What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
I have a question Volume 27 - No Do$h

******* Thread now closed, please see volume 28 ********

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18870

In this thread you may ask any question for which you need help, advice, suggestions or whatever.

It does not need to be motoring related. In fact, in this thread it should not be.

No politics
No Speeding, speed cameras, traffic calming
No arguments or slanging matches
Nothing which I think is not following the spirit of the thread
Nothing that risks the future of this site (please see the small print for details www.honestjohn.co.uk/credits/index.htm )

Any of the above will be deleted. If the thread becomes difficult to maintain it will simply be removed.

However, as has been said a couple of times, there is a wealth of knowledge in here, much of which is not motoring related, but most of which is useful.

This is Volume 27. Previous Volumes will not be deleted.

Volume 26 can be found here: www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=18501

No Telegraph - matt35 {P}
Motoring it may not be, but I shall put this thread in \"I Have A Question\" later as there is some useful stuff in here. ND

Since newspapers boys were made illegal - 7 of us do a day each delivering the street papers...
So, Friday being my day, up at 7 and drove to shop, drove back at 8 in case they were have a lay in...
SWMBO assured me last night that there were papers today - wait till she wakes up!
Matt35.
No Telegraph - henry k
My paper boy delivered Telegrah and Mail early today..
Hence my boxing day posting.

Back on yer bike sir?
Thanks Henry,

Just found a Telegraph - our paper shop not opening today!
Now to GROVEL to SWMBO...
Matt 35.
No Telegraph - Marc
Just out of interest - When were paperboys made illegal?
Marc,
Around March this year, after many warnings from some busybody organisation, our local shop gave up and fired all the kids who were making good pocket money and learning about work.
One Mother still buys all her sons' papers every morning and he delivers them and gets his Christmas tips.. the shop cannot be prosecuted for selling to the mother.
Don't know the law in detail - something to do with schoolkids not working within X hours of school.
Pre-motoring related - I had to have the horse hitched to the milk cart by 5 am from the age of 11 - 364 days a year - until I was 14 - don't know why I ended up a physical wreck!
Matt35
No Telegraph - THe Growler
No wonder so many namby pamby fat slobby kids in UK then. I was up at 4.30 a.m. to cycle up Stanmore Hill, sort my papers, deliver them around the Stanmore Common area then back down to Gordon Avenue to do the RAF base, then back up the hill again to the shop, and then get off to school in Harrow on me bike as well to get ther by 9 a.m. 7 days a week for ten shillings and good tips at Christmas -- oh, I used to do the GPO Xmas postal deliveries as well as the paper round.

1954-7, rain or shine.
No Telegraph - Chris M
You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, out Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

ChrisM (with acknowledgements to MP)
No Telegraph - Alyn Beattie
A septic tank, a brown paper bag and a crust of bread, Luxury etc. etc.

(With furthur acknowledgements to Monty Python)

Alyn Beattie

I'm sane, it's the rest of the world that's mad.
No Telegraph - Martin Devon
Stanmore eh! I was born & bred in Hillingdon and stayed there till we decamped to the West Country in '88. Had an Uncle stationed at Stanmore mid sixties if my mem' serves me ok. Now what was that plane at the entrance to the Base. I always knew, but the old grey Matter ain't what it used to be! I'm tempted to say Phantom or was it an English Electric Lightning?? Motoring thread. My dad used to drive us there!!!

Regards Sir.
No Telegraph - THe Growler
Yeah, funny how the modernists sneer at kids doing real work,eh! Those days are where I got my work ethic from and made my own pocket money without handouts.

Mr Devon: Briefly I left Stanmore in '58 after being schooled at St Martins Northwood and the Lower School of John Lyons at 'Arrow on the 'Ill. but I feel sure it was a Lightning at the base gate. I grew up in Stanmore during the war and Jerry was always after HQ Fighter Command at Bentley Priory so we had plenty of nights in the Morrison shelter in the garden. I could see London burning from my bedroom window many a night, and we got a real thrill when a Hurricane shot down an ME109 which crashed on Stanmore Golf Course about 1/4 mile away. The wardens let us kids look at it once they'd taken the pilot's remains away.

Can I connect this with motoring? Yes I can. When my Pa was demobbed he went back to his city job and in those days new cars were like hens' teeth. Most of what was made went for export. But via the black market and "A man in a pub" he was able to bring home one day in 1947 a gleaming black new Ford Prefect and some petrol coupons. THX 41 was the reg no. and it sat proudly outside the house while the neighbours ooh-ed and aah-ed over it. 6 volt electrics, cable brakes, thermo-syphon "cooling" and REAL leather upholstery for some reason! He used to drive to Edgware tube every day and park it there while he went to work. Not advisable in this day and age I would think!

No Telegraph - cockle {P}
Matt, this is the current law.

According to the amendments to the 1933 Act (national law) which were implemented in 1998, you may not work if you are under 14 but 13 year olds may be able to do work which is approved by local authoriity by-laws. You may only do what is called 'light work' and you must not work:

before 7am and after 7pm
during school hours
more than two hours on a school day
more than one hour before school starts
more than two hours on a Sunday.

More detail can be found at:- www.youthinformation.com/infopage.asp?snID=43

My son still does a paper round and all our local shops have no problems employing paper boys, the fly in the ointment is probably your local council as they are able to make additional by-laws. The only other way I can see there being a problem is if the paper round can't be completed in the hour or if the paper boy would have to start before 7am in order to be finished in time to start his journey to school.
Personally, I don't really see the point of the 7am start bit, some of my son's schoolfriends have to leave home at 6:30am to get to school for 8:30 by public transport!

