Mazda 6 - disappointed with a fine - johnmazda

So it's coming to a year since I've had my license, will be next week infact and so far I've only made one expensive blunder which is when I drove into a LTN in the my first or second week that I had my car. That is until today...

I messed up last week - "performing a prohibited turn" (right turn) from a main street to a minor street in Clapham, south London.

Now having a look through the maps I think the sign could be better placed - www.google.com/maps/@51.452844,-0.1427185,3a,75y,2...u

Also here's the view of the road from the front end - www.google.com/maps/@51.4528936,-0.1429864,3a,75y,...u

There should just be no entry sign if you can't turn right and go down that road. Easy mistake to make I guess?

I'm also angry because I was using Google maps as well and it shouldn't have sent me down there I believe...? I don't know.

Anyway I'll pay this, no point appealing, ultimately it's my fault but my last question I'm assuming this does not affect insurance, only points do right? And thankfully I don't have any of those.

I just need to get my second year of driving over with and then I can relax a little but these fines are incredibly frustrating.

Mazda 6 - disappointed with a fine - Adampr

No, you don't need to declare any fines.

The reason that road doesn't have a no entry sign is that you are allowed to go down it turning left. It's no right turn into it, probably because it was getting abused as a short cut / rat run.

Your second clue, if you missed the sign, was the 'build out' (sticky out curvey bit) that was meant to make you realise that you're not supposed to drive down there.

You get a lot of these daft things in London (and Bristol, and presumably other places). Where I used to live (Stamford Hill) there were certain roads that you were not allowed to enter from one direction at night time. All to do with ladies of the night apparently.

No, you don't need to declare any fines.

The reason that road doesn't have a no entry sign is that you are allowed to go down it turning left. It's no right turn into it, probably because it was getting abused as a short cut / rat run.

Your second clue, if you missed the sign, was the 'build out' (sticky out curvey bit) that was meant to make you realise that you're not supposed to drive down there.

You get a lot of these daft things in London (and Bristol, and presumably other places). Where I used to live (Stamford Hill) there were certain roads that you were not allowed to enter from one direction at night time. All to do with ladies of the night apparently.

Thanks,yes hard to see the curvey bit as well. Also not an area I have driven before so again I need to perhaps slow down a little in areas that are unfamiliar I guess.

Just annoyed still!

Mazda 6 - disappointed with a fine - galileo

Now having a look through the maps I think the sign could be better placed - www.google.com/maps/@51.452844,-0.1427185,3a,75y,2...u

Also here's the view of the road from the front end - www.google.com/maps/@51.4528936,-0.1429864,3a,75y,...u

There should just be a no entry sign if you can't turn right and go down that road. Easy mistake to make I guess?

Looks as if you can turn in to that road a a left turn, that is why there isn't a No Entry sign

Mazda 6 - disappointed with a fine - catsdad

John. I have every sympathy. That’s a very broad street and one sign on the opposite kerb could easily be missed or obscured if traffic was busy. Also if you move back through your first picture the sign would be obscured from some angles by the ruddy great plane tree.

As the built out pavement equally narrows the access for traffic from both directions I wouldn’t have seen that as an indication not to turn right. But perhaps it is.

Assuming the meagre sign meets the regulations I think that, as you say, you are going to have to pay.

Mazda 6 - disappointed with a fine - gordonbennet

I got one a few years ago, Bullsmoor Lane Enfield, i normally go down the road at around 6am any day of the week, the bus lane doesn't become operational till 7am, one Saturday morn i'm going down there at 730ish and inadvertantly strayed onto the bus lane completely forgetting the bus lane timing.

Following week a picture of a completely clear road arrived, clear that is apart from me straddling the bus lane, £60 if i recall if paid promptly, the company did so and i repaid the fine.

You have to view these things for what they are, up to a point a means of revenue, also personally i've got away with countless wrongdoings on the road over many years, this time i got caught fair and square, no complaints.

Mazda 6 - disappointed with a fine - Bromptonaut

Forty or so years ago we had a flat on Bessborough Road in Harrow. Right hand side, first floor.

maps.app.goo.gl/ZMhqf54XJ3uxuHAX6

Then, as now, there was a right turn prohibition into Butler Avenue, the road with the 20 limit. Reason I think was that traffic waiting to turn right worsened congestion.

It was widely missed or ignored and there were also frequent minor accidents when people aborted an attempted turn at the last second.

Forty or so years ago we had a flat on Bessborough Road in Harrow. Right hand side, first floor.

maps.app.goo.gl/ZMhqf54XJ3uxuHAX6

Then, as now, there was a right turn prohibition into Butler Avenue, the road with the 20 limit. Reason I think was that traffic waiting to turn right worsened congestion.

