What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? Vol 1 - carl_a
This thread now locked due to the number of replies. This scintillating debate continues here: www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=24510. ND

It seems that sales figure for this month arn\'t going to be good for MG-Rover according to
news.ft.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=FT.com/...7

The company can\'t last to much longer if sales continue this way, so what would back roomers do to save the company ?
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - Sooty Tailpipes
A bit radical I know, but why don't they bring out a modern car, instead of 10-15 year old average cars with boy-tacer plastic bits stuck on?

They'd be better with one decent car, maybe two.
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - NowWheels
The company can't last to much longer if sales continue this
way, so what would back roomers do to save the company?

I thought that this way was saving the company. Run down the car-making, sell off related assets, and let the company survive as a property-holding business or whatever else it does.
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - Hugo {P}
IMO Rover have been very slow, maybe due to development funding issues, to keep up with trends, for example, where's Rover's answer to the Galaxy or Sharan etc, or even the Picasso? This £100m they've raised would be put to far better use in this direction.

Since the days of Land Rover being part of the group, they don't seem to have a sniff at 4 wheel drive. I suspect the technology's there. The just seem to think that their model range will carry them through. I suspect not.

Hugo
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - billy25
hmm! i`ve been studying the "ads" lately, but i think that they may make some additional money if thier dealers registered them in this country before loading them on to that ferry!!. :-)
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - Quinny100
I think MG Rover are now living on borrowed time. They have not developed a single new vehicle since they were taken over - I don't class stick on bodykits or importing Indian junk as developing a new vehicle.

Rover have effectively stood still since they left BMW, during which time car have become a whole lot more advanced and improved. Given their financial position, without massive capital input, they will never catch up - everyone is at the very least 5 years ahead of them.

New cars take money to develop, but they also take time. The much rumoured new medium sized car seems to be all hot air, and if they've been developing it for so long its probably well out of date by now anyway.

I can't ever see Rover getting back into the mainstream as a producer of a full range of modern cars. So where do they go?

The MG brand is still alive, and in the right hands could do very well. There is scope for MG to be taken over and used as a sportscar arm for another manufacturer.

Rover could maybe continue producing what it has now for less developed foreign markets - but I doubt their infrastructure as it stands would be able to do this successfully due to cost. For this to work they'd have to produce in the countries they were supplying.

There is little chance of another motor company taking over Rover as a whole - they've got nothing other than the badge to offer.
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - Thommo
Oohhh.

Can see this thread leading to trouble. Anyway in head first as usual.

Towers and go have taken a hug lump of wedge off BMW, ring fenced a chunk of it so they won't starve when things go belly up and are using the rest to prolong the life of a failing business. When the BMW cash runs out its goodnight.

Even if there was something worth buying left the big hole in the pension fund means the sensible will stay away.

Sorry but thats how I see it.
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - Altea Ego
100 million? you think a brand new car can be developed for 100 million?

Question is - Should Rover be saved?

MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - LeePower
Another big car company should take them over, How about Toyota?

They have lots of money & we could end up with a Rover that doesnt fall to bits or breaks down.
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - mare
MG Rover are not allowed to develop 4x4 in case it clashes with Land Rover.
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - mfarrow
MG Rover are not allowed to develop 4x4 in case it
clashes with Land Rover.

Well, they probably have a lot of problems with the design restrictions of building a Land-Rover. It would have to be entirely original.

Somebody said the technology must still be there. Yes, true, it is, but it is now sitting comfortably at Gaydon in the loving arms of Ford's PAG. This is also where all the patents were transfered to. So MG Rover would have to buy rights from Ford, and I can't see Rover doing or Ford letting them do, that!
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - teabelly
The 75 is a good car and so is its brother the mg zt. The problem is with the smaller cars. The market for those is just too competative. If I were them I'd do the 75, the mg version of it, the mid size mgzs (make it a lot faster though) and improve the mgf. Throw the rest of the cars away as they're either old, over priced or out classed by the competition.

Everyone and their dog are doing cheap superminis and mpvs. Rover need to create a market segment that doesn't exist yet eg 4x4 2 seater sports car with decent practical boot.
teabelly
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - Sooty Tailpipes
The most sensible thing for them to do is anglicise Hondas, just like they used to.
Even if they were given the money to develop a new model, it would not be as cost effective as what all the other manufacturers are doing which is to make the same car with different branding,

e.g Punto & corsa
Galaxy & Sharan
Vectra and Saab 9-5
Mondeo & Jaguar

etc...

What they need to do is get the Honda, build them here, and make them less Japanese in the styling dept.
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - Burnout2
MGR has no future as a volume manufacturer, and nothing short of a truly massive injection of capital investment (which isn't going to materialise) will change that fact. In five years time, I expect the remains of the business to be producing niche models - MG sports cars of some kind - at volumes of <50k units/pa.
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - Ivor E Tower
Er, they had their chance with Honda a couple of decades ago, but decided to go with BMW instead of developing the Honda relationship more. The biggest problem that MG-Rover have got now, and have had for a long time, is bad management especially at the top (believe me, I used to work for a tier 1 automotive supplier and came into contact with a few "managers"). Instead of pouring money into facelifted versions of old designs, they should have concentrated on developing a rival to the Focus, but with a better, more luxurious interior. The SV is an irrelevance and has distracted engineering effort and investent from where it should have been going. What with selling off their land, parts distribution business etc I fear that time is fast running out for them, and the UK (and Europe) can survive quite happily without Rover. I wish their employees good luck, because I am sure that they are going to need it.....
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - Robin Reliant
Rover are stuck with a bit of an image problem. It's not a name that makes the pulse race, and nothing in their range is either bold or exciting. They are looked on as something of a cardigan and slippers company, most of their buyers probably qualify for Saga insurance.

They were widely perceived to have made a mistake when they ditched Honda for BMW, and I seem to remember Big H were quite upset about it at the time. The two things that could have saved them are gone, Ford own Land Rover and when BMW ditched them they pinched the Mini.

Shame that we may lose the last volume manufacturer of our own, but we were never much good at mass car production anyway. We thought we were till the foreign competition got serious and showed how it should be done.
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - mare
The most sensible thing for them to do is anglicise Hondas,
just like they used to.
Even if they were given the money to develop a new
model, it would not be as cost effective as what all
the other manufacturers are doing which is to make the same
car with different branding,
e.g Punto & corsa

Punto and Corsa separated at birth?? Well i never!
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - Sofa Spud

Here's what I wrote in a previous thread about what I'd do to rescue MG Rover, if (and it's a big if!) there was sufficient cash backing:

I'd be pitching new MG Rover models at VW in terms of image, quality and price.

