used car prices - DieselMan1966

Evening all

I've been chatting to a couple of used car dealers in the Durham area and some of them recon that used car prices will fall later this year around August to October, possible with the new car supply situation easing, would this be correct any ideas if this would be correct?

used car prices - SLO76
While looking for a car myself recently I have noticed that prices have eased on stock that’s 5/6yrs old. But there is still a shortage of 2-3yr old stock thanks to Covid shutdowns and component supply difficulties over the last few years. Prices on recent petrol models which aren’t being replaced thanks to moves to force EV’s on us will I think remain high and family sized petrol hybrids are overpriced compared to fuel savings that normal users would see as taxi fleets are buying up large numbers of them, though used EV’s are becoming more appealing as there’s now a glut of some models on the market which is heavily depressing prices. It’s all a bit weird and hard to predict.
used car prices - catsdad

From my limited perspective they may already be correcting.
Looking at asking prices I reckon my 2020 Vitara, bought in October, would now be priced at 10-15% less. Its trade in value (from pricing tools not real offers) is probably only two thirds of what I paid for it. So dealer margins are returning.
New cars are also advertised on Autotrader at good discounts albeit in limited numbers.
We Buy Any Car offers are well down on our wider family fleet that I casually monitor.
Whether these isolated examples are representative of a trend only time will tell.
The big factor in pushing up future used prices may be the £15k per car fine manufacturers will face for new ICE cars above their quota. The implications on price and availability hasn’t yet dawned on the wider public.
Overall, as SLO says, it’s hard to predict.

used car prices - Engineer Andy

I've definitely seen used prices slid since Autumn 2023 through to now. Been keeping an eye on the local dealers' stock. Seen quite a few that have only been on sale for a month or two already drop in price by 5%+. Often dependent upon the car being sold, as we've discussed in another thread.

What may put a brake (pardon the pun) on that may be events (as usual) in the Middle East, where fuel and transporting of components, and finished vehicles from Asia may become in the short to medium term a good deal more expensive.

Apparently values are holding up best in cars that are in the £2k - £5k range, presumably because the still large price premiums generally are forcing many buyers to buy older cars. Supermini sized, efficient petrol hatchbacks and practical cars seem to still be selling well.

used car prices - veloceman
I have been following my son’s 68 plate Audi A3 1.5tsi.
Back in November WBAC offered £12,000. After 3 emails showing an increased offer. Last week they now up to £13,875.
used car prices - Hugh Watt

Been keeping an eye on the local dealers' stock. Seen quite a few that have only been on sale for a month or two already drop in price by 5%+. .

Not all dealers will use Autotrader - but there's a very simple and helpful extension to the Chrome browser called AT Price Tracker which lists the previous price points any car may have been posted at. Different sellers may have different pricing policies - does a reducing price indicate a possible bargain or just a non-selling lemon? - , but it's interesting to be able to see the changes.

used car prices - veloceman
Coincidentally another increased offer today of £14,160

That's very strange. Maybe that specific model/engine/trim combo is in demand and they can easily flog it for a high price.

Incidentally, what do WBAC do with the cars they buy - flog them direct to dealers (indie and/or main dealers?) or just auction them off?

Edited by Engineer Andy on 21/01/2024 at 21:48

used car prices - RT

That's very strange. Maybe that specific model/engine/trim combo is in demand and they can easily flog it for a high price.

Incidentally, what do WBAC do with the cars they buy - flog them direct to dealers (indie and/or main dealers?) or just auction them off?

WBAC is part of BCA, so they go straight to closed auction - their business model is that they know from BCA what sells and present prices and make their offer accordingly - so cars with low demand will get a low priced offer.

WBAC is part of BCA, so they go straight to closed auction - their business model is that they know from BCA what sells and present prices and make their offer accordingly - so cars with low demand will get a low priced offer.

Useful to know - thanks.

used car prices - alan1302

Useful to know - thanks.

And they own Cinch as well - which is probably why they are doing better than Cazoo - they already have the cars and facilities to move cars around the country.

used car prices - Grenache

I changed my car recently and traded-in the old one. Having had various trade-in quotes, two dealers offered me 15% above the WBAC offer. I now see my old car at another dealer being offered for sale at more than I paid for it as a used car 3 years ago.

used car prices - Big John

Two separate car price things buried in that

1) "I now see my old car at another dealer being offered for sale at more than I paid for it as a used car 3 years ago" - Used car sale prices rose dramatically as a knock on effect during covid due to the lack of new car availability (chip shortage etc...) and haven't yet dropped pre covid levels. My son bought a 2016 Octavia at the end of 2019 and even today it would cost him more to buy a similar 2016 car even though it's now older etc..

2) "Having had various trade-in quotes, two dealers offered me 15% above the WBAC offer." - This is usually normal - trade-in quotes are part of the overall cost to change deal, trade in prices are sometimes inflated to attract a customer but you'll get less discount as part of the transaction.

Hopefully things are getting more back to normal.

Edited by Big John on 02/02/2024 at 09:28