What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I have a question Volume 36 - Dynamic Dave

******* Thread now closed, please see volume 37 ********

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=20819

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No Questions About PC\'s. They now go in another Thread.
No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 36. Previous Volumes will not be deleted,

A list of previous volumes can be found here:-
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18847

Seleco SVT150 projector tv - user manual - Civic8
Seleco SVT150 projector tv.no idea of age but anyone know where I can get a user manual for one.Cant find one anywhere tried man/site no joy.it isnt mine but a mate has just bought one which was fully working when bought but knocked it so the focus/tuning has to be done.
Thanks for any help.
Seleco SVT150 projector tv - user manual - Kuang
Couldn't find a great deal of info, but it might be worth bookmarking this site and checking back later..

www.crtcinema.com/manuals.html
Seleco SVT150 projector tv - user manual - Civic8
Thanks for that.will keep an eye on it
Advice from moderator(s)! - malteser
My wife & I have been asked if we would be prepared to moderate a forum connected with our love of Clarice Cliff art deco pottery.
I do not expect that it will be so busy as this forum, but we would welcome advice about the likely time and hassle involved.

Thanks.
Roger.
Advice from moderator(s)! - smokie
I moderate a Le Mans motor race forum - more of a social forum that about racing. Although it is more relaxed than here in terms of what is allowed, we still try to maintain a reasonably dignifed discussion. There are a hard core (15 - 20) of very regular contributors, who know how far they can go, then quite a number of weekly/fortnightly visitors, then the occassional "newbie".

I could do my job there in about 5 minutes or less a day, but I have personally found moderating has increased my interest and also my social circle when going motor racing, so am happy to spend more time than that in the forum.
Advice from moderator(s)! - No Do$h
I guess it depends on the level of interest and number of posts you get each day. Certainly you need to consider that only one post a day can be a nightmare if it's the "wrong" post and you don't see it until all and sundry have read it.

The actual editting side of moderating takes very little time in the overall scheme of things, but the constant monitoring of every new post can be quite demanding if you want to ensure that any transgressions are promptly dealt with (after all, that's the point of moderating; stopping the site falling into disrepute by limiting exposure to harmful posts)

Between the three of us on this site there is pretty much 20 hours of coverage per day, although the actual amount of time we spend actively looking at posts is much less than that.

Let us know how it goes.
Advice from moderator(s)! - patently
Between the three of us on this site there is pretty
much 20 hours of coverage per day

Which are the other 4 hours? ;-))
Advice from moderator(s)! - patently
And is my account still active?
Oooh yes, very droll.

As you may have noted there is no time of day that you can consider yourself safe. [cue evil laughter]

I am an insomniac by nature, as is DD, and Mark has been known to rise at an unearthly hour. All three of us have been known to post at 4:00am from time to time.

:o)
No Dosh
mailto:Alan_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk
Advice from moderator(s)! - Mark (RLBS)
>>And is my account still active?

Fortunately you chose one of the four hours when we weren\'t watching !!

With regard to the original query;

It depends how you want it run, how you want it to appear and what type of people you attract.

Here we wish no bad language, no politics, no rows, no insults, etc. etc. etc. That is because we believe that it gives us the profile of a chatroom that we want. We avoid becoming a single issue site, which is always a danger with motoring, particularly with speeding. However, we do want to be Motoring oriented. Think long and hard before letting someone go off-subject.

You will always get the occasional prat who thinks it is hilarious to post trash, and frequently offensive trash. But fortunately that are few and far between, which is just as well because they can take a lot of time.

The actual moderating is, as No Dosh said, usually not particularly time-consuming. However, the reading and checking of everything is. Here it is much more important that we are available across as much of the day as is possible, rather than actually spending a great deal of time in here at any one go.

You shouldn\'t do it for the popularity, there isn\'t any involved. Whatever you do, whatever decision you make, you will receive a spate of e-mails about.

For every one fervently disagreeing with you, there is another thanking you for doing it - there is quite a vocal we-hate-mark\'s-moderating crowd around, usually from the safety of other chatrooms, but I\'ve yet to see an issue where the complaints and compliments were unbalanced. You have to avoid being swayed by opinions and stick with what you think is right; and certainly you have to avoid the whiners & moaners, they aren\'t worth the effort.

Some of the complaints are silly - people complaining that they aren\'t allowed to swear for example. However, for the most part you do need to consider each complaint. You might have missed something, you might have misunderstood something, or you may not have realised that something was offensive - and other than the sad little people who typically whine about the same things repeatedly, most people are telling you something that genuinely bothers them, even if it is not reasonable that it should do so.

People can\'t draw their own lines. Someone wishes to use a mild swear word. You stop them and they think its outrageous. However, if you allowed it then someone would use a worse word that they didn\'t think offensive, and so on.

You need to have a thick skin. We have some saddos who send me abusive mails, some twerps who sign me up for stuff, and a whole bunch of frustrated little people who content themselves with incessant whinging, petty insults or simply making life difficult in silly little ways. And they all believe themselves to be beyond reproach and totally correct.

You\'ll also find people who are quite sure that your chatroom will die if they leave, and frequently say so. Those are the ones you need to leave. The good ones often do not complain, they simply leave.

Faces come and faces go, and that\'s a good thing. Whilst you very much need regulars, you need a constant flow through of other people as well to keep it fresh. Don\'t become complacent with your membership levels or it can become stagnant and \"cliquey\" very quickly. Make sure that you take steps to always have new faces showing up.

I don\'t know about pottery, but I\'d guess that unlike motoring where *everybody* has an opinion, its likely to attract a smaller cross section audience. You aren\'t likely to attract the drunk, challenged kids on a Friday night in the same way that we do, for example. I would expect this to mean that you had much less hassle across the board.