Cockle
cockle,
Thanks for the detail - this is more or less what I was told at the time...the drafting of this law probably requires some reference or acknowledgement to Monty Python?
Matt35
No Telegraph - cockle {P}
Matt35,
I'd go along with that.
I currently have an interest in the subject due to my son's age, he is four months short of his sixteenth birthday and about a month ago completed his work experience in a local supermarket. He thoroughly enjoyed being in that environment and they were so impressed by him that they have offered him the chance to work for them part-time with immediate effect, they don't normally employ anyone under 16. He thought that it would be a great opportunity for him to get some cash behind him for when he starts college in September. Obviously he can't work during the week at the moment due to school and doesn't really want to work on Saturdays due to other commitments he has but is more than happy to work on a Sunday.

Sadly the law states that he can work up to 8 hours on a Saturday BUT HE CAN ONLY WORK 2 HOURS ON A SUNDAY!

I can understand that the law would want to protect someone from working late on a Sunday before school but the shop is only open for 6 hours on a Sunday and closes at 4pm.
Crazy situation!

Cockle
No Telegraph - Hugo {P}
Cockle

Why does your son not work a few hours on Saturday and Sunday?

It's great to have someone applaud his attitude towards work at this early stage.

Hugo
Milky Coffee - AdrianM
Usually at some point over the weekend we put on our cardies and slippers and heat up two mugs of milk in the microwave to make milky coffee. Sometimes, if the milk gets very hot, the liquid will suddenly expand and froth over the top when a)I add the sugar, or b) I put a cold teaspoon in the milk. This behaviour has always mystified me & annoyed SWMBO (when offered a mug with sticky, gooey, milky froth pasted to the side) - any explanations?
Milky Coffee - Manatee
I may have missed some of the physics here as its a while since I heard the explanation for this, but -

You have observed a dangerous phenomenon that resulted in a friend of mine being scalded a few years ago by a cup of milky coffee!

There's superheated liquid at the bottom of the cup (essentially above boiling point for the room temperature and pressure). It's kept from actually boiling by the additional pressure of the remaining liquid over it. Presumably it heats up locally so fast in a microwave that the convection process can't keep up.

When you disturb it, the pressure is relieved and/or the superheated milk comes nearer the surface, the pressure reduction being enough to cause instant boiling.

Lots of people get scalded this way and its always worth being very careful taking hot liquids out of a microwave, or better still leave them for half a minute to equalise the temperature before taking them out.

When the EU cottons on to this there will be a new directive issued (that only the UK will implement) and we will only be allowed to use use cups with lids that automatically lock when the contents are over 80 deg C. Meanwhile, we'll have to be careful.

Prevention/Removal of Intrusive Cookies. - THe Growler
I use Ad-Aware, Search and Destroy and Spyware Blaster to prevent/remove the intrusive cookies problem, plus Sygate Firewall.

With a weekly cleanout that keeps the busybodies out of my system, except the most tenacious one: Red Sheriff. This is always there whenever I look and doing some digging I find it is loaded with many websites and ISP\'s -- the BBC being one you might like to know. Red Sheriff has its own website and claims to be a sophisticated tool for gathering market information for advertisers. It also claims not to compromise privacy in the process and yeah I just heard 3 pigs took off from Manila International Airport.

I absolutely detest the thought of anyone sniffing around gathering info about me. I am not tech-lit, but have been told disabling Java will keep this out, but that seems overkill.
Somebody told me I can block messages to the Red Sheriff site, in other words the cookie still sits on my machine but ET can\'t phone home. I fiddled around with this but can\'t see how to do it. The firewall controls what comes in but not what goes out it seems.

Any ideas or experiences with this?
Prevention/Removal of Intrusive Cookies. - Phil I
You can avoid these problems G. if you switch to Mozilla as Browser and mail client. You get options to refuse access to cookies which have been refused previously. (as well as lots of other useful bits and pieces) You don\'t ever see them again .
Prevention/Removal of Intrusive Cookies. - THe Growler
Yes I\'ve tried Mozilla but couldn\'t get on with it. Too much of the Netscape I always loathed. Also found it very slow to load websites. Thanks, I think I\'ll persist in my crusade against Red Sheriff: it\'s become a point of honor now! If I have any success I\'ll publish it!
Prevention/Removal of Intrusive Cookies. - Another John H
A place to look is the usenet group alt.privacy.spyware

There is an interesting site with details

www.geocities.com/yosponge/

Be quick, this will be another of my dissapearing posts..

No it won\'t. ND
Prevention/Removal of Intrusive Cookies. - frostbite
Red Sheriff appears to arive on my machine via eBay. I have given up deleting that one.
Kill Cookies dead. - buzbee
Much concern has been expressed about dodgy cookies and the frequent need to use Adaware to get rid of them. The down side is that Adaware takes considerable time to run and mostly, in my case, just finds cookies. Being an old DOS exponent I can kill these much quicker myself, thanks. Thus Adaware run once a month is OK for me.

Here is how. Using Notepad type the two lines below into a text file then save it and then rename it ZapCook.BAT (You may have to tweek your PC to be allowed to change the extension to BAT).

DEL C:\WINDOWS\COOKIES\*.TXT
COPY C:\COOKS\*.TXT C:\WINDOWS\COOKIES\*.txt

Then right mouse button drag the ZapCook.BAT file to the desktop and choose 'create a link' and you will have an icon for running ZapCook.BAT

Then Right drag the folder COOKIES to the desktop and choose 'create a link'.

Then create the folder C:\COOKS and right drag that folder to the screen and choose 'create a link'.

