Automatic Family Car - 7thGear

Hey all, I'm hoping the fine folks here can help me with a dilemna I've been having finding a new car. I currently drive a Giulietta, but with a baby on this way, it's now a bit on the small side.

Ideally I'm looking for an automatic (bad knees), that has plenty of space and can handle reasonable long journeys a couple times a month - currently I do about 11k miles a year, which is a mix of commuting on a motorway a couple times a week, and visiting family a few hours away. We also semi-regularly drive to places in the UK and France, and so something that can handle carting around child paraphernalia and luggage would be ideal.

Realistically I don't want to spend more than 15k, especially with the baby guaranteed to up costs.

I've looked at a few cars and the winning options so far are the Skoda Superb and Mazda 6 estate, although finding the latter in a petrol-automatic spec in budget is like a needle in a haystack. I'm hoping for some alternative options that maybe I haven't considered, I'm very open to new suggestions if they sound like a good idea!

Edited by 7thGear on 20/04/2024 at 21:50

Automatic Family Car - Adampr

Your two suggestions are pretty good.

You get a lot of space and a lot of kit with a Kia Optima.

If you don't mind going a bit smaller, the Toyota Corolla and Suzuki Swace are both reliable and efficient.

Your two suggestions are pretty good.

You get a lot of space and a lot of kit with a Kia Optima.

If you don't mind going a bit smaller, the Toyota Corolla and Suzuki Swace are both reliable and efficient.

I'd ruled out an Optima as it seems to be lacking a bit of power, however I've just looked at the top spec ones, and the amount of kit you get for the money is really hard to look past.

I've test driven the Corolla, and whilst I liked it, they're maybe slightly over budget. I also found the steering really light which I couldn't tell if I was a fan of or not.

Automatic Family Car - expat

Hey all, I'm hoping the fine folks here can help me with a dilemna I've been having finding a new car. I currently drive a Giulietta, but with a baby on this way, it's now a bit on the small side.

Ideally I'm looking for an automatic (bad knees), that has plenty of space and can handle reasonable long journeys a couple times a month - currently I do about 11k miles a year, which is a mix of commuting on a motorway a couple times a week, and visiting family a few hours away. We also semi-regularly drive to places in the UK and France, and so something that can handle carting around child paraphernalia and luggage would be ideal.

Realistically I don't want to spend more than 15k, especially with the baby guaranteed to up costs.

I've looked at a few cars and the winning options so far are the Skoda Superb and Mazda 6 estate, although finding the latter in a petrol-automatic spec in budget is like a needle in a haystack. I'm hoping for some alternative options that maybe I haven't considered, I'm very open to new suggestions if they sound like a good idea!

Your situation sounds very similar to that of another regular forum stalwart. You might find this discussion relevant:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/197289/the-time-ha...w

Automatic Family Car - veloceman
BMW 320i touring is all you will ever need. Great 8sp ZF gearbox gives around 45mpg. Should get new enough to avoid any problems. Lots of trims options but I find even MSport pack comfortable.

Edited by veloceman on 21/04/2024 at 03:25

Automatic Family Car - badbusdriver

The fact that you are diving an Alfa suggests you like something a bit different.

With this in mind, a more left field option appeared in my first tentative Autotrader search, the Subaru Levorg?.

There are drawbacks of course. Like all (petrol) Subaru's, they are on the thirsty side, parts are expensive and dealers are few and far between, and they are uncommon cars (only 6 nationwide within budget ((2015 on, up to 70k miles)), but that is 5 more than there are Mazda 6!). On the other hand, they are very reliable (like all Subaru's except the diesel), you have the security of 4wd in winter and/or very wet conditions, decent sized boot, and that 1.6 turbo (170bhp) should be punchy enough.

The fact that you are diving an Alfa suggests you like something a bit different.

With this in mind, a more left field option appeared in my first tentative Autotrader search, the Subaru Levorg?.

There are drawbacks of course. Like all (petrol) Subaru's, they are on the thirsty side, parts are expensive and dealers are few and far between, and they are uncommon cars (only 6 nationwide within budget ((2015 on, up to 70k miles)), but that is 5 more than there are Mazda 6!). On the other hand, they are very reliable (like all Subaru's except the diesel), you have the security of 4wd in winter and/or very wet conditions, decent sized boot, and that 1.6 turbo (170bhp) should be punchy enough.

I do indeed! Have to admit it's not something I'd considered, but I don't hate it from an initial look. The thirstiness might be an issue though.

Your situation sounds very similar to that of another regular forum stalwart. You might find this discussion relevant:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/197289/the-time-ha...w

Thanks for linking this, what a nightmare. They settled on a C200 I see, which is a compelling option. Are the auto boxes on these good? The thing putting me off the Superb is the DSG.

Automatic Family Car - Heidfirst

Toyota Corolla estate (or it's Suzuki Swacealter ego) should be doable depending upon your limits for age/mileage etc.

Automatic Family Car - John F

We also semi-regularly drive to places in the UK and France, and so something that can handle carting around child paraphernalia and luggage would be ideal.

I've looked at a few cars and the winning options so far are the Skoda Superb and Mazda 6 estate, although finding the latter in a petrol-automatic spec in budget is like a needle in a haystack. I'm hoping for some alternative options that maybe I haven't considered...

I would consider the ubiquitous Stellantis powertrain (1.2 puretech plus Aisin's EAT6 autobox). We have it in our old shape Peugeot 2008 but they are also found in Citroens and Vauxhalls. (Always best to have a French car in France.....painful memories of trying to get a new HT lead for an old VW Passat in the depths of rural France!)

Automatic Family Car - SLO76
Similar situation to myself as already mentioned. I ultimately shortened my list down to a Mazda 6 petrol or Skoda Superb estate. But could I find a good one that had a full history, no poor paint repairs or hadn’t been clocked? No I could not. The used car trade is appalling.

Cars are almost all taken from new on PCP or lease. It’s very common for them to be utterly neglected, never serviced or the service book stamped by a fake stamp bought on eBay - the reason why many manufacturers have done away with service books. Take a Quick Look online for “digital mileage correction” and you’ll usually find loads of fly guys offering this service locally despite there being almost no legitimate requirement for it. Cars are taken on 5/8k pa contracts then wound back to avoid costly penalties at the end of contract. Paint repairs are made on the cheap before returning them too, often using a rattle can on the driveway. I've never known a time when the used cars available were of such a poor standard.

I looked around for months, viewed God knows how many cars and found major problems with them all. I was so fed up I almost decided to spend money renovating my ancient Toyota Avensis instead. Replacing much of the suspension and under sealing it would’ve given it another ten years of life easy enough, but SWMBO wasn’t best impressed by my thinking.

I ended up buying something I never intended on buying (as I don’t like prestige brands) a Mercedes C200 Estate auto. Fingers crossed it lasts well as I truly hate buying cars.

Yeah I saw the thread someone kindly linked earlier, and I feel your pain. I've looked at many different options so far and there's always something slightly amiss. The Mazda 6 is lovely, but as I said they're just so few and far between.

I have started considering the Merc, how are you finding it? There's so many different specs for them it's a bit of a minefield.

The VAG DSGs worry me a little, which is the main thing putting me off the Superb and Seat Leon ST.