People can take chatrooms and the things said in them far *too* seriously. It is, after all, only a chatroom.

You will have to deal with all these things. However, don\'t let me darken it for you too much. By far and away the vast majority of people we get in here are welcome, behave well, are supportive, follow the spirit of the rules as well as the letter and frequently offer to lend a hand. Most of them are people who know things or have experiences that the others do not - I personally learn a great deal of things here, a surprising amount not related to motoring.

I would miss many of the people in here if they didn\'t show up, even if they only do it infrequently.

A couple of Smokie\'s comments ring very true, particularly around it expanding my own level and scope of interest.

And finally, you will get it wrong sometimes. We all do*. Don\'t worry about it too much, just be ready for it next time.

(* As if to prove the point, Mark is wrong in stating that we sometimes get it wrong. We are never wrong.... Oh, hang on, that\'s got the logic circuits baffled. ND)

Advice from moderator(s)! - Mapmaker
Moderating Clarice Cliff pottery is unlikely to lead to slanging matches and swearing, imho!

Maybe, maybe pot. Er, not.

Someone's gone to get my coat. ND
Advice from moderator(s)! - Dynamic Dave
The actual moderating is, as No Dosh said, usually not
particularly time-consuming. However, the reading and
checking of everything is.

Hangs head in shame. I somehow missed Malteser\'s question on moderating advice. Just goes to show that you need more than one moderator to spot everything that goes on around here.
Advice from moderator(s)! - malteser
A big "Thank You" to all you Mods who took the time to reply to my question. Much appreciated!
You would, perhaps, be surprised at the passion generated by "pots"! The value of some art deco pottery is so high these days, (a particularly desirable shape/design tea set in Clarice Cliff can cost serious money) - more than the price of many a new car. ( Motoring related!)
There is a real problem with fakes being made and sold on eBay and other auctions and some vendors get, shall we say, upset at being "outed", so I guess it wouldn't be all sweetnes and light!
WE shall see.
Roger.
Selling Shares - Robin
I need to sell some shares in the next month or so. I've never done this before. Can anyone suggest a cheap way of doing this? I've already talked to my bank and they are talking about £80 a deal. Seeing that some of the shares are worth about £1500, this seems a lot.

Cheers

Robin
Selling Shares - Wilco {P}
Robin

Have a look at -

www.find.co.uk/investments/Online_Share_Dealing/

check carefully for hidden costs in addition to any "headline" grabbing offers.

Selling Shares - Dalglish
I've already talked to my bank and they are talking about £80
a deal

robin
that is a lot.

assumption that you have certificated shares.
you should be able to find brokers who deal for £20 or so flat fee for certificates upto value £10,000.

hsbc, natwest and barclays used to have a low-cost instant walk-in certificated-shares selling services for customers and non-customers.
halifax-hbos may also have this thru their brances.

otherwise as per the online dealing link, look at the other tabs
www.find.co.uk/investments/Online_Sharedealing_Com.../
www.find.co.uk/Top10/Online_Brokers_Top_10/

and search for the dealer/broker who offers facility to sell certificated shares.

many may require you to register and send in certificates to be register nominee accounts and then sell by online instructions or by telephone instructions.

they may sell certificates but impose a surcharge for that.
Selling Shares - Robin
Thanks for the replies - plenty to look at. Actually, it was HBOS who were quoting me up to £80 a deal.
Selling Shares - billy25
i have always used HARGREAVE-HALE of blackpool, they are brokers, and they can sell instantly over the telephone whilst you are talking to them. they charge 0.5% (or used to!)per transaction. fast efficient service imho. only trouble i found when dealing through a bank according to a friend, is that they only carry out transactions on certain days of month, he lost quite a bit through this, the price he thought he had sold at, wasn't the price on the day they were sold!

billy.
Selling Shares - Dalglish
Thanks for the replies - plenty to look at. Actually, it
was HBOS who were quoting me up to £80 a deal.

robin
their web site

www.halifax.co.uk/sharedealing/charges.shtml

quotes £85 for deals of certificates via telephone valued at £10,000 to £60,000.

for certificate deals via telephone upto £2500 they ask just £25 !

Selling Shares - Mark (RLBS)
I have a question...

eMBe & Dalglish,

It appears to me that you are the same person. If so, why the pretence ?

Just wondered.

Mark.
How to pick a solicitor - Robin
I have just had an offer accepted for a house in North Yorkshire. I currently have a house in Gloucester. Obviously I will need a solicitor/conveyancer for both the sale and purchase. There is a good solicitor I have used before in Gloucester. Is it better to use a local solicitor when buying a house or does it not matter? My instinct is that a local firm would be better - local knowledge, contacts in the land registry for the searches etc.

What does anyone else think?
How to pick a solicitor - helicopter
Robin - if possible use a solicitor you know who is local so that when all those last minute problems arise you can go there and grasp them firmly by the throat and give them a good talking to. IMO you get what you pay for and I found my solicitors were as competitive as the conveyancing shops.

I recently bought in Sussex and sold in Surrey.

My solicitor is local to me in Sussex , my purchaser also in Surrey used an internet conveyancing crowd from Nottingham and the Vendors in Sussex had their solicitors in Torquay!

Having said that I can recommend a firm in Gloucester called Rowberry Morris.

I have no idea what they are like on conveyancing but three years ago I went on holiday in Kefalonia and had a nightmare with building work. As a result of derisory offers of compensation a group of us who were there started a joint action and we used Rowberry Morris because on the same holiday were the parents of one of their solicitors , a very efficient lady called Tracey Ashford who got us substantial compensation.

Phone Number 01452 301903.

How to pick a solicitor - Hugo {P}
If you're looking in North Yorkshire, I would contact a number of estate agents in the area to see who they recommend. Also find out which solicitor is being used by the seller, and ask opinions about them.

