a speed camera and makes us look inside the car to check speed just as we approach the blackspot. Not a good recipe.

Interestingly, those clever signs that light up to warn us of a hazard if we are above a preset speed have a success rate several times that of cameras, in terms of accident reduction. They are line of sight devices that are in view, at the same distance, and do not require us to divert atention away from the hazard.

If only there was a way to make them raise revenue then perhaps we might see more of them....
Accident causation figures. - Chad.R
Now, the speedo is emphatically not a line-of-sight instrument, I'm afraid. First, it is below the line of sight and requires diversion of attention. Second, it is much closer than the world outside and hence requires your eyes to re-focus on the speedo and then re-focus on the road. So there is a momentary distraction caused by looking down.

Perhaps head-up displays (HUD), as in the new E60 5 series is the way forward?

Chad.
Accident causation figures. - No Do$h
I am also a little surprised that frustration and/or road rage
doesn't feature in the table.

It does, under the heading "behaviour".

This report confirms what we have known all along; speed doesn't cause accidents. It's the poor judgement and application of speed as a part of the overall accident equation. Anyone trying to turn this study into support of the view that "Speed kills" needs to pull their head out of their Guardian-lined bucket of sand and have a good look around them.

ND. Most definitely NOT posting as a Moderator
Accident causation figures. - SR
If drivers can't keep their speed below a certain figure without staring at their speedometer they shouldn't be on the roads.

If it's such a problem for them, instead of aiming to drive at 30 they could always try 29, 28 or any of the other numbers...

Don't think there's any surprise in the causation figures - the common factor is the number of accidents caused by drivers, and until they start taking some responsibility for their own actions instead of blaming someone/something else there's always going to be the temptation for increased legislation.

Ironic how the only time you see the phrase "speed kills" these days is when it's quoted by pro-speeding campaigners.....
Accident causation figures. - matt35 {P}
Some time in the far away future, the driving test and subsequent training, will be to standards around the level of the current IAM training and test?

Matt35

PS - 8-45 am - a bit early to be dreaming!
You have a good point there Matt. Driver behaviour is the problem, so better driving training will help.

Where it falls down is that the current low levels of training aren't adequately enforced. Better to get that addressed first, methinks.
If drivers can't keep their speed below a certain figure without
staring at their speedometer they shouldn't be on the roads.

Couldn't agree more. The issue is of accuracy. Try a car with a digital speedo and see for yourself how speed naturally varies with inclination, wind, etc etc. Then go to Northamptonshire and get caught at 31mph.
If it's such a problem for them, instead of aiming to
drive at 30 they could always try 29, 28 or any
of the other numbers...

OK. Aim at 28. No problem. Just mind the hill & the sudden tailwind. Next time, learn from experience and aim for 26. Where do you stop? Eventually we are at a point where people are afraid to drive at legal speeds for fear of an unforgiving enforcement system whose penalties are (in this area) disproportionate.
Don't think there's any surprise in the causation figures - the
common factor is the number of accidents caused by drivers, and
until they start taking some responsibility for their own actions instead
of blaming someone/something else there's always going to be the temptation
for increased legislation.

So why is 100% of the enforcement effort directed at 12.5% of the accidents? What about the other 87.5%? Surely we can make better progress directing our efforts at those, which form part of the common thread of "not really paying attention" that underlines all 100%. But this would require driver education and traffic police, which (a) do not raise revenue and (b) have been largely displaced by cameras over recent years.
Ironic how the only time you see the phrase "speed kills"
these days is when it's quoted by pro-speeding campaigners.....

Speak for yourself. I see it often enough.

Please do not characterise me as "pro-speeding", though, as this would be inaccurate. I regard excessive speed for the circumstances as reprehensible and worthy of sanction. I also believe that speed limits should be set sensibly, and take the view that whilst most are set correctly, some are not. Most of those that are not correct are too low, although some are too high. I also believe that the rules for placement of speed cameras can, ironically, be used to justify placement at areas where the speed limit is too low.

