What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - Alex J M
Just swapped a 1997 Jap import Honda Prelude Type-S for a 1996 BMW 528iSE and I have to say, I'm very impressed. (It was a free swap, no money changed hands.)

Having never driven or even been in a decent, modern BMW before, I'd always wondered what the fuss was about, but now I've got one, it all makes sense.

Everything about this car feels seriously solid, the doors close with a determined "DOOF" noise, just to let you know there's some proper weight in them.

The straight-six purrs under the bonnet, everything about the car looks superb, even though it's done 105000 miles.

Mind you, it's not a 105000 mile engine, this is an ex-lease car, and according to the (very comprehensive) service history this car got a new engine at 65000 miles, which, looking at the Honest John review and owners' reviews at parkers.co.uk isn't entirely unknown.....

It's also had two new radiators, a new air-con system, a new clutch, new rear suspension bushes and all sorts of other stuff done to it.

Still, this car feels *good* somehow, it looks and feels the part, I keep thinking I've stalled it 'cause that straight-six runs so quiet and smooth. It floats around the roads (I live on the Isle of Man so we have some fantastic no-speed-limit roads to drive around), it's comfortable, it's posh, it's the first car I've owned which my wife seems quite chuffed with. (As opposed to "we've got a blue car", "we've got a black car", now we've got a BMW.)

It's got a full BMW dealer service history, it's in excellent condition, it's a very different car to the Type-S, but I have to say, I really like it.

I only did the swap 'cause it'd be easier to sell on privately, but it's growing on me so fast I may just have to keep it.

Is this the BMW effect? Am I becoming an insufferable "BMWs are better" bore?

www.maroneyswebhovel.com/images/pic1.jpg

www.maroneyswebhovel.com/images/pic2.jpg
Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - Singer-G
You obviously like your car, but with the long list of problems its had you've done nothing to convince me to buy one.
You obviously like your car, but with the long list of
problems its had you've done nothing to convince me to buy
one.

Well yes, that's my whole point, on a point by point basis the Hondas I've had in the past have been a better reliability bet - but the BMW just *feels* like a seriously nice car (and when you drive it, it *is* a seriously nice car).

At the end of the day this a mid-96 5-series, which as far as I can tell is when all the problems were being built into what was a new range at the time, and they were problems which were subsequently ironed out.

This is what I'm saying, by all accounts this BMW isn't a stunningly good car, but somehow it feels like one.

Marketing winning the day, or a genuinely good marque living up to its name despite a few problems?

(Besides which, two new radiators and a new clutch over 105000 miles is hardly a desperate situation, although you'd have thought the aircon would have lasted.)
Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - Nsar
If I may be impertinent...how much? I know no cash changed hands but you sound like you know how much it would have cost you to buy?
Well this is where it all gets a bit funny.

I have been offered £4000-£4500 on trade-in for the Type-S by several dealers, which was far less than I was after (it's been in the paper for £5750 as a private sale).

However, the dealer (Jap imports only on the forecourt) who swapped the Type-S for the 528i was only after £4000 for the Beemer, despite the dealer retail price being £6500.

He said it's 'cause high mileage cars simply don't sell on the IOM (you get five year old cars that have done less than 20K here quite regularly), despite the fact that regular proper servicing means a lot more than mileage.

He only deals with Jap imports, he took the Beemer as a trade-in on an FTO but the guy he usually passes his trade-ins onto didn't want the Beemer 'cause of the high mileage (despite the complete BMW dealer service history) - so he basically just wanted rid of it.

Therefore he wanted the Type-S 'cause it's the sort of car he deals in, and he wanted rid of the Beemer 'cause his usual supply channel didn't want it 'cause of the mileage and he didn't want it on his Jap import only forecourt.

I realise it sounds a bit too good to be true (I get a car that's £6500 on a dealer's forecourt on a straight swap for a £4000 trade-in) - but I had a couple of my mates down who are car nuts (one's a BMW freak the other's a general car buff) and they gave the 528i a thorough going over and pronounced it to be in superb condition. Plus it's got that full BMW dealer service history as well, and on a long drive test drive it was superb.

Guess that's just the Isle of Man for you :)
(Besides which, two new radiators and a new clutch over 105000
miles is hardly a desperate situation, although you'd have thought the
aircon would have lasted.)

What about the "new engine at 65000 miles" and "new rear suspension bushes and all sorts of other stuff" which you mentioned originally. It sounds like this car has had a hard life.
>> (Besides which, two new radiators and a new clutch over
>> miles is hardly a desperate situation, although you'd have thought
the
>> aircon would have lasted.)
>>
What about the "new engine at 65000 miles" and "new rear
suspension bushes and all sorts of other stuff" which you mentioned
originally. It sounds like this car has had a hard
life.

It's an ex-UK lease car and it's had an awful lot of stuff done to it, and it's done a lot of miles, however, it's been religiously serviced and had any problems rectifed at whatever cost as far as I can tell.

It came to the IOM in 2001 and has only had one lady owner and only done 16000 miles since then.

I'm going to get it down to the main BMW dealer here for a full Inspection-2 service and see what the score is, but by all accounts the car is sound, albeit having had a fairly busy life.