If the same name keeps cropping up on a regular basis - you may be onto something.

All this is great IF the sellers solicitor is competent - don't even get me started on these stories!

Good luck
How to pick a solicitor - Pugugly {P}
Might be worth asking the local brief if he can recommend someone in the other area. (a) It'll be in his interest to get a decent one sp that htings move quickly and (b)Solicitors tend to have an extensive network because nobody else will be friends with us.
How to pick a solicitor - THe Growler
Which leads me to another question: I am trying to sell a house near Boston (Lincs) I bought 6 years ago. The solicitor who handled my end of the buy is based in Brighton, and I used him for no other reason than I used him before to sell another place I had in Sussex.

Presumably since he did all the search stuff etc and will have all this on file (as well as holding the title papers on my behalf) it will make good sense to use him for the sale this time around even though he's a long way from the place itself?

How to pick a solicitor - Pugugly {P}
Yes it would seem to make sense. However he should have handed you copies of all the paperwork (if not the originals. Our property side tends to make sure that stuff is copied and sent out to the clients. The basis of this is that people pay us quite a bit of money and its only fair for them to have something tangible for that cost.
How to pick a solicitor - L'escargot
Be very wary of solicitors engaged by your estate agent as part of the selling package.

When I moved house recently, my vendors used their estate agent's solicitor and it turned out that that particular firm employed 55 people doing conveyancing! The particular person allocated to their case was absolutely useless. My vendors were tearing their hair out in frustation and ended up asking me for advice because they came to the conclusion that I knew more about conveyancing than their appointed solicitor!
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
A question for a gardener in the know - alan kearn
I am going to buy a Wilkinson Sword tree lopper and their are these two types, ANVIL and BYPASS could someone tell me which is the best and why.

Thanks
Alan
A question for a gardener in the know - frostbite
I'm far from a gardener in the know but I would guess that anvil is where the single blade cuts against a solid bar and bypass is two blades in scissor fashion.

I would personally choose anvil (if I have it correct) because the scissor variety can easily twist or break if you're too enthusiastic.
A question for a gardener in the know - Mapmaker
Bypass every time. When you prune a (e.g.) rose, an anvil will crush the stem, as well as cut it. Bypass will give you a much cleaner cut. The anvil will therefore promote a damaged area where disease can catch hold much more easily.

Bypass are easier to sharpen. You'll also find they're more expensive, so like a BMW, must be better...

Anyway, that's what any gardening book will tell you.
A question for a gardener in the know - L'escargot
I am going to buy a Wilkinson Sword tree lopper and
their are these two types, ANVIL and BYPASS could someone tell
me which is the best and why.
Thanks
Alan

My ultimate solution to this dilemma was to have the tree felled!

No more blocking out of the sunlight, no more leaves to have to be swept up, no more having to unblock the gutters and the downpipe, no more having to keep digging up the seedlings etc etc. (It was a 35 foot high, 19 inch diameter trunk, sycamore ~ good riddance to bad rubbish!)
--
A question for a gardener in the know - No Do$h
The answer is.....

It depends. But I err on the side of a good pair of bypass loppers for live trees and use anvil ones only for cutting stuff up once it's on the ground. Makes it easier to feed it through the shredder and compost it.

Bypass will give a much cleaner cut but by their nature are less capable with larger branches. Using an anvil cutter will need to be followed up with an application of a suitable barrier to stop disease entering as they tend to rip the bark. With the smaller, cleaner cuts the tree tends to be self healing (although watch it with plum trees, they love picking up diseases when pruned.

I haven't found any problems using my WS bypass lopper on my (many) apple and plum trees. The secret is to secure the base of the pole against your thigh and try and make one clean go of the cut. A lot of these loppers allow you to attache a pruning saw so if you do encounter a "toughy" you can always resort to the saw. If it gets really tough, out comes Mr Chainsaw. Brrrrrum bub-bub-bub-bub-bub......

What sort of trees are you pruning and is it for decorative or practical reasons?

(Mrs ND is currently doing a N Dip in Horticulture and keeps involving me in her knowledge, dagnabbit!)
Fitting an additional 13-amp socket - L'escargot
I?m proposing to fit an additional 13-amp socket, as a spur off the ring main. The connection of the wiring to the new socket would be made via an existing junction box in the loft. Is it possible to (easily) check (after the installation of the socket) that the ring main is still intact and that current flows in both directions round the ring? I suspect that most DIYers don?t even think about this aspect. If it?s going to be difficult or expensive I might even put it to the back of my mind myself. In any case, I suppose that I couldn?t be absolutely certain that the ring is intact now ~ in fact does any householder, unless they have recently had it professionally checked? If I had it checked professionally, it would partly defeat the (money saving) object of fitting the socket myself. What?s the answer, please? At the moment I only have the basic equipment of an ?electrician?s screwdriver?, a multimeter, and a plug-in device that indicates whether a particular socket is correctly wired.

--
Fitting an additional 13-amp socket - wemyss
Firstly are you absolutely sure that the junction box in your roof space is the 30A ring main and not off the lighting circuit?. I ask this because normally the main 30A circuit runs from S/O to S/O and does not usually go up into the roof space.
If you are sure this is correct the junction box is likely to have been fitted at a later stage for exactly the same reason as yourself and that is to take a spur off the ring main.
Regarding your concern if the ring is correct it would be difficult for it not to be. In the junction box you will find all the live wires (red) connected together and the same for the neutrals (black).
In a S/O you will of course find the same and there are only 3 connection points for incoming cables L.N.E. and it would be difficult to interrupt the circuit even if one tried.
To test for continuity you would have to disconnect the 2.5 outgoing cables from the consumer unit and use the continuity tester on your multimeter to verify this. But I think you should have no concerns about the ring main not being intact as it would take a determined effort by someone for it not to be so.
Earlier editions of the IEE regs limited the number of spurs off a ring main but I recall the 17th edition removed this restriction.
If the junction box is definitely a mains power one check the number of cables going in which will be three if it is being used for a spur. You may find insufficient physical space for another cable in which case you would use another junction box alongside.