My personal experience is that (a) whilst some cameras are justified and have alerted me to potential danger ahead, some are not and are are only explicable as money-raisers and (b) that since the introduction of speed cameras, the standard of road safety in this country has declined. As I have said before, I fel less safe now than I did ten years ago.
Accident causation figures. - volvoman
Patently - as I understand them, the figures don't state that 12.5% of accidents are caused by speeding, just that speeding is a contributing factor in 12.5% of them. How major a contributing factor isn't clear from what I've read.
Accident causation figures. - SR
Patently,

Just getting back to you....

I don't accept that having a slight wind behind you (pardon the phrase!) or going slightly downhill is a valid excuse for speeding. There are brakes and lower gears after all. I do not, however, agree with prosecuting at 31mph, and most areas I know that is not the policy - I presume you have experience of this and they're not just local urban myths?

If you can come up with a way of detecting a driver "not paying attention" before an accident occurs, and without having a police patrol every 200 yards, you will make your fortune. I remember in the pre-cameras era people complained about how many police traffic patrols there were, and said they should concentrate on getting them on the streets to deal with muggers. Hence the use of available technology to reduce required manpower.

I agree we should direct "our efforts" at other causes, but the option is open to drivers to take responsibility for this and increase their standards by themselves, and most choose not to. It is a fact that 100% of accidents will be made worse by higher speed - the cause might not be attributable, but the consequences in terms of damage, injury and death might. Also, as far as I remember, even when tickets were issue by humans rather than machines, they still cost money, so they still raised revenue.

I'd like to see any recent examples of "speed kills" being used - maybe this is another thing unique to Northamptonshire?

I did not characterise you as pro-speeding, but if you take "speeding" to mean the offence of breaking the speed limit, aren't you? People seem to think they automatically know best what is a safe speed and what isn't but is it not possible that there may be factors not immediately obious to the driver - after all, if drivers were so perfcet in their judgement we wouldn't have so many accidents, would we?

I agree about setting realistic speed limits, but then there would be no excuse for breaking them - and people would still want to be allowed to go a bit over. The role of cameras was not orignally intended to be an indication of an accident blackspot, but to be a deterrent to speeding. This role has been diluted by political (in)action. Warning signs and lowered speed limits should be enough for drivers to slow down - they should not need to be forced to do so by a camera.

Driving standards have indeed declined, but this is not the fault of cameras. It is the fault of drivers - no-one and nothing else.
SR,

I think we are actually of very similar minds. I too regard being significantly over the speed limit as reprehensible on virtually all non-motorway roads. Excessive speed for the circumstances is always reprehensible.

I accept that you didn't characterise me as pro-speeding - I was trying to pre-empt this to explain that my views on speed enforcment did not flow from a desire to drive fast regardless.

I don't have experience of 31mph prosecution - in fact my license is clean [as of today ;-) ]. It however widely reported that this is the case, which is enough to divert attention from the road around the driver to the speedo instead - just as the driver approaches a blackspot.

Brundstrom said that in his opinion there is no difference between allowing your speed to drift over 30 and allowing a knife to drift into someone. I think that there is a world of difference, in the intention and mens rea of the offender. This highlights the problem, though - that speeding is enforced via a mechanical system that issues penalties for speed alone. I feel that a police patrol could distinguish in the grey area between "mere" speeding and excessive speed liable to cause danger and issue an appropriate penalty, either a stiff talking to or a prosecution.

There is no linkage today between severity of the offence and severity of the punishment at the middle/lower end of speeding offences. You jump straight from legal behaviour to a penalty suited to the middle range.

In the end, the accident statistics have not improved since we started to rely on cameras. That was their purpose - to make us safer. They have failed to do so.
Accident causation figures. - NowWheels
In the end, the accident statistics have not improved since we
started to rely on cameras. That was their purpose -
to make us safer. They have failed to do so.

patently, that may be partly because their effects have been localised by making the cameras visible. That has effectively been a signal to drivers that they only need to obey the limits where a camera is signed :(

However, as far I have seen, cameras have been successful in reducing accidents in the areas where they are installed (see, for example, the instance of my local road referred to in my other post at tinyurl.com/2u3wu )

Another reason may be the parallel problem of a reduction in other types of traffic policing -- which I agree with others is a bad thing. Cameras should have been an extra tool in policing the roads, not the only one.

Yet another reason may be the increase in traffic densities.

