What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Diagnostic Trouble Codes - TB
Hi,

My 1999 Focus' engine has a habit of stuttering or jumping while driving. It happens all the time but seems worse in cold weather.

When I go in to view the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (hold in the reset button on the odometer and start the car then scroll through the options) it is showing the following DTC - 9202 which, according to the index, means "Fuel Sender Open Circuit". What I need to know is what this means in English and what I need to tell my mechanic to get it fixed.

Very greatful for any advice.

Thanks.
Ford Diagnostic Trouble Codes - kennybase

"This is a problem that Ford knows about so don't hesitate to tell your dealer that you expect them to fix it.
I had mine replaced 2 weeks ago with no problem from them...also I had the fuel pump replaced but
hopefully that was an isolated incident. They're being replaced everywhere, sensor and fuel pump both. Not a recall, just when a problem arises. If your tank is nearly empty it's not a big job for a mechanic with a hoist."

Found this on another forum - doesn't really explain what it is - but might be helpful.

Thanks for this Kennybase.

I had a look elsewhere and the advice seems to be to carry out a "Pinpoint Test A". Does anyone know what this means? I'd really like to get more info on this before I go to the dealer.

Thanks.
Ford Diagnostic Trouble Codes - superannuated rocker
Can you please confirm what is being said here. My wife's '99 focus 1.6 has a hesitation like a brief misfire when changing up or when increasing the throttle opening. It is only brief and does not always occur. Is this the known problem you speak about and is it caused by a faulty fuel pump or a faulty tank sender? I am having difficulty seeing how the tank sender can cause a hesitation problem unless the ECU uses the signal in some way.
Many Thanks
SR
Ford Diagnostic Trouble Codes - timp
Does this feature work on all Focuses?

Where can I find a list of codes?

Thanks,
Tim
As far as I know it does work for all Focuses.

There is a list of the codes here.

Enjoy!

www.bullittarchive.com/Misc/Instrument_Test
ok, I also get DTC code 9202.

Is this a problem that needs fixing? Occasionally my fuel gauge reads empty after I have filled up, is this related?

What is a fuel sender?

Is it expensive to fix? My car is out of warranty.
Sorry, I can answer part of my question here after consulting my Haynes Manual:

The fuel sender tells the fuel gauge how much fuel is left in the tank. There is obviously a problem with this that means that the fuel gauge occasionally reads empty. The fault code is there because it had remembered that it has failed on a previous occasion, even if it is working at the moment.

I don't think I'll worry about it as I always have a good idea of how much fuel I have left anyway, and it always goes wrong just after I have filled up.
I also noticed that the analogue and digital speedometer read differently. The analogue one overreads by about 3 mph at 30mph. Which is correct?
Ford Diagnostic Trouble Codes - Adam {P}
Timp, we found this on my Dad's Focus. Not sure but I would assume that the digital one is mor accurate. It reads about 3 mph out at around 30 as well.
--
"Give Way"? Wait....I know this one...give me a minute
Ford Diagnostic Trouble Codes - Blue {P}
Do the instructions in that link also work on my 03 Fiesta?

Blue
Ford Diagnostic Trouble Codes - Adam {P}
Wouldn't be able to give you an accurate answer Blue but seeing as it has a digital odometer, don't see any reason why not.
Hold the reset button in and turn on the engine. Keep pressing to cycles through the many different options.

Hope this helps

Adam
--
"Ah...beer - my only weakness - my achilles heel if you will"