Now left click on the desktop link to open COOKIES and ditto to open COOKS.

Copy from COOKIES to COOKS just the cookies you want to keep.

Close the folders.

Job Done.

Now, anytime you want to get rid of spurious cookies, just click the ZapCook icon to run the program. Your cookies folder will immediately be cleared out and only the ones you kept will be re-installed in it. (Click the top-right 'X' to close the ZapCook.BAT program).

You can carry out such a cleanout even while browsing the web, if you want to -- I often do.
Kill Cookies dead. - buzbee
Sorry, its getting late,

DEL C:WINDOWSCOOKIES*.TXT
COPY C:COOKS*.TXT C:WINDOWSCOOKIES*.txt

should read:

DEL C:\WINDOWS\COOKIES\*.TXT
COPY C:\COOKS\*.TXT C:\WINDOWS\COOKIES\*.txt

Which Which Digital Camera - borasport20
or what Which, or which What Digital Camera

i'm back at work and it is v quiet and post-christmas blues have set in, so I'm thinking of cheering myself up by replacing my camera with a new digital one, so I called in at WH Smiths at lunchtime, and was utterly confused by the range of digital camera mags, mostly sealed so you can't read them. As they are all several quid apiece, can anybody tell me which is the best magazine for comparative lists of current models ?

failing that, if anyone can find me a digital camera as strong and versatile as my old Olympus OM1, as compact, rugged and foolproof as my Olympus AF, I'd be very interested. (why do most olympus digital compacts seem very fragile ?)

--
Bora - what Bora ?
Which Which Digital Camera - rustbucket
>>or what Which, or which What Digital Camera

try this site for reviews ect, not into magazines of this nature
www.dpreview.com/

rustbucket
Which Which Digital Camera - PoloGirl
Photography magazines are expensive aren't they! Good consumer focussed ones are Digital Photography and Photographer or there's Practical Photography and Amateur Photographer that have digital sections. All of those four are easy to digest, but I've not seen copies this month so can't tell you what's in them - sorry!

As far as websites go, www.ephotozine.com has an excellent reviews section and a friendly message board community.

Can't reccomend buyine online strongly enough - once you've decided on a camera, and been to the high street to have a play with it and see how it feels, pop it into kelkoo.co.uk and you'll be amazed at the amount you can save.

Which Which Digital Camera - SpamCan61 {P}
What amazed me was the difference in price on the camera I've just bought (Canon A70 FWIW) : Comet in store price 299.99; Comet web price 224.99. Could've saved a few quid more from some of the 'virtual shops' found via Kelkoo or Pricerunner; but I'm not keen on spending that much money when there's no actual shop to take it back to if it's DOA or breaks under warranty.
Which Which Digital Camera - PoloGirl
Spamcan - yep that's where we got my Nikon. At the time it was around £300 on the high street but £230 online with Comet, found through Kelkoo.

Which Which Digital Camera - SpamCan61 {P}
Agree with rustbucket that dpreview is the best site for digicam info; although finding anything as rugged as an OM1 sounds pretty challenging; unless you've got upwards of 5 grand to spend on a Canon 1Ds.
Which Which Digital Camera - Cardew
I have the Cannon Powershot A20 which for a fairly basic camera is pretty good and robust. My son has the latest model A40? which is similar.

Both of us found the cheapest site on the internet and printed out the details. We then took it to Jessups(largest high street chain) who 'price matched'. They do insist that the internet site shows the item as 'in stock'. Do this for any accessories as well.

If you look at USA sites you will find identical cameras(Cannon, Sony etc) much cheaper. However you will have to pay duty if HM Customs pick it up - or get someone visiting the States to buy one.
Which Which Digital Camera - carl_a
www.dpreview.com in't bad but it doesn't test that many cameras. Try www.imaging-resource.com www.steves-digicams.com and www.dcresource.com

Kelkoo is OK for some things but not for others, they only list prices from companies that pay them. So you wont get the best prices on computer gear/digital cameras
Which Which Digital Camera - borasport20
unless you've got upwards of 5 grand to spend on
a Canon 1Ds.

and here was I hoping to get away with £200.... ;-)

The biggest issue I have with all the digital compacts i've seen is that they do feel flimsy. The old 35mm olympus AF, it was the dog's thingies when it came out, but i'd be happy to put it in a jacket pocket and not worry about keys and stuff.

p.s. - thanks to everybody for the replies - food for thought.

--
Bora - what Bora ?
Which Which Digital Camera - Welliesorter
See also www.steves-digicams.com/

The good thing about doing this research on the net is that you can see sample pictures.
Which Which Digital Camera - Welliesorter
Hmm... someone had already posted that. Should have refreshed the page first.
Which Which Digital Camera - frostbite
A lot of computer mags do comparative reviews - I believe there was one recently in PC Pro.
Which Which Digital Camera - Flat in Fifth
One comment for those of us with bifocals or varifocals.

Canon A80 with the fold out and tiltable LCD screen makes life a lot easier and stops you looking like one of those nodding dogs we used to see on rear parcel shelves.

OK the screen size is smaller than perhaps the norm these days but it really does help.

M.M you can also gt it with A/V output socket and cable included!

Which Which Digital Camera - buzbee
I have an Olympus C-4000. For what I want the pictures are excellent. But one big surprise, and disappointment, was the time it takes to fire after you press the button. Action shots are almost impossible. Before you buy a camera check this out. For instance I read that a feature of the new sub-£1000 reflex ones is they do not (usually)suffer from this.
Which Which Digital Camera - Peter D
borasport20. Hi, Goto Dpreview and have allok at the camera reviews and galleries to look at performance. Regards Peter
Which Web Design Tool? - rg
Folks,

Any suggestions on this one?

