What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
03 1.9 Cambelt change - but what else at same time - uksant
Dear Backroomers

A4 1.9 TDi (130) is due cambelt change (second change at 100K miles) but what else should be changed at same time?
I recall reading about things like tensioner, other belts, water pump etc etc.
Which ones are 'strongly recommended' and which are 'you might as well use the opportunity to change...'?

Many Thanks
03 1.9 Cambelt change - but what else at same time - 659FBE
Cambelt, tensioner, relay roller (the little one below the tensioner), water pump (fit a pattern one with metal impeller), serpentine belt. Change these without question.

Make a very careful check of the serpentine belt tensioner and check or preferably replace the alternator pulley. If you have had 100k miles' worth of use from this pulley and its one-way drive, I'd change it.

Finally, check the A/C drive belt and tensioner for condition and check also that the 14 AF nut on the compressor clutch shaft is tight.

It all sounds a lot, but there is very little on-cost in labour whilst the front is pulled to gain access. These engines will do starship mileages if the routine maintenance is good. Dealers never address their weak points.

Edited by 659FBE on 12/02/2009 at 19:22

03 1.9 Cambelt change - but what else at same time - uksant
Many thanks, 659 - exactly the info I was looking for
03 1.9 Cambelt change - but what else at same time - adverse camber
I would add - check the radiator and the rad hoses while they are exposed. The supports for the rad used to have a lump of foam that held water against the rad and led to corrosion failure. While the front end is off is a good time to check this carefully.

And the bearing on the fan (assuming the b6 is like the b5 with the viscous fan)

Edited by adverse camber on 13/02/2009 at 08:43