I know what you're getting at, it does sound like a car that's been given a good leathering, but when you see it, walk around it, and drive it, you realise that it's still a quality motor. (I purred over the mountain at 80-90mph (no speed limit on the IOM in deristricted zones so totally legal) this evening and it was like wafting on perfumed air.)
Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - smokie
Trying to pick holes in someone's good fortune isn't obligatory ya know guys.

Well done Alex, enjoy the car...sounds like a "deal" to me!
Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - spinner
It's a 5-series as well, excellent alround cars.
Trying to pick holes in someone's good fortune isn't obligatory ya
know guys.
Well done Alex, enjoy the car...sounds like a "deal" to me!

I'm sorry if I've offended anybody. That was certainly not my intention. Alex, good luck with the car. I hope you continue to enjoy it.
Only me, probably. Sorry...I'm having a bad week... :-)
Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - Aprilia
Mind you, it's not a 105000 mile engine, this is an
ex-lease car, and according to the (very comprehensive) service history this
car got a new engine at 65000 miles,
It's also had two new radiators, a new air-con system, a
new clutch, new rear suspension bushes and all sorts of other
stuff done to it.
It's got a full BMW dealer service history, it's in excellent
condition.

Good to know they're so well built! ;-)

Seriously, though, get the cooling system checked. Two radiators in that space of time is most unusual. I wonder if there have been cooling problems in the past.

Best of luck with it and take it easy on those unrestricted roads - you wouldn't be the first BMW driver to find out that the 'blue propellor' on the front doesn't protect you from the laws of physics.
Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - MichaelR
Excellent car. I think the E39 5 Series is fantastic - and I've decided that it's my next car, after I finish Uni ;)
Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - Dalglish
alex jm:

relax and enjoy your bmw.

all the work done on it previously is in fact a good sign.

the new engine was to possibly to cure the "nikasil" issue with early e39 engines. read up hj's car-by-car section and look at his faq pages for links to bmw e39 information.

you have got a good deal. here are some links to get you going.

bimmer.roadfly.org/bmw/forums/e39/
www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/default.htm
www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/bmw.html

Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - PoloGirl
Glad you like the new car.

not being funny but, did you really expect anything else when changing from an old, tinny Japanese car to a German one. You would get the same 'doof' from a Skoda...and people would let you out at junctions! :)

I agree the new engine was probably a warranty swap for a faulty block on the original engine. The two new radiators are unusual though - so keep an eye on the cooling system. Don't forget this car may have a plastic impeller on the water pump - might be worth getting it swapped out sometime (not expensive).
Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - Sooty Tailpipes
" but the BMW just *feels* like a seriously nice car (and when you drive it, it *is* a seriously nice car)."

Jap cars are just sensible anoraks compared to Cerruti leather jacket.
Yes the anorak may be washable at 40 degrees, have lots of pockets for pens and notepads, it may be reliable and keep you from getting wet when it rains, but you'll look like a doek and feel like a dork.
As an engineer, I appreciate good engineering. Japanese cars are very well engineered. There is nothing 'dorkish' about an Imprezza, RX-8,
Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - No Do$h
Japanese cars are very
well engineered. There is nothing 'dorkish' about an Imprezza, RX-8,

Unless you use your RX8 for short journeys and wear out the rotor tips. Or fail to use SuperUnleaded in your Scooby and lose a piston crown.....

Superbly engineered given very tight parameters of use, perhaps?
Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - J Bonington Jagworth
"all the work done on it previously is in fact a good sign"

I quite agree. You'd expect a new clutch and bushes in that time, anyway, and the other stuff just implies that it was taken care of.

I'm very wary when someone says "..and it's never needed anything doing to it"!
"all the work done on it previously is in fact a
good sign"
I quite agree. You'd expect a new clutch and bushes in
that time, anyway, and the other stuff just implies that it
was taken care of.
I'm very wary when someone says "..and it's never needed anything
doing to it"!

No way should clutch and suspension bushes be worn out at this mileage.
The clutch was most likely replaced because of judder, which was a problem on the E39 528. I think later clutches were somewhat modified to reduce this problem.
Furthermore, sometimes rear bushes have been changed to help reduce diff whine (which these cars can suffer from). Because of the way the diff is mounted, noise can propagate into the car through the bushes. BMW again modified the bushes to improve sound isolation (the later ones are of a sort of 'double coaxial' design - i.e. a 'bush within a bush').
"No way should clutch and suspension bushes be worn out at this mileage"

What's the average life of a clutch, then? I should have thought that 105k miles was on the high side...
Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - just a bloke
What's the average life of a clutch, then? I should have
thought that 105k miles was on the high side...

Surely the answer to that question has far too many variables for a "standard" answer

How you drive ?
The type of driving you do ? motorway or town
Do you ride the clutch at junctions?
Do you drive to the edge? ie speed away sliiping the clutch in an effort to change up quicker...

loads of things affect a clutch.

My spider is on it's original clutch.. it's done 116K

( Of course this means it will go the next time I get in my spider)

JaB
Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - P 2501
105k definately not on the high side for a clutch. i have seen many cars with 150k and more on original clutch. i have owned a couple too (but i am easy on clutches).
Took a clutch out of a MB C-Class with 120k miles at Easter.
It had been used mainly in city/suburbia and had a tow hitch. It was juddering a bit when cold and owner thought it must be well worn.
When I got it out and measured it, it was only about 1mm thinner than a new one of the same brand (Sachs)! It was very polished and a little 'burnt' which is what was causing the trouble I think.