A further factor may be the increasing performance of modern cars, and their greater safety in the event of an accident -- there is plenty of evidence that drivers tend to drive up to their perceived safety limit.
Can't access the full report but it does surprise me somewhat. Certainly there's plenty of just plain dangerous driving about and I'd love to see the police crack down on it just as hard as they do on speeding. However, does the report mention what part excess speed plays in determining the severity of accidents and liklihood of fatalities for example? Does it draw any conclusions as to whether excess speed is a contributory factor in the outcomes of accidents as opposed to the actual cause of incidents? How many accidents are caused, say, by inattention and compounded by the fact that those caught up in the aftermath are driving too fast? Over the years I've seen quite a bit of footage of motorway accidents in which a relatively minor error by one driver causes a massive pile up because those behind could not slow down in time.
Accident causation figures. - owen
Surely though that would be caused mainly by inattention, and driving to close? I appreciate your point, but again in that scenario speed is way down the list of causative factors.

It is true however, that those accidents caused by speeding are far more likely to have more serious injury outcomes.
Accident causation figures. - BazzaBear {P}
Over the
years I've seen quite a bit of footage of motorway accidents
in which a relatively minor error by one driver causes a
massive pile up because those behind could not slow down in
time.

From what I see on the motorways, that's not generally caused by excessive speed either, it's more due to the ridiculously small distances that the majority of people think are acceptable braking areas.
From what I see on the motorways, that's not generally caused
by excessive speed either, it's more due to the ridiculously small
distances that the majority of people think are acceptable braking areas.

Don't worry, someone will be along in a minute to explain that the braking distances are fine, it's just the speed that's excessive (If we all drive on M-ways 20mph, the typical braking distance is spot-on).
Speed is the cause of every single accident. If all the cars involved had been stationary prior to the accident then there would have been no accident. Thus without speed there would have been no accident. Therefore speed causes all accidents. QED.

Alternative view:

70mph is capable of being safe on a motorway if all involved drive sensibly, including keeping their distance.

70mph is without doubt unsafe when going past a primary school at 8:55am on a weekday.

Therefore the safety of a specific speed is dependent on the circumstances and matters are not as simple as they might be painted. Safety is therefore a function of driver ability and awareness.

So, to improve safety, improve driver ability & awareness. Except that we don't. And our accident statistics are worsening after decades of improvement prior to the introduction of speed cameras. Oops.
Yes that may be true Patently but without knowing what the accident figures would have been had cameras not been introduced (everything else also being equal) you can't draw any safe conclusions. As you've said there are many other factors which contribute to the number of accidents on our roads and personaly I feel speed cameras are very low down on the list. Some people, for example, claim cameras cause rapid braking and hence accidents but surely in such a set of circumstances it's not the camera which is to blame it's the driver slowing down because he's either going too fast or not paying attention. Likewise anyone who runs into the resulting wreckage.
The problem is that there is very rarely a controlled environment in which to test these things. Usually, cameras are erected following a local rise in the accident rate. This often (and quite rightly) also prompts engineering changes to the road. So when the local accident rate falls we can't tell if this is because of the camera, the engineering work, or just a statistical return to the mean.

In the absence of a controllable study, common sense is all you have to go on.

A further concern is that speed cameras are seen as an inherently unfair system by much of the population (myself not included - my view is more qualified). This has (IMHO) led to a general decline in respect for motoring law, the vast majority of which is fair and essential for our safety.

What we do know is that UK road casualties were on a steady downward trend until road safety policy was shifted to rely on speed cameras. Despite fining nearly 2% of the population last year, that decline has now halted. As cars have steadily improved since then, you would expect a continued background decline.

We are getting something wrong in this country.
Accident causation figures. - teabelly
I can't find the reference but I read recently that if 2% of the population wish to break a particular law then that law becomes unenforceable. I think the research was from america. If nearly 2% of the driving population were fined last year then we've almost reached that threshold.

