What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Potential problems with low-mileage Focus. - Hector Brocklebank
I've posted this in 'Technical Matters' but perhaps it's better here.

Recently inherited Grandfather's '01 (Y) Focus 1.8 zetec petrol. 11,000 miles, garaged most of its life, FSH. Only done 500 miles pa since 2002.

My concerns:
1. Doesn't run very smoothly and lots of condensation from exhaust.
2. Original tyres (2000 manufacture), too old?
3. Still on its original cam belt.
4. Disks are a bit rusty, brake fluid last changed 2005.
5. No ABS.
6. Reg 04/01 so liable to VED rises.

Any other potential causes for concern?
Will engine and breaks improve with use?
Advice?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Pugugly on 14/12/2008 at 21:44

Potential problems with low-mileage focus. - Rattle
Get an oil change done, change them tyres and that cambelt, basically anything rubber well be aged.

Condensation is probably all that water left in the exhaust due to short runs.
Potential problems with low-mileage focus. - Hector Brocklebank
Get an oil change done change them tyres and that cambelt basically anything rubber well
be aged.

The car is due its annual service in March. Should I wait until then, bearing in mind it will be doing nearly 1k miles a month?

Edited by Wilfred Owen on 14/12/2008 at 21:43

Potential problems with low-mileage focus. - oldnotbold
Rear wheel bearings will go at/above 50k. About £75/side.
Potential problems with low-mileage focus. - Rattle
When did it last have the MOT? It might be worth getting it serviced now for your piece of mind, as its basically been setting there the brakes might not be working as they should etc.

My worry is this car has never really been warmed up and it might mean future problems but I am not qualified to say, either way a free Focus is always a bargain :)
Potential problems with low-mileage focus. - LondonBus
Bearing in mind you've not paid anything for it, would it not be sensible to get the car throughly serviced in terms of the bits which suffer from age - e.g. rubber?
Potential problems with low-mileage focus. - M.M
I guess with that low mileage and always garaged it is imacculate in/out therefore well worth looking after on the mechanical side?

As it's going from 40 to 1000 miles a month I'd have the work done now. In my experience the most likely time for a timing belt to snap is between the time you think it ought to be done and the proposed change date!! Tyres ideally should be changed now or examined by an expert at the least.

Good luck with it.

David
Potential problems with low-mileage Focus. - Hector Brocklebank
So the best course of action is a thorough service a.s.a.p. (oil, filter, cambelt, brakes). What about tyres though? Do they fall under the 'urgent' banner too?

Also, what potential problems could arise with age, considering the car went years without a warm run?
Potential problems with low-mileage Focus. - Rattle
Just replace the tyres it is really not worth the risk at all. They are legal but when it comes to the law and tyres nothing really makes any sense I mean 1.6mm of thread! You will probably need to spend a good £500-£600 on getting everything in right including the cambelt but you car is worth a lot more than that so its worth it.

Potential problems with low-mileage Focus. - Rob E
I agree with the above comments. A full service, change of tyres and cambelt will pay dividends. The car will drive much better after that too. Take it for a long run to fully blow it out, too, (probably safest after the service).

In my experience, don't worry. I think cars are generally a lot hardier than you think, and there's no reason why it won't be a really good, reliable car. It just needs a bit of tlc (now, not later) and, like all cars, needs to be driven! Just don't skimp on getting this maintenance done, it needs doing now.

Good luck with it, Rob
Potential problems with low-mileage Focus. - Avant
As you've probably gathered from the other thread, the tyres are actually the most urgent need. Then a full service unless 'FSH' means that it was serviced on a time basis.

If the condensation from the exhaust is there only when the engine is cold, no bother: but if it's all the time it needs attention as it could be coolant coming out.
Potential problems with low-mileage Focus. - Blue {P}
My gran's car is exactly the same, 51 reg Focus 1.6 with 15K on, it does about 1500 per year (she bought it used with some miles already on the clock)

A couple of months ago we changed all the tyres on her's as the old ones were cracking and shoing signs of weathering. Apart from that she has it serviced once a year and I normally borrow it for about two weeks per year during which time it gets a good thrashing.

I would just service it (including the spark plugs), change the tyres and then take it for a really good run to clear everything out, make sure that you go right up to the red line several times once it's fully warmed up.

The car will most likely be fine and won't suffer any low mileage problems.

Potential problems with low-mileage Focus. - Andrew-T
I would only add that the brake discs may be corroding, most likely where you can't see - but the MoT should find that.