I think nowadays most clutches should last well over 100k miles, unless perhaps used in a taxi?
That is impressive Aprilia. Just goes to show the quality of modern components. I wonder how far it would have gone on for if the owner had lived with the judder?
BTW, do clutches ever actually start slipping these days with high miles like they used to? it seems most these days start to judder or clunk in operation when they are ready for replacement.
A change in the materials used perhaps?
Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - SpamCan61 {P}
My scoresheet on clutches over the last few years:-

Astra mk2 : 130K original clutch when sold on
Carlton : 194K original clutch when written off
cavalier mk2 : 135K original clutch when written off
cavlier mk3 : 192K original clutch when sold on

I can't remeber any of my dad's Viva's making it past 60K without a new clutch though.
Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - CM
I have an E39 and have noticed a bit of judder but only on 1st gear. I out it down to not revving hard enough but then thought that that was not really the point as I have been (a) driving for long enough to know how to start and (b) it has only really become noticeable over the past couple of thousand miles.

Is it a problem?
It seems that they don't wear out - mainly start to judder or the cush springs break, or sometimes diaphragm cracks.

E39 clutch judder is common and will really only be noticed in 1st. Sometimes its worse when cold, then again some are worse when hot. It will gradually get worse and its a good idea to swap out the full clutch because the judder imposes additional wear on propshaft joints and rest of transmission.
Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - trancer
I have an E34 and the clutch will occasionally judder, but only when hot. I do very little town driving and in my regular, daily commute it never happens so I chose not to worry about it.
Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - Pugugly {P}
Enjoy.
Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - Oz
I think nowadays most clutches should last well over 100k
miles, unless perhaps used in a taxi?

SWMBO has an H-reg Peugeot 205 which has covered a genuine 31,000 miles only ( ! ) but the clutch is now definitely losing its grip (increasing engine revs fail to result in a proportionate increase in road speed, especially uphill).
Maybe age also takes its inevitable toll.
Oz (as was)
"definitely losing its grip"

It might just need adjusting, assuming that such a thing is still possible!
Oh so *that\'s* what the BMW badge means - davemar
With that mileage its a probably lots of short journeys around town with lots of gearchanges (for every pink fluffy dice speedbump too!) and clutch burning parking manoeuvres (not wanting to make aspertions on your other half\'s driving). Wear is usually down to driving style.

I\'ve had an F-reg 205 for 7 years having done 80k in it with the clutch not needing a change until I decided to change it after a year off the road as a matter of course (changing engine & gearbox).
With the year long lay-off it all got rather gummed up an rusty, so didn\'t fancy using it, hence replacing it. But it still looked like it would have many years left in it.

Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - Civic8
Age won`t come into it drive style will.ie slipping clutch too much on pullaway cant blame the car for that.
Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - patently
Glad to welcome you into the happy BMW owners' group Alex...

There is a problem though - sometimes people give you lifts, and it all comes flooding back!
Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - BazzaBear {P}
There is a problem though - sometimes people give you lifts,
and it all comes flooding back!

Looking good, the world's your oyster.

I don't understand, why would that cause you to have flashbacks?
Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - Captain Alex Zippy O' Toole
Well my goodness, just got the Bemmer back from the main dealer after its "Inspection 2" service (the big one), £455 like, but it's been given a totally clean bill of health, nothing wrong with it at all.

A reason to be cheerful, and no mistake.
Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - PhilW
"£455 like, but it's been given a totally clean bill of health, nothing wrong with it at all."

So what was the £455 for?
Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - NowWheels
So what was the £455 for?

rent for the propellor badge?
I tyoed the same, then re-read the post and realised it was a major service.
Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - akr
The doors shut with a "doof" noise? Interesting that, since "doof" is the German for "daft", which is what you must be for being conned by the so called superior quality of BMWs
"for being conned by the so called superior quality of BMWs"

Would you share your expert knowledge to demonstrate this akr?
Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - akr
Various reasons why I say this. The nearest I've ever got to buying a BMW was to test drive a current shape Compact with a view to buying a new one. To say I was underwhelmed by this £20000 car is an understatement. It was ok to drive and the quality was ok but £20000? Where is my extra 4/5/6 thousand going over equivalent hatches? The perceived interior quality you find in current Corollas, Civics and the new Astra is just as good if not better and if you disagree all I can say is that you've been well and truly duped by the BMW "image" thing. I'm actually a Golf driver so I've fallen for this so called "image is worth paying for thing" myself but I draw the line at the near £19000 they're asking for the new Golf GT TDi and, in any case, 8 years of driving them has convinced me they're no better than anything else. Electrically, they're actually very poor.
And finally if you want any further evidence a friend of my wife's who used to be chief mechanic at a local BMW dealership doesn't rate them and says they get just as many problems with them as anything else. He now works for Honda.
So you tell me, why are you paying £000s extra for that BMW badge? It certainly isn't for their rarity value!!!
Oh so *that\'s* what the BMW badge means - Alex J M
Well the BMW has given way in terrific fashion after just 300 miles, you can read the tale of woe here.

