C5 HDI - paddleman
Just bought a 52 plate C5 HDi (SX I think!)No Cruise control or Sport mode but got Digital climate control and computer. I've had it 12 days now and my problem at the moment is I can't get the thing to go into reverse in the morning!! I'ts ok during the day tho again if I leave it for 7 or so hours I again can't readly get reverse. I'm getting paranoid about it now. I didn't buy the car from a franchised dealer and only have 28 days warranty. I'm thinking of taking it to a citreon dealer but was wondering if anyone out there with a C5 had a similar problem.
I do like the car... for the money its fantastic.. I just need it to go into reverse now and again!
C5 HDI - machika
Use the warranty before it runs out. Sounds a measly warranty though, whoever the dealer is.
C5 HDI - DavidHM
The warranty is in addition to your statutory rights, not instead of them.

Any fault that occurs within the first six months will be deemed to have been present at the time of purchase, unless the dealer can show otherwise on the balance of probabilities. Further, the car has to be of satisfactory quality and fit for purpose under the Sale of Goods Act - if you can't reverse it, I'd say it's neither, unless you bought it with that fault or it was a superbanger with a couple of minutes' MoT left (clearly not the case with a three year old car like this).

Agreed though - use the warranty first and if you still get no joy, come back for more advice.
C5 HDI - Collos25
Having had two C5 hdi's I would hazard a bet the clutch and pressure plate are on the way out a common problem on early c5(see HJ car by car breakdown)It is a normally a pressure plate fault which results in a big bang as it self distructs for no apparent reason.I have never known an actual gearbox problem.But take it back because if it is not sorted the plate if it does fail can cause all sorts of other ancillary damage ,first motion shaft,flywheel and bell housing.
C5 HDI - paddleman
Thanks guys.. I'm taking the car to a franchised dealer first to give it a once over. As I said I like the car But it sure is different from anything I've driven before. A totally diferent style of driving required.
C5 HDI - BobbyG
Did you not test drive the car? Or was it an auction purchase?
C5 HDI - Mondaywoe
Could be the clutch, but my one (very early - 2001 build) has done 53,000 miles without any clutch problems whatsoever. I know this is mentioned in HJ's review but I haven't come across anyone on the C5 forums that has mentioned this spectacular break up happening. In fact I think it even dates back to HDI Xantias and the assumption might be that C5 would follow suit - but not much evidence to suggest this.

If reverse is proving difficult to engage and especially if there is no rasping I'd suggest getting the gear linkage cables checked. They can be adjusted, but early models also had a glitch with the rubber gaiter below the gear handle fouling the side of the centre console - a modified gaiter should have been fitted under warranty. Try pulling up the vinyl gaiter (it just pops out of the centre console) You'll see the rubber gaiter below - check that it hasn't got itself in a twist! As I say though, the cables can also be adjusted or replaced (again, I think there is a modification available with slightly longer/shorter cables)

Early C5s (mine included)had lots of upgrades under warranty. The problem was that some of them would only be carried out 'if the customer complained'. If properly sorted, however, an early C5 can be as good as the newer models.

Hope it's a simple as this but your warranty should cover this, however basic. Use it quickly - especially if the clutch proves to be the culprit!

Do let us know what it turns out to be.

Graeme
C5 HDI - Vincent de Marco
If properly sorted, however, an early C5 can be as good as the newer models.

As if by magic ... ? No can do, I'm afraid. Unless of course we're talking the 'Phase I' range.
- - - - - - -
I am the only Pole over here.
C5 HDI - Mondaywoe
I was really thinking 'phase 1', but having said that, I would not have thought there was much difference (apart from cosmetic changes) between a 'good' phase 1 and a phase 2. Be delighted to hear of any substantial improvements though.

Graeme
C5 HDI - Citroënian {P}
Graham,

You mention C5 forums - are there Citroen forums worth visiting? I've yet to find one for our C4 and our BiL has now got a C5 so would be worth knowing if there are

Thanks,
Lee

--Lee .. sorry, the card says Moops.
C5 HDI - Timaru
autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/C5-L/

Hope this helps.
C5 HDI - Mondaywoe
That's the one! Excellent forum for all things C5.

Graeme
C5 HDI - Citroënian {P}
Thanks both, duly enrolled!
--Lee .. sorry, the card says Moops.