Dreamweaver?

Net Objects Fusion?

Adobe Thingie?

I am not intending to do anything flash...just make and amend pages.

(And I don't speak Klingon, Vogon, or php.)

rg
Which Web Design Tool? - Welliesorter
I am not intending to do anything flash...just make and amend
pages.

You don't state your level of expertise but, if you're a total beginner, learn a bit of HTML first. That way, when your software comes up with a mangled page, or uneccessarily complicated code, you'll understand why.

I use Microsoft FrontPage at work. It's not my choice, it's what I'm provided with. Its saving grace is the ability to edit the HTML directly. This can save a lot of time and effort because you can do a search and replace in the source code.

If you are a beginner. a good starting point would be the NCSA Beginner's Guide to HTML. See
archive.ncsa.uiuc.edu/General/Internet/WWW/HTMLPri...l
This isn't very up-to-date but it will teach you the basics.

If all you want is the ability to edit a few simple pages you may not need anything as fancy as the packages you mention. For editing raw HTML try Arachnophilia and, for WYSIWYG, the web page editor built into the (full) Mozilla browser. Most modern word processors will also do web pages but they tend to produce very wasteful code.

Apologies if I'm teaching my chicken farming, egg painting granny how to suck eggs.
Welliesorter,

Most kind of you to help. Thanks for the link.

I would rate myself as an "informed novice". I hate having to pay for something that, with some application and time, I could do myself. Oh yes, I am a Citroen owner, so I am used to lateral thinking, persistance, and "beating the system" :-))

I have been warned off FrontPage as it does not produce very elegant results, and its arcane workings can upset some browsers.

I have a couple of sample CDs from "Practical Internet" magazine from a few years ago, so will probably install them over the holiday and have a play.

Thanks again

rg
Which Web Design Tool? - pmh
Whilst I use Dreamweaver (v4), I found (and still find!) the learning curve to have discontinuities! It is powerful but at first sight somewhat daunting.

Expensive if you have to buy the latest version.

See www.cyanic.co.uk www.gitesdecharme.biz www.apalondon.biz for examples of fairly simple amateur efforts.

pmh (was peter)
Which Web Design Tool? - borasport20
RG - I'd go for NOF Fusion - my site www.mikes-walks.co.uk was initially created in Fusion 4 and is now maintained in Fusion 7 - if you have any specific queries, feel free to email me at the address in my profile

It can produce pages with loads on unecessary code, but no more so than any other software, and if you're just concerned with getting a site up, it doesn't matter anyway.

(I do have to declare an interest - after 20 years in the computer industry, I cannot rememmber having come across software less user-friendly that Dreamweaver. I don't normally even pay for my software, but last year I paid my own money for a training course in Dreamweaver MX, and all I learned was that I don't like it)

hope this helps
--
Bora - what Bora ?
Most kind - Thanks very much.

I most certainly want to avoid any complex stuff. probably "mid-range" would describe it. I have noticed quite a few "tutorials" advertised for Dreamweaver. Not "plug and play", I would guess.

Thanks again.

rg
Which Web Design Tool? - borasport20
Dreamweaver is not what I would call plug and play - not at all !

NOF has a fairly comprehensive walk-through of creating a site from scratch and for most functions is easy to use - you can download a demo version from www.netobjects.com/products/html/download.html (but it is about 45 meg ! - magazine cover CD may be a better bet if you don't have broadband)

--
Bora - what Bora ?
MM & Computers..... - Mark (RLBS)
MM,

Going back to your computer question, Dell have got some really good deals on at the moment - more than good enough for your needs I should think, and in my experience very reliable kit.

Try these three....

www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx?c...s

Go through the "configure and buy" bit, you get the price long before you have to give any details of yourself.
MM & Computers..... - Flat in Fifth
But then there is always Evesham who I can totally recommend in all respects.
Noisy Neighbours!! - PoloGirl
Someone help me out before I go mad!

The people that live above us are driving me crazy - they seem to be totally nocturnal, for instance it's midnight and they've just got up and are having what sounds like band practice up there, and are shouting to make themselves heard over the music! Other days they have screaming rows and he's even smashed their front door before.

Normally I just go and stay at my nan's when it gets bad but I don't see why I should have to... but equally I don't want them to know that it's me who wants to complain.

The flats are all private so I'm guessing complaining to the council is no good. How can I find out who their landlord is, and would I have to say that I lived underneath them?

I dread the thought that everyone else thinks the noise is coming from *our* flat!

Thanks for any words of advice! (I've got to be on my way to work in a little under 7 hours!)

Noisy Neighbours!! - AdrianM
PoloGirl

Totally sympathise. We used to live above guy who would play music at ridiculous volumes (though seldom too late at night). Listening to All Saints - Never Ever at full volume on someone elses stereo over and over again is enough to drive anyone insane.

Perhaps worse were the young couple whose bathroom was next to our bedroom. I think they worked in bars/clubs as they would have long baths at 3-4am, during which time they would chat/row/etc. Bathrooms, being full of hard surfaces, are very resonant and we could hear every word. When we\'d finally had enough one morning we banged on their front door loud enough to wake the dead. They didn\'t answer but neither did we hear their nocturnal activities again.

Do report them to the council as they can serve a noise abatement thingy on them. I\'m sure if you can hear them others can too, so they will not be certain that you have reported them.