** WARNING ** - EXTREMELY FOUL LANGUAGE, don\'t click on the link if you don\'t like swearing. But since I\'m looking at hundreds of pounds of repairs, (in fact, more than a pound for each mile travelled), I hope you\'ll excuse me the profanity. I am \"Chopley Turnip, and the new registration I\'ve given my car speaks for itself.

www.fruitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threa...5

PLEASE NOTE Alex\'s warning. I have disabled this link from being clickable - you\'ll have to copy/paste it if you want to view it. DD.

Now where did I put that Honda?
Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - Ivor E Tower
Oh dear, you do seem to have had a string of unfortunate experiences. I suspest that you must have some legal comeback against the "outfit" from whom you bought the BMW, and/or against the dealer who just performed the work. Maybe next time you buy, it would be worth getting an inspection by an "expert" and take out a used car warranty?
Good luck in whatever action you do decide to take. Got a Citizens Advice Bureau on the IoM?
That's grim - 300 miles - can understand what you think about your beemer - now where's that anorak someone was mentioning Honda owners need ..... this just doesn't happen to Hondas - unless you're called Sato.

I take it the Type S is gone?
For me, your post over there just reinforces the need for decent moderation on a forum.

However, good luck with the notor.
For me, your post over there just reinforces the need for
decent moderation on a forum.

We have perfectly good moderation (I'm one of the two admins there) - we're a bunch of adults who don't mind spicy language and know not to let youngsters have a browse around the place.

In fact, the hosting costs (£75 per month, high traffic) are largely paid for by the members, people who accept fruitforums.com for what it is, a warts and all collection of people who don't mind a few curse words. (Most of us are ex-gambling addicts, swearing is very much down the list of nasty stuff we've come into contact with over the years.)

Anyway, there's a lot worse going on in the world than a bit of swearing.......

Cheers for the good luck wishes with the motor though, I honestly think I'm going to need it......
I don't think I will ever take aprilia's advice lightly. Twice in the same day he advised getting the cooling system thoroughly checked and only 4 days after his warning, it lets go. I have all the parts to do a precautionary change of the waterpump/thermostat/fan clutch/belt etc sitting behind me and I am planning a long drive down to the motorshow today, so hopefully aprilia can hold off on his predictions until I get back. 8-)

The best you can hope for is that the head is not cracked or warped and that its a straight headgasket job. Hopefully you have an independent on the IOM who isn't trying to retire a millionaire. Don't forget to sort the cause of the overheating when going about fixing the headgasket.
Well the really annoying thing is I paid £455 on Friday for a full Inpesction 2 and service at a main BMW dealer, if the cooling system was so close to total collapse I'd really have expected them to pick it up.

I dread to think how much this is going to cost to put right, all our money was tied up in that car (I only did the swap for the Type-S 'cause I figured I'd sell the Beemer more easily), we're already having to move from Ramsey into Douglas because of this (no need for a car to get to work and lower rents) and if the repairs on the Beemer are more than a grand I simply won't be able to get it done, and it'll basically be scrap metal.

Not good, especially considering my wife is pregnant, due in September, and stopping work in a month.
Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - Mark (RLBS)
I think you first have to have a good luck and see if you can find what caused it.

If, for example, it was a split pipe which otherwise looked ok, then I doubt you've got anything against the servicing garage.

If it was a pipe that they replaced that let go, then obviously you can go back to them.

Others know better that I, but I thought there was a new law which said that any faults which developed were the responsibility of the dealer unless he could prove it was not pre-existing - or something like that. David ?
Hells bells - BMW had inspected it :-0!

I'd focus on that, and possibly a contribution from BM given they had missed it. Especially given your need for transport in your current position.

Excuse my ignorance but could this engine letting go have anything to do with the Nikasil issue? Anyone know?
If so - it is a known problem.
I also think you have some comeback - given you have only been driving the thing for 300 miles.
Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - paulb {P}
Blimey Alex, I think you were very restrained in your language, given the circumstances.

This will be no consolation, but at least it's not a Rover K-series engine to which this happened, otherwise you'd need a new clutch and the gearbox stripped down as well. You will detect the voice of experience here.

I think I would be going to have a quiet word with the dealer who serviced it, yes..... Does the Sale of Goods Act and related legislation apply in IOM?
Oh for flip's sake. (Alex J M and Captain Alex Zippy O' Toole are the same person by the way, work PC and home PC :))

I've taken proper legal advice on this and the situation is as follows.

The dealer who did the swap for the Type-S with me would have been liable for the full cost of repairs or a complete refund *BUT* because it's been to the BMW dealer for a service he can wash his hands of it because he wasn't the last person to do any work on it. Therefore he's in the clear, I have no comeback against him because a third party has worked on the car since he supplied it.

I could take him to the small claims court, but I'd almost certainly lose and be out of pocket for costs.

As for the BMW dealer, I would have to prove that something they did to the car is directly responsible for the coolant system failing and the head gasket subsequently failing.

The fact they did the full service and then the coolant system goes pop *proves* nothing, even though it looks dodgy, that ain't good enough in the small claims court.

I can't get an independent mechanic to look the car over because then the BMW dealer gets the "third party mucked around with it" excuse to use.

I can't get the Vehicle Test Centre here to do a check because they don't do independent tests, they only do tests if referred to them by the OFT. So I contacted the OFT and they said they only refer cars where they have a view to pursuing criminal action, which they wouldn't in this case because what's happened to the car since the service would invalidate that possibility. (i.e. It's been driven on the roads for 50 miles with no one able to verify how it's been used.)

