Peugeot 3008 - Lease Car - Mechanical fault during (non)delivery - TheActionVerb

I have taken out a 2 year lease (not PCP/.finance etc) on the 3008, which made financial sense for us given our particular circumstances.

The car was not delivered on the day, and on inquiring with lease company late afternoon, they said that the dealer advised that the car developed a mechanical fault on its way. They first said it was a recall issue, and then also added that the dealer said something about MLT. They didn't know what that meant. Sounds suspiciously like a "Management Light something" to me.

I've now been told that it will be fixed by end of next week (two weeks after original delivery date) and that a new delivery date will be provided.

I am waiting for an answer as to what the mechanical fault is/was and what repairs are being made. Presumably if i'm taking out a lease on the car, i've got a right to know what work is being carried out.

The car was registered Feb 24 (it was 'new car' lease), and I am now therefore on the hook for the 1st and 2nd year service (although that would have probably been the case anyway).

Would be grateful for advice on what my next steps should be. I have flagged with the leasing company that I may be requesting a cancellation or a replacement vehicle. I expect the leasing company will want to keep all or part of their fee (£270 i think it was) if cancelled, but not if i request a replacement. They tried to dissuade me from requesting a replacement vehicle on the basis that it will be another 4-6 weeks for a different vehicle to be allocated and delivered.

It was a reasonably good deal, with the same lease with the same leasing company circa £2,000 higher over the 2 year lease period.

I do still have my old car, so a new car is not extremely urgent, albeit would like one sooner rather than later.

Peugeot 3008 - Lease Car - Mechanical fault during (non)delivery - Adampr

If it's on a lease, does it really matter? Personally, I wouldn't bother with the definite hassle of trying to get it exchanged for fear of the possible hassle of a problem appearing down the line. Isn't the whole point of a lease that you don't have to think about these things? When I took my leased car in for a service, they produced pages of fault codes, told the lease company and then handed me the keys.

Peugeot 3008 - Lease Car - Mechanical fault during (non)delivery - TheActionVerb

Thanks - just wasn't sure whether i should be accepting a car that has some (potentially significant) issue that will mean it will need to go back to the dealer for more work, and potentially leave me without a car.

Not had a lease before, so all new ground.

Check the terms of your lease, but they almost always include a courtesy car.

Peugeot 3008 - Lease Car - Mechanical fault during (non)delivery - Gibbo_Wirral

You can find out what recalls a car model has on the DVLA website.

www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-recall

Thanks - have tried this, it's saying that there is a problem with the recall service, and to speak directly with the dealership.

It's now been a week back with the dealer, and i've still been not told what the issue was despite a few chases.

Peugeot 3008 - Lease Car - Mechanical fault during (non)delivery - Brit_in_Germany

Has the lease actually started or does it start on delivery?

I don't believe the lease has started as yet, but will double check. I've not had any payments taken.

Peugeot 3008 - Lease Car - Mechanical fault during (non)delivery - edlithgow

When I took my leased car in for a service, they produced pages of fault codes, told the lease company and then handed me the keys.

Not sure I understand, never having had a fault code, because I;ve never owned anything that could generate one.

If you don't have to fix them, what are they for?

Very confused.

So the leasing company have said that the mechanical error was due to a recall issue that needed actioning, which has now been rectified. No further details are available.

I have checked the recall history on this link - i don't think I have the VIN, so cant search that way on the Peugeot website.

www.check-vehicle-recalls.service.gov.uk/recall-ty...r

The vehicle was made in Feb 2024, albeit it is the 2020-2024 'version' of the 3008. There are no recall details on this vehicle between 2021-2024 on the above link.

There were two recalls in 2020, which only affected circa 6,000 vehicles. I assume those are not relevant.

Any ideas? Or am I over-thinking it.