The continued lack of a downward trend in casualties is a concern. The beginning of speed cameras coincided with the wider use of airbags, removal of free eye tests and reduction of traffic police numbers. I would also add that the increase in illegal drivers could have a lot to do with it (why can you buy a car in this country without providing id and a valid driving licence?!)

teabelly
Yeah Bazza, you've made my point about how these figures have been arrived at - you could argue that driving too close was the cause or that driving too fast in the conditions was the cause or indeed, that the drivers behind weren't paying sufficient attention to what was going on in front of them. Surely, in anything other than say a low speed minor rear end shunt at a junction, the reason for the accident and the severity of the outcome are likely to be due to different factors.
A fair point, volvoman, but it leads to the blanket reduction in speeds of all drivers to compensate for those who can't/won't pay attention.

The other side of the coin is that high speed roads such as motorways require higher levels of attention and anticipation. We should try to get that message across and ban those who show that they cannot.

Minor accidents are not pursued (I speak from experience!). If they were, and if points were imposed, then those who were incapable of paying attention would eventually be off the road.
I should add that, in the case of the motorway pile up mentioned above, the initial cause may well be deemed to be inattention but what conclusions would/could be drawn about the role of the other drivers involved and the final outcome. Who would determine whether for example driving too fast, driving too close, inattention or whatever on the part of any or all of the other drivers was the primary reason why what started as a minor incident became a pile up?
Accident causation figures. - Sooty Tailpipes
How many of these accisents caused by excessive speed were caused by gross speeders driving cars (probably stolen) with no proper documentation, probably banned already etc... being chased by a helicopter at night. I live on a main road with a 40mph limit, very weekend night I would say there are at least 10 cars going past at 100mph, some being chased by Police cars. I find it deeply offensive that an honest motorist going to work at 31mph in a 30 mph zone is lumped in with some drug-crazed criminal going 100mph with no license, insurance, etc..
Accident causation figures. - commerdriver
I think we've had this asked before but has anyone on the backroom actually been done for 31 in a 30 or whatever? None of us constantly look at the speedo to make the difference between 31 and 30. Most people I know of who have been done for speeding were at least 8 or 9 mph over the limit.
Accidents are caused by someone's bad driving and 40mph in a 30 is usually (not always - location time of day etc) one example of bad driving.
I haven't, and those who I know were at least 35. This includes on at 38 at 4am (on the way to an airport) on a major trnk road that switched between 30 and 40 frequently.

I understand that Northamptonshire have stated that they will enforce at that level although I have not seen it myself.

Regardless of whether it is actually done, we know that it could be done and therefore feel the need to watch for the difference. I certainly watch tbe speedo when going past a camera. Thus the harm is done.
Accident causation figures. - A Dent{P}
·Inattention 25.8%
* Failure to judge other person's path or speed 22.6%
* Looked but did not see 19.7%
* Behaviour: careless/thoughtless/reckless 18.4%
* Failed to look 16.3%
* Lack of judgement of own path 13.7%
* Excessive speed 12.5%

The original post gave the figures above from the report.

These figures stack up to 129%. They should not be taken as a breakdown of all accidents There are two headings,

Preciptating Factors (amounting to 100.1%)

Contributory Factors
I gave up here, just the personal details added up to 133.3% .
I think the percentages are meaningless, the findings are probably more important.
The reason the individual percentages add up to more than 100% is surely because in some/many accidents more than one of the factors listed is involved. As I see it the figures simply show the proportion of accidents in which each of the factors listed was found to be a cause, NOT the only cause.

Also, what sort of accidents were included in the study? All reported accidents or just serious accidents involving say personal injuries or fatalities. Surely this must be known if we are to be able to draw any meaningful conclusions about how serious a factor each of the categories is.
Accident causation figures. - frostbite
I don't doubt that the aforementioned auto-illuuminating signs could be effective, but the only ones I have encountered, a few miles from where I live, are nothing but hilarious.

Approaching from either direction at any speed (they illuminate for slow-moving bicycles) they advise 'slow down' with a graphic showing a right-hand bend. This is correct in either direction because you are in fact approaching a Z bend! Right, followed by left. Both of which can comfortably be taken at the 30mph limit on that road.

What a waste of technology.
Accident causation figures. - Altea Ego
auto-illuuminating signs

I like them, it gives you a sense of achievement to get them lit up.
Well spotted! (watching your posts carefully now)
Take no notice RF, I was so embarrassed at the typo I missed the point you were actually making.
IIRC, there is also a max speed above which they don't respond. The reasoning is that this prevents them being used in this way. A more demanding target for you, RF?
Also, what sort of accidents were included in the study?
All reported accidents or just serious accidents involving say personal injuries
or fatalities. Surely this must be known if we are to
be able to draw any meaningful conclusions about how serious a
factor each of the categories is.