However, the guy at the OFT said he'd contact the guy at the Vehcile Test Centre and see if he'd make an exception and take the Beemer in for an independent test and try to determine the cause of the fault with the cooling system.

Failing that my only hope is to get an independent mechanic to be at the BMW dealer whilst they take it apart (at my own expense) to try and spot what the exact cause of the problem is, and hopefully spot something that can be nailed to them.

Needless to say I'm not optimistic, I'm going to end up paying for this out of my own pocket.

Bankruptcy just before birth of baby. Wicked.

Oh yes, the Type-S has been sold by the dealer already, he was after £5995 for it, I've had it for sale in the paper, on the local classifieds websites and forums and government intranet for weeks and not one person has shown any interest at all (and I was only asking £5500 ono) - yet the dealer sells it for £6K within 3 working days.

I think "unhappy" is the word I'm looking for.
Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - Mark (RLBS)
>>The dealer who did the swap for the Type-S with me would have been liable for the full cost of repairs or a complete refund *BUT* because it's been to the BMW dealer for a service he can wash his hands of it because he wasn't the last person to do any work on it.

I appreciate that you have taken legal advice, but that doesn't sound right to me.

Surely if you can show that the work they did was in no way related to the coolant system , and presumably the dealer can supply you a schedule that confirms that, then its back to the supplying dealer.

Otherwise you'd lose your rights the second you had a flat tyre changed.

I'd def. be going back after the dealer who sold you the car. I ask purely out of interest, but is the selling dealer aware that it had a subsequent service ?
Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - NowWheels
Just wondering if this line of argument makes any sense:

selling dealer has an obligation to ensure that vehicle is fit for the purpose for which it was sold, etc.

To cover himself, any half-way sane dealer would surely do a multi-point inspection and record the results, so that he would have a stronger defence than "I thought it seemed OK".

If selling dealer can't produce inspection record, he's on sticky ground ... but if he can produce it, then independent checks might be able to verify whether the inspection was reasonably thorough (I presume there is some sort of due diligence requirement in the middle of all this)

Me no lawyer, so pls forgive if the above is all nonsense!
Surely if you can show that the work they did was
in no way related to the coolant system , and presumably
the dealer can supply you a schedule that confirms that, then
its back to the supplying dealer.

Well part of an Inspection 2 is to check the coolant system for leaks and flush the coolant system out and replace the coolant, so the BMW dealer did work on the coolant system as part of the Inspection 2.

However, their line is "it was fine when we checked it, must just be your bad luck" - which doesn't really put me any further forward.

I haven't let them have the car back yet because I'm hoping the vehicle test centre will re-check everything BMW said they did, but if the vehicle test centre won't do a check then I'm really on my own.
Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - frostbite
When they were 'replacing the coolant', could they have introduced something which caused it to clag up?
Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - Gazza
I believed Aprilia's old BMW 7-series's engine went the same way as yours, Alex. He had a service at BMW dealer which introduced a air-lock during a coolant change. Engine overheated and head gasket was blown as a result.

Aprilia: Would you mind telling your story again? Sorry for bring up this sad story again.

Gazza
I believed Aprilia's old BMW 7-series's engine went the same way
as yours, Alex. He had a service at BMW dealer
which introduced a air-lock during a coolant change. Engine overheated
and head gasket was blown as a result.

See it's so annoying, if it is the dealer's incompetence that caused this to happen (and to the man on the street it's pretty obvious) then I'm thousands of pounds out of pocket because of their foul-up, yet with no way of *proving* it, I have no comeback.

To them, the cost of repairing the 5-series is peanuts, to me and my wife it's the difference between a stable financial situation when our baby's born and genuine financial crisis.

At the moment I've had to tell my boss I don't have access to a car (I'm supposed to have one for my job) and I'm walking 30 minutes to the bus station to get a 7:10am bus to get to work for 8am, then getting the 5:10pm bus home, which after the 30 minute walk back to the house makes it gone 6:30pm.

The BMW is 1.5 tons of scrap metal sat on the driveway, depreciating every week and no sign of any progress on how I'm going to get it fixed.

Joy of joys.
If BMW worked on the cooling system then it packs up 50 miles later then I would definately be pointing the finger at them. Either they didn't do the work they billed you for, or they did it, but not properly. BMW engines are very easy to airlock and it only takes one careless or impatient mechanic to do it.

The only "bad luck" on your part I can see here would be if the water pump impeller (if still plastic) disintegrated or the thermostat is proven to be faulty. If those two are sound, then it is all on the dealer who did the work.
I was away in Germany last week, doing some engineering consultancy for a well-known German car manufacturer ;-)

Sorry to see your BMW went bang. Unfortunately you're not the first to find that BMW cooling systems can be a bit marginal.
If you click on my 'name' you'll see from my profile that I've been dealing with cars for a very long time. I worked my way up from 'spannering' in my father's garage to being a consultant working for many of the 'big' names.
I've had dealings with BMW's over many years and can just about remember my dad working on the early BMW-built 'Isetta' bubble cars (the 'Rolling Egg') in the early 1960's! My own experience stems from the time the 2002 was introduced.