Fitting an additional 13-amp socket - keo-the-dog
spurs are still limited to one spur per socket in basic terms ie if you have ten sockets or twin sockets then in theory you could have ten spurs but you cant have a spur from another spur and you cant spur from the cooker output, but i agree ring mains in roof space sounds wrong to me is roof space insulated because if it is you start to bring even more regulations into play which is why i am inclined to agree probably lighting wiring . also if your wiring is new it could be brown live blue neutral not seen very often yet but it is starting to come in as it is the european standard you can still use red and black legally and most people still do but check and if in doubt get a qualified electrician it wont cost that much
cheers ...keo...
Fitting an additional 13-amp socket - L'escargot
Thanks keo and alvin.

It's definitely a 30-amp power ring main. I've traced one of the cables going down to a 13-amp socket and there was another cable coming up from the socket ~ or vice versa. Haven't traced the destination of the other two cables that are connected to the junction box yet, but I too suspect that one of them is a spur for an additional socket. The reason that it is possible to have the ring main going through the loft is that the property is a bungalow ~ sorry I didn't think to mention it. My concern about whether the ring was (and still would be after the modification) complete is that I don't know how you can tell other than by disconnecting at the consumer unit and carrying out a continuity test. And if you do that how do you then know that when you have remade the connection that one end of the ring isn't a bad connection into the consumer unit? I was expecting that someone might mention a device that will detect current without breaking into the circuit ~ I seem to recall seeing something that temporarily encircled a cable.
Perhaps I'm being too cautious.
--
Fitting an additional 13-amp socket - keo-the-dog
i seem to remember a device when iwas at college which was a plug with lights on it but have never seen one since but you can check continuity with power off at consumer unit but running one spur shouldn't be too dificult, cable going to socket - cable coming back from socket or on to next socket in ring and so on in theory you can break into that ring anywhere and take a feed for your required socket or break the ring to take a feed to socket and back to ring completing the ring try your local DIY store you know the one thats got two letters in its name they do very handy leaflets with diagrams or ask one of their people in store as they employ many retired tradesmen to give advice to customers
cheers...keo...
Fitting an additional 13-amp socket - Clanger
Let's be practical here. If your house has a working RCD and you are not going to plug in a cooker or some such in your new spur (i.e. it's for a lamp, computer or other low wattage appliance), I would just get on with it. Add up the total wattage of everything on the ring and ensure it's less than 7200 watts. Also ensure that no single appliance draws more than 3000 watts and that your plugs have appropraiate fuses in them.

Remember that power sockets that are part of the ring have 2 sets of wires connected while spurs have one set.

Good luck.

Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Fitting an additional 13-amp socket - jeds
The device keo-the-dog is referring to is a Martindale tester. About £10.00 from B&Q - Plug it into any socket and the lights indicate the status of the supply. Can't go wrong with it.
Moving to Aylesbury area - suggestions? - arnold2
Anyone know much about Aylesbury area - new job so new house ! Any good estate agents (I know, an oxymoron !) ?
Moving to Aylesbury area - suggestions? - Mark (RLBS)
I drive through Aylsebury every day and live out towards Bicester.

What do you want to know ? Why type of house, will you commute somewhere, new house, old house, town, village, etc. etc.

I presume that you are aware of the apparantly huge new housing development planned on either side of the Bicester Road out of Aylsebury ?
Moving to Aylesbury area - suggestions? - Wilco {P}
We looked in Aylesbury and surrounds before ending up north of Milton Keynes.

Villages and towns surrounding Aylesbury are, imo, nicer that Aylesbury itself. We looked at Wendover, Stoke Mandeville, Weston Turville which are all London side - good for commuting if you need it, and Chiltern railways have a good reputation for reliability.

For estate agents try Martin Kemp (no, not that one) and Wilkinson Partnership.
Solicitors and moving - HF
Sorry no knowledge of Aylesbury.

I have a question which relates to the above 'picking a solicitor' queries.

If I were to decide to move from one area to another, selling one property here and buying another elsewhere, would the same solicitor (ie one from around here I guess) be able to act for me in my purchase too? - because obviously they'd have no local knowledge of my new area. I certainly wouldn't want to employ two!
Forensic/ Chemistry student placements - Ppaul
I am doing a forensic science degree and am looking for forensic/chemistry/toxicology placements starting in september/august 2004, to do for my year in Industry. Does anyone know of any vacancies or companies, in the Cardiff or Newport area?
Music Lyrics - Help Please - NitroBurner
Does anyone recognise this line as the intro to a song?

"Do you still remember, how we used to be"

If we can get it, we have a chance of winning £50...

A virtual pint to anybody that can help - Cheers...
Music Lyrics - Help Please - Dynamic Dave
Viva Forever - Spice Girls. Thankyou google.
Music Lyrics - Help Please - NitroBurner
Cheers DD

We tried Google but with no success. You must have a misspent adulthood on the keyboard...

What's your tipple?
Music Lyrics - Help Please - Dynamic Dave
Cheers DD
We tried Google but with no success.

All I did was enter the wording into google and select uk. However, I suspect you didn't place the wording in quotation marks (inverted commas) - doing so forces google to search for that exact phrase.

www.google.co.uk/help/refinesearch.html
What's your tipple?

Lager, but I'd prefer it if you send me 50% of the winnings ;o)
Music Lyrics - Help Please - HF
>>Thankyou google.

