What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
What is the benefit of Super Unleaded? - Benet
My wife has a ten year old Honda Shuttle (2.3 VTEC). She always puts in the cheapest petrol and was quite cross when I treated the motor to Super Unleaded fuel. But isn't better fuel supposed to help old engines? Can anyone explain the technical difference that justifies the price difference in the petrol? Cheers
What is the benefit of Super Unleaded? - LikedDrivingOnce
The benefit of Super Unleaded is that the fuel company makes bigger profits.

There is a good layman's explanation about fuel types here:
www.petrolprices.com/about-fuel.html

....and here:
tinyurl.com/kn4jgv link to wiki.answers.com shortened to restore page width to normal

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 13/07/2009 at 01:10

What is the benefit of Super Unleaded? - MikeTorque
It depends on which brand of Super Unleaded that is used. If, for example, BP Ultimate or Shell V Power is used then an engine may well benefit from their stronger cleaning agents compared with a brand that only adds an octane improver. BP Ultimate is proven to increase mpg per tankful in like for like driving conditions.

Super Unleaded will provide increased performance for many engines/cars but some drivers/people don't appreciate the benefits.
What is the benefit of Super Unleaded? - mike hannon
My Prelude Vtec definitely does a few more mpg on 98 unleaded although it runs perfectly happily on 95. I use 98 all the time here in France but it's only a cent or two per litre dearer than 95.

ps: IMHO an old Honda engine equals the engine in any newer but ordinary car...

Edited by mike hannon on 13/07/2009 at 07:20

What is the benefit of Super Unleaded? - Mapmaker
Certain high performance cars change the mixture when they detect higher-octane fuel. As such, they run better on the higher octane "super unleaded".

Otherwise, it's like the difference between buying Persil and Tesco's own brand washing powder. Who knows...
What is the benefit of Super Unleaded? - Benet
That is a really interesting answer - along with all the others, thanks a lot everyone. As it was Tesco Super Unleaded at least I can now reassure the missus by telling her it is supplied by Greenenergy and therefore kinder to the environment! B.
What is the benefit of Super Unleaded? - ifithelps
... I shall try this stuff for a while and monitor its cost effect at least. As for performance, I can't say but it certainly felt better on a subjective level anyway....

Humph,

We'll get you on the Millers yet.

I reckon super diesel or Millers is worthwhile in older engines - it worked in my last Focus.

Not sure that I'm getting the same benefit with the CC3.
What is the benefit of Super Unleaded? - nick
Forget superunleaded, what you need is one of these:
tinyurl.com/mn5dqg

If I fit two, will I gain 70bhp? :-)

Edited by nick on 14/07/2009 at 11:32

What is the benefit of Super Unleaded? - MVP
My test of the quality of fuel is the run up the A3 onto the Hoggs Back at Guildford.

If I have good fuel I can poodle up at 55 ish in 5th gear, if the fuel is poor quality I have to downshift to 4th.

What HJ says is correct, the biggest difference I can detect is the improved torque at low revs.

MVP