The problem with BMW's in the UK is that people are so brand conscious that they tend to overlook the potential costs and problems and thus buy into trouble at an over-the-odds price. This is not helped by motoring journo's like Quentin Wilson et al who go on about BMW cars covering 'starship mileages' etc etc - never having taken a spanner to a car themselves or actually run one over an extended period. How do they think ECP and GSF make all their money? Over in Germany its only in recent years that BMW have shaken off their earlier reputation for unreliability.

I remember back in the early 90's I saw loads of the M30 engines (the 3.0/3.5 big-block) where the oil spray bar banjo bolts had come undone and wrecked the cam/followers requiring the head to come off etc. etc. No change out of £1000 even at that time. I've also fixed loads of electrical problems on '90's BMW's.

Anyway, on to Alex's problem.

Well, in your original post you stated that the car had two new radiators. That made me suspicious because a '96 BMW would probably have been fitted with a Behr rad., and given proper servicing it should still be on the original rad right now. I suspect that the car had a history of cooling problems (as so many of the E39's did) and the new rads were an attempt by the dealer to remedy the problem. Hence my earlier posts about checking the cooling system.
How the cooling problem arose is anyone guess - the car might have overheated in the past leading to a minor crack or blow from the head gasket causing gas to leak into the cooling system. Over a period of time this causes an airlock and disrupts the cooling circulation - leading to a boil-up which cuases yet further damage. Other possibilities include a sticky thermostat and duff waterpump.
In another thread I reported how I bought a wrecked-engine E39 last year (stuck 'stat) and rebuilt the engine for a nice profit.

A BMW Inspection II is really not a lot more than a fluids and filters change. They will not be checking the cooling pump impeller or the operation of the thermostat or doing a pressure test. I would expect them to do a basic check that its not overheating though. BMW servicing is expensive and £455 does not buy you as much as you might think. Also, being a '96 model, the dealer would have you down as a 'poverty punter' and the job would probably be given to the most junior technician.

It is possible that the dealer did not correctly bleed the cooling system after refilling. This is what a local dealer did with my 7-series a couple of years ago (only the second time I have had a dealer service in my life!). The engine boiled less than 10 miles after I'd left the dealer and, beacuse of heavy traffic, I couldn't safely stop quickly. The result was a wrecked engine. The dealers will never admit anything and BMW UK will back them to the hilt with legal representation etc. I had to chalk up a loss of many thousands of pounds. A friend of my was actually a salesman at the dealer and even he admitted to me that they were a bunch of shysters (although they paid him well enough on it!).

I would advise anyone buying a BMW to check the cooling system thoroughly - this should include a test for combustion gases in the expansion bottle *and* a pressure test. Treat any replacement radiator or fan unit with suspicion if the car is less than 10 years old (it means either a cooling problem or collision damage!) - the rads and fan couplings always have date codes on them.
Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - Garethj
Another top post by Aprilia, I vote that whenever someone needs their car serviced they call him around at any hour of the day or night. There's clearly a difference between a mechanic/engineer and a mechanic/fitter. Time to post your phone number up Aprilia!

Alex, I hope you can get your problem fixed somehow.

Gareth
garethj: mixing up mechanic or technician or fitter with an engineer is an insult to engineers !

alex: a typo in the original title - "bodge" vs "badge"?
Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - Garethj
garethj: mixing up mechanic or technician or fitter with an engineer is an insult to engineers !

I know that - I'm a mechanical design engineer with a fair few years in the automotive industry!

The point I was making was that most dealer mechanics are "fitters", this is (probably) the faulty part, I'll fit a replacement. If that doesn't fix it I'll fit something else. All at £75 / hour.

An engineer / mechanic is someone who is better educated, understands the processes behind the parts and can fix the REAL problem. I was saying that Aprilia seems to be the engineer rather than the fitter.

Gareth
He's a clever bloke that Aprilia.
OK, stop it, you're making me blush.

Yes, I'm a 'proper' engineer (undregrad degree and PhD).

I too get irritated when I tell someone I'm an engineer and they assume I fix washing machines! Mind you, with labour rates these days I might earn more. Two neighbours in my close are plumbers - one drives a new Boxter and the other (next door to me) has just bought himself a new £39k Jag....
Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - PhilW
It's a sad story and no-one would wish it upon anyone else - I really hope you find a good solution Alex.
It's also a thread well worth reading again, not just for Aprilia's spot on points but also for all the praise for BMWs which now seems rather misplaced - I particularly like the one about Japanese car drivers looking like dorks(that's drivers of Japanese cars not Japanese people!)unlike BMW drivers, and another about the quality of German cars.
Having also read your other thread and the amount of money you have spent on what I would call "exotic" cars that you would have been better off with a Fiesta or something.
Nevertheless, hope everything turns out well - new baby in Sept will take your mind off cars!!Good luck!
Don't get me wrong - BMW's are great cars, but the British go a bit OTT on them. They need maintaining, they break occassionally, they need fixing - just like any other car. I've always found the Germans fairly pragmatic and realisitic about their cars, but for some reason the British seem to have unrealistic expectations of German cars.
In part I blame the motoring hacks. I saw one TV programme where Quentin Wilson was heaping praise on the old E32 BMW 7-series. He was saying that they were underated bargains, go on forever, built like Panzer tanks etc etc. All a load of nonsense - most E32's are a money pit with massively over-complicated and unreliable electronics, the 4HP22E auto transmission (never the most reliable of autoboxes) and a slightly 'dodgy' range of engines.