Yeah yeah you can't fool us that easily D. Now pop that CD back into its box and listen to something else, for goodness sake. ;)))
NHS dentists - L'escargot
Dental practices currently accepting new NHS patients are few and far between here in Lincolnshire. Having recently moved house 80 miles, the best alternative I could come up with was 50 miles away and I have registered with them subject to the initial inspection that they require which is imminent.

However, I have now found a practice that has just re-opened its books and this dentist is only 8 miles away. (It appears that some dentists open and close their books to new NHS patients according to whether or not they have a backlog of work.) Would it be permissible (or ethical) for me to register with this third dentist and then just let the other two drop. It seems that registering with a dentist is not the same as registering with an NHS GP where you have to go through the NHS and be officially transferred ~ as far as I know, until I tell them otherwise I am still registered with my original (80 miles away) dentist.

--
NHS dentists - Clanger
Dentists are there to provide a service. If you prefer to travel 8 miles rather than 50, just register with the nearest dentist. Having just re-registered with a local dentist because the original (50 miles away) has retired, I am certain that they don't pass records around among themselves like doctors do.
Good luck (and only floss between those teeth you mean to keep).
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Anyone want to help with my homework? - PoloGirl
Yes...don't all faint in shock...I'm actually doing some work today!

I'm researching recruitment of adults to help with volunteer youth groups like the scouts, guides, after school clubs, sports groups etc and also recruitment of the actual members to those groups.

Firstly, if any of you currently volunteer with any group (not necessarily youth), I'm interested in how you picked the organisation (or if it picked you!), how you found out about it, where you looked for information, why you decided to volunteer and what you get out of it. All the usual questions really!

If you don't give your time to others for no fee, is it simply because you don't have the time or has the idea never occurred to you? Tough question this, but what would make being a volunteer more appealing to you, and how could it be brought into the awareness of people to whom it has never occurred.

Also, those of you that are parents....

With younger members, the "decision maker" is often the parents, as its you who pays the fees and acts as taxi driver!

So, I'm interested in your views on letting your children join groups like the ones mentioned above, your concerns and your opinions of them. When your child comes home announcing that he/she wants to join a group, what is your first reaction, where do you go for more information, what are your main questions?

Thanks in advance to everyone who responds. You can email me if you'd prefer... I've just reactivated moonpiggy1@hotmail.com so feel free to fill it with spam and useful comments!

Thanks

Anyone want to help with my homework? - frostbite
PG there was quite a lengthy item on this very subject on R4 'You & Yours' today - perhaps you can listen in to it on the 'net?
Rubbish straw poll - Dipstick
Along with the rest of the country, the council tax in Cambridgeshire went up significantly last year. The wound is salted by a new scheme imposed whereby rubbish is now picked up fortnightly instead of weekly. On alternate weeks a new green bin is taken, which is supposed to hold cardboard and garden waste, and then the black bin every other week.

In reality, this means that our household "black" rubbish now sits about for much longer, and that on occasion so much accumulates that there is too much for the black bin. They will not take more than one bin's worth. They will not provide an extra bin. They will not sell you an extra bin. When asked, the official response is that they would rather you drive to the skip(in my case a 16 mile round trip) with extra rubbish than take more from your house; I'm not sure how environmentally sound this is meant to be.

One of the reasons they say this has been done, other than saving money, is effectively "most other authorities in the country are doing this, it's the modern way, get used to it, tough".

At last, the question. Straw poll. Who else has this imposed on them, and where (just local authority is fine) are you?
Rubbish straw poll - Chas{P}
Just had this new system introduced in South Leicestershire where I live.

Agree - the black bin is full well before the two weeks is up. Seperating the rubbish is fairly easy but it's getting the kids and wife to do it!

Fortunately the council tip is not far away so excess rubbish can go there.

I totally agree with recycling in priciple but I think its Government initiatives that push the policy rather than the money recouped, if any, from the reprocessors of waste.

The net result is that the cost of all these recycling policies probably pushes Council Tax up not down IMO.
Rubbish straw poll - Altea Ego
Runnymead: 6% increase this year, 6% increase last year.

One BIG (and I mean big) wheeley bin, Dont care whats in it as long as the lid shuts. Emptied one a week, has to be *next the pavement* by 07:15 Mondays or they wont empty it.

Blue recycle box, Glass,paper,tins. Collected every two weeks

Rubbish straw poll - PhilW
I think our council (Charnwood, Leics) has just delayed the introduction of fortnightly wheelie bins (black and green) because of public protest and may now be about to test public opinion formally. At the moment we have weekly collected black bags and fortnightly collected green recycling bags (newspaper, tins, plastic bottles, no cardboard)
Mind you, the bin men forgot to leave a green bag this morning!
Daren't check my council tax increase!
Rubbish straw poll - Mapmaker
Lovely London. Southwark will take anything, as much as you want, whenever you want. (If you don't ask them to take it, just leave it on a main road, and it's gone within 24 hours.) Freezers? Certainly Sir. Cars (see thread)? Of course. 100 bags of garden waste? No problem.
Rubbish straw poll - Baskerville
Along with the rest of the country, the council tax in
Cambridgeshire went up significantly last year.

Not true. My CT is going up by 2%.
that there is too much for the black bin. They will
not take more than one bin's worth. They will not provide
an extra bin. They will not sell you an extra bin.

The idea is to make you think about how much waste you are producing. Landfill space is rapidly decreasing and they'd rather you composted vegetable waste, didn't use a lot of plastic bags, avoided products with unnecessary packaging, recycled glass and metals etc. If you do produce more than one bin load of actual waste, then you'll have to dispose of it at your own (in)convenience.