Edited by TheActionVerb on 19/04/2024 at 16:08

Peugeot 3008 - Lease Car - Mechanical fault during (non)delivery - leaseman

You keep referring to "the leasing company" OP, but you are talking, are you not, about a broker who has taken a fee off you for arranging the lease?

You will have signed a Contract with the actual Leasing Company.

Look them up, call their customer helpline and find out what is happening. The Broker could be telling you anything. The actual Leasing Company will be just as anxious as you to learn the truth.

A pretty unsatisfactory ongoing situation.

The broker has provided a number of updates, essentially just forwarding emails that the dealers is sending, providing various updates on timescales for the repair. Latest email is now saying a repair is scheduled for w/c 20th May, having previously said it was going to fixed and ready for delivery last week.

I've been provided with a screenshot referencing a recall, but having spoken with 4 different people now at the broker, it turns out that the issue is with the battery (it is mild hybrid).

The broker's sale team are not providing any alternative solution and directing to the website for their latest stock / offers.

The leasing company are not involved until the delivery made, and at this point they take ownership of the car, so they don't have any details and not much interest in the delays.

I seem to have no option other than to sit and wait, and hope that the car will be delivered as promised in end of May, or cancel the order and try my luck elsewhere. Had the deal not been a pretty good one in lease terms, I would have cancelled this order a long time ago.

Peugeot 3008 - Lease Car - Mechanical fault during (non)delivery - FiestaOwner
I seem to have no option other than to sit and wait, and hope that the car will be delivered as promised in end of May, or cancel the order and try my luck elsewhere. Had the deal not been a pretty good one in lease terms, I would have cancelled this order a long time ago.

You're getting mucked about here. I wouldn't be at all surprised if they miss the new delivery date too. Do you really think their repair will be satisfactory?

Personally, I would cancel the order, while you still can.

As a further update, absolutely no further attempts to provide any resolution or assistance.

Have emailed directly some of the directors within the business, and no response.

This is Nationwide Vehicle Leasing as the broker if of any interest to anyone.

All very disappointing really. They have given me a name and number for someone at Stellantis to speak with next week.

I'm now thinking of going back to Plan A, and buying a second hand SUV (an estate is not permitted by the powers that be)... all very annoying really.

Peugeot 3008 - Lease Car - Mechanical fault during (non)delivery - pepe123

This seems to be a global problem with all 3008 MHEV deliveries. Mine was supposed to be delivered last week and was delayed without any ETA. The broker said that the Peugeot factory have directly advised that no vehicles will be delivered between now and the 17th May. They have no updates as to when after that date they may be ready to deliver as they have hundreds, if not thousands vehicles to check.

Oh interesting, thanks. I assume a different broker?

I have spoken with someone from Stellantis today, he said that they're likely needing to check both the normal and the MHEV battery, as there are recalls currently on both. His assumption was that they are going to be replacing the MHEV battery, hence waiting on the delivery of a new battery and this date was TBC, but it sounded like guesswork. It sounded like he was working off fairly limited information as he only had the information from the processing centre. Your date of Friday 17th May, aligns loosely with the 20th May I was told as anticipated week for resolving the issue, but not sure what that's based on. If they have thousands of cars they need to test......

Peugeot 3008 - Lease Car - Mechanical fault during (non)delivery - pepe123

Different broker, yes. They've now changed the expected delivery date to June. Obviously end of May, as they initially suggested is unrealistic.

When I took my leased car in for a service, they produced pages of fault codes, told the lease company and then handed me the keys.

Not sure I understand, never having had a fault code, because I;ve never owned anything that could generate one.

If you don't have to fix them, what are they for?

Without wishing to hijack the whole thread, they normally refer to something that has previously happened been stored. Standard practice seems to be to clear all of them, then see which ones come back (so are still current). They did this on my car, but noted that there was one code that kept recurring, indicating a likely problem. I told them that the car was leases and the lease was nearly up, and they told me not to.worry about the recurring code but they'd let the lease company know in case they wanted it fixed.