Volvolman, I agree -- this seems to me to be the crucial question. My guess is that the vast majority of accidents are the sort of low-speed bumps which happen when parking or in heavy traffic. They can easily cost a few hundred to repair, and tend to be recorded for insurance purposes, but in terms of risk to people rather than to wallets, they aren't too important.

To my mind, the accidents which really matter are those where people are injured or even killed. Speed is much more likely to figure highly as a factor in those cases: witness my local road where limit was reduced from 30 to 40, and cameras installed. We had six deaths and 30 injuries in two years ... and then in the 18 months after the cameras were installed, 6 injuries and no deaths.

I take people's points about the difficulties of driving precisely within the limits ... but that only applies if you are driving at the maximum legal speed. As with anything else, leave a margin for error, and you're OK.

However, technology could help: some manufacturers (Citroen??) already have a gadget which warns you if you exceed a user-set speed, and the same technology which provides cruise control could be used to provide a driver-controlled speed limiter.

If people really wanted to obey the limits, wouldn't they be insisting on having some of these gadgets fitted to new cars as a higher priority than (for example) shiny alloy wheels?
Accident causation figures. - Chuffer Dandridge
>>However, technology could help: some manufacturers(Citroen??)>> already have a gadget which warns you if you exceed a user->> set speed, and the same technology which provides cruise >> control could be used to provide a driver-controlled speed >> limiter.
If people really wanted to obey the limits, wouldn't they be >> insisting on having some of these gadgets fitted to new cars >> as a higher priority than (for example) shiny alloy wheels?

I suspect the majority view is that speed limits are an inconvenience, and because their own driving is of an excellent standard they can make their own judgement as to what speed is safe.

The devices suggested above would seem to me to be an excellent idea, it would make it easier for drivers to adhere to the limit, and avoid accidents, fines and driving bans. To my knowledge there is no such device on the market. Conversly there are a number of devices which warn of speed cameras and radar. So the market is evidently for devices which enable drivers to speed without being detected, rather than to help them drive within the speed limits.
Accident causation figures. - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Went through a few of the light up signs last weekend and they lit up when I was spot on the limit according to the speedo.Tho mph under according to RoadAngel.
A sign in Derbyshire flashes to warn of a blind summit- however only when you are right alongside it!

I wasna fu but just had plenty.
The devices suggested above would seem to me to be an
excellent idea, it would make it easier for drivers to adhere
to the limit, and avoid accidents, fines and driving bans. To
my knowledge there is no such device on the market. Conversly
there are a number of devices which warn of speed cameras
and radar. So the market is evidently for devices which enable
drivers to speed without being detected, rather than to help them
drive within the speed limits.

HJ'd road test of the Citroen C2 includes a description of warning gadget: tinyurl.com/3ee7r

"...on the dash there's a convenient button that allows you to set a speed warning. Exceed the pre-set speed and you get beeped. So no excuses and no need to constantly watch the speed rather than the road when driving through a restricted area"

Since other manufacturers don't seem to be rushing to follow, I guess you are right that drivers prefer gadgets to evade detection :(
Accident causation figures. - paulb {P}
HJ'd road test of the Citroen C2 includes a description of
warning gadget: tinyurl.com/3ee7r
"...on the dash there's a convenient button that allows you to
set a speed warning. Exceed the pre-set speed and you get
beeped. So no excuses and no need to constantly watch the
speed rather than the road when driving through a restricted area"
Since other manufacturers don't seem to be rushing to follow, I
guess you are right that drivers prefer gadgets to evade detection
:(

Fiat Stilo has this too (seems to be standard kit on all models). Can be set from anything from 20 mph to 155 mph (!) in 5 mph increments. And you can set the beep volume at levels ranging from "Ahem" to "OI!". Of course, human nature being what it is, the obvious temptation to the ill-behaved is to set it to somewhere in excess of the car's maximum speed, so that it never goes off. Nice idea, though.