I'd make the MG and Rover cars more different, sharing floorpans and some mechanicals but with distinctive bodyshells (a la VW/SEAT/Skoda).

I'd get back into the car-derived van market.

If that lot starts to generate profits, then

I'd Look at MPV's and 4x4's

I'd revive the Morris name as a budget brand. Each time a new generation Rover model is introduced, the outgoing model could be handed over to the Morris team. They would rework and update the old design at a fraction of the cost of developing a new model. This would enable a shorter model replacement cycle. Instead of a ten year production run, a design could do, say, six years as a Rover and six more reincarnated as a Morris.

I'd revive the Riley name for an upmarket luxury brand (assuming that's permissible).

And when the coffers are overflowing I'd look for other manufacturers to take over, if there are still any independent ones left.

Cheers, Sofa Spud, dreaming on.....
I'm sorry but the company was always a basketcase. I am just old enough to remember Red Robbo and his ilk.

Margaret Thatcher decided to dump them at whatever cost and once that happened it was only a matter of time.

Why BMW every got involved I do not know, it nearly bankrupted them as well.

Havng said that all volume metal bashing in Europe will die out over time. Its not just the wages and the taxes its the red tape as well. Could you imagine the planning process to get authorisation for a new factory that like eewww makes smelly polluting things with oil and such like.

Asia will take all these jobs, most likely China.
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - daveyjp
That latest ad won't help - it's nauseating. The last thing I need from a company is to hear how we should buy their goods because they are British made and therefore contribute to the British economy. Why not show someone dying of a terminal disease and showing their treatment from the NHS - then saying buy Rover and you can help this poor person because we employ British people who pay taxes to support the NHS - awful.

MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - 3500S
I think the advert is just a reminder of how important Rover are to the economy which is undeniable. My only annoyance with it and MGR as a whole is they are not pitching Rover cars into the market and it's tacitly apologising. The 75 is better than the equivalent VW, it's the 45 and 25 that do need that treatment.

As for MGR not going anywhere in the last four years, the MG brand has been very successfully been re-established and the Z cars have been very well received, the ZR is the country's biggest selling hot hatch and the TF is still the country's biggest selling roadster. The 75 has been correctly positioned in the marketplace and the V8 has a full order book for six months and its release date is still a month away.

But the biggest news for MGR went under the news radar last week. The SAIC deal has been formalised after the Chinese government issued a 'press release' saying their indigenous car manufacturers must start to produce their own cars. Sure enough a day later the deal was formalised.

So far RD/X60 investment has totalled £300m, MGR selling X-Part to CAT has raised another £100m for RD/X60 and it is thought SAIC is putting in another £400m to fill out the range. The tooling has been ordered and also many of the component contracts are in place.

John Towers' track record with cars is typified by Project R8 in which they got seven cars out of two platforms. RD/X60 promises the same. Saloon, hatch, estate, MPV and 'variants'. The SAIC deal commits MGR and SAIC to develop an entire range of cars. MGR also have a new range of smaller diesel engines under development, they also are still in advanced talks with Proton for the Gen2 platform for a slightly smaller sub-medium car, probably an MG/Rover coupe a la Tomcat.

If you really want to find out what is going on at MGR, my advice is to read the Birmingham Post, they have been 100% accurate in their reporting unlike far too many of the more 'respectable' tabloids. Longbridge is currently on overtime and Sunday working as the facelifts have brought a lot of orders. Lead times are now a month even for the 'old in the tooth' 45. Such is the nature of their order book, there are whispers that the MGR part of PVH may make break even this year. Even the 'dreadful' City Rover sales are picking up.

Yes, MGR have had to hang on for a few years but compared to the doomsayers of four years ago who gave them six months, they have done very well indeed.
My impression is that when Phoenix took over MG Rover, they were genuinely intending to re-establish the group, with exciting and competitive new models. But everything so far apart from the Rover 75 (early on, and developed under BMW ownership) and the MG TF, has been an variation or update of an existing model. Time looks to be running out and the list of options may be diminishing.

Cheers, Sofa Spud
Incidentally, the Thatcher administration poured the equivalent of £15 BILLION in today's money into BL and the Edwardes plan did in most parts succeed.

It got to the point when the Government simply could not afford it. If my memory is correct, we were up to our eyeballs in debt and without North Sea oil we'd still be paying it back now.

It's also worth bearing in mind, that as the fruits of Edwardes plan were realised, Rover had two cars in the Uk Top 10 best sellers and they were making a profit in the mid 1990s.

And that attracted BMW to the party.

Which incidentally BMW probably made the biggest post-war manufacturing balls up of.

What would I do with Rover? Market them, unashamedly, it seems many people's misconceptions are based on the 1970s more than the 21st century. They are different enough in the market, they are made to ride well and get you from A to B in comfort. They do look sufficiently different and in an age of jelly mould conformity that is definitely a plus.

As for being left behind, in terms of the K-series, it being 25 years old this year, many manufacturers have yet to catch up. The Rover 75 plant is amongst the most advanced in the world, it also holds the current record for torsional stiffness and has 20% more spot welds than the new BMW 5 mainly down to the excellent robotised production line.

Which incidentally has the production capacity for 175,000 cars. It's no secret RD/X60 will use the same line.
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - ajit
I think rover waited for too long to tie up with a chinese company. They should have tied up with TATA, a company with good R&D and a strong background which is 100% straight in its dealings. Tata could have done some of the development of Rover concepts and opened up Rover to a large emerging market.

Am sure if the City Rover was priced 2000 pounds less, it would not be as dreadful as most BR's label it to be. It is pure no nonsense robust transportation for the third world. It was never intended to be sold in the UK until Rover asked for it. Bit like inviting a someone over to have a go at him.
TATA are tied into RD/X60.

MGR are heavily involved at Pune, TATA have been recruiting a lot of engineers lately with a slant on RD/X60.