Hope they shut up soon and give you peace. As for myself I look forward to another tiresome night of disturbed sleep thanks to a 3 week old baby. However, that\'s all my own doing......at least, that\'s what the wife says..........
Noisy Neighbours!! - Godfrey H {P}
PG a good move would be to keep a diary of disturbance events and contact your local environmental health.
Noisy Neighbours!! - Pugugly {P}
PG Do you rent or own ?
Noisy Neighbours!! - PoloGirl
PU We're renting, and we move out in June - can't wait!

Thanks to everyone who replied. They finally shut up at about 4 and I had 3 hours of blissful sleep!

Am off back down south to my parents for new year this afternoon and they live in what I used to think was the most dull and boring sleepy suburb, but I see the attraction of peace and quiet now I live in the city!

Noisy Neighbours!! - Roger Jones
PG

This is an awful thing to have to endure, as I well know. The Environmental Health department of your local authority will be receptive and sympathetic, and they are especially grateful for a clear record of the disturbance, perhaps extending over several weeks. In my case, I teamed up with another neighbour in making repeated written requests for noise to be controlled; after the third one met with no response, we sent to the local authority copies of that correspondence with a record of disturbance and a request for intervention -- all very restrained, factual and cool. That seems to have done the trick.

You may have to steel yourself and make it known to the source of noise that they are actually causing a problem. Check it out with other neighbours first and you may find one or more who are equally annoyed and are willing to join with you. Believe it or not, some people have such stunted social sensibilities that they simply do not realize they are causing other people problems; and, it has to be said, it's often something that dawns on younger people (yes, I was one once) only gradually or when they are met with a sharp shock.

But the key thing is to be restrained and explanatory; and doing it in writing creates evidence of reasonable behaviour on your part, and that will also go down well with the authorities. That is, avoid doorstep confrontations at all costs, especially if the behaviour of the source suggests that they are likely to be aggressive.
Noisy Neighbours!! - SteveH42
Yes, it's not nice, is it - I had something similar in the first place I lived in in Stockport.

As others have said, Environmental Health at the local council is you first port or call. It doesn't matter if they own or rent - EH will deal direct with them although if they rent and the landlord finds out then they might be moved on in short order.

EH do need 'proof' that it is a nuisance, so it's best to contact them first as they will tell you what you need to provide. Once you have satisfied them it's a problem they will write to the occupants informing them that the situation is being monitored. If they carry on then the next step will be either a visit or the installation of some monitoring equipment to prove the level of nuisance, from which will come a court case.

Sorry to say that if these people aren't cowed by the initial contact from EH then it's a fairly long process to get a result, but it is worth it, even if you don't get much benefit from it your successors will thank you.
What have I done to my computer? - L'escargot
I know it's only a trivial problem ~ well, hardly a problem at all really, more of a mystery.

The colour of the file name of some of the things I have saved on my hard drive have gone from from the normal black ~ to blue. There's no pattern to it ~ only some file names within certain sub-directories (or "folders") have been affected.

What have I done to deserve this? The reason for the question is that I'd like to improve my computer literacy. (My computer runs XP Home Edition).
--
L'escargot by name, but not by nature.
What have I done to my computer? - patently
You've asked Windows to compress files on the disk that are not used often. It marks them with a blue filename.

They're still useable, but if you modify them then Windows will uncompress them.
Mountain Bikes - BobbyG
I am looking to replace my mountain bike very cheaply. Halfords are advertising one of their own models, the Apollo Eco in the papers, reduced from £299 (allegedly) to £119 which is about the price bracket I am looking at.
It has 24 gears, front discs and dual suspension. Anyone any experience of this bike at all or any thoughts on it?
Mountain Bikes - No Do$h
I am looking to replace my mountain bike very cheaply. Halfords
are advertising one of their own models, the Apollo Eco in
the papers, reduced from £299 (allegedly) to £119 which is about
the price bracket I am looking at.
It has 24 gears, front discs and dual suspension. Anyone any
experience of this bike at all or any thoughts on it?

I would refer the learned gentleman to the following article:

www.aryana.co.uk/webdesign/images/robert/explained...m

Written by yours truly about three years ago. Most of it still applies, although steel has all but vanished as a frame material due to improvements in design and manufacture of Alumuminium frames.

At your budget I would suggest you avoid suspension of any sort. It will be poorly executed and will add an enormous amount of weight and general rolling resistance. You would be far better off scanning your local paper for a 2-3yr old bike that may have cost £400 new and has been reasonable looked after.

If you really must have new I can recommend the Carrera brand at Halfords as probably the best of the budget brands for a straightforward rigid bike. If you intend taking your bike offroad don\'t consider doing it on anything costing less than a couple of hundred. Plastic brake levers??? No thanks.....
Mountain Bikes - Jehovah
NoDosh is right Bobby - if you're looking at that price, there are oodles of good bikes sitting in garages across the country. Avoid anything well used (as with cars, if they've not been maintained, you might end up spending lots on new drivetrains etc.), but I bet if you start looking you'll find something with the taggy bits still on the tires, no wear on rubber handlebar grips etc.. - you'll get a better bike for your money, and be more inclined to use it.
Mountain Bikes - BobbyG
No Dosh, thanks for the information so far. Realistically though I am talking only of using my bike around the streets etc and the occasional cycle path. My current bike is a 12 year old Raleigh mountain bike.
I have today bought this Halfords one but can take it back as long as its not used. My current bike has a 21" frame but this one only has 18" frame. My inside leg is 29". I am 5'8".
Guy in shop tells me that the frame size is the distance from the top of the seat pillar to the pedal crank middle.
Also , they normally say that the frame size is dictated by inside leg minus 10 inches?
I now have the two bikes side by side, both wheels are same size, distance from seat to handle bars is same, seat height and handle bar height are the same in each bike. So should it make any difference that one is 18"? The only noticeable difference I could see was that when peddling the 18" bike felt as if my knees were coming up higher, although I don't understand how if the pedals and seat are the same distance?