It was widely missed or ignored and there were also frequent minor accidents when people aborted an attempted turn at the last second.

That looks even worse than the one I've got done for!

I got one a few years ago, Bullsmoor Lane Enfield, i normally go down the road at around 6am any day of the week, the bus lane doesn't become operational till 7am, one Saturday morn i'm going down there at 730ish and inadvertantly strayed onto the bus lane completely forgetting the bus lane timing.

Following week a picture of a completely clear road arrived, clear that is apart from me straddling the bus lane, £60 if i recall if paid promptly, the company did so and i repaid the fine.

You have to view these things for what they are, up to a point a means of revenue, also personally i've got away with countless wrongdoings on the road over many years, this time i got caught fair and square, no complaints.

Thanks for the response. Yes that would have caught out most people but at least the bus lanes when in operation are obvious and not easy to miss, unless of course the lines are so faded.

I suppose yes we've all made mistakes where we may have got it away with it so this somewhat makes up for it I guess.

Mazda 6 - disappointed with a fine - barney100
Don’t think too much of it. It’s difficult to avoid getting done these days, authorities are raking money in with cameras, speed traps etcn Can’t spot everything.

John. I have every sympathy. That’s a very broad street and one sign on the opposite kerb could easily be missed or obscured if traffic was busy. Also if you move back through your first picture the sign would be obscured from some angles by the ruddy great plane tree.

As the built out pavement equally narrows the access for traffic from both directions I wouldn’t have seen that as an indication not to turn right. But perhaps it is.

Assuming the meagre sign meets the regulations I think that, as you say, you are going to have to pay.

Thanks for response. Yes exactly it is somewhat obstructed by the tree and also if you notice in the second picture which is from 2019 the sign didn't exist! It was only perhaps last year that they put this up - like most of the other craziness in London now from LTNs to more 20mph zones.

Mazda 6 - disappointed with a fine - Warning

This should be telling you something about your driving, you need to adjust your driving to pay more attention to traffic signs. I certainly think they need to have painted the road slightly differently. In a busy city such as London, there can be many thing going on.

Yellow box junctions are another money maker. Traffic signal timing changes are another, where light turn green and then quickly turn red.

You need to pay close attention to the 20mph zones.

Google Maps can sometimes be out of date, and in a few cases, it can take a couple of years to update.

This should be telling you something about your driving, you need to adjust your driving to pay more attention to traffic signs. I certainly think they need to have painted the road slightly differently. In a busy city such as London, there can be many thing going on.

Yellow box junctions are another money maker. Traffic signal timing changes are another, where light turn green and then quickly turn red.

You need to pay close attention to the 20mph zones.

Google Maps can sometimes be out of date, and in a few cases, it can take a couple of years to update.

Oh I'm very cautious! If anything too much sometimes that more often than not I'm under the speed limit and always take note of where cameras are so am very careful but these signs are just popping up when you least expect them and there's more of them in London than say a few years ago. Like I said in the example, that sign only came up in the last two years I reckon because it wasn't there in 2019 (According to google). Also very annoying that Google didn't update this themselves and led me down there!

Mazda 6 - disappointed with a fine - movilogo

How did you get caught? In the Google map could I not see any camera!

Sat Navs can be way out of date - especially with signs like this.

Sometimes no right turn signs have associated no U turn signs too. Otherwise drivers could simply go forward, make a U turn and then turn left - which means they have done nothing illegal.

Mazda 6 - disappointed with a fine - Engineer Andy

As are bus only lanes with cameras, which mostly are empty 99% of the time.

Now just to add insult here, I went to try and pay this fine, this morning and when I go onto here - www.lambeth.gov.uk/payments and enter my PCN reference number it's not working! It says the PCN is not recognised... Has this happened before to anyone?

I remember the first fine I got I paid and had no issues. So what's this about?

Just to check the reference number they want is at the top right hand corner of the paper?

So in this mine starts with two letters, then 7 numbers and then another letter at the end. So 10 characters in total.

To be clear this is the right page - www.lambeth.gov.uk/make-payment/penalty-notices-fi...s

Also when I ring up the phoneline - 0333 800 5005 to pay, the automated AI comes on, and asks me to enter the number, it says it's not recognised either!

I try this website enter my details - pcnevidence.lambeth.gov.uk/pcnonline/index.php

and it says this service is not currently available!

How useless are these people.

Edited by johnmazda on 10/02/2024 at 11:19