RD/X60 is not going to be a car just for the Western Europe market, it's going to be made in China and I feel, India. So that's the two fastest growing car markets in the world with a presence and not with some CKD Meccano kit either.
That info is not public out here in India. Probably makes a lot of sense - Tata are developing a platform to succeed the Indica/City Rover. Though the car is selling well, it will face pressure from the impending arrival of the Getz, Fiat Panda and may be the Ignis. Rover input would help - they know how to develop cars even with limited resources
A reason for the low key Rover association is that Tata market could be impacted if Rover goes under. Fiat is suffering in India due to rumours that the parent organisation is going bust and .....bad dealerships. Haven't we heard that before ?

I won't be surprised if TATA takes over Rover. They've already taken over Daewoo trucks.
May I just say this thread is impressive and informed (so far).

Normally anything to do with Rover decends in to name calling as one camp thinks anything they do is automatically rubbish and the other camp hates reading anything unpatriotic.
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - Febus
Perhaps we should be asking, Should it be saved? Not how can it be saved.

Why should a failing company (and in terms of what it now has left asset wise, the number of cars it sells etc the spiral is ever downwards) be saved merely to save a few jobs?

Mrs T had the right idea when she got rid of our unprofitable coal and steel industries. The fit survive, the weak don't and I'm afraid MGR is a weak company, producing weak products and is presumably selling them to the weak minded (please read this a little tongue in cheek).
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - Big Cat
Rover need to get out of the mass market and build niche cars. They just don't have the resource to compete in a fiercely competitive market. The 25 and 45 are well past their sell-by date. Rover are good at creating interesting vehicles such as the Streetwise - people criticised Rover but just look how VW and Citroen have now copied the car.
I would have liked Alchemy to have taken over Rover rather than Towers and his team. Alchemy recognised that there was no future for Rover in the mass market and were going to build low volume sports cars. Was a great opportunity missed.
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - teabelly
If the mg-zr is the fastest selling hot hatch it might make sense for them to target the Max Power brigade with a factory built modified car and have a good set of possible options eg tuning, bodykits, interior and so forth. These youngsters think nothing of spending thousands on their cars changing them so why not save them the bother of buying a donor car and altering it, just bung out of the factory looking like it fell out of halfords ;-)
teabelly
The Alchemy plan was a total non-starter and they were the consortium that got to look at the book, Phoenix did not until after Alchemy dropped out.

What Alchemy found that was they could talk a good game but didn't have the resources to do it.

And MG have the XPower and also Monogram options list. This includes such fabolous things as factory holographic paint and bigger spoilers.

In terms of tuning, I think there's a 200Bhp ZR in the offing. Also rumblings of an Australian supercharged ZT220 from the 2.5L V6.
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - Stuartli
Don't be so quick to knock John Towers. He did a lot of good work for Land Rover and Rover in the 1990s.
Some elaboration:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/992051.stm

www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~mem/03_write/24_towrs.h...m
Ask anyone in and around Brum about John Towers and he is considering to be nothing short of a living deity.

He turned around ARG in the 80s and 90s, got out when BMW took over and he was proved right about them in the 1990s and it's his commerical nouse that has Rover still in business now. He has the respect of the moneymen and the unions which is a very rare quality indeed.

If they do survive which I think will happen, nothing short of a knighthood will suffice for me.
I met John Towers many times and was always impressed not only by his ability, but also his great charm and charisma.
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - pd
Just a quick point: The K-Series is 15 years old, not 25.

I've always felt with MGR the challenge was going to be surviving to 2004 and the launch of the RD60. Well, they did the surviving part with some clever facelifts but the problem is the delay in the new model (not all MGR's fault). The 25 & 45 facelifts are IMO a facelift too far and will extend any useful life of the models by probably less than a year.

If they have a new deal in place then lets hope it comes off and MGR do not loose too much money before the new model comes along. It'll have to be good, too.

There are still enormous challenges for them, not least how to replace the 75 which is due for replacement in 2 years time, where to get a decent, reasonably priced common rail diesel engine range from, how to replace the TF, will Powertrain still be viable after Land Rover switch to Ford units etc. etc.

That's correct about the K-Series - it was first introduced in the newly launched 200 Series in 1989.

It was a very advanced engine design and delivered 95bhp from just 1.4 litres at that time, well above even some 1.6-litre units of the era.
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - daveyK_UK
the 1.4 k series is till one of the fastest - compare it to the 1.4 74bhp golf engine.

the reason i wont byuy a rover - not enough models with decent insurance bands.
ie, the only model sub band 4 is the 1.1 bottom of the range 25.
Plus i want a rover 45 size car, but it starts around band 8-9 insurance, where trhe equivelent golf, astra, accent, focus - starts at band 4.

plus the biggest of all these deterents - no small diesels. who wants to drive a 25 with a 2.0 diesel?
i want a 1.4 diesel, such as the fiestas, fabia or 206's. Not a 2.0 which doubles the insurance.

btw - is the 2.0 diesel a rover engine or imported peugeot unit?

no chance of using the indica tata 1.4 peugeot diesel unit in the city rover?
The K-series development started in 1984, so we're both wrong, I had it down for '79.

After a chat with some of the guys at the local dealership, much of Rover's high insurance group is due to the availability of spare parts which can be a problem, courtesy cars cost money to hire.

And the 75 platform will be around for a while yet, if 14 years is about the life of a platform, it really won't be due a replacement until 2009-11 at the earliest. I think a reskin might happen once the 25 has been replaced and cash is a bit more abundant.
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - daveyK_UK
but surelyrover parts are more available than hyundai parts in the uk?

yet hyundai accent 1.3 - band 4

rover 45 1.4 - band 8

no sense?
Let's just say it's had a 15 year production life (it was introduced in 1989 in the Rover 200 in 1.4 form).

The 75 platform should last another model cycle but the normal life of a model in the 75's segment is 7 years. The car industry is such these days that an average model can sell well for about 5 years and then go on for about another 2 with a few incentives and/or a faceilft.

It is as much due to fashion than anything else. Some models don't even last long enough to get a facelift these days before being replaced by something completely different.
>>Let's just say it's had a 15 year production life (it was introduced in 1989 in the Rover 200 in 1.4 form).