I am missing something? Is this frame too small for me?
Mountain Bikes - No Do$h
Sorry for the delay in replying.

At 5\'8\" an 18\" frame is fine. Mountain bike frame geometry has changed somewhat over the years. 12 years back they were little more than beefed-up road frames with high crossbars and little clearance between the base of the saddle and the frame.

These days it is common to have a pronounced slope on the toptube, giving ample clearance to move your weight around on the bike. It is also common for the bottom bracket (where the pedals pass throught the frame) to be higher to give more ground clearance between the chain ring and any obstacles the bike may be passing over. Although this tends to be countered with a shorter crank arm (distance from bottom bracket to pedal) this would still leave you with your knees rising a little further at the top of each pedal stroke.

I wouldn\'t recommend a full suspension bike for town use as a lot of your energy is going to get absorbed by the suspension action, with the bike bobbing up and down with each pedal stroke. More expensive bikes counter this with variable oil damping or similar, but at the lower end on the price range there will little or no damping.

For road use you are better off having either a short-travel suspension fork or rigid fork. In either case you should really look to get a rigid frame. See if you can get a cheap set of road/trail tyres as well. You would be astonished the difference a semi-slick road tyre can make to the ease with which you cycle when on road. There are some tyres around that have a very light off-road tread, suitable for bridlepaths and hardpack tracks that will also improve road speed and control, but for 100% street I would suggest full-on road tyres.

In summary, the frame size seems fine, it\'s just the bike itself I would have reservations about.

I will see if I can locate some suitable alternatives online and post a link or two.

No Dosh
mailto:Alan_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk
Mountain Bikes - No Do$h
Here's a good source of bikes and bike stuff:

www.evanscycles.com/dept.jsp?dept_id=1001&subdept_...5

The above link shows a couple of excellent "hybrid" bikes, that is bikes that are tough enought to handle bridlepaths/towpaths/hardpack trails but offer a more upright seating position and tyres that will allow a much better ride in and around town.

The Scot Atacama at £149 is a peach of a bike for the kind of riding you are likely to do and will seem like a Ferrari in comparison to the apollo.
Mountain Bikes - BobbyG
Sorry for the delay in replying

Delay - must have been at least 15 mins between posting and getting a reply! Much much appreciated!
Round here the roads are in a hellish state and I am fed up with the bone rattling, not to mention the jarring I receive when cycling, thus the suspension. (Also, my son and daughters bikes both have them and I really can't let them get one over me!)
My budget is about the £120 mark. However, being honest, it is not life or death that I get one just now, just a case of having some xmas money, sale being on etc etc (I am turning into a woman!!)
Do really like the quick release front wheel - I took it off and only removed one of the seats in my Scenic and was able to have the bike standing up.
Due to financial reasons, I am going to have to give up my gym membership, I feel that if I have a shiny new bike then it will encourage me to go out on it and exercise!
Any more advice is appreciated!!
Mountain Bikes - No Do$h
Fair comment if the roads are that bad. If comfort is your key factor then yes, full suspension will hit the mark but will, as mentioned above, be harder work to pedal at a given speed than, say, just having a suspension fork.

Given your desire to use the bike to keep fit in preference to joining the gym you may have accidentally stumbled upon the ideal bike! Just don't let the extra effort needed to keep the bike going put you off.

As soon as budget allows I would suggest you have a look at putting some road tyres on your bike. To maximise the fitness potential it is worth remembering that a higher pedal rate with lower effort will do you a lot more good than labouring along in too high a gear. Aim to spin the pedals at around 70-80rpm and you will find your fitness and stamina will increase rapidly without your legs bulging like a premiership footballer's! The smoother tyres will help with this.

Although it can lead to adverse comments from younger members of the family, do get your hands on a helmet. £20 will get you something adequate from Halfords and is a small price to pay for the protection it offers. Kerbs, vans and errant pedestrians can be really unforgiving! I speak as someone who had the misfortune to spend 4 months off work once as a result of a bike accident. Had I not been wearing a helmet I would have spent the last 8 years in a pine box. Lights and some form of bright/reflective clothing should also be a priority, even if it means sticking a white t-shirt over your coat!

Above all else, remember that all motorists will see you as a moving target. Paranoia is your friend when riding on the road - although it's not really paranoia if they really are all out to get you......

;o)
Mountain Bikes - BobbyG
ND, re the helmet, already have one and so do the kids! They're not allowed to leave the driveway without wearing them! I don't care what their pals think!
My brother once cycled full pelt into an orange barrier that was placed at bike head height across a cycle path to prevent cars from going along it. Unfortunately, Harlow council had placed it directly under an orange street light so it , in effect, became invisible!
He lost a couple of teeth but without the helmet he would have, by all accounts, been joining you in that pine box!
Re the bike, I am in catch 22 here, Halfords say they will take it back as long as its in a showroom condition ie. its not been ridden on the road. However the only way I will convince myself that it will be OK is to go round the block a couple of times!!
Maybe wait till tomorrow to see if the roads are drier!!
Thanks for all your help!
Mountain Bikes - drbe
No Dosh & BobbyG

I am not sure where you are located in this great country of ours, but have a look at
www.lloyds-auction.co.uk
They have the Met Police lost and stolen and recovered bikes (and lots of other things) they are located in Southfields, SW London and bikes CAN go for silly money. Avoid half term time. Sales every other wednesday starting at 3pm.Viewing from 11'ish.