Modern engineering design and manufacture means that a new Mondeo 2.0i will do 95% of what a 320i will do, and do it just as reliably - for half the money. This wasn't the case 20 years ago when there was a large gulf between a Ford and a BMW.
Now if I was a TV producer, I'd set up a series with Quentin v. an expert like Aprilia to offer opposing judgements on a given car - one from the POV of prestige/cred/whitstles & bells etc and the other to give the low down on what goes wrong on them. How's your camera style Aprilia or have you got the perfect face for radio :)
Well, I have actually been on the telly (couple of years ago) but I wouldn't say I've a 'TV face'. I was also involved with a BBC TV series (as a 'project manager') that ran last Autumn. Some years ago I was interviewed as an 'expert' on the Thrust SST project - LOL! (I had to crib most of the info off the web!).
My experience with the media leads me to believe that most 'experts' don't know what they're talking about. For example, I was contacted to talk about Thrust the morning of the day they wanted to interview - I told them that although I knew a fair bit about the automotive industry I actually knew very little about the Thrust project. The response was not to worry and just ad lib!

At the end of the day always remember that TV programmes like Top Gear are primarily for entertainment, rather than education (ditto Watch.

On a slightly different theme, I well remember about 10 years ago being contacted by an Autocar journalist to be interviewed about developments in vehicle electronics.
He was fairly new to the magazine and turned up at the appointed hour with his tape recorder. After some discussion it became pretty obvious to me that he had very little technical knowledge at all.
Over lunch I asked him about his background. He'd been to public school and then studied music at university, but was interested in cars and 'fancied journalism'. He was a perfectly nice guy, but seemed to be in the wrong job to me.
Anyhow, I saw an article written by him just a couple of years ago, so he obviously stuck at it.
Thanks to all who've replied to this thread, and particularly Aprilia for his very knowledgable insights :)

The BMW went back to the dealer today (cost of getting it towed a mere £80......) and they've got back to me with what the problem is, apparently a pipe has split, but the rest of the cooling system is intact (as far as they can tell at the moment).

They're going to get the replacement pipe ordered (£40(!!)) and they'll fit it as soon as it arrives (around £100 in labour).

Needless to say no acceptance of liability on their part, it's just "one of those things".

Once the new pipe's on they'll run the engine for a while to let it get "proper warm" (the exact phrase I was given) and see if all is OK.

To be honest I just want to get the thing fixed so I can sell it on and get my money out of it and put a nice practical little Peugeot 106 diesel (or similar) on the road.

I never wanted a Beemer in the first place, I only swapped the Type-S for it 'cause I figured the Beemer would be easier to sell - and I have to say I'll be very glad to see the back of it.

With a baby on the way all I want from a car is cheap, practical, reliable motoring, badge prestige and image means a big fat zero (and my wife never gave two hoots about cars anyway, it's just "a red one" or "a black one").

That said, thanks again to all the back roomers for making this a good place to talk about cars, and car woes :)
Oh yes, it's the rocker cover seal that's gone, not the head gasket (early false alarm).

However, the opinion seems to be that the rocker cover seal won't leak again under normal operating temperatures.

I'm a bit sceptical myself, but I shall wait and see..... If it's correct though I can just clean up the block (there's not a lot of oil on there) and hope for the best.....
Well Alex, I sincerely hope it is just the pipe. There is nothing worse than a car that makes you poor!

If they get it all up-and-running and everything is OK then get the cooling system checked over by a recommended independent. There is nothing so special about your car that you need to pay the dealer rates.

Check that the little bleed pipe back to the expansion tank is clear (they can clag up, resulting in air locks). If the independent is good then consider a replacement water pump and thermostat. the parts will cost less than £50 from ECP and it shouldn't take more than an hour to fit. You will also need three 1.5 litre cans of Febi 'BMW' spec. antifreeze at about £3.50ea. unless you can save the old stuff in a clean bowl.
I know its more expense, but its peace of mind on these motors.
Get them to thoroughly check fan operation also - should charge you buttons for that.

I would be interested to know which pipe split, and why. Top/bottom hoses on these should last 10 years.
Also a bit sceptical about the rocker gasket story.
.. I never wanted a Beemer in the first place, I only swapped
the Type-S for it 'cause I figured the Beemer would be easier
to sell - and I have to say I'll be very glad to see the back
of it.

your selling skills must be superb to be able to buy from a dealer, and then be confident to sell on quickly at a profit as a private seller.
Where does he say he was planning to sell at a profit? Give the guy a break, he thought he had bought a gem and it's turned out bad, no need to come over all superior on him.
If you read the thread you'll see that he did a straight swap with the Beemer and his old car in the belief that the Beemer would be easier for him to sell, not to seek extra profits.
It wasn't too bad an idea apart from his lack of luck - BMW's are a very popular car, while imported rice rockets only appeal to certain markets.
Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - Mapmaker
£40 for a replacement pipe & £100 for fitting. Owwwww owwwwwwww owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! Is the BMW such a superior car that 2 jubilee clips (£1.99 - Halfords price!) plus a length of suitable hose (£2.99 - Halfords) and 5 minutes won't do the job?