That's what I pointed out - I went on the Press launch of the then new Rover 200.
The 2.0 turbo diesel is a Rover unit, known as the L-series. It's a development of the Perkins unit usedin the Maestro and Montego. It's a good tough unit but noisy compared to the latest common-rail diesels.
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - Civic8
I thought the 400 series used this engine.200 used the pug.correct me if wrong?
--
Was mech1
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - king arthur
I thought the 400 series used this engine.200 used the pug.correct
me if wrong?
--
Was mech1

The Mk2 200/Mk1 400 (1989 - 1995) used the 1.8 turbo and 1.9 NASP Peugeot XUD diesels, but the Mk3 200 and Mk2 400 (1995 on) used the L-series. MG-R have recently signed a deal with Indian tractor maker Sonilika to build a new common-rail diesel engine, they also have a deal with Siemens for the supply of a new injection system for diesel engines, this all points to a new Rover 2.0 common-rail diesel developed from the L-series. I don't know if there will be any other capacities.
If the mg-zr is the fastest selling hot hatch it might
make sense for them to target the Max Power brigade with
a factory built modified car and have a good set of
possible options eg tuning, bodykits, interior and so forth. These youngsters
think nothing of spending thousands on their cars changing them so
why not save them the bother of buying a donor car
and altering it, just bung out of the factory looking like
it fell out of halfords ;-)
teabelly

I think they are indeed thinking of doing exactly this, with the Xpower brand.
Perhaps we should be asking, Should it be saved? Not how
can it be saved.
Why should a failing company (and in terms of what it
now has left asset wise, the number of cars it sells
etc the spiral is ever downwards) be saved merely to save
a few jobs?
Mrs T had the right idea when she got rid of
our unprofitable coal and steel industries. The fit survive, the weak
don't and I'm afraid MGR is a weak company, producing weak
products and is presumably selling them to the weak minded (please
read this a little tongue in cheek).

You could have asked the same question about Renault, say, about fifteen years ago. But look what happened - the French Government continued to pour money into it, the French people continued to buy the cars, and now it's a powerful global player with a controlling stake in Nissan.

But I suppose we do things differently in this country...
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - Civic8
>>Why BMW every got involved I do not know, it nearly bankrupted them as well.

They did because BMW wanted the mini.And nothing else.Think BMW made their point ie got what they wanted.
--
Was mech1
There was another version of the 'BMW only interested in the Mini' story. It was widely thought they were only interested in the Land Rover so that they could plunder their expertise to develop the BMW X5.

However, personally speaking, I don't see the 'New Mini' becoming an enduring icon like the original. However, at least it's better looking than BMW's 1-series. Strangely, since New Minis have become a common sight our brains have been tricked into thinking they ARE Minis, making the real 'old' Minis look that much quainter and smaller!

Cheers, Sofa Spud
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - Welliesorter
>>Why BMW every got involved I do not know, it nearly
bankrupted them as well.
They did because BMW wanted the mini.And nothing else.Think BMW made...

The sale of the Rover Group to BMW happened because the then owner, British Aerospace, wanted to get rid quickly. It would have been better for the company if Honda had been able to increase its stake and I seem to remember howls of betrayal coming from the Japanese at the time.

Yes, BMW did obviously want to keep the Mini when they pulled out but it can hardly have been the main reason for their original involvement. The old Mini was well past its sell-by date and the new one was in the early stages of development. In fact the new Mini that eventually emerged bore little resemblance to what Rover had been working on and owed far more to BMW.

Full story at www.austin-rover.co.uk/
Honda were about to increase their stake to 40%. ARG and Honda both had a 20% stake in each other at the time.

BMW came in and made BAE a ridiculous offer that was about double the companies value. BAE should have kept Honda in the picture but it was always unlikely they would take a controlling interest in ARG.

There were a number of factors, ARG was developing Rover into a posh-Hondaesque marque and the blend of Japanese reliability with English looks and styling were proving very successful. Whilst Rover didn't pitch the 600 series into BMW's 3-series sector, many of the car magazines and indeed the public had a much higher perception of the 600 as better than the 3-series. You don't mess with BMW's bread and butter, I can only imagine this alarmed them greatly.

ARG were already working on the Metro and Mini replacement before BMW turned up.

It's also worth bearing in mind, Rover had a full range of cars from Supermini to 4x4. BMW made only 3 cars and a few motorbikes. Also ARG had access to all the English marque names with the exception of Alvis and Healey.

And I would commend austin-rover.co.uk. Many of the all too common lingering misconceptions and half baked truths are replaced by fact. Rover were treated very shabbily by BMW.

They did because BMW wanted the mini.And nothing else.Think
BMW made their point ie got what they wanted

Sorry, but that\'s not correct..:-)

Remember when BMW bought out its first diesel engine? The boffins at Land Rover realised it would be a perfect replacement (after modifications to up low down torque) for the noisy TDi unit in the Discovery.

As a result staff from both companies worked congenially together on the engine modifications and Land Rover eventually, after three years\' work, got its new diesel.

But a more important result was that BMW, which was very keen to get its hands on Land Rover\'s present and future four-wheel drive expertise, got the chance to buy Rover for £720m.

For that price it got the whole company as well as all the land and buildings, yet it was no secret that BMW would have paid a similar sum just for Land Rover alone.

Eventually shoring up Rover proved too much for BMW\'s shareholders etc and it got out, but hung on to the Mini.

British Aerospace\'s problems earlier arose because it took on a business (at the behest of the government) that was far removed from its own core operations and was subsequently very much out of its depth.
MINI was a BMW concept from Day 1. They were not interested in any of the three Rover proposals bearing in mind Rover had Cooper, Moulton and Daniels working on their concepts. Incidentally, these were more in tune with Issy's original Mini concept that the retro lash up BMW comissioned. BMW were impressed enough to show the Rover 'Spiritual' at the Geneva Motor Show. This car was a RWD, rear-engined three cylinder car with more interior space than an S-class in a 10-foot wheelbase. A very interesting concept.

BMW wanted to cash in on the retro image of Mini than develop the real concept itself.

However, MINI itself owes more to Rover's input than BMW's. BMW Munich made a monumental mess of MINI during its design phase leading Reitzle to make the ridiculous claim that the 1.4L K-series was not 'space efficient' because the Munich engineers had made the engine space too small. BMW did not have the ability to make small cars.

The next MINI will not be a development of the current car, it will be much cheaper to manufacture to start with. There is talk it will be developed outside of BMW.

