What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Ford Mondeo Zetec Mark 3 - Manufactured Dec 2006 - Car Interior Motor Running Sound - Galaxy

I have recently purchased this vehicle.

I have noticed that when I turn on the ignition but don't start the car I can hear something like a small motor running. This sound is very quiet and is coming from somewhere behind the dashboard, but it is definitely there.

This may-well be completely normal and absolutely nothing to be concerened about. However, before I take it any further, could someone who has a similar vehicle have a listen and let me know whether they can detect a similar sound, please?

Please note that the sound described is certainly not the electric fuel pump; this make a totally different sound and comes from a totally different place. I do know what that sounds like! The sound which I'm talking about sounds like one of those small servo motors running all the time, though, of course, it could be something completely different which is producing it.

This sound appears with the climate control switched "OFF" and the ignition switched "ON" It's difficult to tell whether it's still there once the engine has been started, but, from what I can determine, I believe that it is.

If it's completely normal can anyone possibly tell me what's making this sound, please?

Many Thanks

Edited by Galaxy on 10/05/2013 at 12:35

Ford Mondeo Zetec Mark 3 - Manufactured Dec 2006 - Car Interior Motor Running Sound - elekie&a/c doctor

It is probably the aspirator fan for the in car temp sensor.It is located behind a small vent in the lower underdash panel,driver side.It is perfectly normal,but may sound a little noisy if it is covered with dust /dirt.hth

Ford Mondeo Zetec Mark 3 - Manufactured Dec 2006 - Car Interior Motor Running Sound - Galaxy

Thank you for your valued reply, elekie&a/c doctor.

I know from your previous posts that you have extensive experience of working in this sort of areas of vehicles and, in fact, when I posted my question, you were the Forum Member who I had hoped would reply!

Your answer does make perfect sense and I'm sure is 100% correct.

I'm still trying to get to grips with all this modern technology in cars, I'm afraid. Had the car for about three weeks, now, and I'm still finding new toys and options every day!

Thank you once again, your reply is greatly appreciated.