What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Leaky Focus - Adam {P}
Hi everyone,
I was cleaning the inside of the car yesterday (inside because it was raining) and I noticed in the passenger footwell, what looks like a heater vent, a tiny amount of water tricking down.

The footwell isn't wet but there is definitely water getting in somewhere. The 'vent' isn't actually a vent because I had a feel inside and it's solid - I can just about reach over the top and can feel a little water but not enough to constitute a flood. However, I want to get it sorted so that the car isn't immersed in water one morning.

I shoved an sock (the same colour as the interior (lucky)) in the gap which today is completely wet but rather there than the carpet. I can't see anything more above this vent so,

Any ideas please?

Many thanks
--
Adam
Leaky Focus - Dynamic Dave
Check the pollen filter cover is secure.
Leaky Focus - Adam {P}
I tried looking for it but...I'm ashamed to say can't find it.

On the fiesta, it was on the passenger side just under the winscreen but on this I can't find anything that looks remotely like a pollen filter.
--
Adam
Leaky Focus - Snakey
This is a known problem with Focii, as DD says its most likely the pollen filter housing which is the black plastic shield that covers the area where the wiper arms sit in. If this isnt installed with a sealing strip it leaks into the cabin.

Ford seem to have put the strip on recently but it still leaks. I have a 98 focus which leaked until I put the strip in and also an 02 focus which had the strip in and still leaked! Much layers of sealing tape and a dab or two of silicone sorted it out
I tried looking for it but...I'm ashamed to say can't find
it.

Details of where it is here:-

www.puravent.co.uk/products%20frameset.htm

Leaky Focus - Adam {P}
Thank you both very much.

I have to go and play taxi now but when I get back I shall have a fiddle with it.

Here comes the paranoia. Let's just say it's been leaking under the carpet for years. What should I do? What Can I do? The carpet's never been wet and if I hadn't been in the footwell yesterday with a torch, I would never have seen it.

Thanks for your help guys
--
Adam
Leaky Focus - Adam {P}
Well - I had a play and I'm sure you know what's coming:

YES - I BROKE SOMETHING!

The cowl that forms a seal from the windscreen to a drain and covers the pollen filter won't sit right. It looks fine untll you look at the gap between that and the windscreen. (about half a centimetre. The centre scew which more than likely would seal that gap isn't tightening and try as I might, I cannot get it to grip onto the plastic. The other two grip fine and are quite tight.

For the time being, I've put some waterproof tape over it to stop the water but of course that's only a temporary fix.

Any help...PLEASE
--
Adam
Leaky Focus - Snakey
Sounds like the clip underneath the cowl might have snapped when you took it off - this happened to me as well. The clips are only a pound or so from your Ford dealer. I buy a few spares whenever I change the pollen filter now!
Leaky Focus - AR-CoolC
To remove the scuttle cover without damaging the clips, the trick is to remove the centre screw, release the clips on the bulkhead side, slide your fingers under the front edge to release the adhesive tape, then slide the whole panel towards the centre of the car, this leaves the clips in the bodywork. Remove the clip from the bobywork by pushing in the little bur type clips on either side, and then slide those back into the scutle cover before re-fitting.
(Glass-Tech)
Leaky Focus - henry k
>> I tried looking for it but...I'm ashamed to say can't find it.
Details of where it is here:->>
www.puravent.co.uk/products%20frameset.htm

I know it is an old item but link failed.
>>
tinyurl.com/dw2ux for Focus

Or for
ALFA ROMEO ISUZU MG SKODA
AUDI JAGUAR MITSUBISHI SUBARU
BMW JEEP NISSAN SUZUKI
CHRYSLER KIA PEUGEOT TOYOTA
CITROEN LANDROVER PORSCHE VAUXHALL
FIAT LEXUS RENAULT VOLKSWAGEN
FORD MAZDA ROVER VOLVO
HONDA MERCEDES BENZ SAAB
HYUNDAI MCC SEAT

Try
www.puravent.co.uk/filters/display_static_page.pl?...m

Adam,

Check your inbox. Someone has asked me to pass some data onto you, regarding how to do this job.

DD.
Leaky Focus - Adam {P}
Yet again I'm impressed by everyone's knowledge and their effort in helping me.

I can't try it now because it's raining but tomorrow I shall give it a whirl.

Many many thanks for all your help - I shall post my results tomorrow.

Dave, check your inbox.