BMW did a lot more than take MINI and sell LR to Ford. They also took R30 with them, the fabled Rover 55 / BMW 2-series medium car replacement which was at a highly advanced stage of development. They also were able to write off MINI's development costs, this fact alone means MINI will actually make a profit for BMW.

The modular nature of the NG engine range and also the variable valve timing component is more a development from Rover's own VVC than the previous BMW Vanos system. Rover's real crown jewels is its engine technology, the production techniques are patented. These are so good, they are used by F1 engine manufacturers. NG was designed to be a replacement to K-series. More importantly, this makes them immune from paying Rover licensing fees for the casting technology. Fees that Aston Martin and Jaguar both pay to Rover.

BMW also kept all the names (including Triumph and Riley) with the exception of MG, Austin, Morris and Wolseley. The Rover marque is licensed to Rover as a condition Ford placed on buying LR. The idea being this would prevent Rover using the name for a 4x4. Rover can develop 4x4's but they cannot use the Rover name for any future model.

In terms of shoring up Rover, it's worth remembering Rover sales rose consistently during the early BMW days and EBITDA was showing a very healthy profit. BMW put all its investment on Rover's books where BMW's model development is kept separate from the BMW AG balance sheet. This was done for tax reasons in Germany, however this lead to it being open to exchange rate flucutations. Rover's books bore the full brunt of R30, 40 and 50 to the tune of over £2 billion. BMW also stopped production of cars still selling well without a replacement, killing off cash flow at totally the wrong time.

In other words, BMW hamstrung itself with a device entirely of its own making.
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - superannuated rocker
I believe it was a great shame that BAE sold the company in such a hurry. How much better if they had floated it on the stockmarket with Honda perhaps taking a greater share'
Two points for the Rover bashers to consider.
Much of the MINI development was done outside BMW by people like Ricardo.
Last October, following a queue of cars between Swindon and Oxford up the A420, I finally saw my chance at a short stretch of dual carriageway to jump the dismally slow queue of vehicles. I suceeded in this and passed several cars one of which was a fairly elderly N reg Rover 416. We then then drove in company down the fairly empty road towards Oxford. Exiting every roundabout the Rover could comfortably out drag my car and believe me I had my foot on the boards.
My car? The wonderful 1.8 petrol Focus that Rover should be emulating, and it could just about hold its own against a 1.6 Rover!!

Peter Bowman
Honda did want to have a joint partnership, but to restrict their holding to around 47 per cent to ensure it remained a British company.

However, others who thought they knew better had other ideas.
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - barney100
They have to bring out cars that are of good quality, reliable and reasonably priced. Add to this a good dealer support and faifr servicing costs and people will buy.
They are already doing this - it's called the Rover 75 but people still turn away.
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - andymc {P}
Been reading this thread with some interest. I would echo the earlier comment that it's good to read a thread about MGR without the usual polarisations.

My 2p worth is that I would be disappointed to see the company fold - I think that in terms of motoring heritage alone it would be a shame. People (including me) would possibly shout "Heritage?? Maestro??!!!" at this point, but objectively speaking how many other volume manufacturers don't have severe embarrassments in their history? Lancia springs to mind, Renault as well. Yet people seem more willing to forgive previous buckets from the likes of Alfa/Lancia because of their modern offerings, or from Citroen because of the DS and 2CV, (and so on) than do the same when it comes to Rover, in spite of the 75 and MG range. (No offence, ND, but I think I'd rather pay for a 75 or MG ZT than a 156, even though I'd be happy to own any of them).

I will be the first to admit that I do not rate several models in the Rover line-up, but I am looking forward to their replacements for the 45 and then 25. I think that what they need to do is replicate the formula for the 75 - create a stylish (rather than fashionable) car which is decent to drive, a bit up-market but for less-than-up-market money, and just a bit different from the clones.

--
andymc
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - autumnboy
Like I said before, get rid of the cheap and nasty looking Tata that costs more than its rivals.

The sales for these are not at all well and are getting worse.

Relaunch the Mini/Metro with a new facelift.
Re the 'New Mini' - Wasn't the BMW boss, whose name I'm not going to attempt to spell, the nephew or godson of Alec Issigonis (which I can spell)?

Cheers, SS
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - Imagos
Re the 'New Mini' - Wasn't the BMW boss, whose name
I'm not going to attempt to spell,

Bernd Pischetsrieder, i think was the chap, and yes he was a relative of Issigonis.
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - patently
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ?

Why bother? There are plenty of other firms to make cars for us. Shut the factory, release the prime industrial land, set up other businesses there, and generate some useful jobs. Diversify the local economy off one sickly firm.

Now that would really regenerate the local area.

[::ducks::]
Well at least we know you are not a Rover production line employee...
If I was then I'd be off somewhere else, first chance I got. Somewhere that stood a chance of surviving.
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - daveyjp
Just seen a revised '45'. Rover win the prize for the largest name badge on any car - the 45 is huge and stuck in the middle of the boot. The 'Rover' badge is spread across the full width -its look silly on the 'city rover' with 9 letters - imagine what it looks like with just 5!
The R O V E R lettering is a throwback to the 1960s. I have this on the back of my P6 and it looks fabulous. :)

In terms of staff jumping ship, the Rover apprentice scheme has one of the highest application rates and also highest retention rates. Also staff attrition is very low at Rover.

MGR might well be a small firm but they do not have a high percentage of debt. Ford is drowning in £80bn of the stuff. GM hasn't made a profit on cars for over 10 years but it's GM finance arm makes very handsome profits that cover this.

VW are in serious financial peril and the new Golf including some £1billion of new plant probably isn't going to be able to pay it back.

Even on 130,000 sales the losses can be covered by cash for the next four years. Clearly RDX60 is utterly vital to Rover's future, seeing as the 45 struggles to sell 30,000 a year, RDX60 needs to sell 75,000 or about a half of the Focus' volume in the UK.

Sure Rover have had their share of howlers, the 800 is my personal favourite for a shed closely followed by the early years of SD1 and the 45 for well, bland looks. Maestro and Montego were actually Austin cars albeit designed by David Bache.