It seems to have had an effect. We had this imposed a couple of years ago and we rarely have more than one bag now, whereas it used to be two on a regular basis.

Rubbish straw poll - joe
We have had this for about 6 months in Breckland (Norfolk). The only way we can make it work is having regular bonfires in the back garden, taking all bottles to the bottle bank and composting what we can.

Ok in the winter, but am not looking forward to a hot summer and the attendant smells.
Rubbish straw poll - malteser
Why not fill your "green" bin with household rubbish and then put a layer of the correct filling on top? Reply | Report as offensive | Link
Rubbish straw poll - malteser
Our local taxes imposed by the town hall here in Spain are miniscule by comparison with the UK, yet they empty the bins every day!
Sounds to good to be true? Well, yes it is, the bins are located in the streets nearby and you have to take all your waste to them on a daily basis if you don't want your house/apartment to smell vile!
BTW our local "council tax " equivalent, which is based on the house's/flat's value, admittedly in our case for a one bedroom flat, was the princely sum of 240 euros (about £165) for TWO years!
Roger.
Rubbish straw poll - L'escargot
Along with the rest of the country, the council tax in
Cambridgeshire went up significantly last year. The wound is salted by
a new scheme imposed whereby rubbish is now picked up fortnightly
instead of weekly. On alternate weeks a new green bin is
taken, which is supposed to hold cardboard and garden waste, and
then the black bin every other week.
In reality, this means that our household "black" rubbish now sits
about for much longer, and that on occasion so much accumulates
that there is too much for the black bin. They will
not take more than one bin's worth. They will not provide
an extra bin. They will not sell you an extra bin.
When asked, the official response is that they would rather you
drive to the skip(in my case a 16 mile round trip)
with extra rubbish than take more from your house; I'm not
sure how environmentally sound this is meant to be.
One of the reasons they say this has been done, other
than saving money, is effectively "most other authorities in the country
are doing this, it's the modern way, get used to it,
tough".
At last, the question. Straw poll. Who else has this imposed
on them, and where (just local authority is fine) are you?

Lucky you!

We still have the archaic plastic bag system. The council provides only 60 bags per year, and when they're gone you buy your own. Most families use 5 or 6 bags a week. Garden refuse will only be taken if it is in a regulation green sack which you have to purchase from the council for 75p each. The nearest tip (landfill site) is 15 miles away.

The only consolation is that large domestic items which will not go in a plastic sack are collected free of charge by prior request. Mind you, the item has to be put out on the normal collection day, at they edge of your property (in my case on the grass verge), and the contractor then has 8 days to collect it before you can legitimately complain.
--
Rubbish straw poll - Mark (RLBS)
Please lets not step over from questions to general discussion.
Rubbish straw poll - SpamCan61 {P}
New Forest district council are still using the bin bag system, like l'escargot; no wheelie bins for us ....yet...
Rubbish straw poll - Soupytwist

Braintree in Essex.

We have the black bin one week, green bin the other system that you describe. In green bin weeks we are also supposed to put out a seperate bag for each of the following - tins, paper (inc. cardboard) and textiles.

Glass is not collected for recycling, you're supposed to take that to the various bottle banks dotted around. Upon our last trip to the bottle bank we noticed that there is also a recepticle for plastic bottles/containers and now we seperate them out as well. As we seem to get through quite a bit of milk this means that we can just about get two weeks rubbish into the black bin, but it's very close. We already have a compost heap where 'organic' waste goes.

I'd rather they collected the glass or plastic since one tends not to dispose of textiles on a regular basis.

Also, in my new house the garden needs some seeing to and as soon as they've emptied the green bin I've got a pile of stuff in the garden to fill it again. I can't be doing with having a bonfire of garden waste every week !

I am slightly concerned about the summer months and whether we'll get horrible smells. It also means that an inordinate amount of space is taken up with the various bags, bins etc.

Matthew Kelly
No, not that one.
Rubbish straw poll - Nsar
I think your Council is obliged to consult with residents affected by changes to essential services. Write to your council asking when this took place. If not, contact the Local Gov't Ombudsman.
Rubbish straw poll - Hugo {P}
Well, we still have a collection every week for the main refuse, but have a recyclable collection every 2 weeks.

We are asked to sort into the following

Old but useable clothing,

Glass (bottles and jars only)

Milk cartons, tin cans, foil, etc

Paper, including junk mail, phone directories etc but not brown envelopes or yellow pages.

Finally, cardboard and brown paper/envelopes

I think it has reduced out volume of rubbish by 50%.....

Oh dear, the penny has dropped - half the rubbish, half the collections!

There are recycling facilities in the village car park, but the 3 pubs in the village seem to have hijacked the bottle banks. These are invariably full to overflowing and pose something of a safety hazard when plastic bags full of bottles etc are left by the well meaning public wanting to do their bit.

H
High usage Mobile phone tarrifs - Hugo {P}
I am going to change to another mobile tarrif.

Up to now I have been paying about £10 per month for a tarrif that gives me 750 off peak mins to landlines and other same network mobiles only. However, now I am starting a business, I need to rethink my package.

I estimate that I will use the phone a lot more during peak times and across networks. Currently I use a pay as you go phone at 25p per min for first 3 mins of the day then down to 5 p per min with O2 rather than spend 40p per min with T Mobile

There is a very good deal that I have been offered which is as follows:

3 coverage, reverts to O2 where 3 has no cover.

500 free anytime mins across network

Free 3G video Phone with 2 way camera etc etc. I think its a Motorola.

£12.50 for the first 3 months, then £25 per month after that

£25 cashback in the 4th month as my current contract has some time to run, and I don't have to hand in the current phone (Nokia 3410).

£20 free accesories.

He laughed when I asked him to include a free PAYG phone!