Cheers

--
Adam
Leaky Focus UPDATE - Adam {P}
***UPDATE***

I began fixing the car based on all of your helpful information but my Dad whisked it off to his mate who does all things windscreens. He knew about the Focus and resealed it. Because it hasn't rained since, I havent been able to check if it's worked but I'm hoping so.

However - and this is a big big however. I was vacuuming the car yesterday and I lifted the driver's mat up. Water just dripped down from the mat. "Uh-oh" I think - and put my hand on the carpet. Sodden would be a huge understatement. I put my hand on the carpet firmly and water squelched up all around my hand. "No no no no no" I was shouting to myself and lifted the little plate where the VIN number is. Underwater. So I get Mum's hairdryer and whack it on full blast, leave all the windows open all day and go back to it this morning.

Hardly any difference so I decide to go one step further. I pulled away the carpet (surprisingly easy) and the underlay (God knows what the car equivalent is!) had practically glued itself to the carpet. I wadded about 3 loo rolls underneath and all around and went at it with the hairdryer again.

It's definitely working but all of the metal underneath is wet so I keep going back to dry it. The windows are open as I speak. I'm hoping that it's a result of the cowl being taken apart and put back together again OR, my preventative measures for the dam on the passenger side (a sock) and somehow the water has diverted. I don't see how the water has got in any other way because the screen is sealed and before it get's anywhere near the bonnet, there are holes anyway.

Thanks for your help and I shall keep you informed.

BTW, I'm horribly allergic to the underside of the carpet - it's hard but has millions of little fibres on it. My arm is itching like crazy.

Thanks
--
Adam
UPDATE

Right - I don't want to sound too optimistic but it was raining quite heavily last night and the carpet doesn't appear to be wet.

I'm hoping that it's fixed.

Can I just thank everyone who posted and helped me with this potentially disasterous problem.

Many thanks,
--
Adam
It worked by the way. A year on and dry as a bone.

Thanks again.
Leaky Focus UPDATE - ChrisV
Adam,
Thanks for the update,
This part of your post
"However - and this is a big big however. I was vacuuming the car yesterday and I lifted the driver's mat up. Water just dripped down from the mat. "Uh-oh" I think - and put my hand on the carpet. Sodden would be a huge understatement. I put my hand on the carpet firmly and water squelched up all around my hand. "No no no no no" I was shouting to myself and lifted the little plate where the VIN number is. Underwater. So I get Mum's hairdryer and whack it on full blast, leave all the windows open all day and go back to it this morning. "
sounds VERY familiar!
This looks like a likely cause, if I can't get it to seal I may need some tips.
Thanks
Chris
Hi Chris,

Mine was sealed using what looked like black putty and that was it. Try your local RAC/Auto Windscreens place to seal it. I wouldn't bother drying it until the leak is plugged though.

The carpet fortunately pulls up very easily to dry. I'd do what I did and shove as much toilet roll whilst drying it with a hairdryer as you can.

In retrospect, a long drive with the aircon on full heat in the footwells would have been better (and more fun!).

If you have any problems, just ask.

Adam
Leaky Focus UPDATE - ChrisV
Adam,
Thanks for the info, this is obviously the place to start. I have got some of the black seal and a couple of the clips so will try to sort it out in the next few days.
Chris
Leaky Focus UPDATE - Stevo112
Hi people,
I have a Y reg Focus and need advice on how best to dry out the carpet.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has their passenger playing in a private paddling pool!

I've had the problem before, most noticeably when I park with the front nearside as the highest point, but a garage thought removing some leaves might fix the problem (ah, bless 'em!). Last week I parked it with the front nearside upslope again (Doh!), it proper rained for a while (gotta love the Lake District in July!) and my Girlfriend was treated to a foot bath in the car when we got back to it!

Help! The car's going to ford dealer this week to be looked at, they agreed with me that it's likely the pollen filter and said it'd be around £55 all in to fix. OK, I guess I'll have to stick this cost, as I've had leaky cars before (renaults love the rain in my humble experience!) and don't want another. How do I best dry out my sodden carpets and 'underlay'? I can't leave the doors open where it's parked, removing the carpet seems like a monster of a job, and besides I don't want to play with removing front seats and seat belt bolts. I can remove some of the plastic surrounds by the doors and force my hand under but this seems like a lot of effort for not much return.

Efficient and effective suggestions requested please. (Stuff it - ANY decent suggestions please!)

Ste