You can download the catalogue from the web site, or buy one on the day for £2. They also sell lots of stuff like laptops, pcs, power tools, cordless drills etc.

Good hunting

Don drbe
Mountain Bikes - No Do$h
drbe,

Thanks for that link.

ND
Mountain Bikes - BobbyG
Strathclyde, only 500 miles away !!!
Thanks anyway - might try my local police for more info! :)
Virus warning - Thommo
With the indulgence of the moderators a little warning before I head to the pub.

There is an extremely nasty little bug out there called Hot Text/Top Text/Ezula (all the same thing). It sits in the background and forwards information from your computer to its server on the web. You may have had it for sometime and not know. The dnagers are I hope obvious.

Run a search for 'ezstub.exe' and if you've got it its very hard to get rid of. There are advice sites on the web but basically you need to edit the registry in DOS which is not for the uninitiated.

Virus warning - GrumpyOldGit
Norton Anti-Virus for one will sort it, but you need to use Windows 'Unistall Programs' first to remove 'Top Text'.

Full details on the Symantec site.

securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/a...l

To be pedantic, it's not a virus as it has to be installed, and it doesn't replicate itself.
Virus warning - Obsolete
In todays Independent their tech guru recommend on security grounds that people avoid Windows and use Linux or the latest Mac OS. Can't say I know whether or not this is good advice.
Virus warning - Derfel
Ezula is an Adware program and can only be removed by Norton products that cover Expanded Threats which means AntiVirus 2004.

There is an excellent program called Adaware which is free for personal use that will remove Adware/Spyware components from your PC. It is a 1.7MB download from:

www.lavasoftusa.com/

Adaware is updated very regularly in much the same manner as Norton and also scans in similar manner. It is a good, stable program and usually finds something when run weekly.

Hope this is helpful: Happy New Year to all.
Virus warning - Clanger
A minor correction if you don't mind.

Ad-aware does its job by the user running the program on request, or making it run at startup, when it will deal with cookies that send your surfing preferences and possibly credit card details and passwords to outside agencies. You can ask for updates but it emphatically does not catch stuff on the fly like Norton.
For that to happen you need to excercise the credit card and install Ad-watch from the same company.
Mine runs on startup and usually catches between 6 and 15 undesirable cookies. I once ran it for a friend and it found 254 cookies.

Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Virus warning - malteser
I am paranoid too!
I use adaware, spybot search & destroy, spyware blaster, @winspy and tracks eraser pro.,which can erase hidden index.dat files(amongst others), which Windows secretly amasses.
Tracks Eraser isn\'t free but can be found at......

I\'ve removed the reference to the fileshare site for two reasons. Firstly, we can\'t really condone software piracy here. Secondly (and more importantly) that site will only continue to flourish if it remains \"underground\". The more people that use it, the more pressure there will be to shut it down and I don\'t want my supply of pirated software to dry up!

I shall leave you all to decide which cheek my tongue was in when typing that second one.....

No Dosh.
DVD\'s. Multi-region. - THe Growler
Question regarding DVD\'s. I want to send my daughter in UK some. Here at Tower Records they run P7-800 (£7.36 - £8.62) for first run movies, let\'s say Harry Potter, LOTR, etc, which I believe is a bit cheaper than UK. I can get them pirated cheaper on the street of course but maybe some UK Customs guy is going to give the shipment a hard time.

She has a DVD player which is multi-region but a regular UK TV. DVD\'s here are Region 3 & NTSC, will they play on her TV or does she need a JVC? I understand all JVC\'s are multi-system PAL/NTSC from the factory (mine here is).

Second, I can get all these on Video CD\'s cheaper, say P150-250 (£1.58 - £2.63) for a slight loss of quality plus of course with VCD\'s you need 2 discs for the movie. Will her regular CD player play VCD\'s through her TV? Again mine does, but I don\'t know about UK. Both my PC\'s also play VCD\'s from the CD-ROM drive via Windows Media Player but don\'t know about UK.

Any wisdom out there on the above would be gratefully received.

DVD\'s. Multi-region. - smokie
I\'m no expert, but my understanding is that most DVD players are PAL/NTSC but not all are multi region. However, if hers is multi region AND PAL.NTSC then it will play on whatever TV is connected.

VCDs seem to be a common format supported by nearly all more recent DVD players. There is a useful list here www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers.php where you can check compatibility by brand and model.
DVD\'s. Multi-region. - Welliesorter
I\'ve had a Wharefedale DVD-750 (one of the first cheapish DVD players to hit the UK market) for several years. It\'s multi-region and will happily play back PAL and NTSC DVDs on a PAL TV. I believe not all DVD players will do this, and some do it less well than others, so you need to know the exact model of player and do a bit of research. You could try the forums at www.dvd.reviewer.co.uk .

Video CDs have no region coding and will play in most (but not all) DVD players. CD players that will also play video CDs are rare: I\'ve only ever heard of one and that was a portable. Maybe these are common in Asia because the VCD format is popular there. The only VCDs I\'ve seen for sale in the UK are magazine cover discs. Presumably this was because they\'re cheaper to produce than DVDs. I\'m not sure how the PAL v NTSC issue affects VCDs, if it does.

You should be able to play VCDs on any old PC, using a DVD player application, Windows Media Player or one of many other players.

I\'ve only rarely bought DVDs from overseas. I ordered from a Canadian web site because they didn\'t charge for postage. I seem to remember this being important because HM Customs aren\'t interested in packages below a certain value. It wouldn\'t have been a good idea to use companies that did charge for postage: to make this economic would have necessitated placing an order for several in one go, taking the value of the package over the amount that would have caused customs to take an interest.