So the first year will cost me:

£12.50 x 3 = £37.50

£25.00 x 9 = £225.00

Minus £25 cash back = total cost of £237.50

Anyone know any better deals?

I don't necessarily need the 3G video etc, but would like a camera phone and loads of anytime minuits. Texts are not an issue as I typically send about 5 texts a month, even though they are free on my current tarrif.

Hugo
High usage Mobile phone tarrifs - BobbyG
Hugo, if you go onto the Dialaphone website, you basically will get the same deal as yours but the first 6 months is half price rather than the first 3.
If you do much texting, the 02 website gives 500 free texts a month for most of its plans.
High usage Mobile phone and the Tax Man - Hugo {P}
Bobby

Thanks for that steer. I went onto the Dialaphone Website and saw what they had to offer. These packages are available on the 3 Network with 12 months min contract.

500 anytime/any network min a month with a Motorola A835 is £25 per month and came with 6 months half price line rental.

750 anytime/any network min a month with a Motorola A835 is £35 per month and came with 12 months half price line rental.

Hence the 500 package over the year would have cost (6 x £12.50) + (6 x £25) = £225 after discounts and cashbacks etc, but....

The 750 package over the year costs (12 x £17.50) = £210 after discounts and cashbacks!

So, it's £15 CHEAPER for me to have an extra 250 mins a month!!

As these are fully tax deductable, we decided to go for 2 phones. This entitles us to an extra £20 cashback into our bank account. Hence for the year we're looking at £400 between us. This sounds a lot, but we have successfully reduced our landline charges significantly by making off peak calls on our current mobiles that allow us 750 off peak mins per month to landlines/same network only.

We now aim to use our mobiles for ALL our outgoing calls (except 0845, 0870, 0800 etc Premium rate nos). We don't expect to pay for many calls at all and occasionally the odd text.

This is more tax efficient as I would have to sift out calls made on the landline for domestic use before putting them in the tax return, whereas the IR accept all mobile phone costs to be put against the business, plus at 750 anytime minuits I don't think I'll be having to pay extra for any x network or landline calls!

A worthey steer from my Key Business Skills course!

Hugo
High usage Mobile phone and the Tax Man - BobbyG
Wonder if I still had some of their "recommend a friend" coupons about.... :)
"The Triage System" - L'escargot
For the first time in my life, I?ve come up against ?The Triage System?, whatever that might be.

I rang the surgery to ask to see a doctor, and was told that (even at 9 am!) there were no more appointments available for today. OK, it?s not urgent so when could I have an appointment please? You could try ringing up again first thing tomorrow, I was told. (Enquiry reveals that ?first thing? is 8.30 am.) Thinks but doesn?t say ~ what, and start the whole procedure over again from scratch? If the doctor?s work load is such that I can?t have an appointment for another week, why can?t I be told that, and the appointment made there and then. Could save me umpteen phone calls, and could save the receptionist the time taken to give me the brush-off umpteen times.

The alternative was for a ?nursing practitioner? to call me back. But if I?m ill enough to request an appointment with a doctor, then a chat over the phone isn?t going to remedy what ails me. My request for an appointment means that I need to be examined, and the appropriate medical procedure set in motion. Trust me, I might not be a doctor, but I do know my own body!

What exactly is ?The Triage System?, and how is it going to benefit me? At the moment all it?s achieved is to rub me up the wrong way. At least before, I was ill but serene. Now I?m ill and narked to boot!

--
"The Triage System" - Baskerville
Triage is a system whereby you are interviewed to assess your level of illness and offer advice on the best course of action to take. Doctors' time is expensive and it's simply more efficient for people to see the person suitably qualified to deal with their ailment. That may or may not be a doctor. It doesn't take a doctor to prescribe verucca ointment, for example, yet many people will insist on seeing a doctor regardless. They are wasting my taxes and I don't like it.

If it's done right the person interviewing will be quite open-ended in their questioning, getting you to think about and explain your own illness. It has its drawbacks, but in a world driven by the bottom line it makes sense. You don't see the CEOs of multinational companies doing their own photocopying, do you? Not unless they have a thang goin' on with the operator in cubicle three, anyway.
Triage is a system whereby you are interviewed to assess your
level of illness and offer advice on the best course of
action to take. Doctors' time is expensive and it's simply more
efficient for people to see the person suitably qualified to deal
with their ailment. That may or may not be a doctor.
It doesn't take a doctor to prescribe verucca ointment, for example,
yet many people will insist on seeing a doctor regardless. They
are wasting my taxes and I don't like it.
If it's done right the person interviewing will be quite open-ended
in their questioning, getting you to think about and explain your
own illness. It has its drawbacks, but in a world driven
by the bottom line it makes sense. You don't see the
CEOs of multinational companies doing their own photocopying, do you? Not
unless they have a thang goin' on with the operator in
cubicle three, anyway.

It's all very well and good to weed out the people who insist on seeing a doctor when they have a verucca. But does that mean that we are all to be tarred with the same brush? I'll ask the question again ~ "How does the triage system benefit me?". Not how does the triage system benefit my GP. Is this not yet another case of the bureaucratic tail wagging the dog?
--
"How does the triage system benefit me?".

Presumably as a taxpayer you benefit when I don't take a verucca to a doctor whose time costs the NHS more than a nurse's would. Think about it. Would you hire an architect to build a garden wall or would you trust Bob the Builder to figure it out all by himself? It's crazy to see a doctor for minor ailments, but when your verucca is giving you trouble you might think your foot is going to fall off so you're not really in a position to make the call. Triage is the method used to work out who needs a doctor and who needs a pat on the head (and all points in between). It's more efficient that way.
Sounds reasonable, ChrisR.