Now that's where the AA membership would be useful. Free tow home. Chap look under bonnet, sees split hose, cuts bit off his long roll of spare hose & fits it - no charge. On your way!
>> £40 for a replacement pipe & £100 for fitting. Owwwww
owwwwwwww owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! Is the BMW such a superior car that
2 jubilee clips (£1.99 - Halfords price!) plus a length of
suitable hose (£2.99 - Halfords) and 5 minutes won't do the
job?
Now that's where the AA membership would be useful. Free
tow home. Chap look under bonnet, sees split hose, cuts
bit off his long roll of spare hose & fits it
- no charge. On your way!

Well, fingers crossed for Alex that it is just the hose.

BMW bottom hose on the 528 is 'shaped' and so simple bit of straight hose from Halfords is not a realistic cure. Also, IIRC, these hoses might have the dreaded 'quick release' clips on the end.

Anyway, its not just the hose, the dealer will charge him for new antifreeze as well no doubt. I agree though that I final bill of somewhere towards £250 to fix a split hose is a lot of money. I remember buying a full exchange engine for a Chevette from Blue Diamond in Derby - cost £133+VAT delivered! Nowadays you pay that for a keyfob (who says motoring's got cheaper!).
Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - Mapmaker
Most shaped hose can be replaced by a piece of straight hose, so BMW must have been real so-and-sos to make a piece that cannot be.

Fair enough, 4 litres of antifreeze must cost them at least a fiver, and then there's the 4 litres of water as well - do they use Evian or Hildon...

bazza and nsar:

it reads worse than what i meant to say.
i actually meant to compliment him on his supreme confidence that he could sell it on when the dealer presumably did not feel the same about the beemer.

by the way, personally i just would not have that confidence nor would i spend £455 on an official dealer inspection 2 service if the purpose was to get shot asap.

but then that is what makes the world an exciting place - not just populated by boring safe risk averse people like me.

bazza and nsar:

one of alex's earlier notes - copied below - is where i got the flase impression that alex was looking to make a profit. on reading it carefully, it is now clear to me that he was only talking about how good a bargain he had got rather than how much he could sell it on for:

"Well this is where it all gets a bit funny.

I have been offered £4000-£4500 on trade-in for the Type-S by several dealers, which was far less than I was after (it's been in the paper for £5750 as a private sale).

However, the dealer (Jap imports only on the forecourt) who swapped the Type-S for the 528i was only after £4000 for the Beemer, despite the dealer retail price being £6500.

He said it's 'cause high mileage cars simply don't sell on the IOM (you get five year old cars that have done less than 20K here quite regularly), despite the fact that regular proper servicing means a lot more than mileage.

He only deals with Jap imports, he took the Beemer as a trade-in on an FTO but the guy he usually passes his trade-ins onto didn't want the Beemer 'cause of the high mileage (despite the complete BMW dealer service history) - so he basically just wanted rid of it.

Therefore he wanted the Type-S 'cause it's the sort of car he deals in, and he wanted rid of the Beemer 'cause his usual supply channel didn't want it 'cause of the mileage and he didn't want it on his Jap import only forecourt.

I realise it sounds a bit too good to be true (I get a car that's £6500 on a dealer's forecourt on a straight swap for a £4000 trade-in) - but I had a couple of my mates down who are car nuts (one's a BMW freak the other's a general car buff) and they gave the 528i a thorough going over and pronounced it to be in superb condition. Plus it's got that full BMW dealer service history as well, and on a long drive test drive it was superb.

Cheers Dalglish, for what it's worth, having read my own post it reads a bit more brusquely than I intended. Was just trying to correct your misinterpretation rather than try to 'tell you off' for it.
Hey, can you feel it? There's a lot of love in this room ;)
OK Dalglish, I'll call off the fatwah on you, your friends and your friends's friends, after all the sun is shining today.
Indeed, profit was never the intention, I couldn't sell the Type-S (despite adverts in the local press and on all the local websites), but then again the Isle of Man is a very small catchment area.

So I did the swap purely because I thought the Beemer would be easier to sell privately if I got a full dealer service done so I could sell it on with a complete dealer service history.

All I want to do is get my money out of it ready for the baby and when the nearest and dearest stops work.

Anyway, I get it back tomorrow, all fixed up apparently - we shall see.......

Anyone want to buy a lovely '96 BMW 528iSE?
Collected the car today, first pleasant surprise since I got it.

Total cost for new pipe, new alternator belt, new aircon belt, replacement coolant and all labour was only £201.

It drove back from Douglas fine, doesn't appear to have lost any fresh oil, temp stayed normal, no loss of any fluids.

Hopefully I'll be able to get the thing sold now.....
Oh so *that's* what the BMW badge means - ian
Just wanted to add as an owner of a 100k plus 528 that Alex's experience is probably typical of any high mileage non jap car serviced at dealers and that the initial driving impressions (of which in may he was so enthused by) never go away.

They are, if serviced at independents, fantastic cars. Main dealers do a good job in my experience and the labour is manageable but the parts prices kill the bill. It can be a limo or a sports saloon depending on mood. On bumpy twisty roads the ride quality allows much quicker progress than my wifes choppy nervy z3 on 17" alloys.

However having chopped a range rover in for the z3 recently after a series of multi hundred pound bills for spurious electrical glitches, I know the feeling of a money pit and no matter how good the driving experience (not that good either!)can be soured.

Given the prices quoted by HJ at auction recently you did well to get out when you did. Ian