If you think about Rovers that were Rovers, the vast majority are quite highly thought of. Many of Rovers older cars recently appeared in the Top 30 sector of Practical Classics Top 100 classics. The P6 coming in seventh :)

In term of heritage, Rover has a lot of it. 100 years worth. It is the firm that invented the pushbike we all recognise today. It was Rover, not Bentley that first won the Blue Train race. They pushed monocoque chassis design in the 1930s to the fore, they developed both Land Rover and also Range Rover. Land Rover being perhaps the most important world car of the last fifty years. They put gas turbines in cars before anyone else, raced them at Le Mans first and perhaps got the closest to a practical gas turbine saloon. The Queen's personal transport was a Rover P5 and Thatcher lamented the loss of her Ministerial one, It was Wilson's favourite place to smoke his pipe. They and Triumph developed the modern saloon car we all take for granted now rather than some large Farina 3-litre. Ok, some of that is fairly sexy, some of it is fairly mundane but Rover really doesn't deserve its rep for perhaps a dodgy period of four years from 1977-81.

It was over twenty years ago for Pete's sake.

And can anyone remember the last strike at Longbridge?

Rover I think can survive on a mix of tradition and modern thinking, every Rover car up to SD1 was a blend of both and they were all very successful cars.
Fair enough re the other points, but heritage will get Rover nowhere today.

Heritage is there for Mercedes (luckily for them), TVR, Lotus, Morgan, Porsche, Ferrari, Citroen, Renault, Audi, BMW, and so on. All these have clearly identifiable brand histories.

The 2004 Rover Group is the result of various meddlings with a nationalised group based around Austin and incorporating various marques. As a result, the "heritage" that is attracts is that of the former Austin group, not the much more desirable Rover company. The current usage of the Rover branding is widely and correctly seen as a desperate attempt to rifle through the filing cabinets of the trade mark department to identify an old name that the company still has the rights to and which does not sound at all like Austin.

The use of the Rover name for the whole group simply devalued the name, to match the reputation of the group. It was obviously intended to raise the reputation of the group up to the name, but failed.

That is why you will never be allowed to buy a Ferrari Matiz.
But you mention Audi which has some very tentuous links to Auto Union (sponsored by the n*** Party) other than that, Audi didn't exist even 30 years ago.

And BMW, heritage for what? Aircraft engines, stolid motorbikes, Bubble cars? Austin Dixies made under license? Expensive, yet badly selling 1950s sports cars? BMW's Neu Classe, in itself was not a very remarkable set of cars like the 1602 and 2002 and this is where BMW all began. I know this era of car manufacture very well and they weren't much more than slightly above mediocre cars. The 2002Ti had an uneviable record for breaking down or awful oversteer that they made only 1800 of them.

You could say BMW heritage began in the 1980s as yuppy mobiles.

The Rover name did largely come out of the whole BL fiasco largely unaffected, once SD1 was moved out of Solihull to Cowley, the quality of the production improved greatly and the marque wasn't too badly damaged. It's worth noting that just even ten years ago, The Austin Rover Group had successful cars and a good name and it was selling over 450,000 cars a year. It has only been the machinations of the popular press that seek to continually run the name down.

Incidentally, Rover, historically is more well known for big cars like the Rover 75 than smaller cars, that was Triumph, Austin and Morris' domain.

Would you say Range Rover and Land Rover have the same run down name, yet Solihull was the scene for industrial incompetence on a massive scale in the late 1970s?

The strangest thing I find is the people that continually run the company down have usually never even driven one and it comes down to perception.

An even stranger thing I find is the people that have driven one usually say they liked them.

And MGR doesn't have the rights to the Rover name either, it used under free license from BMW. BMW must think it's worth hanging onto.
I did own an Austin product, in fact. It seeded an opinion of the firm that has been confirmed whenever I had driven one since.

BMW and Audi are interesting stories. I thought twice before citing them. They illustrate the point of an untarnished name that is given a reputation by a steady stream of good products (whatever you think about the owners!).

My contrast was, in part, between the lifting up of a name in this way, by improving the underlying product, and the tarnishing of a name by applying it to existing products that are already poorly regarded.

The Metro/Maestro/Montego products were already on the market as Austin/BL products and had set their reputation. Applying the Rover name to them retrospectively didn't suddenly make people think the Metro had improved; it made them apply the existing BL reputation to Rover also.

Had an entirely new range of cars been produced with the Rover badge then it could have acquired a new reputation. But it is now part of the line stretching back to BL. And they are doing the same with MG. A body-kitted 25 is still a 25 even if it says ZS on the back.

BTW, my opinion of Land Rover is not printable either. This is based entirely on the quality of the Y-plate Disco owned by my business partner. Two examples; the spare wheel of this supposedly rugged off-roader fell off while on the move, and the ignition key jammed in the slot (twice). Pass me a barge pole, someone?
Those who live in the outback of Australia know that a Land Rover/Range Rover is the best vehicle off-road in the world.

However, virtually all of them for some years have bought Toyotas.

The reason - often appalling LR/RR build quality and reliability. Not much use in the outback if you are a 100 or more miles from the nearest dealership.

Only the very top of the range Range Rovers are up to scratch.
Patently,

Only the 45 has its roots in the RHonda days.

The 25 was designed and developed by Rover in-house as the 200, on its own entirely British. So was the 75 and F/TF. BMW money paid for the 75 but the design, development and manufacture are British.

Also, MG made their name by taking a Morris and souping it up. MG after all it stands for Morris Garages, kind of the first performance badge like Brabus. MG developed cars like EX181, a 240mph with a 1500cc engine, not bad for 1957.

MG by then had started making its own sports cars but it's bread and butter was the racing specials. Lotus started out in exactly the same way. An MG ZR is a lot more than a body kit, there are suspension, engine, braking and steering tweaks as well.

As for Rover lending its name to cars, a 600 is an Accord with a few bodywork changes and I think anyone that's owned a 600 would tell you they are good cars. As for the Montego and Maestro, Rover had no input at all, they never carried a Rover badge.

You've kind of proved my point in a way, it's all down to perception.
And applying the Rover name to the Metro was a lot more and a badge and a name, there were quite a few engineering changes including the replacement of a A-series engine for the K-series.

It also took it back into the top sellers list again.

And as for reliability, there are still quite a few around today.
As for the Montego and Maestro, Rover had no input at all,
they never carried a Rover badge.

I think you may be wrong, there. I recall Rover-badged Montegos. But I do not claim to be an expert and I am prepared to be disproven.

I may have been unclear in mixing the adoption of the Rover brand and the recent revival of the MG brand. I appreciate that the 25/45 were post Austin/BL. The 25 is still dire though.