Finally, if your daughter is thinking of buying a new player she doesn\'t necessarily need to spend a lot of money. Often, the cheaper players have more features (eg MP3 playback and jpeg photo slide viewing) than the expensive one.
DVD\'s. Multi-region. - Welliesorter
...thinking about it, it might just be simpler to send some discs and see if they work!
DVD\'s. Multi-region. - Phoenicks
a few people i am aware of have brought dvds back from the far east of dubious origin. no problems at all through customs.

Regards the TV, i dont think it matters. It matters what signal the DVD reads, and if it switches automatically the TV should play it as a normal signal. If there are any differences to this most TV\'s upto 5 years old have a dual PAL/NTSC ability. I\'ve never had a problem with foreign dvds and PAL/NTSC changes. Should be absolutely fine

The VCD\'s may not play on the CD or DVD. Its worth checking the spec. PC should play them fine over here.
DVD\'s. Multi-region. - Phil I
G Go to
www3.cd-wow.com

Prices include delivery and are almost as cheap as Tower Records.
Worth a look. Have used them for about 7/8 months find service excellent.

Happy New year to you and Gr.
DVD\'s. Multi-region. - Dynamic Dave
I tend to use www.find-dvd.co.uk for buying DVD\'s. It is a search engine that sources out the cheapest DVD\'s in the UK.
DVD's. Multi-region. - DavidHM
I believe that most DVD players will happily play NTSC discs on a PAL TV. But there is probably always one TV or player that will prove me wrong.

I definitely recommend cd-wow, who are at least as reliable and nearly as quick as a UK supplier. My price comparison is done by www.dealtime.co.uk for most things.

And as for a player? I don't think that you can do better, as a budget choice, than the Acoustic Solutions model I bought from Richer Sounds for £59.99 and which is now a good deal cheaper.
Timeshare - topaktas
Bit of a long shot, but does anyone have any experience of/advice on selling a timeshare? We have one which we haven't used for years, and I'd like to get rid of it.
Cheap digital Cameras - PhilW
My son, who has a limited budget, is dead set on a digital camera for "happy snappy" shots. His limit is £100. Has anyone any experience of good value cameras at this price? He keeps ringing me for advice but I know NOTHING about them - I'm still using my Pentax ME Super I bought in 1981!
Thanks in advance

P.S. I've done a forum search but the only posts I can find are on more expensive cameras.
Cheap digital Cameras - kennybase
I bought one just before Xmas from Dixons. Usually I go for higher priced camera, but there was a Fuji A405, 2.1MP (but could be enhanced to 4MP) with 3x Optical Zoom for £100!

Having seen the quality of the pictures I can now recommend it highly - OK you won't find top photographers using it, but for someone on a limited budget, its ideal.

Also, the XD Memory sticks that it uses seem very cheap - on the internet not on the high street!

It comes with lead to connect it to the PC, software to get you connected, 16Mb memory stick, 2xAA batteries, and of course, the camera!

Cheap digital Cameras - SteveH42
Yes, the A405 is a decent camera - we got one for my sister and the results are pretty good. Unfortunately, it has now gone back up to £150 so unless they have it on offer again you are a bit stuck. I've seen the A203 and A205S on offer for £100 which are the same spec.

A couple of comments though: The A405 (and I assume the similar Fuji cameras) is *very* basic. Press-to-snap delay is quite long - I'd guess about a second from pressing the shutter to the picture taking so it's a bit useless for action shots. There also didn't appear to be a continuous shooting mode although I didn't have that much of a chance to play and find out. Movies are limited to 60 seconds but are decent enough and take about 10Mb/min. I found that in decent light conditions you actually got better results in doors without the flash, but again YMMV. We did get some pictures printed at Asda on 7x5 and the quality was very good.

If you can go a little higher, the Canon A60 seems a very good camera and uses the cheaper CF cards and slightly higher still there is the Olympus C350 which is 3MP as against 2MP for the others.

Cheaper cameras can be a bit of a minefield - I got an Oregon Scientific one before Christmas for £100 but it was a little bit useless. There are a lot of sub-£100 ones around but you really do need to be careful. I also looked at the Kodak CX6200 but found the Fuji was easier to use and gave better results as well as having an optical zoom for just £20 more.
Hand held GPS - drbe
Advice sought.

I am looking to buy a hand-held GPS receiver. The make/model which has caught my eye is the Garmin etrex GPS.

Which model should I go for? The range runs from the bog-standard Etrex at £95 'ish to the Vista at arond £270. Is it worth paying the extra?

This bit of kit is intended for mainly off-road use. I mean, walking in the UK and Europe and is intended to assist my navigation.

Any help gratefully received.

Don drbe
Hand held GPS - No Do$h
I was out cycling in the purbecks recently with a friend who had brought along his Garmin. When we were 10yds (the dry side) back from the cliff edge enjoying a snack and taking in the view it showed us as being 20yds out to sea. Alarming when it gave a height of over 100ft!

That said, my neighbours are keen walkers and often organise GPS treasure hunts, with small items hidden in sealed boxes in remote locations. The locations are typically in the middle of nowhere, with nothing to aid you in finding the box except the GPS. Despite this, they always get found!

I shall have a chat with them and report back on the views of the walkers in their club.
Hand held GPS - Obsolete
I have the basic etrex which gives me a grid reference which I use for recording the location of fungi (yes really!). It means that I can find the location on a map, and it can be recorded in a national database. It can also be used to mark a path so that I can find my way back without getting lost.

I guess the question is what do you want to do with it. I beleive that the fancy ones have maps.

BTW The SAS use these things as part of their kit!