So what do I say when the receptionist answers the phone? Exactly how do I broach the subject of why I've rung up? It's obviously wrong for me to assume that I need to see a doctor. Perhaps if medical practices were to issue guidelines as to the patient's opening gambit? "Could I speak to someone with a modicum of medical knowledge for advice?" or "I'm L'escargot, now what do I do?" Previously, ssking for an appointment with doctor so and so was easy, but now the patient appears to be in the wrong before they've hardly had time to open their mouth.
All very frustrating.
--
Yes. You have to trust that the person on the other end of the phone knows what they're doing (with the triage system), or you'll feel hard done-to. That's the tricky part I guess. It's possible it wasn't done well in your case.
"The Triage System" - henry k
The Triage System has been in existance at Accident & Emergency depts at Hospitals for years. If you arrive by your own transport you normally see a non doctor first.
This applies to all individuals. The same applied to my daughter, a doctor, when I took her to A & E one night. She has just finished a 6 months stint as an A & E doctor at another hospital and the same sytem is at all the hospitals she has worked.

Re appointments.
The NEW system at a multi doctor practice is as follows:
Phone up "your" surgery on a weekday in the morning and you will get an appointment that day. It may not be with "your" doctor.
YOU can only make an appointment on the day.
Out of hours or weekends the call diverts and you get a doctor who is not in "your" practice.
This is the way the goverment wants / insists that all operate the appointment system.
Been doing it at our practice for about a year. I have had the official presentations aswell.
So things are a changing - fast so expect it everywhere.
Thanks henry k, that explains things. Why couldn't my surgery have issued an explanation like that, instead of the receptionist acting all coy, innocent and unforthcoming when I rang up? Better still, why doesn't the NHS let everyone know about it?
--
"The Triage System" - borasport20
Why couldn't my surgery have
issued an explanation like that, instead of the receptionist acting all
coy, innocent and unforthcoming when I rang up?

medical practices dont do 'forthcoming'. My practice has changed apointment systems about 6 times in the last 10 years, and I think only once have the changes been publicised or explained in any way. A few years ago, I visited the surgery to find all the doors and walls plastered with posters saying 'we move to new surgery on 14th may !!". I asked the doctor why there were no posters actually telling anybody where the new surgery was, and he said he thought everbody knew !

just 'cos I know what I'm saying doesn't mean I know what I'm talking about

TV codes - Adam {P}
Hi all,
I hope this is in the right place, if not, sorry. I have recently bought a new PDA which can control equipment such as VCR's Tv's, etc... I have got it to control the VCR no problem. However, I need the code to use the TV. THe tv model itself is a Grundig T55-1010. Anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks

Adam.
--
"Ah...beer - my only weakness - my achilles heel if you will"
TV codes - IanT
According to http:\\www.oneforall.co.uk (**) there are only 10 distinct coding possibilities for Grundig TVs. So if the codes for any other Grundig TVs were supplied with your PDA, try them all and see if any work.

It's unlikely the One For All codes will work with your PDA, but just for reference they are:
0195 0191 0487 0706 0037 0556 0587 0009 0036 0370

(**) Click Products, Universal Remote Controls, and follow the prompts.

Ian
TV codes - L'escargot
I bought a cheap (£3.99) universal remote control recently because the original was starting to become a bit unco-operative. The instructions listed all the possible codes for what appears to be every TV, VCR, DVD, hifi etc etc known to mankind. Unfortunately they didn't say what the numerous buttons do, and the markings are somewhat less than self-explanatory, so in a lot of cases you have to work on a system of trial and error. I've sussed out the TV, but not the VCR yet.
--
TV codes - Civic8
you could try these/009.018.044.092.102.117.118.136.137.185.one may work I hope?
TV codes - Adam {P}
Ian & Mech,
Many thanks for yout help - it now works which I am very happy about although more than likely I'll revert to using the normal remote soon enough!

Many thanks again

Adam
--
TV codes - Mark (RLBS)
Is it Nevo ?
TV codes - Adam {P}
Certainly is and so far I'm quite impressed I must say; not least when I went to my mate's house before and rather childishly started flicking over channels. (The first code I tried worked for his PACE Cable Box)
--
Heathrow - Holborn by Tube - Nsar
How long does it take?
Heathrow - Holborn by Tube - Bromptonaut
56 minutes according to the route planner at tube.tfl.gov.uk/. I'd add a bit for luck if timing matters.
Heathrow - Holborn by Tube - henry k
56 minutes according to the route planner at tube.tfl.gov.uk/. I'd add
a bit for luck if timing matters.

Tube from T4 goes to the end of the line so to speak at T1/T2/T3.
Train stops at the end of the line so driver can do what he needs to do.
The tube map shows a loop from T4 via Central area and back to Hatton Cross. Trains only go round the loop as above.
From T4 certainly add a bit for luck and add a bit more for the drivers break. You may find a train already waiting to go at T1 when you arrive so you hop trains.
If speed is important then consider the Heathrow express to Paddington. Not cheap but about 15/20 mins

Just looked at
tube.tfl.gov.uk/cgi-bin/tpquery3.exe
Does not make much sense to me having been there, worked there etc for years and years.
At T4 get on ANY train.
Any train goes towards Holborn. Some might just terminate short at Northfields but then just get on the next.

Enjoy.
Heathrow - Holborn by Tube - Wilco {P}
Feels like it takes forever on the Pic line, but in reality the Heathrow Express is little quicker - you get to Paddington quickly and then it all tends to go wrong there.
Heathrow - Holborn by Tube - Bromptonaut
Any train goes towards Holborn. Some might just terminate short at
Northfields but then just get on the next.

Trains from Holborn to Heathrow may terminate short at Northfields. Towards town it is unlikely that the train destination (Arnos Grove, Cockfosters) will make much difference,