The point remains that there was a company called BL which changed its name to Austin Rover and then to just Rover. The products were unchanged at the time of each rebranding. This meant that the names acquired the reputations of the products not vice versa. Thus whilst Rover was a premium brand 50 years ago, it is not so now.

Same with MG. 60 years ago they were a serious premium sports car brand. If that was unchanged they would now be up there with TVR, Lotus, Porsche. But the name has been abused. Yes, a ZR is internally different to a 25 (I was being cheeky) but it is percieved as a tarted-up 25 with wings and such. And the MG name suffers as a result.

Not that the MG name had much left after the MG Metro & Montego, of course....
I should add - I considered the MG ZT last time I changed. I didn't go near it, however, because I am not confident enough that dealers and spare parts will still be there in a few years to keep me going.

There is so much more to buying a car than meets the eye. Rover have the price & spec roughly right but so much else is wrong that I fear that death by a thousand cuts is inevitable. We might as well have done it years or decades ago and saved immense amounts of taxpayer support - funded of course by taxes paid out of the earnings of proper viable companies.
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - Welliesorter
>> As for the Montego and Maestro, Rover had no input
at all,
>> they never carried a Rover badge.
I think you may be wrong, there. I recall Rover-badged
Montegos. But I do not claim to be an expert
and I am prepared to be disproven.

I have a feeling that the Austin name was downplayed without Rover ever being adopted. The cars were simply badged 'Maestro' or 'Montego'. I think the confusion arises from the fact that the badges were the same shape as the Rover ones.

See www.austin-rover.co.uk/press/8-88-2120-a4.jpg and www.austin-rover.co.uk/press/8263-14.jpg for examples. It could be mistaken for a Rover badge and the resemblance may have been intentional.
I have a feeling that the Austin name was downplayed without
Rover ever being adopted. The cars were simply badged 'Maestro' or
'Montego'. I think the confusion arises from the fact that the
badges were the same shape as the Rover ones.

Looking at the pictures, I think you may have hit the nail on the head, welliesorter, and I take back my comments. I could be petty and point out that my mistaken recollection is significant, but I won't. Oh, errr, oops, ah well never mind.
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - Altea Ego
Those who live in the outback of Australia know that a
Land Rover/Range Rover is the best vehicle off-road in the world.
However, virtually all of them for some years have bought Toyotas.
The reason - often appalling LR/RR build quality and reliability. Not
much use in the outback if you are a 100 or
more miles from the nearest dealership.

With a good smattering of Aussie Rellies, I speak with a little knowledge. The reason they buy Toyota 4 wheel drives and not LR/RR is because they dont want to die. If your wagon lets you down in the bush or outback dingo food could be a likely outcome.
>>With a good smattering of Aussie Rellies, I speak with a little knowledge. The reason they buy Toyota 4 wheel drives and not LR/RR is because they dont want to die. If your wagon lets you down in the bush or outback dingo food could be a likely outcome.

Isn't that exactly what I pointed out - reliability....:-)
I think RF was agreeing with you, Stuart, just expressing the slightly higher stakes.

Breaking down on the M1 is a pain in the neck.

Breaking down in the outback is a touch more serious.
And VW .....

They stuck to the rear-engined, aircooled flat-4 formula for so long they were in danger of getting washed away. Then they introduced a front-drive watercooled car, the K70, developed by NSU. Not a success. So they tried again... the Golf!! Bingo!!!!

Cheers, Sofa Spud
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - bbroomlea{P}
I think that MGR has had a rough deal in regards to reliability and status and things are starting to slowly change.

I have had the fortunate option of choosing between an 02 reg Audi A4Tdi or a brand new MG ZS or TF. The majority of people I have spoke to have said get the MG as it is a better performance car and has the racing heritige and image. I also know of two people at work that has bought MG ZRs as opposed to a new Astra and a Civic Type R, one of which has placed an order for the new shape ZR.

As for reliability my Dad drives a fairly early company owned R75 that has done over 250,000 miles on a KV6 engine with nothing more than regular maintenace being carried out. On a few occasions he has had the option of changing the car but has resisted as there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, he is due to replace it with a ZT-T next year.

People should lay off MGR as their cars are far better built than most european alternatives.

Its interesting to see that in Germany the majority of cars on the road are BMW/VAG/Mercedes, in France Pegeout/Citroen and Italy Fiat/Lancia. Why do we insist on buying foreign cars when the courtesy is not returned. Maybe us British should start supporting our own brands like our European counterparts.

Book a test drive, MGR are not that bad......
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - carl_a
Its interesting to see that in Germany the majority of cars
on the road are BMW/VAG/Mercedes, in France Pegeout/Citroen and Italy Fiat/Lancia.
Why do we insist on buying foreign cars when the
courtesy is not returned. Maybe us British should start supporting
our own brands like our European counterparts.

In Germany BMW/VAG/Mercedes are sold at a good price. In France French cars are sold at a good price, in Italy Fiat group cars are sold at a good price.

In the UK MG-Rover products are more expensive than almost everything else and a few years ago were sold on main land Europe cheaper than here.
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - NiceCupOfTea
In Germany BMW/VAG/Mercedes are sold at a good price. In France
French cars are sold at a good price, in Italy Fiat
group cars are sold at a good price.
In the UK MG-Rover products are more expensive than almost everything
else and a few years ago were sold on main land
Europe cheaper than here.

But MGR cars are often heavily discounted from list prices, so they're really not that expensive.
Well, it's good to know that the ZT260 has some credibility despite some over enthuastic talk of terrible depreciation.

Puppetland,

Sorry but regarding the R75, your assertion is simply not true.

According to the Alliance and Leicester guide it was the second best car in the premium sector in terms of three year old prices. Only the 3-series beat it in percentage terms.

As for policy, MGR are one of the very few car companies that does not have a huge lease fleet pushing lots of cars back onto the secondhand market once they are finished with. They cut this back by 90% once Towers took control. They could temporarily boost sales by running a large fleet but it is simply buying market share and in the long term not a very good idea.

This is why Mondeo and Vectra percentage residuals are so bad.

MGR even monitors popular trim and colour options, dropping unpopular ones. If a car is difficult to sell new, it's going to be difficult to sell secondhand. They do not flood dealerships with pre-reg bargains, I got very lucky with mine, a personal favour was called in and also when I asked, they had only received 30 pre-reg 75's all year direct from MGR. Dealerships are put on a lot of pressure not to pre-reg cars either.

As a result, the residuals on all but the 45 are better than average.

Also, because residuals are compared to the sticker price, if there is heavy discounting, the residual comparison is still done on the sticker price. You can still haggle your way to a good deal but usually, 10-15% is the best you can really hope for.

MG Rover cut their prices across the boards by 11% as soon as Towers et al took control.

MG Rover cars compare very well against the prices of the competition, you pay your money and take your choice. I'd be the first to admit that the 45 is long overdue replacement, it's no secret it is.

But as for the cars, they are no worse than a lot of German marques for quality or reliability and in terms of cars like the ZT and ZT-T they are up with the very best of the East for quality and reliability.

MGR are not perfect and there is room for improvement but they are much better than many people are prepared to give them credit for. They do deserve a fair crack of the whip.

They do have management that are focussed on what to do, know the industry inside out and are more than a bunch of bean counters. Many of them have their entire personal fortunes invested in this which cannot be underestimated as a motivator.
Not very scientific, but a quick search on the typical internet brokers linked from this site reveal the discount to be had on a Rover V8 to be in the £1800-£2800 range depending on model which isn't significantly more than can be had off a E-Class or 5-Series. Certainly a long way from £17k.

Discounts on the regular 75 models seem to be approaching £4k which is high, but not that much higher than Renaults, Fords and even some Volvo models are discounted by.

A quick look on my local dealer's website shows 03 reg mid-spec 75's with 4000-10000 miles on the clock going for about £12500. Low, but would a Laguna, Mondeo or C5 do any better?

It would appear that MG Rover cars are certainly sold with significant discounts and there are a lot of quite cheap pre-reg models hanging around but my guess is you could say the same about several other manufacturers.
Incidentally, as far as the Rover V8 & ZT 260 are concerned it won't sell in large number but not because its rubbish or depreciates but because it has a very high tax rating and very poor fuel consumption.

As good and as interesting as a rear drive 75/ZT with a V8 engine may be, I can't help but think that in terms of sales numbers MGR would have done better to put the development budget for these cars towards developing or buying in a larger and more powerful diesel engine for the 75/ZT range.
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - Puppetland
But MGR sales for July have taken another hammering.

This despite all the propaganda of Longbdrige working flat out to meet demand and face lifted cars flying out of the showroom.
Well they can't be doing to well because Rover sales fell 36% and MG fell 26.6%.

Forgot to add (in July).
Indeed, down to a monthly total of just 5177 cars and a market share of just 2.76%. MGR's total market share thus far this year is 3.22% of the UK market - way below the 5% they themselves have said they need to be at.

Sales year on year are down 25% (mainly for Rovers - MG sales are about the same) so far in 2004 so they'll need a good autumn. Thing is, I can't see yet another re-hash of the 25/45 doing the biz.
One new idea:

www.sniffpetrol.com/latenews0408_2.jpg
MG-ROVER - How can it be saved ? - Mapmaker
What an excellent site, 3500! :)

'hen BMW bought the Rover Group in 1994, it has been said many times that Bernd Pischetsrieder was surprised to find the antiquated Montego and its hatchback sister, the Maestro, were still being produced. This piece of modern motoring folklore has become almost a legend, but the truth of the matter was that the Montego and Maestro were due to finish production within the year. Rover had been planning to extend the life of these cars by looking east. The plan for the Maestro to go to Bulgaria had been in place for some time, and then came the opportunity for Montego to be assembled in India. (both operations would involve the assembly of kits shipped from Cowley).

During the early 1990s, a, a deal was struck with Bangalore-based Sipani Automobiles, whereby saloons and estates would be exported in SKD form (semi knocked down) to be assembled in India and sold through the Sipani subsidiary, Dolphin Motors Ltd. These cars were all built in Cowley during 1994 and were complete, save for a few locally-produced components, such as batteries and air conditioning. But when the first cars arrived Sipani had problems getting customs clearance despite a deal having been reached with the authorities prior to shipment on the basis that local content would be increased later with hopefully local production the eventual target.

Because of these problems, when the Montego went on sale in India, it was subject to higher duties, and this meant that prices were higher than planned for. Putting the high price into perspective, the Montego cost ten times the price of the basic Maruti and seven times that of the Hindustan Ambassador.

Sipani itself did not have much of a reputation as a car maker or car retailer. It had only made small numbers of the Reliant Kitten-based Dolphin car and, despite the high price of the Montego, Sipani could offer little more than a tiny network of workshop-style dealers. Another factor in the failure of the Montego was that it was considered by potential buyers as being an old car that had gone out production back in Europe. Indian buyers' tastes had become more sophisticated, and they demanded more.

Sipani decided that in order to counter their own bad name, they would market the car as the "Rover Montego".

The Rover Montego nevertheless found its place at the premium end of the Indian market, where it sat comfortably above the workaday cars from Maruti, Hindustan and Premier, with a suitably hefty price tag. Compared with the archaic Hindustan Ambassador and Premier Padmini he was used to, the average Indian buyer would have seen the diesel-engined Montego as being up-to-date, and well specified, even though its specification was the same as that of the last UK-built Montego Clubman from 1994-95.

By 1995 the Indian car market was being liberalised and several other companies set up production facilities, including Daewoo (with their 1984 GM Astra/Kadett based Cielo), Ford and Opel. Daewoo were the first volume producer to set up shop in India and planned to build 50,000 Cielos a year from 1995, but Daewoo also encountered problems, and despite the fact the Cielo was a third of a price of the Montego, it never managed to outsell the trusty old Hindustan Ambassador!!

The newly liberalized market meant that the Montego faced stiffer opposition than Sipani would ever have anticipated, and despite great promise it never took off: in its first full year, just 236 Rover Montegos were sold, in both body styles, and its appeal rapidly faded. A total of 500 Montegos (approximately split 50/50 saloons to estates - all Clubman diesels) were shipped to India during 1994 and 1995, and the last 51 units were sold in 1998.

As a resident in Bangalore, .................. I\'m sorry, you can\'t say that in here. Mark .

The montegos were assembled in a converted farm. Only the horn, batteries and tyres were sourced locally. Rover ought to do some due diligence when identifying partners. Seem to be always falling for dodgy partners in China, Bulgaria, god knows where else !